Search billions of records on

To Dallas County Archives Main Page
To Obituary Index, 1862-1950
To Obituary Table of Contents Page

(Updated June 20, 2002)



     The remains of Mrs. Leftwich will be interred to-day at Trinity Cemetery, the funeral to take place at 3 p. m., from the family residence.

- January 5, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -


A Pole Hangs Himself From a Rafter.

     About nightfall yesterday, the body of a Pole was found dangling at the end of a rope attached to a rafter in Mr. Keller's stable at Oaklawn. The discovery was made by Miss Keller, who, at once, alarmed the members of her family, and they rushed to the stable to find that the life which was tired of living had taken its flight for the unknown hereafter. The deceased was an unassuming man of about 30 years old, and at the time of his rash act, was employed at the dairy. He was known by the name of Billy, but of the hundred people on whose lips his suicide was last night, no one of them could tell what his surname was. The remains were brought to the city yesterday and turned over to Undertaker Linskie for interment. Judge Schuhl having been officially notified of the occurrence, summoned a jury, which, after viewing the remains, adjourned till this morning, when testimony will be heard. Up to a later hour last night, no cause for the act could be discovered. The rope with which the unfortunate man made his quietus was only about four feet long, about half the length of which was tied around the rafter, so that there was only a fall of about two feet.

- February 11, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -


     Eliza, the 5-months-old child of Mr. Tom Trottman, was interred yesterday.

- March 25, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 5, col. 2.
- o o o -

Death of Mr. Clark.

     Mr. J. N. Clark died this city yesterday of a heart disease illness. He was formerly in the cattle business on the Pecos River, but on account of his failing health, he sold out some time ago and moved to Dallas.  He had just completed a residence on Gaston avenue, into which he was preparing to move when he died. Deceased was married about two years ago to Miss Ada V. Rouch, of this city.  He was a good business man, honorable and popular, and he left a host of friends to mourn his death.

- March 26, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -

Suicide of Mr. DuCourt.

     Mr. Emile DuCourt, a Frenchman engaged in the business of mattress maker, at No. 727 Elm street, suicided yesterday at his residence, 732 Pacific avenue, by drinking two ounces of chloroform. He was about 38 years old, leaves a wife and five children and was regarded as a kind-hearted and true man with but a single fault--the love of strong drink. To the latter cause, which appears to have unsettled his mind, is probably due the manner of his death.
     He had been drinking hard for some time, especially during the two days last preceding his rash act. Justice Schuhl, on being notified of the sad affair, at once summoned a jury of inquest, which, after viewing the remains, proceeded to take testimony.
     Mrs. Mary DuCourt, widow of the deceased, was the first witness called. She testified as follows:
     "I am the wife of the deceased; this 7 a. m., he asked me to give him some water; he was out all day yesterday and the greater part of the night, and came home this 3 a. m. under the influence of liquor; he drank the water and asked for a second glass; I told my son Joe to give it to him; he told the boy to leave it on the mantel, that he would drink it in a minute; he told the boy soon afterward to take the glass out and clean it; the glass was empty; I said I thought it was clean, and my son said, "'No, it smells of chloroform;' the deceased then raised up in bed and said, 'I'll never get drunk again.'
     "This aroused my curiosity, and I sent for a bottle of chloroform I had in the room; the bottle was empty. it was a two ounce bottle and was nearly full before emptied; I saw danger and sent at once for Dr. Leake; this was 7 a. m.; the doctor arrived in about fifteen minutes; the deceased was unconscious and never spoke any more; he expired about 10:30; he had been drinking so much that it had turned him crazy; I am the mother of five children, two girls and three boys; his life was not insured and he belonged to no lodge; I looked after his business some; he had no financial embarrassment."
     The bottle being presented had printed label marked "Poison," and skull and cross bones and the word, "Chloroform."
     Witness continuing, said: "The cause of the bottle being in my house is this: Some two months since, my husband had his arm dislocated, which I am also sorry to say, was caused by strong drink; Drs. Leake and Thruston attended him; they placed him under the influence of chloroform during the re-setting of the arm, since which time, this bottle has been in the house; deceased was 38 years old last February; born in France; never tried to take his life before."


     Sworn, testified: "This morning at 7:20, I came to the house and found the doctors had charge of the deceased; I saw him about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, and he was under the influence of liquor, as I have seen him before; he said nothing unusual; his wife sent for him; he was at Camille's old place; he said that he would come home; this seems to have been his place of resort."
     The jury returned the following:


     We, the undersigned jurors, sworn to investigate into the cause and manner of the death of Jean Marie Emile DuCourt, find that he came to his death by an overdose of chloroform, intentionally administered by himself this April 13, 1886.

J. D. B

- April 14, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -


     Mrs. D. A. Cobb, nee Luella Underwood, died yesterday. The funeral will take place to-day at 3 p. m.
     Mrs. Mary Roth, who, upward of a month ago, was badly burned by the explosion of a coal oil lamp, died Sunday night at her home on Main street. She leaves a husband and two children, a boy and a girl, who are 3 years old and are twins.

- April 20, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 8.
- o o o -


Mase Miller Shoots and Kills John W.

     Saturday evening, just after dark, Mason Miller shot John W. Collier, from the effects of which, he died just before daylight this morning. The shooting took place at the residence of Mr. Rose, about two miles north of Eagle Ford. The men had not been on the best of terms for some time, and that evening, they had a difficulty at Mr. Louck's store, but through the intervention of Mr. Louck and other friends, they settled the matter amicably, made friends and shook hands, Mr. Louck treating to cigars to bind the reconciliation. Shortly after, Miller, who had his wagon with him, borrowed a horse from a neighbor of his and rode on homeward, Barrett taking his wagon to drive. Miller went on to the residence of Mr. Rose, but he was not at home, telling Mrs. Rose he wanted her husband's pistol, went and took it from where it was hanging up. Collier had his wagon, also, and had started home in the meantime. When he reached Rose's house, he stopped and went to the well to get a drink of water. While at the well, he heard a slight noise and, looking up, saw Mason Miller with a pistol presented at him. He exclaimed, "Don't shoot me, Mase!" but his appeal was in vain, for Miller instantly shot him, the ball entering the bowels on the right side, passing through and lodging against the left hip bone. Miller immedidately skipped for parts unknown and Collier was taken home, where he lingered in great agony until just before day this morning, when he died. Justice Schuhl was sent for and went out to hold an inquest. The details of the affair our reporter obtained from the gentleman who came after the justice to hold the inquest. Collier was about 40 years of age, and leaves a wife and six children. Miller is about 25 years old and married.

- November 1, 1886, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 3, col. 2.
- o o o -

Memorial Services.

     At the First Methodist Church tonight, the conference will close with memorial services, when tribute will be paid the memory of those who have died during the year, including the late beloved pastor of the First Church, Gen. L. M. Lewis.

- November 15, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

     W. C. Reynolds and Wm. Chapman, indicted for the murder of Dudly Lowry, near Hutchins, a few months ago, sued out writs of habeas corpus this forenoon, and as the judge made the writs returnable instanter, they will probably be heard this afternoon. Both parties can make bond if bail be allowed.

- November 15, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2.
- o o o -

Ninety-two Years Old.

     On Saturday last, Mrs. Jane Mathews, Mr. W.H. Lyne's grandmother, was buried. She had obtained the ripe old age of 92, a remarkable age, when only one, perhaps, in 50,000 ever reach such age. Mr. Smith, undertaker, says during the past 14 years which he has been in the business, only one other person reached that age--and that was a lady 94 years of age.

- November 16, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3.
- o o o -


     The man Numan, who a few days ago brought suit in the district court against a man named Barlener or idem sonens, for $5,000, for unmercifully beating him with a soda bottle and putting out an eye, died last night from the effects of his wounds. Officers are after the killer, and it is expected he will be in custody by night, if not before. Justice Braswell held an inquest on the body and the verdict was in accordance with the facts.

- November 17, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2.
- o o o -


     Last evening, the remains of Mrs. Smith, mother-in-law to Mr. Arthur Border, was brought to this city from Corsicana, and was buried this afternoon at 2 o'clock from Mr. Border's residence.
     Last evening Mrs. Henss' funeral took place from the family residence on Magnolia street.
     Wm. Gillings, 45 years of age, died at the city hospital last evening, and was buried to-day.
     Mr. and Mrs. Everhart, strangers in the city, met with a sad loss--the death of their little girl, 2 years of age, who was buried to-day.

- November 18, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2.
- o o o -

Died at the Hospital.

     About five weeks ago, W. J. Holland, a man of refinement and intelligence, came to the city, and was taken sick. He was admitted into the city hospital and cared for. His disease proved to be typhoid fever, and last night he died and was buried this forenoon. Nothing is known of him except he came from Georgia to this city about five weeks ago.

- November 19, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3.
- o o o -

Final Result.

     The result of the post-mortem examination of the body of Martin Neiman by Drs. Gibbs and Schiff, yesterday afternoon was that he did not die from the injuries received at the hands of Ed Bernier. This announcement will be very agreeable to Mr. Bernier.

- November 19, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5.
- o o o -

Additional City News.

     The man who died at the hospital and was buried yesterday was neither Korpf or Gillings, but Wm. Liggins.

- November 19, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -


     W. J. Holland, a native of Georgia, and W. Lignon, an Englishman, were buried yesterday from the City Hospital. Both died of typhoid fever.

- November 20, 1886, Dallas Morning News, p. 5.
- o o o -

Death of Mrs. Babette Sanger.

     At an early hour this morning, there flashed over the wires from New York, the sad intelligence that Mrs. Babette Sanger was dead, breathing her last during the night before. She was the mother of Messrs. Alex and Phillip Sanger, of this city. The telegram was sent to Mr. Hirshberg, intimate friend of the Sanger family, in order to break the shock that it would necessarily be to them. The death was unexpected, though Mrs. Sanger had been in feeble health for some weeks.
     Mrs. Sanger was born at Dennenlche(sic), Bavaria, Germany, on the 21st day of December, 1813; consequently she was within a few days of reaching the advanced age of 73 years. She was married at the age of 20 to Mr. Eli Sanger. They lived happily together until May, 1877, at which time Mr. Sanger died. There were born to them seven sons and three daughters. Thos who survive the mother are Isaac Sanger, Mrs. Mumsberger and Mrs. Lehman, living in New York, Alexander and Phillip Sanger in Dallas, Lehman and Samuel Sanger and Mrs. Emanuel in Waco. Mr. and Mrs. Sanger came to the United States in 1866, where five of their sons had preceded them, two of whom died the year after they landed.
     Mrs. Sanger was a typical mother in Israel. Her benevolence and charity within her circle were bountiful. Her heart was tender as a babe's, and her love for the good and beautiful was exquisite. The soft touch of the dear old lady's hand was like a blessing, and she shed gladness and sunshine all around her.
     As the silver threads appeared one by one and grew whiter and whiter, so her heart and soul widened and grew with age more beautiful. Her children cannot yet speak of her without shedding tears. Your reporter spent ten minutes this morning with Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Sanger and witnessed the tender heart throbbings as they spoke, oh, so gently of the mother now no more on earth.
     The doors of Sanger Brothers have been closed and will remain closed for three days from this morning.

- November 25, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3.
- o o o -

Death of Mrs. Storms.

     It is our sad duty to record the death of Mrs. W. J. Storms, wife of the freight agent of the Santa Fe Railroad, who died last night about 12 o'clock at the family residence, 960 Commerce street. The body...awaiting the arrival of relatives from San Antonio and Houston....Mrs. Storms was sick only ten days with typhoid fever.

- November 25, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3.
- o o o -

Waiting the Arrival of Friends.

     The funeral of Mrs. Storms, who died Wednesday night and was to have been buried this afternoon, has been postpone until to-morrow, the friends, having received a telegram from relatives that they would arrive this afternoon.
     The funeral of Mrs. Dr. Robinson takes place this afternoon from the family residence, in Mount Airy.

- November 26, 1886, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2.
- o o o -