DOCTORS AND COLLEGE GRADUATES.
The first man to come into town with doctor in front of his name was Ebenezer Eames. He was a grantee and having built the first mill in town received the offer of the proprietors of three hundred acres of land called the Mill Right. Whether he ever practiced as a physician or not is not known, but it is to be presumed that if he knew anything of medicine the settlers made use of his knowledge as occasion required. He was a miller and a blacksmith, the latter title is given him in an old deed. He was the miller up to 1787, when he sold the First Hundred of the Mill Right with all the buildings and privileges to Henry Finch, taking back a life lease. Finch was his son-in-law. The mill continued to be run by them until January 3, 1795, when they sold out to Dudley Gilman and left town.
Dr. John Harris came from Colchester, Conn., about the same time. He resided many years in a small house on the corner opposite the Congregational Meeting House, near a clump of lilac bushes, which were placed there by himself. But the health of the people was against his success. It is not known into what part of the surrounding country he drifted.
Dr. Caleb Pierce came from Enfield, bought out William Douglass, built the old hotel on the Street, but he was not successful as a landlord, was a very talkative and vain man, like his son Nat, was not popular and the young people held their dances at Dudley Gilmans Tavern. He died, in 1813, of spotted fever in the Pinnacle House which he had bought of Robert Barber.
Dr. Amasa Howard came here in 1807 and in 1810 built the house 0. H. Perry remodeled and now lives in. He left town in 1815, moved to Springfield and sold his house to Jacob Dow. He is reported to have been a very skillful physician. He was also a surveyor, but his obdurate habits of drinking were a bar to his success. It is reported further that he kept on drinking and moving and died in delirium.