Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Back to Main Page

 

(Transcribed by Dorman Holub)

     Among the old pioneers who deserve special mention in these pages of history are the old pioneer physicians.

     Dr. A. A. Johnson, of Dallas, who graduated from the University
of Louisville, Kentucky, in the winter of 1856 and came immediately
to Dallas, where he first "hung out his shingle,"; and where he has since continued to practice except when serving as surgeon in that branch of the Confederate service known as the Army of the Tennessee.

     Dr. Conover, who came about 1843 or `44, prior to the organization of Dallas county, settling at Cedar Springs, on the lot where Jack Coles' handsome residence now stands, and part of the old orchard planted by his hands remains to mark the spot where he
lived.

     Dr. Sampson, was known among old settlers as the "hot-water
and steam doctor.";

     Dr. Jerry Dakin was regarded by his brother physicians who came
later as a successful practitioner.  A few years ago, broken down
in health and fortune, he laid his burden down and rested by the
wayside.

     Dr. S. B. Pryor came in 1846. About four years later, his brother,
Dr. Charles R. Pryor, joined him here.  These gentlemen were scions
of an old Virginia family. Dr. S. B. Pryor died here and is buried
in the cemetery of Dallas. The widow is living and spending her
declining years in the State of Arkansas.

     Dr. David King came in 1851 from Tennessee and located on the
Lancaster road about three miles south of Dallas.

     Dr. James Wright came in 1850s, locating about four miles west
of Dallas.

     Dr. James Swindell also come in the 1850s, and located in Lancaster, where he now resides.

     Dr. J. E. Thomas came in 1854.  At the beginning of the Civil War
he abandoned his practice here and went out as surgeon in Colonel
Nat. M. Burford's regiment. The war planted in him the seeds of
consumption, from which he died in 1868.

     Dr. Johnson, who came in 1856, is the only one of the pioneer
physicians now practicing in Dallas.


(Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, pp. 202-203. Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)