Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Back to Main Page

 

 

(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
THOMAS L. MARSALIS, a resident of Dallas, and one of the most enterprising and public-spirited men in the Sonthwest, has accomplished wonders in developing the resources and promoting the interests of this section of Texas, especially of Dallas. He has succeeded where thousands would have failed. The following facts (while we regret that they must be so brief) will serve to show something of his ability, his persistence, and the stupendous results he has accomplished.
   Thomas L. Marsalis was born in Mississippi, October 4, 1852. His parents, descendants of Holland ancestry, were Pennsylvanians and Quakers. They went from Pennsylvania to Mississippi at an early day, and when Thomas L. was a year old they moved to Louisiana. In that State young Marsalis spent his boyhood days. In 1871, at the age of nineteen, he came to Texas and located in Corsicana, where he engaged in the wholesale grocery business. In the following year he came to Dallas, and here he did a wholesale grocery business for a period of sixteen years. When he was twenty-five he was doing an annual business of $750,000, at thirty his sales amounted to $1,500,000 annually, and during the seventeen years of his career as a wholesale groceryman his sales amounted to over $20,000,000. During all this time he took great interest in the upbuilding of Dallas, contributing freely of his money and time to the advancement of its best interests. He helped to organize the first fire company of Dallas, also helped to organize the Merchants Exchange, and is a charter member of several of the railroad companies that have built roads to Dallas. He built four grocery stores during the time he was in business, each larger and more commodions than the one that preceded it. The last one he built covered about an acre and had a railroad track running into the building, where seven cars could be loaded and unloaded. In 1881, while the streets of Dallas were in mud, and the people afraid to experiment, Mr. Marsalis paved the street in front of his store with bois d'are blocks, thus demonstrating the fact that this kind of pavement was a success. His example was followed, and today the streets of the city are well paved.
   Mr. Marsalis is a born leader. He is one of the very few wen who know the wants of a city. In Dallas, at this juncture, his business tact had a large field for successful operations. In 1887 he conceived the idea of giving Dallas a beautiful, accessible and healthful residence and manufacturing section, and to carry out this plan he bought about 2,000 acres of land, just across the river from Dallas, at that time in fields and rocky cliffs. This he platted, and in paving its streets spent about $200,000. In order to make it accessible to the business portion of Dallas, he built an elevated railway from the courthouse across the river bottom to and through this property, building a nice station house on this road on every alternate block. He then built a complete system of water works, covering most of the streets and alleys. He also built an electric light plant and a magnificent hotel, and improved about 150 acres as a park. This park is the chief attraction as a place of recreation for the people of northern Texas. The first house that was built on the ground was a school house, in June, 1887. In order to make living in this beautiful locality attractive it was necessary to have first-class railway accommodations. The same plan was adopted as the one used on the elevated roads of New York city. This is the only road of the kind in the South. As has been shown, Mr. Marsalis has invested a large fortune in this property. People from all parts of Texas soon saw the advantages of this business site at Dallas, commenced to buy and build here, and by 1890, three years from the date of purchase, it had 2,000 magnificent and commodious residences and a population of 7,000. Today it is an incorporated city and is known as Oak Cliff. It has seventy-five stores, four or five factories of various kinds, and has recently let the contract for a public high school building, and in September, 1892, a young ladies' college will be opened for the accommodation of some 300 young ladies. Already the city of Oak Cliff is becoming the most prominent educational as well as desirable residence location in the State. For nearly five years Mr. Marsalis has worked from fifteen to eighteen hours a day, expending more labor on the  enterprise than could be expected of any one man, and the work he has achieved in so short a time has no parallel in America.
   Mr. Marsalis is president of the following companies: Dal!as & Oak Cliff Railroad Company, Oak Cliff Crosstown Railway Company, West Dallas Railway Company, Oak Cliff Water Supply Company, Oak Cliff Light & Power Company, and Oak Cliff Hotel Company.
   In 1873 Mr. Marsalis was united in marriage with Miss Lizzie J. Crowdus, daughter of Dr. Crowdus. They have had three children:
1. Allene Marsalis, who died at the age of four years
2. Lalia Marsalis
3. Thomas L. Marsalis, Jr.

Mrs. Marsalis is a lady of culture and refinement, possessing rare intellectual and social attainments. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Marsalis is also prominent in fraternal as well as business circles, being a member of the Masonic order, the I.O.O.F. and the K. of P. He combines with an easy adaptability to circumstances a pleasing presence and has the happy faculty of ingratiating himself with all who are fortunate enough to know him.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 410-412.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ALFRED P. SUMMERS was born in Henry county, Tennessee, August 15, 1839. He has been identifiedwith the interests of Texas from his early manhood, is now one of the prosperous farmers of Dallas county,and is justly entitled to appropriate mention in this volume. Of his parents and family, we record the following facts:
   Charles L. Summers, his father, was born in North Carolina, July 21, 1800. He was first married to Miss Lovelace, who died soon after her marriage. His second marriage occurred in North Carolina, to Malinda Chandler. He then moved to Kentucky, and ere long was again bereft of his companion, who died, leaving one child, Mary Ann Summers, who became the wife of William Gray, and died in December, 1869. After his wife's death Mr. Summers moved to Tennessee, and there, in 1838, wedded Mrs. Elizabeth (Paschall) Key. Mr. Summers was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits, owning a farm in Tennessee. In 1858 he came to Texas, coming through with wagons and being forty, days on the journey. The first year he rented land, and the second year bought 200 acres near where Mesquite now stands. It was all unimproved then, and he moved upon it and at once began the work of development. At that time the county was thinly settled, and they had to go to Dallas to do their trading and get their mail. Seven children were born to them:
1. Alfred P. Summers being the oldest.
2. Thomas Summers
3. Sarah Summers, deceased
4. John M. Summers, who was killed at the battle of Chickamauga
5. Luther R. Summers
6. Rebecca E. Summers, wife of Stephen Moore
7. Frances C. Summers, who died young.

Alfred P. Summers lived with his father up to the time of the war. He enlisted in the Sixth Texas Cavalry, in September, 1861, and served through the war, participating in the battles of Pea Ridge, Fayetteville, Corinth, Franklin, Iuka, Peach Tree Ridge, Holly Springs and Thompson Station, and fighting Sherman on his march to the sea. He was detailed and went to Vicksburg with Major Quay, going to Mississippi to gather up mules for the army. He was surrendered at Jackson, Mississippi, May 13, 1865.
   Returning home, he rented land and engaged in farming. January 27, 1869, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary F. Elam, who was horn in Hickory county, Missouri, April 15, 1842, and came to Texas when she was five years old. Her parents, lsaac and Margaret (Lanham) Elam, were natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively, the father born in 1803, and her mother in 1811. The names of the twelve children in the Elam family are as follows:
1. Parallee Elam, wife of B. F. Bethurum
2. Emily Elam, wife of H. Cox
3. Narcissa Elam, wife of Joseph Cox
4. F. Elam
5. William C. Elam
6. Jane Elam, wife of Money Weatherford
7. Drusilla Elam, wife of Christopher Cox
8. Mary F. Elam, wife of A. P. Summers
9. Adaline Elam, wife of J. J. Pratt
10. Thomas B. Elam
11. Livonia Elam, who died young
12. Matilda Elam, who has been blind since she was three months old.
Of these, six are now living.

In 1870, Mr. Summers bought 172 acres of land. He now has it all fenced and sixty-five acres under cultivation. Beginning life a poor boy, he has made fair progress and is now the owner of a nice little farm and comfortable home. He and his wife have had six children:
1. Charles E. Summers, who died November 29, 1890, at the age of twenty-one years
2. Alva W. Summers
3. Mattie Summers, twin to Maggie
4. Maggie Summers, twin to Mattie
5. Frank D. Summers

Mr. Summers belongs to the A. F. & A. M., Scyene Lodge, No. 295, of which he has served as W. M. for several years. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 412-413.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM THOMAS, of Dallas, Texas, was born in Butler county, Ohio, and was reared within the environment of science. His father was a physician and dentist, and from his earliest youth he was able to use the dental instruments with a care and nicety worthy of an older head. He attended the public schools until he reached his twelfth year, when he developed into a young nomad. He went awayfrom home, and, wandered in nearly every portion of the United States. Wherever he remained any length of time he practiced dentistry, and always made an excellent reputation for skillful and substantial work. Early in the 1870s he came to Dallas, Texas, and is one of the two pioneers who anchored in this port and remained. He now attracts patronage from all parts of the State, and has accumulated a competence from his practice.
   Dr. Thomas was united in marriage, in 1871, to Miss Sibbil A. Sawyer, and one child has been born of this union, Harry Sawyer Thomas. He is a young man of exceptional ability, and has inherited much of the mechanical genius of his father and grandfather. He has been a student in the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, and while there made an enviable record. Few young men stand so high in the estimation of the business men of the city. He is associated with his father in practice, the firm being Dr. Thomas & Son. They have a pleasant home on Gaston avenue, where they are surrounded with all the comforts of life. The Doctor and his son are intelligent, honorable competitors, and representative citizens in every sense of the word.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 413.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM M. JOHNSON, civil engineer and surveyor, is a promi-nent and most highly esteemed citizenof Dallas,Texas. By his scientific knowl-edge and skill he has contributed rnuch to the material benefit of the city and State, having directed numerous improvements, such as railways, roadways, bridges and sewers, besides superintending the laying out of the Fair grounds, City Park, numerous suburban additions to Dallas.
   Mr. Johnson is the eldest son of Colonel Thornton Fitzhugh Johnson, of Barboursville, Virginia, and Margaret Louisa (Warlren) Johnson, of Georgetown, Scott County, Kentucky, andwas born March 11, 1833, at Georgetown. His father was educated at the West Point Military Academy, and moved to Kentucky in 1827. He was the founder of Bacon College, a school for civil engineers, which was afterward incorporated into the Kentucky University. In 1847 Colonel T. F. Johnson organized the Western Military Institute, at Georgetown, Kentucky, which in 1850 was removed to Blue Lick Springs, and in 1851 to Drennon Springs, Kentucky. Among the faculty of the institute, as professor of ancient languages, was the Hon. James G. Blaine, late United States Secretary of State, but then a young man of twenty, a recent graduate from Washington College, Pennsylvania.
   In 1851, William M. Johnson graduated at Drennon Springs with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and in 1855 the degree of Master of Arts was conferred on him by the University of Nashville, Tennessee. Previous to the war he was engaged in civil engineering in Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas, since which time he has followed the same pursuit in Missouri, Nebraska and Texas.
   He was married on March 6, 1861, at Hannibal, Missouri, to Miss Anna Buckner Owsley, youngest daughter of William P. and Almora, (Robards) Owsley. They have two children living:
1. Margaret Johnson, now Mrs. H. C. Coke
2. Stoddard P. Johnson.

In September, 1872, Mr. Johnson came to Dallas as resident engineer, in charge of the construction of the Texas & Pacific Railway between Mesquite and Eagleford. In 1873 he had charge of the track-laying on the Texas & Pacific Railway from Dallas to Grand Salina, and again in 1880 and 1881 he was in charge of the track, bridges, depots and telegraph line on the Texas & Pacific Railway from Fort Worth to Blanco Junction. In the spring of 1882 he again occupied the same position on the Missouri Pacific Railway from Hillsboro to Taylor, thus representing over 1,000 miles of track construction in Texas. He was City Engineer of Dallas in 1874, 1875, 1876 and 1877, also in 1882, 1883, 1884 and 1885. While in this capacity he superintended the building of the first brick sewer, the laying of the first pipe sewer, the construction of the first Macadam street, and the putting down of the first bois d'arc street pavement in Dallas, being the patentee of the bois d'arc paving as used in Dallas. In 1889 and 1890 he was engaged by the State of Texas as the engineer in charge of the improvements of the State Capitol grounds at Austin, having served as State Engineer twice before, when he was employed to measure and inspect the construction of the Dallas & Wichita Railway from Dallas to Lewisville. He located the present line of the Texas & Pacific Railway from Forney to Dallas, and from Dallas to Fort Worth; and the Dallas & Wichita Railway from Dallas to Lewisville; and the Dallas & Cleburne Railway from Alvarado to Cleburne, in Johnson county. As engineer in charge of track construction, it was his fortune to ride on the first locomotive that crossed the Sabine, Trinity, Brazos, Colorado and Pecos rivers, on the Texas & Pacific railway, and the Brazos river at Waco on the Missouri Pacific railway. As a surveyor he laid out the Trinity Cemetery, the Fair grounds. and the City Park, also many suburban additions to Dallas, such as Oak Cliff, Belmont, Chestnut Hill and Monarch.
   He and wife are consistent members of the Christian denomination, having both joined that denomination at the same time, when they were immersed in the Royal Spring branch at Georgetown, Kentucky, during the war. They now belong to the Central Christian Church on Masten street.
   From Mr. Johnson we learn the following interesting facts: The first brick sewer ever built in Dallas was an oval arch, about three feet high and 300 feet long, extending from the northeast corner of Griffith and Elm streets, southeast (through what was at that time Pink Thomas' wagon-yard) to the northwest corner of Main and Murphy streets. This sewer was afterward taken out and rebuilt from Elm to Main street, down Murphy street: Bob James, contractor. The first pipe sewer ever laid in Dallas was the six-inch pipe in Elm street, from Jefferson to Murphy street, and the fifteen-inch pipe down Murphy street from Elm street to the Trinity river at the Rock ford: Captain Ed. Doyle, contractor. The first Macadam street ever constructed in Dallas was on Ross avenue, from Oleander (now Ervay) street to the Houston & Texas Central railway: Lanig & Radicam, contractors. The first bois d'arc block street paving ever put down in Dallas, or anywhere else, was a strip ninety-five feet long on the south side of Elm street, east of Murphy street, done at the expense of Mr. Tom Marsalis: Miller & Bell, contractors. To Mr. Marsalis is due the credit of introducing this valuable improvement into Dallas at a time when its principal business streets were almost irnpaseable. The latitude of Dallas, as determined by a United States scientific party in 1878, is 320 degrees 47 minutes 9 seconds, and the longitude is one hour and eighteen minutes west from Washington. The elevation of Dallas above mean tide of the Gulf of Mexico is 436 feet at the courthouse, and 474 feet at the Union depot.
   The numerous responsible undertakings which have been intrusted to Mr. Johnson is sufficient endorsement of his ability, without further comment on the subject. He deservedly stands high in his profession. This, combined with his many admirable traits of character, unimpeachable. integrity and universal courtesy, have conspired to win the respect and esteem of the community at large, while he enjoys the affection of a host of personal friends.
   Mr. Johnson cast his first vote for Buchanan and Breckenridge in 1860, and has ever since voted for the nominee of the Democratic party, including Jeff. Davis.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 413-415.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. S. HUGHES, a farmer and stock-raiser, residing four miles north of Dallas, has watched the progress of Dallas county since the fall of 1869, since which time he has been more or less prominently identified with her interests.
   He was born in Spencer county, Kentucky, Oil August 28, 1838, and was the fourth son and sixth child in order of birth in a family of nine children. His parents were Elijah and Permelia (Wells), Hughes, both natives of Kentucky. His father was a son of William Hughes, who went from Virginia to Kentucky at an early day and whose paternal ancestors were Irish. His mother was a daughter of General Wells, a Kentuckian by birth, and of Scotch descent. His parents always resided in Kentucky, his father dying there in the year of 1860, and his mother surviving until 1866.
   J. S. Hughes resided with his parents until he attained his majority, soon after which he came to Texas. His journey to this State was made in the conventional way, with horse and teams, which, on account of heavy rains and swollen streams, was much retarded, being eleven weeks enroute. After arriving in Dallas county he engaged in farming, and continued his agricultural pursuits on rented land for five years, at the end of which time he and his brother, George, purchased 415 acres of wild land, which they at once began improving and building on it a home. They now have 230 acres of Dallas county's best soil, fifteen acres of which are in timber.
   Mr. Hughes was married on July 15, 1875, to Miss J. Williams, a native of Dallas county. Then have had four children:
1. George T. Hughes, born May 24, 1876
2. Ernest J. Hughes, February 1, 1878
3. Dowell W. Hughes, December 10, 1880
4. Virda M. Hughes, August 27, 1886

Mr. Hughes is a member of the Christian Church, and his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He affiliates socially with the Masons, having been a member of that fraternity for eighteen years.
   Mr. Hughes is a typical American and striking example of the self-made man. Starting in life without much means, he has by industry and economy acquired a competence, and is now classed with the substantial farmers of this community. His fidelity and uprightness of character and cordiality of manner have gained for him the respect and esteem of his follow citizens, and endeared him to a large circle of personal friends.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 415.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DR. W. A. McCOY, one of the leading members of the medical profession at Dallas Texas dates his birth in Clark county, Indiana, September 1, 1844. Of his life and ancestry, the following brief outline is presented:
   The Doctor's parents, Louis and Rebecca (Hester) McCoy, were both born in Clark county, Indiana. The Louis McCoy was born in 1806, and lived for sixty-eight years on the same farm on which he first saw the light. He moved to Franklin, Indiana, in 1874, and died soon after at about the age of sixty-nine years. He was a member of the Baptist Church, and was an exemplary man in every respect. In the Temperance movement he was an active worker, being among the first to discard the use of intoxicants in the barvest field. He kept up a meeting of the 11 Washingtonians (of which he was a prime mover), for many years. He was also active in Sunday-school work. At one time he was Captain of a militia company. Indeed, he was a leading spirit in all enterprises that had for their object the good of the community in which he lived. His widow, Rebecca McCoy is still living, having reached the advanced age of eighty-six years.
   Dr. McCoy's paternal grandparents were John and Jane (Collins) McCoy. They went from Pennsylvania to Kentucky, where they were married in 1803. Following are the names of their children:
1. Lydia McCoy, who was first married to Jesse Coombes and afterward to Thomas McCormick, died in Clark county, Indiana
2. Lewis McCoy, father of Dr. W.A. McCoy
3. Spencer Collins McCoy, a farmer of Clark county, died about 1872
4. Isaac McCoy, a prominent educatorin southern Illinois, diedabout 1884
5. Thursey McCoy, wife of John McCormick
6. Rev. William McCoy, a Baptist minister, who died in 1890
7. Eliza McCoy, of whom mention is made as a missionary to the Indians.
8. George Rice McCoy, who died in Illinois some time in the 1840s
9. John C. McCoy

Of the Hesters, the Doctor's maternal grandparents, record is made as follows:  Matthias, husband of Susan (Huckleberry) Hester. Matthias Hester, when nineteen years of age, was scalped and speared by the Indians on Blue Grass creek, near where Louisville, Kentucky, now stands, and was thrown into a ditch and left for dead. He recovered, however, and lived to an advanced age.  They reared a large family of children, all of whom grew up to occupy honored and useful positions. Following are the names of their children:

1. Rev. George K. Hester, one of the early Methodist ministers of Indiana, and one of the founders of Asbury (now De Panw) University, was born in 1792 and died about 1874. Rev. George K. Hester's sons were among the first graduates of Asbury University. They are:

Rev. Asbury Hester, D. D., of Greencastle, Indiana
Rev. Addison Hester, who died in St. Louis in 1842
Rev. W. McKinsey Hester, D. D., of the Southeast Indiana Conference
Rev. Andrew Hester, who died at Charleston, Indiana, in 1869.

2.  Mary M. Hester, who married Mr. Muir, and resided in Kentucky, (died about 1860) 3.  Cowen P. Hester, one of the founders of the Indiana State University at Bloomington, went to California in 1849, was elected Judge, and is now a resident of Los Angeles
4.  Elizabeth Hester, a teacher of more than ordinary ability, died in 1846
5. David Hester, who was drowned in the Mississippi river
6. Sarah Hester, wife of John Coombes, died in Clark county, Indiana, in 1880
7. Rebecca Hester, wife of Louis McCoy
8. William Hester, who died at the age of thirty years, left an only son, W. W. Hester, who is now a practicing physician in Chicago
9. Milton P. Hester, of Illinois, is now eighty years of age
10. Dr. Uriah A. V. Hester, a prominent physician of Owen county, Indiana, is the youngest of the family.

Lewis McCoy and his wife were the parents of four children:

1. George K. McCoy, a surgeon in the Union army, died in New Orleans, December 18, 1864, aged about, thirty years
2. C. McCoy, a leading attorney of the Dallas bar
3. Henrietta J. McCoy, wife of William Taggart, of Chicago, Illinois
4. A. McCoy

Dr. W. A. McCoy was educated at Franklin College, Indiana, and at the State University at Bloomington. He graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, with the class of 1883-1884, and at once began the practice of his profession in Decatur county, Indiana, reinaining there two years. In 1887 he came to Dallas, Texas, and since that time has been conducting a medical practice here.
   The Doctor was married in 1880, to Miss Lizzie McCain, daughter of J. D.McCain, of Franklin, Indiana. They have two children, Earl McCoy and Lewis McCoy. Both he and his wife are members of the East Dallas Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 416-417.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. A. McMURRY, brick contractor, Dallas, has put up many buildings throughout Dallas and vicinity, and he has put in the foundations for cotton compresses nearly throughout the State; has contracted for many large business blocks, put up the Empire mills, the brick work for the Todd Milling Company, the Exchange building for Mr. Jamison, residences for Loftwick & Jamison, the East Dallas Bank on Elm street, the W. E. Best building at the corner of Ross avenue and Griffin street, also for J. S. Terry on Coin merce and Jefferson streets, and many other residences.
   Mr. McMurry was born in Smith county, Tennessee, in 1842, the eldest son of James and Einily (Black) McMurry. His father was a native of North Carolina and his mother of Virginia. The senior McMurry was a boy when with his father's family he went to Tennessee, in which State he grow up to manhood and was married; he was a farmer and millwright; his death occcurred in 1867, and his widow survived him two years. His grandfather, McMurry, came from Scotland and settled in North Carolina at an early day, and some years afterward moved to Tennessee. Mr. McMurry, our subject, was raised in farm life to the age of sixteen years, and then learned his trade.
   In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Fourth Tennessee Cavalry, and served twelve months, engaging in a skirmish at Albany, Kentucky, etc. He was discharged, and re-enlisted in 1862, in company F, Fifteenth Tennessee Cavalry, and continued to serve during the war, being in Morgan's raid, in the battle of Chickamauga, etc., and received two flesh wounds. He was taken prisoner just before the battle Of Missionary Ridge and confined at Rock Island; was exchanged before the battle of Petersburg and returned to his command in Virginia, and continued with his company until the close of the war.
   Returning to Tennessee, he was married there, in June, 1870, to Miss Emily Turner, a native of Sumner county, Tennessee, and a daughter of Edmund and Eliza (Whitworth) Turner. Her father was a native of North Carolina, and her mother, of Sumner county, Tennessee. She was a sister of Judge Whitworth, of Nashville. Her father, born in 1793, moved in 1809 to Tennessee, became a model farmer and continued to make Sumner county his home until his death, in 1871. His wife survived till 1888, residing in Dallas. After his marriage Mr. McMurry settled in Union City, Obion county, Tennessee, and continued a resident there until 1874, when he came to Dallas and Since then has been identified with the building interests of this city. He votes with the Democratic party, but takes no part in the political machinery. Mrs. McMurry is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have been interested witnesses in the growth of Dallas. Their children are:
1. Edmund McMurry
2. Norman McMurry
3. Queenie McMurry
4. Adnie McMurry
5. Jennie McMurry
6. Lizzie McMurry

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 417-418.
- o o o -


Back to Index
CREIGHTON R. SKELTON, dentist, Dallas, Texas. One of the most popular dentists of Dallas, Texas, has availed himself of all the modern improvements in this branch, and his skillful manner in per-forming all operations is well known. He was born in the Keystone State in 1852, and is a son of Elizabeth (Ruxton) Skelton, natives of England; the father a merchant by occupation. Dr. Skelton attained his growth in his native State and supplemented a public school education by attending Ypsilanti Normal School, Michigan. After leaving school he began the study of dentistry with Dr. A. B. Bell and subsequently entered the dental department of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor. He began practicing in the West, Aberdeen and Fargo, Dakota, and St. Paul, Minnesota. He came to Dallas, Texas, in 1888, began practicing, and by strict profes-sional methods has built up a lucrative prac-tice. Safe, conservative and reliable, he is one of the rising dentists of the State. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and socially is a pleasant and genial gentleman.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 418.
- o o o -


Back to Index
W. C. FORRESTER, a member of the police force of Dallas, Texas, first came to this city in February, 1874. A short time afterward he went to Waco, Texas, and after remaining there two years came back to Dallas in August, 1877. Since that time he has, made this city his home.     Mr. Forrester was born in Chatham county, North Carolina, in 1847, the youngest of seven children born to David and Keziah (Culbertson) Forrester, natives of that same county. His father was a farmer by occupation, passed his life there, and died in 1868. His mother also died in Chatham county, her death occurring, in 1864. Mr. Forrester was reared on a farm, educated in the district schools, and in his native county was married, in 1869, to Miss S. Al. David. She and her parents, H. Q. and ______ (Crutchfield) David, were all natives of Chatham county. Her father and mother were members of old North Carolina families, and both are deceased. After his marriage Mr. Forrester settled on a farm and was engaged in agricultural pursuits until he came to Texas. Here he was first engaged in contracting and building. For some two or three years he was Superintendent of Streets in East Dallas. He has resided in East Dallas for years, and has been on the police force ten years.
   To Mr. and Mrs. Forrester four children have been born, namely:
1. Julian J. Forrester
2. Lizzie Forrester
3. Annie Forrester, who died in 1873
4. William H. Forrester, who died in 1875

Mr. Forrester is in politics a Democrat, and in every respect he is a public-spirited and enterprising citizen. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 418-419.
- o o o -


Back to Index


WHARTON BRANCH


WHARTON BRANCH, an attorney at law, Dallas, Texas, was born in Liberty county, this State, March 4, 1848, the fourth in a family of six children. His father, Edward Thomas Branch, was born in Virginia, in 1811, and his mother, Ann Wharton (Cleveland) Branch, was born in Kentucky, December 25, 1822.
   The father of Wharton Branch was a prominent man in his day. When a mere youth he began the study of law, and at the age of eighteen he left home, went to Jackson, Mississippi, and engaged as a bank clerk. Soon afterward he became a member of a company that chartered a small sailing vessel and started for the West Indies. The vessel being shipwrecked off Galveston Bay, in 1833 or 1834, he was taken prisoner and was carried to Anahuac, where he was released. He subsequently joined the Liberty Company in the Texas army, in 1836, took part in the battle of San Jacinto, and was afterward commissioned by Sam Houston as Lieutenant Colonel. May 27, 1838, he was licensed to practice law. He was a member of the first Congress of the Republic of Texas; was appointed Judge of the Fifth Circuit, May 25, 1838. He was married in Brazoria county, at the residence of Colonel Willam H. Wharton, August 28, 1838; and after his marriage settled at Nacogdoches, and was prominently identified with the courts of Texas. At one time he was Supreme Judge. He moved to Liberty, Texas, December 29, 18411 and remained there until the time of his death, which occurred September 22, 1861. Aside from his other business interests he was also engaged in land speculation and stock dealing, he having introduced blooded stock into that part of Texas. His excellent wife survived him some years. Her death occurred in 1867. The name of Edward T. Branch is well known to all who are familiar with the history of Texas, and is one that will long be remembered for the important part he took in advancing her best interests. He was the first Speaker of the House after the annexation, and was the author of the first exemption law in Texas.
   Wharton Branch was reared in Liberty, Texas, and received the principal part of his education there. He subsequently took a course at Colorado College, Columbus, Texas. The war, however, interfered with his college course, and his education was completed under private instructions. He began the study of law under the tutelage of E. B. Pickett, the framer of the Texas State Constitution and in 1870 commenced the practice of law in Galveston. On the election of E. B. Pickett to State office, Mr. Branch went to Liberty, and took charge of the former's law business, practicing in the courts of southeastern Texas, and meeting with eminent success. Returning to Galveston in 1874, he was engaged in the practice of his profession there until 1889, when he came to Dallas. He has been appointed by the Governor, and chosen by the Bar to preside at different times. Besides his law practice he has also been engaged in the real-estate business. In 1881, and 1882, he purchased for Kountz & Co. large tracts of pine lands. He also located many sections in western Texas, receiving a fourth interest for his part. He has now about 40,000 acres of timber land and 5,000 acres of good farming land.
   Mr. Branch was married in Galveston, Texas, March 14, 1872, to Miss Marie Louise Loomis, a native of Colorado county, Texas, and a daughter of James J. and Mary (Wooton) Loomis, natives of Kentucky, and early residents of Colorado county, this State. Her father was a professor in the Colorado College for some years; was also Clerk of the Court of Colorado county. He died there in October, 1871. Her mother's' death also occurred in Columbus, in 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Branch have four children living:
1. Edward Thomas Branch, who was born February 15, 1876, is now in the book store of John T. Kingan, Elm street
2. Luln May Branch, born March 4, 1878
3. Nellie Branch, born February 8, 1880
4. Olive Branch, born September 19, 1882

Mr. Branch is a member of the Masonie fraternity, having been made a Mason in Tucker Lodge, No. 297, Galveston; has served as Senior Warden in the order. His father was a charter member of Holland Lodge, No. 1, A. F. & A. M., at Houston, Texas. In his religious views, Mr. Branch inclines toward the Episcopal faith.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 419-420.
- o o o -


Back to Index
D. W. C. SMITH, a pioneer of Dallas county, was born in Simpson county, Kentucky, in 1832, the third of eight children born to David and Mary (Cummins) Smith, also natives of Kentucky. The father was a merchant, fariner and stock-raiser by occupation and resided in Kentucky until his death, which occurred in 1865; the mother survived him several years. D.W.C. Smith was reared and educated in his native county, where he also studied surveying under Billy Williams. He came to Dallas county in 1854, settling in the town of Dallas, where he engaged in clerking for J. W. Smith several years. He then took a berd of cattle to New Orleans.
   In 1862 Mr. Smith enlisted in the army, in Captain Huffmann's company, and remained until the close of the war. He participated in the battle of Somerville, in Morgan's raid, and was taken prisoner in 1863. He was afterward paroled at Gallatin, Tennessee, after which he returned to Dallas and engaged in stock-dealing, and later began clerking, which he has since followed from time to time. Mr. Smith bought sixty acres of land, which he has since improved, and also owns property in Dallas. He is a Democrat, politically, and in 1857-1858 held the office of County Surveyor, and later was elected Public Cotton Weigher.
   Mr. Smith was married in Dallas county, Februarv 22, 1859, to Miss Hannah C. Huffman, a native of Kentucky, but reared in Sumner county, Tennessee, and daughter of M. L. and Mildred (Glouver) Huffman, natives of Kentucky. The parents settled in Tennessee in an early day, and in 1838 moved to Richardson, Dallas county, where the father died, in 1861; the mother still resides in Dallas. Mr. and Mrs. Smith had three children:
Ida Smith, now Mrs. John Bosley, of Dallas
Lily C. Smith, wife of Philip Jones, also of Dallas
Katie Smith.

Mr. Smith lost his excellent wife in 1882.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 420-421.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN GRAUWYLER, a farmer and gardener of Dallas county, was born in Switzerland, in 1837, the youngest of seven children born to Jerome and Verona (Baliner) Grauwyler, also natives of Switzerland. The father was a mason by occupation, and remained in his native country until his death, which occurred in 1865; the mother also died in Switzerland, in 1849.
   John, Grauwyler, was reared in the city of Basle, Switzerland, where he was engaged for a time as bookkeeper for a large silk-ribbon factory. At the age of seventeen years, in 1854, he left his native country and came to Rochester, New York, where he remained until coming to Texas. In April, 1861, in Rochester, he enlisted in Company E, Twenty-eighth New York Infantry, for three months, and was in the battle of Bull Run, seven days before Richmond, Antietam, Cliancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness and Petersburg. Mr. Grauwyler received a gunshot wound at Antietam and was confined in the hospital at Frederick, Maryland. He took part in the review at Washington, District of Columbia, and in 1865 returned to Ontario county, where he followed his trade until coming to Dallas county, in 1883. He has a fine farm of 365 acres, all of which is under a fine state of cultivation. Politically, Mr. Grauwyler affiliates with the Democratic party, and has held the office of Road Overseer for five years. Socially, he is a member of the G. A. R. Post of Rochester. Mrs. Grauwyler is a member of the Episcopal Church.
   He was married at Rochester, New York, in 1859, to E. H. Thomas, a native of Ontario county, and daughter of Marcus and Abigail (Graham) Thomas, natives of New York. Grandfather Thomas was an early pioneer of Ontario county, New York, and the family still have a sabre, plume and coat of arms, relies of the war of 1812. Marcus Thomas remained in New York until his death, which occurred in 1880, and the mother survived until 1882.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 421.
- o o o -


Back to Index
I. T. BOREN, book-keeper and salesman for a grocery firm on McKinney avenue, was born in Washington county, Tennessee, in 1835, the third of eight children born to William and Phoebe (Proffett) Boren, also natives of Tennessee. The parents were married in that State, and in 1843 removed to Polk county, Missouri, where the father engaged in the mercantile business, and later in life settled on a farm. He made Missouri his home until death, which occurred in 1863, and the mother survived until 1885.
   I. T. Boren, was reared and educated in the city of Bolivar, Missouri, where he was also connected with the mercantile business. He afterward took a stock of groceries to Montana, where he remained six or eight months, and then returned to Missouri. He was engaged in mercantile business there until coming to Dallas, Texas, in 1876, where, in company with his father-in-law, Mr. Bowen, he commenced fruit and vegetable raising. They first bought thirteen acres, which they planted to small fruits, but have since sold all but one acre, where they raise abundance of fruit and vegetables.
   Mr. Boren was married in Polk connty, Missouri, in 1861, to Miss Jennie Bowen, a native of that State and a daughter of Ahab and Mary L. (Easley) Bowen, natives of Granger county, East Tennessee. At an early day they removed to Missouri, where the father was a merchant and farmer, and in 1863 they came to Dallas, Texas, and engaged in fruit raising. The mother died in this city, in 1889, and the father is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Boren have had seven children:
1. Fred Boren, who died in 1888, at the age of nineteen months
2. Lulu E. Boren, wife of Arthur L. Ledbetter
3. William A. Boren, at home
4. Edgar Boren, a clerk in the National Exchange Bank
5. Benjamin E. Boren
6. Arthur L. Boren

Mr. Boren takes an active part in politics, voting with the Democratic party, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 421.
- o o o -


Back to Index
MOSES D. GARLINGTON, prominent among the men whose enterprise and business sagacity have made Dallas an important railroad center, and one of the largest and most flourishing cities of Texas, was born in Franklin county, Mississippi, January 15, 1835. He is the senior member of the firm of M. D. Garlington & Co., of Commerce street, wholesale dealers in confectioneries, fruit and produce, and also engaged in the manufacture of candy. His parents were Dr. James and Sarah (Jones) Garlington, natives of Barnwell district, South Carolina. The father, a physician by profession, had an extensive practice, which extended through a period embracing nearly an entire lifetime. He took part in the war of 1812, and was near New Orleans at the time of that noted battle. Dr. Garlington was largely a self-made man, having had but few opportunities in those primitive times for professional advantages, was extraordinary in many ways, very temperate and prudent, and his name was almost a synonym for honesty and square dealing. He was a local minister of great zeal and influence in the Methodist Episcopal Church, was fluent and versatile, and did great good while laboring in his high calling. He exercised his gifts as a minister for many years, and lived to the good old age of about eighty-two years. His wife, in temperament and religious culture much like her husband, died at about the age of ninety years. The lives, influence and Christian example of these good old people, are endearing heritage to their family, neighbors and the church of their choice. Dr. Garlington's parents were Christopher and Sarah (Young) Garlington. They resided near and a part of the time at Charleston, South Carolina, and owned a farm on which a part of that city is located.
1. Doctor Garlington was their eldest child
2. Benjamin Garlington, the second son, was a Baptist minister
3. Christopher Garlington was the youngest brother
4. the eldest sister, Sarah Garlington, was the wife of James H. Parsons, who owned a mill on Ammit river, Mississippi
5. Elizabeth Garlington was the wife of William Pate, and they lived on a farm in the same locality
6. LaViDa Garlington, the youngest living sister, married Winston Clark, a Baptist minister.

These brothers and sisters, with their companions, have all gone from labor to reward.
   
Dr. and Mrs. James Garlington were the parents of twelve children, two of whom died in infancy.
1. Mary Garlington, the eldest, died unmarried
2. Susannah Garlington, deceased soon after the war, was the wife of John Akin, and they reared a large family of children
3. Lavina Garlington married William Kennedy, resided in Claiborne parish, Louisania, and both lived to a good old age, but are now deceased
4. Samuel Garlington, married Sarah Huckaby, of Mississippi, in 1835
5. Martha Garlington, whose first husband, John Armstrong, was killed by being thrown from a horse soon after their marriage, afterward married Stephen C. Kennedy, a brother of William Kennedy, above mentioned
6. Lydia Ann Garlington, the only surviving sister, married Green Akin, a brother of John Akin, also referred to, and the former died in 1891
7. Stephen W. Garlington, married Sarah Weaver, and resided near Monticello, Arkansas
8. Joseph Garlington married Martha McDonald, and the latter is deceased, and the former resides in south Louisiana
9. William Garlington married Martha Carson of north Louisiana. where they afterward resided. He died in the army from the effects of disease contracted while in the discharge of big duties.
10. Moses D. Garlington, the youngest child

Moses D. Garlington, the youngest child, was reared to farm life, and, when arriving near manhood's years, he taught school, thus procuring money with which to attend school at Homer, Louisiana. After securing his education he engaged as clerk. and bookkeeper at Trenton, same State, where he spent eighteen years of his life, serving there both before and after the war. He first discharged the duties of clerk, then of clerk and bookkeeper for Dunn & Mallory, later for Dunn & Head, and subsequently for the house of Slaughter & Crosley. He then went to the front in the late war, as Second Lieutenant of Company A, Seventeenth Louisiana Reginient, and after the reorganization in 1862 he was elected First Lieutenant. He served in that capacity until after the fall of Vicksburg, at which place big regiment was stationed after the battle of Shiloh. July 4, 1863, Mr. Garlington was made Quartermaster of the regiment, and served faithfully and acceptably in that capacity until the war closed. He was discharged at Mansfield, Louisiana, after serving about four years.
   After his arrival home he became a partner of J. P. Crosley & Co., at Trenton, Louisiana, Mr. Slaughter, the former partner of Crosley, having been killed during the war. Mr. Garlington remained in this firm several years, and then became a member of the partnership of Williamson & Garlington, Mr. Crosley still holding privately a controlling interest in the firm, and furnishing most of the itioney. After three years the name was changed to Head, Williamson & Co., and utter remaining a few years as silent partner our subject sold his interest. In 1871 he came to Corsicana, Texas, where he opened business relations under the firm name of Garlington & Marsalis, and after the terminus of the railroad reached Dallas, in 1872, he came to this city. He still continued his business in Corsicana, under the name of Garlington & Underwood, ten months, and then closed out and opened in Dallas, doing business under the firm name of Garlington, Marsalis & Co. In 1874 Mr. Garlington changed his operations from a grocer to a real estate dealer, and about the year 1876 he engaged in big present business. The firm name was first Garlington & Underwood, later Garlington & Fields, and a year afterward Mr. Fields withdrew and our subject contin tied alone until 1888, when A. F. Deckman became a partner, and the firm name of M. D. Garlington & Co. has ever since continued. In 1888 the former opened a house in Fort Worth, under the Dame of Garlington & Montgomery, which still continues in successful operation. In 1892 he opened a wholesale and retail buggy business in Dallas, under the firm name of Garlington & Rogers, and they now carry a large and well selected stock of vehicles of all kinds. The firm of M. D. Garlington & Co. are also running the stearn candy manufactory, where they manufacture their own candy, and are doing a very extensive and successful business. This is one of the important industries of Dallas. Mr. Garlington also handles a large real-estate business, and owns many residences and business houses, the rental of which amounts to a large sum. These different firms are shipping their goods over north Texas, to Indian Territory and Mexico, doing a large business at El Paso.
   Moses D. Garlington was married on his birthday in 1868, to Miss Anna Moore, a native of Arkansas, and a daughter of John Moore, who was born in South Carolina and died in Louisiana. Her mother, Sarah Fortenberry, was a native of Tennessee, and died in Arkansas when her daughter was but a child. Mrs. Garlington is the eldest of four children, and the only one now living. She was educated at Mount Lebanon Institute, Louisiana, is a lady of intelligence and refinement, and has much of that culture that comes from an acquaintance with schools and books. To their twenty-four years of married life she has brought the sweet and noble attributes to be found in the loving wife, the devoted mother and Christian neighbor. The home of Moses D. Garlington and wife have been blessed with seven children, two of whom have already passed to the "House of many Mansions." The living children are:
Willie D. Garlington, engaged in business with his father
Charles Frank Garlington
Maurice Moore Garlington
Anna Emma Garlington
Henry Lee Garlington, attending school.

The parents and all but one child are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in which the father is a Steward. The latter has served as Alderman of this city; he is a member of the Masonic order, and was Secretary of the same while in Louisiana; is a Democrat in his political views, and takes an active interest in the success and welfare of his party.
   He is a well respected Christian gentleman, such as any community may feel proud to claim as a citizen.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 422-424.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN W. DIXON.-The pages of this historical review would be quite incomplete without giving accurate reference to an agent and broker who has contributed materially to the activity and development of Dallas' real-estate market, and so directly to the prosperity of the community at large. He has been established in business here since 1889, with office at 539 Elm street; and although this has covered only a short space of time he has built up an extensive and influential patronage, numbering among his customers many wealthy investors and active operators. He came to Dallas in 1876, engaging at once in his profession, and until 1889 was teaching in the public schools of this city. He was born in East Feliciana parish, Louisiana, in 1847, the third of fourteen children born to Rev. Thomas F. and Sarah A. (Sims) Dixon, native Louisianians. The father is a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and since 1878 he and.his wife have been residents of the city of Dallas. The familywere among the early settlers of Louisiana. During the last year of the great Civil war he was in Company I, Third Louisiana Cavalry, and served principally in Louisiana. John W. Dixon was reared in Louisiana and edu-cated in Centenary College at Jackson, and after leaving this institution he turned his attention to teaching, a calling in which he met with remarkable success, spending twenty-three years of his life in the profession, and has lived to see many of big Students fill high official positions in life. He was married in Jackson, Louisiana, Novem-ber 25, 1868, to Miss Wynona A. Ambrose, a native Louisianian and a daughter of Stephen and Priscilla A. (Bradford) Am-brose, who were also born in Louisiana, the father being a planter. He remained in Louisiana until his death in 1858. His wife died in Port Hudson while it was being besieged during the war. In 1889 John W. Dixon purchased fifty acres of land adjoining Dallas on the southeast, and platted it as Dixon's addition to the city of Dallas. He then began selling lots, and, as the property was very desirable and within easy access to the business portion of the city, they sold rapidly and at fair prices, and laid the foundation of Mr. Dixon's present flourishing business. He has taken some interest in politics and votes with the Democratic party. He is a member of Trinity Lodge, No. 198, of the I.O.O.F., and he and his wife are Methodists in their religious views. To their union nine children have been born:
1. Wynona Marsh Dixon
2. Leonora Wesleyann Dixon, deceased
3. Sarah Priscilla Dixon
4. Eva Carrie Dixon
5. John Wesley Dixon, deceased
6. Mary Warren Dixon
7. Stephen Ambrose Dixon
8. Eleanor Pearl Dixon
9. William Bradford Dixon

Mr. Dixon is a public-spirited citizen in every sense of the word, and his usefulness has been thoroughly  recognized and appreciated. In 1862 he enlisted from East Feliciana parish, Louisiana, Fourth Louisiana Infantry, C. S. A., and although only a lad of fifteen years at the time he faithfully fought for the cause he espoused, and was in the engagements at Baton Rouge, Port Hudson, the siege of Vicksburg and in numerous minor skirmishes and battles. In 1863 he was transferred to Company C (McKowen's company), Fourth Louisiana Cavalry, with which he remained until the close of the war, being paroled at Gainesville, Alabama, in 1865, by Major General  E. R. S. Canby, Commander-in-chief of the Federal forces.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 424-425.
- o o o -


Back to Index
SOLOMON H. BEAN was born in North Carolina, December 27, 1831. His father, William Bean, was a native of the same State, born in 1805, and was there married to Charity Kilgrove. In 1832, the year following the birth of Solomon H., he moved to Georgia, and from there, the next year, to Alabama. In the latter State he bought land and farmed on it until 1859, when he died, at the age of fifty-four years. His wife died in 1845, at about the age of forty. They bad a family of seven children, whose names are herewith given:
1. Manerva S. Bean, wife of Charles McCall
2. Mary Ann Bean, wife of David Pilkinton
3. Solomon H. Bean
4. Martha E. Bean, wife of Daniel Anderson
5. Nanila J. Bean, who was first married to Jeremiah McDaniels and afterward to Joseph Bolton
6. Delilah H. Bean, wife of David Harkins
7. Frances J. Bean, wife of Joseph Camp
8. Susan S. Bean, who first married James Anderson and afterward William Flood.

After the death of his first wife, Mr. Bean was married to Jane Walker, by whom he also had seven children, namely:
1. Elvira Bean, wife of Henry Smith
2. William N. Bean
3. Nancy Bean, wife of Clay Hubbard
4. Lucinda H. Bean, wife of D. L. Walton
5. C. Bean
6. Sarah Bean, wife of Isaac Hubbard.

     Mr. Bean's stepmother is still living and is now sixty-five years of age.
     Solomon H. Bean was married in Alabama, September 10, 1854, to Miss Sarah Walker, who was born August 14, 1831. Her father was Jesse Walker.
     On the 7th of May, 1862, Mr. Bean enlisted in the Thirtieth Alabama Regiment, and served during the war, participating in a number of important engagements. He was twice captured: first. at Baker's creek, and after being held three months was exchanged. At the battle of Nashville he was taken prisoner and sent to Camp Douglas at Chicago, Illinois, where he was kept till the close of the war.
     Returning home, he engaged in farming there until 1882, when he moved to Texas, and settled where he now lives, fifteen miles east of the city of Dallas. At that time he bought fifty acres of land, and since then he and his son-in-law have made other purchases, now owning 350 acres in partnership. The whole is well fenced and 230 acres are under cultivation, 150 acres being devoted to the production of cotton.
     Mr. and Mrs. Bean have one child, Mary Jane Bean, wife of W. S. Jobson. Mr. Bean is a Mason, holding his membership in Alabama, and both he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 425-426.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM JOHN CAVEN, who has been a leading real-estate dealer in Dallas since 1872, is a native of the State of Georgia, but was reared in Alabama. He is a son of David and Eliza (Scott) Cavell, the father coming from Belfast, Ireland, and the mother from Augusta, Georgia. His father was a merchant and planter by occupation. In 1859 his father moved to Texas, settling in Harrison county, where he passed the remainder of his life. He died in 1883; his wife had preceded him twenty-two years; she died in 1861. Their family consisted of six children, all of whom lived to maturity. Previous to his removal to Texas Mr. Caven served in Alabama as Judge of the County Court, proving himself an efficient and reliable officer.
   William John Caven received more than ordinary educational advantages, taking up the pursuits of his father on leaving school. On the breaking out of the civil war he enlisted in the Third Texas Cavalry, which formed part of what was afterward known as the Ross brigade, in which he saw a great deal of active service, first in Missouri and Arkansas. Later on, beginning the second year of the war, their brigade crossed the Mississippi and joined the Army of the Tennessee. He was twice wounded; once seriously at Rome, Georgia, and again at Iuka, Mississippi. He was four years in the service, proving himself a faithful and gallant soldier and officer. After the surrender, he returned to Texas, resuming farming in Harrison county and taking charge of the home plantation, in the management of which he was very successful. Later he invested in considerable real estate, particularly in Dallas and Fort Worth, where he bought quite heavily in 1872, and from which purchases he has realized a profitable income, it being the foundation to the increase of his fortune to a quarter of a million of dollars. This property and the care of it necessitated his leaving the plantation, which he soon after did, and took up his residence in Dallas, though still retaining possession of the home farm. He has one of the finest homes in the
city, surrounded by every comfort and an interesting family, of which he is very fond; he enjoys his home. He has served the county as Representative to the State Legislature for three terms. In this capacity he has proved himself an able legislator, and carefully watched the interests of a large and appreciative constituency. He is affiliated with the Democratic party, and has been actively identified with the deliberations of that body.
   Mr. Caven was married in 1867, to Miss Virginia Driskell, a native of Alabama. Of their eight children six are still living.
1. Mary Pearl Caven, their first child, died when five years of age
2. Janie Caven, the second child, a graduate from the Montgomery Institute,Virginia. Janie Caven was in the awful railroad wreck, where a great many lives were lost, at Thaxton Switch, Virginia, July 2, 1889, where she was highly complimented by the press of the country upon her heroic conduct in caring for the wounded and dragging them from the burning cars, out of reach of the flames, and we give the following quotation, from a Virginia paper at the time: "Realizing the awful condition of the passengers Miss Caven, though delicately and elegantly dressed, leaped unreckoningly into the deep mud and water by which the train was surrounded and hurried to the relief of the suffering and dying. She labored untiringly in their rescue and in caring for them when rescued, tearing the clothing from her person into strips as bandages for their wounds. By such self-forgetfulness, such fortitude in peril and blessed ministrations, she has won an endearing place in the hearts of all who can appreciate a true and noble womanhood."
3. William Caven
4. David Caven
5. George Payton Caven
6. Virgie Rose Caven
7. Thomas Preston Caven are at home
8. Effie Caven, the youngest, died when three years of age.

Their children are being liberally educated and well fitted for the duties of life.

Mr. Caven is not a member of any church, is liberal in his religious views, subscribes to no creeds or dogmas and believes in the universal brotherhood of man. Surrounded, as he is, with an affectionate and interesting farnily and all the comforts of a happy home, he is what you might truly call a successful man.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 426-427.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ALBERT N. MANN, Dallas, Texas. - This successful and prominent business man was originally from Indiana, having been born at Mount Vernon in 1856. His parents were Albert and P. G. Mann, both natives of Indiana; the mother is still living. The parents came to Texas in 1879, where the father followed merchandising until his death in 1884. They had eight children, of whom Albert N. was the fifth in order of birth.
   Albert N. Mann grew to manhood in his native State, attending the Indiana State Normal School at Bloomington, and came to Texas with his parents in 1879. When free delivery was first instituted in Dallas, he was one of the first force of carriers. He afterward became bookkeeper for W. D. Knowles, who was State manager for the New Home sewing machine, and it is there he gained an insight into the business, which has since proven so prosperous under his control. When Mr. Knowles resigned, Mr. Mann became State manager, which position he fills in a very creditable manner. He has branches at Waco, Fort Worth and Dallas. In 1890 the New Home machine reached 5,503 sales, and the business is prosperous and constantly increasing.
   Mr. Mann was married in 1881, to Miss  Knowles, a native of Indiana, who came to Texas in ber youth. She is the daughter of W. T. Knowles, the former manager. Mr. and Mrs. Mann have two children, Grace Mann and Eloise Mann. Mr. Mann is independent in his political views, and socially belongs to the Knights of Pythias. He is wide-awake and enterprising, and is probably one of the most successful sewing-machine men in the State.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 427-428.
- o o o -


Back to Index
LOUIS M. T. FLOOK, a prominent farmer of Dallas county, was born in Maryland in 1848, the third of nine children born to Daniel and Elizabeth (Mumma) Flook. The families both came originally from Germany, and first settled in Pennsylvania. The present family lived in that State with their parents, where they resided Until the death of their father, Daniel Flook. Of the nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Flook, only five survive, namely:
1. William S. Flook, a farmer of Maryland
2. Louis M. T. Flook
3. John P. Flook, who resides in Anderson county, Kansas
4. Millard F. Flook, of Maryland
5. Fannie E. Flook, Wife of John Ahalt, of Maryland

The remaining four died when small. The father died in Maryland in 1871, on the farm on which he was reared, and his widow still resides in this county witli her children. The father was a member of the German Reformed, and the mother of the United Brethren Church.
   Louis M. T. Flook, was educated in the common schools of his native county, which he attended until the age of twenty years, but only went a short time each year, and therefore acquired only a limited education. By close application to study he has so informed himself that he is a recognized authority on most subjects open for discussion. He came to this county in 1875, and settled on the farm which he now owns, one mile west of Garland, where he purchased 150 acres. He now has the entire acreage under cultivation, has erected a splendid residence, and one of the finest barns in the locality, together with other necessary out-buildings. He has added 205 acres to the original purchase, and now has the entire farm under cultivation, 280 acres of which is in corn, wheat and cotton. This year his wheat averaged seventeen and a half bushels per acre, corn from twenty-five to thirty bushels per acre, and cotton one-half bale per acre. He also owns another farm of 150 acres, besides some timber land.
   Mr. Flook was married in 1874, to Miss Mary C. Bechtol, daughter of Daniel and Mahali (Biser) Bechtol. To Mr. and Mrs. Flook have been born six children:
1. Delia V. Flook
2. Fannie E. Flook, deceased
3. Charles D. Flook
4. Millard H. Flook
5. Walter V. Flook, deceased
6. Hattie M Flook.

Both parents are members of the Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 428.
- o o o -


Back to Index
CHARLES MEISTERHAUS, the popular and efficient representative of William J. Lemp, of St. Louis, Missouri, has a been a resident of Dallas county since 1870. He was born in Switzerland in 1844, where he grew to mature years and acquired a good education. At the age of twenty-four years he came to America, believing that the new world offered wider opportunities than the old. He came from New Orleans, the point at which he landed, to Dallas county, Texas, where his uncle, Mr. Bohl, was a well-known citizen and at that time Clerk of the county. Mr. Bohl gave his nephew a position under him, and there he acquired a thorough knowledge of the English used in the business world.
   In 1871 Mr. Meisterhaus was united in marriage to Mrs. Yetcer, a native of Baden, Germany. She owned a brewery, of which Mr. Meisterhaus took charge, conducting it very successfully until the State tax was levied upon beer of home manufacture. He then abandoned this occupation, and secured the position of representative of William J. Lemp, of St. Louis, Missouri. He has been his chief agent in Texas since, the main office being located at Dallas. He travels extensively throughout the State, and has a wide acquaintance in commercial circles.
   In his political thought and action Mr. Meisterhaus is independent, casting his vote for the man best fitted in his estimation to discharge the duties of the office. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Knights of Honor. The German Lutheran Church has expressed his religious convictions, and he has been for many years an active member of the society.
   Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Meisterhaus, Charles Meisterhaus and Elizabeth Meisterhaus. They occupy a handsome residence in Dallas, and are surrounded with all the comforts and luxuries of modern civilization.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 428-429.
- o o o -


Back to Index
E. A. GRACEY, a prosperous and prominent Dallas county fariner, was born in Bond county, Illinois, March 13, 1837, the youngest son of eleven children of William and Isabella M. (Harris) Gracey, natives of South Carolina, of Scotch and Irish descent and pioneer settlers of Illinois.
   At the age of thirteen years Mr. Gracey came to Texas, by way of steamboat to New Orleans and thence up the Red river to Jefferson, Texas, whence he walked to the three forks of the Trinity, now Dallas city, a distance of 200 miles. For the first three months here he was employed by Colonel John M. Crockett, at $12 a month; and the rest of that year he assisted his brother in Ellis (now Johnson) county, in the improvement of his farm, and for a time with an ox team, broke prairie, etc., for different parties. In the fall of 1854, with Colonel M. T. Johnson (after whom Johnson county was named) and Captain Robert Sloan, he went to Fort Belknap as a prospector for the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company. From the fall of that year until 1860, he was engaged in the live-stock business. Next he joined a party of rangers, who were scouts and had several fights with the Indians. They killed one Indian, captured two, and recaptured nine horses at one time, and thirteen at another.
   After a year thus engaged the great Civil war broke out, and Mr. Gracey enlisted in Company H, Captain J. B. Barry, of the First Texas Cavalry, Colonel H. E. McCullough commanding. They took the first line of posts vacated by the United States forces on the frontier of Texas; next were at Camp Cooper, when that was surrendered to the Confederates, and remained there until April, 1862, ten months, during which time they were in eight engagements with Indians, killing seventeen of the red savages, and captured forty-seven head of horses, and losing four men killed and thirteen wounded, besides two mortally frightened, at least they were never heard from afterward. In April, 1862, the company was reorganized, when Mr. Gracey was elected Lieutenant. They were then ordered to Fort Mason, thence to San Antonio, and thence to, Ringgold barracks on the Rio Grande, to hold the Mexicans in check. During this campaign they had at one time to do without bread for twenty-four. days. From Ringgold barracks they were ordered to Brownsville, whence they were, sent with a detachment into Mexico, to buy mules for the Confederate Government. They purchased sixty head, near Monterey, at $7 each. Next they were sent to Corpus Christi, Goliad and Sabine Pass, at which latter place they had a battle with United States troops, captured two gunboats and 160 prisoners. Here Mr. Gracey was promoted First Lieutenant. Next the company was sent to Niblett's Bluff, where they entered winter quarters.
   In March they were sent to Mansfield, Louisiana, to meet Banks coming up Red river. On the 8th of April they had an engagement with him, and followed up his retreat to Yellow Bayou, where they engaged him again. During the remainder of the sammer they picketed the line, and then went into winter quarters at Keeebie, Louisiana, and were there when Lee surrendered at Appomattox. June 15 following, they were disbanded.
   Returning to Dallas county, Mr. Gracey was married, August 27, 1865, to Miss Martha Amanda Matlock, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of A. C. and Malvina M. (Harris) Matlock, and they have had fourteen children, five of whom died in infancy. The living are:
1. Malvina Isabella Matlock, now the wife of L. M. Goforth, of Hall county
2. Ann White Matlock
3. Lee Matlock
4. Effie Matlock
5. Laura Matlock
6. Addie Matlock
7. John Matlock
8. Walter Matlock
9. Jo Matlock

After his marriage Mr. Gracey settled upon his present farm, which then consisted of 185 acres of wild land, which he improved, and added to, until he now is the owner of 340 acres of Dallas county's best soil, besides 640 acres in Hall county. Ever since his location here he has followed farming and stock-raising. In 1874 he put up a cotton gin, which he remodeled in 1889, giving it a capacity of twenty-five bales per day, and is now doing an extensive business in ginning. He, now resides in the village of Lisbon, of which he is the founder, and where he gave a lot of three acres for a church and burying ground, built a blacksmith shop, and obtained the establishment of a post office.
   During the administration of Governor E. J. Davis, he was cattle inspector. He is a charter member of Oak Cliff Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which denomination his wife and four of the children are also members. Mr. Gracey is a self-made man, his prosperity being due to his own industry and well directed efforts.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 429-430.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM J. HALSELL came to Texas in 1852 and located in Dallas county, near the city of Dallas. Two years later he moved to Dallas; and from 1854 to 1858 followed blacksmithing, he being both a blacksmith and a carpenter. He erected several buildings there. In 1859 he married and settled near where Richardson has since sprung up. In 1860 he took charge, of a store at Breckenridge, selling goods for Smith & Murphy of Dallas, and remaining there two years. In 1862 he enlisted in a squadron, Colonel R. M. Gano, and left Texas for Kentucky, with the understanding that they were to act as body guard to General Breckenridge. After arriving in Kentucky, however, they were transferred to Morgan's command, and remained with him up to the time of his capture in eastern. Ohio. Mr. Halsell was first taken to Johnson's Island, soon afterward to the penitentiary at Allegheny city, and eight months later was exchanged. While at Point Lookout he took sick, was sent from there to Washington and then to Fort Delaware, where he remained until the close of the war. He was in many skirmishes, but received only slight wounds. Returning home in August, 1865, he resumed the occupation of farming, improved a new farm, and followed agricultural pursuits until 1881. He then came to Richardson, which at that time contained only a few buildings. He bought a house to live in, and in 1882 began selling goods, he being the second merchant in the town. Richardson is now a thriving town and a good trading place. Mr. Halsell carries a well-assorted stock of general merchandise, and deals in produce.
   William J. Halsell was born near Bowling Green, Kentucky, in August, 1830. He was reared on a farm in that State and remained there until coming to Texas, as above stated. His father, William Halsell, was also a native of Kentucky. His mother, nee Miss Mary Garland, was a daughter of Jack Garland. The latter went to Kentucky at an early day; was a school teacher; afterward moved to Missouri, and died there at near the age of 100 years. William J. Halsell was the third born of their eight children. He has one brother living in Texas, who is now serving as County Commissioner.
   Mr. Halsell's marriage has already been referred to. The lady he wedded was Miss Martha Huffhines, a member of a distinguished and highly respected family of this State. Her parents, John and Elizabeth Huffhines, natives of Kentucky and of German descent, came to Texas in 1853, and became prominent pioneers here. To Mr. and Mrs. Halsell five children have been born:
Mollie B. Halsell, September 15, 1870
Sarah C. Halsell, October 10, 1872
Cindarella Halsell, November 16, 1874
John C. Halsell, December 19, 1877
Elijah H. Halsell, July 17, 1881.

Mr. Halsell has served as Magistrate four years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and his family belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 430-431.
- o o o -


Back to Index
FREDRICK M. MOUSER, one of the successful farmers of Precinct No. 3, Dallas county, Texas, was born in Kentucky, in 1835, he being the oldest of the eight children born to John and Nancy L. (Hargrave) Mouser, natives of Kentucky. Both the Hargrave and Mouser families were of German descent, their ancestors having moved from North Carolina to Kentucky at an early day. John Mouser was a prominent and successful farmer, and is still living on the place on which he was born in 1811. He is an honored and highly esteemed citizen, and for many years has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. His wife died in 1889, at the advanced age of seventy-seven years. She was a consistent member of the same church. The names of their children are as follows:
1. Fredrick M. Mouser
2. William F. Mouser, deceased
3. John W. Mouser, a resident of Marion county, Kentucky
4. Mary E. Mouser, who was the wife of Henry Sparrow, is deceased
5. George Mouser, deceased
6. G. Mouser, deceased
7. T. Mouser, a farmer, resides at Bryan, Texas
8. M. Mouser, a resident of Marion county, Kentucky
9. Nanny L. Mouser, deceased.

Fredrick M. Mouser received a common school education, and at the age of twenty commenced life for himself. He was married that year (1855) to Miss Sophia Plannagan, daughter of Austin and Margaret (Shuck) Flannagan, natives of Kentucky and Pennsylvania respectively, and of Irish and German descent. In 1858 Mr. Mouser came to Texas and settled where we find him today. Here he purchased sixty-tbree acres of land, at a cost of $7 per acre. He has since added to his first purchase eighty-two acres, and now has under cultivation ninety-four acres. He makes a specialty of raising fine horses; has some very flne-bred horses of Morgan, Black Hawk and Hambletonian stock; and has a colt sired by a Morgan horse that is said to be one one of the finest colts in the County.
   During the war Mr. Mouser served in the Confederate army, and after the surrender and his return home he found himself without anything save his land and his family. His fences all down, his land laid waste, no money, and only one horse, he was compelled to rent land for two years, or until he could get his own farm in condition to cultivate. From that time he has been successful. He now has a splendid farm, good buildings, etc., and is ranked with the prosperous farmers of his precinct.
   Mr. Mouser and his wife are the parents of eight children:
John A. Mouser, a farmer of this county
William P. Mouser, deceased
Fannie B. Mouser, wife of I. N. Range, of this county
Charles B. Mouser, who resides in Dallas
Matilda A. Mouser, wife of Charles Spillman, of this county
James O. Mouser
Eddie B. Mouser, at home.

Mr. and Mrs. Mouser are members of the St. Paul Catholic Chrch of Dallas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 431-432.
- o o o -


Back to Index
B. G. LANHAM, a farmer and stock raiser living in precinct No. 3, Dallas county, Texas, was born in Franklin county, Missouri, January 14, 1820. He was the fifth born in the farnily of eight children of Sylvester and Jane (Estes) Lanham, natives of Kentucky and Virginia respectively. Mr. Lanham moved to Missouri when that State was yet a Territoryand located in what was afterward Franklin county. He served in the Winnebago campaign for a short time. In 1814 he joined the American army for the war with Great Britain, but peace being declared soon afterward, he saw no active service. During Mr. Lanham's residence in Franklin county, the earthquake occurred in New Madrid and other points in southeastern Missouri, and was so serious in Franklin county that many chimneys were felled to the ground. From Missouri he moved to Morgan county, Illinois. This was about 1828. After living there seven years he went to Adams county, where he remained about the same length of time. As the country settled up he moved from place to place, ever seeking the frontier. Next he located on the Pratt purchase in Missouri, then in Andrew county, next to Nodaway county, same State, where he lived until 1853. That year he harnessed his team and started across the country for Texas, arriving in Dallas county and taking up his abode at the place, where his son, B. G. Lanham, now lives. In making this trip they were seven weeks on the road. Arriving here December 24, 1853, he and his son immediately purchased a farm of 600 acres. Eight acres of the soil had been broken and a little log house had been built, these being the only improvements on the place. Although game was plenty here the senior Mr. Lanbani found himself too old to enjoy the pleasures of the chase. He died at this place in 1863, at the age of seventy-two or seventy-three years. His wife lived until 1868, when she died, at the age of seventy-one. Of the eight children born to them all lived to be grown. Their names are as follows:
Margaret Lanham, wife of Isaac Elam, died, leaving a family in this county
Curtis H. Lanham, resides in Rockwall county, Texas
Lucy Lanham, wife of Jacob Sheppard, of Nodaway county, Missouri
Clary Lanham, wife of Andy Sheppard, of the State of Washington
B. G. Lanham
Druzilla Lanham, wife of J. K. Allen, is deceased
Hiram Lanham, deceased
Julia A. Lanham, wife Jonathan Cook, is deceased.

B. G. Lanham's educational opportunities were limited in youth, but in later life he has made up for those deficiencies by observation and reading, and keeps himself well posted on the general topics of the day. He landed in Texas with more money than most of the early settlers, he having $1,600 in cash. For the 600 acres already alluded to they paid $1,000. A few years afterward the title failed to be good, and after having a suit he was compelled to give up half of the land. Game was plenty then and Mr. Lanham says his early days in Texas afford him some of his happiest recollections.
   In 1862 Mr. Lanham joined the Confederate army and served in the trans-Mississippi department; was on the frontier all the time with the exception of three months spent on the coast. At the close of the war he returned home, and, like many others, found himself a financial wreck, having only his land his stock all gone. He is now engaged in stockraising, although not having as much stock as before the war. Ile makes a specialty of horses, having some fine Specimens on his farm.
   Mr. Lanham has been twice married. When he was twenty-five he wedded Miss Emma Clark, of Andrew county, Missouri, daughter of Samuel and Nancy Clark. Two children were born to them: Julia A. Lanham, wife of William Glover of this county, and Hiram Lanham, of Coleman county, Texas. His first wife died in 1854, and in 1856 he married Miss Mary A. Beaman, daughter of Samuel and Polly (Smeleer) Beaman, natives of Illinois who came here at an early day. This union was blessed by the birth of eight children, two of whom died when small.
Jacob S. Lanham resides in this county
Samuel S. Lanham, of Clay county, Texas
Sarah J. Lanham, wife of Alexander Dickey, of Johnson county, Texas
Franklin Lanham, Clay county, Texas
Catherine Lanham, wife of Brance Furggerson, of this county
William Lanham, at home with his parents.

Mr. Lanham is a member of the Farmers' Alliance of Dallas county.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 432-433.
- o o o -

  (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)