Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Back to Main Page
(Updated December 20, 2000)

 

CHURCHES
(Memorial & Biographical History
of Dallas County, 1892)
(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Dallas Methodist Churches

     Churches and schools always speak much praise for our city. The whites and colored people of Dallas have church buildings in the city at which they assemble to worship every Sunday.
     The First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized in Dallas in 1850, by Rev. Andrew Cumming, with 11 members, when Dallas has a population of about 200. The members worshipped in a little house which was also used by other denominations, changing around, one denomination using it one Sunday, another the next, and so on. The first Methodist preacher, however, that lived in the little town of Dallas was a local preacher, Rev. James A. Smith, a farmer, who baptized the first Methodist child in Dallas county, Astor Pryor, who now lives in the county.
   This little church, of 11 members in 1850, has kept pace with the rapid growth of the city, and today it has a membership of 600 and a most handsome edifice on Commerce street. Rev. J. O. Jones, present pastor; membership of the Sunday School, 250.
   In addition to the First Church, the Methodists also have the following churches, which were established principally through the First Church, and each has a most handsome church building.
     The Floyd Street Methodist Church, South, was organized by R. M. Powell in 1874, with 30 members. It now has a membership of about 400; number of members of Sunday School, 150. The present pastor is R.S. Riggan. It is situated on Floyd street, near the Union depot.
     The South Dallas Methodist Episcopal Church, South, situated at the corner of Snodgrass and Cigar streets, was organized in 1888 by Rev. W. H. Hughes, with about 20 members; now has a membership of 300. Rev. W. F. Clark is now the pastor, number of members of Sunday school, 150.
     East Dallas Methodist Episcopal Church, South, located near the Fair grounds, was organized by Rev. J. W. Blackburn in 1889, with about 20 members. It has a membership at present of 120, and a Sunday school with a membership of 100. Its present pastor is Rev. Lee A. Hanson.
     Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South, located at the corner of Trinidad and Philp streets, was organized by Rev. W. F. Clark in 1885, with a membership of 25. Present membership, 300; pastor, Rev. L. P. Smith; Sunday school membership, 150.
     Oak Lawn Methodist Episcopal Church, South, located in the beautiful suburb of Oak Lawn, was organized in 1884, with about 30 members, by Rev. William Cullom. Present pastor, Rev. A. C. McVoy; membership, 100; Sunday school membership, 100.
     West Dallas Methodist Episcopal Church, South, called St. Mark's, was organized by Rev. C. G. Shutt, in 1888, with 25 or 30 members. Present pastor, Rev. Mr. Thompson; membership about 75.
     The Tabernacle Methodist Episcopal Church, whose house of worship is situated corner Main and St. Paul streets, was organized in 1874 by Rev. L. H. Carhart, then pastor. It has grown to a  membership of 250. The following pastors have served the church since its establishment: Revs. W. A. Allen, W. P. Armstrong, J. H. Reat, S. A. Thomson, J. R. Wolf, and G. I. McClaughlin, who is the present pastor. Rev. L. A. Neis, assistant pastor, devotes his time principally to missions and other churches under this first church in the city. M. McKee is superintendent of the Sunday school, which has a membership of 200.
     Grace Church, of this denomination, is located at the corner of Nettie and Ophelia streets. The society was organized in 1890, by Rev. Lee A. Neis, assistant pastor to Rev. G. I. McClaughlin. It now as 35 members.
     Masonic Avenue Church, whose edifice is located on Masonic Avenue, was established in 1888, under the supervision of the Tabernacle Church.
     There are several missions in the city established by this denomination, all of which are flourishing.
     Each church above named has a thriving Sunday School. There are various auxiliary societies in these churches, with a large membership. The most important one of all is the Home Mission and Church Extension Society, in which all join to make a success.
     A congregation of Methodists meet every Sunday for purposes of worship, also to conduct a Sunday School in the Cockrell-Fairland Addition, and the exercises are conducted by the local preachers, Rev. W. H. Howell, M. D. and Rev. J. H. Gibbs, M. D. These preachers, together with Rev. W. C. Young, another local preacher, now residing in South Dallas, have been residents of Dallas for many years, and have done great good and most efficient service not only here in Dallas and Dallas county, but also throughout this section of the State. They are successful and good men, and most highly respected and esteemed by every one. Rev. W. H. Hughes, an able preacher who has lived in Dallas a long time, has assisted in almost every church enterprise in the city. His home is still here, and he is still in the active work, and has always been a man of influence. He is a man of character, eloquence, scholarship and ability, and has done much good for his church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 319-321.
- o o o -


Dallas Catholic Churches

     Early in the 1870s, Father Perry established the first church of this faith in the city of Dallas. Heretofore the members that had been banded together collected at different residences from time to time, and kept up devotional services. But as soon as the membership could afford any means for the erection of a building for worship, the one now situated on the corner of Bryan and Ervay streets was built, and has been used up to this day as a place of worship, the one now situated on the corner of Bryan and Ervay streets was built, and has been used up to this day as a place of worship. A magnificent cathedral will be built soon on this corner, to cost $100,000, and which, it is said, when completed, will be one of the finest erected in the South.
     Father Hennessey, now of Houston, Texas, succeeded Father Perry and remained in service as priest for two years. Then came Father Mertiniere, now chaplain at the Ursuline Academy in East Dallas. He remained in charged until 1889, at which time he was succeeded by Father Joseph Blum, now at Muenster, Cooke County, Texas.
      Bishop Thomas F. Brennan was appointed bishop of Dallas, with a territory of 108 counties in northern and northwestern Texas, in December, 1890. He was consecrated bishop at Erie, Pennsylvania, April 5, 1891, and immediately came to Dallas to take charge of his diocese, and when he came he assumed the rectorship of the Church of the Sacred Heart, and transferred Rev. Father Blum to Muenster, Cooke County. Since that time the bishop has been indefatigable in his labors, and is much beloved by his church and all who know him.
     St. Patrick's is another Catholic Church, located in the city, at the corner of South Harwood and Eakin Streets, and under the charge of Father J. A. Hartnett, assisted by Father P. M. Reagan. These churches have a very large attendance. About 5,000 souls commune at these two.
     In addition to these churches the Catholics have the Oak Cliff Orphanage, which institution was founded in 1891 by Bishop Brennan. The building cost $5,000, and has a very beautiful and imposing appearance. It is situated on a lofty place in this high, cool and healthy addition to the city of Dallas. The plat comprises eight acres of very valuable land, and was donated by T. L. Marsalis, the originator and former owner of Oak Cliff.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 321.
- o o o -


Dallas Congregational Church

     The Congregational Church of Dallas was organized December 27, 1875, by Rev. H. M. Daniel, pastor, with the following membership: Seth Lathrop, E. M. Stokes, C. W. Parker, L. H. Page, Geo. S. Webber, Harvey Page, Geo. W. Jones, Chas. N. Mason, Mrs. F. B. Daniel, Mrs. Ella Lathrop, Mrs. James Stokes, Mrs. Ella K. Parker, Miss Kittie Gray, Miss Ida Stokes, Mrs. Geo. S. Webber, Mrs. C. E. Page, Miss Etta Page.
     The church labored under many disadvantages for several years, but constantly increased in membership. While the members went from place to place to worship in the beginning of their career, they soon found themselves able to erect a modern a modest church building. In this they worshiped for some time. The membership of this church now numbers about 400, and they have one of the handsomest church buildings in the city, located at the corner of Harwood and Bryan streets, and costing, with the lot, $30,000. Rev. Mr. McCune succeeded the organizer, Rev. Mr. Daniel, and Rev. C. I. Scofield, who is the present pastor, succeeded Rev. McCune. Dr. Scofield has been pastor now for about nine years, and is one of hte most popular and eloquent divines in the city.
     The present deacons of the church are: H. Page, Theodore Mosier, E. M. Powell, Will Nason, William Kirkland, Mr. Morgan, Luther Reese. This denomination has established two missions in east Dallas and a church for the colored people in the city.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 322.
- o o o -


Dallas Episcopal Churches

     The leading church of this denomination is the St. Matthews. It is located on Ervay street. The congregation was organized in 1868, by Rev. S. D. Davenport, who held the rectorship until 1877.
   The following rectors have had charge of this Church, and succeeded respectively as their names appear, viz.: Rev. Stephen A. Greene, Rev. Jno. Davis, Rev. Wm. Munford, Rev. C. W. Turner, Rev. W. B. Guion, Rev. A. C. Garrett. There are at present 511 members.
     The Church of the Incarnation is another organization of this denomination. It is located at the corner of Harwood street and McKinney avenue; and the society was organized in 1884. Rev. Edwin Wickens is the present rector.    
     Dallas being in Bishop A. C. Garrett's diocese, these churches are under his supervision. They are popular churches and very prosperous. Bishop Garrett resides in Dallas and occasionally preaches to the congregation, and, being very eloquent, attracts great audiences.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 322.
- o o o -


Dallas Presbyterian Churches

     First Presbyterian Church, situated corner Main and Harwood streets. The congregation was organized by Rev. S. A. King of Waco, Texas, in 1873. Dr. A. P. Smith, the present pastor, was elected to the position in 1873, and has remained in that relation ever since. Beginning with but few members, this church has increased constantly under the pastorship of Dr. Smith until its present membership numbers 600.
     There are three colonies established under this church, namely: the City Park Presbyterian Church; Oak Cliff Presbyterian Church, Westminister Presbyterian Church. These three churches are under the supervision of Dr. Smith and are prospering. In additon to these three there is a colored Presbyterian Church in the city, also under the supervision of Dr. Smith.
   Dr. A. P. Smith is an able and eloquent preacher and has been here longer than any other preacher in the city. He is very popular and always has large audiences. His churches have always flourished.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 322.
- o o o -


Dallas Baptist Churches

     July 30, 1868, a presbytery consisting of the following ordained Baptist ministers, met in Dallas for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church, namely: Rev. W. W. Harris, Rev. J. F. Pinson, W. B. Long and W.J. Bowen. They effected an organization with the following members: E. G. Mays, W. L. Williams, John Hanna, L. B. Williams, M. L. Bowen, C. E. Mays, A. C. Mays, N. E. Collins, Martha Seegar, S. C. Arkard and M. E. Kerfoot, and named it "The First Baptist Church of Dallas."

     The growth of this church has been most wonderful. It has at present a membership of about 700 and one of the handsomest and most costly church buildings in the State, costing $100,000; location on Patterson avenue and North Ervay street. The following pastors have served this church since it was first established, viz.:

1. Rev Harris, elected August 22, 1868
2. Rev. C. A. Stanton, elected October 1, 1871
3. Rev. A. Weaver, financial agent for the church, elected May 9, 1872. After serving in this capacity was elected pastor, assisted by Rev. G. T. Wilburn.
4. Rev. G. W. Rogers, elected January 23, 1876
5. Rev. J. H. Curry, elected January 1, 1878
6. Rev. R. T. Hanks, elected January 1, 1883
7. Rev. A. M. Sims, elected 1890.

     On June 30, 1892, Rev. A. M. Sims retired from the pastorate, so the church is at present without a pastor. One however, will be elected at an early date.

     The following are the present deacons:
W. L. Williams, S. L. May, W. R. Howell, J. L. Williams, E. P. Marshall, E.T. Lewis, J. F. Warren.

     The Second Baptist Church (Rev. A.B. Ingram, pastor), situated on Corinth street, was organized in 1889, by Rev. R. T. Hanks, pastor First Church, and W. L. Williams, one of the deacons.

     Washington Avenue Church (Rev. Thomas S. Potts, pastor), was organized in 1888, with 30 members, by Rev. S. J. Anderson, missionary, under the auspices of the First Baptist Church. It has now a very large membership, and is in very flourishing conditions.

     Lake Avenue Church was organized in 1891. Present pastor, Rev. Mr. Millican.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 323.
- o o o -


Dallas Christian Churches.

     In 1846, Elder Thacker B. Griffin organized the first "Christian" Church in Dallas county, and in 1852 Dr. B. F. Hall organize the first "Christian" Church in the city of Dallas.

     This First Christian Church of Dallas has grown very rapidly here in Dallas and has erected a large and handsome edifice at the corner of Bryan and Pearl streets. They have no regular pastor at present. In this interval, while the church is seeking a pastor, General R. M. Gano, an eloquent and influential preacher in the city, who has retired from the active service, preaches occasionally.

The Central Christian Church, organized in 1875, is the largest church of this denomination in the city. Elder M. M. Davis, an able and eloquent preacher, is pastor. It has one of the finest church buildings in Dallas, costing $65,000; membership, 600. It is situated at the corner of Patterson avenue and Mastin street.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 323.
- o o o -


  (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)