|Town Of Lee, Oneida County, New York||Obituaries|
|Site Index||Delta||Lee||Lee Center||Point Rock||Stokes||West Branch|
|Census||Cemeteries||Military||Obituaries||Odds and Ends||Schools||Vital Statistics|
October 21, 1892
James L. Keith of 417 W. Liberty St. died at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon aged 61 yrs. Mr. Keith had suffered for nearly four years with consumption to which disease his death was due. He was born in Newport, Herkimer county, New York and at 15 yrs of age removed to Foreston, Illinois where he lived for 5 yrs going from there to Freeport, Illinois. He became engaged in the fruit business in that city, making it his home for 40 years. Failing health necessitated his retirement and last spring he moved to Rome hoping that the change of climate would prove beneficial. This hope was disappointed however as he continued to fail in health and his death was not unexpected. Besides a widow, Etta Barnard Keith, an adopted son, Arthur, sruvives him, also his brothers, Bowen Keith of Fairport, George of Illion, and his sister, Nancy Childs of Waukeegan, Illinois. The deceased was a son of the late James Keith and a brother of the late Charles F. Keith of Rome.
February 18, 1902
Point Rock - Emmett A. Kelley, who lived about two miles from Point Rock, died Thursday, Feb. 6, and was buried at Point Rock on Saturday of the same week. he had been sick a year but was suppoed to be better until three days before his death when he was taken suddenly worse. mr. Kelly was born in Empeyville 54 years ago, but had lived over 20 years in Point Rock or that vicinity. H eleaves a wife and two sons, Arthur and Lyon.
The burial was attended by sad circumstances and incidents. Though living only seven miles away the family were unable, owing to the storm raging at the time, to get word to their near relatives of the death. After a struggle of hours through the snow drifts the nearest undertake succeeded in reaching there and they proceeded to the church, only to find that the pastor who lives at Lee Center, failed to get through the snow blockade. A prominent church member gave a short address, followed by prayer and music.
Near the close of the simple service a pathetic incident took place. Two cousins of the dead man arrived at the church in a state of exhaustion, having traveled eleven miles through the snow, seven of them upon snow shoes. They were just in time to take a last look at their departed relative.
September 30, 1936
Mrs. Adelaide Kelley, widow of Emmett Kelley, died suddenly at 4:30 am today on the eve of her 72nd birthday. Her death occurred at the home of a son, Arthur L. Kelley. Mrs. Kelley had been in poor health several months.
She was the daughter of the late Samuel and Veleria Williams Cullings and was born in Annsville on October 1, 1864. In 1881 at East Florence, she was married to Mr. Kelley. Practically all her life was spent in the town of Annsville, with the exception of two years at New Rochelle.
She joined the Methodist Church in early life and was a member of the Point Rock church. Mrs. Kelley possessed a splendid Christian character and was always willing and ready to help those in trouble.
Surviving are two sons, Arthur L., at whose home she died, and Lynn E. Kelley, Mamaroneck. There are also two grandchildren, Bruce and Neil Kelley, both of Rochester. Mrs. Kelley is the last of four children.
Kelley, Lynn E.
May 9, 1968
Dr. Lynn E. Kelley, 66, of 900 Turin St., a Rome optometrist, died in Rome Hospital Wednesday evening. He had been admitted a few hours previously after suffering a heart attack.
Dr. Kelley, boys work chairman for the Rome Optimist Club for many years, helped organize the Junior Optimist Club three years ago and had served as an adviser to the group since that time. He was also a member of the parent club's board of directors.
In 1965 Dr. Kelley was cited by the Optimist Club for his activities as boys work chairman, six years as chairman of the Rome Free Academy stadium fund raising project, and perfect attendance for eight years of working on the stadium concession stand operated by the club during football season.
He also served as a personal employment agency for many youths seeking summer jobs for over 10 years and his many personal projects included providing summer recreation for underprivileged children and gifts to those children at Christmas.
A native of Point Rock, he was born June 24, 1901, son of Emmett and Adelaide Cullings Kelley. He was educated in Rome schools, graduating from Rome Free Academy in 1919. He attended Syracuse University and was graduated from the Rochester School of Optometry.
He was a member and past master of the Baron Steuben Lodge, F & AM, Lee Center, and member of the Mohawk Valley Optometric Society and the American Optometric Foundation.
On April 6, 1951, in St. Augustine, Florida, he married the former Theona Lyman. Mrs. Kelley survives with two step-daughters, Mrs. Donald (Winifred) Fraser and Mrs. Donald (Jean) Froschauer, both of Rome, seven step-grandchildren, and two nephews, Bruce Kelley, Holcomb, and Dr. Neil Kelley, Millford, NH.
Kenyon, Eliza Ann
October 12, 1875
Lee Center Items - Miss Eliza Ann Kenyon, sister of Lorenzo D. Kenyon, and Mrs. James Hall, departed this life on Sunday morning at the age of 58 years. The funeral services will be held on Tuesday at the residence of her brother.
Roman Citizen January 9, 1899
Lee Center Notes:
Hugh Kenyon, an aged resident of this town, died at his home in Brookfield Sunday morning of dropsey. Besides his wife two children survive, Mrs. R. W. Stedman and B. L. Kenyon, all of this town.
Kenyon, L. D.
Rome Sentinel May 1, 1894
Lee Center - News has recently been received of the death of L. D. Kenyon who was drowned while engaged in blasting Box Elder Canyon at AlbanyFalls, Idaho. Mr. Kenyon was a nephew of L. D. Kenyon of this place and son of D. W. Kenyon.
Kenyon, Matilda Logan
August 11, 1908
Lee Center - Mrs. Matilda Kenyon, wife of Lorenzo D. Kenyon, died from paralysis of the bowels at her home in this village at 8:30 am today after an illness of ten days. Mrs. Kenyon, whose maiden name was Logan, was born in this town 69 years ago and had always resided here. On Sept. 15, 1858, she was married to Mr. Kenyon and they were looking forward with pleasure to their golden wedding anniversary on the 15th of the coming month. Two children were born of their union, David W. Kenyon, who died last September, and Eugene Kenyon, now residing in Watertown. The husband and son are the only near relatives surviving. Mrs. Kenyon was a very active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church of this village of which she had been a member for over 35 years. She was a well-known canvasser for books, especially those of a religious nature, and in her wide acquaintanceship was held in the highest esteem by all who knew her. She will be greatly missed in this community and the sympathy of all is extended to the bereaved husband and son. The funeral services will be held in the Methodist Church on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. George Dermott officiating. Interment will be made in Evergreen.
May 7, 1901
Michael Kenyon, a prominent farmer of West Lee, died at his home there at 1 pm Saturday, aged 73 years. Mr. Kenyon was born in that vicinity and had always lived there. He had been ailing for some time, but death came unexpected. Mr. Kenyon was a faithful member of the Lee Valley M. E. Church, in which he took a deep interest. In politics he was a life long Republican but had never sought any office. He was a man of sterling worth and commanded the respect of all who knew him. He was twice married, his first wife being a daughter of Zena Preston, and his second wife, who survives, a daughter of William Johnsn. There also survives two children, William Kenyon who lives at home, one daughter, Mrs. Seymour Ward of this city and a sister in Syracuse.
Utica Weekly Herald
April 28, 1896
Lee - Orrin Kenyon, a well known resident of Lee Center, died at his home in that village Wednesday after a long illness, aged about 72 years. He had resided in the town nearly all his life. At one time he conducted a farm three miles west of that village. About 20 years ago he removed to Lee Center, where he engaged in boot and shoe making. He was twice married. His second wife was a daughter of the late Henry Park of Lee Center. He formerly held the office of overseer of the poor. Besides his wife he leaves two daughters by his first wife, Mrs. Harvey Mitchell of West Lee and Mrs. Abner Felshaw, whose husband was formerly connected with the Northern New York M. E. Conference.
Kimball, Mary James Prosser
January 24, 1913
Taberg - Mrs. Mary Prosser Kimball died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Jerome Beckwith, one and one-half miles north of Taberg at 3 o'clock this morning. She had been in feeble health for some time and had been kindly cared for by her daughter, Mrs. Beckwith.
Mrs. Kimball's maiden name was Mary Ann James and she was born in England in 1823. In that country when she was 18 years old she married Walter Prosser and they came to the United States, locating in this town, where she had since resided. Mr. Prosser died 54 years ago. For her second husband she married Hosea Kimball and he died some years ago. Mrs. KImball had the esteem and respect of all who knew her. She was an attendant at the M. E. Church at Taberg as long as health permitted, and a firm believer in the Christian religion. She leaves the following children: Fred, George, John and Frank Prosser of Taberg, Alexander Prosser of Stockwell, Mrs. Jerome Beckwith and Mrs. Charles Garry of Taberg. The funeral will be held on Sunday. Interment will be made in Maple Hill Cemetery.
King, Mrs. Charles
Rome, May 23 - Mrs. Charles F. King, of Lowville, died Thursday in a hospital at Ogdensburg, where she had been for 10 days suffering from a complication. Her son, Dr. Leroy King, of Lowville, died about a year ago and Mrs. King never fully recovered from the shock. She was born in the town of Lee, Oneida county. The family moved to Rome about 30 years ago and about eight years ago they went to Lowville to make their home with the son. She was a very bright and companionable woman and possessed those traits.
contributed by Karen Marsh
King, Estella S.
August 23, 1901
Miss Estella S. King died this morning at the home of her brother, Dr. LeRoy F. King, in Lowville. She had not been well for the past 2 years and about 2 weeks ago had an operation performed in a New York City hospital, after recovering from which she was taken by her brother to his Lowville home so that he might be able to treat her during her convalescence. This was on Wednesday last and the news of her death comes suddenly to her many friends in this city and vicinity.
Estella Susan King was the only daughter of Captain and Mrs. Charles F. King of 732 N. Madison Street. She was born in Lee about 30 years ago and came to Rome when about 16 yrs of age. Her education was obtained in public schools of this city, her graduation from old Rome Academy being in the class of 1889. She then went to the Albany St. Normal College where she was graduated in the class of 1892. Since that time she had taught in several different schools, including Thomas Street, Jay Street, and Liberty Street Schools in this city.
She was a member of the Universalist Church. Surviving are her father, mother and brother. The remains will arrive here on the 5:16 train tonight. Interment will be in Evergreen Cemetery,
Kingsbury, Ann Eliza
March 5, 1908
Mrs. Ann Eliza Kingsbury died today at 610 N. Jay St., aged 85 years, 11 months and 18 days. Death was due to grip and old age. Mrs. Kingsbury was born in Fairfield, Herkimer County, and moved from there to West Leyden, Lewis County and later to the Town of Lee, in this county. She has resided in Rome upwards of 10 years. Mr. Kingsbury died in West Leyden forty years ago. Two sons and four daughters survive: Newton H. Kingsbury, at whose residence Mrs. Kingsbury died; Albert Kingsbury of Syracuse; Mrs. Julian Ufford and Mrs. Edgar Agan of Kansas; Mrs. Orange Clover of Taberg and Mrs. George Johnston of Rochester.
Wife of Alfred H. Kingsbury, dau of Daniel Newson
Submitted by Kevin Vap
February 15, 1884
John Kingsbury, of Lee Corners, New York, died suddenly February 12, 1884 at his residence on Sheldon Hill, and will be buried tomorrow, February 14. he leaves a wife and several children in destitute circumstances. He was an invalid, but his death surprised his friends.
February 17, 1906
Lee Center - John Knutti, aged 73 years, died here at 11:30 pm on Friday. Death was caused by general debility. He was born in Switzerland, came to this country about twenty-three years ago, and for a number of years had made his home with Jacob Zimmer. No known relative survive. The funeral will be held at the home of John A. Streun Sunday with interment in Hall Cemetery.
Albert Krebs, well known business man and prominent resident of this city, passed away at his home, 215 W. Thomas Street, early this morning. Mr. Krebs's death comes as a distinct shock to a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, he having been stricken with pneumonia only a few days ago.
The deceased was born in the town of Annsville on October 12, 1858, a son of the late Samuel and Rosanna Yutzler Krebs, who came to this country from Switzerland and located in that section of the county. When 11 years old his parents removed to Lee, where his father was largely engaged in the manufacture of cheese, and where he was educated in the district school. Later Mr. Krebs entered the Utica Business College from which he was graduated with highest honors in 1882.
From boyhood he always took an active interest in public affairs and for a number of years acceptably served as justice of the peace in the town of Lee. In 1889 he was appointed by the town board as supervisor to fill a vacancy, and so well did he fill the position that he was sent back to the country board for four consecutive terms.
In 1897 Mr. Krebs took up his residence in this city and organized the Rome Bicycle Manufacturing Company. About 1912 he organized the Rome Knitting Co., and became its secretary and treasurer. This business was conducted for several years, when it was sold to the Rome Textile Co. He was appointed by the late Mayor Nock as a member of the Board of Charity and served for about eight years with that body, for the five of which he was its president. In 1911 he was appointed to the Board of Assessors and served as its secretary. For several years he was chairman of the Democratic city committee and for eight years he was a member of the Board of Education, serving as its president.
Up until his last illness, Mr. Krebs was actively engaged in his business located at 127 N. Washington Street.
Mr. Krebs was a member of the Presbyterian Church. His fraternal affiliations were as follows: Baron Steuben Lodge, F. and A. M., of Lee Center; Rome Commandery 45 Knights Templar, Rome Lodge, I.O.O.F., Zeba Grotto, M. O. V. P.E.R., and Ziyara Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Utica.
He married twice. His first wife was Hattie M. Western, Boonville, and his second Jeanette E. Cox, Lee Center, who he married Sep. 15, 1910, and who survives with one daughter, Mrs. Alberta K. Henry, a grandson, Robert, three brothers, Samuel, who was in business with the deceased, and John F. & Edward Krebs of Montrose, Colo.
Krum, Emma Radeck
April 13, 1937
Mrs. Emma Radeck Krum, 82, died at her home, 421 W. Thomas Street, this afternoon after an illness of several months.
She was born in Utica December 16, 1845, daughter of the late Charles and Charlotte Radeck. She became the bride of John Carl Krum on June 9, 1874. Since her marriage Mrs. Krum had resided in Rome. Mr. Krum died January 26, 1915.
Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Louis Joy, Mrs. Andrew E. Wagner, Mrs. Helen K. Strowbridge, and Miss Louise Krum, all of Rome, seven sons, C. Albert and William R. Krum, both of Rome, Sherwood C., Pittsburgh, Pa, Frederick B., Belleville, Dewit C., Utica, Martin T. Bellrose, LI, and Edward D. Krum, Maplewood, NJ, a sister, Mrs. Caroline Light, Auburn and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.