THE surface of Giles County is much broken and very rough, being made up of winding valleys and high ridges, some of which rise to a height of from 300 to 500 feet above the common level. The county is divided almost equally north and south by Richland Creek, the most important but not the largest stream in the county. This creek has a large, wide valley, which remains some of the richest farm land to be found anywhere in the State. Richland Creek has also many tributaries, each of which has its valley of fertile land. Elk River, the largest stream of the county, flows across the southeastern corner, receiving numerous creeks and branches. Sugar Creek, in the southwest part of the County, supplies splendid water-power for machinery. The water falls through a succession of cascades more than thirty feet within a distance of 100 yards, and it is cheaply utilized. Though called a creek, Richland is really a river, and was declared navigatible by act of Legislature passed In 1809, the said act prohibiting the building of dams or other obstruction that would impede the passage of boats. The act was repealed in 1811, so much as related to that above that above the shoals at Pulaski. Other creeks are Big Creek, Lynn Creek, Robertson Fork, Weakley Creek, Haywood Creek, Buchanan Creek, Silver Creek, Indian Creek, Jenkins Creek, Bradshaw Creek, Shoal Creek, Little Shoal Creek and Leatherwood Creek, all of which are very good streams. The northern boundary of the county lies on Elk Ridge, an arm of the highlands. This ridge runs nearly east and west, dividing the waters of the Elk from those of Duck River, and cutting off the portion of the Central Basin of Middle Tennessee lying in Giles and Lincoln Counties.
The geology If the county is simple and easily understood. The strata are horizontal, and, excepting the summits of the ridges, are mainly limestone. The ridges are capped with the lowest and flinty layers of the Carboniferous Period, below which formation, outcropping on the slopes and underlying the lowlands, are the limestones which belong to the Silurian Age. There is also a thin formation of black slate, called the black shale, in the county, which lies next below the sub-carboniferous strata and above the limestone, and is often mistaken as an indication of stone coal. All the soils in that part of the county which lie in the Central Basin are fertile. The hillsides and slopes of the ridges are very fertile and productive and the amount of alluvial soil in the county, owing to the numerous streams, is great. The lands bordering on Elk River and Richland Creek are the best in the County far cotton. On Big Creek around Campbellsville the lands are very fertile, and continues so on to the south and east, but on the north and west they run into "barrens," on the highlands, where the land is very thin. The products of the county are cotton, corn, wheat, oats, rye, barley, hay, tobacco, Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, hops, grass and grass seeds, sorghum, all the different fruits and wine.
The cereal products of the county in 1885 were as follows: Corn, 1,545,605 bushels; oats, 33,289 bushels; wheat, 190,205 bushels; rye, 5,020 bushels During the same year the live-stock in the nearly was horses and mules, 11,123, head; cattle, 15,126 bead, sheep, 12,651 head; hogs, 46,762 head. In 1870 the county ranked first in the production of corn in the State, producing in that year 2,054,163 bushels of that product. In the same year 8,367 bales of cotton were produced in the county, and in 1885 between 12,000 and 15,000.
A treaty was made with the Chickasaw Indians in July, 1805, by which they ceded their claim to all lands north of Duck River, and east of the Natches road as far as the ridge that divides the waters of Elk from those of Buffalo. This line passed through Giles County entering it near the northwest corner, crossing the Lawrenceburg road at the eight mile post, passed four or live miles West of Pulaski, crossed Elk Rier about three miles above Prospect and the State line at Phillips' mill, leaving considerable portion of the western and southwestern part of the county in the Chickasaw territory.
Probably the that white men to penetrate and explore the forests and canebrakes of Giles County were the commissioners and their guard of citizens, who were sent to lay off a district fifty fly, ties wide in the northern part of Middle Tennessee it satisfaction of land warrants issued by North Carolina to officers and soldiers of the Continental line, and also to lay off a tract of 25,000 acres south of said district, donated by mid State to Gen. Greene. Among those to whom Wants for land lying in Giles county Were issued, were the following: Martin Armstrong, 5,000 acres William P. Anderson, 540 acres; Stockley Donelson 5,000 acres; Robert Fenner, 300 acres: John Haywood, 5,000 acres; Henry Montford, 200 acres: Phillips and Shepperd, 5,000 acres; George Simpson, 152 acres; Henry Shepperd, 2,000; Howell Tatum, 311 acres; Henry Toomer, $40 acres; George Breckenridge, 150 acres; George Shield&, 252 acres; Sam Shields, 416 acres; John Dobbins, 165 acres; James Reynolds, 5 acres; Charles Girard, 232 acres; James P. Taylor, 640 nns; James Williams, 100 acres; John Childers, 300 acres; John Dougherty, 500 acres; John Reynolds, 300 acres; James Montgomery, 200 acres; John Strother, 95 acres; John Temple, 83 to.; Richard Hightower, 100 acres; John Hughes, 50 acres; James Temple, 300 acres, and John Armstrong. 5,000 acres.
The first permanent settlement in the county wee made in about 1805, on Elk River, near the month of Richland Creek, and in the neighborhood, of the present towns of Elkton and Prospect, one of which lies above and the the other below the mouth of said creek, by William Crowson, his four sons and son-in-law, Vincent, Thomas Whitson, Jordan Word, James Ford, James Wilkerson, Parish Sims, Thomas Dodd, John Reynolds, William Jenkins, Thomas Kyle, Thomas Easley Simon Ford, John Hunnicutt and John and William Price. When these pioneers came they found the county a vast cane-brake and forest, the cane being from twenty to twenty-five feet high. The settlers melted Body force, and cleared away the cane and built but bout. for each other, and the same kindness and courtesy Was extended to each new-comer for years thereafter.
Other settlements were made in the county as follows: Thomas Bond, William Riggs, Joseph Moore, Daniel Cox, James Kimborough, Joseph and Elijah Anderson, Thomas Westmoreland, floor. Amon Brown and sons (Thomas and William). John Butler and John Barnett settled in the now Aspin Hill neighborhood from 1807 to 1809; Dr. Gabriel Bumpass, William Buchanan and sons (Maximillian, Robert, John and Jesse) Timothy Emil, Mike Ezell and William Ezell settled in the neighborhood of Crossn Waters in 1807 and 1808; John and Lewis Nelson settled a few miles northeast of Prospect in 1809; Lewis Kirk, Alex Black and Nathan and Robert Block settled on the fte of Pulaski in 1806-07; Ralph Graves settled about 200 yards cut of the present corporate limits of Pulaski, and in the neighborhood of the low. Charles and James Buford, Somersett Moore, John Clark and son (Spenser), William Gideon, Nelson Patteson and sons (James and Bernard), Solomon E. Rose, Tyree Rhodes, William Kirley, Charles Neeley and John White settled between 1807 and 1809; Reese Porter and sons, Reese, John, David, James B. and Thomas C. settled in the Mount Moriah Church neighborhood in about 1807; John Dickey, James Ross, Hamilton Campbell, Joseph Bozler, James Ashmore and Daniel Allen settled in the Campbellsville neighborhood between 1808 and 1809; John Fry, William Dearing, George Malone, Gabriel and John Foulk, Daniel Harrison, John and William Rutledge, Jacob and Andrew Blythe, Joel Rutledge, Nicholas Absalom, Hugh Bowen, Thomas Moody, Andrew Pickens, John McCabe, James Angus, James Wilsford and James Brownlow settled on the Waters of Lynn Creek between 1808 and 1810; John and Samuel Montgomery, Leander M. Shields, Samuel Shields, James Shields Joseph Bradon, Archibald Crockett, Alexander Shields and Robert Crockett settled in the neighborhood of Elk Ridge Church in 1808-10; Robert Gordon and sons (Thomas and John), rise Widow Clark and sons, John and Sam Jones, Robert Alsop, Jacob Jarmin and John Henderson settled in the Brick Church neighborhood between 1808 and 1810; Adam Hightower, Hardy Hightower, John Kennedy, John Eliff, James McKnight, Samuel McKnight, Joel Jarmin, John Young and Nicholas Holly settled in the Bradshaw Creek neighborhood between 1807 and 1810; Rev. Alex McDonald and brothers (Joseph, Robert and John), and their relatives, William McDonald and James McDonald. settled in the Mount Pisgah Church neighborhood in 1808; William Phillips, William Menifee, and sons (John and William, and son-in-law. Benjamin Long), and John Phillips, settled in the Elkton neighborhood in 1808 and 1809. Other early settlers were P. Moore, Peter Lyons, James Burst, James Knox, Walter York, John Jones, William Woods, Allen Abernathy, William McDonald, N. Boss, Abner Cleveland, John Wilson, William McGuire, David Flinn, James Flinn, Nathan Farmer, John Reasonover, William Centhall, John White, Thomas Taylor, John M. Cabe, James Grimes, John Yancy, James Hart, Robert Curren, Warrick H. Doyle, Edmund J. Bailey, Benjamin Tutt, James Morgan, William Eubanks, Joseph Johns, Richard Little, Absalom Bosin, John Cunningham, Owen Shannon, James Shannon, Isham Carter, William Hanby, Benjamin Phillips, Gabriel Higenbotham, Robert Miller, Lawson Hobson, Jonas Kindred. Samuel Parmly, Charles McCallister, James Reed, Andrew Erwin, Drury Storall, John Bridwell, William Ball, Eaton Walker, Guilford Dudley, Jonas Kindred, John Scott, James Hunt, Douglas Blue, Joseph Boyd, Samuel Black, John Bryant, William Riddle. William B. Brook, James Lindsey, Henry Scales, William Pillows, Robert McAshley, Richard Briggs, Jelly Pemberton and Orpha Black.
A number of the early settlers located on the Indian lands, cleared away the cane and undergrowth, built log cabins and began cultivating the soil. Complaints being made to the Government, the United States soldiers stationed at Fort Hampton, on Elk River, about four miles above its mouth, were sent to drive out the settlers. The soldiers burned the settlers' houses, threw down their fences and destroyed their crops, and succeeded in driving the people across the reservation line. After the soldiers returned to the fort, the settlers returned to their ruined homes, rebuilt their houses and fences, and planted their crops, only to be again driven out as soon as word was received at the fort of their presence on the forbidden territory. This destruction of property and crops by the Government soldiers occurred during the years 1809-11, and was a great hardship to the settlers, many of whom held grants for the disputed lands they occupied.
Previous to 1809 the settlers of Giles County were compelled to go to mill in Williamson County, or crush the corn into meal by means of the mortar, as there were no mills at that period in the county. In that year, however, Nathaniel Moody erected a small water-power corn-mill on Robertson Fork, one-half mile south of Old Lynnville. Soon afterward Robert Buchanan built a water-power grist-mill on Buchanan Creek, and at about the same time George Cunningham built one on Richland Creek; Hardy Hightower built one on Bradshaw Creek; John White built one on Robertson Fork, near what was afterward Buford's Station; Jacob Bozler built one on Big Creek and John Williams built one on the south side of Elk River, near where Norvell's mill was afterward erected, all of which were common corn-mills of water-power. Lewis Brown built the first horsepower mill in 1810. After Pulaski had been selected as the county seat, Nathaniel Moody moved his mill to a point near town an Richland Creek. This was in 1811, and during the same year, Clacks or Mayfleld's mill was built on the same stream, about one mile below Mount Moriah Church, and John Laird built a mill on Lynn Creek. James Cox built a water-power mill on Sugar Creek in 1818, which was afterward known as Malone's mill, and during the. same year James Paisley built a horse-power mill in the Shoal Creek and during the same year James Paisley built a horse-power mill in the Shoal Creek neighborhood, and Elijah Ruthony built a water-power mill on Sugar Creek.
The powder used in the early days by the settlers was all manufactured within the county. One of the first powder-mills built in the county was owned by Daniel Allen, and stood near Allen's Spring, since known as Wright's Spring, a few miles northwest of the present site of Campbellsville. John Williams also operated a powder-mill near the State line, one mile southwest from Elk Mount Springs, and James Ross owned one in the western part of the county. The saltpeter used by these manufacturers was obtained from different sources, principally from a cave near Campbell's Station in Maury County.
Many of the early settlers brought with them cotton seed, and though at first on small patches of that useful article were grown from a production for home consumption only. it soon grew into one of the largest crops produced in the county, forming one of the chief exports, and as such continues at the present. Cotton-gins were soon established and to-day the county is dotted over with them. One of the first cotton-gins built in the county was that of Lester Morris, and was erected in 1810 near Rehobeth Church. The power at first was furnished by hand, but later on the gin was enlarged and converted into horse-power. The first water-power gin was built in 1811 or 1812 on Lynn Creek, by John Laird. Soon afterward John Henderson built a water-power gin on a branch about a mile south of Cornersville, now in Marshall County, and Maj. Hurlston built a water-power gin on Dry Creek.
The mills and cotton-gins in the county at present are as follows, by districts; Firs District-Jacob Morrell has a steam saw-mill and cotton-gin; John Brown, has a water power grist-mill on Ragsdale Creek; S. H. Morrell has a water-power grist-mill on same creek; R. L. Donnevan has a water-power grist-mill on Sinking Creek; and J. N. Ruder Edward Copeland, W. F. Smith, James Arnett, Thomas E. Dailey, Thomas Whitfield, A R. Garrison, L. J. Bledsoe and Dr. Patterson each have one-horse-power cotton-gin. See end District-James Rivers has a water-power grist-mill on Richland Creek; M. B. McCal lister has a water-power grist-mill on Elk River; Smith & Bell have a steam saw-mill Deal Prospect, and cotton-gins are too numerous in the district to mention, there being Dot less than twenty-five or thirty, each farm of any consequence owning its own gin. Third District-Thomas E. Smith has a steam saw and grist-mill and cotton-gin combined Joseph Edmunson has a similar mill, and Owen, English & Fowler have a steam saw and grist-mill; and Sterling Brownlow and Isaac Casey have each a horse-power cotton-gin Fourth District-Graves & Dougherty have a steam saw and grist-mill, and James Marbett has a horse-power cotton-gin. Fifth District-James Patrick has a water-power corn and wheat-mill and cotton-gin on Shoats Creek, and J. E. Pryor, S. C. Johnson, Jame Tidwell, A. W. Parker and Felix Petty each have horse-power cotton-gins. Sixth District-The Vale Mills. corn and cotton-gin, water-power, on Richland Creek; Babe Nance has a steam saw-mill, and Elihu Coffman and William Edwards each have steam cotton gins; David Shore, Samuel Williamson, Samuel Hower, James Short, Wiley Roger and William Morris each have horse-power cotton-gins. Seventh District-W. I. Rainey and Mrs. Elder have water-power grist-mills on Richland Creek, and T. B. Wade has 1 horse-power cotton-gin. Eighth District-F. D. Aymett has a water-power grist-mill on Leatherwood Creek, and John M. Aymett, F. D. Aymett, Giles Reynolds, George Suttle and Thomas Harwell have horse-power cotton-gins. Ninth District-Andrew Chamber has a water-power flour, grist and saw-mill combined; Bud Morrell has a water-power corn-mill on Richland Creek; Jacob Morrell has a flour and grist water-mill on Ell River, and C. O. Bull, R. I. Baugh, E. N. Grigsby, John R. Beasley, Gray Hopkins, Wilburn M. Stephenson, James Scruggs, Marion Ellison and James Rivers have cotton-gins all of which are of horse-power, except lose of Baugh and Rivers. Tenth District-J. K. Craig has a horse-power cotton-gin. Eleventh District-Joseph Parsons has a steam flour and grist-mill; William Abernathy has a water-power grist-mill on Buchanan Creek ,and Monroe Smith has a horse-power cotton-gin. Twelfth District-T. S. Williamson ha a steam saw and grist-mill J. M. Young has a water-power flour and grist-mill on Rich land Creek; W. T. Copeland has a steam grist-mill and cotton-gin combined, and T. B. Wade, G. S. White, John Phillips, B. T. Reynolds, Frank Bramlett, William Rivers Robert Rhodes and James Buford have cotton-gins, all with one exception, Wade's, being of horse-power. Thirteenth District-J. T. Steele has a water-power flour, corn and saw mill combined on Big Creek; Joshua Morris has a water-power corn and saw-mill on the same creek, and Mrs. Buford and Mrs. Elise have horse-power cotton-gins. Fourteenth District-L. Alexander has a flour, corn and saw-mill, water and steam-power, on Big Creek; Capt. Watson has a water-power flour and grist-mill on Brownlow Creek; A. Williams has a water-power wheat and corn-mill on Factory Creek, and Isaac Yokely and Mow Hays have horse-power cotton gins. Fifteenth District-Joseph Goldman and Griffis Bros. each have water-power grist-mills on Robertson Fork; Mrs. Fry has a water-power grist-mill on Lynn Creek; Wilkes & Calvert have a steam-power cottongin, and B. F. Walker has a horse-power cotton-gin. Sixteenth District-Horse-power cotton gins are owned by Ephraim Gordon, Hugh Topp, Mack Dougherty, David Simmons, G. H. McMillan and Thomas Spofford. Seventeenth District-J. M. Gordon and R. F. Jackson have horse-power cotton-gins. Eighteenth District-Levi Reed has a water power grist-mill on Egnew Creek; John Rector has a steam saw-mill, and Henry Purger has a horse-power cotton-gin. Nineteenth District-J. M. Parker and Sam Collins have home-power cotton-gins. Twentieth District-J. M. Brownlow has a steam saw-mill, and J. H. McCormick has a horse-power cotton-gin.
Giles County was created in 1810 In pursuance of an act of the General
Assembly passed November 14, 1809, and at the suggestion of Gen. Jackson
was Denied in honor of Gen. William B. Giles, one of the governors of Virginia.
Giles County was formed out of Maury County and is bounded as follows:
North by the counties of Maury and Marshall, east by the counties of Marshall
and Lincoln, south by the State of Alabama, west by Lawrence County, and
has an area of 600 square miles. The act erecting Giles County
is as follows:
AN ACT TO ESTABLISH A COUNTY SOUTH OF MAURY COUNTY, AND NORTH OF THE SOUTHERN BOUNDARY OF THE STATE.
Section 1. Be it enacted by the General assembly of the State of Tennessee, That there be a new county established within the following described bounds, to wit: Beginning at the southeast corner of Maury County; thence due south to the southern boundary of the State; thence west as far as to form a constitutional county; thence north to the line of Maury County, and with said line to the beginning, which county shall be known by the name of Giles County.
Section 2 provides that James Ross, Nathaniel Moody, Tyree Rhodes, Gabriel Bumpass and Thomas Whitson be appointed commissioners to select a place on Richland Creek, near the center of the county, for a county seat, at which site the commissioners shall procure at least 100 acres of land, upon which they shall cause a town to be laid off, with necessary streets at least eighty feet wide, reserving at least two acres for a public square, on which shall be erected a court house and stocks, also reserving a public lot sufficient to contain a jail, in a convenient part of town, which town shall be known by the name of Pulaski. Section 3 provides for the sale of town lots by the commissioners at public auction to the highest bidders. Section 4 provides that the commissioners shall contract with suitable workmen to build a court house, prison and stocks, the same to be paid for out of moneys arising from the sale of town lots. Section 8 provides for the due administration of justice and for the time and place of holding courts. Section 9 provides that nothing in this act shall prevent the collection of taxes due Maury County at the time of its passage, by the sheriff of that county. Section 12 provides that this act shall be in force from and after the 1st of January, 1810.
On November 22, 1809, the General Assembly passed another act, electing tile following magistrates for Giles County: John Dickey, Jacob Baylor, Somersett Moore, Charles Neiley Robert Steele, Nathaniel Moody, William Phillips, Benjamin Long, Thomas Westmoreland, David Porter and Maximillian H. Buchanan; at the same time Thomas H. Stewart was appointed Judge and Amos Balch attorney-general of the Fourth Judicial Circuit, embracing Giles County.
The commissioners, met early in 1810 and selected a place then known as the "Shoals," on Richland Creek, as a site for the county seat, which was named Pulaski, in honor of the gallant Polish count who fell at Savannah in 1779 while fighting for American independence. The land so selected was vacant land, lying south and west of the Indian reservation line, However, assurances of title were given, which authorized the commissioners to make the selection, and on November 11, 1812, a deed for the land was made to the commissioners by President James Madison.
There are 377,600 acres of land in the county, 194,479 acres being improved, and the total value of property assessed for taxation in 1885 was $1,587,977, an average of $8.82 per acre. The tax levy for 1886 was as follows: 30 cents for State, 80 cents for county, 20 cents for school, 11 cents for roads, and $1 each by State and county for school, making a total assessment of $2.91 on each $100 worth of property. In 1834 the first turnpike was built through Giles County, it being the Columbia, Pulaski, Elkton & Alabama Pike. The present pikes are the Pulaski & Elkton Pike, built about 1840, of which there are thirtv miles; the Pulaski & Brick Church Pike, built in 1882, fourteen miles; the Pulaski & Bradshaw Pike, built in 1882, twelve miles, and the Pulaski & Vale Mills Pike, built in 1883, five miles. The Nashville & Decatur Railroad, the only one in the county, passes through from north to south. In 1856 the county subscribed $275,000 in aid of this railroad, payable in five annual installments. The road was completed in 1860, and has proven a great boon and benefit to the entire county. The Memphis & Knoxville Railroad has been surveyed through the county, and should the road be built the county would be quartered by railways, and Giles would have transportation facilities equaled by few counties in the State. The building of the latter road, however, is very indefinite.
The first court hold in the county was a court of pleas and quarter sessions, and was held on the third Monday in February, 1810, at the house of Lewis Kirk, who lived in a log cabin on a bluff on the bank of Richland Creek at the foot of the "shoals, " and about 200 yards above where the Nashville & Decatur Railroad depot now stands. The magistrates who had previously been appointed as such by the General Assembly, were sworn into office, and they at once elected John Dickey, chairman, German Lester. clerk, Jesse Westmoreland, register, and Charles Neeley, sheriff. By order of the court a log cabin was erected in Kirk's yard, in which the courts were held, and in a short while thereafter a rough log house was erected on the same yard for a jail. In this rude prison were kept those convicted of misdemeanors, contempt of court, etc., while the felons were sent to the Williamson County jail, and afterward to the Maury County jail for imprisonment. After the sale of town lots, August, 1811, the cave having been previously cut from a portion of the Public Square, a second court house was erected on the Public Square, and the records and courts moved thereto. This second building was constructed of round logs, which were covered with boards. The house stood for about two years, when it was destroyed by fire, presumably by the citizens, they having become impatient and indignant at the delay of the commissioners in giving them a more commodious and sightly building. A log jail was erected on the southeast corner of the Public Square at about the same time of the log court house, and it, too, was destroyed by fire soon after the court house burned.
The commissioners then contracted with Archibald Alexander, of Pulaski, to erect a new court house, and with Philip P. Many, of Williamson County, to build a new jail. This court house was a two-story brick, and answered well the purpose for which it was built. In about 1850 the building was torn down, and on the same site a handsome brick was erected, which stood until 1856, when it was destroyed by fire. The present court house was completed in 1859, and cost the county about $27,000. It is a large two-story brick, 60x150 feet, with four entrances and halls. Two large court rooms are on the second floor, while on the first are located six large well ventilated and lighted offices, including a chancery court room, an artistic cupola surmounts the building in which is a town clock, which was presented to the county court by Judge Henry M. Spafford, deceased in 1880. During the time between the destruction of the court home in 1856, and the completion of the present building in 1859, the courts were held on the first floor of the Odd Fellows Hall. The jail contracted by Philip P. Maney was of brick, and was erected on the northwest corner of the Square. When within a few hours work of completion it was destroyed by fire, having caught fire by sparks falling from someone's pipe or cigar into the shavings. Another jail was soon erected by the same contractor, which stood until about the close of the late war, when it was destroyed by fire by the retreating Confederates. The present jail is a handsome brick building, situated on First Main Street, about 150 yards from the Public Square, and was completed in 1867 at a cost of $25,000. It is provided with with suitable apartments for a jailer's family, and has ten well constructed cells with necessary corridors.
In 1865, the County Court part based 130 acres of land in the Eleventh District. four miles east of Pulaski. for a county poor farm, and erected log buildings thereon for tile accommodation of paupers. In 1867, frame buildings took the place of the log house, and these were replaced with a good brick building in 1884, which cost about $4,000.
The Giles Circuit Court convened its first session in the log court house at Lewis Kirk's. on the second Monday in June, 1810, present and presiding the Her, Thomas H. Stewart, judge; Amos Batch. attorney-general. James Berry was appointed clerk, and the session was opened by Sheriff Charles Neeley. The court continued to hold its sessions at the above place until the December term, 1811, when the court wits opened at that place, and an adjournment was taken, to meet at once in the new court house in the Public Square. After the destruction of the court house in 1814, the court was told during tile April term at the house of David Martin, in Pulaski. During the year 181.5 the house of Isaac Smith, of Pulaski, was used as a temporary court house. From 1810 to 1822 there are no records of this court, they having been destroyed. The records are also missing between 1831 anti 1836 between 1848 anti 1852, between 1855 and 1858, and there were no courts between 1860 and 1865 but since the last dlate they are complete.
In 1827, for malicious stabbing, James Z. Maclin was sent to jail for twelve months; for an assault and battery, with murderous intent, Sterling Harwell was fined $25 and sent to jail for twenty days. In 1830 Arthur Jarnagar for committing forgery, Was given thirty-nine lashes on the bare back, sent to jail for one week and made to sit in the pillory two hours each morning for three consecutive days; and Dury Smith, for manslaughter was branded on the bra wn of the left thumb with the letter M: and sent to jail for one month. In 1836 James McNune was sent to the penitentiary for two years for an assault and attempt to commit murder.
In 1837 William Inzer, for larceny, was sent to the penitentiary for three years. James Tooey five years for malicious stabbing, and Isaac Dale was convicted of murder and sentenced to be hung. In 1838 John W. Craft was sent to the Penitentiary for three years for perjury. In 1853 William Hall was sent up for two years on a charge and conviction of malicious stabbing; in 1855 Martin, a slave, was convicted of murder and sentenced to be hung.
In 1860 N. C. Wisend, for grand larceny, was sent to prison for seven years; in 1865, Samuel Marks, for the same offense, was given ten years; and in 1866 Benjamin Abernathy, Stephen Brown, Jacob Kennedy and Meredith Dabney, for grand larceny, were given terms of imprisonment of three years, one year and seven years, respectively. To 1867 Henry Ars, for stealing a horse, was imprisoned for a term of ten years; Pleasant Beckwith, for murder, in 1868, was sent to prison for one year; and John Lightfoot and George Springer were tried jointly on a charge of larceny and each sent up for three yours; in 1869, Caesar Allen, for larceny, was given one year; James Kelley, for rape, was sent up for fifteen years; and Pleasant Madison, for horse stealing, ten years. In 1870, Sterling Eddins and Harup Mason, for larceny, were each sent to the penitentiary for one year; in 1871, James Montgomery, horse stealing, fifteen years; Lewis Swinnea murder, twenty years; William Allen, larceny, five years; Green Turner, horse stealing, sentenced to be hung; Philip Maples, for administering poison, three years; and Lewis Taylor, larceny, three years. In 1872 Jesse Donaldson, Amanda Abernathy, Virginia Abernathy, Felix White and Richard Collier, for larceny, were given terms of imprisonment ranging from fifteen months to four years, while for murder, Jordan Petty was seat up for four teen years; Jack McGuire, for stealing a horse, twenty-one years; and George Chapman, for forgery, went up for three years. In 1873, John Adams, Isaac Ballentine, Benjamin McDonald and Sterling Eddins, for larceny, were sent to penitentiary for three, one, four and six years, respectively; Andrew G. Downing and Richard Benson were given fifteen and ten years, respectively, for horse stealing. In 1874, William Jones, George Washington and Calvin Rhoades were sent to penitentiary for five, four and seven years, respectively, and for murder Walker Ingram was sent for twenty years, and John O'Connor ten years for horse stealing
In 1875 Andrew Faran, Claibourn Johnson, James Vance and Fountain Walker were given terms of three, two, three and fifteen years, respectively, for larceny; and for stealing a horse John Caldwell was sent up for twenty years. In 1876, Neil S. Icter, for house-breaking; Andrew Beaty, for forgery; James Powell, house-breaking; and James Bell, C. T. Tramier and Sterling Butler, for larceny, received imprisonment of six months, three years, ten years, two years, fifteen months and four years, respectively. In 1877, James Johnson and Henry Matthews were each sent to the penitentiary for one year for larceny; Mirabeau Clark, ten years for horse stealing; Ralph Garrett, five years for arson; and George Riggan, ten years for house-breaking. In 1878, Arch Brown and Henry Smith were sent to penitentiary for three years each; William Jordan, murder, thirteen years; and George Washington and William Caldwell, eight and six years, respectively, for horse stealing. In 1879 Dick Collier was sent up for eight years on a charge of house-breaking; William Coats, ten years for attempt to poison; and Del Duncan, John Jackson, John Sweeney and Tom Ballentime, for larceny, were given terms of one year each in the penitentiary.
In 1880 W. T. Williams, for larceny, was sentenced to, the penitentiary for 8 years; David Cheairs, for arson, 6 years, and Green Terry and Allan Shaw, 6 months and 5 months in the county jail for larceny. In 1881 Mat Pendegrass and Ben Eddins received 6 months and 3 years, respectively, for horse stealing: Felix Smith, 5 years for burglary, and Bill Smith, William Franklin and Alonzo Rhodes, 3 years, and 11 months, and 29 days, respectively, for larceny.
The Chancery Court of Giles County was held for the first time in April, 1832, with M. A. Cook as chancellor and Charles C. Abernathy, clerk and master. The members of the Pulaski bar have been as follows, the time in which they practiced being in the order given: John Minns, W. H. Field, William C. Flourna, John H. Rivers, Colin S. Tarpley, Aaron V. Brown, James W. Coombs, V. E. J. Shields, Adam Huntsman, Neil S. Brown, Thomas Jones, Robert Rose, Alfred Harris, Lansford M. Bramlett, Archibald Wright, A. F. Gough, James Davenport, Davidson Netherland, Thomas M. Jones, Calvin Jones, John C. Brown, John C. Walker and Nathan Adams. The present bar is composed of Thomas M. Jones, John S. Wilkes, Bolan E. Rose, John A. Tinnon, E. T. Taliaferro, John T. Allen, Noble Smithson, Z. W. Ewing, Charles P. Jones, Andrew J. Abernathy, J. Polk Abernathy, Amos R. Abernathy, Hume Steele, Flourna Rivers and John C. Brown.
The following is a list of the court and county officers in the order in which they served: Judges-Thomas H. Stewart, Alford S. Harris, Robert M. Mack, William E. Kennedy, Lunsford M. Bramlett, Edmund Dillahunty, W. P. Martin, Henry Ward, A. M. Hughes, W. P. Martin, William L. McLemore and Edward D. Patterson. Attorney-generals-Alford Balch, Robert L. Cobb, Gideon J. Pillow, Edmund Dillahunty, James H. Thomas, Nathaniel Baxter, Archilaus M. Hughes, Nathan Adams, Archilaus M. Hughes, Austin C. Hickey, James Smithson, Joseph H. Fussell and John L. Jones. Chancellors-M. A. Cook, Lumsford M. Bramlett, Terre H. Cahal, A. O. P. Nicholson, Samuel D. Frierson, John A. Brien, Samuel D. Frierson, John C. Walker, David Campbell, Horace H. Harrison, William S. Flemming and Andrew J. Abernathy. Clerk and masters-Charles C. Abernathy, Daniel L. Morrison, James McCallum, W. H. McCallum, A. Cox, J. B. Stacy. Chairmen of county court since 1865-Daniel G. Anderson. J. F. Smith, W. H. Abernathy J. L. Jones. County trustees since 1868-Thomas S. Riddle, Sterling H. Brown, Daniel B. Garrett, W. G. Lewis, R. M. Bugg, H. C. McLaurine, H. L. Booth and W. R. Craig. County court clerks since 1810-German Lester, Edward D. Jones, J. L. Jones, A. R. Richardson, E. W. Rose, D. A. Wilburn, H. H. Aymett, P. H. Ezell, Will S. Ezell. Circuit court clerks since 1810-James Berry, Henry Hagan, Sterling Lester, Charles C. Abernathy, C. H. Abernathy, W. Williford, F. T. McLaurine, H. M. Stanley, J. H. Morris, J. W. Braden. Sheriffs since 1810-Charles Neeley, James Buford, Max H. Buchanan, James Perry, Lewis H. Brown, Thomas C. Porter, Thomas S. Webb, John A. Jackson, Asa Ezell, James D. Goodman, Joshua Morris, John Kouns, Berry H. Piden, John W. West, D. H. Parsons, R. H. Mitchell, R. A. Blow, H. Arrowsmith, John D. Butler and J. Polk English. Registers since 1810--Jesse Westmoreland, Fountain Lester, David McCormack, P. T. T. McCanless, Andrew Fay, Daniel G. Anderson, John Dyer, J. J. Phillips and J. F. Fogg.
Quite a number of the Giles County pioneers served in the Revolutionary war, and for their services as soldiers of the line received grants from the State of North Carolina for the lands in this county, upon which they afterward settled. But of them there is no record accessible, and their names have long since passed from the memory of the citizens of the present, if memory of them they ever had. While no companies went from Giles County into the war of 1812 a large number of her citizens joined companies that went out from neighboring counties, among whom were Lester Morris, George Everly, Charles Buford, James Patteson, Sol. E. R. Rose, Wm. Kirley, Maj. Hurlston, Wm. McDonald, Wm. Kyle, Col. Cleveland, John Clark, Nelson Patteson, John Phillips, Thomas Smith, Dr. Gilbert, D. Taylor, Charles C. Abernathy, Win. K. Gordon, and many others whose names could not be secured. Dr. Taylor served on Gen. Jackson's medical staff.
Within a short time after the organization of the county the county militia was estabished as an adjunct to the State militia, and for twenty years or more was in active organization. The first regiment organized was the Thirty-seventh, which embraced the entire county. Of this regiment Robert Steele was the first colonel elected, and Claibourn McVey and John Buford the first majors. After the war of 1812 the regiment was reorganized or divided, and a new regiment, the Fifty-second, was formed of the northern half of the county, leaving Pulaski with the old regiment. Thomas K. Gordon was the first colonel, and Richard H. Allen and James Simmons the first majors, elected for the new regiment. Of the old regiment James Terrill was elected colonel and Thomas Wilkerson and Wm. Rose majors. Col. Terrill removed from the county in 1821, when Maj. Rose was elected colonel, and Gillan Hamell and Abel Wilson majors. The militia was again re-organized in 1825, and an additional regiment, embracing the northwestern portion of the county, including Pulaski, was organized. Of this regiment Richard H. Allen was elected colonel; Simpson H. White, lieutenant-colonel, and John H. Rivers and Edward Tipton, majors. From 1830 the militia began to decline, and upon the adoption of the new constitution in 1834 ceased to exist. Previous to the new constitution's adoption the county was divided into Captains District, and the election or appointment of justices of the peace was regulated by companies or beats, or, as now, by civil districts. During its day the militia was a great institution indeed, and militia offices were much sought after. Giles County's contribution to the Florida war in 1836 consisted of two full companies, which were raised in June, 1836, and on July 4 following, were mustered into the First Tennessee Regiment of Mounted Volunteers, at Fayettville, Lincoln County. The companies were designated in the regiment as First and Sixth Company First was Commanded by Capt. Thomas M. Jones, now Judge Jones, of the Pulaski bar, and Quincy Black and Robert L. Dixon were the lieutenants. Company Sixth was under command of Capt. James Gibson, with Joshua and John Morris, brothers, as lieutenants. Among, the members of the above companies, whose names are obtainable, were Archibald Wright, Neil S. Brown, Sol. E. Rose, Jesse Mays, J. N. Patteson, Joseph E. Anthony, George B. Allen, Robert H. Rose, J. Carroll Smith, Samuel D. Wright, Homer Jones, Charles G. Keenan, Milton Payne, Wm Baugh, Daniel Brinkle, Henry E. Pitts, Henry C. Lester, Jesse D. Page and Warren P. Anderson.
As in the Florida war Giles County furnished two full companies to the war with Mexico in 1846. The first company organized left Pulaski in June, 1846, under command of Capt. Milton A. Haynes and Lieuts. W. P. Chambliss, William Richardson and Brownlow. They volunteered for twelve months, and were mustered into the First Tennessee Regiment of Cavalry, under command of Gen. Jonas E. Thomas, of Maury County. Among the members of this company were William Evans, Ira Martin, E. G. B. Lee, Samuel Farmer, Sterling Farmer, David Hammond, James T. Wheeler, Samuel C. Johnson, Alexander Black, Samuel S. Williamson, David H. Hannah and Nathan Adams. At the expiration of the twelve months' service for which the company enlisted the survivors returned home and when the second call for volunteers was made Lieut. W. P. Chambliss raised a second company, of which he was elected captain, and A. M. Flemming, first lientenant; Thomas Gordon, second lieutenant; J. L. Jones (at present Chairman of the Giles County Court), brevet second lieutenant; Patrick Chambliss, orderly sergeant; William D. Everly, second orderly sergeant; William Fallis, third orderly sergeant, and Milton Rason, fourth orderly sergeant. The company left Giles County for Nashville in October, 1847, where it was mustered into the Third Tennessee Regiment of Foot Volunteers, Gen Cheatham commanding, as Company C. Among the members of Company C were James Adams, Abe Cable, --Davis, W. R. Edwards, Samuel Elliff, Joseph Elliff, J. A. Foster, Hardaway Tucker, Calaway Tucker, George Chesser, Samuel Farmer, - Wilson. - Walker, A. A. Walker, J. N. M. Farmer, Edward Rasen, Michael Fry. Samuel Edmonson, - Spirey and John Carr.
Giles County took a decided stand in favor of secession at the breaking out of the late war, and cast an overwhelming majority vote in favor of separation from the Union and representation in the Confederate Congress. In response to the call of Gov. Harris for State volunteers early in 1861 the " Martin Guards," the first company raised in the county, was organized, placed in command of Capt. Hume R. Field, and dispatched at once to Nashville, where, upon the organization in April, 1861, of the First Tennessee Regiment of Infantry, the company was mustered into service as Company K. The regiment went into camp at Alisonia, Franklin County, which was given the name of Camp Harris, thence to Camp Cheatham, in Robertson County, where the soldiers were given full instructions. On July 10, 1861, it was ordered to Virginia.
Under special orders from Gov. Harris the Third Tennessee Regiment of Infantry was organized at Lynnville, this county, on May 16, 1861. The regiment consisted of ten full companies of picked men, five of which were supplied by Giles County. The roll of field and staff officers of the regiment was as follows: Colonel, John C. Brown; lieutenant-colonel, Thomas M. Gordon; major, Nathaniel F. Cheairs; adjutant, Thomas M. Tucker; quartermasters, Benj. P. Roy and J. L. Herron; commissary, B. L. Wilkes; surgeons, Samuel H. Stout and James A. Bowers; assistant surgeon, Wiley S. Perry; chaplains, Marcus Williams and Thomas J. Davenport; sergeant major, William Polk: quartermasler-sergeants, J. F. Alexander and J. W. Littleton; commissary-sergeant, John S. Wilkes; ordnance sergeants, Wallace W. Rutledge and James J. Walker, hospital steward, Eber Fry. The Giles County companies in this regiment were as follows: Company A. first captain, John C. Brown, succeeded by Calvin J. Clack, numbered 120 men; Company B, first captain, Thomas M. Gordon, succeeded by E. H. F. Gordon, 130 men; Company D, captain, William Peaton, 108 men; Company G, captain, Calvin H. Walker, 110 men; Company K, captain, F. C. Barber, 110 men.
The regiment was mustered into the State service as soon as organized, and from Lynnville went into camp near Springfield, Robertson County, where it remained until July 26,1861, when it moved to Camp Trousdale, Sumner County, from whence they were ordered to Fort Donelson, reaching the fort on February 8, 1862. On September 26, 1862, the regiment was reorganized as follows: Colonel, Calvin H. Walker; lieutenant-colonel; Calvin J. Clack: majors, Thomas M. Tucker and F. C. Barber; adjutant, David S. Martin, Giles County companies: Company B, captain Robert A. Mitchell 105; Company G, formerly Company A, captain David Rhea, 99 men; Company I, formerly Company D, captain, D. G. Alexander, 90 men; Company H, formerly Company G, captain. James J. Walker, 101 men; Company A, formerly Company K, captain F. C. Barber, 100 men. The reorganization took place at Jackson, Miss., after the exchange of prisoners at Vicksburg, and the regiment went at once into active service, their first engagement occurring a few days afterward at Springdale, Miss.
In the summer of 1861 the Thirty-second Tennessee Regiment of Infantry was organized at Camp Trousdale, Sumner County, in which regiment Giles County was represented as follows: Winstead's company, captain, John M. Winstead; Worley's company, captain, Willis Worley; Hannah's company, captain, John W. Hannah; Hunnicutt's company, captain, W. H. Hunnicutt. The regiment upon leaving camp went into East Tennessee, and thence into Kentucky, In October, 1862, the regiment was reorganized, the reorganization affecting the Giles County companies as follows: Winstead's company, captain, Field Arrowsmith; Worley's company, captain, James Young; Hannah's company, captain, John L. Brownlow; Hunnicutt's company, captain, J. M. Bass. The reorganization of this regiment also occurred at Jackson, Miss.
Holman's battalion of partisan rangers was raised under commission from Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of War of the Confederacy; bearing date, June 27, 1862, directed to Maj. D. W. Holman. The battalion consisted of four companies, two of which were furnished by Giles County, they being those of Capt. Andrew R. Gordon, of 160 men, and of Capt. James Rivers, of 100 men.
The above is a list as near as could be obtained of the soldiers furnished to the Confederacy by Giles County. The county was continually overrun with both Federal and Confederate soldiers throughout the war, being on the line of match from Nashville to Huntsville, Ala. Pulaski, Lynnville, Elkton and Prospect were each visited by Federal troops in large numbers, and Pulaski and Lynnville were fortified, a formidable fort or earth-work was erected on Fort Hill, a high steep hill overlooking the town and surrounding country at the former place. The first Federals to visit Pulaski in any number was a detachment of Gen. Negley's brigade which was sent out from Columbia, under Col. Mark Monday, in April, 1862, to drive off Gen. John Morgan, who with his cavalry was harassing and plundering the Federal wagon trains on their way to Gen. Mitchell at Huntsville, Ala. After doing considerable damage, Gen. Morgan withdrew from Giles County in May, upon the approach of Col. Monday, going into Bedford and Wilson Counties. Col. Monday went into camp with his men at Pulaski, and remained until September, 1862, when his command joined Gen. Negley's brigade and went into Kentucky after Gen. Bragg. In August, 1863. Col. Hayes made a raid on Giles County with a regiment of cavalry, who made a camp of one day and night in Pulaski, and returned to Columbia. During the same year Lynnville and Elkton were both raided by the Federals, the whole county, in fact, being relieved of horses, cattle and grain. In October, 1868, Gen. Wheeler retreated south through Giles County, pursued by Gen. Wilder, who made a short stop at Pulaski on his way south, and in the course of a few days returned and again camped for a number of days, going thence to Shelbyville.
In November, 1863, Gen. W. T. Sherman and his entire army passed through Giles County, en route to Chattanooga, making a short stop at Elkton, and Gen. William Dodge, with the Sixteenth Army Corps, went into camp at Pulaski, remaining until April, 1864. A portion of the above corps was stationed at Lynnville, where earth-works were thrown up. Gen. Starkweather, with four regiments of infantry and as many regiments of cavalry, camped in Pulaski and Giles County, during the summer of 1864, engaged in guarding the Tennessee River. Gen. Starkweather was succeeded in command by Gen. R. W. Johnson, who remained at Pulaski until November of the above year. In that month Gen. Stanley was sent to Pulaski with the Fourth Army Corps, and camped for three or four days.
Gen. Schofield, in command of the Army of the Ohio, brought the Twenty-fourth Army Corps to Pulaski in the latter part 1864, and remained until Gen. Hood crossed the Tennessee River at Florence, Ala., and was approaching Columbia, when he evacuated the town and fell back to Franklin, and then to Nashville. Gen. Hood came on into Middle Tennessee. At Lawrenceburg, his advance composed of Gen. Forrest's cavalry, repulsed the Federals, who then fell back to Pulaski, and the following day quite an engagement occurred at Campbellsville, this county, when the Federals were again repulsed. Gen. Forrest's cavalry made sad havoc with the railroad, tearing up the rails and destroying all bridges in the county. At Pulaski he stationed a battery on East Hill and made a feint movement by throwing a few shells into the Federal fort on Fort Hill, to cover his move toward Shelbyville.
After the battle of Nashville, Gen. Hood retreated south through Giles County, followed by Gen. George H. Thomas, with the Twenty-third, Fourth and Sixteenth Army Corps. The retreat through Giles County was almost a continuous battle all along the Columbia & Pulaski Turnpike. At Anthony Hill, this county, Gen. Hood made a stand and repulsed the Federals, only to resume his retreat. Another stand was made at a point on Sugar Creek, where the Federals were repulsed a second time, after which. they fell back to Pulaski, while Gen. Hood's army proceeded leisurely into Alabama. The command of the Twenty-third, Fourth and Sixteenth Army Corps was turned over to Gen. Johnson, who remained with them in camp at Pulaski, until the close of the war in 1865. During the stay of the Federate in Pulaski, at different times, the court house and Giles College building were used as quarters for the soldiers, and the different church buildings were converted into hospitals.
On November 20, 1863, Samuel Davis, a Confederate spy, was captured inside the Federal lines at Pulaski, with complete plans of the Federal fortifications at Pulaski, Franklin, Nashville and, in fact, all over Middle Tennessee, Davis was tried by a courtmartial, on the charge of being a Rebel spy, and was hung on East Hill, in front of Squire James McCollum's residence, at 10 o'clock on Friday morning, November 27, 1863. Davis claimed that his plans had been furnished him by a Federal officer. high in command, whom he stated was standing in the crowd in front of the scaffold awaiting his hanging, but whose name he refused to divulge, even when offered his life and liberty as an inducement to do so. Opinion is divieed as to whether the doomed man was really a brave man, and sought death rather than divulge a friend's name, or whether he was playing for glory, even in his last moments.
The county seat and principal town of Giles County is Pulaski. which stands on the east bank of Richland Crank, and on the Nashville & Decatur Railroad, seventy-five miles south of Nashville and eighteen miles north of the Alabama State line. The town is one of the prettiest in the State and has a population of 2,500. The site for Pulaski was selected by the commissioners early in 1810, and during that year a portion of the cane and under-growth was removed from the Public Square. In August, 1811 the first town lots were sold at auction and a court house and stocks were erected on the Public Square. Lewis Kirk and Alexander, Nathan and Robert Black were the first white citizens of Pulaski; they settling on the town site at least three years before it was selected as such. Kirk built a log cabin on a bluff on Richland Creek, at the foot of the " shoals," while the three Blacks erected their cabins on what is now First Main Street. Other settlers or citizens of the town before the sale of town lots in 1811, were William R. Davis, William Ball, James Berry, German and Fountain Lester, David Martin, Richard Scott, James Drew, James H. Williams, William Hanby, Thomas Smith, John McCrackin, John G. Talbott, Henry Hogan, Dr. Shadrack Nye, Joseph Trotter, Joseph H. Hodge, Dr. Gilbert D. Taylor, David Woods, Lewis, James and William Connor, Sam G. nderson, Nathaniel Moody, Alfred M. Harris and Longford M. Brandett.
The first attempt at tavern keeping wag made by Lewis Kirk, who entertained the justices and officers of the court at his house during the sessions of court in 1810 and 1811. Richard Scott was the first merchant in Pulaski. He opened a small store near Kirk's house, on Richland Creek, in about 1809. In 1810 Scott sold his store to John G. Talbott and William Ball opened a grocery store in the same vicinity. At that time the above were the only houses in Pulaski. The first merchants to do business after the town was laid out were Richard Scott, David Martin, John G. Talbott, James Doren, John McCrackin and Henry Hogan. The taverns of that day were kept by Capt.Thomas Smith, on the northeast corner of the Public Square and by James Alexander, on the southeast corner of the the Public Square; the latter being afterward kept by - Kennon and was known by that name. The physicians of Pulaski who practiced between 1809 and 1815, and probably later, were Dr. Gilbert D. Taylor, Dr. Shadrack Nye, Dr. David Woods, Dr. Alfred Flournoy, Dr. Elisha Eldridge and Dr. Charles Perkins. The first tan-yards established in the town were those of James Hanby and Lewis and James Connor. The first comfortable residence erected in Pulaski was built by German Lester.
The Legislature declared Richland Creek navigable as far as Pulaski in 1809, and for thirty years thereafter the produce of the county was shipped from Pulaski in large flat bottomed boats, which were made in the town, and frequently small keel boats and pirogues were made, which were loaded and taken to New Orleans, where merchandise was purchased and brought back in the boats. From three to four months were required to make the trip. Goods for the first merchants were hauled in wagons from Baltimore, Md., whither the merchants themselves would journey once each year with cattle, cotton, etc., which they would exchange for dry goods, groceries and other commodities.
In November, 1815, the Legislature appointed Tyree Rhodes, Ralph Graves and John Hicks commissioners to build a bridge across Richland Creek, at Pulaski, the bridge to be paid for out of moneys derived from the sale of town lots. The bridge was built near the depot, and was the first one in the county. A substantial covered frame bridge was subsequently erected in its place, which is in use at the present.
The manufacturers of Pulaski, between 1818 and 1825, were as follows: John E. Holden, cabinet-maker; James Lynch, turning-lathe; William Holden, woolen factory, afterward converted into a steam saw-mill; Robert Hamby, tannery; George Everly, hattery; Thomas Wilkerson, gunsmith; Adam R. Farres, silversmith: Henry Cowper, saddlery; Henry Piden, blacksmith; Samuel Anderson, cabinet-maker. During the same period Capt. James Patteson kept a hotel, and William Willis a livery stable. A census of the heads of families in Pulaski, taken in 1820, returned the following: Samuel Pearson, Jeremiah Parker, Alfred M. Harris, Shadrack Nye, Nathaniel Moody, James Patteson, James Perney, Samuel J. Anderson, Thomas Wilkerson, James Connor, John E. Holden, William English, William Connor, Francis Guthrie. Nathaniel Allman, William Royle, Bernard M. Patteson, Lansford M. Bramlett, German Lester, W. R. Davis, Robert Gibson, Tyran M. Yancy, Amos Davis, John Brown, Jesse Day, Francis Hicks, William Hamby Mathias Sharon, John B. Connor, Hold. Crockett, Marterson, B. McCormack, A. V. Brown, Elizabeth Berry, Judith Birch, Elizabeth Hooks, Mary Scott, William Ball, Thomas White, Joseph H. Hodge, John McCrackin, William Rose, Francis Alexander, Joseph Trotter, Henry Hogan, Fountain Lester and Archibald Story.
The merchants of Pulaski in business between 1820 and 1830, were Thomas Mat tin, James Perry, Nathaniel G. Nye, Andrew M. Balentine, Andrew Fay, Samuel Kercheval and Toggert & Christy. Between 1830 and 1840 the merchants were Edward Rose, Keenan, Walker & Guy, James McConnell, H. E. Lester, Lester & Hoag, P. H.. Brady, Andrew Fay, Joseph C. Ray & Co., Brown & Ezell, Block Bros., Bell & Mason, Litherman & McNairy, Simonton & Oliver, Jones & Armstrong, J. W. Carpenter, Riddle, Smith & Robinson and Butler & Story. Between 1840 and 1850: Balentine & Gough, J. H. Taylor, M. Nassau, H. C. Lester & Bro., Martin & Tapp, Booker & Shepperd, W. H. Lime, Samuel Kercheval, Bell & Mason, Yerger & Shawl, Balentine Ezell & Co., Mason & Ezell, Martin & Ray, Benjamin Carter, J. C. Carter, B. F. Carter & Sons, A. M. Carter & Co., and May and Neil. Between 1850 and 1860: Ezell & Bro., May & Neil, Martin, Ray & Co., A. M. Carter & Co., May & Bros., Mason & Ezell, P. H. Ezell, Balentine & Son, Batts & Patteson, Martin & Amos, Armstrong & Nassau, Fuller & Abernathy, J. P. Skillerm, Davidson & Allen, Brannon & Carson, Martin & Stacey, John Kounts and Ray, Harris & Co. There were no merchants in business during the war, all stores, save an occasional sutler's stand, being closed. Between 1865 and 1870 the merchants were R. A. Gordon, Sheppard & Son., Ezell & Edmonson, Balentine & Ezell, Taylor & Son, May Bros., Cox & Reynolds, John B. Ezell, Flautt, Martin & Co., Rosenau & Bros., and A. Lazeress. The merchants of 1870 and 1880 were Arrowsmith & Brannon, H. Abrams, Dickenson & Co., J. R. C. Brown & Co., J. H. Cannon & Co., P. H. Ezell & Son, Flautt, Martin & Co., Heins & Hannaburgh, R. B. Gibson, Erwin & Lindsey, George W. McGrew, J. P. & A. E. May, James T. McKissack & Co., I. Nassau, Pullen & Childress, Pope & Teller, L. Rosenau & Bros., J. P. Rankin, Rosenau & Loreman, Sumpter & Lacy, S. P. Sternau, Robert Shepperd & Co., and H. O'Lenskey.
Business of Pulaski at present: W. H. Abernathy, clothier; Brannon & Smith, Abernathy & Lightfoot, L. Rosenau & Bros., A. E. May & Son, Solinsky & Feinburgh, F. Arrowsmith & Co., W. S. Rose & Son and H. G. Brown, dry goods; Nelson, May & Martin and Carter & Buford, hardware; H. M. Grigsby, Anderson & Arrowsmith, Craig & Co. and Pope & Gordon, drugs; F. M. Burch, W. J. Nance & Son, J. S. Reynolds, T. J. Wells, J. S. Childress & Co., R. W. Woodward, Spear & McGrew, D. E. Spear & Son, James Davis, J. P. Rankin, Barrington & Lewis and R. S. Williams, family groceries; W. R. Craig, grain dealer; John West and James T. Oaks & Co., undertakers and furniture dealers; Walter Moffitt, merchant tailor; J. H. Cannon & Co., boots and shoes: T. H. May and W. B. Smithson, books and stationery; B. S. Cheek and G. N. McGrew, confections; Miss M. A. Smith & Co. and Mrs. F. M. Rudd, milliners; John Matthews and H. Rosecrans, saddles and harness; P. M. Ezell and J. C. Young & Co., tinware; W. H. Rose and I. H. Rainey, livery stables; Maclin & Robinson, meat market; hotels-Linden House, J. A. P. Skillern, proprietor, and the St. Giles Hotel, Bledsoe & Brown, proprietors; Jones & White, real estate agents; W. B. Smithson, E. Edmonson, Will S. Ezell, James R. Crow and George T. Riddle, insurance agents; Edward F. MeKissack, J. T. Grant, G. A. McPeters, dentists; Drs. C. C. & C. A. Abernathy, Dr: J. C. Roberts, Dr. William Batt, Dr. W. E. Wilson, Dr. Gordon and Dr. Millhouse, practicing physicians. The Giles National Bank, S. E. Rose, president, John D. Flautt, cashier, was established in 1872, and the People's National Bank, J. P. May, president, George T. Riddle, cashier, was established in 1883, Both banks do a general banking business. The town has one of the best opera houses to be found outside of the cities. The building is 42x84 feet, with an arched ceiling, beautifully frescoed, and has a seating capacity for 800 persons.
The manufactories of Pulaski are as follows: W. N. Webb & Son, general machine shops: Webb & McGrew, woolen factory; McCord & Co., flouring-mill; T. W. Pittman & Co., planing-mill; Williams & Watson, planing and saw-mill; Graham & Son, carriage factory; McGrew & Son, J. B. Childress, tan-yards; Leon Godfrey and J. A. Casey, silversmiths; Morris & Bro. and Woodring & Sullivan, marble works; Bradley Bros. and D. R. Spear, blacksmith; Owen Callihan and W. A. Manning, boot and shoe-makers. There us two newspapers in Pulaski, the only ones in Giles County, both of which are excellent papers with fair patronage, and both belong to the Democratic party in politics. The Pulaski Citizen, of which McCord & Smith are proprietors and L. D. McCord is editor, was established in 1858, and the Pulaski Democrat, J. G. Ford, editor and proprietor, was established in August, 1886. In addition to these two papers, there is a job printing office in Pulaski, of which Charles F. Carter is proprietor.
The secret societies of Pulaski are as follows: Lawrence Lodge, No. 16, F. & A. M., was the first lodge in Giles County, being instituted in August, 1816. In 1821 the lodge forfeited its charter by a failure to elect officers, and in 1824 a new charter was obtained and the lodge revived as Lafayette Lodge, No. 57. During the suspension of Masonry, between 1834 and 1841, the lodge ceased to work, and in 1842 was again revived under a new charter as Pulaski Lodge, No. 101, and continues as such at the present. Pulaski Lodge, No. 12, 1. 0. 0. F., was established in 1845. The charter was destroyed during the war but the lodge did not suspend active work, and at the close of the war a duplicate charter was obtained and is in force at the present. Pulaski Chapter, No. 20, R. A. M., was organized in 1859; Stonewall Lodge, No. 112, K. P., was organized in 1874; Friendship Lodge, No. 104, K. of H., was organized in 1875; Richland Council, No. 407, A. L. of H., established in 1881; Mystic Lodge, No. 25, A. O. U. W., established in 1877; Giles Council, No. 409, R. A., organized in 1880; Pulaski Lodge, No. 170, G. T., organized in 1884; Pulaski Y. M. C. A., organized in 1880; Pulaski Commandery, No. 12, K. T., organized in 1871. There is one church each of Methodist Episcopal South, Cumberland Presbyterian, Presbyterian, Episcopal and Christian denominations in Pulaski.
Pulaski was incorporated in 1820, and Ellsha Eldridge was the first mayor, and Shadrack Nye the lint recorder and treasurer. The present town officers are as follows: Mayor, P. Smith; recorder and treasurer, John Dyer; marshal, J. M. McDonald; policeman, Joseph Flippin; aldermen-J. H. Lightfoot, M. C. Camody, T. J. Walls, R. B. Crow and H. A. Rosecrans.
The streets are as follows: Those running cut and west-Washington, Madison, Jefferson, College, Flower, Hemp, Cotton and Depot; those running north and south-First, Second, Third, Mill Lane and Cemetery. The streets are lighted with gas, the gas being manufactured and furnished by the Pulaski Gas Company, the works of which were established in 1882. The company is composed of Messrs. Chess, Carley & Co., of Louisville, Ky. The local manager is Mr. F. Winship. The streets are also macadamized and furnish some delightful drives. The Giles County Agricultural Society was organized in 1876 and hold annual exhibitions at their grounds near Pulaski.
Elkton, one of the oldest towns of the county, is situated in the Ninth District, fifteen miles southeast from Pulaski, three miles above the mouth of Richland Creek, on Elk River, and has a population of between 150 and 200. Soon after the organization of the county two towns were laid off on Elk River, one immediately at the mouth of Richland Creek and the other a short distance below. They were named Upper and Lower Elkton. Later on another town was laid off about three miles above the upper town, on Elk River, and lots sold by Dr. Purcell and others, which town was named Elkton; thus at one time there were three separate and distinct towns on Elk River within a few miles of each other, and all bearing the same name with the prefix of Lower and Upper only to distinguish them. In the course of fifteen or twenty years Lower and Upper Elkton lost their identity as towns, the citizens moving from time to time to Elkton and other points, and of the three villages only Elkton remains at present. The business of Elkton at present is as follows: A. W. Moore and T. E. Dailey, general merchandise; A. G. Ezell & Milton Carter, J. J. Upshot, John R. Beasley and P. W. Nave, dry goods and groceries; N. M. Hollis & Co., and Stephen Dunn, blacksmiths. There are two white and one colored churches in Elkton, as follows: Methodist Episcopal and Cumberland Presbyterian, and Colored Missionary Baptist. The schools of the town consist of a chartered high school, or academy, and the common school for the colored people.
Lynnville, the second town in size and importance, is situated forty-three and a half miles north of Pulaski, in the Fifteenth District, and on the Nashville & Decatur Railroad, and has a population of about 400. Originally the town stood about a mile from the railroad, and was known as Old Lynnville, but in 1860, upon the completion of the railroad, was moved over to the road, being at present in the old town about seventy-five in habitants and one store, which is kept by Smith & Reed, an undertaking establishment by J. C. Gibbs, and a blacksmith shop by Clifford Fry, while John Wagstaff runs a water power grist-mill on Lynn Creek, near town. The old town was laid off on Lynn Creek in about 1810-11. A Cumberland Presbyterian, Christian and Colored Methodist and Baptist Churches are situated in the old town, though no school is taught there. The business of Lynnville proper is conducted as follows: Smith & Bros., Geo. S. Tate, Wagstaff & Bro., C. H. Witt, and F. M. Walker, dry goods; J. B. McCall, Shields Bros., H. Thomas and Heindman & McIntosh, family groceries; W. B. Pepper and Royster & Co., drugs; Griffis Bros., grain dealers; John Boulie, tin shop; J. W. Dickerson, undertaker; J. B. Bray, planing-mill; James Ridenberry, wood-worker; Thomas Fry and J. H. Lancaster, blacksmiths. The churches are the Presbyterian, Methodist and Primitive Baptist, all white. Half way between Lynnville and Old Lynnville is a splendid high school, which is operated under a four-mile law charter, and which supplies the educational facilities for both towns.
Prospect, a flourishing village on the Nashville & Decatur Railroad, has a population of 200. The town lies thirteen miles south of Pulaski, in the Second District. The merchants of Prospect are R. F. Mays, Gilbert & Reed and J. H. Hazlewood, general stores, and Dr. Cardwell, drugs. N. V. Davis and Dr. Cardwell operate cotton-gins, and T. H. Browning has a blacksmith shop. The secret societies arse the Masons, Knights of Honor and Good Templars, the first named order having a large and commodious hall. There are but two churches in the town, the Methodist South and Colored Baptist. The Propect High School is the one institution of learning in the town.
Aspin Hill, with a population of 150, is another town in the Second District, situated eight miles south from Pulaski, on the railroad. The one store of the village is kept by W. G. Inman, who does a general merchandise business, There is also a Methodist Church and a good public school at Aspin Hill, and the people am a thrifty, moral class.
Campbellsville lies in the Fourteenth District, eight miles west from Lynnville, and has a population of about seventy-five. There are two stores in the village, those of Mirh & Hubbard and Cowan & Co., general merchants. Dew & Wright are the blacksmiths. The only church in the town is the Cumberland Presbyterian. A good high school Is also located in the town. Other villages are Buford, Wales and Veto on the railroad, and Bunton Hill, Bradshaw, Bodenham and Pisgah away from the railroad.
The first school in Giles County of which there is now any record or recollection was the Pulaski academy which was chartered by act of the General Assembly, passed November 23, 1809, just nine days after the passage of the act establishing the county. The act appointed as trustees of the academy John Sappington, Nelson Patteson, Tyree Rhodes, Samuel Jones, Somersett Moore, Charles Buford, and Charles Neeley. There being a surplus of money from the sale of town lots, the commissioners were authorized by the General Assembly to invest a portion of the same in a tract of land upon which to locate and erect a college building and the present commanding and beautiful site on East Hill was purchased. In September 1812, the name of the academy was changed from Pulaski Academy to that of Wurtemburg Academy, and William Purcell, David Woods and Alfred M. Harris were appointed additional trustees. In 1849 a college charter was obtained for the academy by the name of Giles College, when the present large, commodious brick building was erected at a cost of about $15,000.
In 1810 a school was taught by John Morgan in the Weakley Creek neighborhood, and in 1811 a school was taught in the same neighborhood by Rev. James B. Porter,
The first classic school taught outside of Pulaski was established by Rev. David Weir in 1812, near the junction of Lynn Creek and Robertson Fork. The school was one of the leading ones of its day, and was taught for many years.
At a very early date an excellent female academy was established in Pulaski, and suitable buildings were erected on the lot now owned by J. B. Childress. In 1830 the property was exchanged for the lot upon which the Episcopal rectory now stands, which building was erected for the academy. This building became damaged by a crack in the walls in 1853, to such an extent as to be considered dangerous, and a short time before the late war the property was sold and the school discontinued.
The teachers of Wurtemburg Academy from 1824 were as follows: William W. Patter, William Loring, William Price, Mr. Mendum, John C. Brown, Daniel G. Anderson, Benjamin F. Mitchell, John A. McRoberts, Woodberry Mitchell, James L. Jones, Prof. Sharp, John H. Stewart, Charles G Rogers and Alfred H. Abernathy. Of the Female Academy, the teachers were Rev. James Hall Brooks, Mrs. Thormason, Mr. Davis, Dr. Rowles, and Rev. Robert Caldwell, the latter being one of the most celebrated educators of his day.
In 1870 Thomas Martin, one of the leading citizens and business
men of Pulaski, and
a pillar of the Methodist Church, died and left $30,000 to be expended in the establishment and endowment of a college for young ladies, to be located at Pulaski. In 1872, in
accordance with Mr. Martin's bequest, Martin College was chartered, and handsome and commodious brick buildings were erected in 1873. The buildings will accommodate from 80 to 100 pupils. The study hall, recitation and music rooms, as well as parlors and sleeping apartment, are well lighted and ventilated, and are unusually large and pleasant. The many conveniences embrace a fire escape, elevator, covered galleries, etc. The grounds cover an area of about' eight acres, and are beautifully laid out in walks and flower gardens. The buildings and grounds cost about $30,000. John S. Wilkes is the president and Ida E. Hood and Susan L. Heron, principals. The board of trust is composed as follows: J. S. Wilkes, president; William S. Ezell, vice-president; L. W. McCord, secretary; J. B. Childers, treasurer; J. P. May, John T. Steele, John D. Flautt, Wm. F. Ballentine, H. M. Brannan and J. S. Childers. There are chartered schools at Lynnville, Prospect, Elkton, Aspin Hill and other points in the county, all of which have a good attendance. The public schools are in a healthy condition, and are conducted for six months in the year.
In 1885 the scholastic population of Giles County was as follows: White, male 4,143, female 3,789-total, 7,932; colored, male, 2,695, female, 2,499-total, 5,194; total, white and colored, 13,126. The semi-annual apportionments of school money in 1885 was for Giles County as follows: April apportionment, $1,730.27; October apportionment, $1,730.27. During 1885 the numbers of teachers employed in Giles County was as follows: White, male, 74, female, 29; colored, male, 25, female, 18; total, 146. The number of schools and school districts in the county are as follows: White schools, 103; colored, 43, total, 146. Number of school districts in county, 20. In 1885 there were two institutes held in the county, which were attended by 103 teachers. The number of teachers licensed in the county in 1885 were as follows: White, male, 74, female, 29; colored, male, 25, female. 18; total, white and colored male and female, 146. There were in 1885 pupils enrolled as follows: White, male, 3,314, female, 3,031; colored, male, 2,156, female, 2,009; total, white and colored, 10,510. In the same year there were 51 frame and 26 log schoolhouses in the county, making a total of 77 schoolhouses in the county.
Probably the first church organization in Giles County was the Baptist Church at Cross Water, which was organized in 1808 by the Buchanans, Ezells and other settlers of that neighborhood. A log meeting-house was erected in 1809, which stood for a number of years, until torn down and a new and more commodious one was built, which was given the name of Old Zion. Other early churches of this denomination were erected as follows: Lynn Creek Church in 1810, Indian Creek Church, Robertson Fork Church, and a church near the Martin Wood's place in 1811. In 1815 the Baptists organized a church in Pulaski, and in about 1820 erected a substantial brick church building. The organization dying out in after years, the building was sold and converted into a private residence, since when there has been no Baptist Church in the town.
In about 1809 the Methodists organized their first church and erected a log meetinghouse on Lynn Creek, one and a half miles north of old Lynnville, of which Rev. Pruit was the first preacher. In 1810 that denomination organized and erected a church at Mount Pisgah, and soon afterward the "Brick" Church was erected in what is now the Seventeenth Civil District. In 1811 Rehoboth Church, one of the most celebrated of the early Methodist churches, was erected on the Pulaski & Elkton Pike, four miles southeast of the former place. During the same year a Methodist Church was erected on Indian Creek, about three miles southwest of Bee Spring. Bethel Church, on Elk River, was erected in 1817, almost entirely alone by Wm. R. Brown. Mount Gilead Church was erected in 1830, and Hopewell Church in 1829. Sometime in 1820 a log church was erected on Third Street in Pulaski. Later on a large brick church was erected, which was afterward sold to the Odd Fellows, and in 1851 the present substantial brick church was erected at a cost of about $8,000. The twenty-second session of the Tennessee Conference was held in Pulaski, commencing November 6, 1883, being held in the court house. In 1830 a large camp ground was established at Prospect and a church subsequently erected, known by that name.
The Presbyterians organized and erected their first church in the county at Elk Ridge, two and one-half miles cut of Lynnville, in about 1810, of which Rev. David Weir was the first preacher. Man's Hill Church was erected the following year. in 1812 the Pulaski Church was erected, of which Rev. Gideon Blackburn was the first preacher. In 1820 the Presbyterians and Masonic lodge joined finances, and erected a large brick church and Masonic hall combined, and in 1852 the present brick church was erected at a cost of about $7,000. In 1822 the Tennessee Presbytery met at the court house in Pulaski.
The first church organized and erected in Giles County by the Cumberland Presbyterians was Mount Moriah, in the Thirteenth District, in the fall of 1811. The organization took place at the residence of Reese Porter, whose son, James B., was the first preacher in charge of the church. The Shoal Creek Church was erected in 1818 in the Paisley neighborhood, of which Rev. A. Smith was the first preacher. The Pulaski Church was organized in July, 1828. In 1840 a large brick church was erected, which was subsequently torn down, and the present handsome edifice erected, in 1882, at a cost of about $10,000. All of these early churches had their camp-grounds, and conducted camp-meetings until about 1840, and in some instances until within a few years of the breaking out of the late war.
The Pulaski Episcopal Church was organized in about 1849 or 1850, and held services in the Odd Fellow's Hall until 1854, when the congregation purchased the old Female College building, and converted the same into a rectory, which is in use at the present time. The congregation has a beautiful lot, and it is the intention to erect a handsome church edifice thereon at no distant day. The Pulaski Christian Church was established in 1869, and for a while held their meetings in the court house, but at present meet in the Odd Fellow's Hall.
The churches of the present, outside of the, towns, in the county are as follows, by civil districts: First District-Smyrna; Mount Pleasant, Methodist Episcopal South, and Union Hill, Missionary Baptist. Second District-Fetusia, Cumberland Presbyterian; Liberty, Methodist Episcopal South; Ridge, Baptist, and Poplar Hill, used by all denominations. Third District-Pleasant Hill, Beach Grove, Cumberland Presbyterian; Mount Zion, Beach Spring, Baptista; Bethel, Carmel and Hebron, Methodist Episcopal South. Fourth District-Bluff Spring, Missionary Baptist; Puncheon Camp, Hard Shell Baptist; Booth's Chapel, Pleasant Ridge, Methodist Episcopal South; Shoal Bluff and Noblett's Chapel, Christian. Fifth District-Rural Hill, Christian; Loan Oak, Methodist Episcopal South; Weakley Creek and Old Side, Baptist; and Mount Joy, Colored Cumberland Presbyterian, and Chestnut Grove, Colored Missionary Baptist. Sixth District-Mount Moriah, Cumberland Presbyterian; Trinity, Chestnut Grove, Cedar Grove, Methodist Episcopal South; Cool Spring, Christian; and Cedar Grove, Martin Box, Anthony Hill, African Methodist Episcopal, and Rocky Point, Colored Baptist. Eighth District-Sharon, Prosbyterian, and Rockey Mount, Colored Presbyterian. Tenth District-Mount Pleasant and Mount Zion, Methodist Episcopal South. Eleventh District-Blooming Grove, Friendship, Parson's School House, Methodist Episcopal South, and Old Zion, Baptist. Twelfth District-Union, Baptist; Mount Olivet, Methodist Episcopal South, and Lilburn Chapel, American Methodist Episcopal. Thirteenth District-Pleasant Valley, Pleasant Hill, Methodist Episcopal South; Minnow Branch, Methodist, Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterian combined, and Pleasant Hill, African Methodist Episcopal. Fourteenth District-Taylor's Chapel, Williams' Chapel, Methodist Episcopal South; Gibsonville, Primitive Baptist; Center Point, Christian, and Powell's Chapel, Christian. Fifteenth District-Antioch, Methodist Episcopal South. Sixteenth District-Ash Gap and Simpson's Chapel, Methodist Episcopal South. Seventeenth District-Mount Zion, Baptist and "Brick" Church, Methodist Episcopal South. Eighteenth District-Hurricane Creek, Shoal Creek, Egnew Creek, Methodist Episcopal South, and Scott's Hill. Baptist. Nineteenth District-Pleasant Valley, Hebron, Salem, Methodist Episcopal South; Pleasant Hill, Baptist, and St. Matthew, African Methodist Episcopal, and Philippi, Colored Cumberland Presbyterian. Twentieth District-Mount Pisgah, Bee Spring, Mount Zion, Methodist Episcopal South; Unity, Primitive Baptist, and Indian Creek, Hard Shell Baptist.