Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
 
|Slavs|Eurasia|The Antipodean Grossers|


Lusatia

Saxonia & Lusatia

Germany (Saxonia Superior),
Mercator, Atlas Minor, Amsterdam, [1623]. 7.7 x 5.7". (FC)
Small map of central Germany including the regions of Saxony, Lusatia, Silesia, Misnia, and Bohemia.
Fully engraved with mountains, forests and towns, all in full original color.  Strapwork title cartouche and scale of miles.

German LAUSITZ, Sorbian Luzia (from luz, "meadow"), central European territory of the Sorbs (Lusatians, or Wends ),called Sorben (or Wenden) by the Germans. Historic Lusatia was centred on the Neisse and upper Spree rivers, in what is now eastern Germany, between the present-day cities of Cottbus (north) and Dresden (south).

In the 9th century the area settled by the Sorbs, a Slavic people, extended westward to the Saale River and marked the eastern frontier of the Frankish empire. It was conquered by the Germansin 928 and lost by them in 1002 to the Poles, who incorporated it intoPoland in 1018. It was reconquered by the Germans in 1033 and was subsequentlyabsorbed by the German states of Meissen and Brandenburg. Lusatiawas then subjected to a ruthless Germanization, and severe economic restrictionswere placed on the Sorb inhabitants. The Sorbs obtained some relief after1368-70, when the area was made part of the Bohemian crownlands by the Holy Roman emperor Charles IV.

Lusatia became part of Saxony in 1635 under the Peace of Prague at the conclusion of the Thirty Years' War.  In 1815 it was partitioned, with Lower (i.e., southern) Lusatia being transferred to Prussia and Upper (northern) Lusatia remaining under the rule of Saxony.  Lower Lusatia was subjected to an intensive Germanization campaign by Prussia,and its western section was completely Germanized and the number of Sorbianspeakers greatly reduced.  The eastern section experienced a similarprocess after 1871.  The region's Sorb inhabitants were suppressedagain by Adolf Hitler in the late 1930s.  After World War II,the western and central portions of Lusatia were incorporated into EastGermany in 1949, and the Sorbs were guaranteed the right to use their languageand to maintain their distinctive culture. The eastern portion became part of Poland.
 
 

Lusatia Superior

Lusatia, P. Schenk and G. Valk, c.1730.
LUSATIA SUPERIOR. An engraved map centred on the town of Gorlitz. The uncoloured title cartouche bears an attribution to the cartographer Barthomeus Scultetus (1540-1614). Scale cartouche. Uncoloured coat of arms. Imprint of Pieter Schenk and Gerald Valk. 19 x 15 inches, 490 x 380 mm. Original outline and wash colouring.

Return to Top