TOWN MEETINGS, 18191909.
more room being needed the upper floor of the academy building was fitted up. In 1907, Abram L. Williams bequeathed to the library $500, to be expended in the purchase of useful books, provided the town would raise a like amount for that purpose. The town raised $125 at first, and the next year raised the balance. There are now in the library about 3,000 volumes, besides many unbound books and pamphlets. In 1894, the town received the Jesse Martin fund of $500, the income of which was to be expended upon the care of the Martin and Blodgett lots in the Street Cemetery.
The police court was established by vote of the town in 1895, and Warren B. Richardson was appointed by the governor and council, police justice. He resigned in April, 1907, and James B. Wallace was appointed.
The Hiram M. Cobb bequest was received by the town in 1898 of $300, the income to be expended on the care of the Cobb lot in the Street Cemetery. The William D. Currier mausoleum, was accepted as a part of the Street Cemetery in 1900. The population of the town had slightly increased this year to 1,444, from ten years ago. The Pattee fund of ten shares of Northern Railroad stock was received by the town in 1901, one half the income to be expended on West Canaan Cemetery and the other half to be used by the town. In 1902, the Lura G. Milton fund of $500 was received, and the income was to be expended upon the care of the Milton lot in the Street Cemetery. In 1905, the Wells fund of $200 was received and the income was to be expended upon the care of the Peter S. Wells lot in West Canaan Cemetery. In 1907, the town received two bank books, one of $100, the other of $300, bequests of Abram L. Williams, the income of the first to be expended in cutting the bushes along the roadside about the West Farms Cemetery, the income of the $300 to be expended in the care of the Williams, Longfellow and Knowlton lots in the same cemetery. In 1908, the town accepted $200 from C. H. Hackett, the income to be expended in the care of his lot in the Street Cemetery.