HISTORY OF CANAAN.102
Scofield purchased the five hundred acres of Martha Wentworth, the widow of Benning Wentworth, for two hundred dollars, on February 22, 1797. The proprietors surveyed two hundred acres of this right and laid it to Eleazer Scofield. The remaining three hundred was laid out in a parcel of four hundred acres to Mescheck Blake and was surveyed north of and adjoining the first parcel in 1799. The one hundred acres remaining of the four hundred parcel was laid out to the right of Rufus Randall, and lay north of the governor's land, extending along Hanover line. It was owned by John Scofield, the settler, and in the settlement of his estate it was set off to his son, John. This land was all at one time the property of the Scofields. Afterwards it was occupied by William and Israel Harris, Joseph Follensbee, Mescheck Blake, John May and Joseph Stevens.
Of the sixty-two names entered as grantees, the name of Thomas Gustin occurs twice. Whether this is a mistake, or it was intended to give him two shares, is not known. But the proprie tors evidently inferred that he was to have two shares, Ior they laid out land on his first right and also on his second. The Gustins were friends of the governor, so were Richard Wibard, a councilor and judge of probate; Thomas Westbrook Waldron of Dover, who was a representative at Exeter in 1768 and a councilor in 1773; James Nevins, who was collector of customs at Portsmouth; John Newmarch, Daniel Fowle, the printer, at Portsmouth; Thomas Parker, George and William King, merchants. George King was deputy secretary of state in 1772, and clerk of the supreme court of judicature in 1773 and in the Louisburg expedition of 1745 was an artificer; Daniel Rogers, who was a councilor in 1772 and a doctor by profession; Capt. William Wentworth and his son, Capt. John Wentworth, of Somersworth, a cousin of the governor. They were all from the vicinity of Portsmouth.
The charter granted 23,000 acres, which was to contain six miles square and no more. Out of which an allowance is to be made for highways, unimprovable lands by Rocks, Ponds, Mountains and Rivers 1049 acres. It was bounded as follows: Beginning at the S. E. corner of Hanover, thence North 55° East by Hanover six miles to the corner thereof. Then South 61°
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids