This active Catholic Church located at 500 Church Street, Monterey, CA, part of the Diocese of Monterey, was founded June 3, 1770, and has been in continuous use since 1795. The Chapel has been designated a National Historical Landmark. It is the only early California Presidio Chapel remaining in the entire state, but is not actually located on what is presently the Presidio of Monterey property.
There are two marble markers embedded in the floor of the Chapel near the altar:
Francisco P. Pacheco y Familia 1858
In Grateful Memory of Very Reverand Angelo Casanova Vicar Forane and Pastor San Carlos, Monterey Placed in the Pacheco Crypt March 15, 1893 Rest in Peace
The National Historical Landmark plaque placed on an entry post on March 10, 1973, as part of the Bicentennial Project, has the following memorial information:
"Site of burial on September 13, 1791 of John Graham of Boston, Mass. The first known USA citizen buried in California. He joined Alejandro Malaspina's Global Expedition in Cadiz, Spain in 1789 as a gunner-of-the-sea on the corvette Atrevida. Died aboard ship and was brought ashore in Monterey for burial in the English cemetery of the Royal Presidio Chapel."