| The map shows the area
of Neath around the Castle and the Church as it was in 1877.
The part of James Street from the Gas Works to the Friends Meeting House was known as The Latt.
Hart Lane off James Street was later named Russel Street and the section joining it to Old Market Street was Glamorgan Street.
James Street and the Latt continued into Golden Lane which later became Gold Street. Opposite where Golden Lane joined High Street, Mackworth Lane ran on to Wind Street.