Search billions of records on

To Dallas County Archives main page
To Obituary Index, 1862-1950
To Obituary Table of Contents Page
(Updated September 2, 2003)


William Seals Deed.

     William Seals, aged forty-nine years, died yesterday afternoon on a farm near Miller's Switch. He had only been ill a few days, and at the time of his death, his condition was not considered serious. He has a brother living in Bonham, Texas. The funeral will be held some time to-day. Interment will be made in Overton cemetery.

- June 24, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 2-3.
- o o o -



Dallas Bar Association Took Action
This Morning.



Eulogistic Speeches Made by Attorneys.
Law Offices to Be Closed Satur-
day Afternoon.

     Vice President T. T. Holloway presided over the meeting of the Dallas Bar association, which was held this morning in the Forty-fourth district court room for the purpose of adopting suitable resolutions on the death of the late M. C. Cullen, justice of the peace. After these resolutions had been adopted, eulogistic speeches were made by Col. R. B. Seay, J. C. Patton, Horace Williams and Col. J. P. C. Whitehead.
     The following four members of the bar association were also appointed as committees of one to present the resolutions to the various courts: Lee Richardson, Forty-fourth district court; W. M. Holland, county court; Ed. T. Harrison, criminal district court, and Horace Williams, Fourteenth district court.

Resolutions Adopted.
     The resolutions, as drawn up by the committee, and which were adopted, were as follows:
     "To the Hon. T. S. Holloway, Chairman, of the Bar Association of Dallas, Texas: We, your committee, appointed to draft suitable resolutions of respect to the memory of Martin C. Cullen, deceased, a member of this bar, beg leave to report as follows:
     Mr. Cullen was born in Washington, D. C., on the 16th day of May, 1850, of prominent and wealthy parentage, was reared in luxury and highly educated. About the time he arrived at maturity, misfortune overtook the family and the young man, unused to work or hardship, was cast upon his own resources. He was never known to murmur or complain, but took up the harsh duties of life as if he were accustomed to them. About the year 1884, he read law and was admitted to the bar in Dallas. He has been connected with the bar from that time until his death. Modest and unassuming by nature, he, at no time, pressed himself to the front, but was never known to fail in the performance of any duty incumbent upon him. On the 23d day of January, 1889, he was married to Miss Minnie Evans of this city, who survives him. There were born to him, six little girls, four of whom survive him. The leading characteristic of our dead brother was his unselfish devotion and love to his little family, and his whole life was absorbed in looking after their interests. He was a Christian gentleman, a member of the First Cumberland Presbyterian church of this city, and was recognized as an unassuming, but devoted, member of his church. At the election four years ago, he was elected one of the justices of the peace of precinct No. 1 in this county, which office he held at the time of his death. It was while holding this office, that the characteristics of the man became known to the public. He became endeared to the bar because of his honesty and justice in all matters coming before him. There seemed absolutely no doubt in the minds of any, as to the perfect cleanliness and purity of his actions. His place will be hard to fill as a citizen, a member of the bar, and as an official. Much more could be said in favor of his character, but this will suffice.
     "Be it therefore resolved. That in the death of our brother, Martin C. Cullen, this bar has lost one of its strongest, truest and most spright members and one whose career can well be taken as an example by our younger brethren.
     "Second. Dallas county has lost one of her most honest, faithful and efficient officers.
     "Third. The church has lost one of its most consistent and lovable members, and society has lost one of its most useful members.
     "Fourth. But more than all, his bereaved wife and daughters have suffered inseparable loss in losing the devoted husband and father.
     "Fifth. We tender his wife and children and all his relatives our deepest sympathy and ask that copies of these resolutions be furnished the family and also furnished The Times Herald and Dallas News for publication. Respectfully submitted.
     "P. B

     After this matter had been disposed of, W. M. Holland offered the following self-explanatory resolution, which was also adopted, after some little discussion.
     "Whereas. The wholesale houses, banks, real estate dealers and other lines of business in the city of Dallas, now generally observe the Saturday half-holiday during the summer months; and whereas, during the months of July and August, the courts are closed; therefore, be it
     "Resolved. by the Dallas Bar association. That all members of the legal profession in the city of Dallas be requested to close their offices during the months of July and August on Saturdays at 1 o'clock.
     "Be it further resolved that The Times Herald and Dallas News be requested to publish these resolutions"

- June 25, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 7, col. 3.
- o o o -


     Infant of F. E. Pierce, aged one month, died June 24 at her parents' residence, 139 Lear street. The funeral was held at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Interment was made in Oakland cemetery.

- June 25, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 10, col. 3.
- o o o -

Criminal District Court.

Motion docket:

     State of Texas vs. J. D. Bourne, murder; motion to dismiss based on affidavits of defendant's death. Filed.

- June 26, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -



Constable States He Shot Man in
Self Defense.



J. L. Runnells Received Wound in the
Head Yesterday Afternoon and
Died Early Today.

     J. L. Runnells, aged about thirty years, was shot by Constable M. Cory, and received a wound, from which he died at 5 o'clock this morning. The shooting occurred about 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Three shots were fired, one of which penetrated the man's head and produced a wound, from which he never rallied. When Mr. Cory was seen by a reporter this morning, shortly after he had been brought to the city, he refused to make any lengthy statement for publication, simply saying that he had a warrant for the arrest of Runnells, on the charge of assault and battery, and that Runnells had threatened to kill him if he tried to arrest him.

Near Seagoville.
     Mr. Cory is constable of Precinct No. 4, which precinct is in the southeast part of the county. The shooting occurred about a mile from Seagoville, near which town the deceased lived with his wife and three children. Sheriff Ledbetter was notified of the shooting yesterday afternoon and Deputy Sheriff James and Cables were detailed to make an investigation. They returned this morning at 11 o'clock, accompanied by Constable Cory. Shortly after the arrival in the city, Mr. Cory waived examination before Justice of the Peace Lee and was admitted to bail in the nominal sum of $500. The bond was signed by R. P. Hull and F. M. Williams, two of Mr. Cory's neighbors, and Mr. Cory was given his liberty.

Constable for Twelve Years.
     Constable Cory has been a resident of that section of Dallas county for thirty years, and has been constable of Precinct No. 4 for twelve years. He regrets the tragedy very much, but believes that he acted in self-defense.
     Runnells lived about a mile from Seagoville and was a laborer. At the time of the killing, he was engaged in chopping cotton for a farmer in that vicinity. He is survived by a wife and three children. The warrant for Runnell's arrest, on the charge of assault and battery, was issued out of the justice court in the precinct for which Mr. Cory is constable. He stated that he had made three attempts to serve the warrant on the deceased, but to avoid trouble, had not pushed the matter.

- June 26, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 4.
- o o o -


     Mrs. Amelia Conibear, aged 57 years, died June 26th, at 157 Ninth street, Oak Cliff. The funeral will be held to-morrow at 10 o'clock. Interment, Oak Cliff cemetery.

- June 26, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 3 .
- o o o -


     Mrs. Rachael Campbell, aged 64 years, died in Cleburne, June 27. The remains were received in Dallas at 11:55 to-day, by Geo. W. Loudermilk, and taken to the residence of C. R. Jones, in Oak Cliff. The funeral will be held to-morrow morning. Interment will be in Oak Cliff cemetery.
     Infant of Lee Black, aged one month, died June 27. The funeral will be held this afternoon from the parents' residence, 154 Dawson street.

- June 27, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 4 .
- o o o -

Funeral Today.

     Mrs. Amelia Boardman Conibear, wife of E. H. Conibear, died at her home in Oak Cliff at 6:30 o'clock Tuesday morning. The funeral services will be held from their home on Wednesday afternoon at 5 p. m.

- June 27, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 4 .
- o o o -


     Mrs. R. Campbell, aged 56, died June 26 at her daughter's, Mrs. Milly Smith, at Cleburne. Funeral from residence of her daughter, Mrs. C. R. Jones, 175 Ewing Ave., Oak Cliff, at 3 p. m., Thursday, 28th. Surviving her are four children, Mrs. Lillie Smith, Mrs. C. A. Campbell of Cleburne, Mrs. Sam Whittaker of Gail, Tex., and Mrs. C. R. Jones of Oak Cliff. Interment at Lisbon.

- June 27, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 7, col. 7 .
- o o o -



Woman Prominent in Civic Life
Passes Away at Family Home.



Mrs. John Clarence Weaver Took an
Active Interest in Free Kindergarten
and Other Industrial Work.

     The friends and acquaintances of Mrs. John Clarence Weaver were shocked this morning to hear of her death. While Mrs. Weaver had been ill for some weeks, not seriously, nor of a serious ailment, her death was in no wise expected, but blood poisoning ensuing the end speedily came, and surrounded by her family and a number of near friends, she passed peacefully away at 5:30 o'clock this morning at the family home, 125 Maple avenue.
     For some years past, Mrs. J. C. Weaver had been most prominent and active in many works of charity and of good to the needy, especially in free kindergarten work for the help of children needing kindly aid, for their care and their education, and for the help of working women in the city. Partly through her efforts and liberality, the Neighborhood House was established in North Dallas, where scores of children, who, otherwise, would have been wandering waifs on the street, are cared for and given the ground work of an education. The cooking school for young women at this Neighborhood House and the Kindergarten Normal for the education of kindergarten teachers, both owe much to her fostering care and helpful direction.

Prominent in Civic Work.
     As vice president of the Dallas Free Kindergarten association, the endeavors of this splendid work for the good and betterment of the classes in need, was a labor of love with her and commanded her best ability and untiring energy.
     As president of the Dallas Federation of Women's clubs, she was active, and most efficient in the work of this Federation, not only as a whole, but gave equal interest and effort in behalf of the individual clubs in their special endeavors.

Helped to Get Police Matron.
     Although ably seconded by her associates and co-laborers, Mrs. Weaver, perhaps more than any other one woman, is entitled to credit for securing a police matron for the city.
     Mrs. Weaver had her heart set on the creation of a juvenile court for Dallas, where the gamins of the street, the little stragglers of humanity, growing up in the slums be taken for trial, or rather hearing, when charged with offenses, and whence they might be sent to a proper place for their care, for their bringing up indeed, that they might not be sunk deeper in the ways of iniquity by contact with the hardened criminals of the city or county prisons.
     Mrs. Weaver, with her other manifold labors for good and duties, was second vice president of the Woman's Forum of this city, a director in the Humane and chairman of the state committee on Free Kindergartens. In fact, her sphere of activity, where there was chance, or even hope for good to others, had no limit.

Came From Baltimore.
     Mrs. Weaver was born and reared in Baltimore, Maryland, her family being one of the old-time and prominent families of that old Southern city. Her father was, for many years, commissioner of public works of Baltimore. She was a member of the Confederate States Army Chapter of Daughters of the Confederacy of this city, and with her other numerous labors and duties, never tired in helping old Confederates needing help.

Death Unexpected.
     Mrs. Weaver had been at St. Paul's sanitarium for several weeks, and several days ago, her condition had improved so much, that it was believed that she could be taken to her home. Yesterday, there was a relapse and it was feared that the end might be near. Efforts of the physicians were of no avail, and the end came early this morning.
     Besides the bereaved husband, Mrs. Weaver also leaves six children, Mrs. W. H. McGrath, Misses Emina, Sallie and Marie and Masters Albert and John, the latter, the baby boy, five or six years of age. Miss Emma, the eldest, save the married sister, just recently finished her education in Washington City, the younger sisters attending school in this city. The boys are too young yet for school.

Federation Meeting.
     A special meeting of the Dallas Federation of Women's clubs has been called for Friday morning at 10 o'clock to take suitable action on the death of Mrs. Weaver.

Funeral Arrangements.
     The funeral of Mrs. Weaver will probably take place Sunday, the details to be arranged later.

Daughters of Confederacy Act.
     At a called meeting of the Confederate States Army, Daughters of the Confederacy, this morning resolution of respect and affection, on the death of Mrs. J. C. Weaver were adopted. Mrs. Weaver was the first associate member of this new club and great sorrow was expressed at her death by members with whom she worked.

- June 28, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 4.
- o o o -


Action Taken By the Red Men of Dal-

     At a meeting of Local Tribe No. 155 Improved Order of Red Men, the following resolutions were passed:
     "Whereas, it has pleased the Great Spirit to remove from this, our Hunting Grounds, to the Hunting Grounds of our fathers, our esteemed chief and brothers, M. C. Cullen. Whereas, we feel the loss of a faithful chief and a loyal member of our beloved and noble order, therefore, be it
     "Resolved, that we extend our sincere sympathy to his family in their great bereavement and join with them in bowing to the will of the Great Spirit who giveth and taketh away unto himself, and be it further
     "Resolved, that a copy of this memorial be put upon the Tribal Records, and published in the local papers, and official organ of the Improved Order of Red Men and a copy be sent to the family of our deceased chief and brother.

                         "HENRY C. BARLOW,
                         "C. G. E
                         "V. G. P

- June 28, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 2, col. 5 .
- o o o -


     The death of Mrs. J. C. Weaver removes from Dallas civic life, a most useful woman, who had enlisted her services in the cause of humanity. Mrs. Weaver was a most energetic worker for sweet charity's sake and she took advantage of the field offered to her in Dallas. The education of the children of the poor through the instrumentality of the Dallas Free Kindergarten and Industrial Association, and the appointment of a police matron to care for the unfortunate women who are incarcerated in the city prison, are only two of the accomplishments for which Mrs. Weaver shares credit. This club woman's reforms were along practical lines and her ability and tireless energy ever brought success to her every effort for civic improvement in Dallas.

- June 28, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 1 .
- o o o -



Knocked From Morning Freight
Train Into River.

Special to The Times Herald.
     The body of an unknown white man, supposed to have been knocked from a moving freight train on the Cotton Belt, was found in the Trinity river, near here this morning. He was clean shaven and looked to be about twenty-five or thirty years of age. His hair was of a reddish-brown color. His rough clothes, consisting of a jumper and pair of overalls, indicated that he was a working man.
     The accident is supposed to have occurred Monday morning about 4 o'clock. The man had passed through here on a freight train en route to Fort Worth. He is supposed to have been struck by an upright span in crossing the long bridge over the river. He was missed by his companion at Bransford's water tank, who immediately alighted and started back afoot in search of him. He walked to Smithfield, and from there, the news was telegraphed here. A search was instigated with the above named results.

Sent to Investigate.

     The finding of the dead body of an unknown white man in the river near Carrollton was reported to the sheriff's office this morning and Deputy Sheriff Charles James was sent to that point to make an investigation. The identity of the man was not known at the sheriff's office.

- June 28, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -


     Otto E. Amlong, aged eight months, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Amlong, died June 28, at 173 Caruth street. The funeral will be held this afternoon from parents' residence, interment in Calvary cemetery.
     Mrs. Sallie E. Weaver, wife of J. C. Weaver, died at the home, 125 Maple avenue, this morning at 5:30 o'clock. Notice of funeral later.
     Iza May, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. I. A. Castlebury, aged eight months, died at her home in Dallas last night. The funeral will be held this afternoon, interment will be made in Pleasant Mound cemetery.

- June 28, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 1.
- o o o -



Accident in the Freight Yards This



Authorities Searching for Some One to
Translate German Letters
Found on Body.

     An unknown white man was run down and killed by a switch train in the Houston and Texas Central freight yards at an early hour this morning. As no one saw the accident, it is not known just how it happened. The mangled body was found lying across the track by a train hand after the cars had passed over it. The remains were taken in charge by the Donovan Undertaking company to be held, subject to further instructions.

Apparently a German.
     The dead man was apparently of German descent. Several German papers were found on the body and some writing in this language, in a note book. Up to noon, this had not been translated. He was about forty years of age, and was apparently a laborer. He wore overalls, and in his pocket was found a switch key, indicating that, at one time, he had been a railroad employe.

Remains Are Viewed.
     Justice of the Peace Edwards viewed the remains, but up to a late hour this afternoon, had not rendered his decision. He was looking for some one, he said, to translate the letters and see if any information could be gleaned in regard to the dead man from these.
The accident occurred shortly before 4 o'clock this morning.

- June 29, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 1.
- o o o -


     Lucy Rena Early, aged seven years, daughter of H. C. and Mamie M. Early, died at 121 Marilla street. The funeral will be held at 4 o'clock this afternoon. Interment will be made in Oakland cemetery.
     Mrs. Parthenia E. Work, aged 55 years, died June 28 at 172 State street. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Interment in Oakland cemetery.

- June 29, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 10, col. 2.
- o o o -



Officers Working on a Clue That
Man Was Murdered.

     Deputy Sheriff Charles B. James, who was detailed to make an investigation into the finding of the dead body near Carrollton yesterday, when seen this morning, gave it as his opinion, that there was foul play in connection with the death of the unknown man. He said that he learned while in Carrollton yesterday, that the dead man, when last seen alive, had $21.80 on his person, and that when the body was taken from the waters of the river, only 85 cents was found on his person.
     The body was in such an advanced stage of decomposition when found, that it could not be held for any length of time, and had already been buried when the officer reached that place. From what could be learned, so Mr. James said, there were a number of injuries about the head of the dead man. The opinion of the people in that vicinity, is that the unfortunate stranger was foully dealt with.

- June 29, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 11, col. 3.
- o o o -



Relatives of the Late Mrs. J. C.
Weaver Await Coming of Sister.

     The funeral of Mrs. J. C. Weaver, who died at 5:30 o'clock yesterday morning, will be held from the family residence on Maple avenue, Sunday. As yet, the time has not been set and the members of the family are waiting for Mrs. Weaver's sister, Miss Emma Smyrk, of Baltimore, who is now en route to this city. It is expected that Miss Smyrk will arrive in Dallas to-morrow evening.
     The Rev. James M. Hayes of Sacred Heart cathedral will officiate. The following have been named as active pallbearers: J. G. Fry, A. A. Green, J. P. Hunter, C. H. Briggs, W. D. McDowell, Vernon Beggs, George B. Dealey and C. J. Juhan.
     A special meeting of the Dallas Free Kindergarten association will be held at 5 o'clock this evening at 296 Elm street, at which time, suitable action will be taken in regard to the death of Mrs. Weaver.
It is stated that the death of Mrs. Weaver was due to heart failure and not to blood poisoning, as first reported.

- June 29, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 12, col. 4.
- o o o -


Translation of German Letters Found
on Dead Man at Inquest.

     The inquest held yesterday afternoon by Justice Edwards, over the remains of the white man run down and killed by a Houston and Texas Central switch train yesterday morning, developed the fact that his name was William Hebecke, and that he was forty years of age. Letters in German, found on his person, also indicated that he was a laborer and gardener, and that his home was in Dallas. The remains were buried by the Donovan Undertaking company.

- June 30, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 3, col. 3.
- o o o -



Escaping Prisoner Fatally Wounded
Late Yesterday Afternoon.



Had Escaped With Officer's Pistol from
There Yesterday Morning -- Charged
With Burglary.

     A Mexican, whose name is supposed to have been Jim Millson, was shot and instantly killed at the corner of Preston and Jackson streets late yesterday afternoon while endeavoring to escape from officers who had him under arrest.
     The Mexican, it was claimed, had entered the residence of Dr. William Garrett at Forney yesterday morning, and among other things, had stolen a pistol, a watch and chain and a pearl-handled knife. Constable Lee, of that place, undertook to arrest the Mexican, who engaged him in a wrestling bout and succeeded in taking his pistol from him and making his escape. Mr. Lee promptly notified Dallas officials to keep on the lookout for the fugitive and hurried to the city himself.

Mexican Ran.
     Patrolmen McDougal and Ivy arrested a man they supposed to be the burglar in East Dallas about 4:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon and started to the city hall with him. At the corner of Preston and Elm, one of the officers went into a nearby building to telephone for the patrol wagon, leaving the prisoner in charge of the other officer. Here they were joined by City Detective Pegues, Constable Lee and Dr. Garrett, whose house had been entered by the Mexican. As they came up, Constable Lee pointed to the Mexican and exclaimed, "That's the fellow." The prisoner instantly made a break for liberty and was pursued by the officers named. They were also joined by Patrolmen Haney and Murray.
     All began shooting at the fleeing prisoner, who fell at the corner of Preston and Jackson streets.
     Sheriff Ledbetter, later in the evening, made an affidavit charging Detective Alex Pegues with murder. Detective Pegues gave bond promptly, in the sum of $1,000.
     The remains of the dead man were taken in charge by the Donovan Undertaking Company and interment was made last night.

- June 30, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 3.
- o o o -

[No Heading]

     Lera J. Beckham, aged twenty-three years, wife of Leon Beckham, of 24__ Beaumont street, died this morning at 10 o'clock. The remains will be shipped to Alvarado, Tex., for interment by Broussard, Beard & Co.

- June 30, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 6, col. 2.
- o o o -



Action Taken on Death of Mrs.
Weaver -- Funeral Arrangements.

     The funeral of Mrs. J. C. Weaver will be held from the residence, 125 Maple avenue, at 9 o'clock Sunday morning to Oakland cemetery. Rev. Father James M. Hayes of the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus will conduct the ceremonies. Following are the pallbearers:
     Active -- A. A. Green, Vernon Beggs, J. Peyton Hunter, W. B. McDowell, G. B. Dealey and J. G. Fry.
     Honorary -- C. H. Briggs, Alex Sanger, H. W. Fairbanks, Edward Titche, Dr. Wm. H. Greenburg and J. H. McDonough.
     Half an hour before the funeral, the various federated bodies will assemble at the residence of Mrs. A. V. Lane and attend the funeral in a body.

Dallas Federation.
     The following resolutions were adopted yesterday by the Dallas Federation of Women's Clubs:
     Whereas, It is an unalterable law that yesterday, today and forever remains that it is apportioned unto every mortal once to die; and
     Whereas, At this time, on June 28, 1906, that grim messenger, Death, who is no respecter of persons, who comes alike unannounced to the high and to the lowly, summoned to the "other shore," the great benefactress, philanthropist and noble-hearted Christian woman, Sarah Elizabeth Weaver; and
     Whereas, As a loyal band of women, who loved and appreciated her many womanly virtues, her great executive ability, and her winsome, gracious personality and the exalted nobility of her generous heart, ever aglow with love and tenderness for those on whom frail fortune never smiled; we, who knew her best would fain place an oblation of affectionate esteem on her bier, for we deeply mourn her taking away, yet, we feel thankful that before her vision closed here on earth, she was permitted to see and enjoy, in foundation and commencement, many uplifting philanthropies and civic reforms which she fostered and mothered; and
     Whereas, We desire to give utterance in some fitting expression of the irreparable loss to our city and State, to the interests of the federated club women of all Texas, for our much-loved and honored president was a guiding genius of work for the cause of humanity and a lofty exponent of the most tender charity and broadest philanthropy; be it therefore
     Resolved, That the sympathy and condolence of the federated club women of Dallas be tendered to the bereaved family in their hour of dark affliction, and we wish them to understand that we feel that of all the great noble women who have been transplanted to Texas from other States, none performed greater service, and in the years to come, the name of Mrs. Elizabeth Weaver will shine with resplendent glory in the true history of this period.
     Resolved, That these resolutions be entered upon the records and minutes of our federation, and that engrossed copies be transmitted to the family, to the archives of the State and District Federations, also copies to The Dallas Times Herald and Morning News.
RS. KATE BRYAN, Chairman;
     First Vice President and Ex-Officio Chairman.

Dallas Humane Society.
     The Dallas Humane Society met in called session on Saturday morning and adopted the following resolutions on the death of Mrs. J. C. Weaver, member and director of the organization:
     "Whereas, God, in His infinite love and wisdom, has seen fit to gather unto Himself, our esteemed and beloved member and directory, Mrs. J. C. Weaver; and
     "Whereas, In the death of this noble and much-loved woman, not only this, but all other organizations with which she was identified, have sustained an irreparable loss; and
     "Whereas, In paying this last sad tribute of love and affection to her, this society realizes that, whilst it so keenly feels her loss, God has lifted her to higher fields, and hers is the gain. Therefore, be it
     "Resolved, That it tender heartfelt sympathy and condolence to her bereaved husband and family in the their loss, fully realizing that the only solace to their bleeding hearts must come from on high, and that we can only sorrow with them. Be it further
     "Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be sent to the bereaved family, and also to the Dallas Times Herald and the Dallas News, and be spread upon the minutes of the society.

- June 30, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 1-2.
- o o o -


     Virginia Lee Horner, age four months, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Horner, died June 29th. The funeral was held at 7 o'clock this morning and interment was made in Oakland cemetery.
     Claude W. Flanagin, aged eight months, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Flanagin, died June 30th. The funeral will be held at 5 o'clock this evening, interment in Oakland cemetery.

- June 30, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -



Will Goland Received Fatal Injur-
ies Saturday Afternoon.



Dalford Flaker Taken in Custody by
Police -- Locked Up at the City
Hall Station.

     Will Goland, a negro about forty-five years of age, was fatally wounded in a cutting affray shortly after 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon. He sustained a long gash from the left ear, down across the breast, the jugular vein being severed. Dalford Flaker, another negro, a few years younger, was arrested by Patrolmen McDougle and Ivy and locked up in the city hall prison, charged with murder. The trouble, it is stated, was of several months' standing, and was of a private nature. The negroes had fought several months ago and were on bad terms, generally.

Met In Saloon.
     Yesterday afternoon, they met in the negro saloon, and with a very few words, Flaker drew a long knife and stabbed his adversary, as above stated. He then fled, and, being pursued by the police officers, took refuge in a lumber yard, where he was arrested. He stated to a Times Herald reporter at the police station that Goland had repeatedly threatened his life, and that he stabbed him in self-defense. Goland, he said, started to draw his knife, but said that he had his in readiness and was too quick for his opponent. He stabbed at Goland, he said, several times, but felt justified in it. Both negroes resided near the corner of Pearl and Runnels streets and had married sisters.
     The body of the victim of the affray was taken in charge by the Donovan Undertaking company, to be held subject to further instructions. Justice W. M. Edwards, acting as coroner, viewed the remains last night.

- July 1, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. I, p. 8, col. 1.
- o o o -



Race Made to Save Life of Injured
Man Last Night.

     An unknown white man, evidently a laborer, was run over by a Texas and Pacific passenger train shortly after 9 o'clock last night, near the Fair Grounds. His left arm was cut off close to the shoulder and his left leg was cut off between the ankle and the knee. He was taken to the city hospital, where he received prompt attention.
     At an early hour this morning, he had not regained consciousness, and little hope is entertained for his recovery. In his pockets was found a bill on which the name of "Blair" was plainly written. Nothing further was found which would lead to his identity.
     There was not witness to the accident, as far as could be learned, and just how it occurred could not be learned.
     The city ambulance conveyed the injured man from the Union depot to the city hospital in a record-breaking run, covering the distance in seven minutes.


     The police, late last night, located James M. Moore, a brother-in-law, of the injured man, who resides at 212 Porter street. Blair's wife was at the residence, it is said. They drove at once to the city hospital in a carriage. It was announced that Blair's condition was much improved at an early hour this morning.

Died at Early Hour.

     At 3 o'clock this morning, the injured man died.

- July 1, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. I, p. 9, col. 3.
- o o o -


     The remains of Willard B. Masterson, the six-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Masterson, will be shipped to Bremond, Tex., for interment by Geo. W. Loudermilk.
     Dee D. Waddill, aged fourteen years, died yesterday. The remains were shipped to Grand Saline for interment by Ed C. Smith & Bro.
     Lera J. Beckham, aged twenty-three years, wife of Leon Beckham, died Saturday. The remains will be shipped to Alvarado, Tex., this morning for interment by the Broussard-Beard company.

- July 1, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. I, p. 10, col. 4.
- o o o -


     J. H. Roach, aged 73 years, died this morning at 554 N. Harwood street. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon. The interment will be made in Oakland cemetery.

- July 20, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 14, col. 1.
- o o o -


The Little Son of J. S. Groce Passed

     The funeral of John Sheppard Groce, was held from his parents' residence, 298 Browder street, at 10 o'clock this morning. The interment was made in Oakland cemetery.
     J. S. Groce, Jr., is only three and one-half years of age, and is the son of J. S. Groce, of the firm of J. S. Groce & Co. insurance. The child had been ill some two weeks and for the past several days, its condition was considered as being serious. Many beautiful floral tributes were received from the friends of the family. Rev. H. A. Bourland officiated.

- July 20, 1906, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 14, col. 4-5.
- o o o -