Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
To Dallas County Archives main page
(Updated June 4, 2004)

 
1877
The Rockwall Road.

     This matter has been under discussion for a long time, and it is plain to be seen that it is a matter of great importance to this city especially. The case, as it stands now, is that many of the people of Rockwall and Hunt counties, who would, if allowed half a chance, come to Dallas, are at present, forced to go to Terrell. The reason of this is obvious. The people of Rockwall and some of the merchants of Dallas bought and paid for a free iron bridge, which has been placed over the East Fork of the Trinity. The citizens of Rockwall then went to work and constructed a fine road, not only to the bridge, but beyond it to the county line. All that was left to be done, then, was for the citizens of Dallas county to meet them with a good road at the county line. This has been neglected greatly to the detriment of our merchants here, who are all anxious to obtain the trade from that county, but are debarred, as the county commissioners have, so far, failed to have the road opened to the bridge. The consequence is that the farmers of that section are obliged to make a detour of eight or nine miles to get to Dallas; in preference to doing this, they go to Terrell and buy their goods. The trade of Dallas suffers thereby. Our reporter visited some of the county officials yesterday, and learned from them, that at the last session of the commissioner's court, two overseers had been appointed to see that the road to the Rockwall bridge be opened. They may be at work now; we sincerely hope they are. Our people, however, should not rest until they are satisfied that the road will be opened at once, and urge the matter upon the commissioners until the matter is attended to. Dallas should not let an opportunity to obtain the trade of these counties slip through culpable negligence.

- July 7, 1877, Dallas Weekly Herald, p. 2[?], col. 3.
- o o o -

1889
COMMISSIONER'S COURT.

_______

Working on Public Roads--Move to
Macadamize Kent's Road Bridge.

     The county commissioners' court in regular session to-day, with Commissioner Enoch Strait presiding, acted on petitions changing and opening roads as follows:
     J. R. Caldwell and others for a change in the Mesquite and Long creek road. Granted.
     John Chenault and others, for a second class road, beginning at the intersection of the Dallas and Greenville road with the northeast line of the Jno. Hyde survey and terminating at the town of Reinhardt. Ed Walton, John Foss, John Daniels and John Hart were appointed a jury of review.
     Reports of juries of review were adopted, opening roads as follows:
Bennett's schoolhouse and Bivens' Prairie road.
     Dallas and Dunnville [Duncanville?], second-class road.
     The report of the jury making a change in the Dallas and Grange Hall road was recommitted for repairs.
     The report on the C. D. White, third-class road, was adopted.
     A petition has been filed asking that the road running southeasterly from Dallas, and known as the Kent's bridge road, be widened, graded and graveled. Dallas subscribers contribute to the fund for this improvement as follows:

H. C. Clark, $360 cash and $350 in gravel;
Simpson & Huffman, $107;
John W. Taylor, $100;
H. Harris, $500;
O. P. Bowser (provisional), $250;
J. W. Barton (provisional), $40.
Other amounts have been subscribed as follows:
E. C. Pemberton, $500;
E. B. Spillman, $100;
John Hicks, $100;
J. T. Conner, $100;
M. A. Umphress, $50;
R. Bruton, $25;
C. J. Markham, $25;
S. D. Scott, $25;
J. E. Gill, $25;
Harry Boswell, $25;
T. W. Harrington, $25;
J. N. Bethurum, $25;
M. Mansson, $25;
J. W. Bethurum, $25;
A. P. Victor, $25;
W. A. Watson, $25;
Preston L. Markham, $20;
J. R. Midgings, $10;
S. H. Pruitt, $10;
J. H. Boothe, $10;
B. F. Elam, $10;
A. M. Russell, $10;
J. Davidson, $10;
D. Onestrilli, $10;
M. M. Farmer, $10;
J. P. Potter, $10;
J. A. Cullom, $10;
Johnny Johnson, $10;
Jeff Bruton, $5;
J. D. Miller, $5;
W. C. Elam, $5;
Thos. F. Collier, $5;
P. L. Steuzlin, $5;
M. T. Conner, $5;
Levi Horton, $5;
W. H. Cundiff, $5;
J. F. Bailey, $5;
H. H. Bennett, $5;
W. M. Humphreys, $5;
T. D. Cokey, $5;
J. A. Douckey, $5;
T. J. Moody, $5;
J. F. Harris, $5;
G. T. Pruitt, $5;
R. C. Elam, $5;
Sam Sullivan, $5;
Joshua Jackson, $5;
O. P. Dove, $5;
E. E. Gorset, $5;
J. J. Dawdy, $5;
W. S. Freeman, $5;
T. Cellenfels, $5;
F. Ebert, $5;
R. P. Hull, $5;
E. C. Sweet, $5;
J. N. Robinson, $5;
John Rosswat, $5;
E. Weber, $5;
M. C. Glenis, $5;
A. J. Sullivan, $5;
J. H. Sullivan, $5;
J. L. Fly, $5;
D. L. Bolland, $5;
E. C. Joyce, $5;
M. E. Joyce, $5;
C. C. Hawthorn, $5;
T. A. Andrews, $5;
J. A. Crawford, $5;
A. Rockhold, $5;
E. C. Joyce, Sr., $5;
D. C. Landis, $5.
W. T. Moore, $2.50;
H. B. Cox, $2.50;
J. W. Gross, $2.50;
J. A. Campbell, $2.50;
H. H. Smith, $2.50.
Total, $3184,50.
     Farmers in other sections of the county might adopt this plan and reap a good profit from their investment.

- November 11, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 2.
- o o o -

COMMISSIONERS COURT.
______

Beef Six Cents and Flour Two Dol-
lars Per Hundred.

     Yesterday afternoon, the county commissioners resumed proceedings as follows:
     The report of the jury opening the Fain and Harris road was adopted. Mason P. Hays, who claimed damages which were not assessed by the jury, gave notice of appeal.
     The report of the jury on the second class road to be known as the Duncan and Wheatland road, was rejected on account of an irregularity in the way it was made out. Damages were claimed as follows: A. E. McGahey, $50; R. A. Simpson, $70; J. Bell, $150; B. H. Benton, $200; H. R. Daniels, $150.
     The petition of J. D. Stratton and others for a change in the Dallas & McKinney road about the town of Richardson was granted.
     The petition of J. W. Broadhurst and others for a change in the Letot and Carrollton road was referred to a jury of review composed of W. G. Bryan, J. D. Marsh, J. E. Beecharman, G. L. Ford and M. Johnson.

- November 12, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 3.
- o o o -

1890
CENTRAL AVENUE

________

Property Owners Meet and
Consider an Important Pro-
posed Improvement.

     Superintendent Quinlan, of the Houston & Texas Central railway, met a number of property owners abutting the road north of the union depot in the mayor's office this morning. The object of the meeting was to consider a proposition looking to a great improvement through that end of the city by opening a new paved and graded thoroughfare from the union depot to the city's northern limits. He, Quinlan, said his company asked nothing from the city or property owners. Their proposition, plainly stated, was to grade their right of way to conform to the intersecting street grades, lay a double track and macadamize between the rails of the double track, if the abutting property owners would give sufficient ground on each side of the road to make a street eighty feet wide, pave twenty feet on each side and lay good sidewalks. The object of the railroad company, in making the proposition, he said, was simply to do away with the stream of travel continually pouring down the railroad track, which is a continued source of annoyance and litigation to the company, although open gaps and numerous sign boards have been resorted to as a preventative without result. With the thoroughfare opened, it would become one of the main arteries of travel in the city, extending north five or six miles; and, if the north end would take it up, he thought the south end would soon follow and extend the street from north to south across the city. It would convert a territory, now practically valueless, into first-class wholesale and retail property, second in value only to the property on Pacific avenue.
     Those present, saw at a glance, the benefits to accrue to their property through such improvements, and the property owners, at once, organized and created a committee composed of Alderman Wm. Harris, Alderman Bustrin and M. Spikes* to proceed with the work of getting the proposition clearly before the property owners.
     The committee issued a call for all of the property owners abutting the road north of the union depot to meet next Monday morning at 10 o'clock in the city hall auditorium to give further consideration to the matter.

- December 8, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 7.

*M. Spikes was Monroe Spikes, a black man, who, in 1893, owned a one-story frame grocery store at the corner of San Jacinto and the Central railroad crossing. The store was destroyed by fire on October 29, 1893. By 1898, Spikes was a well-known barber in Dallas; he and his family moved to Los Angeles, Calif., in August of that year.

Sources: October 30, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2;
August 14, 1898, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -

1892
A DAY IN THE COURTS.

______

THE GRAND JURY'S REPORT.

     To the grand jury of Dallas county: There is nothing which concerns the general interest and progress of all the people of the county more than good public highways. It is of the utmost importance that steps be taken by our commissioners court looking to the accomplishment of this great result. While we have nothing to criticize in the action of said court in its work heretofore, yet we think the effort should now be made to macadamize at least four of the principal thoroughfares of the county, one leading northwardly, one eastwardly, one southwardly and one westwardly.. Work should begin near the city and continue until the county line is reached. The work should be done under the supervision of an experienced and competent engineer. As citizens and taxpayers from different portions of the county, we respectfully urge upon the honorable commissioners' court the importance of beginning this work without delay. The people are more interested in these permanent improvements than anything else that could possibly engage their officials' attention. We leave all the details consequent upon the inauguration of this work with said court, but merely suggest that in our opinion experienced and competent supervision should be obtained.
     To Hon. R. E. Burke, Fourteenth judicial district:
     The above communication having been referred to the grand jury for its consideration, we beg to report that we do hereby earnestly approve the same and recommend that the work on our public roads be made as suggested with as little delay as possible. The necessities for good roads for the accommodation and benefit of the surrounding agricultural community, as well as our city trade, demands their construction as soon as the work can be done. J. F. W
ARREN, Foreman.

- November 15, 1892, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-4.
- o o o -

1894
Added January 20, 2004:
A THREE-MILE DRIVE.
_____

Building of a Suburban Boulevard on the
North Side.

     County Commissioner Tom Fisher, who is just up from an attack of rheumatism, says he has the county forces and wagons at work grading the extension of Maple avenue, which, when completed to a point two miles beyond the new hospital, will, in connection with the Oak Lawn and Lemmon avenue roads, which intersect it, give a three-mile drive, that can not be excelled anywhere. He says the public are ignorant of the great improvements the county roads in the vicinity of Dallas have undergone lately.

- June 7, 1894, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 4.
- o o o -

1895
Added March 26, 2004:
NOTICE -- BRIDGE BUILDERS.

     Competitive bids will be received by the Commissioners' Court of Dallas county up to 12 o'clock p. mm, February 2, 1895, for building a bent bridge over Ten-mile creek on the Dallas and Cedar Hill road south of Duncanville, 100 feet long, 16 feet wide, piling to be of cedar, 10 inches in diameter at small end; all material and work to be first-class; each bidder to furnish plan and specifications of the bridge he proposes to build. bond in double amount of bid required and county having right to reject any and all bids.
                                                    T. F. N
ASH,
                                                    County Judge.

- January 26, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 3.
- o o o -

Added March 27, 2004:
GOOD ROADS.
_______

Dallas County to Have More and Bet-
ter Highways and Bridges.

     Last Saturday, the Commissioners' Court let to J. C. Ward, the contract to build a bridge across White Rock creek on the Dallas and Greenville road. The contractor is to receive the timbers of the old bridge and $210 in money for the work.
     Next Saturday, the Commissioners will let the contract for a bridge over Ten Mile. This will be a 100-foot bent bridge, whereas, the White Rock bridge is to be a span.

- January 29, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
- o o o -

Added April 11, 2004:
THE OTHER SIDE OF
THE ROAD QUESTION.

______

Commissioner Barcus Reviews the Sit-
uation and Mr. Huffman's Ideas.

To the Times-Herald:
     I have noticed for several days, a discussion of one side of what is called the road question going on through the T
IMES-HERALD, and have been an interested, though a silent reader, of the same. It has seemed strange to me that not one of the County Commissioners has been interviewed or asked to write a line on this matter, which comes directly in the line of their duty as officers of the county, elected by the people to see that justice and equity is accorded to all parts of the county.
     In reviewing this matter, I could, perhaps, get it best before the minds of the people by answering the article of Mr. Huffman in the T
IMES-HERALD of the 7th inst. The "great mistake" of the Twenty-first Legislature he refers to, I suppose, is this provision: "The Commissioners Court shall see that the road and bridge fund of their county is judiciously and equitably expended on the roads and bridges of the county, and, as nearly as the condition and necessity of the roads will permit, it shall be expended in each County Commissioner's precinct, in proportion to the amount collected in such precinct; and in expending money in building permanent roads, the money shall first be used on first or second-class roads, and on those which shall have the right-of-way, furnished free of cost, to make as straight a road as is practicable to obtain, and having the greatest bonus offered by the citizens of money, labor or other property." Acts 1889, page 135, section 6.
     It seems to me that the Legislature, in making the exception clause, which leaves the expenditure of the funds, to a certain extent, with the judgment of the Commissioners' Court, foresaw just such a contingency as has arisen in this county, and made a wise provision to insure the best interests of all concerned.
     Mr. Huffman says that district No. 1 has thirteen air line roads penetrating the city of Dallas. Now, I would respectfully ask him to name the thirteen roads, rather than deal in glittering generalities. As a County Commissioner, and also a business man of the city of Dallas, I will try to deal farily with this question. What are the facts in the case?
     To begin, there is not an air line road, for any considerable distance, in Dallas county. The first district, outside of the city, pays no more than any other of the three districts in the county. It needs less work on its roads and bridges than any one of the other districts, as its general surface will show, to any one who will take the trouble to examine it. It has had more work than any of the other districts. Let us make a comparison between it and the fourth district. The first has but one stream within its borders that rises to the dignity of a creek, and for more than half its distance, and that at the lower half, forms the boundary of the second and is kept in order by the first and second, conjointly. The fourth has Five-Mile, Mountain, Bear, Cottonwood, Hackberry and Denton, all creeks of large proportions, besides several smaller ones, and the West Fork of Trinity river, on which the city of Fort Worth is depending for water transportation in the future.
     The first has, all told, about three miles of river bottom road; the fourth has twenty-eight.
     The city of Dallas, which pays the heavy tax that is claimed for the first district, is situated almost at the extreme south end of the district and immediately contiguous to the fourth, and within three miles of the second. The first has not one foot of road leading west or southwest from the city of Dallas, while the fourth has two great arteries, which, every day in the year, pour their living stream into the city. One half of the men living in Oak Cliff and West Dallas are business men or workmen in the city and help to make her wealth, and many of them are heavy tax-payers to both city and county; still, Mr. Huffman would allow them no benefits in return.
     Can Dallas afford to take the outlying sections of Dallas county by the throat and strangle the life out of their public road system, while Tarrant county is running her good roads to the line, and Fort Worth, Grapevine, Waxahachie, Forney and Rockwall are smiling upon them and holding their arms wide open to receive their trade? As a business man, I would answer, No! W. F. B
ARCUS.
Commissioner, District No. 4.

- March 11, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 4-5.
- o o o -

FOUR ROADS
AND NO MORE.

_______

SHARP CONTEST OF FARMERS.
_______

They Are Putting Up Bonuses and Employ-
ing Lawyers to Help Them Get the
Improvements in Their Re-
spective Routes.

     The new road law, which provides for the improvement by convict labor of four roads, beginning at the city limits and extending to the county lines in the direction of the four points of the compass, has created quite a stir among the farmers on the various roads. There are three roads running to the north, namely the Denton, the McKinney and the Preston roads. The owners of the farms on these respective roads have prepared big petitions to the Commissioners' Court and are ready to back the same by liberal donations. Some of them have employed lawyers to look after their interests, and are otherwise showing that they mean business.
     There is the same sharp competition between the farms on the Lancaster and on the Beckley roads to the south. While on the east, the property owners on the Greenville road are pulling against those on the Rockwall road. On the west, the Eagle Ford road has been piked for a distance of nine miles.
     Heretofore, the convicts of the county have been distributed into four squads on the county roads, and then worked to very poor advantage.
     Mr. A. E. Firmin gives the following interpretation of the road law:
     "The costs of running three camps, as now conducted, amounts to about $16,300 per annum. To reduce this cost, is one of the objects of the law. The law provides for one camp at a time, which will reduce the expenses to about two-thirds of what it costs to maintain three camps, as one camp will require fewer guards, cooks, overseers, etc., besides getting better results by concentrating the whole force under one competent overseer, whom the Commissioners will be able, by the reduction in expenses, to employ.
     "The second object of the law is to take up the defective roads and practically convert them into military roads from the city to the county line, in the following order, north, south, east and west, and in this order, because the road to the north is needed more than any of the other; to the south next, and then to the east, and finally to the west, because it is already macadamized for a distance of nine miles. In determining the claims of competing routes in any direction, the Commissioners are, of course, to look to the population, the donations offered and the utilization of the convict labor to the best advantage.
     "The Preston road seems to be the proper route to the north, for the following reasons: First, because it lies midway between two railroads, and traverses a wide blackwaxy section, from which the farms have no outlet; whereas, the competing routes, the Denton and McKinney roads, run near and parallel to the railroads, which afford the property owners on them ample transportation. Second, the Preston road strikes the county line at a point where the road forks, one of the prongs leading into the southwest corner of Collin and the other into the northeast corner of Denton county, and thus making tributary to Dallas, a fertile section of country in Dallas, the two other counties, embracing the flourishing towns of Lebanon, Frankfort and two or three others, whose names have escaped me, the trade of which, now goes to Fort Worth or McKinney.
     "The Preston road, for the reasons stated, is the first road to be repaired, and after this, the road to the south, and it does not make so much difference whether the Lancaster, or the Beckley road, is selected. The donations of the farmers should determine the choice.
     "And, according to the law, the road to the east must be attended to before the road to the west."

- May 30, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
- o o o -

McKINNEY ROAD
IN THE RACE.

_____

Rousing Meeting at Richardson in
the Interest of that Route.

     The property owners and merchants interested in having the McKinney road selected by the County Commissioners Court as the official road from the city limits to the county line on the north, held a meeting in Richardson Saturday night, and appointed a committee of four to appear before the Commissioners Court and present the claims of that route.
     The committee is composed of Frank Bowser, B. Stratton, J. L. Floyd and Buck Malone. The committee came to the city to-day under the erroneous impression that the Commissioners' Court would be in session.
     The committee was authorized to say to the Commissioners that the people of Richardson and farmers on the McKinney road are ready to make straight, the very crooked road, and will furnish all the timber and other material needed in improving the road, and besides, make a good money bonus.
     The rivals of the McKinney road are the Denton and Preston roads, and the competition is very sharp. This competition will be the means not only of getting four straight roads from the city to the county lines in the direction of the four cardinal points of the compass, but also of very materially augmenting the road fund by the bonuses the rival roads will put up.

- June 3, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

SELECTING A ROAD
TO THE EAST.

_____

The Mesquite and Barnes Bridge Roads
are Competing.

     The County Commissioners will, to-morrow, examine the Mesquite and Barnes' Bridge roads, from the city to the county line on the east, in order to be thoroughly posted when they go to select which road they will improve as the official road to the east.
     The Greenville road, which is a candidate for the improvements, has the drawback of being a little too high towards the north, and for this reason, will perhaps not be considered by the Commissioners.
     The farmers and property owners on the Mesquite and Barnes' Bridge roads are [not?] in quite as sharp competition as are the farmers on the roads to the north and south, and other things being equal, the Commissioners will, in all cases, decide in favor of the road offering the greatest inducements.

- June 5, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1.
- o o o -

WILL NAME
THE FOUR ROADS
.
______

County Commissioners as a Board of
Equalization.

     The County Commissioners met to-day as a board of equalization.
     Before adjourning for the June term, the Commissioners will designate the four roads they have selected to be improved by convict labor.

_____

     Mayor Davis, of Plano, and Mr. Gaines, a member of the Collin County Commissioners' Court, will be given an audience by the Commissioners' Court this afternoon. The visitors represent the people of Plano and the contiguous section of Collin county, who are anxious to have the McKinney road selected for the official road to the north, which will give an almost straight route between Dallas and Plano, whereas, the selection of either the Preston or the Denton road will leave Plano away to the east, as the McKinney road would soon fall into bad repair.
     Mayor Davis and Mr. Gaines are here to ascertain if a bonus on the part of the people in their section of Collin would be considered by the Commissioners. The selection of the McKinney road would be greatly to the advantage of Plano, and the people of that thriving city are willing to assist in making a good road of it.
     There are also delegations from the Preston and Denton roads here this afternoon, and the commissioner will give them a hearing, either this afternoon, or to-morrow.

- June 10, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 3.
- o o o -

Added June 4, 2004:
SATURDAY'S FLOODS
MOVED BRIDGES.

______

All the Structures Gone on Some Dal-
las County Streams.

     County Commissioner Smith, of District No. 1, which embraces the northeastern part of the county, says that the rains of Friday night and Saturday morning, so flooded the streams, that all the bridges in the district, except the heavy iron ones, were swept away. The streams traversing District No. 1, are Turtle creek, Lively branch, White Rock, Farmers' branch and Spring creek.
     Commissioner Smith says it will take fully $4000 to replace the missing brides, and thus absorb nearly all the road fund for that district.
     Commissioner Halsell, of District No. 2, has not been to town since the rain, but it is safe to say that the floods did considerable damage in his district, also, as there are many water courses running through it.
     In No. 4, Commissioner Barkus says the bridge over Five-mile creek, on the Beckley road, was carried away, but he has heard of no other damage.
     The Third District has not been officially heard from.

- June 17, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

FOUR GOOD ROADS
TO THE COUNTRY.

_______

Facts About Dallas County's
New Highways.

_______

Towns That are Located Along Them,
Convict Labor to Build Them.
Four More to be Built
by Contract.

     The TIMES HERALD, yesterday, announced the four roads the Commissioner's Court had selected to improve with convict labor. Commissioner Smith, speaking of the choice of the court, to-day said:
     "The road to the south is the Dallas and Lancaster road, via Oak Cliff. Lisbon and Lancaster are located on this road. The competing roads were the Beckley and the Hutchins. There are no towns on the Beckley road. Hutchins is on the road of that name, and Wilmer is a short distance from it. The people on the Lancaster and Dallas road give $1000 in money, the right of way where the road has to be straightened, and furnish all the rock and other materials.
     "The Barnes Bridge road, which leaves the city near the Fair Grounds, is the road selected to the east. This road runs about half way between Mesquite and New Hope, but has no town located on it. The people on this road put up their notes for $1100 as a bonus.
     "The Preston road is the thoroughfare to the north, and with Dallas as the hub, it makes a spoke between the McKinney road and the Denton road. Alpha, with three or four stores, is the only town on the Preston road, as against Richardson, on the McKinney, and Rawlins postoffice on the Denton road. The people on the Preston road made liberal donations.
     "There was no competition as to routes to the west, and the Fort Worth road, which touches at Grand Prairie, the only town on the route, was selected.
     "These roads are to be macadamized with rock and gravel by the labor of the county convict gang, [and] are to be maintained by the county road and bridge tax collected in the city of Dallas, the amount of which, for the current year, has not been announced, but which has, heretofore, reached nearly $50,000, I believe.
     "The excess of this fund, after maintaining the convict gang, will be used to improve four additional roads, located as nearly as practicable, midway between the four roads we have selected to be improved by convict labor. The four additional roads will be done by contract labor, and for that reason, they will, no doubt, be completed before the four convict labor roads are. So, after all, the selection of the four roads for convict labor will not work so much of a hardship on the people on the defeated roads, as would, at first, appear. The Commissioners will select the four additional roads in the same manner they selected the first four; that is, on a basis of direction and donation. This will give Dallas eight spokes in her hub, and put everybody in the county in reach of a good road to Dallas, and even attract, by smooth roads, much trade from adjoining counties.
     "The work of improving the four roads we have selected will begin as soon as the convict camps can be removed."

- July 10, 1895, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 5.
- o o o -

1903
THOUSANDS
IN DALLAS.

______

The Number of Vehicles Ex-
cites Comment.

______

Some Reasons Why They are So
Numerous. Eight Thous-
and of All Kinds
are Here.

     A source of remark to every visitor to Dallas, and as well to every Dallasite who goes away to some other Texas town and returns, is the noticeably large number of vehicles always in evidence in this city. Dallas leads all other Texas cities by long odds in the number of its conveyances, both private and public; and, not only are the vehicles in Dallas so numerous as to excite general comment, but their variety is as great as is manufacture in this line. They range from the aristocratic automobile, on down to the humble dray, of which the New England poet has said, somewhat in effect, "that they are built to last one hundred years and a day."
     It is not, perhaps, an unjustified estimate to say that 65 per cent of the residence owners of Dallas either own their own horse and buggy or carriage or wagon, or own one jointly with some one. It ought to be, therefore, a conservative estimate to place the number of vehicles owned by private individuals in both Dallas and Oak Cliff, added to the number in the public stables, at approximately 8000; and this is based on an estimate that in Dallas, and in her suburbs, there are about 14,000 families.
     The vast majority of these vehicles are, of course, buggies and carriages, many famiies owning both a buggy and a carriage, and here and there may be found some that own more than two.
     Every one has observed the endless procession of buggies, carriages, express wagons, carts, etc., on the main down-town streets of week days. On Sundays, one only has to sit on some favored shady porch that fronts Haskell avenue, one of the most popular driveways of the city, on a cool fall or winter afternoon, or upon some other favored drive, and note the endless procession on four wheels that rolls past. On Grand avenue and Ervay street, part of that same procession is winding along. Of course, the driving is not confined to these thoroughfares by any means, but they are the main streets that drivers take who want to make the "long circle drive" around the city.
     Again, one only has to go out on some one of the several fine macadamized roads that radiate like long yellow tentacles into the country to find scores more of Dallasites out driving upon them and drinking in the breezes from field and wood. It seems, indeed, that Dallas is a veritable red ant bed, so to speak, of buggies and carriages, which pour forth on pleasant days when overhead the sky is blue and the air is crisp.
     There are several explanations of why Dallas has such a multiplied number of conveyances. Dallas is a city whose population is largely residence owners. They have come to Dallas to stay; they have cast their lots here and become a permanent part of the city. They like the city and they know of none better anywhere. They have engaged in business here, or have position with different firms, and they have built their homes here. The population of Dallas is not a transient one. And, one of the most useful and pleasure-giving things that one can have about one's home, is a good horse and equipage large enough for the family needs. One may then go when it pleases, to where it pleases, and stay as long as it pleases. This is a comfort only possible at all times to the owner of a buggy, carriage, or other conveyance. The street cars do not run to every point in the city, and to no pint in the country, excepting along one narrow line. Another consideration is that the average Dallas family is a large one, for the "race suicide" doctrine has no known examples here, and street car fare as a salary eater outclasses the boll weevil at his specialty.
     One man, who has a family of five, figured it up that he could save enough from just the Sunday car fares for his family to buy a carriage for them, and save money on the investment.
     When a family wants to take an airing and has no means of doing it other than by street car, the airing, in addition to being expensive, is also briefer than one would like. Away the car whisks, and within thirty or forty minutes, on an average, back you are at the starting place before you have read all the signs in the car even, nor has there been time for more than two good breaths of air all told. When a family goes out for an airing, they want to take their time about it, or it's not worth while. But, you can hook up "old John" to the surrey and he will take you all round the circuit, and there is no danger of the "power giving out." You have your right-of-way wherever you may choose to go, and you don't suddenly swing around a sharp curve that almost jerks a rib out.
     Not a few of the buggies that we see in Dallas nowadays were bought by irate gentlemen who used to go down town---or start towards town--in the days of balky streets cars here, a day not so distant, but that some of our oldest inhabitants may yet be able to recall them.
     The State Fair, held here annually, has also had a great deal to do with increasing the desire of every Dallas family to own a nice horse and buggy or surrey. First, the splendid exhibits of vehicles inbred the desire for one of them, and then many of them were sold at very close figures, rather than removed them. Then, the exhibits of fine horses, roadsters, on the track or at the stables, had its share in making Dallas people want to own an equipage.
     Then, it is said, too, that it is the ambition of nearly every young man in town to own a "red-wheeled runabout," for moonlight nights are numerous about Dallas, picnics in the spring are plentiful, and camp meetings happen when there is nothing else going on.

- September 13, 1903, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 17, col. 1-4.
- o o o -

1904
CITIZENS TO
PAVE STREET

_______

Annex Avenue Will be Incorporated
Into a Taxing District.

______

ACTION WAS PROMPT
_______

Property Owners Went About Matter
in Business-Like Manner Last Night.
Committee Was Appointed.

     The little chapel at the corner of Annex avenue and Bryan street was the scene of a lamp-light meeting last night that resulted in the determination to pave Annex avenue and improve adjacent streets. The material to be used will be Jacksboro stone, or something equally as good, if not better. There were about thirty property owners present, and those who were unable to attend were represented by proxy. One particularly pleasing feature of the meeting was the fact that immediate action was determined upon and the matter will not be resoluted and referred, as is the usual case in such affairs where there is no executive head.
     Organization was effected soon after assembling and R. E. L. Saner was elected chairman of the meeting and C. D. Fine was made secretary. Appropriate committees were appointed to visit all property owners and obtain their consent to the formation of a taxing district, to select and decide upon the materials and specifications, and, in a general way, act in the capacity of an advisory board and direct the work of construction. This completed the regular business and the meeting was adjourned to meet at the same time and place on Monday, September 5.
     Addresses were made by Mayor Barry, Alderman Ardrey, J. A. Pondrom, of the city finance committee; C. H. Read, of the ordinance committee, and others.
     A very brief epitome of Mayor Barry's remarks follows:
     "A bond issue for this work is not advisable, and is, moreover, entirely out of the question, for the reason that the limit in this respect has already been exceeded. The tax in the special district is limited to $2.50 on the $1000, including all regular taxes for city purposes. A conservative estimate of the cost of paving with stone would be about $3 a running foot, or, a [sic] $1.50 for the property owners on each side of the street, amounting to about 30 cents per foot a year, for a period of five years.
     "Unfortunately, the city is totally unable to lend you any material aid in this undertaking at the present time, as to keep the streets even in fair condition in the residence district, is costing more than $30,000 a year. This amount, if the streets were paved, might be expended in other advantageous ways, that would greatly improve conditions and enhance the beauty and attractiveness of the city."
     Alderman J. Howard Ardrey was called on and said that, although the city was not financially able to help the enterprise along in the desired way, still, he would pledge that the city would, and could, take care of all streets that have been paved by the citizens, and pledged his support of any undertaking to that end.
     Alderman J. A. Pondrom spoke of the success of the taxing district plan, and of the success that had attended its use. He referred more particularly to St. Louis, where, he said, he had been reared and was familiar with the condition that had existed there and could, therefore, appreciate the results which had accrued from the free use of the paving district plan.
     The other speakers talked along the same line and there was much interest and enthusiasm manifested. A petition was read from the residents of Munger avenue and that district will also be added to the taxing district.
     It was decided to notify all property owners, that all franchises which will require street excavations, must be attended to before the paving is commenced.
     The following committees were appointed: To see property owners---A. S. Jackson to west side and W. B. Luna to east side of Annex, from Ross to Bryan; F. E. Stanberry from Bryan to Live Oak; W. H. Dana, from Live Oak to Swiss; C. H. Alexander, from Ross to Harry, and F. E. Shoup on Munger, throughout.
     Committee on specifications: R. E. L. Saner, A. E. Jackson, E. S. Lauderdale, J. N. Griswold, W. H. Dana and C. H. Alexander were appointed. These property owners will meet today at 5 o'clock in Mr. Alexander's office in the North Texas building, and will report next Monday night to another meeting of the residents of the street.
     The Live Oak street property owners who are interested in the movement to improve that thoroughfare, have decided to postpone the meeting which was to have been held Thursday evening, owing to the fact that the committees are not ready to report.

- August 30, 1904, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 1.
- o o o -

1911
FINAL PLANS
FOR VIADUCT

_______

STRUCTURE WILL BE COMPLETED
BY FIRST OF NEW YEAR -- CON-
CRETE WORK IS DONE.

_______

TO COST $650,000
_______

ORIGINAL COST WAS $60O,000 -- ADD-
ED FEATURES CAUSE SOME
EXPENSE.

________

LONGEST IN THE WORLD
_______

Structure Will be 5,840 Feet Long and
33 Feet Wide -- Lighting Will Be
Brilliant -- To Have
Celebration.

     Before many weeks have passed, the longest viaduct in the world will have been completed and opened for traffic. This will be the Dallas-Oak Cliff viaduct, and the present indications are that the structure will be opened for traffic by the first of 1912.
     The viaduct, as it will be when completed, will be 4780 feet long, that is, the span portions of the structure. With the length, including the approaches on the North and South ends, it will be 5840 feet. The width between the hand rails is fifty-three feet, or three feet more than was called for in the original contract. The cost to complete the viaduct will be approximately $650,000.

Was Begun in October, 1910.
     The magnificent structure was begun in October of 1910. All of the concrete, except for that for the concrete railings and minor work on the river spans, has been completed, and now the finishing touches are being put on. The concrete work was completed last week when the last arch was poured.
     The contract for the roadway was let to Corrigan, Lee & Halpin, while the design was drawn by Hedrick & Cochrane of Kansas City. Under the contract, the structure was to have been completed by January 2, 1912, and unless something happens to greatly retard the work, the structure will be completed within the time limit fixed in the original contract.

Being Built by Dallas County.
     The structure is being built by the people of Dallas county. A special bond election was held, at which time $600,000 was voted for the erection of the viaduct. This was the original price, but the last estimate on the structure was practically $650,000.
     This increased cost comes from the fact that the commissioners' court ordered some changes in the manner of the work. These changes come in the widening of the structure three feet, and some work on the floor, which is intended to make the structure more durable for the heavy traffic, which will, of a necessity, come in coming years.

Why Cost Is Increased.
     The commissioners' court, presided over by Judge John L. Young, has taken a very active part in the erection of the structure, and they have noted, with pride, the building of the magnificent passageway. Last week, the commissioners made a personal inspection of the structure and are highly pleased with the manner of erection, the material used, and the progress of the work.
     The commissioners have also guarded, very closely, any increased expense attached to the building of the bridgeway, and the additional $50,000, it is thought, will put the structure ready for public travel. For this amount, in part, the commissioners have transferred $30,000 from the bridge fund to the Oak Cliff viaduct fund. This, according to the order, is to be placed by February of next year.

To Have Great Celebration.
     While the county commissioners are yet undecided as to what kind of a celebration there will be on the day the structure is declared open for travel, it is likely that something unusual will take place. For, the fact that no exact date has yet been fixed for the opening, has caused these plans to be postponed, for a while, at least. It is proposed by two of the commissioners to have as many vehicles as possible parade across the viaduct, turning at the Lancaster avenue entrance on the return trip, merely to see how many vehicles can occupy the viaduct at one time. For the opening, the commissioners have received several petitions from certain organizations in the city to serve lunches near the entrance on the Dallas side, and from every indication, the opening will be attended by unusual ceremonies. Several addresses are to be delivered.

To Be Brilliantly Lighted.
     The closing part of the work will be brought out in the next few weeks. The process of lighting of the structure will be finished several days before the opening, when the lights will be turned on and tested. These lights will be placed every few feet and are to be similar to those used at the present time in lighting Elm street. At each end, the lights are to be of double the power of the lights to be placed in the center.
     Later, it is said, that Houston street, the approach from the court house, is to be paved, and that street to be brilliantly illuminated from the intersection of Elm street. This assures a more impressive passage from the city proper to the approach, than is had at the present time.

November 5, 1911, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. I, p. 6, col. 1-2.
- o o o -

1917
First Completed Section of New
Concrete County Road System

(click on image for enlarged view)

     Half a million dollars' worth of concrete road is being constructed on the cardinal approaches to Dallas under the provisions of a recent $500,000 bond issue. Several contracts for road work have already been let, and some of the roads are practically completed. Automobilists are enthusiastic over the betterment. The picture shows a section of the West Dallas Pike, leading towards the new Commerce street bridge, across the Trinity. This is the first section of the new county paving to be completed, and it is a unit of the proposed county good road system. The concrete work is vibrolithic, the same type of paving as used on many Dallas residence and business streets.

- October 14, 1917, Dallas Daily Times Herald,
8th Annual Auto Supplement., p. 1, col. 3-5.
- o o o -

COMPARATIVELY SMALL AMOUNT
OF ROAD WORK DURING PAST YEAR

     The past year has been an unusually quiet one in road building, with the exception of a few instances. The principal work that has been done in this connection was the completion of the Commerce street viaduct, at a cost of $175,000, and the building of two miles of concrete road on the West Dallas pike, at a cost of more than $25,000. This work has not yet been completed. Great plans for future road work are being made by the county commissioners.
     Aside from the work in West Dallas, there has been less than $100,000 expended for new roads and in the completion of old ones. The commissioners have done much, however, toward improving the graveled roads of the county, and now the county of Dallas has one of the best gravel macadam system of highways in the state. An era of permanent road building is now being mapped out by the court. It will be several months, however, before this work will be well under way.

Where Work Was Done.
     The principal work done during the past year in the respective sections of the county is shown below.
     In Commissioner Burton's district: Seagoville road and East pike resurfaced, graveled and rolled. The East pike has also been resurfaced and scarified to the Grove Hill cemetery, making this one of the best roads in the county. Connecting roads have also been graveled and rolled.
     In Commissioner Patrick's district: The Ferris and Wilmer road graded and graveled to Gravel Slough; gravel macadam road built over Forest Avenue Heights road. New road built, connecting Miller's Ferry road with old Lisbon-Hutchins road. Plans are now under way for building good road from Forest avenue road to Lancaster pike.
     In Commissioner Ledbetter's district: West Dallas permanent road, two miles long and work still under way; three miles Beckley road resurfaced; four miles Irving road resurfaced; four miles Fort Worth pike resurfaced. Nine miles of new road, principally in the Irving community, have been built.
     In Commissioner Miller's district: Several short roads have been opened in the extreme northern part of the county. Preston road has been resurfaced and Richardson pike rebuilt in places. This is one of the best highways in this section of the state. Connecting roads between Preston and Richardson pikes re-graveled.
     In the four districts, plans are now under way for the immediate expenditure of nearly $100,000. Of this amount, $40,000 has been received from the State Highway Commission as state and federal aid. This fund is to be spent on the following designated state highways: Richardson road, Greenville road, East pike, Fort Worth pike, Miller's Ferry road and the Lancaster pike. As far as possible, permanent highways are to be built to conform with the plans of the State Highway Commission.

Serving Two Purposes.
     These good roads in Dallas county are serving two purposes: First, they make hauling light for the farmers of the county, and second, they afford pleasant drives for the autoists.
     Travel during the past year, according to the estimates made by members of the commissioners' court has more than doubled. This has placed before the road builders, another great problem, that of abating the dust nuisance. Permanent roads, it is believed, will solve this problem. However, it will be many years before the county will be covered with these permanent roads. At this time, the county hasn't the funds with which to build these roads. It is very likely no road bond issues will be submitted until the war is over. However, unless the unforeseen occurs, another year will see the greatest development of the road system than any previous year.

- October 14, 1917, Dallas Daily Times Herald, 8th Annual Auto Supplement., p. 1, col. 6-7.
- o o o -



1919
THERE ARE TWO GOOD ROADS
TO FORT WORTH WHICH MAY BE
USED DURING PIKE BUILDING

_______

BY GEORGE W. FOSTER.

     There are two good roads between Dallas and Fort Worth which may be taken to avoid the pike now under re-construction in Dallas county that are but little longer in mileage than the pike. Also, there are two good roads which are considerably longer in mileage, but which can be used with perfect safety by heavy automobiles and trucks.

     The road to Grand Prairie which escapes the regular pike, can be taken by those desiring to go there as well as those wishing to go to Arlington and beyond, independent of the road workers. This latter is one of the good roads first mentioned above. The distance thereby, via Arlington, omitting Grand Prairie, is 38.5 miles from the court house, Dallas, to Commerce and Tenth streets, Fort Worth. This road leads out of Dallas by way of the Commerce street bridge. It follows West Dallas pike across the river bottom and the Eagle Ford road through and beyond the cement works to the Eagle Ford bridge. This bridge crosses the west fork of the Trinity River 6.8 miles from Dallas. At the west end of this bridge, take the road bearing off to the left and follow it about five miles to the point where it is crossed by the Grand Prairie-Sowers road. This point will be easily recognized by the fact that the lane going straight on is not graveled, nor in any way improved. This appearance is also to be remembered because there are two other roads leading to the right and left which are not to be taken. The good gravel road is to be followed from the Eagle Ford bridge to this point. To go to Grand Prairie from here, turn left; the distance is 3.6 miles; it is a little rough, but not bad.

     To Arlington, the distance from here is 12.7 miles. Take [the] road to the right. It goes north. Follow it about two miles, where it is crossed by another good surfaced highway; take this to the left and follow it straight ahead, regardless of crossroads, to where it apparently ends at another good road bearing right and left. This point will be recognized by a sign on the farm fence, "Belgium Rabbits." Go left. From here, the road is plain and unmistakable, but rather narrow through the bottom of the west fork, where tall weeds and brush hide the crooked road a few rods ahead. Go slow here. There are two or three rather weak bridges in this section that might not support heavy trucks or extra heavy touring cars of the high-powered class. These bridges should be inspected before being crossed by heavy cars and taken slowly by the lighter ones.

     There is another route through this section which crosses the west fork at another place. It is a deviation from the path we have been describing, but has not been followed by the writer. This will be done later.
     From Arlington, the wayfarer has the well-known tarvia highway, the pride of Tarrant County, at his pleasure to Fort Worth-distance 13.4 miles.
     The other good short road between Dallas and Fort Worth passes through Irving and Sowers. The distance from court house, Dallas, to Commerce and Third streets, Fort Worth, is 37.3. miles.

     The route and distances follow: Take the West Dallas pike from the Commerce street bridge across the river bottom and follow the Eagle Ford road to the west fork bridge-6.8 miles. Go straight ahead to and through Irving. The road isn't straight, but it is a plain, much-traveled highway, difficult to miss without a guide book. Go through the town of Irving from east to west, passing en route the ornamental structure at the center of the intersection of the two principal streets of the city. At the west end of this street, turn right, cross the Rock Island railroad and follow the highway for a distance from Irving of 2.7 miles, where turn left near a large white farm house, having three gables. Go straight through Sowers-13.9 miles from Dallas-and continue westward, though the good road be devious, to Buell-19.4 miles-recognized by a store and garage at the apparent end of your trail. Here, a road bears right and left. Go left exactly one mile. Pay attention. Turn right 20.4 miles. Keep as straight as the road travels, omitting crossroads, from here to a place from whence a station on a railroad is seen ahead and a brick schoolhouse is seen on the right. Turn right, pass the schoolhouse 26.6 miles. The plain, good road bears right beyond here a few rods and is to be followed to a tarvia highway-30.5 miles. This leads to Third and Commerce streets, Fort Worth, 37.3 miles.

     There are no fingerboards, corner marks, mile posts nor educational advertisements anywhere on either of these roadways, off the cardinal roads, in either county. They are good gravel roads, but narrow and crooked in places. At a point about two miles west of Sowers, there is a chug-hole that can not be avoided, it being a washed-out drain. Going west, it lies in wait at the bottom of a crooked hill. Coming east, it is about three miles east of Buell, a few rods east of an iron bridge, which crosses a wooded creek. Look out for it. There are always a few bad places in all good roads. These described are not to be excepted from the rule, but they are, either of them, infinitely better than the Fort Worth cardinal pike in Dallas county, as it now exists.

     The two roads of greater length referred to at the beginning hereof, are those via Cedar Hill on the south and Grapevine on the north, either of which exceeds in length those described by at least ten miles. Anyone desiring direction thereon can be advised by the writer or by the secretary of the Dallas Automobile Association.

- July 20, 1919, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 19.
- o o o -

1926
Dallasites to Ask Designation
of Northwest Highway

______

WILL PROVIDE
SHORTER ROAD
TO PANHANDLE

________

HIGHWAY COMMISSION'S AP-
PROVAL OF BIG PROJECT
TO BE SOUGHT

     Designation of the proposed Dallas Northwest highway, extending 50.3 miles from Dallas to Rhome, in Wise county, will be asked of the Texas state highway commission when delegations of representative men from Dallas and other towns along the proposed route meet with that body in Austin Wednesday or Thursday of this week, T. M. Cullum, former president of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, said Monday morning. The road, as proposed, would provide a short cut from Dallas to the Texas panhandle.
     John Boswell, head of the Southwest development service of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, returned Monday morning from a visit to towns along the route in behalf of the proposed highway.
     "I visited Grapevine, Decatur, Rhome, Bowie, Wichita Falls, Roanoke, Henrietta, Amarillo and a number of other towns," said Mr. Boswell. "Everywhere I found them most enthusiastic over the proposed road, and was told that delegations of representative men from each of them would go to Austin with us this week to ask its designation of the state highway commission."
     Mr. Cullum said he had received assurance from Grapevine and Roanoke that each of those communities would send twelve-men delegations to Austin.
     "I have wired Chairman Hal Mosely that we would like to appear before the commission, either Wednesday or Thursday of this week," he said, "and, I believe we will have strength enough and facts enough, to enable us to get the necessary designation of this road as a highway."
     The Dallas delegation will be composed of T. M. Cullum, Judge Joseph E. Cockrell, W. M. Carruth, County Commissioner J. W. Slaughter, John Boswell and several others, whose names will be given out later.
     The delegation from Grapevine, in Tarrant county, will be headed by D. E. Box, president of the Tarrant County National bank, who has been most active in arousing interest in the proposed highway.

$2,250,000 Project.
     Agitation for the proposed road was first begun among the cities and counties of Northwest Texas several years ago. Plans were drawn up and proposal submitted to the commission just preceding the present one, the old commission going out of office before any action was taken.
     County Commissioner J. W. Slaughter has led the fight in and around Dallas for the new road. Its construction will cost a total of $2,250,000, of which amount Dallas county probably will be called on for half.
     It has been pointed out that no difficulty in obtaining state and federal aid should be encountered in this project, since Dallas county pays into the above something like $1,000,000 yearly, only a small portion of which is expended within its boundaries.
     The proposed road will begin at state highway No. 1, just a few miles east of Dallas, and will pass to the north of the city, past White Rock reservoir and on to the northwest, where it will join with highway No. 2 at Rhome.
     It will have a 100-foot right of way, and its hard surface roadway will vary in width from twenty to forty feet.

To Follow Railroad Dump.
     It will follow along the abandoned dump of the Dallas, Pacific and Southeastern railway, thus saving many dollars in cost of grading. Right of way originally obtained for the railroad will be used by the new highway. The railroad was chartered in 1889 by W. H. Flippen, J. C. O'Connor, Alex Sanger, John N. Simpson and a number of other Dallas men. It was abandoned because of the building of the Fort Worth and Denver and other roads in the section it was intended to serve, and its charter was forfeited in 1898, because of nonpayment of franchise tax.
     The use of the abandoned road-bed enables the highway to be built so that none of its grades exceeds 1 per cent, and there are none of the sharp curves usually encountered on highways.

Valuable to City.
     In commenting on the proposed highway Monday, Mr. Boswell said, "This road can be looked on as one of the most important brought into Dallas. Not only will it bring travel from the Northwest, but it will enable that section to be tied to East Texas as well, since it connects here with all highways leading into the latter section.
     "When it was proposed several years ago to build an interurban to Wichita Falls, it was calculated that an increase of 25,000 would result in Dallas' population.
     "Mr. J. A. Kemp of Wichita Falls told me the other day that, in his opinion, this new highway would be of even greater benefit than the interurban would have been."
     Mr. Boswell said the new road would also do much to relieve congestion on the present Fort Worth-Dallas pike.

- April 12, 1926, Dallas Daily Times Herald,
Sec. I, p. 1, col. 1; continued on p. 2, col. 3-4.
- o o o -


1931
Important Highway Project for Northwest Texas to Be Promoted

(click on image for enlarged view)
Finishing details for the Northwest Highway, key to highway matters for Dallas, are expected to be authorized Monday by the State Highway Commission when a committee appears before the officials. This highway, with all its possibilities for transportation, is shown in the above map, reproduced from an official topographical survey prepared by county engineers.


North Texans
To Ask Road
Be Finished

______

Northwest Highway, Ad-
vocates to Campaign
in Austin.

     A campaign to complete paving of the Dallas Northwest Highway in 193[1] will be started in Austin Monday, when a North Texas delegation appears before the State Highway Commission, asking that finishing touches be made on the premier highway project for that section.
     County Judge F. H. Alexander will head the group from Dallas County, Grapevine, Wichita Falls and towns along the route, asking that contract be let for the paving from Grapevine to Rhome, a distance of twenty-seven miles. At the same time, the Highway Commission will be urged to extend the designation twenty-one miles further to Bridgeport, a section already graded by Wise County.
     Nine years work are represented in the Northwest Highway, which gives Dallas a distinct outlet into West Texas, and which now is paved from Highway No. 1 near White Rock, west to Grapevine, in Tarrant County.

Started Three Years Ago.
     Actual construction on the project began three years ago, when in June, 1928, the State Highway Commission awarded contract for grading and drainage structures from Maple avenue, west to the Dallas County line.
     Then came another contract for paving that section between Maple avenue, east to the Richardson road, and then grading and drainage structures were authorized from the Tarrant County line to the Denton County line, a distance of twenty-four miles.
     After contract was let for paving the section from Maple avenue to the Dallas County line, the contractor was authorized to extend it two miles west to connect with Grapevine, where paving now ends.
     Grading and drainage structures, from the Richardson road, east to the Bankhead Highway No. 1 followed as the next contract, then came others for grading and drainage work, from the Denton County line to Rhome and paving the section from Richardson road, east to Highway 1.
     Work is now going on laying forty-foot concrete from Richardson road, east to Highway 1, approximately five miles. When this is completed, the road will be forty feet wide from Maple avenue to the head of White Rock Lake, where it connects with the forty-foot Buckner Boulevard. From Maple avenue to Grapevine is twenty feet wide.

Credit for J. W. Slaughter.
     Grading and drainage structures are now completed across Tarrant and Denton Counties through Grapevine and Roanoke, and are practically complete in Wise County, where connection is made with Highway 2 at Rhome.
     Preparing for the crusade to Austin, Monday, those interested in the highway gave praise to J. W. Slaughter, Dallas County pioneer, who has been the guiding force behind the road, since it was first thought of. Mr. Slaughter is credited with having originated the idea for the highway, and has been working many years for its success.
     Members of the delegation going to Austin will include Mr. Slaughter, a member of the original committee that [secured] the delegation; T. M. Cullum, [until] recently, chairman of the highway committee for the Dallas Chamber of Commerce; R. A. Thompson, consulting engineer for the Dallas Chamber of Commerce; W. W. Gibhard, John J. Simmons, J. S. Birdwell and John Boswell of the Wichita Falls Chamber of Commerce; D. E. Box and I. E. Lowe of Grapevine, A. Birdwell of Rhome and officials from several adjoining counties.
     "The Dallas Northwest Highway holds the key to the traffic situation from every direction of Dallas," Mr. Slaughter said Saturday, and he pointed out the many superiorities the route had over anything ever attempted for Dallas.

Avoids City Traffic.
     A direct route to Northwest Texas is offered on the new highway, which is routed in such a manner that traffic from the northeast and east can escape every bit of the city's congested traffic. If, however, this traffic comes through the city proper, direct connections are made with the Northwest Highway, leading to the northwest.
     A new connection leading into Dallas from the Northwest Highway is now under construction. This connection will come into the city over Alamo and Orange streets, paralleling Maple avenue. This route also will lead to the North Fort Worth road, which leaves this Alamo street route at Brook Hollow Golf Club and proceeds due west to Fort Worth.
     In addition to caring for traffic coming in from the east, the Northwest Highway also links up with every highway coming into Dallas from the south. This is done by Lamar street, which is being widened, along with McKinney avenue, to connect with Orange and Alamo streets for the Northwest Highway connection.
     Direct connections are made with the Outer Boulevard circling the city and connecting with all important highways, and with the Industrial Boulevard through the levee district.
     Mr. Slaughter pointed out that Dallas County has carried out her part of the program by spending $1,300,000 on the Dallas County section, which was financed entirely by this county. Because of this, the Highway Department agreed to attend to construction of the route outside Dallas County.
     The last section to be completed in Dallas County will be ready for full use about the middle of August, when forty feet of concrete on the Richardson-Bankhead section is opened. Twenty feet already is open and twenty more feet is now being put down by contractors.

- June 21, 1931, The Dallas Morning News, Sec. II, p. 13, col. 1-5.
- o o o -