|Town Of Lee, Oneida County, New York||Village of Lee|
|Site Index||Delta||Lee||Lee Center||Point Rock||Stokes||West Branch|
|Census||Cemeteries||Military||Obituaries||Odds and Ends||Schools||Vital Statistics|
Lee Grange 707 was organized November 17, 1890, at 3 pm by state Deputy C. D. Monroe. The organization meeting was held at the home of E. J. Williams and $27 was subscribed by the charter members. Of this $25 was spent to outfit the grange leaving a balance of $2 in the treasurey.
The 6oth anniversary was observed with a party in 1950 and at that time a history was compiled by Mrs. Gertrude Hardy of Taberg.
The first master was C. H. Davis with E. J. Williams host for the first meeting as overseer and H. W. Adsit the lecturer. Other officers included H. Frisbie steward, John Barnard assistant steward, Mrs. B. E. Klock, Chaplain, B. E. Block treasurer, C. F. Baker secretary, Mrs. C. M. Davis secretary, Miss Alice Davis, Pomona, Miss Anna Klock, Flora, Miss Mayme Barnard, lady assistant steward, Mrs. Ella G. Williams made the 13th charter member. None are living.
Lee Grange has 142 members today with an even dozen being initiated in January. There are 52 fifth degree members, 32 sixth degree members, and 10 belonging to the state Grange, taking the 7th degree.
The grange has earned awards at Vernon Fair with exhibits and also secured a 4th place award of Merit at the State Fair for a conservation display.
The Grange Hall which is located just a step off Route 69 at Lee was purchased by the group and paid for in full.
There have been 19 past masters with several members serving for a number of terms. C. M. Davis, the first master, continued in office for five years. H. L. Frisbie, the first steward, was in office as master an even dozen years. H. L. Spink was master for nine years and Ernest Megerell was in the top office for five years.
Others serving as master were H. W. Adsit, George Toomey, Giles Johnson, B. L. Kenyon, Ernest Spink, B. L. Ranney, Leon Spink, Arthur Neiss, William Stage, Stuart Preston, Hugh Megerell Jr., Edward Rapke, Leo Thaler and Harry Dust. Ernest Spink and Stuart Preston served 4 years each and Hugh Megerell Jr was master in 1939-40 and now serves as the present master.
Past masters who are still members include Ernest Spink, Arhur Neiss, Stuart Preston, Hugh Megerell Jr., Edward Rapke, Leo Thaler, Harry Dust and Ernest Megerell.
The present officers are "young in the grange" except for Hugh Megerell Jr. and Ernest Megerell. Hugh Megerell Sr. and his three sons, Joseph, Ernest and Hugh Jr., were awarded 25 year membershop certificates and pins at the same time. This occurred in April 1953
The present officers were installed by Lena Brodock and staff of officers of Seiferts Corners Grange. Mrs. Brodock is a former member of Lee Grange.
The present officers are Hugh Megerell Jr., master, Carl Eldridge overseer, Vivian Megerell, lecturer, Jacob Tyler, steward, Howard Kirk, assistant steward, Clara Hart, chaplain, Clayton Pfeiffer, treasurer, Geraldine Redmond, secretary, Eleanor Megerell, Ceres, Loretta Sobiaski, Pomona, Joan Williams, Flora, Marilyn Megerell, lady assistant steward, Clyde Megerell, color bearer.
The Executive Committe is composed of Harry Dodson, Leo Thaler, and Ernest Megerell. The members of the Service and Hospitality Committee are Ruth Martin, Helen Renwick, and Anna Dodson. Meetings are held the second and fourth Friday of each month.