Right Rev. Alexander C. Garrett delivered, at St. Matthew's church,
on Sunday, to a large congregation, his first sermon in Dallas.
His discourse was marked by much of the eloquence and ability
for which this pious and learned divine is so distinguished.
The bishop is a very forcible and polished speaker, an admirable
elocutionist, and the subject matter of his sermon, the birth
of Christ, was such as might be expected from a mind enriched
by a generous store of culture and a heart full of noble and
holy impulses. The simplicity and naturalness of his manner in
the pulpit was in keeping with the dignity of his office, while
the impression produced upon those who heard him for the first
time, was very gratifying to churchmen, and flattering to the
bishop, who enters upon his new field of labors with the accustomed
zeal and with the best wishes of not only the church, but the
5, 1875, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 4, col. 1.
- o o o -
H. M. Bien will deliver this evening at the temple Emanuel, the
second of his lectures on Jewish Sects, from a Jewish standpoint.
Subject: "The origin of the sects and their historical development."
Service commences by 8 o'clock p. m. The public are cordially
16, 1880, The Dallas Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -
The Rev. R. T. Hanks Demands
Church Investigation of the
Charges Against Him.
reports of a scandalous nature were circulated in this city,
charging the Rev. R. T. Hanks, pastor of the First Baptist Churth,
with outrageous conduct. These reports soon gained such a general
circulation and became the subjects of street gossips, that the
church officials had to notice them, and accordingly, a committee
was appointed to investigate. This committee reported in September
to the congregation that they could find no evidences whatever,
implicating Dr. Hanks in criminal action, and they submitted
resolutions expressing perfect confidence in his Christianity
and virtue, and pronouncing the reports as wicked slanders, and
furthermore inviting any one who knew to the contrary to make
specific charges. These resolutions were unanimously adopted
and the matter was thought to be settled. Lately, however, the
scandal has broken out afresh, and it has become so annoying
to Rev. Hanks that last Sunday a week ago, resolutions were offered
at his request proposing a church trial. The resolutions provided
that the tribunal be composed of seven Baptist ministers of the
state, as follows: A. T. Spalding, Galveston; B. H. Carroll,
Waco; F. M. Law, Bryan; M. V. Smith, Belton; J. H. Striblin,
Rockdale; R. C. Buckner, Dallas; A. W. Simms, Cleburne; also
that the following twelve gentlemen of the congregation be appointed
to assist in collecting evidence to be submitted to the committee
of ministers, these however, to have no voice in the verdict.
The date for the trial of the charges was set for Dec. 3d next.
The twelve appointed were as follows: J. D. Henry, W. L. Williams,
C. C. Slaughter, Waid Hill, Ed P. Marshall, C. H. Briggs, G.
M. Figh, J. W. Barton, J. T. Hand, S. J. Howell, S. L. May, H.
L. Lewis, and the following ministers were added last night by
request of parties who are opposing Mr. Hanks: J. S. Gillespie,
Fort Worth; W. H. Howard, Austin; J. L. Lloyd, Kaufman; Jerry
Clark, Hillsboro; G. W. Griffin, Longview; T. J. Harris, Gainesville;
H. M. Burrows, and one other whose name could not be learned.
A committee of twelve members of the congregation were then appointed
by the opposition whose duties were to be the same as those of
the twelve named by the church, the names of this last committee,
however, aside from Messrs. Prather, Ardrey and Akins, were not
obtained in time for this issue. [At th]e meeting last
night, the resolutions were unanimously adopted, there being
only two dissenting voices, and were warmly supported by Rev.
- November 26, 1888,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-5.
It is now definitely understood
by all parties at interest, that the verdict of this tribunal,
be it as it may, would be accepted by the entire congregation
and the resolution so provides, thus effectually settling in
the minds of the public as well as the disaffected members of
- o o o -
ABOUT THE CITY.
County Sunday School Association will hold its twelfth annual
convention at Garland August 8 and 9. An excellent programme
has been prepared. The best Sunday school talent in the state
will be present and a most excellent and profitable time is expected.
This is the strongest and best organized association in the state
and its work has wrought great good in this county. All Sunday
school workers are cordially invited to be on hand and help on
the good work.
- July 25, 1889, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 1.
- o o o -
Day Adventists have gone into the Embree park at Garland pitching
tents, etc., preparatory to their annual camp meeting and conference,
which begins Tuesday, August 27. Their workers' meeting, or general
laborers' institute commenced yesterday, and will reach up to
the time of the beginning of the camp meeting proper. During
this meeting there will be given a series of lectures, to commence
about Thursday night, on "Civil Government and Religion;
or, the Relation Between Church and State." Every one is
invited to all the services of these meetings.
- August 21, 1889,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 2.
- o o o -
ABOUT THE CITY.
water is clear again and the waterworks superintendent says it
will hold its limpid color until the next big rain.
- September 3, 1889,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
Rev. M. T. Brown (colored) of Paris,
has been called and accepted the pastorate of the Young Street
Christian (colored) Church.
- o o o -
REV. R. T. HANKS
As Pastor of the First Baptist
of the First Baptist Church last night was called to order for
the regular monthly transaction of business, a prominent feature
in the order being action on the matter of the pastor's resignation
which was tendered some three months ago to take effect the middle
of this month.
- October 3, 1889,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
Rev. Mr. Malone, a member of the
church, was called to the chair and the pastor whose resignation
was to receive attention retired from the building.
The first business was the reading
of a report from the committee on discipline recommending that
certain names of members who had bolted and united with the East
Dallas church be stricken from the church rolls. One exception
was made, however, on the list furnished by the East Dallas church,
and that was the name of a lady which it was state had been enrolled
on the East Dallas register without her sanction. She had no
desire to align herself with the East Dallas body and will remain
a member of the First Church.
At a former meeting, a committee
was appointed to recommend or suggest the name of some one to
fill the pastorate. That committee asked to be discharged and
declined to make a report, preferring to leave the matter to
the church to act upon unbiased by any suggestions a committee
Col. W. L. Williams moved to go
into the election of a pastor.
The vote on this proposition stood fifty-one for and eleven against.
In putting his motion, Col. Williams stated that his purpose
was to nominate Rev. R. T. Hanks and recall him.
Mr. Hanks' name was placed before
the meeting and he was re-called, the vote standing fifty-five
for, and eight against.
Five voted against a motion to make his election unanimous.
A committee was appointed to notify
Mr. Hanks of his election and the business meeting adjourned
until the first Wednesday night in next month.
- o o o -
AT A FUTURE DATE.
The Troubles of
the East Dallas
Methodist Church Will be
Elder Pearce, the presiding elder, preached at the East Dallas
Methodist church. His remarks had direct bearing upon the disagreement
which has sprung up out there between the church and two or three
members. It was announced that the trouble would be disposed
of at conference meeting Saturday night, and by invitation, a
was present to hear the final outcome. Contrary to expectations,
when services opened, Mr. Dixon announced that, for reason best
known to the pastor, Rev. Mr. Blackburn, and the presiding elder,
the special object of the meeting had been postponed until a
future date, which would be announced later. The meeting then
resolved into a song and prayer service and passed without a
- August 4, 1890, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 2.
This congregation worships in a
small white church building with a spire pointing heavenward.
It stands just across the branch on Haskell avenue, which marks
the bounds of the city on the east. It is a neatly finished and
furnished building. The aisles are carpeted and the pews are
comfortable and inviting. Everything betokens peace and reveals
the liberal spirit of the congregation in providing a place of
worship. but for reference made to their troubles by those who
spoke, the stranger would never know they had any trouble.
It is a debt on the cozy little
church building that they are wrangling over, but they hope to
have it settled soon.
- o o o -
He is Expected in Dallas This
Thomas F. Brennan, of this diocese, left New Orleans last night
for Galveston, where he will be the guest of Bishop Gallagher
for several days and then come direct to Dallas, his future home.
He is expected in this city Sunday.
- April 21, 1891, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 4.
Bishop Brennan was born in Ireland,
but received his public school education in the lumber region
of Pennsylvania. He graduated at Allegany, N. Y., college; studied
the classics in Rouen, France; studied theology at Innesbruck,
Germany, and won the doctor's cap in Rome ten years ago. Since
then, he has built three churches in Forest, Potter and Elk counties,
Pa., where he has labored hard for ten years, tramping day and
night through unbroken forests to his priestly duties, defying
the elements and wild beasts. He has traveled through Spain,
Germany, Russia, Africa and other counties, and represented the
Erie diocese at the pope's jubilee, and at that time, was made
a domestic prelate with the title of monsignor.
He will make the Church of the
Sacred Heart in this city the pro-cathedral with will proceed
at once to build a new cathedral and orphan asylum and establish
a new order of sisters and a religious order for men. He is the
youngest prelate in the United States, and will have one of the
largest dioceses covering 22,000 square miles, with a Catholic
population of 22,000.
- o o o -
The Ordination of
Father Hartnett at the
high mass in the pro-cathedral yesterday, Rev. J. A. Hartnett
of Weatherford was raised to the priesthood by Right Rev. Bishop
Brennan, assisted by Father Martiniere, V. G., archdeacon; Father
Donohue of Sherman and Father Moore of Dallas, deacons; Father
Brickley of St. Patrick's, deacon of the mass; Mr. Thomas Blakeney,
sub-deacon; Rev. Dr. Coffey, master of ceremonies, and Rev. Father
Coyne, assistant master of ceremonies. At 9 a. m., the procession
was formed at the episcopal residence, whence it proceeded by
Ervay street and thence on Bryan street to the pro-cathedral.
The ceremony of ordination was very impressive, and was witnessed
by the largest congregation that had ever assembled in the church,
among those present being a large number of the relatives of
Father Hartness. The bishop delivered a short, but beautiful,
discourse on the duties of the priesthood. The ordination was
followed by a reception at the episcopal residence. Father Hartnett
studied for the priesthood at Cincinnati. He will be stationed
at the pro-cathedral. Mr. Thomas Blakeney, who has received the
orders of sub-deacon, is a son of Mr. Hugh Blakeney, of Dallas.
He will be ordained next year.
- July 6, 1891, Dallas
Morning News, p. 5, col. 4.
- o o o -
DALLAS MAN IN TROUBLE.
AN ALLEGED GAY LOTHARIO
IN ST. LOUIS
With the Wife of
The Story as Told by the
St. Louis Republic.
Southern Afternoon Press.
MR. AND MRS. WILLIAMS.
ST. LOUIS, Nov. 20.--The Republic published the following
A bondsman was secured last night,
after considerable negotiating during the day, and Louis H. Carhart,
a Methodist clergyman, and Mrs. James Smith were released from
jail, having given bail for their appearance before the court
of criminal correction to answer to a charge of lewd cohabitation,
on which they were arrested last Monday afternoon. The history
of the case is a peculiar one. Rev. Mr. Carhart has a wife and
family residing in Brooklyn, N. Y., and was pastor of a Methodist
church in Dallas, Tex. He does not look like a man at all liable
to alienate a wife's affections. He is tall and dark, with a
black head and dark eyes, but is not handsome. He is on the shady
side of 50 years and looks every day that age. Sleepless nights
spent in jail had given his eyes an unnatural glitter and his
face was devoid of color. He seemed greatly annoyed and worried
about the trouble in which he had become involved and was anxious
for vindication, though his sagacious lawyer advised him not
to fret over his troubles. Rev. Carhart could not look upon the
matter from the attorney's placid point of view, and spent some
time yesterday preparing a document for publication, headed "Revenge
Reversed," in which he demonstrated to his own entire satisfaction
that he was the victim of malicious prosecution, and that Mr.
James Smith was all in the wrong.
When Rev. Mr. Carhart was arrested,
he had some money about his person. This became known among the
shyster lawyers and professional bondsmen at the Four Courts
and Rev. Mr. Carhart was embarrassed in selecting from among
the many applicants for his "business." Yesterday,
the bonds were made out for both Rev. Mr. Carhart and Mrs. Smith
and they were released soon after 6 o'clock.
Smith, a prominent resident of Springfield, Ill, came to the
city Monday and obtained warrants against Carhart and Mrs. Smith,
charging them with living together as Mr. and Mrs. Williams.
He claimed that his wife met Rev. Mr. Carhart at Hot Springs,
Ark., and on her return home, exchanged frequent letters with
him, and about two months ago, left Springfield to join the clergyman.
He followed her to Chicago and then to various other places,
and after considerable running about, he finally located his
wife in St. Louis. His story was sufficiently clear and specific
to induce Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Estep to issue warrants
against Carhart and Mrs. Smith.
A WIFE IN BROOKLYN.
Mrs. Smith was stopping at 118
South Fourteenth street, where Rev. Mr. Carhart had introduced
her as Mrs. Williams, his wife, and where he frequently visited
her. She is a woman of about 45 years, and of commonplace appearance
and a commonplace history. She did not live happily with her
husband, but was supposed to be a virtuous and dutiful wife until
her flight from home.
Carhart is married. His wife, Mrs. Clara Carhart, lives on Washington
street, Brooklyn, N. Y. and is taking a course of instruction
at the New York Homeopathic Medical College. His son is attending
Princeton College, and his daughter is a student at a New York
art school It is said that the family is well known and highly
respected in Brooklyn, where Rev. Mr. Carhart owns some property.
Rev. Mr. Carhart was, until recently, pastor of a church in Dallas,
Tex. He has preached in other cities in the south and west. He
denies that he ever had a church in Brooklyn or New York, and
refused to tell the names of the various places where he has
been in charge of congregations. Since he left Dallas and visited
Hot Springs, Rev. Mr. Carhart seems to have abandoned his ministerial
calling and determined to enter business. He went to Chicago,
and after consulting with the manufacturers of a patent medicine
called "Veavi," secured the St. Louis agency, which
is located in room 35 of the Bell telephone building. He took
the agency as A. B. Carhart, but in signing papers securing the
company employing him, he signed himself L. H. Carhart. These
papers were sent to New York for the signature of Carhart's wife.
In explaining why he used two sets of initials, Carhart said
that his right initials were L. H., but that he took the agency
under his son's name, as there were claims against him in Texas
that might be pressed here were he to enter business under his
own name. The whole case is very much jumbled, and no effort
has been made by Rev. Mr. Carhart to give a full and candid explanation.
He will talk about the charges against himself, but is very reticent
concerning his past history.
A VICTIM OF MALICE.
The Chicago people, whose agent
Rev. Mr. Carhart had become, have not yet sent anyone to St.
Louis to take charge of their business. Mrs. M. C. Dodson of
2930 Washington avenue, is in charge of the office. She says
that she has known Rev. Mr. Carhart for about a month. When he
took charge of the agency, he asked her to remain with him three
months until he could familiarize himself with the business,
when they could talk about the future. She says that she expects
the Chicago company to send a representative to St. Louis to-day.
Carhart declares that he has been the victim of Mr. Smith's malice.
According to his statements, his relations with Mrs. Smith were
simply those of a friend and adviser. She came to him in distress
after leaving her husband, and he took her to a respectable boarding
house, where he introduced her as Mrs. Williams. His reason for
doing this, he says, were that a woman living alone without friends
would excite distrust and might meet with insult. He said that
Mrs. Smith was seeking employment and that he did all he could
to assist her. He never gave her any money and she had sufficient
to meet all her wants. He insists that their relations were perfectly
pure and honest.
HIS DALLAS RECORD.
In his statement, "Revenge
Reversed," Rev. Mr. Carhart says that the side of the enemy
only has been heard. He believe that this friends will not place
any low interpretation on the assistance he gave Mrs. Smith.
"No husband worthy of the name," he wrote, "would
deliberately allow a lady in poor health to be thrust into jail
and its vicious surroundings. When a woman declares herself unable
to live longer with a man, the least he can do is to allow her
to go and do for herself and make her own living. If he thinks
to enslave her, he is simply a fool and deserves no sympathy."
He adds that Smith cannot prove
that any improper relations ever existed between himself and
H. Carhart, the subject of the above, is well known in Dallas.
About ten years ago, he was pastor of the Tabernacle (Northern)
M. E. church, and many of the old members of the congregation
will remember his tall, handsome figure and his pleasant address.
He was a fine looking man with long, black, flowing beard. He
possessed excellent social qualities and he was popular as a
man and pastor, both with his congregation and the community
at large. His wife was a pleasant little woman in her sphere
as the wife of the pastor. She divided the laurels of popularity
with her husband. They had several children, and it was a happy
family. Mr. Carhart served the church about two years and while
he was here, it is said that his record was perfect. No tale
of scandal followed his deportment while he was in this city,
but after he left here and went to other fields, some of his
Dallas friends heard rumors of scandal and indiscreet conduct
involving the subsequent life of the former Dallas pastor.
- November 20, 1891,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3-4.
- o o o -
[Additional information on Rev. Carhart can be found here:
A. P. Smith of the First Presbyterian church preached his first
sermon in this city eighteen years, five months and fourteen
days ago, and his first congregation was composed of fifteen
persons. Since that time, the following figures give the results
of his pastorate: sermons preached, 2426, lectured delivered,
988, pastoral visits, 20,000; funerals, 367; baptisms, 280; marriages,
378; members on certificates, 797, on examination, 327; dismissed
and buried, 774; present membership, 350; money collected for
various causes, $65,343, an average per year of $3690; Ladies'
aid society average per year, $200; in addition to this is the
Sabbath school collection and the Young Ladies' missionary society.
He ordained and installed seventeen ruling elders and eighteen
- January 25, 1892,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -
February 9, 2004:
Charter Taken Out by Residents of
Dallas Spiritualists have filed a charter with the secretary
of state. The charter provides the object of the association
to be to support public worship and to advance, disseminate and
maintain the principles, tenets an faith of spiritualism. The
incorporators are Benjamin C. Tabor, Marcus L. Hodges, Julius
C. Watkins, Ignatz G. Przedmojski, Alan C. Clarke, Asa J. Whitsell,
Claramond W. Watkins, Oscar Dalton, Agatha W. Erdmansky, Simpson
H. Tabor, Lou H. Willis, Hatfield Pettibone, Madison J. Hurd,
Kathadene Hurd, John H. Johnson, M. L. Burt and Jno. J. Burt,
all of Dallas.
19, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
Trustees: Benjamin C. Tabor, Marcus
L. Hodges, Julius C. Watkins, Ignatz G. Przedmojski and Alan
- o o o -
Union Gospel Meetings
by Evangelist F. L. Smith of New York commence to-night in the
large new gospel tent on the corner of Main and Stone streets,
opposite the Jennie Scollard building. There will be special
song service by a large chorus at 7:40. There will be preaching
service every night at 8 o'clock. The union prayer meeting in
the Methodist Tabernacle Church on Main street will take place
at 10 o'clock every morning except Sunday.
27, 1893, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 3.
- o o o -
DAILY NEWS BUDGET.
congregation of Oak Cliff are putting up a church on the corner
of Ninth street and Grand avenue, which is to be of wood and
brick. Mr. M. M. Remick has the contract for building it.
- July 20, 1893, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col.1.
- o o o -
COMING AND GOING.
John F. Coffey, D. D. L L. D., has been in the city for the past
two weeks, stopping with friends. It is understood that the object
of his visit is to put himself in possession of facts that will
cause a retraction of the grave charges against Bishop Brennan,
or that will refute them.
- July 20, 1893, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col.3.
- o o o -
DAILY NEWS BUDGET.
of the Episcopal church, now in course of erection in Oak Cliff,
will be laid with appropriate ceremonies this evening at 5 o'clock
by Rt. Rev. Bishop Garrett. A copy of the TIMES HERALD,
a copy of the Bible and a copy of the Dallas News, with other
newspapers of the country and documents, will be placed in the
- July 21, 1893, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
- o o o -
Dallas M. E. church that was demolished by the cyclone, will
soon have its new corner stone laid on South Ervay street, near
- August 12, 1893,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2
- o o o -
THE NEW BISHOP.
Very Rev. Father
Hickey Reported to Be
Blum, at high mass yesterday, stated that a new bishop had been
appointed for the diocese of Dallas, but that he had received
no official notice of the fact. The Church Press of New York
of the 23d instant, says: "There seems to be no reason to
doubt that the Very Rev. J. W. Hickey, C. M., will be the next
bishop at Dallas, Tex.
- September 4, 1893,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 2.
Father Hickey, who was recently
pastor of St. Joseph's church, New Orleans, belongs to the Lazarist
fathers, and is about 54 years of age. In regard to the appointments,
a prominent Catholic said to a TIMES HERALD reporter: "Father Hickey is a man of wide
attainments and great executive abilities. The people here are
rejoiced to hear of his appointment, as he is a southern man
and in touch with southern people."
- o o o -
NEWS OF THE DAY.
Macon, the architect who built the Central Christian church,
has just completed a large contract at Houston and returned to
Dallas. He will leave in a few days for Anderson, Tex., where
he has a contract for building a courthouse.
- September 4, 1893,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
The Seventh-day Adventists will spread a large tent on Ervay
street, near the car stables, on the ground formerly occupied
by the Baptist tabernacle, and begin a course of lectures on
the prophecies of the Old and New Testament, Thursday night.
Elder Borden, of the Christian
church, is conducting an interesting and successful revival in
West Dallas. Some ten converts were baptized yesterday afternoon
at Kellar Springs, and there are ten or fifteen more whom it
is expected will be baptized soon.
- o o o -
Presbyterian church, corner McKinney avenue and Phelps street.
Services to-morrow at 11 a. m. and 8 p. m. by Rev. J. D. McLean,
pastor. Subject of morning discourse, "Baptism."
- September 23, 1893,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 5.
Rev. John S. McLean has been elected
pastor of the old school Presbyterian church at Marshall.
Rev. N. B. Read of Oak Cliff is
conducting a revival at Granbury.
- o o o -
NEWS OF THE DAY
Hall last night, A. B. Bristol lectured on the poets and poetry
of spiritualism. The attendance was large.
- September 25, 1893,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -
LAID A CORNERSTONE
PLACED UNDER ST.
CATHEDRAL AT NOON TO-DAY.
by Church Dig-
nitaries -- Many Articles, Some of
Them Valuable, Placed Un-
der the Cornerstone.
of the new St. Matthew's cathedral on Ervay street was laid at
noon to-day. After the celebration of communion by Bishop Garrett,
the clergy, choir, vestry and congregation marched to the site.
The northwest corner of the building was that in which the stone
was placed. A tin box, about 10 inches long and about 6 inches
in width and 6 in depth, containing the following list of articles,
was placed in a square place cut in the foundation.
St. Matthew's Cathedral
1. Holy Bible,
2. Book of Common Prayer -- standard
3. Hymnal, 1892.
4. Historical Monograph, by the
Rev. Edwin Wickers.
5. The names of the clergy as follows:
Rt. Rev. Alexander C. Garrett, D. D., L. L. D., bishop; Rev.
William B. Guion, priest in charge; Rev. Edwin Wickers, priest
in charge of the Church of Incarnation; rev. John U. Graf, priest
in charge of Christ's church, Oak Cliff.
6. The names of vestry, as follows:
Richard Morgan, senior warden; Robert Gibson, junior warden;
W. S. Simkins, Webster Snyder, Jules E. Schneider, Charles F.
Dexter, H. L. S. Kniffin, William B. Robinson, John A. Pope,
7. The names of Building Committee,
as follows: Webster Snyder, H. L. S. Kniffin.
8. The names of the architects
-- Meper, Sanguinet & Meper.
9. The name of the contractor --
F. L. Stevenson.
10. The report of St. Matthew's
parish at Easter, 1893.
11. The catalogue of St. Mary's
12. Copy of inscription of memorial
brass in St. Matthew's institute.
13. Prayer for St. Mary's institute,
as in daily use.
14. Journal of the eighteenth convocation
of the missionary district of northern Texas.
15. Copy of the Churchman for Dec.
16. Copy of the Church Standard
for Dec. 16, 1893.
17. Copy of the Living church for
Dec. 16, 1893.
18. Copy of the TIMES HERALD for
Dec. 21, 1893.
19. Copy of the Dallas News for
Dec. 22, 1893.
20. Form of service used on this
21. Phial of wheat.
22. Phial of olive oil.
23. Phial of port wine.
The corner stone consisted of a
polished stone of the same character of stone, of which the building
is composed, 2 feet 8 inches square, with the following inscription
on it: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of
the Holy Ghost. Amen.
"Other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which
is Jesus Christ." -- 1 Corinthians 3,2.
was raised by means of a derrick and placed on the stone in which
the tin box had been inserted.
- December 22, 1893,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 3.
The corner stone of the old cathedral,
which was of marble, was placed in the wall.
- o o o -
TO BISHOP DUNNE.
Parishioners Bid Him Godspeed
Chicago telegram, dated Friday night, says: An audience even
larger than that which witnessed the consecration of Rt. Rev.
Edward J. Dunne, the new bishop of the see of Dallas, Tex., assembled
in All Saint's church to-night to bid farewell and godspeed to
the distinguished prelate, who will leave this city on the 15th
instant for his new field of labor. The parishioners and other
friends, through Chairman Daniel Corkery, presented Father Dunne
with an engraved address accompanied by a purse of $4000.
6, 1894, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 1-2.
Addresses were delivered by Postmaster
Washington Hesing, Hon. Peter Kiolbasa, the leading Polish Catholic
of Chicago, and by Rev. Father McShane and others. Corkery said:
"Church, schools and residences stand as your monuments.
But, greater than these, are these children you have educated,
the wayward you have reclaimed, the faltering ones strengthened,
the living who speak only feebly their attachment and the sweet
memory of departed souls guided by you into eternal rest."
The bishop responded in an address
of much feeling and eloquence and spoke of the hopeful future
of the great state which is to be his new home.
- o o o -
DR. J. B. LINK.
OF A PIONEER BAPTIST ED-
ITOR AND PREACHER.
Founded the Texas Baptist and Her-
ald, Baptist Historical Magazine
and Did Much Other Active
Work for His Church.
J. B. Link, who died at his home near Austin yesterday, had been
a prominent leader in the Baptist denomination in this state
for twenty-eight years.
REV. J. B. LINK
11, 1894, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 4-5.
Dr. Link was born in Virginia in
1825, and on reaching his majority, he went to Missouri. For
several year prior to the war, he was connected with the William
Jewel college, at Liberty, in that state. From the beginning
to the close of the war, he was a chaplain on the Confederate
At the end of the war, he was sent
by the Southern Baptist convention as a missionary to Texas.
In the prosecution of his work here, he founded the Texas Baptist-Herald
at Houston in 1866. In 1883, he removed his paper to Austin,
and about a year later, again pulled up stakes and took his printing
establishment to Waco. In 1886, he sold out to Dr. Hayden, who
consolidated the paper with the Texas Baptist, under the name
of the Baptist-Herald, which is still being conducted by Dr.
Hayden at Dallas.
From 1879 to 1882 or 1883, Dr.
Link was the North Texas agent of the Texas Baptist Educational
society. During this period, he made Dallas his headquarters,
and edited his paper from this point. For about three years after
selling his paper, Dr. Link did field work for the hyphenated
In 1891, he began at Austin, the
publication of the Baptist Historical Magazine, and completed
two volumes of the paper, which constitute a valuable history
of the Baptist church in Texas.
For several years, preceding his
death, Dr. Link lived near Austin, acting as pastor of one or
more country churches, editing his magazine and conducting a
Jersey dairy farm.
Dr. Link was an indefatigable worker
and took a leading part in all Baptist work. He enjoyed the confidence
and esteem of his church.
When Dr. Link came to Dallas in
1879, he presented his letter for membership in the First Baptist
church. R. C. Buckner was, at that time, editor of the Texas
Baptist. He and Dr. Link had been vilifying each other through
the columns of their papers, after the fashion of old time rival
political editors, and Dr. Buckner objected to the admission
of his rival editor to the membership of the church. The church,
however, admitted him. Dr. Buckner then got up a "memorial"
with the signatures of fifty-nine members of the church attached
to it. This memorial set forth that the church had done very
wrong in admitting Dr. Link to fellowship, and that that action
was thereby rescinded, thus setting up the claim that the fifty-nine
members constituted the First Baptist church. There were, however,
some three hundred other members who took issue with Dr. Buckner
and refused to turn Dr. Link out. Dr. Buckner, with his flock
of fifty-nine, withdrew, setting up a tabernacle of their own
in a little church on the corner of Live Oak and Harwood streets,
but in the course of four or five years, the whole business of
them, including Dr. Buckner, came back into the fold.
- o o o -
IS IN DALLAS.
Installed as the
Official Head of
AN ESCORT OF
WELCOMED AT FORT
WORTH BY A
at the Church of the
Sacred Heart -- Reception and
Banquet in the Convent
Special to the TIMES HERALD.
FORT WORTH, Tex.., Jan. 17. - The new Catholic bishop of
the diocese of Dallas, the Right Rev. Edward J. Dunne, and his
escort of Chicago priests, arrived here in a special car over
the Rock Island railroad at 7:35 this morning. The party was
met by a delegation of Fort Worth Catholics, taken in carriages
and driven to the Union Depot hotel, where they were breakfasted,
after which they were driven over the city and shown the principal
places of interest.
RT. REV. E. J. DUNNE,
BISHOP OF DALLAS
reception committee consisted of Father Deyo, Jerre A. Lewis,
J. C. McCarthy, M. T. Hurley, John McNamara and Judge Lynch,
accompanied by all the parishioners of St. Patrick's church.
Arrival in Dallas.
Delegations were present from Waco
and Weatherford, and all extended Bishop Dunne a cordial welcome
to his new field of labor.
The escort of Chicago priests was
made up of Fathers Darney, Telley, Maloney, Clancey, O'Gara,
Farray, Dunne ( a brother of the bishop), McDonnell, Campbell,
Galligan, Tinan, Cartan, Hayes, McGuire, McShane, Spillard, Hogan,
Murray and Kelley. Layman P. bush, of Bishop Dunne's old Chicago
parish, was also in the party.
Bishop Brennan and his party were
called on about 9 o'clock by the following delegation from Dallas,
who arrive din a special car over the Texas and Pacific road,
for the express purpose of conducting the new bishop to the home
of the diocese in Dallas: James Moroney, Kane Shields, Tom Barry,
Edward Gannon, George Raull, W. J. Moroney, T. J. Murnane, P.
J. Talty, M. Coerver and John Boyd.
No speeches of welcome were made
here by the members of the Dallas delegation, that feature being
reserved for the installation ceremonies at Dallas.
The special palace coach, which
had conveyed the bishop's party from Chicago, furnished by the
Pullman company, and also the special car from Dallas, were attached
to the regular eastbound Texas and Pacific train. At 10:30, Bishop
Dunne and his escort and welcoming delegation departed for Dallas.
The ceremonies here were very simple, in conformity with the
previously expressed wishes of Bishop Dunne.
Rev. E. J. Dunne, the new Catholic bishop of the diocese of Dallas,
arrived here at noon to-day, in a special coach from Chicago
via the Rock Island and Texas and Pacific railroads, accompanied
by nineteen priests from Chicago.
- January 17, 1894,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 1, col. 4-5.
Bishop Dune was met at Fort Worth
by the following committee of the laity from Dallas; James Moroney,
Kane Shields, Tom Barry, George Raull, Edward Gannon, W. J. Moroney,
P. J. Talty, T. J. Murnane, M. Colver and John Boyd.
The following reception committee
with carriages met the Bishop at the brick depot and escorted
him to the pastor's residence on North Ervay street: P. W. Linskie,
Tom King and M. Crowley.
The following priests from diocese
are present at the installation celebration:
Father Barbier, of Texarkana; Fathers
Joseph and Louis Granger, of Jefferson and Marshall respectively,
Father Lehane of Clarksville; Father Hartnette, of Ennis; Father
Pujos, of St. Paul, Collin county, Father Reagan, of Cleburne;
Father T. K. Crowley, of Denison; Father P. J;. Donahue, of Sherman;
Father Huechemer, of Tyler; Father Guyot, of Fort worth; Father
Bardenhewer, of Pilot Point; Father Bonaventura, O. S. B., of
Munster; Father Weber of Munster.
The installation services took
place in the Church of the Sacred Heart, on Bryan street. The
address of welcome on the part of the priesthood was delivered
by Father Martiniere; that on the part of the laity by Mr. James
Moroney, and Freddy Kane appeared in behalf of the children.
Bishop Dunne responded to the addresses
of welcome in a well-worded speech, after which the pontifical
benediction was pronounced.
After the installation services,
a reception and banquet were given in the old convent building
on Masten street, where the Bishop met and formed the acquaintance
of the priesthood of the diocese and the laity of Dallas.
- o o o -
IN WATER COLORS.
How Thirty Baptist
Their Pictures Taken.
a baptizing in White Rock creek, in the McComas neighborhood,
yesterday. Thirty persons were baptized. But, before they were
put under, they stood waist deep in the water and had their picture
taken in a group, the minister making one of the group.
- August 25, 1894,
The Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 4.
- o o o -
A Successful Series
at the Free Methodist
at the little Free Methodist church, on the corner of Payne and
McKinnon streets, conducted by Bishop Burton R. Jones, for the
past few nights, have been seasons of great blessing to all who
have attended them. The sacramental service yesterday at 11 a.
m., and love feast at 3 p. m., were also "times of refreshing."
But, the best service was held last night. After the very able
discourse by the bishop, an invitation was given those who were
unsaved to kneel at the altar, to which many responded, and an
old-time Methodist revival service followed, in which a good
number professed to finding salvation. The increased congregations
necessitate the building of a new church, which, it is hoped,
will soon be in progress, and, in which, the co-operation of
friends is solicited.
- December 16, 1895,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
- o o o -
June 14, 2004:
following real estate transfers were recorded yesterday:
C. Britain to A. J. Lucas et al., deacons of New Providence Baptist
church, and their successors in office, 1 acre of the S. P. Montgomery
12, 1896, The Dallas Morning News, p. 20, col. 4.
- o o o -
A NEW CATHEDRAL.
OF CATHOLICS OF THE
PRO-CATHEDRAL AT SACRED
Speeches Made and $7000
Subscribed as a Starter--The
Cathedral Will Be Built.
response to a call issued to the Catholics of Dallas, the Sacred
Heart church on Bryan street was well filled last night. The
purpose of the meeting was to take some action looking toward
the erection of a magnificent cathedral in this city. In addition
to the Catholics, several protestants were also present. The
Right Reverend Bishop Dunne, bishop of the northern diocese of
Texas, presided, assisted by the Reverend Father Blum.
25, 1896, Dallas Morning News, p. 3, col. 4-5.
The bishop opened the proceedings
with the following remarks:
"I feel that I have reason
to congratulated myself and Father Blum on this magnificent gathering.
I feel that there is scarcely any purpose in our going into any
exposition of the object of this gathering. Wherever I have gone
throughout northern Texas during the past two years that I have
been amongst you, one of the matters that always seemed to take
up people's thoughts in their interviews with me, was: 'when
are you going to have a cathedral at Dallas?' That same thought
has been strong in the minds of our people here in the city and
by many of the citizens of other churches. Then, I was unable
to give an answer to that important question. I was conscious
of the enormous work that you had done during the past few years,
indicating an interest and generosity that has not been surpassed,
I am sure (if it has been rivaled), by any of our people throughout
the country, however grand may be the temples that give living
expression to their generosity, for here there was an ever-open
chasm, taking up every cent that could be gathered by the same
self-sacrificing economy of our pastor and our greatest generosity.
We can not provide against misfortune. Our very best efforts
are sometimes thwarted; thwarted in spite of all human foresight,
and although there appeared at one time to be grand promises,
the misfortunes of the time came upon all places, and to such
an extent, I learn, in this city, that many, greeting the rising
sun in the morning knew not whether it would set upon them prosperous
or paupers. Now, however, I am able to make a statement to you
(through Father Blum's energy, it has been the success that it
has); we are prepared to commence the construction of the cathedral
if the Catholics of Dallas say they will give us reasonable support.
The debt of the parish has been so arranged that it is distributed
over twenty years to come at an interest of 5 per cent per years,
so that when this new church is completed there will not be the
slightest difficulty of meeting this debt from the ordinary resources
of the parish. But, now we are in an emergency, and to succeed,
we must all put our hands down into our pockets and furnish the
means to put up this structure. One double service has this venerable
building in which we are here gathered done, but it is indicating
to the great masses to-day, as well as those of our religious
faith, the fact that we ought to have a different and better
place for divine service, and our church. We have grown with
the city; we have helped toward its development. If there be
substantial buildings devoted to business and to habitation,
buildings of beauty of architecture, our people have done their
share toward directing upon Dallas, the name of 'the thriving
young metropolitan city of Texas' that it bears throughout the
country, and, if we have done much in that direction, there is
nothing evident of what we have done in a religious direction.
Al other peoples have fine religious edifices, an expression
of their generosity to religion, and it remains for us to put
ourselves on an equality with these. We ought to be able to do
it, and I hope we will be able. And, as I said at first, this
is the opportunity. What I propose is this: If you gentlemen
will give us $25,000 in two years' time, or thereabouts, we will
be prepared to enter under our building's roof. I want to hear
what you have to say about it; what you would suggest, and any
other things connected with it, if you please. And, if you gentlemen
have any suggestions to make, or if there be any that I can give
you, I will be glad to hear the one or give the other. If you
think we can raise that amount of money in two years, our pathway,
I venture to say, is clear."
A gentleman asked how much it would
cost to complete this structure, furnishings, etc., and all.
Bishop Dunne replied that $35,000 would put up a fine structure,
with a seating capacity of between 900 and 1000. If they saw
any way of raising the money, the foundation will be laid before
Upon a suggestion by Mr. Kerrigan,
the bishop called upon the gentlemen present by name to voice
their sentiments in regard to the matter.
Mr. James Moroney said: "The
main view in my mind this evening, is that we certainly ought
to build a church. It is a matter of importance to us as Catholics;
it is a matter of importance to us as citizens of Dallas. I am
firmly convinced that a good church in one of the best dioceses
will be the means of aiding Dallas considerably. From the standpoint
of a Catholic, I think it is our duty to go in and raise the
money to build this cathedral. From my past experience with the
church here, we have had grave misfortunes and troubles. We have,
fortunately, gone through them in, I think, considering the circumstances,
remarkably good shape, and in view of what we have done, and
in view of the present condition of the diocese, and of the city
of Dallas, I would not hesitate a minute to say that I think
the Catholics of Dallas can raise $35,000 in two years. We can
all save a little, the laboring man can save a little, the salaried
man and the merchant can save some, and save some every month,
and, if when we tried to build a cathedral before in six months'
time, we raised $7500, when the parish was not as strong as it
is now, we ought certainly to raise $25,000 in two years."
Mr. T. F. McEnnis said that Mr.
Moroney had voiced his sentiments. He agreed with him that this
would be of great benefit to the city.
Mr. W. J. Moroney believed that
they were in a position to make a beginning. They had the ground--had
made the investment and they couldn't entertain any other view,
except to go ahead "Let all put their shoulders to the wheel,"
he said. "If all do the best they can, we can put up, not
a $35,000 church, but a $75,000 church. In fact, I feel rather
chagrined at the idea of a $25,000 church." This last sentence
was greeted by a hearty clapping of hands.
Mr. T. F. McEnnis stated that Mr.
J. C. O'Connor had told him to assure the members that he would
do his part.
Father Blum said: "This church
will have a seating capacity of not less than 900, and you know
that is quite a big structure. It will be of the Gothic-Italian
style of the thirteenth century or thereabouts--if your minds
go back to that style of architecture. (Laughter.) While not
so expensive, it will be as fine a church as there is in the
state of Texas."
Mr. E. J. Gannon made a short talk,
the tenor of which, was very favorable to the enterprise.
Mr. M. H. Mahana said: "I
never knew Catholics to make a failure when they tried. I have
lived in several parishes and the greatest failure they have
made was by waiting. A great many people would visit our church
if they could get a seat. This is the important time." He
assured the bishop he was more than willing to do his share.
This assurance was also joined
in heartily by Messrs. E. W. Doolittle, W. M. O'Leary, Kane Shields,
W. A. Rogers and H. S. Simpson.
They were followed by Mr. John
J. Conroy, who said they didn't want a $25,000 church, and as
for himself, he wanted a church that would cost $175,000, if
they could get it. He suggested that a committee of three be
appointed to canvass each ward in the city and also to collect
the monthly donations.
Bishop Dunne here suggested that
he thought it would be best to do something right then in order
to start the project.
As the bishop sat down, Mr. James
Moroney jumped to his feet, and agreeing with the reverend gentleman,
asked that all those who would contribute to the fund to stand
up. Every one stood up. He then volunteered to be one of five
to subscribe $1500 to the church, payable in two years.
This was met with cries of approval and the clapping of hands.
After some more discussion on this
matter, each one present wrote the amount he would agree to pay
during the next two years on a slip of paper and dropped it into
the basket as it was passed around by Father Blum. The amount
so subscribed amounted to $7000. This brought forth enthusiasm
plaudits from the congregation. Two gentlemen subscribed $2500,
one giving $1000 and the other $1500.
Father Blum volunteered to do all
the collecting if he could get a little assistance.
Bishop Dunne expressed his appreciation
of the work done at the meeting, and then led in prayer, at its
conculsion, dismissing the congregation with his thanks.
Regarding this project, the bishop
said at the conclusion of the meeting last night:
"We expect to lay the foundation,
at least, this year. The material will be of stone, with a tile
roof. The form will be Gothic in a Greek cross form--a short
nave and a long transept. Everything is most satisfactory. The
people were enthusiastic and determined to have a church that
will be a credit to the city of Dallas, as well as to themselves.
The probable cost will be $60,000 or $70,000."
From the general tenor of the conversation
of the members, it was plainly seen that the determination was
to make the cathedral one of the finest church structures in
- o o o -
OLDEST IN COUNTY.
Union Baptist Church
at Carrollton to
Celebrate Its Semi-Centennial.
Baptist church, it is claimed, in Dallas county, is at Carrollton.
It is known as Union church and the congregation will celebrate
its semi-centennial on May 8, 9 and 10. All ministers who have
been pastors of the church are invited to participate.
- May 8, 1896, Dallas
Morning News, p. 10, col. 4.
- o o o -
They are Now in
Camp in Oak Cliff
camp meeting at Oak Cliff park opened yesterday with a large
attendance of joyous spiritualists from many points. The hall
was most artistically decorated by some of the willing ladies,
which adds much to its attractiveness.
- September 5, 1897,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 3.
The following is a list of the
campers who have arrived up to date: Capt. A. Whiting and family,
of Ennis; Mrs. M. Thedford, of Texarkana; D. G. Hinkley and family,
of Dallas; Mrs. J. Johnson, son and daughter, of Dallas; Mrs.
Jennie Hurlburt, of Fort Worth; Mrs. L. A. Kirby, of Fort Worth;
Col. J. L. Jackson, Weatherford,; Mrs. Geo. Alexander and daughter
and Mrs. John Bielefeldt, daughter and son, of Ennis; Mr. and
Mrs. Prentis, of Grapevine; W. W. and S. W. Aber, of Ennis; Mrs.
C. M. Hinesdale, of Fort Worth; Edward Tucker, of Midlothian;
Hugh Tucker, Oscar Husted and Carl Donley, of Midlothian; E.
J. and W. A. Willis, of Mansfield; Miss Ellen T. Thomas, of Dallas;
R. L. Willis, of Mansfield; H. D. tucker, of Weatherford; Fred
Bartholomew, of Midlothian; Miss Stella D. Carothers, of Lampasas;
Mrs. Tillie U. Reylonds, of Troy, N. Y.; Irwin Pughtal, of Ennis;
Dr. L. V. Vandike, of San Antonio; A. P. Moor, of Chicago; Albert
Rhine, of McKinney.
Programme for Sunday: Opening address
10 a. m. by Mrs. Carrie M. Hinsdalte; address, 3 p. m., by Mrs.
Tillie U. Reylonds; services at 8 p. m. Speaker to be selected.
- o o o -
Cliff Baptist church will meet Tuesday night, Dec. 21st, 1897,
at the corner of Eleventh street and Lancaster avenue, at Oliver
hall, for the purpose of completing their organization. The following
well known ministers will participate: Dr. J. B. Gambrell, superintendent
missions; J. B. Riddle, general missionary; J. M. Robertson,
Superintendent Bible work; G. W. Truett, pastor First church;
T. M. McDonnell, pastor Second church; H. C. Gleiss, pastor German
church; T. J. Waine, pastor Lancaster church; Geo. W. Baines,
Cleburne; Lucius Robertson, Ardmore, I. T., and quite a number
of prominent deacons and laymen. An opportunity will be given
for any who may desire to join, and a cordial invitation is extended
to all to attend this official meeting.
- December 19, 1897,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
- o o o -
CITY NEWS NOTES.
will be the subject of a discourse by Rev. R. C. Travers to-night
at 8 o'clock at the First Spiritualist church, corner Crutchfield
and Fisher lane. After the speaking, thre will be a materializing
service. Seats free.
- June 5, 1898, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 5.
- o o o -
CHURCH OF DALLAS
DEDICATION OF CHURCH
Second Presbyterian church will be dedicated this afternoon at
3:30 o'clock by the pastor, and appropriate and impressive services
have been arranged. There will be no preaching in the church
at 11 o'clock this morning, nor at 8 o'clock tonight, both services
having been suspended on account of the dedicatory service. The
Senior Christian Endeavor Society will hold the usual Sunday
service immediately at the close of the dedication service. Topic:
"John Elliot, and Missions Among the Indians."
History of the Church.
The Second Presbyterian church
of Dallas was organized by the Presbytery of Trinity, Jan. 30,
1883, with eleven members. Andrew B. Sheets was elected an elder
and Wm. M. Robinson was elected a deacon at that time, and have
continued faithfully in officer ever since. Other charter members,
who are still in the church, are L. R. Wright, a deacon up to
1891 and an elder since that date; Mrs. Wm. M. Robinson and Miss
Jennie B. Wright. The Sunday school was organized Feb. 2, 1883,
with eleven members, and has kept open house twelve months in
the year ever since, the present enrollment showing nearly two
The preliminary work leading up
to the organization was done by Rev. Henry S. Little, D. D.,
who was, at that time, and continues to serve the synod of Texas
as a superintendent of missions. For several months after the
organization, Dr. Little supplied the pulpit, preaching in such
rooms or halls as could be secured until the services of Rev.
David Clark, as stated supply were secured. Rev. Clark resigned
in December, 1885, but continued to serve the church until March
10, 1886, when the late Rev. Warner B. Riggs, who had been unanimously
called as pastor, took charge of the work. This proved a most
happy and delightful union of pastor and people, which continued
until March 2, 1905, when Mr. Riggs was taken home to his crown
and reward. Rev. David Clark died recently in St. Louis.
Ladies Aid Society.
A Ladies' Aid society was organized
March 1, 1883, and a Woman's Missionary society, Jan. 10, 1884.
In June, 1883, a lot was purchased, and a house of worship was
erected, the board of church erection, headquarters in New York
City, assisting with $1000. The church, which was located on
Wood street, near Veal street, was dedicated, Oct. 7, 1883. Later
on, the lot on the corner of Harwood and Wood streets was purchased
and the building moved to that location, where the congregation
continued to worship until it was decided to accept the offer
of the First Methodist church, South, to purchase the property.
April 1, 1887, the enrollment of
the church showed a membership of only 58 members, every one
of whom earned his bread by the sweat of his brow, but they took
a decided step forward and gladdened the hearts of the members
of the board of church erection by resolving not to ask the board
for further aid.
In October, 1889, the Bethany Mission
Sunday school was organized, and out of this effort, the Bethany
Presbyterian church was organized, Feb. 28, 1892. In 1890, a
mission Sunday school was organized in Exposition Park, in the
eastern part of the city, and out of this effort, the Exposition
Park Presbyterian church was organized in March, 1891. At different
times, mission Sunday schools have been started in other parts
of the city, which prospered for a time, but were given up when
churches of other denominations were built in the neighborhood.
For many years, the congregation
struggled under the burden of a $5000 debt, incurred by assisting
their missions, and by increasing the size of their own church
building. Finally, by a untied and powerful effort in 1902, this
debt was paid in full.
New Church Plans.
- June 24, 1906, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, Sec. II, p. 7, col. 3-4.
In 1903, the necessity of a new
church building was uppermost in the minds of all in order to
keep pace with the growth of our city, and in 1904, it was decided
to build. A new location was selected in the residence portion
of the city, and in October, the cornerstone of the present edifice
was laid with appropriate ceremonies, members of the Synod of
Texas, then in session in this city, participating.
It had been planned to occupy the
lecture room of the new church on the first Sunday in March,
but God had other plans, and the members of the church were called
to attend the funeral of their pastor on that day, which it was
thought more appropriate to hold in the old church where he had
preached for nineteen years, and the funeral of Rev. Warner B.
Riggs was the last service held by this congregation in the old
building on the corner of Harwood and Wood streets.
In February, 1905, the services
of Rev. Wm. Gordon Kelry were engaged for a period of three months,
and Rev. Kelry preached the first sermon in the lecture room
of the new church on the second Sabbath of March. The main auditorium
room was completed in June, but the congregation was unable to
unite on a pastor until the 20th of September, when a unanimous
call was extended to Rev. Frank J. Mundy, D. D., then pastor
of the Jefferson Park Presbyterian church of Chicago. Dr. Mundy
accepted the call and commenced his labors in this city the first
Sunday in November, and was installed as pastor by the Presbytery
of Trinity in December.
- o o o -
Was Appointed Pastor
of The First
Methodist Church in Dallas.
HERE YEARS AGO
Bishop Key Names
Rev. H. A. Bour-
land Who Was the Pastor
Key, of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, has appointed
Rev. H. A. Bourland past of the First Methodist church of Dallas
to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Rev. John M.
Moore, who goes to Nashville, in the near future to become managing
editor of the Nashville Christian Advocate, the official organ
of the Methodist Episcopal church, South.
Rev. Dr. Bourland is probably one
of the best known Methodist ministers in the Texas conference,
and he comes back to the First church after many years absence.
He was pastor from 1878 to 1882, when the edifice was located
at the corner of Lamar and Commerce streets, the present site
of the Gaston building.
Until four years ago, Rev. Mr.
Bourland was in the Northwest Texas conference, and it is stated
by prominent members of the church, that he was instrumental
to a great extend, in the rapid growth of that conference.
Dr. Moore's Plans.
- June 26, 1906, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 1 .
Rev. John M. Moore, who will become
managing editor of the Nashville Christian Advocate, expects
to leave Dallas, July 16, if his present plans are not disarranged.
- o o o -
Forty-Fourth District Court.
L. L. Brown,
Pink Smith, O. B. Claiborne and Hattie Shropshire suing in their
behalf and for Mount Rose Baptist church vs. J. G. Gilmore, to
establish title in church and members thereof, judgment by default
with writ of inquiry.
- October 9, 1907,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 11, col. 6-7.
- o o o -
IN NEW PASTORATE
Rev. J. H. Moore,
of Oklahoma City, Is
New Pastor of McKinney Avenue
his text from the Greek words, "Hen-de," meaning "one
thing," Rev. J. H. Moore preached his first sermon as pastor
of the McKinney Avenue Baptist church yesterday. Mr. Moore came
here from Oklahoma City.
- November 6, 1911,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4.
The Apostle Paul expressed his
conception of the Christian life in the following sentence, taken
from the third chapter of the Philippines; "Seek ye first
the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you,"
Dr. Moore said in part.
"The Christian life is the
only realm where all of a man's talents may be developed and
employed. In it, is offered a science of life and an art of living.
St. Paul was the master Christian. Paul had sounded the depths,
and he knew the mission and methods of Christ, yet he said the
true conception of life is in one thing, that nothing matters
if a Christian has one guiding star. The man who follows this
will follow Paul in three things."
- o o o -
CHURCH IS ORGANIZED
A new congregation
was organized in Dallas Sunday when local Moravians and Bohemians
met at the home of Rev. Charles A. Chval and organized the First
Moravian-Bohemian Presbyterian Church of John Huss.
- February 20, 1918,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 2.
Dr. Bernard Rice, superintendent
of the board of publication of the synod of Texas, was present
and made an address. George Kovar was elected and ordained elder.
- o o o -
NEW CHURCH TO
BE LAID SATURDAY
more than half a century, the Methodist denomination in Dallas
has grown from about fifteen persons to more than 10,000, and
how the first church, a building sixteen by sixteen feet, has
been replaced by fifteen magnificent structures, are comparisons
which will feature the ceremonies Saturday afternoon at the laying
of the cornerstone of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South,
Ross avenue and Harwood street.
- October 25, 1921,
Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 9, col. 4.
Into the cornerstone, among other
things, will be placed a handful of the material of the old First
Methodist church, which was razed a few years ago.
It was fifty-three years and one
day ago that the Lamar Street Methodist church was dedicated.
After its destruction by fire, a few years later, the building
at Prather and Commerce streets was erected.
Ceremonies Saturday will begin
at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Officials of the Grand Lodge of
the Masonic order will assist in the program. Grand Master A.
L. Randell will be in charge. Commissioner Louis Blaylock, chairman
of the board of directors, and a member of the building committee,
will be master of ceremonies. Among the speakers at the event
will be Bishop W. N. Ainsworth and S. H. C. Burgin, secretary
of the board of extension of the church.
- o o o -
Pleasant View Church
Organized in 1857 to
View Baptist Church at Fisher, northeast of the Dallas city limits,
will observe its seventy-fourth anniversary next Sunday, June
21, it is announced by John H. Cullom, who is in charge of publicity
for the reunion.
- June 14, 1931, The
Dallas Morning News, Section I, p. 6, col. 2.
This church was organized in 1857,
and for several years, has observed its anniversary with an all-day
The day's activities will begin
at 10 o'clock, with the Sunday school session, followed at 11:30
by a sermon to be delivered by the Rev. H. E. Rockett, a former
pastor. At 12:30, a basket dinner will be spread at the church.
At 2 o'clock, the congregation will reassemble for singing and
reminiscent talks, and a reading by Mrs. Lena Louise Day, daughter
of Mrs. W. H. Fisher, the church secretary.
- o o o -
to Celebrate Anniversary
Celebration of the date eighty-four
years ago, when a little band of people met in the old wooden
Dallas County courthouse, present-day members of the Pleasant
View Baptist Church will have a reunion next Sunday at its location
of the last several decades at the Fisher community, northeast
of Dallas. Miss Lena Louise Day (pictured), niece of Mrs. W.
H. Fisher, and a descendant of one of the pioneer families of
the community, will be on the program. The congregation was organized
in 1847, but its first records burned when fire destroyed the
old courthouse. Its records, kept now by Mrs. Fisher, trace its
history back nearly three-quarters of a century, however, through
the period when it was located in the midst of the area where
the Belmont residential section of Dallas has been built up.
Before the basket dinner at noon, and afterward as well, the
present and some past members will meet for a sermon, reminiscent
talks and a singing fest.
- June 18, 1931, The
Dallas Morning News, Section II, p. 7, col. 3-5.
- o o o -