This interesting medieval church is dedicated to Wendrona or Gwendrona, a Cornish Saint about whom there is little known. Her feast day is the nearest Sunday to October 28th.
14th Century or earlier.
North side of the nave and chancel, together with the north transept, now used as a Lady Chapel. the capitals of the arches to the North Transept are adorned with crudely carved angels, as are two other pillars elsewhere in the church. The only remaining part of the Rood Screen apart for the stairway, are two carved panels of its lower portion near the pulpit. Here is depicted the double headed eagle, emblem of the Holy Roman Empire/ The right to bear this was granted by Richard, King of the Romans, to the Senescyhall family, once of this parish.
Under the brasses mentioned in the 16th century are engravings, thought to be of Flemish origin.
The three stage tower was built at this time.
1560-Commencement of Parish registers.
Chalice Font built of native Elvan stone.
On either side of the alter can be found two brass memorials, one, without a head, to Warin Penhalluryk vicar of Wendron who died in 1535. The other is to an unknown Elizabethan family.
Note.-On the west wall of this transept there is the elegant modern stone memorial to Canon G H Doble, celebrated for his writings on the Cornish Saints, and vicar of this parish 1925-1945.
On entering the chancel notice the delicate early English lancet window set deeply in the north wall and further on the low arched recess, originally either a Founders tomb or Easter sepulchre. In its base is set incised cross slab, regarded by Langdonas the earliest form of Cornish Cross. This once lay at the North Door, now the entrance to the modern vestry.