Search billions of records on

These excerpts are from THE STAUNTON DAILY LEADER, Saturday, October 19, 1918.



News reached Staunton yesterday of the death in Cumberland, Md., of Mrs. Pete CHARUHAS, formerly Miss Grace GREGORY, of this city. She is survived by her husband and a young child and by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles GREGORY; two sisters and two brothers. She was about 25 years of age. While a resident of this city Mrs. CHARUHAS assisted her husband in the conduct of Pete’s Candy Kitchen, in its day one of Staunton’s best known establishments.


The Harrisonburg News-Record of yesterday contained news of the death of Mrs. Margaret SNARR, wife of Dr. George G. SNARR, city physician and prominently known as a surgeon throughout the State. Influenza developed into pneumonia and she expired within a few days. Dr. SNARR, who is just recovering from the influenza, was constantly at her bedside.

Besides her husband, she is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. David McINTYRE, of Lonaconing, Md., one sister and four brothers. The body was taken to Lonaconing for burial yesterday.


It is gratifying to the friends of Dr. R. P. BELL, now a major in the medical corps of the army, to know that he has been promoted to the command of an important base hospital in France, of about 2,000 beds.

Maj. BELL is a surgeon of unusual skill and ability, and our boys over there who are so unfortunate as to need a surgeon will be fortunate to be sent to Dr. Bell’s hospital.


The remains of J. Colvin PANCAKE, whose sudden death at Jacksonville, Fla., was recorded in The Daily News of yesterday, will be interred at Romney, W. Va. His brother, Campbell PANCAKE, of Staunton, will accompany the remains to that place.


Norfolk, Va., Oct. 18—In front of Bennett’s shoe store, High street, a large newsstand is without its proprietor today. The two-wheeled vehicle with its pyramid top is standing alone, offering its wares without a vocal appeal to the public.

For its owner—the youngest newsstand owner in the country—is ill at his home with Spanish influenza. So the vehicle and the papers it exhibits depend upon public discernment and not solicitation.

James NORRIS, of 206 High street, owns the stand. Jimmie is now just four years old. A year ago his father, of Bennett’s shoe store, gave Jimmie 15 cents to start in the magazine business and he gave it, laughingly. The child’s insistence amused him.

But Jimmie, although a teensy tot, knew what he was about. His pretty face was an appeal to the public, and his sales were enormous. He first sold newspapers; then he began to sell magazines; now his large stand has every periodical that the reading public demands.

Jimmie is ill. His father and mother are watching him closely, and a physician is in constant attendance at the house, 206 High street.

But Jimmie will pull through. The same fine spirit that made the infant owner of a newsstand a success in his life of business will bring him safely back from the misty shores of disease.


Approaching Marriage of National Interest

Of national interest is the announcement by Postmaster General and Mrs. A. S. BURLESON, of the engagement of their eldest daughter, Lucy BYLE, to Ensign Charles Greene GRIMES, U. S. N., of Dayton, O., now stationed in Washington. The wedding will take place early in November. There is no more prominent figure among the young people in Washington society than Miss BURLESON. She never made a formal debut in society because, after finishing school in Sweetbriar, in Virginia, she entered the collegiate course at the George Washington University, from where she graduated about a year ago. In the early spring she became a yeowoman in the United States navy and was assigned to duty, with her sister, in the office of the paymaster general of the Navy, Admiral McGOWAN. Miss BURLESON and her sister, Miss Sidney BURLESON, are inseparable companions, and have been ever since they started to school as children, keeping close together in their studies and entering society together some time before they had won their diplomas. Miss BURLESON has many friends throughout Virginia among her former classmates at Sweetbriar.


Mrs. E. L. HUMPHRIES, of Staunton, who has been visiting friends in Richmond, is visiting Mrs. W. E. HUMPHRIES on Roxbury street.—Clifton Forge Review


Mrs. Clyde MOREHEAD, of Stuarts Draft, who has been quite ill with pneumonia following an attack of influenza, is reported out of danger and doing very nicely.


Lieutenant Thomas M. JUDSON is the guest of his cousin, Mrs. H. M. BELL at Chilton Hall. He arrived Thursday night from Clifton Forge, where he had been sent by the Central Liberty Loan Committee to talk to the men in the shops. Lieutenant JUDSON went to France in 1917 and served in the British Army. He was sent home some months ago to recuperate from an attack of scarlet fever. He is a most forceful and delightful speaker, and lecturer, and but for the strict quarantine regulations Staunton would have had the privilege of hearing him. Last night he addressed the students at Stuart Hall and gave his experiences on the battlefield.


A. F. ROBERTSON had a cable yesterday from Louis CRENSHAW, who was sent over by the University of Virginia Alumni Association to look out for its sick and wounded. He was that Archie ROBERTSON was all right, that his wound was not severe, but that he would be in Paris for the next three weeks.


Mrs. VICTOR, of Charlotte, North Carolina, is a guest at the Kalorama. She came to Staunton to see her daughter, Miss Eleanor VICTOR, who has been for several years a popular member of the student body of Stuart Hall.


Mr. and Mrs. J. P. BRYNE, who are engaged in government work in Washington, are in Staunton. Mrs. BRYNE has been spending two weeks with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. KENNEDY on West Main Street and Mr. BRYNE has come to be examined for military service. They will return to Washington on Sunday.


Miss Cary GRAVATT, daughter of the Bishop of West Virginia, and for several years his Secretary, has entered the Red Cross Canteen service with the American Expeditionary Force. She sailed for France on September 17.

The above clipping from the Southern Churchman will be of interest here where Miss GRAVATT is a graduate of Stuart Hall.


Misses KENNARD and RITCHIE, of Fishersville, were Staunton visitors yesterday.


Harry PRICE is quite sick with influenza at the home of his sister, Mrs. L. V. ANDERSON, on North Augusta street. His mother, Mrs. Mattie PRICE, of Washington, has come on to be with him.


Mrs. Horner HENKEL, Jr., has arrived from Brownsburg and is visiting Dr. and Mrs. S. H. HENKEL on North Lewis street.


Emmett POWERS left yesterday for Nitro, West Virginia, after spending a week at his home here.


George POWERS has gone to Kearney’s Point, New Jersey, and expects to be there indefinitely.


W. G. SALE, superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company, with headquarters in Richmond, was a visitor in the city yesterday.


Col. Dan PORTER is here from Washington to spend ten days.


An engagement of interest throughout Virginia announced this week is that Miss Rachel BEAL, daughter of Major and Mrs. Jackson BEAL, of Scottsville, to Elmer H. DEACON, of Lexington. The wedding will take place in the Methodist Church in Scottsville, October 24.


Mrs. George A. SPRINKLE, who has been with Dr. SPRINKLE, who is ill with influenza in this city, has returned to Staunton. Dr. SPRIKLE is convalescing.—Richmond, Virginian



Mrs. A. C. SWARTS is spending a few weeks with her brother, D. L. ANDES.


Misses Connie DODD, Minnie LINHOSS, Lettie KEY, Waymond GLOVER and Carson KEY motored to Batesville yesterday for chestnuts.


H. P. KEY is spending a few weeks with relatives in Rockingham.


We are glad to know that Mrs. J. W. KEY who had the influenza is out again.


Mr. and Mrs. John GLENN are moving to Staunton.


J. M. TALLEY, who was indisposed for several weeks, is able to be out again.


Mrs. George GLOVER and daughter Mary, were the guests of Mrs. Mollie CRITZER on Wednesday last.


N. W. COFFMAN and family have recovered from the "flu."


H. W. DUNSMORE is home again after completing his job picking apples near Fishersville.


  1. S. BAILY and family motored to Monterey on Tuesday last for chestnuts.



J. A. CONDON has just returned from Eastern Virginia, where he was called to see his wife and new baby. It’s a boy.


Miss VANHUREN’s school is closed on account of the "flu."


Wallace LYLE is recovering from an attack of influenza.


Mrs. Frank DAVIS is in a hospital at Lynchburg where she is receiving treatment.


Fine weather for shucking corn and a fine corn crop in this section.



Mrs. Elmer AILSTOCK (Jessie LOYALL), died in the Clifton Forge Hospital today at twelve-thirty. She had been sick with influenza for about 10 days.


The tenant house on P. A. TANKERSLIG’s (could it be TANKERSLEY?) farm near Green Valley was destroyed by fire last night. No one was living in the house at the time. A man named LINDSEY was preparing to move in, but had only hauled one load of goods and had left them in the garden until he went after his household goods. It is thought it was the work of an incendiary.


Mrs. Wm. NEFF, an aged lady of Williamsville, died early this morning at her home.


F. A. SHERRATT, cashier of the American Lumber Co., is very ill at the home of Mrs. RHODES at this place. It is feared he has pneumonia.


Radford, Oct. 17—Mrs. W. T. BALDWIN, who has been ill since the death of her son, Edwin BALDWIN, on the second, died at her home here this morning. She was thirty-eight years of age, and is survived by on sister, Mrs. M. L. FURGERSON, of London, Tenn.; her husband, three sons and a little girl of twenty months. The funeral will take place at the house on Friday at 2:30, and interment will be in the West View cemetery.

(Yes, this is an ad, but still, perhaps, of interest to someone.)

Opens Studio in Voice

Miss Emily Overton MOORE, has opened her studio in voice at 102 North Augusta street. Miss Moore has the highest references from the leading authorities in the musical world. She teaches the old Italian method, French and English diction and restores injured voices. Anyone desiring further information call on Miss Moore at 102 North Augusta street or phone 235W.


We wish to thank our many friends for their kindness during the illness and death of our son, W. R. HEVENER, and especially thank the members of the Home Guard.

Mr. and Mrs. H. H. HEVENER


The Twin City Times of yesterday records the following deaths from influenza at Waynesboro, Basic and Stuarts Draft:

Claude BUTLER, 7 years old, died at his home near Love, influenza being the cause of his death. Interment in the family graveyard.

Nora E. COFFEY died October 10, near Love. She was 32 years of age. Surviving are her husband and several children. Grave services were held at Love.

Wade MUNDY died October 14 in Waynesboro. He was 23 years old, and leaves several brothers and sisters. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. RITCHIE. Burial in Riverview.

John KENNEDY, born in Waynesboro, died at the Brunswick Inn on October 14. Grave service at 8 p.m., Tuesday. Interment in Riverview.

Eugene Edward BRUNK died October 12 near Stuarts Draft. He is survived by his parents, wife and several children. Funeral services conducted by Junior ORDER. Interment at Calvary Chapel.

Ruth Virginia DAVIS, daughter of Henry and Mrs. DAVIS, age 8, died in Washington on October 13. Her body was sent to Basic, and interred at Mt. Vernon Church. Funeral services conducted by Joseph DRIVER. She is survived by her parents and several brothers and sisters.

Robert L. KENDIG, only son of Rev. and Mrs. E. D. KENDIG, of Stuarts Draft, died Saturday night at 9:30 at the home of his father from pneumonia, contracted from influenza.

He was twenty-nine years old, and is survived besides his parents, by his wife, who before her marriage was Miss Sue DUNN, by an infant son, two months old, and by one sister, Miss Mabel KENDIG.

A short service was held at the grave at Mt. Vernon church, conducted by Rev. E. U. HOENSHEL, D. D., of Basic, at 4 p.m. Monday.

Mr. KENDIG was a young man of the highest character, a member of the Brethren church, having established himself as a man of influence in the community, trusted and loved by a large circle of friends.

Gilbert Walker CHILDRESS died at the home of his parents on Arch St., at 11 a.m. Saturday of pneumonia, following influenza. He was buried Monday afternoon at 3 o’clock in Riverview cemetery. Funeral services conducted by Rev. E. L. RITCHIE. He was fourteen years old, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Vincent CHILDRESS. He is survived by his parents and several brothers and sisters.


Dr. Ruben Frank DAVIS, a popular physician of Lexington, and the youngest practitioner, was the first victim in the community of Spanish influenza. His death occurred at 2:30 o’clock Saturday morning, of October 5. He became sick the previous Sunday. His illness is believed to have been accentuated by the arduous professional demands upon him. His disease was pronounced pneumonia Friday morning and fatal results quickly followed. Wide sympathy and sorrow were manifested at the announcement of his death.

Dr. DAVIS came to this county from Augusta county nine years ago, and began the practice of medicine in the Fancy Hill neighborhood, where he quickly inspired confidence and good will. He removed to Lexington six years later and soon acquired a practice, while maintaining much of that he had in the county. Last year he united with his practice the duties of surgeon at the Virginia Military Institute. On the establishment recently of the S. T. A. C. at Washington and Lee, he was designated as one of the surgeons there. Gentle and kind, energetic and capable, he had before him a promising career.

Dr. DAVIS was born November 7, 1886, at Hermitage, Augusta county. He was a son of a physician whose namesake he was. His mother was Miss Bettie GROVE, of Augusta. He was educated at Fishburne Military Academy and University of Virginia. Since boyhood he had been a communicant of the Lutheran church.

He married Feb. 15, 1911, Mrs. [sic] Bessie Lee LACKEY, daughter of the late William LACKEY and of Mrs. Evelyn LACKEY of this county. She survives him with three children, Elizabeth, Frank and William.

He was buried Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock in the Lexington cemetery. The funeral services were held at the grave, the officiating ministers being Rev. Thomas K. YOUNG, pastor of the Lexington Presbyterian church and Rev. Charles A. FREED, of Columbia, S.C., an uncle of Dr. DAVIS.

There were present at the funeral his mother, Mrs. Betty DAVIS, two brothers and a sister, Earl DAVIS, of Columbia, S.C., Paul DAVIS, and Miss Helen DAVIS of Hermitage, and three uncles, George, William and James GROVE, of Augusta county. Among others present at the funeral was Miss Nannie GILMORE, of Stanton, a number of people from the Fancy Hill neighborhood. Another sister, Mrs. Hugh KEISTAER, of Springfield, Mass., was unable to attend.—Rockbridge County News


Grover CLEMENTS, of Ivy, Albemarle county, a fireman on the C. & O. Railway, died Monday night in a Charlottesville hospital, after a week’s illness of influenza and pneumonia. Mr. CLEMENTS was a son of the late Edward CLEMENTS, of Ivy, and was thirty years of age. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Elo CLEMENTS, two brothers and five sisters—Lemuel and W. B. CLEMENTS, Mrs. SIMMONS, of Iron Gate; Mrs. A. D. SPROUSE, of Clifton Forge; Mrs. Lloyd GIBSON, of Crozet; Mrs. Raleigh GIBSON and Mrs. TRAIN, of Ivy.—Clifton Forge Review.

In the Day’s News

Vice Admiral Sir Alexander Ludovic DUFF, who is now in America as a member of the British war mission headed by Sir Eric GEDDES, has had a long and distinguished naval career, winning honors in active fighting and filling numerous responsible executive positions. He was born in Scotland in 1861 and entered the navy at the age of 20. From 1911 to 1914 he was director of the mobilization division of the Admiralty War Staff, and from 1914 to 1917 he was rear-admiral of the fourth battle squadron, during which time he took part in the battle of Jutland, being mentioned in dispatches and receiving a C. B. for his services. During the past year Admiral DUFF has served as assistant chief of the British naval staff.


Roanoke, Va., Oct. 18—John WOOD, secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, has received notice of his appointment as chairman of the Roanoke City Council of Defense. The appointment came through the State secretary, C. R. KELLEY, of Richmond.

By a unanimous decision of the recent General Conference women have been placed on an equality with men in all that affects their relations as laymen of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada. So far, however, the church has declined to admit women to the ranks of probationers and ordained ministers.


Men called for examination Monday, Oct. 21, 1918:


TEED, Raymond W.

JENKINS, Irwin H., (col.)

ASHBY, Clarence W., (col.)

BRAND, Louis C.

LOTH, William J., Jr.

COYNER, Alfred L.

CROSS, Roy Stover

AREHART, Wallace W.

LAMBERT, Jack Monroe

? (paper torn), Roy C., (col.)

STOGDALE, Raleigh L.

TAYLOR, Robt. E.


RHODES, Edward E., (col.)


CRAIG, Marvin Alfred


HAILE, James R., (col.)

CARROLL, Charlie D.

HARRIS, Felix A.


DERRITH, Oliver J., (col.)

CARR, John H., (col.)

EDDISON, John Russell


HAYS, Lloyd C.

GREGORY, Wilbur G.

TURNER, William F.

GRAVEY, George H.

LINDSAY, Irvin Keezle, (col.)

WESTERN, Wilbur G.

PARR, John F.



MURRAY, Hansey, (col.), 2A

HUFFMAN, Jacob, 4A

BEARD, Warren Hamilton, 1A

MOFFET, Syle Moore, 5B

TIMBERLAKE, James Harfield, 2B

FUGUE, Harry, 1A

MYERS, Robt. E., 4A

GAYHART, Willie Irvin, 4A

SHULTZ, Earl Mechlin, 2B

LEE, James Edward, 4A

HARRIS, Garrett G., 4A

GABBERT, John Stratton, 1A

RYAN, John Thomas, 4A

CURREY, John Wm., 4A


VIA, Henry C., 4A

AUSTIN, Hale Duncan, 4A

PAINTER, William A., 1A

BARR, Hugh Lee, 1A

JONES, William (col.), 4A

ROWE, Wm. Frederick, 1A

BROOKS, Geo. E., 1A

PIDCOCK, James Garfield, 1A

TODD, John Wesley, Jr., 4A

RICE, Bryon A., 1A

DEOS, Cecil, 1A

SPROUSE, Albert L., 4A

POTTER, Oscar Alexander, 1A


BOWLES, F. L., (col.), 1A


CHAMBERS, Sam, (col.), 4A

LEWIS, Julius E., 1A


DARCUS, Jim Aron, (col.), 4A


CLEMMER, Homer Robert, 4A

CLARK, Ralph B., 1A

KEY, Tucker C., 4A

CARICOFE, Norman Allen, 4A



BERRY, Ray M., 1A

HANGER, Robt. S., 1A

PATTERSON, Charles Ault, 1A

SPECK, Harry A., 1A

TALLEY, Wilford, 4A

GILMORE, Andrew J., 1A

DUNCAN, Wm. Early, 1A

CRAFTON, John H., 4A

JOHNSTON, Charlie A., 1G

STEELE, Wm. H., 4A

CONRADE, Robt. O., 4A

LEE, Robert E., 1A

WILSON, Daniel A., 4A

CRAIG, Wm. H., 4A

SHEETS, Elbert N., 2A

HOUFF, Lewis B., 4A

FRETWELL, Barlett Yancey, Jr., 1A

SMITH, Charles James, (col.), 4A


DORMAN, Jos. D., (col.), 2A

C. Frank HENKEL died at the home of his father-in-law, S. G. KINGSBURY on Basic Heights on Saturday morning at twenty-five minutes past four o’clock. He had been home from Peniman only a few days, and it was there he contracted the Spanish influenza which followed by pneumonia resulted in his death. Two months ago he accepted a position at Peniman and had shipped a part of his furniture there expecting to move in the near future. While there he was making arrangements for the house and the moving, his wife and child were staying with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. G. KINGSBURY where Mr. HENKEL died. Mr. HENKEL moved to Waynesboro with his parents about 18 years ago, and during those years of his residence here he made many friends who held him in highest esteem. He was of a quiet disposition and always lived an exemplary life. He was a member of the Grace Lutheran Church, and was also an Odd Fellow. Three years ago he married Miss Bessie KINGSBURY, who with one child survive him. He was twenty-six years old. His funeral was held at the home of Mr. KINGSBURY on Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. E. L., RITCHIE. Interment in Riverview.—Twin City Times


Virginians and West Virginians named in General PERSHING’s

Reports Made Public By the War Department


Teddy OWENS, next of kin, Mrs. Clementine OWENS, Jane, Va.

Lawrence A. MAYLE, Moatsville, W. Va.


Grey C. PADGETT, next of kin, Mrs. Edna PADGETT, Legneleburg, Va.

Stewart W. PIERCE, next of kin, Mrs. Eliza PIERCE, Richmond, Va.

Henry N. SNEAD, next of kin, Mrs. Mollie SNEAD, Crystal Hill, Va.

Edward T. EDMONDS, next of kin, Willie EDMONDS, Rawlings, Va.

Wm. C. HOCKING, next of kin, John HOCKING, Ivanhoe, Va.

Howard W. SOUTHALL, Gay, W. Va.


Conley Barker RINGLEY, next of kin, Johanna Frazer, Hiltons, Va.

Wm. J. LAREW, Newberg, W. Va.

Guy George DAVISON, Kanawa Head, W. Va.


Jennings BEAGLE, Ripley, W. Va.


Clyde M. HOPPER, Caldwell, W. Va.


Jesse L. COLLINS, Tunnelton, W. Va.

Wm. K. RIFE, Parkersburg, W. Va.

Russell D. STRAWSER, Cronesville, W. Va.

The total number of casualties reported was 74 casualties reported was 737, of whom 146 were killed in action, 91 missing, 256 wounded severely, 2 died of wounds, 6 died of accident, 39 died of disease, and 173 wounded, degree undetermined.

Return to home