John Swanson Yarbrough Archives Newspaper Articles
Last Updated on Tuesday, 19-Jul-2005 00:38:16 MDTHouston Co., TX - 24 May - John Denson and Mary Ann Crawford
Houston County Courier
May 24, 2001 Edition
Denson family homesite receives historical marker
Further recognition of the Denson family and their contributions to the development of Houston County will come with an official Texas Historical Marker for the Denson Homesite and Cemetery, according to Eliza Bishop, marker chirman.
The 18-inch by 28-inch marker with post has been ordered from the San Antonio Foundry. It will be erected on the FM 227 right-ow-way, 27 miles east of Grapeland near the intersection of Tyer Cemetery Road. The homesite is .7 mile south of the marker location.
Research and documentation is the work of Jerry Brimberry of Lilburn, Ga., with assistance from Wanda B. Winter of S. Louis, Mo., and Miss Bishop. The marker inscription:
Near this site is evidence of the 195h Century home and burial ground used by the family of John and Mary Ann Denson, John Denson (1815- c. 1861) arrived in this area in 1835 with his parents, Thomas C. and Polly Denson who were Predestination Baptists with Elder Daniel Parker. In 1837 John signed the petition calling (for the creation of Houston County.
In 1839 he married Mary Ann (Crawford) Houston (1817-c. 1874), whose first husband was a relative of Sam Houston, according to family tradition. They reared their children in a log house on the banks of Bennett Creek. As family members died, they were buried near the homesite. The last burials took place in 1890. Family records identify 18 burials in the pioneer cemetery.
Recieved from Diane Gann
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids