HISTORY OF CANAAN254
the Village, so deep and unfathomable were the mud obstructions.
In 1810, thirteen school districts existed, and the same number of collectors were appointed.
In 1812, the Center Deestrick is divided at Moses Doles, he having his choice to which district he will belong with his property.
In 1813, Pettingill, John H. Harris and John Currier are the school committee. In 1814 there are fourteen collectors of school money appointed. In 1816 there are fifteen school collectors representing so many districts. In 1826 a committee was appointed that divided the town into fifteen school districts. This was not satisfactory, so in 1828 the number was increased to seventeen. In 1854 there were twenty districts. In 1861 they had increased to twenty-one. This number continued until 1886. After the passage of the new school law the town in 1885 voted to redistrict the town. The superintending school committee was abolished as well as the prudential committee for each district and a school board was elected by vote of the school meeting.
The town, in 1886, was redistricted into eleven divisions; in 1887 there were ten. This continued down to the establishment of the High School district, which made two districts out of the town. The town school district has been divided into ten divisions, but most of the time there have been nine schools. There are twelve schoolhouses in the town district. The High School district comprises the southeast corner of the town.