Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

To Dallas County Archives main page

 

(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
L. S. GARRISON is the secretary and general manager of the Dallas Consolidated Traction Railway Company, a position he has held since early in the year 1890. He has been a citizen of Dallas since March, 1881, and immediately opened the Pacific Express Company's office, which he conducted until he resigned to accept his present position.  He was born in Schoharie county, New York, in 1850, the youngest of four children born to Aaron and Althena (Sherman) Garrison, "York Staters" by birth and of English descent. The paternal grandfather was in the Colonial army during the Revolutionary war. Aaron Garrison was one of the first homeopathic physicians of this country, and in 1855 became a resident of La Salle county, Illinois, settled at Mendota, in which city and the surrounding country he built up a very extensive practice. In 1861, Quincy, Illinois, became his place of abode, but some years later he moved to Columbia, Missouri, where he was called from life in 1868, at which time he was in the active practice of his profession. His widow resides in Solano county, California.
     L. S. Garrison was educated in the schools of Mendota, Illinois, and finished his education in the State University at Columbia, Missouri and afterward at Cornell University, New York, which institution he entered in 1869, class of 1873. He then entered the United States Express office at Moberly, Missouri, and a short time after was made private secretary of the Missouri division of the United States Express Company, with headquarters at St. Louis. In that year he went to California and embarked in the canning of fruit at San Jose, being connected with the Golden Gate Packing Company, but upon his return to Missouri once more engaged in the express business, and in the winter of 1880 opened the first Pacific Express office in Texas. In March, 1881, as above stated, Dallas became his home.
     He was married in St. Louis, in 1873, to Mrs. Amelia Amanda McMaster, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, natives of Ohio, in which State the father lived and died. The mother is now a resident of Kent, Ohio. By her first marriage Mrs. Garrison became the mother of two children: Wallace V. and Mary Frances, the member of the School Board.
     He was married in this city, in 1879, to Miss Hattie Rice, a native of Dallas County, and a daughter of Dr. Anderson and Zeriah Rice, natives of Kentucky. The father was a prominent physician of Dallas in the early days, and his death occurred in this city many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have had four children - Claude, Charley, Graham and Henry.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 339.
- o o o -

Back to Index
BRANCH TUCKER is a native of Tennessee, born July 2, 1853. At the age of 14 years he left home, went to Middle Tennessee, and for three years worked for his board, clothing and schooling. At the end of that time he hired to the same man with whom he had been living, continuously with him a year longer. He then went to William county and worked one year, and the next year put in a crop for himself. On the 24th day of the following February, he was married to Miss Adda Barrett. He farmed there one year after his marriage and then went to Kentucky. Three years later he returned to Tennessee and after staying seven months went back to Kentucky. From there, in the fall of 1881, he came to Texas. He rented and cultivated the Dr. Jones farm six years, at the end of which time he was enabled to purchase 50 acres of land. This farm had a little house on it at the time he purchased, and here he has since continued to reside and make further improvements. He now has it all fenced, 28 acres being under cultivation and the rest in pasture. When he came to Texas Mr. Tucker had only $50 in money, and when he went to Dallas to get his household goods he had just $20, and he made it go as far as he could. By industry and good management he has been successful in his various undertakings and now has a comfortable home.

     Of Mr. Tucker's parents we record that his father, James Tucker, died in1878, aged 62 years, and mother Easter (Mercer) Tucker, died in 1861, at the age of 35 years. They had a family of five children.

     Mrs. Tucker's father, John T. Barrett, was born in Hawkins county, Tennessee, and died in 1862. Her mother's maiden name was Jane Baily. After the death of Mr. Barrett she was united in marriage with Elijah Tucker in 1869. She is now 60 years of age. By her first marriage she had seven children: Elijah Barrett; William, deceased; Joseph; Liene, wife of W.B. Harrow; Adda, wife of Branch Tucker; John and Rufus, both deceased. By Mr. Tucker she has three children: William, Mary and Martha (twins).

     Mr. and Mrs. Branch Tucker have had 11 children born to them, as follows: Maggie, November 3, 1873, died January 28, 1891; Lulie, September 14, 1875, died December 23, 1875; Florence, September 8, 1876; Lewis F., July 7, 1879; Emma, June 3, 1882; Mary, November 7, 1884; Henry, October 19, 1886; Adda, November 28, 1888, died December 28, 1888; Gertrude, December 16, 1890. Then they had infant, unnamed, that died December 29, 1880.

     Mrs. Tucker is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 346.
- o o o -


Back to Index
SAMUEL L. RANDLETT, Jr., son of Samuel L. and Eliza V. (Parkerson) Randlett, was born in St. Mary's parish, Louisiana, in 1865. His father was born in the State of Indiana in 1819, and there resided until 1835. That year he moved to St. Mary's Parish, Louisiana, and resided with his father, John Randlett, until the latter's death, which occurred in 1862. In 1850 he purchased a plantation of 1,100 acres, which he operated up to the time of his death in 1882. In 1861 he enlisted in the Fifth Louisiana Cavalry, in Captain Gordy's Company. In 1862 he was detailed to serve in the Commissary department, under Captain Kerr, which position he held until the close of the war. In politics he was an old-line Whig. He was an active member and liberal supporter of the Episcopal church; was prominent in the Masonic circles, having been a member for 40 years and having held high positions in Master Mason, Royal Arch and Knight Templar degrees. Generosity and honesty were his most prominent characteristics. The mother of our subject was born in Louisiana in 1827, daughter of James and Mary (Drehr) Parkerson, her father a native of Sweden and her mother of South Carolina. Her parents moved from South Carolina to Louisiana in 1812, going overland by the way of Natchez, Mississippi, to the parish of East Feliciana, thence to St. Mary's parish, where he still resides. Mr. Randlett's paternal grandmother was a Catholic and still adheres to the faith. Her education was acquired in a convent. His mother was of a very kind, generous and affectionate disposition; was a zealous member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Randlett is the next to the youngest in a family of seven children, as follows:

1. James, who died in childhood
2. Lyman was killed when young by being thrown from a horse
3. Kate is now the wife of Rev. G.R. Scott, a Baptist minister at Montague County, Texas.
4. Elnora, deceased, was the wife of James W. Reilly, manager of a sugar plantation in St. Mary's parish, Louisiana
5. Alice, widow of Edward C. Atkinson, assistant superintendent of the Houston Direct Navigation Company. She still resides at Houston, Texas
6. Samuel L. Randlett, the subject of this biography
7.  Warren, died July 1889, at Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas.

     Samuel L. Randlett received a very good education at Franklin, Louisiana, and remained at home with his parents until 1881, in which year he moved to Texas and located in Houston, where he apprenticed himself to an engineer. He remained there four years and then returned to Louisiana obtained a position of assistant superintendent on a sugar plantation. He was afterward promoted to superintendent, remained thus employed until 1889. That year he moved to Lancaster, Texas, and immediately engaged in the hardware, furniture and undertaking business. He was married in 1889 to Miss Addie H. White. , daughter of W.L. and Louisa F. White. They have one child, Louise, born May 15, 1891. In politics Mr. Randlett is a strong Democrat and adheres strictly to party rules. He is a member of the Episcopal church, while his wife is associated with the Baptist denomination.
   
     Mr. Randlett is young and energetic, well respected and highly spoken of by his neighbors and fellow men. He is kind-hearted and liberal and has recently contributed a considerable sum toward building a female seminary in his adopted town.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 675-676.
- o o o -


Back to Index
S. MAYER, brewer, Dallas, Texas.  If the old world had not contributed to the population of the new, Texas would not have reached its present high state of development. Germany has furnished her full quota of excellent men, and among them is Mr. Mayer, a resident of Dallas, and one of its substantial citizens. He came to America in 1875, and after a brief career in the East, made his advent into the Lone Star State, where he began business as a brewer, being the pioneer of that trade in Dallas and Fort Worth. He accumulated a handsome competency, settled in Dallas, and invested in real estate on Elm street; the smae is now very valuable property. Mr. Mayer has been one of the enterprising and progressive men of Dallas. His standing in society illustrates forcibly the truth, that

          "Honor and shame from no conditions rise
           Act well your part; there all the honor lies."

     Mr. Mayer has shown his appreciation of secret organizations by becoming a member of the Odd Fellow fraternity, and he is also a leading member of all the German societies.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 676.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM L. WHITE, deceased, for many years a prominent business man of Lancaster, and at his death probably the wealthiest man in the southern part of Dallas county, was born in White County, Tennessee, November 15, 1824, a son of Woodson P. and Nancy White, and a brother of Francis M. White, a sketch of whom appears in this work and contains their family biography.

     William L. White was reared in White county, Tennessee. When about 13 years old he commenced clarking in his father's store of general merchandise in Sparta and continued in that business until his father's death. He afterward went into the mercantile business with his uncle, J.G. Mitchell, at the same place.

     In about 1846 he was elected clerk of the branch bank of the Tennessee Bank, located at Sparta, in which capacity he remained about six years. During this time he lived miles inthe country, riding horseback each day over rough, mountainous roads, braving all kinds of weather, promptly and faithfully filling his position at the bank, also superintending his farm work at home.

     In the spring of 1854 he made his first visit to Texas, remained about three weeks, returned to Tennessee and brought his family to Texas the following October, bought and improved a 640-acre tract, now owned by J. P. Apperson. After coming to this county, Mr. White was for a number of years engaged in the stock business, buying and selling horses and mules, in which he made considerable money. In 1860, he removed to Lancaster, where, in the fall of that year, he opened a dry goods store and was so engaged during the war. In 1865, his brother-in-law, John T. Ellis, became a partner, but later William L. White sold his interest to his brother, Francis M. White. During the war, he was also engaged in the milling business, operating, what was then known as the Keller Mill, at Lancaster, which was then the only mill at that place, and during that time, he was also Postmaster. After selling his interest in the dry goods business, Mr. White began handling cattle, and was actively engaged at that for a number of years, buying in western and central Texas and shipping or driving to Junction City and Abilene, Kansas, New Orleans and Shreveport, Louisiana, and other places. When the cattle busines went down he began handling cotton, and was also interested in farming. Having considerable money of his own and business connections with parties East, he was engaged in the brokerage business, in which he made a great deal of money, and in fact was successful in everything he undertook and at his death left a large estate. He was a man of clear head, good foresight and great adaptability, and was the financier of Lancaster and vicinity for many years. He died at Nashville, Tennessee, May 28, 1881, while there for treatment under the celebrated Dr. Briggs, and was buried at the cemetery at Lancaster. Mr. White was always interested in the welfare of the community inwhich he resided, and took a leading part in every public enterprise. Five years before his death he made a bright profession of faith in Christ.

     He was married in White County, Tennessee, to Lucinda F., a daughter of Samuel Turney, a prominent and at that day a well-known lawyer of Sparta, Tennessee. This lady accompanied her husband to Texas, and died a few months later near Wilmer, in the southern part of the county. She had two children;

1. Woodson P., who is now a citizen of Dallas county
2. Sophronia, who died young.

     Six years after the death of his first wife, William L. white was married, April 17, 1860, to Louisa F., the youngest child of Thomas M. and Mary Ellis. To this union were born seven children as follows:

1. Addie H., the wife of Samuel L. Randlett, of Lancaster
2. Minnie E.
3. William L.
4. Hallie E.
5. Karl L.
6. Lula Pearl, twin of Byrd E.
7. Byrd E., twin of Lula Pearl

     The children still reside with their mother. Mrs. White is a member of the Baptist Church and gives of her means to that and other worthy causes. She has acted as guardian for the six youngest children, developing a wonderful business woman and devoted mother, as best she could filling her own and that of her deceased husband.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 366-67.
- o o o -


Back to Index
CHARLES FRANKLIN BARHAM, D.D.S., was born in the State of Arkansas in September, 1853, and is a son of J. M. and Lucy J. (Greer) Barham, natives of Kentucky and Tennessee respectively. The father emigrated to Arkansas in early days, and was one of the pioneers of that State. He was killed in the late war. The mother was born and reared in Nashville, Tennessee, and now resides in Arkansas. They had born to them eight children, the Doctor being the fifth-born. He passed his youth in his native State, and attended the common schools. He acquired a good education, and began life as a teacher, following this profession for two years. In 1878, he took up the study of dentistry, which he pursued at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. He was graduated in the spring of 1884, taking the degree of D. D. S. He went to Hope, Arkansas, and there established himself in a paying practice. In 1886, he came to Texas, and located at Terrell, where he remained one year, coming at the end of that time to Dallas. He is a member of the Texas State Dental Association, and has won an enviable standing in professional circles. He is a careful operator, and is well posted on all the improved methods of treatment.

     In his political opinions the Doctor is a Democrat, "dyed in the wool." He is a member of the Amity Lodge, No. 108, Knights of Pythias. He is a man of honor and integrity, and is entirely worthy of the esteem in which he is held.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 366.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM PERRY OVERTON - It is both a privilege and pleasure to the biographer to record the genealogy and career of one who is a source of pride to his county, a credit to his State, and an honor to his parents. Unless preserved by the historian, the hardships and deprivations endured by the pioneer, while not equal in interest to the Arabian Nights, may come to seem equally incredible; and the names of those men and women who pushed their way to the frontier, making the way for the advance of civilization, cannot be written too high among the honored of the earth.

     In 1844, on the 28th day of November, the seventh actual settler of Dallas county, Texas, arrived in the person of William Perry Overton, a native of Chariton county, Missouri, born February 2, 1822, and a son of Aaron and Rachel (Cameron) Overton. Aaron Overton, a Virginian by birth, was a son of Jesse and Elizabeth Overton, the mother a half-breed Cherokee. The Overton family were of English ancestry, and were members of the early Virginia colonies, taking a prominent part in the Revolutionary war. The maternal grandfather of William P. Overton was John Cameron, of Scotch descent, who also did gallant service in the struggles of the American colonies for independence, before he was wounded while on courier duty. Being surrounded by Tories, he threw up his old coon-skin cap, crying, "Hurrah for King George!" and succeeded in galloping through the British lines!

     Aaron Overton was reared to the occupation of a farmer in his native State, and was there married; immediately after this event he started with his bride for the West, when the West was still east of the Mississippi river. For a time he resided in East Tennessee, and then removed to the western part of the State. Not having reached the place he was seeking, he determined to push on to the limits of the frontier, and this he did, going to Chariton county, Missouri. There, in company with his son-in-law, he opened the salt works, and followed the business for some time. About 1824 he disposed of his interest in that place, and moved to what is now Jackson county, Missouri, where he was among the first permanent settlers. He located on a farm which he brought to a high state of cultivation before selling it. He next went to Independence, Missouri, and there built the first steam mill in Jackson county; he followed milling and agricultural pursuits in connection therewith for several years, improving a farm of 4,000 acres.

     In 1844, he determined to make another change, and in company with his sons, C. C. and William Perry Overton, he came to Texas, making the journey in primitive style with an ox team, and consuming two months' time. He located in Dallas county and took up a headright where Oak Cliff now stands; there he built a horse mill, having a capacity of 100 bushels of wheat a day; this was the first mill erected in Dallas county, and customers came a distance of 100 miles. Mr. Overton conducted this mill until 1851, when he built a water mill, and two years later he built that is now known as the Honey Springs Mill; this he owned and operated in connection with agricultural pursuits until his death. He made a trip to Missouri each fall until 1847, when he brought his family to the Lone Star State. His death occurred in 1860, and at the age of 76 years; his wife survived him until 1874, when she, too, passed to the realm beyond; she had attained the age of 87 years. Thus ended the lives of a useful man and woman; they were possessed of many excellent traits of character, and those virtues which win and hold the affections. There were born to them 12 children, 11 of whom lived to rear families and seven of whom still survive.

     William Perry Overton, the ninth of the family in order of birth, passed his childhood surrounded by the quiet influences of nature; his education was gained in the primitive log schoolhouse, where the children of the pioneer settlers were wont to gather to con the rule of three and trace the English script with the ancient quill pen. In 1844 he came with his father to Dallas county, Texas, and took up a headright adjoining that of his father; he built a house, made many valuable improvements, and devoted himself to agriculture and milling until 1850. The tide of emigration was still sweeping strongly to the Pacific coast, carrying in its flow of thousands of gold-seekers. In the spring of 1850, Mr. Overton joined the caravan crossing the plains, California being the destination of the party; he want as far as El Paso with ox teams, and there traded the oxen for mules; the journey was begun April 21, and was completed September 17, the following autumn, the company arriving at San Diego on that date. Mr. Overton at once engaged in the search of the yellow dust, and for 18 months devoted his energies to mining. In 1853, however, he traded his headright to his father for the Honey Springs, where he still lives. We find him again in Texas, carrying on a milling business at Honey Springs mill; this pursuit occupied him until 1866, when he returned to the vocation of his youth, farming.

     He was united in the bonds of marriage, July 22, 1847, to Miss Martha Ann Newton, a native of Saline County, Missouri, and a daughter of William Newton; her father was a blacksmith by trade, and was employed in the Indian nation of Kohu river by Richard Cunnings, the Indian agent; he settled in Dallas County, Texas in 1845. To Mr. and Mrs. Overton were born seven children, three of whom are living.

1. Aubrey L. Overton
2. William W. Overton
3. Mollie A. Overton
4. Alonzo Overton who died January 22, 1880, at the age of 26 years
5. Caswell Overton who died January 31, 1875, aged 17 years

     The mother of these children passed from the scenes of earth November 10, 1884. Mr. Overton's second marriage occurred July 22, 1885, when he was wedded to Mrs. Jessie F. Price, a daughter of Henry C. Davis. Mr. Davis was a native of Hampshire, England, and of a good family, was killed on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad, at the age of 73 years. No man was more deservedly loved than Grandpa Davis.

     The home of this worthy pioneer was in early days the home of the weary traveler, the haven of the foot-sore and the weary. During the late war it was a hospital for sick and disabled soldiers; there a cordial welcome has always been for the needy or oppressed, and the hospitality of the host has only been bounded by the necessity of the occasion. The residence of William Perry Overton was erected in 1853-1854, and the first frame house in the county; the timber was hauled from Palestine, Anderson county, Texas, and the entire structure is an excellent state of preservation. William Perry Overton is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and his wife of the Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 706-708.
- o o o -


Back to Index
W.W. OVERTON was born on the old Overton homestead in Dallas county, Texas, April 6, 1859, youngest son of William Perry Overton. He was reared on the farm and received a common school education. He remained at home assisting his parents on the farm until he attained his majority. He was married May 11, 1881, to Miss Polly Willick, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of William Sophia (Weapot) Willick. Her parents were natives of Germany, were married in the old country and came to the United States, first settling in Wisconsin and later in Illinois. After a residence of 12 years in the latter State they came to Texas; subsequently returned to Illinois and a short time later came back to Texas. Mr. Willick died in Texas in 1876, and his wife in 1888. After his marriage Mr. Overton settled on his present farm, 100 acres of improved land, all under a high state of cultivation, and here he has since been engaged in farming and stock-raising. He and his wife are the parents of four children, three of whom are living: Carl Perry, Albert Lee and Cassie. Freddie Alvin died when 18 months old.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 922-923.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM BROWN MILLER, a pioneer of Dallas county, was born in Madison county, Kentucky, in 1807, the second of seven children born to John and Mary (Brown) Miller, natives of Kentucky. The father moved to Madison county, Alabama, in 1818, and opened up a farm, and his death occurred in that State in 1864; his wife survived him until after the war.

     William Brown Miller, whose name introduces this brief sketch, was reared to farm life and educated in the public schools of Madison county, and also at the academy at Huntsville, Alabama. He subsequently rented land and engaged in farming, but in 1834 began merchandising at New Market, Alabama, which he followed two years, when, on account of the Henry Clay bankrupt law, he failed in business. He then moved to Tennessee and again engaged in farming for 10 years, after which, in 1847, he came to Dallas county, settling in Precinct No. 1. In 1856, he bought 562 acres of land where he now resides, but later sold 70 acres of land where he now resided, but later sold 70 acres for $30 an acre, and afterward bought two acres back, giving therefore $12,500! and he still owns a part of the original 562 acres.
     For 45 years, William Brown Miller has ranked as one of the foremost and most honorable citizens of Dallas county, a model farmer and raiser of fine stock and fruits, with eminent success; and now, at the advanced age of 85 years, enjoys the esteem of the community as fully as any man living. Unpretentious, affable and accommodating, he is a model man and citizen. In politics, he is a steadfast Democrat.
     He was married in Madison county, Alabama, in 1828, to Elizabeth Waddy, a native of that State, whose ancestry on one side is traceable back to the Cherokee Indians, noblest specimen of their race. By this marriage there was one child - Charilaus, who is married and resides in the Cherokee nation, in the Indian Territory. He was a gallant Colonel in the Confederate Army from Texas, has seen much of the world, spent several years in California, and is a very popular man. He is familiarly denominated "Crill." At present he is in very poor health. His mother died in Alabama in 1835, and in 1837 Mr. Miller, Sr., our subject, married Minerva Barnes, also a native of Madison county, Kentucky, and daughter of Jesse and Patsy (Olden) Barnes, also natives of Kentucky. In 1844 Mr. Barnes moved to Jackson county, Missouri, where he subsequently died. This Mrs. Miller died in 1856, after having had five children:

1. Alonzo, who died about 1855
2. Martha, wife of W. C. Leonard, of Kaufman county
3. Mary, wife of Mrs. Guess
4. Elizabeth, now Mrs. John Edmonson
5, Susan, now Mrs. Dr. Ewing of Dallas

     William Brown Miller was again married, in Dallas, in 1860, to Mrs. Emma Miller, widow of Madison M. Miller and daughter of Silas H. and Amy (Spencer) Dewey, natives of New York. The parents were married at Cooperstown, New York, and later emigrated to Ohio, where the father engaged in farming. The grandmother Dewey, previously Miss Hyde, was a granddaughter of Lord Chancellor Hyde. The maternal grandfather, a Wescott, was of Indian origin, and grandfather, Eliphalet Dewey, participated in the Revolutionary War. Silas H. Dewey came to Walker county, Texas, in 1855, and his death occurred near Bloomfield, Missouri, in 1863; his wife died in Grayson county, Texas, in 1884.

Mr. and Mrs. Miller have had three children:

1. Charles
2. J. H.
3. Minnie, the wife of Barry Miller of Dallas.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 365-366.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN STUDEBAKER WITWER, Postmaster of Dallas, was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, June 11, 1850, a son of George Witwer, also a native  of Pennsylvania, and a minister of the gospel for 35 years. His maternal ancestors were the Studebakers, whose representatives  at South Bend, Indiana, are the greatest manufacturers of wheeled vehicles in the world, Postmaster Witwer being a nephew of the Studebaker Brothers. They were remotely of German origin. Rev. Witwer's labors were in Ohio, Indiana and Missouri, and therefor John Studebaker Witwer's life was one of frequent change. At the age of 20 he came southwest, and located for a brief period at Kosse, Texas, and in 1872 came to Dallas, where he established himself in the wagon  and buggy business. Although serving as Postmaster he still continues a successful business. Mr. Witwer has been identified with the business, educational and political interests of the city, having been a member of the City Council, member of the School Board and now one of the directors of the State National Bank, of Dallas.

     Mr. Witwer has always been a conservative Republican and was a delegate from his district to the Republican National Convention in Chicago in 1884. A thorough knowledge of the city's needs in her public service, gained by a 20 years' business career, and his splendid character and good standing with the people of Dallas pointed to his selection as the head of the postal department here. His selection for this office and his manner of conducting the same are ample proof of his qualifications for this important position. His commission from President Harrison bears date of July 19, 1889, and he entered upon the duties of the position September 16, following. As Postmaster, he has given entire satisfaction to the public and the management of the office is thorough and systematic. He is a man of good intellect and business tact, has a natural business ability and energetic disposition that will mark his way to success.

     On August 16, 1871, he married Miss Florence C. Buck, of LaPorte, Indiana. They have four children, two sons and two daughters. The family is donated with the Second Presbyterian Church.

     John Studebaker Witwer is the oldest of a family of 12 children, whose names are as follows:

1.  Rebecca Frances, wife of Daniel Sell, who died at the age of 20 years, leaving two sons: George and Clement

2.  Leah is the wife of Joseph Kopsey, who is a draftsman for the Studebakers in Chicago

3.  Maria Ada is the wife of John Mohler, of Joliet, Illinois. Mr. Mohler is foreman of the Joliet Manufacturing Company.

4.  Timothy Wilbur is cashier and confidential clerk for Studebaker Brothers in Chicago.

5.  George M. is occupying an important position at South Bend, with Studebaker Brothers

6.  Clement S. is superintendent of the Joliet Manufacturing Company at Joliet, Illinois

7.  Daniel V. died in infancy

8.  Edwin S. is employed and holding a responsible position with Studebaker Brothers at South Bend, Indiana.

9.  Dora died in infancy

10, 11.  Jacob Frank and Harvey are in the wagon and buggy business at Joliet, Illinois.

     Rev. George Witwer died 1 October 1886, at the age of 62 years. His wife is still living (1892), at the age of 62 years. Rev. Witwer was a minister of the gospel for 35 years, in the German Baptist Church.

     Mrs. Florence C. Buck Witwer's parents are: Alvin and Alvira (Wadsworth) Buck. The Wadsworths were of the same family, of Revolutionary fame.

     Alvin Buck was one of the pioneer settlers of LaPorte county, Indiana, having moved from Massachusetts after his marriage to LaPorte county early in the 1830s. He was a farmer and dairyman. He died 19 October 1881, at the age of 83 years. His wife is still living, (1892) at the age of 82 years. Although she has been blind for many years she is a remarkably healthy and happy woman.

     James and Dexter Buck are farmers and capitalists. Mrs. Buck has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church almost all her life. Her husband was one of 14 children and she was one of 12 children.

     Mrs. John S. Witwer is the youngest of six children, all of whom are living, (1892), namely:

1.  Lydia, who lives with her sister, Mrs. Edson

2. Cleantha, wife of David Edson who resides in Missouri

3.  Dexter is married to Miss Hattie Cartwright and resides in LaPorte, Indiana.  He is a retired merchant.

4.  James is married to Celia Oder and resides in LaPorte, Indiana. He is a farmer and capitalist.

5.  Joseph is unmarried and a farmer.

Children of John Studebaker Witwer are:

1.  Ella Alvira, the oldest child, is the wife of P. G. Claiborne, acting cashier of the Central National Bank, of Dallas.

2.  Walter Clare, the second, is collector for the North Texas National Bank

3.  Mary Louise is attending school in the city.

4.  John Wilbur is attending school in the city.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 763-765.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. R. PALMER, D.D.S., real-estate dealer in the Bankers and Merchants' Bank building, was born in Wilson county, Tennessee, August 26, 1829. His parents were Henry D. and Martha (Angenille) Palmer, natives of South and North Carolina respectively. The father was in the war of 1812 and was on the way to the battle of New Orleans with the Tennessee troops at the time it occurred. He served through the war as a private and would not receive any recompense for his services to the Government. He was a minister, first in the Presbyterian and then in the Christian Church. He preached in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois, being well known in the ministry of his church and was considered a leading man. He never took any part in politics, except in 1848, when he was a member of the Constitutional Convention for the State of Illinois. He was afterward solicited to run for Governor, but refused. He was a man of strong character, and was a devout Christian, being known everywhere as Father Palmer. He died in 1863, at Eureka, Illinois, aged 89. He was in the ministry for over 50 years, and during that time brought many hundreds into the church, besides settling many serious disputes in church and State. His wife died some years later, about 1870, aged 85. She was a member of the church from childhood, was eminently a domestic woman, the mother of 16 children, 14 of whom she raised to mature years. Of this family, two sons and four daughters are still living, and they reflect their mother's piety. Her character was a well rounded one; she was not demonstrative, but constant and firm, her faith being founded on principles that were swell studied and conscientiously followed out all her beautiful life. The oldest child that grew to maturity was Dr. A. B. Palmer, who settled in Dallas county, Texas, in 1852. He died in 1874, aged 65, having practiced until his death. He resided in what is now DeSoto, Dallas county. He left one son, Dr. William Palmer, a resident of Ellis county. The daughters are:

1.  Mrs. Robert Daniels, wife of a prominent farmer of Dallas County.
2.  Mrs. Dr. T. H. Stuart, of DeSoto

     Three of the family were doctors, Dr. J. R. Palmer, Dr. A. B. Palmer and H.D. Palmer, of Kansas City.

     Dr. J. R. Palmer was educated, professionally, at St. Louis and Baltimore, in dentistry and medicine, and practiced them both, the former for 25 years. He came to Texas in 1865 and settled in Palestine, Anderson county, where he practiced for some years and then came to Dallas, in 1887. Since his arrival here he has been engaged in the real-estate business.

     He was living at Fayetteville, Arkansas, when the war broke out, and he enlisted in the C.S.A., as a private in 1861, but when the company was organized he was made First Lieutenant, and afterward promoted to be Captain. He was wounded and retired in November, 1864. After his return home he was elected to the State Legislature, in the fall of 1864, and received all but four of the votes, and there were nine candidates; so it was a high compliment to his popularity and true worth. He did not know that he was a candidate until he received his certificate of election, which he has yet, printed on Confederate paper. As the enemy captured Little Rock before they met, and afterward, when the war was over, they were not allowed to meet, the election was an empty honor.

     The Doctor is Grand Protector to the Knights and Ladies of Honor, and is devoting most of his time to the interests of this order in Texas. He holds the highest office in the State, and has been representative to the Supreme Lodge of the United States for eight years. In this he feels that he is doing great good. It is a benevolent order and is of great benefit to the members. His position is a serviceable one and very much to his taste. The order numbers about 75,000 members and is rapidly increasing. It has paid out more than $7,000,000 up to the present time, paying about $1,000,000 per year, and is now 15 years old. There are about 120 lodges in the State, and it is the first benevolent lodge that took women  is on proven them to be three percent better than the stronger sex in matters of this kind.

     Dr. J. R. Palmer was married at Macomb, Illinois, in 1856, to Miss Ann Augusta Brooking, daughter of Major T. A. Brooking, of Richmond, Virginia, and son of Chief Justice Brooking, of Virginia.

     Both Mr. and Mrs. Palmer was worthy members of the Christian Church, of which the Doctor was Elder for many years before coming to Dallas. Mrs. Palmer is a native of Kentucky, and has proven herself a good true wife to a worthy husband.
   
     Dr. Palmer is a worthy, good citizen, and lends his influence to what he considers the best welfare of the city. He is a man well fitted for the office he fills, and his work reflects his recognized ability.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 762.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DUDLEY G. WOOTEN, attorney at law, Dallas, the senior member of the law firm of Wooten & Kimbrough, was born in Missouri, in June, 1858, a son of Thomas D. and Henrietta (Goodall) Wooten, natives of Kentucky. As a surgeon, his father stands at the head of the profession in the State. Having acquired considerable fame as such previous to the war, he was placed on the staff of General Price and Bragg, as medical director in the army of the Confederate States of America. At the close of the war, in 1865, he came to Texas and practiced in Paris until 1876, when he went to Austin, where he is still in active practice. At the opening of the State University, in 1883, he was chosen president of the Board of Regents, and he has placed that richly endowed institution in a position of prominence. Texas is proud of the services of such a man, in such a capacity.

     The Doctor was born March 6, 1830. His wife was born in 1834. They are well and favorably known as worthy, good people, and life-long members of the Baptist Church.

     Mr. D. G. Wooten, one of the seven living children of Dr. Thomas D. Wooten, received a thorough classical education and graduated at Princeton, New Jersey, College, in 1875, with the degree of A. M., with high honors, although the youngest in his class. Afterward, for a year, he was a Fellow at the John Hopkins University, at Baltimore, and then took the law course at the University of Virginia, founded by Thomas Jefferson, and graduated with the class of 1878, with the degree of L.L.B. as well as taking the two highest honors of the university. He began the practice of law at Austin, where he was prosecuting attorney four years. He came to Dallas in 1888, and at once took rank as one of the leading members of the bar. While his reputation has been made as a criminal lawyer his native acumen is best shown in the more subtle competent to testify on the matter says, with reference to Mr. Wooten: "He is a ripe scholar, an eloquent advocate, and a profound lawyer. Without being an aspirant for public honors, he has taken a valiant service on the great issues of the day."

     Mr. D. G. Wooten is a member of the Knights of Pythias and in politics a Democrat. He is one of the rising young men of the South, and a genial, cultured gentleman.

Our subject is the oldest of a family of seven children:

1. Etta, the second, is the wife of Honorable H.W. Lightfoot, residing at Paris, Texas

2. Stella is wife of W. J. Bailey, Esq., of Fort Worth, Texas

3. Maude is the wife of Judge Robert H. Johnson, County Judge, residing at Fort Worth

4. Tommie, the youngest daughter, is a graduate of the University of Texas, class of 1890. She is quite literary in taste, much of a lady, and still of the home circle.

5. Goodall H. and Joseph, the two youngest of the family, are both
graduated of the University of Texas, classes of 1891-1892 receptively. The former is assistant State Chemist, and is a young man of much promise. The two sons are preparing for the profession of medicine.

     Mr. Wooten married Miss Carter, a daughter of Colonel Carter, who was one of the immortal band who made the historic Pickett's charge at the battle of Gettysburg, the turning battle of the great Civil war, and he went down in that action. Mr. and Mrs. Wooten had two children, both of whom are deceased; and Mrs. Wooten died in 1887. He was remarried, to Mrs. M. A. Sellers, at Dallas, December 2, 1891. She is from an old Mississippi family, from Kemper county, who are well and favorably known throughout the State.

     In the great political campaign between Judge George Clark and Governor J. S. Hogg, 1892, Mr. Wooten, prior to the nominating convention at Houston, in August, 1892, took a very prominent part "stumping" the State for Clark. He established a reputation on all sides as the foremost orator in the State were accepted as models of argument, rhetoric, and impassioned eloquence.
     His paraphrase of Phillips' "Napoleon" applied to Governor Hogg, is one of the triumphs of campaign oratory, and perhaps has never been equaled in the political literature of the country. When in the Houston Convention he refused to join the "bolt" organized by the Clark men, but remained in the regular convention, acting as a member of the committee on platform. In that capacity he presented and eloquently advocated a minority report, intended to prevent the repudiation of the National Democratic platform. Failing in this, he filed a written protest absolving himself from obligation to support the nominees, and withdrew from the convention. At the Lampasas Convention, June, 1892, he was unanimously elected Presidential Elector for the State at large on the Cleveland ticket and canvassed the State.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 766-767.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. E. BEEMAN, one of the successful citizens of Dallas county, was born in this city, in 1854, the eldest child of William H. and M. E. (Dye) Beeman, natives of Illinois and Kentucky respectively. The father came with his parents, John and Emily Beeman, to Dallas in 1842, where he took up a headright, on a part of which the city of Dallas now stands, and both he and his wife still reside in this city. Our subject was reared and educated in Dallas, where he also learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed continuously until 1882. In that year he was elected Marshal of East Dallas, also Assessor and Collector three terms, and in 1886 he was again elected City Marshall, having held that office from 1882 to 1889. In that year the two municipal governments united, making it all the city of Dallas. Mr. Beeman was the first and last City Marshall of East Dallas. After his marriage he settled on Elm Street, and in 1890 he bought a good residence on the corner of Kentucky and Residence streets, and also owns property on Kentucky street, which he rents.

     He was married in this city, in 1876, to Miss Annie E. Russey, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of B. F. and Elizabeth (Parker) Russey, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Tennessee. The father followed farming and stock-raising until after his removal to Dallas, in October, 1874, when he engaged in the manufacture of brick. The mother died in Tennessee, in 1862, and the father died in Dallas city, in March, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Beeman have had three children: Emmett Martin, Robert Earl and Eva Lena. Mr. Beeman is identified with the Democratic party, and during his administration as City Marshall he saw hard service, having been in six shooting affrays and at that time had a large area to look over.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 747-748.
- o o o -


Back to Index
SCOTT BEEMAN, a farmer and stockraiser of Precinct No. 1, was born in Bowie county, Texas, May 23, 1841, the 10th in a family of 12 children born to John and Emily (Hunnicutt) Beeman, natives of South Carolina. The father emigrated from his native State to Calhoun county, Illinois, and thence to Bowie county, Texas, in 1829. In 1841 he came to Dallas county, and took up 360 acres of land, and was the first man to cultivate any soil in this county. His death occurred here in 1856, and his wife still survives, living near DeSoto, at the advanced age of 86 years.

     Scott Beeman was reared to farm life, and educated in the subscription schools of this county. He aided his father in opening up and improving the home farm and afterward began farming on his own account. In 1862 he enlisted in Captain Beard's Company, and was in the battle of Yellow Bayou, in a number of raids under General Marmaduke, and was in the Red River expedition, where he fought for 32 days. He was also in cavalry service, and at the close of the war Mr. Beeman returned to Dallas county, and later removed to the farm of 150 acres which he now owns, and which is in a good state of cultivation. He was married in this country, in 1865, to Betty Merrifield, a native of Kentucky, and daughter of Milton and Margaret Ann (Singleton) Merrifield, also natives of Kentucky. The parents moved to Dallas county in 1849, settling in what is now West Dallas, where the father bought and improved a farm. His death occurred in November 1886, and the mother now resides near Cedar Hill.  Mr. and Mrs. Beeman have seven children:

1. Annie, wife of Richard Lagow of Precinct 4

2. Emma

3. Lizzie

4. Milton

5. Katie

6. Grover

7. Ira

     Politically, Mr. Beeman is a member of the Democratic Party, and socially of the Farmer's Alliance.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 355-356.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM H. BEEMAN, a pioneer of Dallas county, Texas, was born in Greene county, Illinois, in May, 1827, the third in a family of 10 children born to John and Emily (Honeycutt) Beeman, natives of Georgia and South Carolina respectively. The father moved to Illinois in an early day, settling near Alton, where he was subsequently married. He was a farmer and millwright by trade, and also ran a ferry and wood yard in Illinois. He emigrated to Texas with horse teams in 1840, having bought 640 acres before starting, of a frontier trader, and located 80 miles from any settlement. The first six months he lived in a fort, and afterward located on land that is now within the city limits. He always made this county his home, and his death occurred in 1850; the mother is still living, residing on Ten Mile creek, Dallas county.

     William H. Beeman was reared and educated in Illinois, and at the age of 14 years came to Texas and aided in opening up the home farm. He commenced life for himself in Dallas, in the carriage and wagon makers' trade, and in 1851 commenced business for himself on Elm Street, which he continued about 15 years. Mr. Beeman cleared the land where his three-story brick building now stands, known as Deering Block, on Elm Street. After the war broke out Mr. Beeman moved to his farm, where he has 77 acres in a good state of cultivation, having given most of his land to his children. He was married in Dallas County, in 1851, to Martha Dye, a native of Virginia, and a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Dye, also natives of Virginia. The parents settled in Kentucky in an early day and in 1847 came to Dallas, where the father died, in 1852, and the mother a few years later. Mr. and Mrs. Beeman have had 10 children. The living are:

1. J. E., in East Dallas

2. Nevada

3. Addie, wife of Benjamin Saye, of Dallas county

4. Holly, of East Dallas

5. L. O., at home

6. Roxie, also at home.

     Mr. Beeman has seen the complete development of Dallas county, and rode in the first wagon that ever came into Dallas. Politically, he is a Democrat, has always taken an interest in everything for the good of the county, and aids materially in all public enterprises. He assisted in the organization of the county, having ridden 140 miles on horseback to see the judge and get an order to organize.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 856.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JAMES C. CHAPMAN has been a resident of Texas since his early boyhood. He was born in Henry county, Tennessee, August 9, 1851, and came to this State with his father in 1858, when he was seven years old. At the age of 21 he commenced life for himself, and has made rapid progress in the way of accumulating this world's goods. He now owns a fine farm of 310 acres, well improved and located a mile from Mesquite. He has one of the finest and best arranged dwellings in Dallas county. While he is engaged in agricultural pursuits, he has given much attention to raising fine stock. His cattle are of the Durham and Holstein breeds, and he has a fine specimen of the English draught horse.

     Davis Green Chapman, father of James C., was born in Tennessee. He was there married to Miss Caroline Coats, November 20, 1845, and continued to live in Tennessee. He was there married to Miss Caroline Coats, November 20, 1845, and continued to live in Tennessee until he moved to Texas. Arrived here, he settled on Long creek in Dallas county, where he bought 80 acres of land and lived one year. He then moved to Tarrant county, near Fort Worth, and rented land one year, after which he moved to the city of Dallas. In 1861, he purchased 130 acres of land 14 miles east of Dallas. During the war he enlisted, in 1862, in Colonel Darnell's regiment, and served till the conflict was over, being at home sick when the Confederates surrendered. After the way he purchased more land, making in all a farm of 530 acres, which he devoted his time and energies to improving, at the time of his death having it all fenced and 400 acres under cultivation. He died April 29, 1881, at the age of 56 years. Following are their children:

1. Sarah, wife of W. M. Humphreys
2. James C., husband of Mollie Rugel
3. Manerva F., wife of M. M. Bennett
4. John W.
5. George F.
6. Mollie R., wife of George B. Goode
7. Alice, wife of L. B. Thompson
8. Nora, wife of John T. Lynch
9. Robert G.

     James C. Chapman was married, February 22, 1877, to Miss Mollie Rugel, who was born July 5, 1847. Mr. and Mrs. Chapman have five children, viz.:

1. Ora, born July 18, 1878
2. Rupert F., born November 22, 1880
3. Claud C., born September 30, 1882
4. Lora E., born November 1, 1889
5. Omer, born July 8, 1888

     Both he and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 348.
- o o o -


Back to Index
THOMAS C. COOPER, grain and commission merchant, Dallas, Texas, dates his birth in Mobile, Ala., Oct. 16, 1854. He landed in Houston, Tex. in Nov. 1872, and since that time has been a resident of Texas.

     Mr. Cooper's parents, Ferdinand J. and Julia E. (Wheeler) Cooper, were born in Louisiana and South Carolina respectively. The father was at one time Sheriff of Mobile County. Subsequently he engaged in the mercantile business. He was well known as an upright citizen in every way worthy of the confidence which was reposed in him repeatedly by the people. He was born in 1813, and died in 1860. The mother was born in 1817, is still living, has her powers of body and mind well preserved, and makes her home with her son, Thomas C. She is the only surviving member of her father's family. Of her nine children, only three are living. Her daughter, Mary L., is the wife of Colonel O. C. George, and lives in Pilot Point, Texas. Mrs. Cooper is a member of the Baptist church, as is also her husband.

     The subject of our sketch received his education in Alabama. By the death of his father, he was thrown upon his own resources at an early age. At 14, he began learning the business of railway agent and telegraph operator and he followed that business for a number of years. For the past 15 years he has been a lumber dealer and grain and commission merchant, being fairly successful. He came to Dallas in 1886, and has since made his home in that city.

     Mr. Cooper was married Jan. 18, 1880, to Miss Emma C. Smith, daughter of W. O. and Mary J. Smith, of Falls County, TX. Her father died on the day of her marriage, aged 51 years, his deat resulting from a complication of diseases. Her mother died in 1885, aged 46 years. Mrs. Cooper and an only brother, James B. Smith, are the only ones of the family now living. The latter is a passenger conductor on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. He resides in Waco. To Mr. and Mrs. Cooper five children have been born, two of whom died in early childhood. Those living are Willie May, Lou Eva, and Thomas James, aged respectively 12 years, 9 years, and four months. both he and his wife are members of the Congregational church.

     Mr. Cooper is a member of the Woodmen of the World, Camp No. 1, and is manager of its local board. In his church, in business circles, and in the community at large. Mr. Cooper is highly regarded. He has been an active worker in the ranks of the Republican party, ever seeking to secure the best men to serve in official capacity, but has never aspired to political honors himself.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 348.
- o o o -


Back to Index
BENJAMIN T. DAVIS, a farmer of Dallas county, was born in Monangalia county, Virginia, September 17, 1928. His father moved to La Porte county, Indiana, in 1835, and to Texas in 1847, when Benjamin was but 19 years of age. The latter learned the carpenter's trade in Indiana, which he also followed in Texas. At one time he took a claim of 320 acres of land, which he improved and cultivated, and at the same time also worked at his trade. He afterward sold this farm, and bought the one on which he now resides. He then owned 500 acres, but this he afterward divided and gave all but 288 acres to his children. Mr. Davis enlisted in the war in 1861, in Colonel Hawpe's regiment, and served until the close of the war, being discharged at Hempstead May 26, 1865. Being a musician, he was put in charge of the field band, and held that position until the close of the war. He also participated in the battles of Spring River, Mansfield, Yellow Stone, Utona, and was under fire 42 days in going to New Orleans. He was slightly wounded three times with shell. Mr. Davis saw the war was coming to a close, and wisely exchanged his Confederate script for greenbacks, and after reaching home had over $200 in greenbacks. He had lost all his horses and cattle in the war, but had enough money to commence anew. His brother and himself, John W. Davis, engaged in the hedge seed business, in which he was very successful, selling the seed as high as $21 per bushel.

     Mr. Davis was married July 4, 1836, to Miss Lydia J. Mills, who died October 14, 1890, at the age of 54 years. They were the parents of 13 children, only 10 of whom reached maturity:

1. Eugenus A. Davis
2. Ruth Ann Davis, wife of Joseph E. Erwin
3. Benjamin T. Davis
4. Tiddy J. Davis, wife of E. M. Colwell
5. Sarah A. Davis, wife of H. M. Ramsey
6. John W. Davis
7. Mariah E. Davis, wife of Thomas Lanford
8. Hanson C. Davis
9. Cora L. Davis
10. Caleb B. Davis.

     Mr. Davis is a well educated man, having attended some of the best schools in Indiana. He attended the Asbury University, now the DePauw University, two years, which is one of the leading schools in the United States. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., Plano Lodge, No. 114, and at one time was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his family are nearly all members.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 353.
- o o o -


Back to Index
L. M. FARGASON, a prominent citizen of Dallas county, was born in Henry county, Georgia, in 1827, the eldest of seven children born to John and Elizabeth (Mason) Fargason, natives of South Carolina and Georgia respectively. The father moved to Georgia at an early date, where he was married, and in 1852 emigrated to Tallapoosa, Alabama, where his death occurred in 1866; the mother survived him until 1878, dying at the age of 82 years.

     L. M. Fargason was reared in Henry County, Georgia, where he was engaged as a clerk in a store four years. He was then in the ambrotype business at West Point until 1861, when he came to Texas, and was associated with Dr. Bradfield in the drug business at Dangerfield one year. In 1862, he raised Company G, 19th Texas Infantry, was elected its Captain, and served in Arkansas and Louisiana. He was held to reserve at Little Rock, Arkansas, to reinforce General Hindman or the Arkansas Post, and during the winter of 1862-1863 was at Pine Bluff. He remained there until May, 1863, when he went to Louisiana, and was in Texas at the close of the war. He afterward returned home and engaged in the general mercantile business until 1881, when he was burnt out, losing $3,000-4,000. Coming to Dallas in 1882, he embarked in the grain and cotton trade one year, but since that time he has never engaged in active business. Mr. Fargason is identified with the Democratic party, was collector of water rents in 1887, for the city, and is now serving his second year as Deputy County Assessor of Dallas county. Socially, he is a member of the Oasis Lodge, No. 79, A. F. & A. M. in eastern Texas, has been a Mason for over 40 years, and is a prominent Odd Fellow.

     Mr. Fargason was married in Henry county, Georgia, in 1849 to Elizabeth Odell, a native of North Carolina and a daughter of Solomon and Sarah (Childress) Odell, also natives of North Carolina. The father, a farmer by occupation, moved to Henry county, Georgia, in 1845, and in 1859 to what is now Morris county, Texas, where he made his home until death, in 1862. His excellent wife survived him a few years, dying in 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Fargason have had nine children, seven of whom survive:

1. John E. Fargason
2. Willie L. Fargason, clerk in the Pacific Express Company
3. David B. Fargason, bill and rate clerk for the same company
4. Sarah E. Fargason, wife of James T. Childress
5. Mary E. Fargason, wife of J. M. McReynolds of Texas
6. Georgia Fargason, widow of M. T. Mitchell, of Greenville, Texas
7. Mattie Lee Fargason, wife of Howell Bailey, collector of the Dallas ice factory

     Mrs. Fargason is a member of the First Baptist Church at Dallas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 353.
- o o o -


Back to Index
RUDOLPH GUNNER is a progressive business man of Dallas, Texas, of which city he has been a permanent resident since June, 1885, and successfully conducts a book store, which brings him a fair income. He was born in Zicin, Austria, December 15, 1833, the eldest of nineteen children. His father was a wealthy business man and was twice elected mayor of the city in which he resided and was a member of the Austrian Lendtag.

     Rudolph Gunner was educated in the naval academy at Venice, and in 1851 entered the Austrian navy as naval cadet on board the frigate Venus. During the Crimean war he was in Constantinople, and in 1855 was in Egypt with the present King of Belgium, who was then Crown Prince and in very feeble health.

     In 1857, he started on a two years' cruise on the frigate Caroline on the west coast of Africa, and in 1858-'59 was with the Archduke Maximilian in the Orient. After the battle of Solferino and the loss of Italy to Austria, Maximilian took up his residence in Miramae and Mr. Gunner also resided there as his Aid-de-camp, accompanying him in 1863 to England, Belgium and Paris, France, where the acceptance of the Mexican Empire was stipulated. When Maxilmilan accepted the crown of Mexico, April 10, 1864, Mr. Gunner accompanied him from Miramae on board the Austrian frigate Novarra, being nominated chief of the division of artillery. At Mexico he was created director of the Grand Chambilant and Colonel in the Guardia Palatina, being afterward nominated Chamberlain and charged with the Ttendencia de la Cosa Imperial. He accompanied Empress Charlotte to Tucatan in 1865 and was sent to England in 1866 on important official business. Upon his return to Mexico Maximilian began his movement from Orizaba to Queretaro and sent Mr. Gunner to assume command of the Imperial yacht Undine, destined to take Maximilian to Europe, if he should abdicate the throne.

     Maximilian was host at Queretaro June 19, 1867, and Mr. Gunner returned to Miramae with the yacht Undine, and re-entered the Austrian navy. In 1857, he settled at Teplitz, Austria, a celebrated watering place, which was greatly damaged by a catastrophe in the coal mines, and Mr. Gunner lost all his accumulations.

     He came to San Antonio, Texas, in 1855, and in June of the same year, to Dallas, where he has a well stocked book store. His eldest son is a private in the Third United States Cavalry Regiment. He has a brother who is Austrian Consul General to Cairo, Egypt, and another brother who is Chief Surgeon of the Austrian Red Cross and who distinguished himself in the war with Russia.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 338.
- o o o -
  (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)