CHOSEN WITH CARE
Site for the New
that permanence is the first requisite in location of a cemetery,
the planners of Restland Memorial Park, in choosing a site for
the new burial grounds, acted with due considerations of the
probable future growth of Dallas according to M. C. Weaver, head
of the company in charge of the project. The result was selection
of a site sufficiently far removed from the center of population
to be desirable for the purpose even then [when?] Dallas has
become a city of 500,000. At the same time, it is readily accessible.
- February 1, 1925,
Dallas Times Herald, Sec. IV, p. 1, col. 2.
Restland is located about six miles
northeast of the city limits. It fronts 2,100 feet on the newly-paved
Richardson road and extends 1,200 feet deep. The tract has been
laid out in accordance with the most approved plans for such
developments. Daniel R. Hall, chief landscape architect and engineer
for the National Park service, U. S. A., will have charge of
Alfred C. Bossom, New York architect,
associated with Thomson and Swaine of Dallas, designed the ornamental
entrance to be built on the Richardson road and the stone and
granite chapel to be constructed in the cemetery. Clo[?] Neill,
Dallas sculptor, will execute the statues with which the several
sections of the grounds will be adorned.
Those in charge of the development
of Restland have announced that only granite and bronze slabs
set level with lawn on concrete bases will be permitted as grave
markers. This requirement is imposed for the purpose of preserving
the beauty and harmony of the grounds.
A perpetual care fund for the maintenance
of Restland park is to be provided by depositing a portion of
the proceeds of each lot sale with the American Trust company
of Dallas. The principal of the fund is to be kept intact, and
the income used for the maintenance of the grounds.
- o o o -