Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Town Of Lee, Oneida County, New York Village of Point Rock

Site Index Delta Lee Lee Center Point Rock Stokes West Branch
Census Cemeteries Military Obituaries Odds and Ends Schools Vital Statistics


Village of Point Rock


The village of Point Rock is located in the northwest corner of the town of Lee. Point Rock takes its name from the steep rocky points between where Fish Creek and Point Rock Creek merge. Fish Creek is the northwestern boundary of the town.

The early settlers to this area found abundant salmon and trout in the creeks. Fish Creek provided ample fish for local consumption and enough surplus to transport them to Fort Stanwix, Whitestown and Fort Schuyler where they were sold. Along Fish Creek are extensive quarries of good building stone.

The main enterprise of this area was logging with dairy farming commencing as the land was cleared. There were several logging camps in the area. By the 1870s there was a post office, store, a tavern and a small number of homes.

In 1882 a Reformed Dutch Church Society began holding Sunday services at the district schoolhouse with Rev. John M. Reiner of West Leyden presiding. In the spring of 1883 Thomas Welch donated land to the Reformed Dutch Society and building of the church began. The building was dedicated September 28, 1883. It was a plain but beautiful and commodious structure 32 feet wide by 45 feet in length, with an extension in the rear. It also had a large vestibule, with a tower and a bell. The seating capacity was two hundred people. As the membership dwindled the building was sold to the Methodists in April 1901, who still worship there today, served by the Lee Center Pastor. This church sits on the hill overlooking the village. The Point Rock Methodist Church celebrated their centennial on September 25, 1983.

The Point Rock Stage was operated by Harold Paine from 1913 to 1936. His horse-drawn stage made two daily trips from Point Rock to Lee Center to Stokes and on to Rome carrying passengers, freight and mail. The morning run took about three hours but the return trip took over four hours as he delivered mail to each home on the route. In 1926 he started using a motorized bus however it was often necessary to resort to horses for part of his route when heavy snows made it impossible to drive through the roads. Many of his passengers were students attending Rome Free Academy who would take the stage to Rome on Monday, board there during the week to attend school and return home on Friday. In 1931 Harold began to specialize in transporting school students and by 1936 he stopped operating the mail route. In 1946 his son Cletus L. Paine took over the company. Paine Bus Service is still transporting students to school.


Village of Point Rock Maps showing residents:| 1874 | 1907 |
List of Residents of Point Rock: | 1858 |
Point Rock Photo Page


Fire at Point Rock Hotel
A Quiet Little Village


| Site Index |



This page created February 1, 2000
last updated March 8, 2012
Kathleen L. Last and Virginia Ackerman
© 2000 - , all rights reserved