Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

HISTORY OF CANAAN
230

1821, studied at Meriden and Gilmanton; was first settled in Loudon for several years; then called to Reading. Mass., where he labored until his death in 1869; an amiable, sincere man, who made many friends and retained them through his life.

    So stands today this old house, one of the landmarks of the town. From whatever elevation or depression the street is viewed it is the most prominent but one. But not like the old meeting house, whose portals, although once dedicated to the service of God, now resound with that “devil music,” which good old Deacon Worth so much abhorred. The old -North Church is still ready to receive the children and grandchildren of those who struggled to upbuild it for the same service of God. More memories for this generation cluster round its doors than any other spot. With no feelings of curiosity, but of veneration, do we look upon it. We can well say with Daniel Webster, “There are those who love it”; love those memories, which grow stronger and stronger as we look across the way at the silent sentinels which mark the resting place of our fathers and mothers, who loved the old church before us and taught us to do the same.