Parish of Neath - St.Thomas`
View from an old Postcard.
graveyard was full by 1850 and headstones were laid flat in about 1875.
Most of the readable stones are from the period 1800 to 1850.
The Tomb of Edward Wagstaff, who died in 1849 of Cholera stands close to the East wall of the church. It can be seen in this picture partly obscuring the side door to the Church.
Cholera claimed a lot of lives in that year.
|This view is taken from Church
There are no clock faces on the North and East faces of the Tower shown in this picture. When the early (1696) clock was replaced about 1805 it was designed with two faces. The feasibility of a third face on the North aspect was broached at a late point inthe design process. It was considered to be too expensive because alterations to the roof of the Tower would have to be made.
It is said that another reason for the lack of a North facing dial was that the inhabitants of that part of the Town refused to donate to the cost of the clock.
The 1811 Estate Map
|In 1811 the Gnoll Estate was sold. A map was prepared showing the estate property. Each property in the Town was numbered and the Occupier and rent payable was recorded in a separate booklet. William Wagstaff is recorded at plot 37 in Green Street with a rent of £5. In 1835 his son,also William is living there when the property is demolished to make way for the new "Neath Market" which was opened in1837.|
|This is an image of Green Street looking
North taken in 1992. The Town Market is on the left.
Now 160 years old it was renovated at the turn of the Century and is scheduled for more work in the near future.
Churches : Neath
Briton Ferry Baglan
Histories : Neath Abbey Ironworks Gnoll Estate Neath Valley & Canal Parson`s Folly
& Images Valley Villages & Burial Grounds Pontrhydyfen Merthyr Cynog Trevethin Pant cemetery
Family : Wagstaffe Tree Prosser & Owens in Neath Abbey
Links : Neath/PortTalbot Tourism