|Town Of Lee, Oneida County, New York||Schools|
|Site Index||Delta||Lee||Lee Center||Point Rock||Stokes||West Branch|
|Census||Cemeteries||Military||Obituaries||Odds and Ends||Schools||Vital Statistics|
The Lorena Road Schoolhouse was located at the intersection of Lorena Road and Sleepy Hollow Road (earlier known as Bork Road) on the boundary line between the towns of Lee and Rome. The 1874 Beers Atlas shows the school house on both the Lee Town Map and the Rome Town Map and it appears that the property was partly in Rome and partly in Lee. According to a Statistical Statement filed by Marshall Bork, Trustee of School District No. 17 on August 25, 1885, the school -house was a frame building that was valued at $450.00. The district owned the land and the building and the land covered 25 square rods.
We have been given access to some of the School Registers for this school which list students, with whom they lived (parent or guardian) and attendance records. Each School Register also has a page for visitors of the school to sign-in. All of this information has been transcribed and is available thru the links below. The names are transcribed as they appear in each register.
According to the State of New York Deparment of Public Instruction, "the time for which schools must be taught, during a school year, consists of twenty-eight weeks of five school days each. There must not be less than twenty-eight weeks of school to entitle a district to public money." The pupils were "over 5 and under 21 years of age".
The students received one day off for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. No long holiday vacations back then. They had the 4th of July off and school extended well into July and sometimes into August.