Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

To Dallas County Archives main page
(Updated April 11, 2004)

1886
A New Town.

     As an immediate result of the boom, a town to be known as the West End is in process of being laid off west of the river. It is designed to raise the pike road above high water mark and ultimately accommodate the people of the West End with a line of street cars. It is surmised, that ten years hence, when Dallas will have nearly trebled its present population, the West End will contain the finest private residences of Dallas.

- February 9, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -

1887
West Dallas Items.

     Miss Ora James, of Alabama, is visiting her aunt, Mrs. Hisel, of West Dallas.
     Mr. Winson, of Dallas, has bought an acre just west of Mr. W. C. Nolan, on Main street, on which he intends building a fine residence immediately.
     The new residence of Mr. L. F. Powell, on the side of the hill, will be completed to-morrow.
     Mr. Elbert Harding, of the city, intends erecting a store room on the pike at the foot of the hill in a short time.
     Mr. Smith, of Dallas, the gentleman who is building the park in West Dallas, bought of Mr. M. K. Bradford, two one acre lots on Main street, fronting the grocery store, on which, it is said, he intends erected a fine residence soon.

- March 17, 1887, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1.
- o o o -

West Dallas Dots.

     Mr. Jim Flanders, the architect, writes from San Diego, Cal., that he is not as well pleased with California as he expected. He will probably come back to West Dallas.

- October 15, 1887, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 2, col. 1.
- o o o -

West Dallas Dots.

     Wm. H. Potter, father of a seven-pound girl.
     Mrs. Bush, sister of Frank Powell, of the live stock journal, is very ill.

- October 25, 1887, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 3, col. 1.
- o o o -

West Dallas Dots.

     The boys of West Dallas are walking straight since Miss Lizzie Dorsey, of Dallas, has made this her home.

- October 28, 1887, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 4, col. 3.
- o o o -

West Dallas.

     Mr. Ben Cowand has traded his property in West Dallas for poperty in Ellis county. He will move about the last of the week.

- December 29, 1887, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 3, col. 1.
- o o o -

1890
OVER THE RIVER.

________

The Question of Incorporation Dis-
cussed at West Dallas.

WEST DALLAS, Sept. 4.
     A large and enthusiastic meeting of the citizens of West Dallas was held at Fisher's Hall yesterday evening to consider the question of formulating a new city government out of Oak Cliff and West Dallas. A number of warm speeches were made on the subject, showing the fallacy of the movement as outlined and denouncing it as an exhibition of bad faith and an invasion upon the best interests of the many citizens of limited means who had located in Oak Cliff and West Dallas, that they might enjoy the privileges of a nice, quiet, country-like home, high, free, away and above the dust and the din of the city, where the air is fresh, the water is pure and the eternal vigilance of the city tax collector would be cut short. The decision was unanimous that West Dallas needed no incorporation; that it would prove a hardship upon her people, as also, many citizens in Oak Cliff who were now liquidating the debts upon their homes in the way of making partial payments--payments earned by the sweat of the brow, and that to create an additional burden was both unwise and unfair and in antagonism with the promises and assurances that induced many of them to buy and build and cast their lots with us.
     One speaker stated that he knew of as many as twenty people who had decided to buy and build west of the river, but that if the country was incorporated, not one of them would come among us. Another ridiculed the movement as the essence of inconsistency, in that Lisbon, Eagle Ford, Grand Prairie and Scyene had been ruthlessly left out in the cold, and that they, too, should, by all means, be given a living chance--that of coming into the fold and sharing in the abundance of the good things promised. He charged that the natural boundaries of the proposed new government had been gerrymandered in personal interests.
     Another speaker ventured the assertion, that the one question of the successful termination of a mammoth real estate deal, figured conspicuously in the formulating of the boundaries, and that the hand of an artist was clearly visible.
     Judge W. H. Hord was appointed permanent chairman and W. R. Fisher, secretary. The following resolutions were unanimously passed with the instruction that the Dallas Morning News, the Dallas T
IMES-HERALD and the Oak Cliff Weekly, be asked to publish them:
Whereas, A movement is on foot to incorporate Oak Cliff and West Dallas into one municipality, and thus create a city government to be fostered and maintained by levying and collecting taxes from the people, and
     Whereas, It is the sense of this meeting, that so far as West Dallas is concerned, said corporation would not only prove a hardship upon her people, many of whom are of limited means, and have invested to the extent of their all in the way of partial payments in their little homes, but it is absolutely useless and absurd and carries upon its face the evidences of jobbing and bad faith, and
     Whereas, It is in the minds of our people, that in Oak Cliff proper, the people would not, knowingly, be instrumental in forcing West Dallas, remotely situated as she is, two and one-half miles from Oak Cliff, into a corporate body, against her expressed wishes, that taxes may be imposed and collected, and,
     Whereas, It is the well-grounded opinion of our people that this movement for incorporation, as now outlined, is purely a scheme, and comes of necessity for the final crowning and rounding up of a mammoth Real Estate deal, and in which Oak Cliff proper and West Dallas have not a dime's interest--to centralize the government of the two places midway between them in the center of a big body of wild land (unoccupied save by a lonely suburban car line track) owned by certain individuals, and,
     Whereas, Such a turn of affairs would greatly depreciate the value of property in Oak Cliff proper and West Dallas, and also impose upon the two places a living and perpetual tax, without any adequate benefit; therefore, be it
     Resolved, first, That we oppose in every honorable way, the dragging of West Dallas into the ridiculous and absurd boundaries marked out for her, and that we make known our feelings in the matter in a proper and respectful way to the candid and thinking people of Oak Cliff proper.
     Resolved, second, That if we have to go into a corporation at all, it is our wish to be gathered under the wings of our old mother, from whom we have drawn the breath of life, and to whom we owe every dollar of our prosperity--Dallas.
                    W. R. F
ISHER, Secretary.
                    W. H. H
ORD, Chairman.

- September 4, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 4-5.
- o o o -

1891
The Revival Meeting at West
Dallas.

     The revival meeting under the auspices of St. Paul's M. E. Church, South, West Dallas, is deepening and widening in its influence and large crowds are nightly in attendance. Rev. R. W. Thompson preached a powerful sermon last night, melting his audience to tears, from the text, "Beloved now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know when He shall appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see him as He is," 1st John 3-2. There were visible demonstrations throughout the sermon, and at times, an outburst of feeling seemed imminent. At the urgent request of the audience, he will preach again to-night. The services during the protracted meeting are prayer meeting at the church 10:30 a. m., cottage prayer meeting at 4 p. m. and preaching at 8:30. Everybody, irrespective of denomination, is cordially invited to all these services.

- August 12, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 2.
- o o o -

Real Estate Transfers.

     W. J. Simpson and wife to W. R. Fisher, land out of the William Coombes survey, $600.
     M. V. Teagarden and P. A. Sidell and wife to W. R. Fisher, land out of the William Coombes survey, $800.

- September 4, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 4.
- o o o -

[Editorial]

     The recent change in schedule of the Oak Cliff railroad gives Oak Cliff a little better system, but is rough on West Dallas, which gets only three trains a day. There is talk of an injunction suit. The three trains a day is about twice as good as nothing at all. A hack line is being organized to run hourly trips to the old city on the hills.

- November 26, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 2.
- o o o -

City Notes.

     West Dallas, on Tuesday, Dec. 29, will vote to determine whether that village shall incorporate for free school purposes.

- December 9, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -

VOTED TO TAKE CHARGE.
______

West Dallas Decides to Incor-
porate as a School District.

     There was an election held in West Dallas yesterday for the purpose of incorporating for school purposes. The canvass for votes was warm and attended with much feverish anxiety. The vote stood 41 for to 38 against incorporation, which, to say the least, is a disgrace to the little village, showing as it does the number opposed to schools. As it takes a two-third vote to levy a tax for the maintenance of a bond issue to erect a handsome and commodious building, the worthy ends sought have been relegated to the rear.
     There is a prevailing sentiment among a large element in West Dallas that good schools is a sort of exponent of the intelligence and progress of a community--that the best possible thing to recommend a community is to have it go abroad that its people believe in education, a well regulated system of public schools. By the vote cast, it is evident that --it so appears upon the surface--there are many, too, whose enthusiasm has not yet worked itself up to so admirably a standard of belief.

- December 31, 1891, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 2.
- o o o -

1892
[No Heading]

     A plant for the manufacture of tile and red pressed brick has been put in at Frenchtown, over the river.

- March 7, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 4.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

     Louis J. Witte, of West Dallas, departed for Chicago last night, to purchase machinery for an ice plant.

- March 7, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 4.
- o o o -

SUNDAY SCHOOL PICNIC.
______

In West Dallas -- Hogg a Prime
Favorite.

                                                               DALLAS, Tex., May 5.
Editor of the Times-Herald:
     Quite a crowd gathered in Fisher's Grove, West Dallas, to-day and enjoyed a real old-fashioned picnic. It was under the auspices of the West Dallas Christian Sunday school, and was a pronounced success in every particular. A very instructive talk to both parents and children was made by Mr. H. H. Smith, after which a bountiful dinner was spread and partaken of by all.
     A polling of the voters resulted in Hogg, 27; Clark, 3; and non-committal, 3.
                                                                                 "C
ITIZEN."

- May 6, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 6.
- o o o -

NEW BRICK SCHOOL HOUSE.
______

West Dallas in the Van of the
March of Progress.

     Frank Powell of West Dallas stated to a TIMES-HERALD reporter to-day that the citizens of that progressive village have decided to build a $10,000 brick school house. It will be two stories high and fitted throughout with all the modern conveniences. West Dallas is now an incorporated school district and will move right along, according to Mr. Powell.

- May 24, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 5.
- o o o -

Picnic in West Dallas.

     The Sunday school of St. Paul's M. E. Church, West Dallas, will have a picnic Thursday 26th, at which time, would be glad to see the TIMES HERALD represented. Trains will leave Commerce street at 10 a. m. on the Oak Cliff railway and will connect with trains at Oak Cliff, which will run to Ash station, West Dallas, which is near the picnic grounds. The same arrangements will be made in the afternoon with the train at 3 p. m. Friends in Dallas are invited to come out and enjoy themselves.

- May 24, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -

FESTIVITIES AT WEST DALLAS
_____

May Celebration and Picnic,
Pleasing Entertainment and
Delightful Day.

     The May celebration of the West Dallas Methodist Sunday school, yesterday, was a most pleasing success. The school has nearly a hundred scholars, and from a glance at the attractive and festive assembly, it is safe to say that all were there.
     The picnic was held in a beautiful grove at the foot of Mr. Airy, and an evergreen arch was constructed over a platform where was hidden an organ. The exercises were opened by the superintendent of the school, Mr. Geo. Brundett, with Mrs. B. at the organ and the music was joined by the chorus of bright and happy children.
     Warren Langston delivered the opening address, and did it well.
     At the close of the address, all the little girls with floral wreaths upon their pretty heads, entered the arch to the tune of Smith's march, and sang the song, "Welcome."
     Miss Mary Heisel then gave a pleasing recitation and the following pretty little flower girls entered, strewing flowers: Misses J. Slanders, L. Clower, L. Powell, A. Oliver, N. Fuqua, L. Cockrell, R. Rush and M. Brundett. Following came the charming queen, Miss Anna Belle Gorman, most tastefully attired in spotless white and bedecked with flowers, and attended by maids of honor: Lucy Foote, Lillian Rush, Irene Brundett and Anna Foote. Master John Duncan crowned the queen, performing the ceremony impressively and delivering the coronation speech in excellent style. "All Hail the Queen" was then sung, all kneeling.
     Miss Alice Ferguson, a sweet little miss, representing Hope, then presented the sceptre in an appropriate speech, followed by suitable offerings from the four maids of honor as they consecutively knelt. The queen responding, presented each maid with a rose; and Miss Mattie Oliver recited a pretty verse on the rose, followed by another recitation on the Ivy leaf, beautifully rendered by Miss Fray Huey. Then, the four seasons greeted the Queen, represented as follows: Spring, Miss Daisy Hooper; attendants, March, Susie Brown; April, Sallie Cockrell; May, Maud Bond. Summer, Miss Susie Rush; attendants, June, Bertie Chenoweth; July, Blanch Paschal; August Gracie Sands. Autumn, Miss Mary Bennett; September, Bessie Bond; October, Maud Fuqua; November, Mattie Cumberland. Winter, Miss Cecil Rush; attendants, December, Nancy Cumberland; January, Nannie Paschal; February, Mattie Oliver. To this beautifully rendered tribute to the queen, her royal highness responded in a suitable address to her loyal and admiring subjects, bidding all to enjoy the festivities of the day. All acquitted themselves admirably and added much to the entertainment of the people present, young and old.
     A sumptuous and well prepared basket dinner was spread on tables in the grove, and all present accepted the invitation to partake. Many were the compliments paid the splendid dinner, and the good housewives of West Dallas, whose skill was reflected in the rich and well-cooked viands. Messrs. Fuqua, Bishop Ferguson, Clower and their ladies and others were valuable aids to Superintendent Brundett in making the occasion so successful.
     After the dinner, there were short and interesting speeches made by Messrs. Morris Smith and Clark.

- May 27, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 4.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

     James Lassiter, who runs a fruit stand in West Dallas, was dangerously wounded yesterday morning by the accidental discharge of an "unloaded" pistol.

- May 28, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -

Real Estate Transfers.

A. J. Knight, to A. Guillemet, lot on Walnut street, in West Dallas, $475.

- August 22, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 4.
- o o o -

A DAY IN THE COURTS.
REAL ESTATE TRANSFERS.

     J. L. McFarlin to G. S. White, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 2, West Dallas, $800.
     Susan A. Bishop to James McFarlin, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 2, West Dallas, $679.25.

- November 15, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-4.
- o o o -

1893
A Young Man Attempts Suicide in West
Dallas.

     Last night, West Dallas enjoyed a slight sensation. West Dallas doesn't have many sensations, hence she enjoys one when it comes bowling along. A young man, named W. G. Buckingham, swallowed an overdose of morphine with suicidal intent, it is surmised, and was in a fair way to cross over the divide when his friends and two physicians intervened. With the aid of a base and plebian stomach pump, his life was saved. Buckingham, it is said, had been drinking rather freely of late, became despondent and tackled the morphine. He is very glad, now that his funeral was postponed indefinitely.

- January 24, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -

Concert.

     On Friday night at 8 p. m., the ladies of the M. E. church of West Dallas will give a concert at the church for the benefit of the church. Come out and spend a pleasant evening. There will be special trains running on the D. and O. C. railway; will leave Commerce street station at 7:30 p. m., stopping at all stations in Oak Cliff and returning after concert is over. Admission 25¢. Come out and bring your friends.

- March 2, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 2.
- o o o -

A FREE SCHOOL.
_____

The Citizens of West Dallas Will Try
Again to Incorporate the Territory.

     Quite a large and enthusiastic meeting was held in West Dallas last night by the citizens of that place, the object of the meeting being to discuss the matter of incorporating for free school purposes. Dr. Stovall was called to the chair and Ed. L. Fisher made secretary.
     Speeches were made by several of the most prominent citizens, and from the spirit manifested, it is safe to venture that the little village across the river is now ready to work in earnest for better school and also better transportation facilities to and from the city.
     A petition to the county court asking that an order be made for an election to be held to determine whether or not West Dallas incorporate for free school purposes, was read and signed by almost every one present.
     It will be remembered that there was an election held there some time since for this same purpose, but there being some opposition, the election was contested and defeated on account of a technicality.
     There will be another meeting Saturday night, April 29th, at which time, some developments are looked for.

- April 26, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 2.
- o o o -

West Dallas School Matters.

     Another meeting was held in West Dallas last night in regard to the free school matter, which is now being very extensively agitated. The work accomplished by the meeting was the effecting of a permanent organization, which will be styled the West Dallas Improvement Association. The object of this association will be the general upbuilding of West Dallas. Officers were elected as follows: W. N. Coombes, president; Geo. Brundrett, 1st vice president; W. D. Carnes, 2d vice president; E. L. Fisher, secretary, and W. R. Fisher, treasurer.
     On next Tuesday night, May 9, the association will meet again, at which time, reports of very important committees will be heard.

- May 3, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 5.
- o o o -

West Dallas Picnic.

     The "West Dallas Improvement Club" gave a picnic yesterday in the Fisher grove. To say the least, it was a success. Before noon, Claude Wilson gave a lecture on phrenology, and in the afternoon, the audience was treated to a speech by Judge Z. E. Coombes, one of Dallas county's most venerable pioneers. He talked of the progress of the west side of the Trinity for the last fifty years; compared the carriage drawn by oxen with the present locomotive. He showed many other points of contrast between the then and now. He was followed by G. W. Williams, ex-minister to Prince Edward Island, who gave a witty and magnetic talk on the science and art of phrenology, after which, to the satisfaction and amusement of the great crowd, he read the dispositions of more than a dozen persons.

- June 9, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1.
- o o o -

DAILY NEWS BUDGET.

     Rev. A. P. Collins of Arlington is holding meetings for the West Dallas Baptists.

- August 3, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -

NEWS OF THE DAY.

     At an election held in West Dallas yesterday, Messrs. Jones, King, Brundrette, Bishop and Flanders were elected trustees of the new school community. West Dallas has lately been incorporated for school purposes.

- August 22, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

NEWS OF THE DAY.

     Elder Borden, of the Christian church, is conducting an interesting and successful revival in West Dallas. Some ten converts were baptized yesterday afternoon at Kellar Springs, and there are ten or fifteen more whom it is expected will be baptized soon.

- September 4, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -

NEWS OF THE DAY

     The farmers in the neighborhood of Black Creek church, near Estell postoffice, enjoyed a picnic and basket dinner Saturday. Phill Barry Miller was one of the orators.

- September 25, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -

Boys Get Foolish and Go to Church.

     Ike Storey says there will be a prohibition election in precinct No. 8 on the first Saturday in October. This precinct includes in voting places of Eagle Ford, Grand Prairie and Sower's store. Mr. Storey says a great deal of grape wine is made in that precinct and the boys have a way of getting foolish from drinking it and going to church in that condition.

- September 26, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -

West Dallas Election.

     The West Dallas school corporation voted yesterday on the proposition to erect a public school building. The vote was light, resulting in thirty-eight for, and twelve against. The necessary two-thirds was obtained, as the law requires, and it is quite possible that West Dallas will soon have a handsome brick structure for educational purposes.

- October 18, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -

Fireworks Factory Burned.

     The fireworks factory in West Dallas was destroyed by fire yesterday afternoon. The explosion of the fireworks would have made a fine pyrotechnic display, had it occurred a few hours later.

- December 26, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3.
- o o o -

1895
Added March 19, 2004:
REAL ESTATE TRANSFERS.
Deeds.

     Mary T. Flanders and husband to West Dallas, December 1, 1894, lots 3 and 4, block 13, Flanders Heights, $600[?].

- January 9, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

Added March 20, 2004:
REAL ESTATE TRANSFERS.
Deeds.

     J. E. Flanders and wife to Mrs. M. L. Mackintosh, November 25, 1893, part of block 18, Flanders Heights, $100.

- January 14, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 2.
- o o o -

Added March 20, 2004:
REAL ESTATE TRANSFERS.
Deeds.

     J. E. Flanders and wife to James English, August 27, 1888, lot 8, block 18, Flander's Heights, $500.

- January 16, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
- o o o -

Added March 23, 2004:
RUN OUT OF
SCHOOL MONEY.

_____

The West Dallas School Has Closed or
that Reason.

     The West Dallas Public School has closed for want of funds. The county appropriation is exhausted and the State appropriation has not been received.

- January 21, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 6.
- o o o -

Added April 11, 2004:
REAL ESTATE TRANSFERS.
Deeds.

     Mary W. Flanders et al. to village of West Dallas, March 5, 1895, lots 3 and 4, block 13, Flanders' Heights.

- March 12, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -

1897
WEST DALLAS FIRE.

_______

Elder Barcus' Barn and Buggy
House Burned.

     The barn, carriage house, and hen house, along with a lot of grain and hay, on the premises of Elder W. F. Barcus, in West Dallas, were destroyed by fire at 9 o'clock last night.
     The neighbors quickly organized themselves into a fire department and saved Elder Barcus' dwelling, which was for a time threatened.
     The loss was $300; no insurance.

- June 29, 1897, The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -

1903
WANT PART OF FUND
FOR WEST DALLAS.

_____

Open Letter Written by Committee-
man G. Grasty.

     West Dallas, Texas, May 16, 1903.
To the public in general, and to the citizens of the Fourth commissioners' district of Dallas county, Texas, especially:
     A petition was filed with the commissioners' court today, asking for an appropriation out of the bond issue to improve roads in West Dallas, Eagle Ford, Grand Prairie and several neighborhoods. And, especially, that part known as the West Dallas pike--same to be widened and raised above ordinary high water, the consideration being given to culverts and bridges to allow the water to pass during overflows. It is concerning this improvement we wish to speak. We are aware that through a misapprehension, some living on the outskirts of the county might be prejudiced against the improvement of the West Dallas pike.
     To all such, we, the citizens of West Dallas, desire to say we have no wish or intention to take one cent more of that fund than is justly due, based on taxation or population, and when you consider the amount we are asking for, and the necessity of said improvement, we believe that all fair-minded men will see the justice of our cause and will not hinder or hamper us with objections, but, on the contrary, will give us a helping hand. I am glad to say that five hundred voters from West Dallas, Eagle Ford, Kit, Grand Prairie and Sowers have endorsed this petition.
     The facts in the case are these:
     (1st.) We are not asking for the improvement of the whole West Dallas pike from Dallas to the foot of the hill in West Dallas, but only from the bridge across the river to Crow's store, a distance of about twelve hundred (1200) yards.
     (2nd.) The high water road contemplated does not mean above such rises as in '90 and '91, but ordinary rises such as we had this spring, or, in other words, a raise in the road of five (5) feet or 3 feet of dirt and 1
1/2 feet of rock and gravel will give us a road during ordinary high water.
     Now, if you will look at the hundreds of people who travel this road daily in and out of Dallas to their daily avocations--bread winners, men, women and children through heat and cold, mud and dust--who travel this road, their only means of getting to their work. Surely, the better side of your nature will assert itself, and you will concede our plea.
     To give you an idea of the travel and traffic on this road, we have taken a census of the travel for one day.
     Wagons 400, buggies 375, horses 1175, people 1500. Now, this is far below the average, as it is the busy season with farmers and in the middle of the week. The grand total for a year would be approximately 250,000 vehicles, 400,000 horses, 50,000 persons.
     This is not guess work, but based on actual count by reliable persons.
     Besides, in the run of a year, 8000 loads of brick are hauled from one yard. Multiply that by two, and you have 16,000 loads of brick, 5000 loads of cement and, last but not least, according to the same test, 12,000 loads of wood, and when you consider this last item, which affords a living for many who live beyond Eagle Ford, to say nothing of the hundreds of load of grain, cotton and vegetables that come from the country, all of which have to pass over this road, you will understand that the people of West Dallas are not the only beneficiaries of this improvement.
     Neither do we want to rob any section, nor, do we intend to fight any other road. According to the election returns, West Dallas has 12
1/2 per cent of the voting population of the Fourth district. Eagle Ford has 3 per cent, and together, they have 15 1/2 per cent of the voting population.
     We conscientiously believe that 8 per cent of the $125,000 belonging to the Fourth district will give us ample means to make this much needed improvement.
     So, you see while we represent 15
1/2 per cent of the population, we are asking only 8 per cent, or just a little over one half of the amount due us, for if our judgment deceives us not, that will be sufficient. But, even should it take 15 per cent of the $125,000, you could not object, because to come to the city, you travel the same road.
     Then again, it would be a large saving to the county, for the reason that each overflow washes the gravel off the road, so that the county is at a continual expense for repair.
     We believe these facts duly considered will disarm all fair-minded people of any prejudice they might entertain.

         (Signed)  G. GRASTY,
   Committeeman.

- Saturday, May 17, 1903, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 13, col. 3-4.
- o o o -

WHOLE CITY
WAS SHOCKED

_______

Six Cases of Dynamite Ex-
ploded in West Dallas.

______

Old Blasting Material at Cement
Works Acted Like New.
Explosions Early
Today.

     Six hundred pounds of dynamite is considered a rather considerable amount of this dangerous explosive, and it is seldom that a charge requires one fifth as much to do the work for which it is intended. Dynamite is not meant for novices to handle it and even veterans frequently lose their lives in the use of this innocent-looking, greasy matter that is filled with a power that works wonders when properly controlled, and that makes horrors when a mishap of any kind occurs.
     An incident in which dynamite played the "star" part occurred at the old quarry of the Texas Portland Cement company's works, three miles west of the city, shortly after 6 o'clock this morning. Six cases of dynamite, each case weighing fifty pounds, were exploded and the noise and the rumble that the giant powder caused, alarmed tens of thousands of Dallasites, jarred West Dallas into full consciousness, and sent a tremor not unlike an earthquake shock all over Dallas county. It was the biggest explosion Dallas has known in years, and it is considered almost miraculous that nobody was killed.
     The dynamite that shocked Dallas county this morning was three years old, was frozen last winter, had refused on several previous occasions to "do business," and was considered worthless. The stuff was in the way in the store room, and it was decided to get it out of the way. At 6 o'clock, the entire amount was removed to the old quarry, about 400 yards to the south of the cement factory. One of the cases was removed a distance of fifty yards or more from the other cases and a long fuse that had been connected with the isolated case was ignited.
     The men who had charge of the experiment considered the explosive useless, but they took the precaution to get out of the way faster than the fuse burned and soon hid behind the tall cliffs that border the quarry. A few moments later, they felt a shock that lifted them from the ground and that jarred them till their teeth rattled. A noise that sounded like a blast from the infernal regions accompanied the shock. Everybody in West Dallas was shocked and window panes and crockery in the cement works buildings, and in West Dallas homes, were broken. No worse damage than this, however, resulted.
     The fifty-pound case had proved its worth, and the concussion sent the remaining five cases off so quickly that the reports seemed one. The force of the explosion tore out a great hole in the rocks that form the floor of the old quarry and scared the entire community. The cement factory employes were just coming to their work. They are at work as usual, but they would not relish another "bracer" of this kind.
     Shortly after the explosion occurred this morning, the telephone in the Times Herald office was kept busy for several hours by inquirers who wanted to know exactly what had happened.
     The detonation was felt in the extreme limits of the city and many residents who live at Fairland and Jewella were of the impression that something had fallen in their back yards.
     County Clerk Frank Shanks, who resides just outside the city limits on Peak street, though someone had hit his house with a brick, and he hurriedly dressed to chase the supposed miscreant away.
     Judge Thomas F. Nash, of the fourteenth district court, was under the impression that the gas stove in his kitchen had blown up, until he made an investigation and found everything in order; and B. M. Burgher, who lives in Oak Lawn, went out to pick up the bricks that he supposed had fallen off his chimney.
     One anti-annexationist wag stated that he thought the annexationists were trying to blow Oak Cliff into Dallas.
     In speaking of the explosion, Commissioner Neelly said: "The first thing I did when I got to town this morning was to look for the West Dallas pike. I was in hopes the explosion had blown it about three feet in the air."
     Assistant County Clerk William Daugherty was milking his cow in the suburbs of East Dallas when the dynamite blew up, and the usually peaceful bossie nearly kicked over the bucket in getting out of the barn, which appeared to be falling down.
     Almost every house in Oak Cliff was visibly disturbed by the explosion. Windows and bric-a-brac rattled as though an earthquake was in progress. Persons hurried to their doors and windows looking anxiously about to ascertain the cause of the disturbance. Several negro families are said to have gone to praying, thinking the crack of doom had sounded.
     Cows, dogs and cats showed their fear very plainly by running aimlessly to and fro as if seeking a place of safety.
     It was reported that a merchant in North Dallas had a large stock of lamp chimneys stacked together upon a high shelf and that the explosion caused them to rattle together as though they would topple over.

- July 24, 1903, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 5-6.
- o o o -

[No Heading.]

   The county commissioners will begin their regular quarterly session of the court next Monday and will probably be in session for several weeks as there are a number of important maters to be taken up . A large batch of road petitions are to be considered, and it is thought advisable a number of them will be granted. The raising of the West Dallas pike will probably be considered, and if the finances can be arranged, the court may decide to give the West Dallasites a highwater road.

- August 8, 1903, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 6-7.
- o o o -

 

1906
WEST DALLAS DOTS

     The candidates for the various county offices will speak at the school building in West Dallas next Saturday night.
     The West Dallas school board met last night and reorganized. The following officers were elected: W. R. Stovall, president; W. D. Carnes, secretary; E. L. Fisher, treasurer; A. F. Slater, purchasing agent, and N. S. Packers and D. D. Bradley, house committee. Another meeting will be held next Monday night.
     E. L. Fisher received a telegram last night from Chas. E. Jones of Washington, D. C., advising of the death of Mr. Jones, twelve-year-old son, Ernest, at noon yesterday. Mr. Jones, who is a well-known printer, is connected with the government printing offices at Washington, having moved his family from West Dallas to that place some three years ago. Their many West Dallas friends will regret to learn of their misfortune.

- June 26, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 9, col. 4.
- o o o -

1907
WILL RUSH WORK
ON CEMENT PLANT

______

President Cowham of New Company
Here to Push Construction.

      President W. F. Cowham, of the Southwestern States Portland Cement company, accompanied by several other officials of the company, are in Dallas. Ever since their arrival here, Mr. Cowham has been in conference in his room at the Oriental hotel with his engineers and others, relative to the gigantic cement plant they are about ready to construct in West Dallas. During much of the time, they have had H. J. Martyn in conference with them. Mr. Martyn has transacted nearly all of the business the company has so far done in t his city. He acted as agent in the purchase of the needed land and has been largely instrumental in smoothing out all difficulties between the cement officials and those with whom they have had business relations.
     President Cowham will probably spend several days here before returning to his home in Jackson, Michigan. He is more than ever pleased with the heavy purchases his company has made here. Mr. Cowham says his company will get to work at once, in fact, are already at work, and that the big plant will be made ready for business just as soon as the huge task before his men can be completed by them.

- July 26, 1907, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 14, col. 1.
- o o o -

1908
SCHOOL CHILDREN
OF DALLAS COUNTY

     With two independent districts and two common school districts in the county yet to hear from, Dallas County's scholastic population shows a total gain of 453, as compared with last year. This includes the city, which is enumerated as an independent district.
Ninety of the ninety-two common school districts in the county show a gain of 151, but seventy-five of that belongs to Cement, a newly organized district, leaving the actual gain but seventy-five.
     Hackberry and a colored district near Grand Prairie are yet to be heard from among the common school districts, and West Dallas has not yet reported from the independents. All of these reports, however, are looked for by Superintendent Horton this afternoon, when the total scholastic census of the county may be given out.

- June 13, 1908, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5.
- o o o -

RUSH WORK ON CEMENT PLANT
________

Two Million Dollars Being Spent on
Buildings and Equipment in
West Dallas.

    Stockholders of the Southwestern States Portland Cement Company met yesterday morning, re-elected the board of directors and the directors in turn chose the old board of officers. After this, there was inspection of the plant and the outline of the further policy of development.
    The officers and directors are as follows: W. F. Cowham, Jackson, Mich., president; A. C. Stich, Independence, Kan., vice president; Thomas C. Dinsmore, New York, second vice president; W. H. L. McCurtie, Minneapolis, secretary; N. S. Potter, Jackson, Mich., treasurer; John W. Boardman, Jackson, Mich., auditor; Dr. C. H. Wagoner, Minneapolis; W. W. Hawley, Huntington, Ind.; C. E. Ulruchson, Jackson, Mich.; H. D. Breck, Minneapolis; Thomas E. Barkwith, Jackson, Mich.; W. H. Matham, chief engineer; R. M. Miller, assistant engineer. B. V. M. LaRue is superintendent at Dallas; T. R. Johnson, superintendent of construction at the plant west of the city.
    Speaking of the matter last night, Auditor Boardman, who with President Cowham and some others, will be in the city through today and maybe longer, said: "We expect to have the plant at Dallas in full operation by May 1, 1909. Much of the machinery is already in place. Some of the buildings are done. All are to be on a concrete foundation and cement as much as possible will be used in the construction. The total cost of preparation will exceed $2,000,000.
    "At the beginning, the daily output is to be from 2,500 to 3,500 barrels. It is to be of the highest grade cement only. The Dallas rock is not excelled anywhere, and apparently it is in an abundance that will last through scores of years. There are some 200 men at work on the construction. For them, a hotel and a store and other accommodations are already provided. Actual operation of the plant will call for the steady employment of three hundred or more of the operatives. Most of them will doubtless live close to the plant, and this will lead to the development of a sort of settlement there.
    "Our fuel is to be coal. We are to make a full investigation of Texas lignite as a possible fuel. Oil is not especially good for the general fuel uses, though it is used to some extent in the plants over the country, and with fair success. Gas would be excellent. We have developed gas in the Independence field on our own land. It is unsurpassed as a fuel.
     "This talk of bringing fuel gas to Dallas we hope to be true. We are not interested as a company in any such undertaking.
    "If the lignite proves to be a good gas fuel, the navigation of the Trinity and the bringing of the fuel from down the river may mean a great deal to us.
    "Gas will undoubtedly be the fuel of the future. Gas engines and machinery will be used as much as possible. Producer gas, even the artificially made, may become a cheaper fuel than any of the others not found immediately at hand; only natural gas excepted.
    "I like Dallas, we all do. It is a splendid city and the possibilities of Texas are unbounded."

- December 2, 1908, Dallas Morning News, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -

WEST DALLASITES
MEET AGAIN TONIGHT

________

Incorporation Discussed Last Night,
But No Definite Action.

    Nothing of a definite nature was done at the meeting of West Dallas citizens held in the school house last night. The mass meeting was called for the purpose of discussing the question of incorporating West Dallas, and when Chairman J. Milton Grasty called the meeting to order, there seemed to be a strong sentiment in favor of so doing.
    After considerable discussion, however, there seemed to be some doubt as to whether the movement at this time, would be advisable. Accordingly, in the desire to secure a full expression of the sentiment on the matter, another meeting was called for tonight, this time in the Cedar Valley school house, on the north side of the railroad.
    The principal reason urged for incorporation, was that the town might secure an electric light plant, because no company would feel like putting in a plant until incorporation had been had and the town could grant a franchise.
    Those who argued against incorporation held out the argument of increased taxation; that under incorporation, the town would be compelled to keep up five or six miles of roads now taken care of by the county, and that increased taxation would not be wise unless material benefits were promised. Reference was also made to the proposed natural gas pipe line, which would supply cheap lighting.
    Many citizens of West Dallas have expressed their intention of being present at tonight's meeting, when, it is expected, the whole proposition will be thoroughly thrashed out.

- December 4, 1908, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 1.
- o o o -

WEST DALLAS CITIZENS
HAVE TAKEN NO ACTION

_______

QUESTION OF INCORPORATING TO
BE SETTLED TONIGHT.

_______

At Meeting Wednesday Some Objec-
tion Offered Because of Higher
Taxes Which Follow.

_______

    Citizens of West Dallas, and particularly of that part of the place situated south of the railroad tracks, met in the West Dallas School Building Wednesday night to discuss the proposition of incorporating the town. It was a representative body of the men of that section. Nothing of a definite nature was done.
    When Chairman J. Milton Grasty called the mass meeting to order, there seemed to be a strong current in favor of incorporating, but after the matter had been discussed pro and con, there seemed to be some doubt as to whether the move would be well advised at this time. In order to get a full expression of all the people of West Dallas, it was decided to hold another meeting tonight, this time at the Cedar Valley Schoolhouse, on the north side of the railroad. The meeting will convene at 8 p.m., and it is expected there will be a fuller attendance of the people living on that side of the town. Many of the citizens on the other side of town have expressed their intention of attending the meeting tonight.
    The principal reason urged at the meeting Wednesday night in favor of incorporating, was that the town might secure an electric light plant. Those favoring incorporation argued that no company could be induced to put in a light plant unless a franchise could be secured, and that no franchise could be granted until the town was duly incorporated.

Drawbacks of Incorporation.

    On the other hand, those opposed to incorporation argued that it would increase the burden of taxation in many ways, and that if incorporated, the town would be under the necessity of keeping up, and in repair, five or six miles of roads that are now maintained by the county. They urged that it would not be wise to increase the tax rate unless some material benefits promised to accrue. They suggested that arrangements could be made to have the place supplied with lights from the Dallas plant. And, again, it was suggested that in view of the development of the natural gas fields near Henrietta, a pipe line seemed more than probable via Fort Worth, through West Dallas to Dallas, the early lighting of West Dallas by natural gas seemed to be practically assured. As the piping is to be done, they said, by the Texas Company, they argued that the storage plant would be located in West Dallas, and the gas could be used both for fuel and lighting.
    Much interest was manifested by those present at the meeting, and the prospects for natural gas for West Dallas aroused much enthusiasm.
    The proposition, it is said, will be thoroughly thrashed out tonight at the meeting at Cedar Valley schoolhouse, and the indications are that there will be a general attendance of the people from both sides of the railroad.

- December 4, 1908, Dallas Morning News, p. 14, col. 4.
- o o o -

WEST DALLAS NOT
TO INCORPORATE YET

    To be or not to be a city, was discussed by many residents of the lowland sections of West Dallas last night at the Cedar Valley school house, but no decision was arrived at on the question; nor at the adjournment, was any time set for a future meeting.
    About half of the people present were in favor of incorporating, while the other half was averse to the proposed project. Otto Wagner presided at the meeting and Henry Guggenheim, publisher of the Cement Weekly Journal, was secretary.

- December 5, 1908, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 5.
- o o o -

WEST DALLASITES NOT AGREED.
_______

Meeting to Consider Incorporating
Results in Arguments for and
Against the Proposition.

     Residents of the lowland sections of West Dallas gathered last night at the Cedar Valley Schoolhouse and discussed with some warmth the question of corporate civic life. There were those who pleaded for incorporating, for the police protection, for streets, for sidewalks, for water and for lights and for the other privileges and accommodations generally supposed to come of city government.
     Just as earnest and apparently greater in volume was the opposition. It was pleaded that many of the people of West Dallas work in the city and have selected the suburban locations for homes to get rid of city conditions. They declared that they have good water, that if it is desired, they can make it worth while to get both gas and electric light from the city companies and that there is every sort of probability that West Dallas will have street and interurban railway service soon, with natural gas to burn.
     Some thought the added taxation would not be a candle to the benefits derived from city life. Others thought that the care of the roads by the county is enough for the present.
    Otto Wagner presided. Harry Guggenheim, publisher and editor of the Cement Weekly Journal, was secretary. Adjournment was taken without a vote and without a setting of time for further meeting.

- December 5, 1908, Dallas Morning News, p. 4, col. 3.
- o o o -

WANT RAILWAY TO PAVE
RIGHT OF WAY ON ROSS

_______

COMMISSION WILL HOLD SPECIAL
SESSION ON MATTER TODAY.

    Paving matters had chief attention from the Board of Municipal Commissioners yesterday, and plans intended to result in the completion of the paving of Ross avenue with bitulithic and the paving of Colonial avenue with macadam were discussed.

Petition of West Dallas.

     C. W. Heppner, J. H. Pollard and O. Wagner, a committee of the People's Improvement and Protective Association of West Dallas, in a communication, asked for action by the city in the matter of deepening and straightening the channel of the Trinity River, the raising of levees and the construction of a bridge that will care for the high waters of the sort experienced last spring. This was referred to Commissioner Sullivan, who is to investigate the matter, confer with any authorities he will, and have power to act in all respects where actual expenditure of funds is not required.

- December 5, 1908, Dallas Morning News, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -

 

 1917
WEST DALLAS HIGHS
TO BATTLE GARLAND

     West Dallas High School eleven will visit Garland Friday, and at 3:30 p. m., will tie into the fast Garland Highs. A Jim-dandy battle is assured.
     The Garland eleven slightly outweighs Churchill's squad, but the latter is fast and full of tricks and expects to offset this advantage.
     Joe Davis, the West Dallas team's half, and a tower of strength to the team last season, will play against Garland. He was slightly injured during last week's game against the heavy Ferris team, but has entirely recovered.

- October 2, 1917, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 9, col. 1.
- o o o -

WEST DALLAS CHAPEL
OPENING ON SUNDAY

     The formal opening of the West Dallas Baptist Chapel, located on the West Dallas pike, four blocks east of the cement plant, will take place Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock. The song service will be led by Rev. T. H. Coleman, with a special song service by Drue Cumby. M. H. Wolfe, president of the city mission board, will deliver an address. The meeting will be presided over by W. R. Covington, superintendent of city and county missions.

- October 13, 1917, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -

 

1919
WEST DALLAS IS PROMISING
OIL REFINING CENTER

     Although Dallas does not profess to be the oil refining center of the state, several of the largest plants in this section of the country are located here and a good part of the crude oil produced at Burkburnett, Ranger, Electra and various other Texas fields finds its way to Dallas and is shipped out of this city in the form of gasoline, kerosene, paraffine, lubricants, and other bi-products. West Dallas has been selected by the oil companies as a site for their several refineries and the section about two miles west of the county court house has taken on an appearance similar to other districts in the Burkburnett and Ranger territory.
     Plants in operation in West Dallas at the present time are the Texas Company, Oriental Oil Company and Hercules Oil and Refining Company. Work on the Eastland Oil and Refining Company's plant has been going on for some time and the company expects to have its refinery in operation by September. The Republic Oil & Refining Company has purchased a site adjoining the Hercules refinery and plans for the new plant are being drawn at the present time. Work on this refinery will probably begin in August.
     West Dallas is peculiarly adapted to the refining industry. There is adequate water in the vicinity and the Texas & Pacific railway gives a line direct to the Ranger field and makes good connection with the Northwest Texas fields as well as others in the state. The West Dallas pike, one of the best concrete highways in the southwest, leads directly to the refineries and connects them with this city. This road is built to stand heavy hauling and serves all of the refineries.

Texas Company First Here.
     The first refinery to be built in West Dallas was the Texas Company plant. It is located about 3 miles from the city on the Texas & Pacific railway and West Dallas pike and was started in 1907. The plant is built on the unit system and has been enlarged five times in the past eleven years of operation. Work of enlarging the plant and increasing the capacity is going on continually as the activities of the company expands.
     The local refinery is a branch of the Texas Company, one of the largest producing, refining and carrier companies in the entire southwest. It is modern in every way, produces high-grade products.
     The Texas Company has vast holdings in the state, including leases in Burkburnett, Ranger and Oklahoma, refineries here, at Beaumont and other places and controls the pipe line through which crude is brought to Dallas for all of the refineries here. It is capitalized for 90,000,000, and operates its own tank cars. Gasoline, fuel oil and burning oil are the products of the local refinery.
     Officials of the Texas Company are: E. C. Lufkin, New York, president; E. J. Donoghue, Houston, vice president; R. C. Holmes, general manager; F. C. Manley and P. C. Skillern, Houston, managers; C. C. Blackburn, Dallas, superintendent, and C. J. King, Dallas, assistant superintendent.

- July 20, 1919, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. II, p. 4.
- o o o -

1925
Expect Big West Dallas
Industrial Growth

________

Section Possesses
Many Advantages
for Location of Large
Manufacturing Plants.

_______

By D. L. MILLER.

     Already the location of a number of the largest and most important manufacturing enterprises of the city, expansion and development of the West Dallas industrial district is expected to continue at a more rapid rate in the future.
     Because of the many advantages this area possesses for manufacturing purposes, it has, in the past, been chosen as the site for many large factories. These concerns are all growing, and nearly every one of them owns land adjoining that now occupied on which extensions are planned. In addition, property owners are active in securing new firms for the district. These, together with the older ones, are expected to add to the general activity of the region west of the Trinity river.
     Although located within a short distance of the downtown business center of Dallas, the West Dallas and Eagle Ford districts are not within the city limits. For manufacturing purposes, this is said to possess a number of distinct advantages. Some of the best residence sections of Oak Cliff are also within easy reach and are connected with the industrial district by good streets and roads.

Unusual Facilities.
     The level land west of the river offers unusual facilities for building operations. Moreover, there is ample room for erection of dwellings for workmen, as much of the property is completely undeveloped.
     Water is obtainable at shallow depths varying with the quantity demanded. Ample rail and highway transportation are to be had and gas and electric power are provided by large main lines. Various oil pipe lines enter the district from the largest producing fields of Texas and Oklahoma.
     Many Dallasites do not realize the magnitude of the various plants located in the West Dallas territory, which is only one of a number of important industrial centers in various parts of the city.
      The combined manufactured output of the factories located there will be approximately $25,273,500 for 1925, figures recently compiled by the Dallas Chapter of Commerce indicate. The principal products are gasoline, kerosene, naphtha, lubricating oils, cement, chemicals, cement products and sheet metal products. Large quantities of sand and gravel are also secured at various points in the district.

All Parts of the World.
     These products are shipped to all parts of the United States and to foreign countries. They are responsible for making Dallas known and recognized in many distant parts of the world.
     The two cement plants, with a combined output of more than two million barrels a year, use the rock quarried on their property for the manufacture of their product. The plants are operated by the Texas Portland Cement company and the Trinity Portland Cement company, two of the leaders in the industry. Both are modern in every respect and are constantly being added to and improved as progress is made in manufacturing processes. Each company owns large deposits of raw material sufficient for many years' operation. The unusual building activity during recent years and the many new uses discovered for cement have played a large part in the development of these two Dallas institutions.

Oil Important Item.
     Oil is an important item in West Dallas manufacturing activities. Three large companies main-tain refineries and storage plants in the district. Refinery No. 1 of the Oriental company is the first passed by the motorist driving out the Eagle Ford pike. This is followed by the plant of the Emma Oil company. It was formerly owned by the Clayton Oil and Refining company and recently changed hands at a large consideration. The new owners are continuing its development and expansion. The second refinery of the Oriental is just beyond the Texas Portland cement works.
     The Texas commune's refinery is next reached. It is another of Dallas' big manufacturing enterprises. Crude oil for use by the refineries is piped into Dallas and is also shipped here in tank cars from all parts of the mid-continent field.
     Sheet metal products of virtually every kind are produced in the large plant of the Wyatt Sheet Metal and Boiler works, located near the Oriental company's No. 1 refinery. This concern is a Dallas-owned insti-tution and has grown from small beginnings to be one of the leaders in its line of business in the Southwest.
     Items included in its output are culverts, tanks, storm cellars, boilers, smoke stacks and equipment for factories manufacturing gasoline, cotton oil, and for ice and refrigerating plants. No job of this nature is too big for the Wyatt company to handle. It is constantly securing new business from all parts of the country as well as locally and in Texas.
     The United Chemical company, in the vicinity of the Emma refinery, is another of the rapidly growing West Dallas industries. The company manufactures sul-phuric acid in all grades from the bulk commercial article used in the refining of oil to the virtually chemically pure acid for storage batteries.

_________________________

Present Concerns in District Are
Among Largest and Most Important in City.

_________

     Plans were recently announced by the company for undertaking the production of nitric acid and sulphate of alumina in addition to sulphuric acid.
     Reinforced concrete pipe now coming into such general use throughout the country for a number of years, is being produced in quantity by the Massey Concrete products company at its West Dallas plant. This concern is as important in its line as are the others of the district in theirs.
     Newcomers in the section west of the river are the Ly-Nola company and the Chicago Bridge and Iron works. Both of these concerns have recently pur-chased sites in the tract of the Eagle Ford Land and Industrial company and are erecting improvements.
     The Ly-Nola company, manufacturers of soft drinks and vinegar, will move its new location from South Dallas as soon as the new plant is completed. The Chicago Bridge and Iron company, which formerly maintained only an office in Dallas, will use its new site for a warehouse.
     The Eagle Ford Land and Industrial company's development is expected to play an important part in future activity in the West Dallas district. It consists of 220 acres adjoining the town site of Eagle Ford on the T. & P., and is restricted to industrial purposes. Nearby property is available for residences. The company is waging an active campaign to bring new industries to Dallas, and it is understood that several of real importance will be secured during the next twelve months.

Future Development.

     Another large industry in the West Dallas section is the Vilbig Sand and Gravel company. It is engaged in quarrying and hauling of large quantities of sand and gravel for use in construction enterprises throughout this section of the country.
     Development of the West Dallas district in the future is expected to be one of the interesting features of the general growth in manufacturing which business leaders say will accompany the next stages in the advance of Dallas. This development will, of course, be shared by other extensive industrial areas.
     The business interests of Dallas working with the slogan: "More Smokestacks for the Southwest," have launched an intensive campaign not only to bring new manufacturers to the city, but also to establish local concerns that will make use of the natural resources with which Texas abounds and will supply the market needs which can be so conveniently met with Dallas as a center.
     The most conservative observers agree that conditions are such that the movement cannot but meet with success and are confidently predicting that Dallas will grow to a city of 500,000 largely as a result of increased activity in manufacturing lines.

- November 22, 1925, Dallas Daily Times Herald, pt. 3, p. 1.
- o o o -

1934
West Dallas Children
To Be Benefited by
Theater Performance

     The Dallas County relief board, owing to lack of funds, has been forced to withdraw its teachers and workers from the West Dallas kindergarten. Mrs. Doak Roberts, of the Sunshine Club, which is interested in this charitable organization, says the members are determined to keep the kindergarten open.
     A benefit performance will be given at the Texas Theater at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning to help finance the kindergarten. Tickets will be sold in all sections of Dallas.
     "The kindergarten cares for the underprivileged, undernourished and almost starving children from the West Dallas squatters' camp," Mrs. Doak Roberts says. "We have seventy-five children to care for daily. They are given free medical attention, meals, clothing and are bathed daily and kept clean."

- June 17, 1934, The Dallas Morning News, Sec. I, p. 16, col. 2.
- o o o -

1946
West Dallas' Mamma

By Kenneth Foree

     On a gloomy November day of 1934, with a cold rain falling, two women drove out to the muck and filth of the West Dallas Squatters Camp.
     One was Mrs. Ruth Norris Fox, relief supervisor. In tow, was an inexperienced case worker, Mrs. E. W. Winston, born and raised an aristocrat. They walked in the muck, talked with unfortunates in tin hovels, saw hungry people who had no food, no stoves, no wood, found two big families to one small room, a room which had garbage and slop on the floor.
     Said Mrs. Fox to her companion, whose finely chiseled face, beautiful brown eyes and black hair, indicate the beauty of the young woman who refused a debut, "You're going to like West Dallas."
     Mrs. Emma Weaver Winston, who had just sold her home after the $50,000 in stock left her by her father in the Briggs-Weaver Machinery Company, had been wiped out, and had asked and received a $100-a-month job to support her two children, was terrified. It was the day of Clyde Barrow and Raymond Hamilton. She went home and bawled.
     In the middle of her cry, she stopped. Those poor friendless, hungry, browbeaten people. Why, it was her duty to help them, it was her duty to do for pay, what she, as a rich man's daughter and well-to-do young matron, had once done for fun.
     She has been doing so ever since. And, you who lift your noses at West Dallas, or dub it a crime center because it once produced two notorious bandits, can get an earful from Mrs. Winston, thusly: "These people are just as nice as they can be. They're just unfortunate. And, if they had the education, they'd be just as smart as you. They have much native ability."
     But, she did not think so that day she took the job and went back alone. The women hovel dwellers quickly asked, "Is you a government woman?" meaning an informer, and learned, "I'm just trying to make a living helping you." That ended that, and Mrs. Winston quickly found, "They were the sweetest men and women I ever saw. So appreciative." In fact, in a month, she could have pitched a cot in the middle of squatters camp and anyone who bothered her would have been killed.
     She went all over that area trying to run down cases with addresses on unmarked streets such as "back of the green store," "north of the filling station," and among those who were most helpful, was Dad Barrow, who said quietly, "My kids didn't have a chance. Got started pilferin'."
     And, Mrs. Winston's heart went out to kids who had no park, no school clothes, no lunches, no carfare, nothing to do but get into trouble. She saw things that were against the law. One day, she saw the hunted Raymond Hamilton.
     "Hadn't we better call the law?" asked her companion, and was told "I am not a policeman." She was there to help them, not to arrest them.
     One day, the PWA opened a nursery project. Mrs. Winston was put in charge, and up the hill, came 125 kids to get in a place that was warm, where there was food, kids with malnutrition, tuberculosis, bugs, impetigo. She washed them, deloused them, treated them, in what to them, was heaven.
     Then, after a year, the gates to heaven were slammed shut. The project was closed. Mrs. Winston called a meeting of women at her home and told her tale. Said Mrs. Doak Roberts, president of the Sunshine Club, "I don't know how we'll do it, but the Sunshine Club will take over."
     They found a 65-year-old, four-room house on Chappell Street. It had no sewerage, no water, but a father hauled a barrel of water; the Sunshine Club provided shoes and clothes, and Mrs. Winston carried on.
     One night, in an area of no street lights, she decided to give the bigger girls a slice of heaven--a party. Just as the girls held in their hands tin plates with refreshments, big boys rushed in, slapped the plates in the air. The girls ran into the night. The boys faced her with "Well, you old hag, whatcha gonna do about it? Tell the law?"
     Mrs. Winston stood her ground. "No, I'm not. But, I was going to give you a party, too. Now, I don't think I will."
     They slunk out. Two weeks later, they begged for a party, were given a picnic, ball game and ice cream. She has never had any trouble since.
     Since then, she has worked incessantly with adults as well as children. She appealed and got city and county help, and in 1936, the Community Chest took over. Her first big problem was health; you can't sell religion and education to sick people. She found a congregation praying for divine healing over a screaming baby; she found mothers, attended only by midwives, and newborn babies dying in shacks where there were no stoves, no wood, no sheets.
     Brother, she went into action, saved lives, overcoming first, a fear of hospitals and doctors, who might administer the black serum of death. Religion, too, she sold, one teacher even going to a fishing pool to teach boys who had cut class on a pretty fishing day.
     But, all that is over the hill. Nowadays, there are mothers and dads clubs, birth-control and prenatal clinics, visiting nurses and physicians, athletics, Scouts, a nursery from which go good-mannered pupils who study hard. Health is up, crime is down and West Dallas is ambitious--ambitious to have the little things others take for granted--water, drainage, sewerage.
     All of which makes Mrs. Winston glow, this aristocrat with a sense of duty and love of man, though he live in a shanty. She knows and loves everybody in West Dallas, and as she goes about the unpaved streets, there are fond calls, "Hello, Mother Winston," cheery waves. A woman stops her, "Remember when you got me that job?" A one-eyed man says, "Remember when you got me this glass eye?" And a great big young chap comes up, puts his arm around her and asks fondly, "Remember, Mamma Winston, when you took us out of the cold and gave us cocoa and cookies?"
     Does she? She has a treasure of memories of a fight for the underdog, which will end to her satisfaction only when the City of Dallas annexes the area and provides normal conveniences "to these wonderful people, the sweetest, nicest people, people that others still pick on."

- July 28, 1946, Dallas Morning News, Section V, p. 4.
- o o o -