Exhibited below is a 19th Century city plat map,
detailing the location (indicated by arrows) of the oldest known
cemetery (designated as "Old Graves") in Dallas.
A portion of the site
(located on the old Dallas Brewery site, in block 407, and the
old Hazard Powder Co. site -- lot #1 of block 75/old block #7),
was excavated in the summer of 1970 by construction crews laying
a large water pipe through the area. Urban historian, Alex
Troup, observed the excavation and witnessed the unearthing of
numerous bones by the work crew. Work was halted upon the discovery,
and the City of Dallas was notified. An (unidentified)
city employee arrived at the scene, examined the area, and stated
that there was no cemetery there. The construction project
was then resumed.
A stone crock
jar, dating to the 1860's, embossed with the words, "Microbe
Killer," was unearthed by the workers during the excavation
of the site. Also unearthed, was a 4-foot wooden, hexagon-shaped,
pole, along with a buffalo bone tooth brush, engraved with "Paris."
(Sources: City of Dallas Map
Plat Book, Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor