Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Back to Main Page

 

 

(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
ISAAC C. WEST, M. D., is an honored member of this profession and is worthy of the space that has been accorded him in this record of the progressive and successful men of Dallas county. He is a native of Maryland, born in 1843, a son of Isaac C. and Nancy H. (Derickson) West, natives of the State of Delaware. The father was a blacksmith by trade. The mother of the Doctor still survives. Dr. West has been a student all his life, and there are few professional men who have devoted more time to painstaking research then he has. He received his literary education at Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where he took the degrees of A. B. and A. M. Afterward he studied law, and was admitted to the bar. He abandoned the law because of a throat trouble which interfered with speaking or reading aloud, and took up the study of medicine, under the preceptorship of his brother. After a course of reading he entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he graduated in 1868. He practiced for some time before he located in Baltimore, Maryland, and remained there until 1877. In that year he came to Texas, believing there were greater opportunities in the Southwest than existed in the East. He settled in Ovilla, Ellis county; while living there he attended a course of lectures at the University of Louisiana, and later removed to Waxahachie. The success of the homeopathic school attracted his attention, and he determined, with the disposition of' a true scientist, to investigate the system. For this purpose he went Chicago, and entered the Hahnemann Medical College, and was graduated from that institution. He then returned to Texas, and located in Dallas, where he has won large patronage, and met with marked success. He is a member of the Homeopathic Medical Society, and is deeply interested in the success of the entire brotherhood. In his political opinions he adheres to the principles of the Democratic party, but he is wholly independent in his voting,. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a member of the I.O.O.F. for a number of years.
   The Doctor was married in 1870, to Miss Mary E. Slay, a native of Delaware. Their marriage was celebrated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. One child was born to them, Sadie C. West

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, P. 450.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. M. FURGARSON, retail grocer.- - Nothing so visibly shows the strength and prosperity of Dallas' trade as the number of large concerns engaged in handling the staple necessaries of life. Prominent among them is the pushing grocery house of Mr. Furgarson, which is located in West Dallas. He was born in Carroll county, Mississippi, July 2, 1816, being the eldest of nine sons and four daughters born to J. T. and Sarah (Stovall) Furgarson. J. M. Furgarson was reared on a farm in the county of his nativity and remained with his parents until the war-cloud burst in 1861. On the 4th of May, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Fourth Mississippi Infantry, Sears' Brigade, French's Division and Stewart's Corps, and served under General Joe E. Johnston in the Georgia and Alabama campaigns, participating in the battle of New Hope Church, Atlanta, Lovejoy, Kenesaw Mountain, Franklin, Tennessee, and others of less importance. He was wounded at Franklin, Tennessee, and was disabled for sixty days, this being the only time he was off duty during the war. He served until the close, and honorably surrendered at Fort Blakely, Florida, in April, 1865. After the war he returned to his Mississippi home and for a short time thereafter attended school and assisted in tilling the old homestead. His marriage to Miss Ruby C. Lane took place December 29, 1870. She was a native of Carroll county, Mississippi, a daughter of Simon T. Lane, who was from North Carolina, and Caroline M., nee Marshall, both of Scotch ancestry. For one year after his marriage Mr. Furgarson resided on a farm in Choctaw county, the three subsequent years being spent in his native county. At the end of this time he went to Le Flore county and there remained until he came to Texas, in 1878, locating near Wheatland, Dallas county, where farming occupied his attention until August, 1885. He then purchased his present home in West Dallas, containing two and seventenths acres. November 13, 1886, he became Deputy Sheriff under W. ff. Lewis and served as such for three years. In 1890, he made the race for Sheriff but was beaten by about 130 votes. March 3, 1891, he opened a grocery and feed store in West Dallas and in this short time has built up a trade and founded a reputation ranking him in every way but in age with the oldest houses of the city of West Dallas. A family of six children has been born to himself and wife, five of whom are still living:
1. Sarah Alice Furgarson
2. Willie Hugh Furgarson
3. Montague Furgarson
4. Homer Furgarson
5. Robert Chappell Furgarson
6. Lonnie Furgarson died at the age of thirteen months

Mrs. Furgarson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, an exemplary Christian and a noble and tboughtful wife and mother. In his political views Mr. Furgarson affiliates with the Democratic party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, PP. 451-452.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM H. BENNETT was born in Franklin county, Georgia, April 30, 1825, son of Hiram Bennett, who was also a native of Georgia, born in 1798. The senior Mr. Bennett went from Georgia to Tennessee when he was a young man, and after remaining there a while returned to Georgia and married Dosia Dobs. She was born in Georgia, in 1805, and died in camp soon after their arrival in Texas, in 1845, aged forty years. She bore him nine children, namely:
1. Madison Bennett, who died at the age of sixty-eight years
2. Delilah Bennett, wife of Redrick Manning, and after his decease in 1843 married John H. Barlow
3. Sarah A. Bennett, wife of James Cole
4. William Hiram Bennett
5. Clark Bennett, deceased
6. Elisha Bennett, deceased
7. David Bennett
8. Josiah Bennett
9. Mary J. Bennett, wife of William Cole

For his second wife Mr. Bennett married Sarah Dougan, in 1846. Following are children of that union :
1. John C. Bennett, living in Texas
2. Solomon M. Bennett, living in Texas
3. Emily E. Bennett, wife of Isaac Wilkinson, living in Texas
4. Martha N. Bennett, living in Texas
5. Stephenson Bennett, twin of Alfred L. Bennett
6. Alfred L. Bennett, twin of A. Stephenson Bennett

Hiram Bennett moved from Georgia to Alabama in 1833, to Arkansas in 1840, and to Texas in 1845 settling on Mesquite creek east of Dallas city; then moved to Eagle Ford on Elm fork of the Trinity river, next to Arkansas again and finally back to Texas.
   William H. Bennett, was married in Arkansas, September 29, 1843, to Miss Sidney Manning, who was born to Redrick Manning, in Payette county, Georgia, January 3, 1827. Her father, Redrick Manning, died in Arkansas in 1843, at the age of sixty-two years; her mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Wiliford, died in 1837. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Manning are:
1. Sidney Manning, wife of W. H. Bennett
2. Sarah A. Manning, wife of Benjamin Meral
3. Travis Manning

Mr. Manning's second wife was, before her marriage, Miss Delilah Bennett, and by her he also had three children:
1. Dosia Manning. deceased.
2. Bennett Manning. deceased.
3. Elizabeth Manning, deceased.

   - Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 452.
- o o o -


Back to Index
MICHAEL T. CONE.- The beautiful Emerald Isle has contributed to America some of her most loyal citizens, among whom we find the subject of this brief biographical sketch. He was born in county Galway, Ireland, in 1858, and in his youth emigrated to the United States with his parents who settled at Maysville, Kentucky. In 1875 he came to Dallas, Texas and secured employment with the companies then constructing railroads over the State. While serving these corporations he filled many positions of trust guiding his conduct by the strictest principles of honor and integ-rity. When the work of construction was finished he embarked in the grocery business, under the firm name of Cone & Co. and carried on the business for five years. At the end of that period. he went into patent roofing business with Mr. King, his brother-in-law. They have had contracts over the whole State, and every transaction has added to their business and list of personal friends.
   In 1888, without his personal knowledge or solicitation, Mr. Cone was nominated for Alderman from the Sixth ward, was elected and was almost immediately appointed chair-man of one of the important committees, the one on Sewers and Drains. With his usual energy lie dispatched the business of this de-partment. In 1890 the citizens of Dallas further testified to their confidence in his ability by requesting a continuance of his services in the same capacity. There is no member of the council more devoted to the interests of the city than he, and none have given more serious thought and attention to the business under their control.
   Mr. Cone was married in 1885 to Miss Mollie Riley, of Louisville, Kentucky. They are the parents of two children: Thomas King Cone and Nellie Agnes Cone.
   Our subject affiliates with the Democratic party, and is a staunch adherent to all its principles. He belongs to the Uniformed Rank K. of P., and is a member of the Catholic Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 452.
- o o o -


Back to Index
GEORGE THOMAS BULLOCK, a prosperous farmer of Dallas county, was born on a farm in this county, January 19, 1856, a son of Washington C. and Caroline Bullock, George T. Bullock, was reared in his native place until the age of ten years, and then on the farm where his mother now lives. In 1883 Mr. Bullock bought 160 acres of land on the prairie adjoining Grapevine creek, and has since added to this purchase until he now owns about 800 acres, 100 acres of which is under a fine state of cultivation. He is engaged principally in stock-raising, is a good trader and hunter, and an active, energetic citizen.
   Mr. Bullock was married in Dallas county, November 1, 1883, to Laura Dunagan, a daughter of Conda S. and Margaret Dunagan, then of Tarrant county, but who now resides in the Indian Territory. Mrs. Bullock was born in Vernon county, Missouri, and is one of six children, namely:
1. James T. Dunagan
2. David N. Dunagan
3. Robert Lee Dunagan
4. Laura Dunagan
5. Snow Dunagan

Mr. and Mrs. Bullock have had five children:
1. Dora L Bullock.
2. Minnie F. Bullock
3. Maggie Bullock
4. William T. Bullock
5. Ben H. Bullock

Politically, Mr. Bullock is identified with the Republican party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. ?.
- o o o -


Back to Index
BENJAMIN F. GALLOWAY, a farmer of Precinct No. 3, was born in Sullivan county, East Tennessee, in 1833, the ninth of twelve children born to James and Sarah (Barns) Galloway, natives of Virginia and Tennessee, and of English and Irish parentage. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Marshall Galloway, served seven years and seven months in the war for independence, and participated in numerous engagements. James and Thomas Galloway were both in the war of 1812, and the latter served in the battle of New Orleans. The maternal grandmother was stolen from Ireland when a little girl, while playing on the wharf, was induced on board the ship and brought to America. She afterward married Mr. Marshall. James Galloway was a successful farmer, and a workman in wood, iron and stone, who died in 1855. Of their twelve children all lived to be grown, and the mother witnessed the marriage of all but Benjamin F. Galloway.
1. The eldest, Amanda Galloway, now deceased, was the wife of William Spurgin, of Missouri
2. William Galloway is deceased, but his family now reside in Tennessee
3. Eliza Galloway is the widow of A. H. Beard
4. Jane Galloway is the wife of Jesse Crouch, of Tennessee
5. James H. Galloway is deceased, and his family reside in Tennessee
6. John M. Galloway, deceased, whose family also reside in Tennessee
7. Thomas Galloway resides in Washington county, Tennessee
8. Sarah Galloway, deceased, was the wife of J. R. Smith, of Phelps county, Missouri
9. Benjamin F. Galloway
10. Mary Galloway, deceased, the wife of Rev. William A. Keen, of Tennessee
11. George W. Galloway resides in Virginia. George W. Galloway was a Lieutenant in the late war, was twice severely wounded, once in the back and again in the eye, and after surrendering he was supposed to have been shot the last time by a neighbor boy, with whom he had attended school.
12. Nathan Galloway, of Wasbhington county, Tennessee

The mother died in 1870; she was a member of the Baptist Church.
   
Benjamin F. Galloway, received his education in the common schools, and also, when twenty-one years of age, attended the Boon's Creek Seminary for twenty months, when his eyes failed and he was obliged to quit school. At the age of twenty-three years he commenced farming on rented land, which occupation he followed until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted in Company G, Nineteenth Tennessee Regiment, under Colonel Cummins, and participated in the battles of Murfreesboro, Atlanta, Jonesborough, Franklin, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and numerous skirmishes. He surrendered with Joseph E. Johnston, after which he came home on foot, but found his place a wreck. Mr. Galloway continued farming in Tennessee until 1870, when he traveled for three months, and afterward sold goods for two years. He was married October 8, 1872, at 11 o'clock, and three hours later started for Texas, with a two-horse wagon, and December 10 landed at the east side of this State. He came to this county in January, 1873, where he rented land for about two years, and in 1874 bought his present place of 101 acres, with no improvements. He has since added 117 acres, and Dow has 100 acres under a fine state of cultivation. Mr. Galloway pays much attention to the rearing of mules, and also horses and cattle, but is now reducing his herd of cattle.
   His wife, Eliza Fletcher, was a daughter of Reuben Fletcher, of Washington county, Tennessee. To Mr. and Mrs. Galloway have been born four children, two of whom are now deceased. The living are: Bedford F. Galloway and Nathan L. Galloway. The mother died in 1883, at the age of twenty-nine years, and in 1887 Mr. Galloway was married to Amanda J. Miller, of Washington county, Tennessee. Both Mr. and Mrs. Galloway and eldest son are members of the Baptist Church, and the former has been a member of the A. F. & A. M. since 1868, and also of Cyane Lodge, No. 295.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 453-454.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DANIEL M. BAKER, Chief Registry Clerk in the Dallas, Texas, post office, was born in the State of Tennessee, in 1840. His father was born in North Carolina, and removed thence to Tennessee at an early day. In 1852 he went to Pope county, Illinois, where Daniel M. grew to manhood, and received his education. He had just attained his majority when he enlisted in Company F, Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, United States Army, and entered upon a long and severe term of service in a cause which he esteemed of the highest importance. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, and the siege of Vicksburg and Mobile. Early in 1865 he was transferred to Texas, and in November of that year he was honorably discharged. He enlisted as a non-commissioned officer, and was promoted successively from post to post until he was made Captain, and was discharged with this title. When the war was ended, he became a member of the revenue service at Galveston, Texas, and served eighteen years. In 1887, he removed to Dallas, and after engaging in railroad business for several months, was appointed Chief Registry Clerk, a position which he has ably filled to the present time.
   Politically, Mr. Baker adheres to the principles of the Republican party, and is one of the leaders in this county. He is Commander of John A. Dix Post, G. A. R., and takes a deep interest in the organization.
   In 1867, he was united in marriage to Miss Harrington, and to them have been born three children:
1. Lizzie Baker
2. Arthur Baker
3. Henry Baker

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 454-455.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. C. FISHER, who is engaged in farming in Precinct No. 3, Dallas county, Texas, dates his birth in Benton county Missouri, November 1, 1849. His parents, James M. and Eliza (Bennett) Fisher, natives of Barren county, Kentucky, went to Missouri at an early day, and settled on a farm in Benton county. Of their ten children, J. C. Fisher is the seventh-born. Their names are as follows:
1. G. W. Fisher, deceased
2. Sarah Fisher, wife of Alexander Holmes, St. Clair county, Missouri
3. Nancy Fisher, wife of H. B. Lightfoot, of Polk county, Missouri
4. Amanda Fisher, wife of Jacob Job, of Moniteau. county, Missouri
5. Mary E. Fisher, wife of R. Thrower, of California
6. Margaret E. Fisher, wife of a Mr. Foster, of California
7. J. C. Fisher
8. Eliza Fisher, deceased
9. William G. Fisher, deceased

The father died in Polk county, Missouri, in 1868, and the mother died the following year in Nebraska, where she was living with one of her children.
   J. C. Fisher was educated in Polk county, and at the age of twenty-one commenced life for himself as a farmer, which vocation he has since followed. He moved from Polk to Vernon county, remaining at the latter place three years. In 1875, he came to Texas, and at first farmed on rented land. In 1883, lie purchased the farm on which he now lives, thirty-six and two-thirds acres, for which he paid $25 an acre. It is all prairie land and at the time of purchase war nearly all under cultivation. Being choice farming land, it is now valued at from $50 to $60 an acre.
   Mr. Fisher was married, April 10, 1871, to Miss Mary A. Morris, of St. Clair county, Missouri. Her parents, Ham and Susan (Dallas) Morris, had six children:
1. Nancy M Morris., wife of Jefferson Durham, of Cedar county, Missouri
2. Rilda Morris, wife of A. T. Mullins, of Cedar county Missouri
3. Mary A. Morris
4. the next born is deceased
5. Snodon Morris, a resident of St. Clair county, Missouri
6. Hugh Morris, of Palo Pinto, Texas.

To Mr. and Mrs. Fisher were orn seven children, five of whom died when small. Those living are L. S. Fisher and Minnie P. Fisher, both residing with their father. Mrs. Fisher was born November 30, 1851, and departed this life February 27, 1884. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 455.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN T. HAND, Superintendent of Public Schools of Dallas city, Texas, is a native of Georgia, born in February, 1835. He is a son of Isaiah and Hannah L. (Henderson) Hand, natives of South and North Carolina respectively, of Irish extraction. The father was a planter by occupation, but he served a long and honorable term as Probate Judge. He died in 1867. The mother still survives, and lives in Alabaina. Both were consistent members of the Primitive Baptist Church. John T. Hand attended school until he was fourteen years old, and then began to meet the world, relying upon his own resources. He was desirous of continuing his studies, and by industry and economy he managed to enter Mercer University at Macon, Georgia, where he was a student three years. He was graduated in the class of 1856, sharing the honors with Governor McDaniel. He then taught one year in Georgia, removing at the end of that time to Tyler, Texas, where he entered upon the duties of educator, which did not end for seventeen years. The next scene of his labors was the A.& M. College at Bryan, Texas, where he taught the dead languages until they were cut from the course. He then went to Brenham, Texas, and for three years had charge of the public schools in that place. He next went to Corsicana, Texas,and for five years the public schools there reaped the benefit of his wide experience. In 1887, when lie came to Dallas, he he found the schools in great need of systematic organization. He at once went to work with that vigor and assurance which characterizes the tone of the master, and did not diminish his efforts until the schools of Dallas took rank with the leading schools of the southwest.
   Prof. Hand was married in 1858, to Miss Helen J. Spurlin of Georgia, a lady of rare intelligence and fine attainments. Four children were born of this union:
Flora Philo Hand, the wife of J. W. Lambard
Lulu Corinne Hand, wife of Jack Baker
Barton Bee Hand, a resident of Cleburne, Texas
Lillia Belle Hand, wife of Sam. M. Kerr.

The parents are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Prof. Hand belongs to the Masonic fraternity. Politically he is an independent Democrat.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 455-456.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM H. W. SMITH is a truly representative Texan, although, a native of the State of Alabama, born in 1855. His father, Captain W. S. Smith, was a native of South Carolina and a lawyer by profession. After removing to Alabama he gave his attention to agriculture. He married Jane Hillhouse, of South Carolina, and they had born to them ten children; of whom Willliam H. W. Smith is the fourth in order of birth. At the age of fourteen years he went to Mobile, Alabama, and there secured employment in a hardware store, which he held until coming to Dallas in 1873. There he followed the same business until he was appointed Deputy Sheriff in 1878. He discharged his duties with so much promptness and ability that he won the entire confidence of tile community, and in November, 1882, he was elected Sheriff. He had a strong opponent in Benjamin Jones, Esq., and the race was a close one. He served to the end of the term, and was re-elected in 1884, defeating W. P. Cochran by the largest majority ever given any county official. He was especially successful in the administration of his office, and reflected great credit upon himself and his constituency.
   Mr. Smith was married in Texas, in 1876, to Miss Fannie P. Sharp, granddaughter to the Hon. Robert Y. Hayne, South Carolina's gifted orator. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are the parents of three children, two were sons and one was a daughter, but only one son survives.
   Mr. Smith is a prominent Mason, and has held high official positions in the lodge. In his religious views he subscribes to the doctrines of the Presbyterian Church. Politically he is an ardent Democrat. When Oak Cliff was incorporated he was chosen Marshal, and has been twice selected to fill that office. He has been Assessor and Tax Collector of this suburb of Dallas, and has aided very materially in the growth and improvement of the place. He is a man of attractive personality, and is very popular with all classes of citizens. Frank and outspoken, true to his friends, exact and honorable in all his business transactions, his name is worthy of preservation in the records of his county.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 456-457.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ROBERT J. MILLS, as a farmer and stock-raiser, has been identified with the interests of Dallas county, Texas, Since 1873.
   Mr. Mills was born in Daviess county, Kentucky, September 30, 1849, son of William Holmes Mills and Sally Ann (Estes) Mills, his wife, both natives of Kentucky and of English ancestry. Robert J. Mills was reared on a farm and received his early education in the common schools, finishing with a course of study at the Baptist Institute, at Owensboro, Kentucky. He made his home with his parents until he was twenty-two years old. Then for two years he taught in the schools of his native State. In the spring of 1873 he came to Texas, and for one season was engaged in herding cattle. After that he engaged in farming near Dallas, renting land on shares for two years with Mr. Bumpas.
   September 27, 1874, Mr. Mills married Miss Elfleda Ellis Coombes, a native of Dallas county, Texas, and a daughter of Isaac Nelson Coombes. After his marriage Mr. Mills settled on his present farm of 159 acres, which he has improved and on which he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. Six children have been born to them, namely:
1. Allen Mills
2. Ruby Mills
3. Annie Holmes Mills
4. Henry Mills
5. Lilian Ivy Mills (who died at the age of one year)
6. Lou Ellen Mills.

Mr. and Mrs. Mills are both active and earnest memhers of the Christian Church, and in politics he affiliates with the Democratic party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 457.
- o o o -


Back to Index
NEWEL K. WRIGHT and  SON, contractors and builders of Dallas, have erected some of the principal buildings of this city, among which may be mentioned the Third Ward School, three churches, the Jones building, Ryan building, and many others. They also erected the Dilley residence of Maple avenue. They employ on an average ten or fifteen men the year around, and do an extensive business.
   Newel K. Wright was born in Franklin county, Vermont, in 1833, a son of Benjamin and Phoebe (Whitney) Wright, natives, also of Vermont. The father moved to Minnesota in 1866, where he died ten years later. Newel K. Wright left home in 1852 and went to St. Paul, Minneapolis, where he worked at his trade. In 1861 he enlisted in the First Minneapolis Regiment for three months, and at the expiration of that time he returned to St. Paul, in 1862 went to Peoria, Illinois, and engaged in contracting and building, and in 1876 came to Dallas. Mr. Wright was married in St. Paul, in 1855, to Mary E. Hunter, a native of Indiana, and daughter of William F. Hunter, who went to Minnesota in 1852, and remained there until his death in 1873.
   Mr. and Mrs. Wright had three children:
1. Lewis R. Wright, who has been connected with his father in business since 1886. L. R. Wright who is associated with his father in business, spent two years studying architecture, and the firm is now prepared to draw their own specifications. He drew the plans for thirty-five buildings built by the firm in 1890.
2. Wiley Wright, a Presbyterian minister of Mishawaka, Indiana
3. Jennie Wright, at home.

The parents are members of the Presbyterian Church at Dallas, and socially, Mr. Wright is a member of Tannehill Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and was a Mason in Minnesota in 1854, is a member of George H. Thomas Post, No. 6, G. A. R., of Dallas. Politically, he affiliates with the Republican party.
   After the above was written Newel K. Wright departed this life, November 11, 1891. His sickness, heart-failure, dates from February, 1891, when he was prostrated with an attack of la grippe. He was buried under the auspices of the Masonic order.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 457-458.
- o o o -


Back to Index
B. F. BRANDENBURG is a farmer and stock-raiser, and is one of the well known citizens of Dallas county, his post office address being Duncanville. In brief, a review of'his life is as follows:
   B. F. Brandenburg was born in La Fayette county, Missouri, October 27, 1842, the seventh son and ninth child of Absalom and Nancy (Barker) Brandenburg, natives of Kentucky. Grandfather Samuel Brandenburg was probably a native of Virginia, and his father, Solomon, was a native of Germany. Samuel Brandenburg moved to Kentucky, settled on a farm and reared four sons. One of these, Absalom Brandenburg, married a daughter of James Barker, a native of Kentucky and of English descent. In 1827, he emigrated to Missouri and located in La Fayette county, where he improved a farm and resided twenty years. In 1847, with his wife and eight children, he started for Texas, his outfit consisting of four wagons - two drawn by horses and two by oxen - and a spring wagon, landing in Dallas county in the fall of that year. Of Calvin G. Cole he purchasad 257 acres, a part of which is now included in the city of Dallas. He improved that property and purchased other lands until he owned 277 acres, on which he was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1872, at the age of eighty-one years. His first wife died in 1863 and he was subsequently married to Mrs. Patton, by whom he had one child.
   B. F. Brandenburg was five years old when he came to Texas. He was reared on his father's frontier farm and remained with him until the breaking out of the Civil war. He enlisted in February, 1862, in Company C, Sixth Texas Cavalry, followed the fortunes of the Army of the Tennessee and served until the close of the war. He then returned to Dallas county and engaged in farming. He was married March 26, 1868, to Miss Sarah Josephine Merrifield, a native of Dallas county, Texas, and a daughter of William and Catherine (Hickman) Merrifield. Her parents came from Kentucky to this place in 1849 and purchased 320 acres of wild land and resided here the rest of their days. They had eight children who grew to maturity and seven are still living. Mr. Merrifield died in November, 1880 and his wife in 1882.
   After the death of his father Mr. Brandenburg removed to the old homestead, resided there nine years, and in 1883 moved to the Merrifield place. He has a farm of 575 acres of improved land, all in a high state of cultivation. His chief products are wheat, oats and corn. Mr. and Mrs. Brandenburg are the parents of nine children:
1. William Henry Brandenburg
2. Hurbert Walter Brandenburg
3. Charles Lee Brandenburg
4. Lilly Catherine Brandenburg
5. James Franklin Brandenburg
6. Jesse James Brandenburg
7. Oscar Merrion Brandenburg
8. Maud Brandenburg
9. Alma Brandenburg

Politically, Mr. Brandenburg is a Democrat. His brothers, James and Thomas, were killed in battle during the late war, the latter being in command of his company at the time he was killed.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 458-459.
- o o o -


Back to Index
GEORGE W. SONNEFIELD, of the firm of Sonnefield & Emmins, contractors and builders, Dallas, arrived here in the winter of 1885 and formed their partnership in 1887. Among the principal buildings erected by these gentlemen are the Leachman, on Live Oak street, the Blakeney building on Camp street, the C. W. Guild building on Elm street, the patrol station on Commerce street, the Hinckley cornice factory on South Harwood street, the Pabst beer and storage room, the Texas State Fair building and music hall, W. J. Lemp's storage and bottling house, Grant's and Drake's residences, and many other dwellings, etc., in Dallas and Oak Cliff, as the J. T. Dargan residence, Armstrong's two residences, etc. The firm employ on an average about fifteen men.
   Mr. Sonnefield was born in Clay county, Indiana, in 1860, the eldest son in a family of ten children of J. S. and E. (Wagner) Sonriefield, natives of Indiana. His father has for a long time resided in Terre Haute, where he was for many years contractor and builder. Mr. Sonnefield was brought up in that city, learning his trade of his father, with whom he first formed a partnership for two years. He made his first visit to the South in 1879, going to New Mexico, where he worked at his trade. A year or so afterward he went to El Paso, that State. Returning to Indiana, he was married, in Terre Haute, in 1884, to Anna Dodson, a native of that State and a daughter of Elijah and Jane Dodson. Mr. Dodson, a pioneer of Indiana, died in 1885 aged ninety-five years his widow is still living. Mr. Sonnefield has one child, Eva Sonnefield by name.
   He has taken some interest in the political welfare of the country, by voting with the Democratic party. He began life for himself a poor man, and he has also been public spirited and benevolent, and done his share toward building up his chosen city. Fraternally, he belongs to Dallas lodge, No. 70, K. of P., and he is also a member of the Uniformed Rank of that order, Lodge No. 18. He is also a member of the Builders' Exchange.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 459.
- o o o -


Back to Index
TOM CADE, one of the oldest voters in the First Ward, wag born in London, England, in 1831. His parents were William and Mariah Cade, both natives of England, where they were reared, married and reared a family of fourteen children and are there buried.
   Tom was educated in his native country and was apprenticed to the carpenter trade, at which he worked for many years. He later was a contractor and did the carpenter work on the road from Bryant to Corsicana, Texas. He also built several of the finest residences in Dallas, at that time. His residence in Dallas dates from 1871, but he has done very little carpenter work since 1872,
   On coming to this city he settled in the first ward and as far as is known is one of the oldest voters. He has never turned benedict, preferring the freedom of bachelor life. In religion he is an Episcopalian and a representative of the established Church. He takes but little interest in politics, but votes with the Democratic party.
   Mr. Cade is a pioneer of this city and has always been regarded as one of its most honored and respected citizens. He has gained therespect of all his fellow citizens by his honesty and good work.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 459-460.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ROBERT H. LAWS. - This gentleman is one of the rising young men of Dallas, and is the proprietor of a new and nicely equipped board and sale stable. He is a native of Texas, and dates his birth at Dallas, July 27, 1860. He is the youngest of a family of three children born to George W. and Martha E. (Record) Laws. His father was born near Lewisburgh, Marshall county, Tennessee, October 20, 1829, and was reared in that State as a farmer and trader. Emigrating to Texas at an early day, he settled near the spot where Dallas now stands. Becoming dissatisfied with the West, however, he returned to the land of his birth in 1847, where he remained until October 5, 1854. At that time he was married to Miss Martha E. Record, a daughter of George W. and Mahulda (Hedsperth) Record. Her father, a well-to-do farmer, moved to Texas in 1857, and was prominently identified with the settlement and development of Dallas county. His death occurred in 1869. Her mother was born in 1828, and died in 1855. Mr. Laws' father again took up his residence in the village of Dallas, and was closely connected with northern Texas and Dallas county in every step of her prosperity. He at one time embarked in a commercial enterprise, and, in company with Captain McGovern, purchased a steamboat, the "Sallie Haines," which he loaded with a cargo of cotton and other products for the lower river trade. Unfortunately, at a point below the city of Dallas, they struck a snag, the boat sank, and they lost their entire cargo.
   Mr. Laws was elected to the office of County Clerk, which position he filled with entire satisfaction to his constituents for a term of two years. His death occurred February 8, 1881. He bore the enviable reputation of being his worst enemy, which is a eulogy that few can have pronounced over their graves. His virtues were always agreat enough to be always prominent. His faults were always small enough to be excused. The mother of Robert H. Laws died April 25, 1861, and her untimely death was a source of in much bereavement to her family and many friends.
   Deprived of a mother's loving care at a tender age, Robert H. Laws was early in life thrown upon his own resources, to a certain extent, although he was reared by kind friends. He began life as an office boy in a livery and sale stable, and in 1883 he engaged in business for himself. His first venture was a livery, board, and sale stable, located at 308 and 310 Elm street, he being in partnership with T. O. Hargis. This partnership lasted only two months, T. O. Hargis retiring and Mr. Laws continuing at the same place for three years. He then disposed of his interests in this establishment, and became associated with Clark & Cable, at the same time being engaged in buying and selling stock of all kinds. He was made superintendent of the C. & C.'s large sale stable, and this position lie held for a number of years. Severing his connection with B. E. Cable, he opened up the business he is now successfully conducting. He is the only survivor of his family, and is noted for his generosity, hospitality, and bearing of the true Southern gentleman. His early education was obtained in the district schools of Dallas county. Later in life he attended the preparatory school at Culleoka, finishing his education at Swanay, Greene county, Tennessee. He is a member of the Coeur do Lion Lodge, No. 8, K. of P. His political views are in harmony with the Democratic principles.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 460-461.
- o o o -


Back to Index


T. C. WILLIAMS

Mrs. T. C. WILLIAMS


T. C. WILLIAMS, a retired farmer, and one of the most widely known and highly respected citizens of Dallas county, has been associated with its best interests since December, 1845, making at that time his first appearance on its scene of action.
   He was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, on April 1, 1819, being the son of Jesse E. and Elizabeth Ann Smith (Greeg) Williams, both of whom were natives of Virginia, and both of Welsh ancestry. His parents were married in the Old Dominion, shortly afterward moving to Williamson county, Tennessee, in which latter place T. C. Williams was born. Subsequently they removed to Bedford county, the same State, when T. C. Williams was quite small, and it was there that he was reared. His parents had six children, all reaching adult years, three being still alive. T. C. Williams was the only son and the oldest child. After his father's death, and when he was about twelve years of age, his mother married Colonel William Burnett, and T. C. Williams remained a member of his stepfather's family until he was grown. His youthwas spent on a farm, and he received his education in Dixon Academy, at Shelbyville, Tennessee.
   On June 24,1841, he was married to Miss Sarah M. Hughes, who was born in North Carolina on March 24, 1819, a daughter of William and Elsie Hughes. Her parents moved from North Carolina to Tennessee when she was quite young, where she was reared, receiving her education at Columbia Female College, Maury county, of the same State. After his marriage Mr. Williams settled on a farm in Bedford county, Tennessee, where he remained until lie came to Texas, making the journey overland with horse teams. On arriving in Dallas county he first located on a headright in Peters' colony, where he resided until 1855, thence removing to Cedar Springs. At this latter place he purchased land and followed farming for over thirty years, remaining there until 1887. Mr. Williams taught the first school in Dallas county for one term, and his wife has the distinction of having been the first female teacher in Dallas county.
   He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife died on January 20, 1869, leaving to him the care of six children. They had had ten children:
1. George E. Williams, born April 5, 1842, died November 1, 1857
2. Archelaus Madison Williams, born May 10, 1844, died December 25, 1848
3. William Hughes Williams, born September 3, 1846, died October 15, 1848
4. Alice Ann Elizabeth Williams, born January 3, 1849, is the wife of Captain J. S. Dowell, of McKinney, Texas
5. Thomas Jefferson Williams, born January 2, 1851, died September 28, 1887
6. Sarrenar Margaret Oleria Williams, born September 17, 1853, died September 10, 1854
7. Mary Jane Williams, born June 20, 1855, is the wife of J. S. Hughes, of Dallas county, Texas
8. Ben Hester Williams, born May 18, 1857, is now a resident of Kaufman county, Texas
9. Buck Holmes Williams, born August 31, 1859, died August 1, 1860
10. Jesse B. Williams, born Deceniber 14, 1862, lives in Kaufman county, Texas.

Politically, Mr. Williams affiliates with the Democratic party. During the war he served eight months in Colonel Nat. M. Burford's regiment, being discharged on account of ill health. He was twice elected to the position of Assessor and Tax Collector of Dallas county, to which office he was appointed during the war by the Comptroller of State. When he was elected to that office the county was in debt,and county scrip was worth only 50 cents on the dollar, but during the four years he served as Collector the county liquidated all debts and built a $4,000 courthouse, besides having, a surplus in the treasury. This of itself is sufficient encomium upon the fidelity and integrity of the T. C. Williams, had he never done anything else worthy of esteem. Mr. Williams also took the first scholastic census of his county, which was ably done.
   His unswerving fidelity and unfaltering integrity are matters of comment in this day of uncertainty, while his uniformly cordial and courteous manner have only served to adorn his more rugged qualities and endear him to the community at large, and enlist for him the affectionate regard of his family and a host of personal friends. It would seem that he had earned all happiness and that misfortune and death would lay their hand gently on him; but such is the mutability of human affairs that the great and good suffer alike with the ignoble and poor.
   Thomas C. Williams, is the only survivor of the seven brothers-in-law who married sisters, daughters of William and Alcy Hughes, in Tennessee, and who emigrated to Dallas county, Texas, in an early day in the order in which they are named, to wit:
1. William M. Cochran
2. Isaac B. Webb
3. Thomas C. Williams
4. O. W. Knight
5. John B. Bachman
6. George W. Record
7. Levi R. Dennis

all of whom were prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, two of whom were ministers of the gospel, to wit: John B. Bachman and Levi R. Dennis. All of the above named were leading citizens of Dallas county in their day, none of them ever having been arraigned in the courts or charged with any dishonorable act. In fact, the characters of all seven were above reproach and worthy of emulation.
   On September 28, 1887, Mr. Williams had the misfortune to lose his son, Thomas J. Williams, aged thirty-seven years, who died at Eureka Springs, Arkansas. He was a young man of great promise and much beloved, as is shown by tile resolutions of respect, and an article "In Memoriam," which we subjoin:

Resolutions of Respect.

To the Worship Master, Wardens and Brethren of Wichita Lodge, No. 635, A. F. & A. M.:

We, your committee, appointed to draft resolutions relative to the death of our esteemed brother, Thomas J. Williams, respectfully submit the following:

WHEREAS, It has pleased the Great Architect of the universe to take from our midst our beloved brother, Thomas J. Williams, and to transplant his spirit to that house not made with hands, eternal in the skies; and as we desire to grive expression to the confidence and love with which we cherish his memory; therefore be it resolved,
   First, That in the death of Thomas J. Williams the community has lost one of its most trusted and useful citizens, society one of its purest and best members, Masonry one of its most faithful supporters, who by his daily walk and conversation constantly illustrated the truth and beauty of its sublime tenets; and his family lost a tender, devoted and noble husband, father and protector.
   Second, That while our hearts are filled with grief at the loss of our brother, yet we recognize in this affliction the hand of our Supreme Grand Master, who doeth all things well, and we bow with humble submission to his will, trusting and believing that our loss is our brother's gain.
   Third, That we offer our sincere sympathy to the family of our deceased brother in this their great bereavement, and assure them that their sorrow is our sorrow, that we mourn and mingle our tears with theirs.
   Fourth, That these resolutions be spread upon the minutes of the lodge, and that a copy of them be sent to the family of our deceased brother, and to the Wichita Herald for publication.
W. E. BROTHERS,
C. E. REID,
W. A. MCCUTCHEN ,
Committee.

In Memoriam
Died, at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, September 28, 1887, Thomas J. Williams, aged thirty-seven years. The deceased was born in Dallas county, Texas, January 26, 1850; was one of the earliest settlers in Wichita county, and at the time of his death one of her best known and most highly respected citizens. He was elected a member of the first Commissioners' Court when the county was organized, was re-elected and served two years, declining running again in 1884, but was elected a member of the present court in 1886, and served until last July, when he resigned on account of his health.
   To those who knew him it is unnecessary to speak any words of praise in behalf of his memory, for his genial, kindly nature, his fidelity and unswerving honesty in every position of life, both public and private, secured for him the love and esteem of all who knew him, and the entire community united, during his last illness, in their efforts to allay his sufferings, and to testify their appreciation of and respect for him. Mr. Williams died at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, where he had gone with the hope that his health might be restored, but Providence has decreed otherwise. His remains were brought to Wichita Falls, and interred on October 2, in the presence of his family and friends, and the number in attendance at his funeral was only another evidence of the high esteem in which he was held by the entire community. He became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church about two years ago, and the members of his family, his relatives and friends, sorrow not as those who have no hope; they are consoled by the promises made by the ascended Savior to those who trust in Him.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 461-462.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. T. DARGAN, one of the prominent business men of Dallas, was born in Fairfield district, South Carolina, in 1846, son of Dr. K. S. Dargan and wife, both natives of the Palmetto State.
  Mr. Dargan received his education in his native State. He took a course of study at the Citadel Academy, and afterward entered the University of Soath Carolina, where he graduated with the class of 1867. He enlisted in the army in 1863, and served in White's battalion, doing duty in defense of Charleston and the coast. He stood the service remarkably well, being regarded as one of the toughest men in his company.
  The war over, he began the study of law with Carrol, Melton & Melton, at Columbia, South Carolina, but he never engaged in the practice of law. In 1869 he embarked in the life and fire insurance business and pursued it with success at various points in the South until he came to Dallas, in 1875, where he devoted his energies to fire insurance only, being a member of the firm of Dargan & Trezevant, insurance managers, until 1889. This firm built up the largest, business in the South, running over $500,000 net premiums a year. On retiring from the insurance business in 1889, Mr. Dargan promoted and organized the Security Mortgage and Trust Company of Dallas. The officers are as follows: J. T. Trezevant, president; J, T. Dargan, vice-president; J. C. O'Connor, second vice-president; Guy Sumpter, third vice-president; W. W. Rogers, secretary; E. M. Reardon, treasurer. The assets of the company amount to $2,250,000. Their building, which is now near completion, with the grounds, cost $250,000. It is conveniently located and is undoubtedly one of the finest structures in the Southwest for office purposes. There are over 100 rooms for offices above the ground floor. Of this immense business Mr. Dargan is the head and front.
  He is a man of Scotch-Irish extraction and has marked individuality. Ile is a thoroughly self-made man; has been an earnest student in every line of business in which he has engaged; has been a splendid success in the insurance business; and all who know him in business relations appreciate him for his true worth and good business qualifications. He has a beautiful home with attractive surroundings and everything to make life enjoyable. Mr. Dargan is well known in the Eastern cities as throughout the Southwest, his business relations having brought him in contact with many of the prominent men of New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore. He affiliates with the Democratic party, but is not a politician. In 1880 he took the prize in Chicago for the ablest essay on the subject of Fire Insurance, against the best talent in the United States.
  Mr. Dargan was married in 1876, to Miss Teresse Carlton, daughter of R. G. Carlton, of Union Point, Georgia. To them have been born three children:
1. Ret Dargan
2. J. T. Dargan
3. Ellie Dargan

Mrs. Dargan is a lady of culture, refinement and social attainments, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Dargan, accompanied by his wife, has traveled extensively in Europe, visiting its principal cities.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 433-434.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN W. MERRIFIELD, deceased, set-tled in Dallas county in 1849, but was a native of Kentucky, born near Louisville March 12, 1823, a son of John and Sarah Merrifield, both of whom were born in the blue-grass regions of Kentucky. John W. Merrifield, was brought up on a farm and upon his removal to Texas in the fall of 1849, he was thoroughly familiar with all the details of the business. He at once lo-cated on a farm which he had previously secured about five miles west of Dallas, where he assisted his father, who had also come to this section, in improving the land. After remaining with his father until 1853 he em-barked in the grocery business, to which his attention was devoted for two years. He then turned his business over to the mangement of a clerk, and upon a tract of 320 acres of wild land he began the task of improving.
  He was married August 18,1859, to Miss A. E. Hern, a native of Clay county, Missouri and a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Sloan) Hern, Tennesseeans by birth, who were of French and Irish descent respectively and who removed to Missouri in an early day. The Herns came to Texas in 1844 and settled in Red River county, where they resided four years; then he came to Dallas county, arriving May 10, 1849, where the father died in 1859, at the age of fifty-two years, the mother being still a resident of Dallas. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Merrifield settled on the headright he had purchased and he soon after closed up his business in Dallas and began giving his entire attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed until his death. They became the parents of six children, five of whom still survive:
1. Sarah Elizabeth Merrifield, the wife of James Freeman
2. William Jefferson Merrifield
3. Thomas Alexander Merrifield
4. John Samuel Merrifield, who died in 1878 at the age of eight months
5. Charles Boone Merrifield
6. Rachel J. Merrifield

Mr. Merrifield was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died while in full communion with that church, September 8, 1888, not only his immediate and sorrowing family mourning his loss, but also a large circle of friends. He was a member of the A. F. and A. M., socially. During the Civil war he served in the Commissary Department. His widow, who is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, resides on the home place which is managed by one of her sons. Mr. Merrifield first started out in life on borrowed capital, but by giving his closest attention to his business, and by good management, he accumulated a large property, becoming the owner of 1,080 acres of land, some of the most fertile of Dallas county. He was a successsul business man, and his honorable way of conducting his affairs won him the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 434-435.
- o o o -


Back to Index
D. L. STUART, carpenter and builder of Dallas, was born in Lincolnton, Lincoln county, North Carolina, in 1841, the third in a family of eight children of N. T. and Caroline (Robinson) Stuart, natives also of North Carolina. His father, a mechanic and farmer, and his niother are still living, on a farm in North Caroling. The Stuarts of North Carolina are descendants of two brothers, Scotchmen, who settled near Davison College, that State, before the Revolution. Both the grandfathers were in the Revolutionary war and grandfather Robinson was a soldier also in the war of 1812; he was a native of County cork, Ireland.
  Mr. D. L. Stuart, was attending a military college of Charlotte at the breaking out of the war, and in 1862 be enlisted, at Lincolnton, in Company G, Fifty-seventh North Carolina Volunteer Infantry, as a private and color-bearer, or Sergeant, and was engaged in the battle of Seven Pines, the Wilderness, of the Shenandoah Valley, etc. At the battle of the Wilderness he received a gunshot wound which was so severe that he was left on the field for dead. He was confined in the hospital at Richmond, Virginia, from May to July. Afterward he received another gunshot wound in the foot, at the battle of Winchester, an he was also engaged in the battle of Petersburg and at Newbern. He was paroled at Appomattox Court House in 1865.
  Returning to North Carolina, be attended school six months. He was married in Columbia, the capital of South Carolina, December 23, 1867, to Eliza Gibson, a native of that State and daughter of Nicholas and Onslow (Hussey) Gibson, natives also of that State, respectively of Fairfield and Charleston. Her father was a cotton buyer and in later life a railroad agent, and was finally killed at Killian's mill, South Carolina, in 1850, in a railroad wreck. Her mother died in 1862, in the same State. Her grandfather Hussey, a native of England, was a seafaring man who lost his vessels during the Revolutionary war. After his marriage Mr. Stuart settled in South Carolina. In 1872 he came to Dallas, and since that time be has followed his trade. For the first several years he was employed by others, then waa a contractor for a few years, and then worked by the day. He has traveled over a large portion of this State, prospecting, and has become interested in considerable land in western Texas. Has taken much interest in politics, voting with the Democratic party. For this party be is a member of the City Executive Committee, but he is not desirous of office. He is a public-spirited citizen. His children are:
1. A. M. Stuart
2. Etta T. Stuart (now Mrs. D. G. Hinckley in Dallas)
3. Thomas Stuart
4. Nannie Stuart

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 435-436.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM KELLEY, dealer in general merchandise, is one of the prosperous bnsiness men of Dallas, Texas.
  Mr. Kelley was born in Lockport, New York, January 1, 1850, son of Thomas and Mary (Hicks) Kelley, who were natives of Ireland, and who were married in New York. His father, a civil engineer, went to Wisconsin as a surveyor in 1852, and bought a farm and settled on it in Dodge county. He died there in 1862, aged forty years, and his wife in 1864, aged forty-five. Both were devout Catholics. Their family of nine children are as follows:
1. Ann Kelley, wife of John Manning
2. William Kelley
3. Mary Kelley, a sister in the convent, Sacred Heart, at St. Louis
4. Ellen Kelley, wife of Michael Murphy; Thomas
5. Elizabeth Kelley, a sister in the Milwaukee convent
6. John Kelley, who died at the age of eleven years
7. Margaret Kelley
8. Catherine Kelley, wife of James Murphy

William Kelley received his education in the leading schools of Wisconsin. February 6, 1862, at the age  of twelve years and thirty-seven days, he enlisted in Company D, Seventeenth Wisconsin Infantry, and remained in the service of the Union until the war was practically over. He was probably the youngest soldier in the Federal army. Tall, mature-looking, wiry and tough, with a nature bold and daring, frank and generous, be combined physical strength and powers of endurance, and was thus equipped with soldierly traits possessed by few. He participated in many of the principal engagements of the war, wab never wounded or imprisoned, and after leaving the service returned to New York, reaching that city on the Saturday following the assassination of President Lincoln. After remaining in New York about a month, he went to Chicago, thence to St. Louis, and from there to Little Rock, Arkansas. At the latter place be clerked in the Quartermaster's Department for a time, after which he was employed by the Government to exhume the dead Union soldiers and remove them to the cemetery at Little Rock.
  Leaving the Government service,. Mr. Kelley was engaged as passenger agent on a line of boats (also bad charge of the mail) between Little Rock and Memphis, being thus employed three years. The following two years be clerked in the railway station at Little Rock, after which he was captain of a ferry boat three years. After that he took a course in a commercial college of that city, and at the same time was engaged in buying cotton on the streets on a commission,
  Mr. Kelley dates his arrival in Texas in 1876. He clerked in a grocery in San Antonio for nearly a year, after which he canvassed for various articles in several cities. In 1877 be engaged in his present business in Dallas. As a merchant he has been very successful, and has also made some money in the real-estate business.
  Mr. Kelley was married May 10, 1881, to Miss Anna Fleshheimer, stepdaughter of Henry Guyer, of Little Rock, Arkansas. Her father died in St. Louis when she was nine years of age. Her mother passed away in Little Rock, in 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Kelley have three children:
1. Elsie Kelley
2. Thomas J. Kelley
3. Stafford E. Kelley

He is a Catholic, while his wife is a member of the Lutheran Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 436-437.
- o o o -


Back to Index
D. M. LINDSAY, of the firm of Lindsay & Reid, contractors and builders, Dallas, have a stone yard on Pacific av-enue and Broadway, where they dress and prepare building Stone of every description. Among    the principal structures furnished with stone by this company are the Guild and the Jones buildings, the Dallas Club- house, F. M. Cockrell building on Main street, the Sanger building, the Baptist Church on the corner of Patterson avenue and Ervay street, the Barton building and the Simpson, Huffman & Ardrey building all in Dallas, besides a bank building at Waxahachie; and they have contracted for the courthouse in Limestone county, Texas. Mr. Lindsay also did the stone work on the patrol station, in Dallas, on the C. T. Rowan building, on Main street, etc., besides a vast amount of trimming on business blocks, public buildings and residences. He first came to Dallas in 1883, at first working by the day on the Windsor Hotel and the Merchants' Exchange building. About 1887 he forrned his present partnership. Mr. Lindsay was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in June, 1862, the oldest child in a family of four sons of David and Sarah Lindsay, natives respectively of Scotland and England.   He was very young when his mother died; but his father, also a stone mason by trade, is still living, in Edinburgh. Mr. Lindsay was reared in the city of Edinburgh, learning his trade there. In 1881 he went to London for a while, following his vocation, then returned to Scotland, and in March, 1882, he sailed from Glasgow to America, landing at New York. For a time he worked at Cleveland, Ohio, and towns in the vicinity, and visited LaFayette, Indiana, and came thence to Dallas.
  He was married in December, 1888, in Dallas, to Helen Struthers, of Strathaven, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
  Mr. Lindsay votes with the Democratic party, but is not active in political circles. Socially, he is a member of Dallas Lodge, No. 70, K. of P., and of Coa ur de Lion Division, No. 8, of the Uniformed Rank. He and his wife are members of the Second Presbyterian Church. He has always been identified with the best interests, both material and moral, of the city of Dallas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 437.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. C. GARISON was born in Boone county, Missouri, August 22, 1844. His father, W. C. Garison, a native of North Carolina and of Irish ancestry, went to California in 1850, and died there in 1852. The mother was a native of Missouri and a daughter of William Huff, who went from. Tennessee to Missouri among the pioneers of that country. The Huffs were of English ancestry.
  When J. C. Garison was nine years old he was left an orphan. and at that age was thrown upon his own resources. In 1859 he started across the plains to California, assisting in driving a large herd of cattle and being from May until the following November in making the journey. After arriving in California lie worked at various occupations for eight years; attended school two years of the time; returned to Missouri, and in 1869 came to Texas, locating in Lisbon, Dallas county, where he engaged in farming. He was married July 9, 1874, to Miss Sally Pallord, a native of Virginia and a daughter of T. J. and Elizabeth Pallord, early settlers of Dallas county. After his marriage he lived near Lisbon for one year, then moved to Cedar Creek, near Oak Cliff, where he lived fourteen years, and in, 1888 sold out and purchased his present farm. Here he owns 314 acres of improved land, 200 acres of which are under cultivation.
  Mr. and Mrs. Garison are the parents of three children:
1. Nellie Garison
2. Ida Garison
3. Clyde Garison

Mr. Garison is associated with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of the Tannehill Lodge. Mrs. Gari8on is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 437-438.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. W. EDMONDSON, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser, has been identified with the interests of Dallas county since 1850. He is a native of Tennessee, born in Shelbyville, November 17, 1839, the oldest son of W. T. and Sarah A. (Davis) Edmondson. When he was eleven years old be with his father's family started for Texas and after spending one season in Louisiana arrived in Dallas. Here he was reared and received his early education, com-pleting his studies at Baylor University, In-dependence, Texas. In 1860 he went to Tennessee to attend school, but the war came on and he returned to Texas, and in 1861 enlisted in Company C, Colonel Dannell's Regiment. He served in the Indian Nation, in Arkansas and Louisiana, and at the close of the war camehome with the rank of Captain.
  December 23, 1865, Mr. Edmondson married Miss Bettie H. Miller, a daughter of William B. Miller. After his marriage Mr. Edmondson settled at Cedar Springs and remained there one year. Then he located on the old place where Mrs. Edmondson departed this life September 5, 1872, leaving one child, John Franklin, born September 21.1867, who now holds a position in the Ninth National Bank of Dallas. After the death of his wife Mr. Edmondson moved to his present farm and built the home he now occupies. Here he owns 8251 acres of land, which is devoted to general farming.
  Politically be is a Democrat.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 438.
- o o o -


Back to Index
BENJAMIN L. BRANSON, a member of one of the pioneer families of Dallas county, is a farmer and stock-raiser and lives in Precinct No. 5, his post office being Wheatland.
  Mr. Branson was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, October 7, 1850, son of Thomas and Louisa (Cole) Branson. When he was three years old he was brought by his parents to Texas, and was reared on a farm in Dallas county. His education was obtained in the common schools and completed at Mansfield, Tarrant county, this State. His father died in 1864 and the following year his mother passed away. He, however, continued to reside on the old homestead until 1875 at which time he engaged in farming for himself on a part of the land his father had owned. He now has a farm of 280 acres of well improved and highly cultivated land, or, which he is engaged in general farming. He also owns twenty-five acres of timber land. Mr. Branson was married, November 14, 1886, to Miss S. K. Davis, a native of Tennessee. Although born in Tennessee, she was reared in Tarrant county, having been brought here in 1858, when an infant, by her parents, P. G. and Caroline Davis. Their union has been blessed with three children:
1. Carrie Louise Branson
2. Tom Branson
3. Ada Mozelle Branson

Mr. and Mrs. Branson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Fraternally, he is associated with the A. F. & A. M.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 438-439.
- o o o -


Back to Index
FAYETTE ROBERT ROWLEY, a prominent citizen of Dallas, was born in New York State in 1840, son of Robert S. and Sophia (Taylor) Rowley. His father, a native of Connecticut, moved to Ohio early in life, was married there and returned to New York and afterward to Ohio again. He finally died in Texas, in 1885, at the age of seventy years. By occupation he was a farmer and stock-raiser. His wife, a native of Ohio, is still a resident of that State.
  Mr. Lafayette R. Rowley, received a good education, followed clerking for a while, taught school two years, and in 1876 came to Dallas as a representative of Russell &  Co., of Massillon, Ohio, with headquarters here, having as his territory the States of Texas and Louisiana, Indian Territory and old Mexico. In big extensive travels in the interest of his company he saw many queer and startling scenes in pioneer life. His engines and threshers were often moved over 100 miles by eight or ten yoke cf oxen, that had brought in loads of buffalo hides. Ill health at length compelled him to abandon his hard, itinerant work. In 1889 he was unanimously chosen by the City Council of Dallas as Auditor, which position he filled with greater fidelity, perhaps, than they had ever before. He had three and a half years experience as Alderman, being Chairman of the Committee on Finance and Municipal Affairs. In the discharge of his official duties he was careful, conscientious and energetic.
  For his home he purchased eight acres of the Eakin tract, adjoining the city park, and on that lovely spot built an elegant residence, which he now occupies. The premises are embellished with flowers and furnished with all that culture could dictate. It is indeed an ideal home one of the kind that trains the best class of citizens, and to which his children will ever turn with pleasure.
  Mr. Rowley has been a member of the Masonic order for twenty-eight years, and of the order of the Knights of Pythias for ten years; he has represented the last named several years in the grand lodge. On national questions he is a Republican, but locally he votes for the "best man." No man in Dallas county is more popular than Mr. Rowley.
  He was married in 1862 to Miss Maria S. Ensign, of Ohio, a woman of sterling worth, than whom no one is more highly esteemed. The children by this marriage are:
1. Robert E. Rowley, who died at the age of thirteen years
2. Sophia E. Rowley, now Mrs. P. G. Gordon, of New York
3. Emma E. Rowley
4. Mary E. Rowley, who died in infancy,
5. Fayette Robert Rowley, Jr

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 439.
- o o o -


Back to Index
G. W. FLEMING, farmer and stockraiser, Dallas, Dallas county, Texas, dates his birth in Knox county, east Tennessee, September 2, 1827. He is the oldest of the family of eight children born to Washington S. and Ruth (Brown) Fleming, natives of Tennessee and Virginia respectively and of English and Scotch ancestry. When he was fourteen years old his parents removed to Montgomery county, Illinois, where be was reared on the farm and educated in the subscription schools, held in primitive log schoolhouses, remaining a member of his father's household until he reached his twenty-fifth year.
  In 1854 Mr. Fleming came to Texas, traveling through with teams and being thirty days enroute. For two years be rented land, after which he went to the western part of the State and spent one year in what is now Jack county, then unexplored and inhabited chiefly by Indians and wild animals. From that place he came back to Dallas county and purchased ninety-six acres of wild land, at once beginning to make improvements on it. He was married September 30, 1856, to Miss C. J. Britain, daughter of Joseph Britain. After his marriage lie settled on his present farm, which, from its wild State he has brought to a high standard of development. An attractive feature of his place is a fine grove of shade-trees which he planted. As a curiosity we may mention here that Mrs. Fleming adorns her house with a beautiful hair wreath, consisting of locks of hair taken from 117 different members of five generations of the family.
  To Mr. and Mrs. Fleming, three children were born, two of whom are still living:
1. Rachel Anna Fleming, the eldest daughter, was born December 5, 1857 in 1881, was united in marriage to Mr. C. E. Logan (son of Dr. A. R. Logan), of Davenport, Iowa; five children blessed this union, four of whom are still living: three girls and one boy. Mrs. Logan is a member of the Christian Church.
2. Lee Fleming, second child, a son, born Deceniber 25, 1866, in Dallas county, Texas, died in Pana, Illinois, July 13, 1868, aged one year and seven months
3. Shular V. Fleming, the youngest son, was born in Dallas county, Texas, April 9, 1871, and resides with his parents on the old home place.

Mr. and Mrs. Fleming have twice made the trip back to Illinois with teams since they took up their abode in Texas. In politics be is independent. Mrs. Fleming is a member of the Christian Church.
  In connection with the history of Mr. Fleming's parents, it should be further stated that his father died in 1864, aged sixty-one years, and his mother is still living, in Illinois, having reached the advanced age of eighty-six years. She retains her mental and physical powers to a remarkable degree. Seven of their eight children still survive. She has forty-six grandchildren, twenty-eight of whom are living, and she has twenty-four great-grandchildren, of whom twenty-one are living.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 439-440.
- o o o -


Back to Index
MOSES GOODFELLOW, of Dallas county, was born in Meigs county, Ohio, January 12, 1820, a son of Peter B. and Annie (Crow) Goodfellow. The father, a native of New York, moved to Meigs county, Ohio, at an early date, later to Mason county, Virginia, and in 1841 to Randolph county, Missouri, where be died in 1869, at tile age of eighty-five years. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, for which he received head warrants in Arkansas. Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow were married in New York, and the wife accompanied her husband in all his moves, sharing his fortunes, and survived, him eight years, dying in Randolph county, Missouri, in July, 1877, at the age of eighty-four years. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow are:
1. Melanethon Goodfellow
2. Susan Goodfellow
3. Moses Goodfellow
4. John Goodfellow
5. Peter Goodfellow
6. Adam Goodfellow
7. James Goodfellow
8. Mary Goodfellow

All the children are now deceased except Moses Goodfellow and a sister, Susan Goodfellow, who is now the widow of Francis Wolf, and resides in Randolph county, Missouri.
  Moses Goodfellow settled in Missouri when a young man, and in the fall of 1860 he came to Dallas county. Before coming to this State, he traded for 205 acres of land in Dallas county, and to this be has since added uutil he now owns, 276 acres on Grapevine Prairie, about one-half of which is in cultivation, and the remainder in pasture. Mr. Goodfellow also owns ninety acres of timber land near his homestead, and forty-five acres on the West Fork of the Trinity. He has done all the improving on his home place, having fenced the entire tract, cultivated about 100 acres, set out a fine orchard, and erected a comfortable, two-story frame house.
  Mr. Goodfellow was married in Missouri, November 25, 1846, to Nancy Beale, who was born in Boone county, Kentucky, December 16, 1828. She was taken by her parents, Thomas and Lucy Beale, to Missouri when ten years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow have reared a large family of children, all of whom are now grown, and most of whom are married. They are as follows:
1. Orillia Goodfellow, born February 7, 1848
2. Lucy Ann Goodfellow, January 20, 1850. Lucy Ann died October 11, 1870.
3. William B. Goodfellow May 16, 1852. William B. married Sarah E. Jasper, of Dallas county.
4. Sarah Nancy Goodfellow, June 29, 1854. Sarah Nancy died September 17, 1880;
5. John James Goodfellow, August 11, 1856. John James was married December 20, 1882, to Lou Swan, of Tarrant county.
6. Thomas Peter Goodfellow, February 15, 1859. Thomas Peter was married February 27, 1889, to Idelia Burgoon.
7. Mary Frances Goodfellow, August 26, 1861. Mary Frances was the wife of Isaac D. Houston, of Tarrant county;  She died October 22, 1882.
8. Mosettie Goodfellow, March 12, 1864. Mosettie was married to William Lucas, of Dallas county, October 20, 1886.
9. Robert Goodfellow, March 26, 1867. Robert married Fannie Foster, of Coleman county, Texas, March 26, 1891.

.Mr. and Mrs. Goodfellow are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, the former having been baptized at Sweet Springs Church, Randolph county, Missouri, October 12, 1849, and the latter at Bear Creek Church, Tarrant county, July 27, 1875.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 440-441.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN B. MAY was born in Bowling Green, Kentucky, November 1, 1847, and was seven months old when his parents emigrated to Texas. They first settled in Bonham and after remaining there two years moved to McKinney. They soon afterward located in Dallas county, and there John B. was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. When a boy he was full of energy and push, and since grown has been engaged in various enterprises, always making a success of whatever he undertook. After his marriage, which occurred January 6, 1869, he engaged in farming. He subsequently turned his attention to the grocery business and conducted a store two years. He afterward ran a market house at Dallas. Next we find him in Palo Pinto county, west Texas, conducting a cattle ranch. In 1881 he returned to Dallas, farmed one year and then sold groceries two years. In 1884 he moved to Farmers' Branch, where he has since remained and is now the leading merchant and produce dealer of the place. During the season of 1890 he bought about 400 bales of cotton, fully one half of all that was sold at this market. The grain crop of 1890 being a failure, he shipped corn from Kansas and sold to farmers here for their stock. Mr. May has recently built a fine residence. He also owns his store building.
  His father, Andrew J. May, was a native of Kentucky. He taught school in his early life, and after be was able to buy a farm he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. After an active and useful life he died, near the city of Dallas, in February, 1863. During the war be served from 1861 until the time of his death. He was detailed to im-portant branches of the Confederate service, his duty being chiefly in the vicinity of his home. His wife was before her marriage Miss Mary White. Her father was one of the earliest pioneers of Texas. After his death his daughter returned to Kentucky, where Mr. May met and married her, and they then came back to Texas, as above stated. Their union was blessed with seven children, three sons and four daughters, all of whom are living and filling honorable positions in life. Their names are as follows:
1. John B. May
2. Eliza J. May, wife of B. F. Jones, an ex-Sheriff of Dallas county
3. Benjamin A. May, who resides in Dallas
4. Bell May, wife of J. B. Slanter, reside, in Colorado City
5. Davis W. May, who is engaged in the real estate business in San Antonio
6. Lulu May, a resident of Dallas
7. Sally May, who married Thomas Scurlock and is now living at Cleburne, Johnson county, Texas.

John B. May married Miss Sally A. Thompson, daughter of M. M. Thompson of Tennessee. Her father came to Texas before the war and was prominent in many enteprises here. His death occurred in 1886. This happy union has resulted in the birth of eight children, seven of whom are still living. Their names are
Byron May
Allie May. Allie is the wife of M. W. Cox, a Dallas county farmer.
Minnie May
Jennie B. May
Lela May
Edward May
Lee May
Annie May
Lee May died in 1889, at the age of two years

The others are all at home with their parents.
  Politically, Mr. May affiliates with the Democratic party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 441-442.
- o o o -


Back to Index
MONTIOLLION SHAWVER, a farmer of Precinct No. 3, also interested in a large cattle ranch in Baylor county, Texas, was born in Missouri, a son of John and Caroline (Walker) Shawver, natives of Virginia and of English parentage. The father came to Missouri in an early day and settled in Macon county, eight miles from the city of Macon, where he engaged in farming. He served as Justice of the Peace of his precinct, and became prominently identified with the growth and development of his county. The parents had ten children, namely:
Benton Shawver, deceased
Amanda Shawver, the wife of L. C. Ebrite, of Mesquite
Daniel Shawver, deceased
Elisha Shawver, deceased
John Shawver, who resides in Baylor county, Texas
George Shawver, a resident of this township
Nannie Shawver, the wife of Richard Mathews
Montiollion Shawver
Lora Shawver, in Dallas county
Robert Shawver, who resides in Baylor county.

The father came to this State in 1869, locating north of Dallas for two years, and in 1871 bought 260 acres of land east of Mesquite, paying from $5 to $10 per acre. His death occurred in 1880, at the age of eighty years, and his wife died in 1872, at the age of fifty years.
  Montiollion Shawver was educated in the common schools,of his native county,and at the age of twenty-one years commenced life for himself. He remained on his father's farm until 1883, when he removed to Baylor county, and in company with his brothers, Robert and John, conducted a ranch, owning one section of land. Thirty acres of this land is improved, and part is sown in Johnson grass and the remainder is in pasture. The brothers also own about 4,200 head of cattle of all ages.
  Mr. Shawver was married in 1881, to Linnie Rowe, a daughter of William and Emily (McDaniel) Rowe, natives of Tennessee and Illinois. The parents carne to this State about the same time, where they were married, in 1845, and the next year settled on the place now owned by our Montiollion Shawver, consisting of 160 acres. Mr. Rowe first erected a log house, not having built a frame dwelling till after the war. Before the war he owned 550 acres of land, one of the finest farms in the county, where he erected good buildings, etc. He died July 21, 1888, at the age of sixty years, and his wife died in 1889. They were the parents of three children:
1. Linnie Rowe, wife of Mr. Shawver
2. W. S. Rowe, of Dallas
3. Emma Rowe, the wife of A. F. Cross, also of Dallas.

Mr. and Mrs. Shawver are the parents of three children: Emma L., M. R. and Veda C.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 442-443.
- o o o -


Back to Index
LUDOVIC C. LEEDS, one of the most enterprising and energetic of Dallas city's business men, was born in New York city, in 1842, and is a son of Alexander and Susan E. Leeds. The father is a native of Hartford, Connecticut, but was reared to agricultural pursuits. He emigrated to Michigan, and for many years held offices of honor and trust in Berrien county. He still resides there, and is one of its most highly respected citizens. The mother of Ludovic C. Leeds was born in the West Indies, and was the daughter of a physician. She died in 1860. They reared a family of three children, all of whom are living at the present time.
  Ludovic C. Leeds was educated in the common schools and began life as a clerk in his father's office. He remained there three years and then enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Company C, August 8, 1862. He saw service in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina, and was with General Burnside on the Knoxville campaign, and was with General Thomas at Nashville, Tennessee. He was in many forced marches, and participated in some of the most noted battles of the war.
  After the declaration of peace he returned to Michigan, and went thence to Omaha, Nebraska, where he secured employment with the Union Pacific Railroad Company. In 1869 he came to Jefferson, Texas, and opened a hotel, which he conducted until 1875. In that year he came to Dallas and embarked in the lumber business. He began at the bottom of the ladder, and mastered every detail of that industry, profiting by the experience of older heads. After several years of service under the direction of excellent business men be formed a partnership with Mr. Conkling, under the firm name of Leeds & Conkling, and purchased the plant of one of the oldest and most reliable firms in the county. They do a general lumber business, and have conducted their affairs with much success. They have met with some adversities, the most severe being the destruction of their mill by fire. They have rebuilt, however, and are fairly re-established with their old customers.
  Mr. Leeds was married in 1875, to Miss Mattie Bartholomew, of Michigam, and they are the parents of six children:
1. Alexander B. Leeds
2. Ludovic Leeds
3. Mary Leeds, who died at the age of one year
4. Will L. Leeds
5. Jessie M. Leeds, twin of Carlos W. Leeds
6. Carlos W. Leeds, twin of Jessie M. Leeds

Ludovic C. Leeds is an active member of John A. Dix Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and holds one of the offices of the post. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and takes an interest in all the enterprises that have for the object the elevation of humanity.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 443-444.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM E. BEST, who is actively engaged in mercantile trade in Dallas, Texas, has been a resident of the city and prominently connected with her commerce since 1874. The lot where his
handsome residence stands was then in the suburbs. He purchased this land and a small grocery store located on the corner of Caroline and McKinney streets, where he had his first experience in mercantile life; he continued in business there until the end of eighteen months when he found his quarters were too small for the growing demands of his trade, and established himself in the commodious quarters he now occupies at 161 Ross avenue. Here he has by fair means, industry, and an intelligent comprehension of the conditions of the markets, built up a trade of which any man might well be proud.
  Mr. Best is an American citizen by adoption, his native land being the Einerald Isle, county Armagh, where he first saw the light of day May 26, 1839. He is the second of a family of nine children born to Robert and Sarah (Thompson) Best, natives of Ireland; the father was a land owner in that country, residing in county Armagh; be died in 1867, and his wife survived him two years. In 1854 William E. Best bade farewell to home and friends and native land, and crossed the sea to America, landing in New York city; he started West at once, and stopped in Hillsboro, Illinois, where he remained until the beginning of the Civil war. In September, 1862, he went io Springfield, Illinois, and there enlisted in defense of the flag of his adopted land. He joined Company A, Ninty-seventh Volun-teer Infantry, and was transported to Vicksburg. To trace the Ninety-seventh through all the varying fortunes of warfare would be an oft-told tale. Suffice it to say, that Mr. Best bravely and gallantly participated in the engagement at Arkansas Post, the siege, of Vicksburg, the attack on Fort Gibson, at which place he was commissioned First Lieutenant, the battle of Edwards Station, Black River Bridgge, Jackson, Mississippi, and many of less note. Mr. Best was mustered out of the service at Galveston with the rest of the Ninety-seventh in August, 1865, and honorably discharged at Springfield, Illinois.
  In January, 1865, during the war, he was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Otway, a daughter of John A. Otway, of New Orleans. Mr. Otway was the owner of a fine line of steamers on the Mississippi, and he was otherwise interested in the trausportation lines of Now Orleans. He was well known in business circles throughout the South; his death occurred in New Orleans in 1876.
  After his return from the war, Mr. Best settled down to the more peaceful pursuit of agriculture, cultivating his farm near Hillsboro, Illinois. There he lived until 1871, when he removed to Louisiana; he purchased a plantation near St. Martinsville; and made it his home for three years. Not being satisfied with the results of this operation, he sold out and moved with his family to Dallas county, Texas; he settled near the present city on rented land, and in one year moved into Dallas. He has been one of the energetic workers in commerce, and has largely aided in establishing the present reputation of Dallas as a business center.
  Mr. and Mrs. Best are the parents of nine children:
1. Katie Best, the wife of Dr. Hicks
2. Florence Best is the motker of one son, Hugh
3. Philip K. Best
4. Maud Best
5. Zoe Best
6. Bessie Best
7. Willie Best
8. Robert Best
9. Edward Best
10. James Best

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 444-445.
- o o o -

  (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)