Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Back to Main Page

 

 (Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
ELISHA McCOMMAS. Elder Amon McCommas was born in Kentucky. In early life, he removed to Ohio, and married Mary Brumfield, successively lived in Ohio, Illinois, and from 1836 to 1844 in Wright county, Missouri. In the latter year he settled near Dallas, Texas, and died May 20, 1877 - his wife, June 27, the same year. He was a preacher of the Christian Church. He preached the first sermon ever delivered in the then village of Dallas. In 1847 his brother, John C. McCommas and Burke McCommas, son of Stephen B. McCommas, Sr., and also his sons, John McCommas and Stephen B. McCommas, Jr., were soldiers in the Mexican war. Stephen B. McCommas, Jr. died in the city of Mexico, December 24, 1847, and Burke McCommas within a day or two of the same time. The other children of Elder Amon McCommas, were:

1. James B. McCommas
2. Elisha McCommas
3. William M. McCommas
4. Amon McCommas, Jr.
5. Rosa McCommas, wife of Jesse Cox
6. Armilda McCommas, wife of Benjamin F. Fleaman
7. Mary E. McCommas, wife of John W. Herndon

     Elisha McCommas, was born in Lawrence county, Ohio, in 1830, the fourth in a family of eight children, and hence was 14 years old when his father settled in Dallas county, and aided in opening up his father's farm, and acquired an education chiefly by his own personal exertions. In August, 1849, he was one of a company of 80 men, on a gold hunting expedition to the Wichita mountains. From a camp on Red river, he was one of a scouts of 20 sent across toward those mountains, on an exploring and scouting expedition. When about 60 miles out, they discovered Indians herding horses. A detail of four men, being sent to reconnoiter, found that the Indians were painted and supposed they were hostile. The Indians, seeing them, immediately drove their herd toward a neighboring village. When on a ridge affording a view of the village, they left three men for observation, and moved on out of sight, but very soon these three men discovered about 100 warriors approaching. young McCommas was sent by the other two to inform Lieutenant Wright of the fact, that he might prepare for defense. He started for timber about two miles distant. The Indians turned their course as if to cut them off. Two pack horses stampeded when two Indians drove them back to the whites, and returned to their band, who had huddled together on a high point, almost within rifle shot, but showed no other signs of hostility; on the contrary, some of them came out from the party, giving signs of friendship, calling out, "How do!" and making friendly gestures. This led to an interview by some old hunters in the party, in which they were informed of the Indians being friendly and that there was then in their village a party of 15 traders from Fort Washita. The party than proceeded with them to the village, where they found a young Indian woman who had been a prisoner and partly reared in an American family, and became their willing interpreter. This was evidently the little girl Maria (Mareah) who was returned to the Indians, under the authority of President Sam Houston in 1843 by commissioner Joseph C. Eldridge with Messrs. Thomas Torrey and Hamilton P. Bee.

     General H. P. Bee in his notes of this expedition, says in substance that this little Indian girl, named Maria, was taken at the council house fight, at San Antonio, March 19, 1840. She had been carefully trained, spoke English well, and had entirely lost her own language. Describing the parting scene of the unsuccessful mission, General Bee wrote for his children many years ago: "Now Captain Eldridge tendered to the chief little Maria, a beautiful Indian child, neatly dressed. A scene followed which brought tears to the eyes of not only the white men but also of the Delawares. The child seemed horrified, clung desperately and imploringly to Captain Eldredge, and screamed most piteously. It was simply heart-rending. She was taken up by a huge warrior and borne away, uttering piercing cries of despair. For years afterward she was occasionally heard of, still bearing the name of Maria (Mareah), acting as interpreter at Indian councils."

     They remained near the village two days, prospecting for gold in the surrounding country, and soon afterward left for home, which was reached at the end of an absence of nearly two months.

     In December, 1850, in Dallas county, Mr. McCommas married Miss Rhoda Ann Tucker. His brothers, John McCommas and William M. McCommas, married sisters of the same lady. She was the daughter of John S. and Agnes (McNew) Tucker, natives of Virginia, while their children were born in Missouri. They settled on a farm in Dallas County in 1848. Mr. Tucker left he county on business and was never heard of. The widow resides with Mr. McCommas. In 1862, Mr. McCommas volunteered in Company B, 19th Texas Cavalry, under Colonel Nat. M. Burford, and served in Arkansas, Missouri and Louisiana. He was with Marmaduke's expedition into Missouri, and in the Red River campaigns later. At the close of the war, he returned to his farm in Dallas county - a splendid tract of 270 acres, well improved and commanding a fine view of Dallas and the vicinity. Mr. and Mrs. McCommas have had 10 children, eight of whom survive, viz.:

1. Stephen B. McCommas of Hill county
2. Sarah Ann McCommas, who died at that age of 33 years
3. Alexander McCommas of Hill county
4. Lou V. McCommas, wife of D. B. White of Hill county
5. Mary A. McCommas, now Mrs. B. F. Burgess of Dallas county
6. Martha E. McCommas, wife of L. B. DeFore of Hill county
7. Rhoda M. McCommas (deceased), the wife of R. L. White
8. George E. McCommas, still with parents
9. Walter G. McCommas, still with parents
10. Wallie E. McCommas, still with parents

     Mr. McCommas has been for 17 years an active member of the Dallas County Pioneer Association, and almost continuously one of its officers, doing all in his power to make it what such an association ought to be. He is justly regarded as one of the most upright, honorable and useful citizens of the county, in which he has lived 48 years and blest with a wife worthy of such a man, and now, at the age of 62, appears as youthful as most men at 40.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 349.
- o o o -


Back to Index
D. C. McCORD & Son, brick contractors and builders, located in Dallas in 1875, and have erected the Boykin & Shook building, now known as the Herald building, Snyder & Davis' wholesale store with annex on Elm Street, Flippen, Adoue & Lobit's bank, corner of Elm and Poydras streets, Gould's system of offfices (since burned) on Commerce street, the building (200 feet front) of Marcellus Tilman and Dr. Crowdus' Drug Company on Commerce Street, the Christian Church at the corner of Patterson avenue and Masten street, the North and South Dallas school buildings, the power-house at the terminus of Elm Street, besides many residences, etc., - among them, that of W. C. Connor, in 1876.

     Mr. McCord was born in Edgefield, South Carolina, February 11, 1842, the second of the 11 children of S. R. and Martha (Newman) McCord. His father was born in New York and his mother in Augusta, Georgia. His father was a brick builder and contractor, who in 1840 emigrated to Alabama, going the entire distance on foot, averaging 45 miles a day, and locating at Wetumpka. After a stage line had been established his family joined him. Later he moved to another point in Alabama, Prattville, established by Daniel Pratt (great cotton gin manufacturer); after the war he went to St. Louis and Chicago, and finally, in 1874, he came to Dallas, where he died, in October 1875. His wife had died in 1867, in Montgomery, Alabama.

     D. C. McCord, learned his trade at Prattville and was married there. In 1861 he enlisted in the war in the Prattville Dragoons, commanded by Captain Cox, and was in the service from April, 1861, to May, 1865, being engaged in the battles of Shiloh, Santa Rosa Island, Pensacola, Tupelo, Mississippi, Bragg's invasion of Kentucky, siege of Knoxville, etc. in Wheeler's corps. A horse was shot from under him and he received a gunshot wound on the skirmish line at the siege of Knoxville. After the war he returned to Prattville, and then went to Cairo, Illinois, working at his trade. He returned to Alabama again, whence he came to Dallas.

     He was married in Prattville, in 1863, to Miss Georgia Haynie, a native of Coosa county, Alabama, and a daughter of Martin and Amanda (Haynie) Haynie, natives of South Carolina. Her father died in 1887 and her mother in 1882, in Birmingham, Alabama, at the residence of her son. In 1887-1889, Mr. McCord was two years in California, at San Diego and Santa Barbara, working at his trade. Politically, he is a Democrat, and religiously he and his wife are members of the Christian Church. They have five children:

1. Ella Clifford McCord, wife of Mr. Baker, an architect in Dallas
2. D. C. McCord, husband of Miss Margaret Jellison, in Nebraska, and now resides in Dallas
3. Horatio C. McCord, at home
4. Charles L. McCord, who died in Chattanooga, Tennessee
5. infant child, McCord, who died in infancy.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 351.
- o o o -


Back to Index
NICHOLAS F. PACE, of Garland, Dallas County, was born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, June 4, 1840, a son of Nicholas P. Pace, who was born in the same county in 1814. He was married at the age of 18 years to Nancy S. Imge, and they had nine children, viz:

1. Elizabeth, wife of Jacob Alls
2. Harriet, wife of Mr. Wright
3. Nancy
4. Francis, wife of David Clanihan
5. James I., deceased
6. George W., deceased
7. Nicholas F.
8. Russon, deceased
9. Hartwell, deceased

     Nicholas F., enlisted in Company L, Fourth Virginia Regiment, Stonewall Jackson's Brigade, and served four years. He was wounded at the battle of Winchester, in 1864, where he was captured and sent to the hospital at Baltimore, and from there to Point Lookout, on the Chesapeake bay, and was there paroled with about 10,000 others. He then returned to his regiment, and was sent as a sharpshooter at the battle of Hatcher's Run. He was in three hard fought battles and many skirmishes, and was also detailed as Forage Master under Major Bassett. After the close of the war, he returned home, and in November, 1868, came by rail to New Orleans, then across the gulf to Galveston, and next to Dallas county. He settled on Duck creek, near Garland, and afterward bought his farm of 193 acres, paying $5 per acre, and the land is now worth $40 per acre.

     Mr. Pace was married September 17, 1868, to Nancy C. Wallace, who was born in Virginia, September 22, 1849, and daughter of James J. Wallace, who was born June 13, 1816. The latter was married to Susan Sesler, who was born September 23, 1819. The father died at the age of 74 years, and the mother at the age of 71 years. They were the parents of eight children, viz:

1. Mary, wife of John Miller
2. Martha, wife of Joseph Givens
3. Mark, deceased
4. William, deceased
5. Floyd Wallace
6. John S.
7. Henry
8. Susan, the wife of James J. Wallace

Mr. and Mrs. Pace have seven children:

1. Mary R.
2. William E.
3. Nancy S.
4. Henrietta
5. Nora V.
6. Ida M.
7. Mattie G.
8. T. J. J.

     The mother died December 11, 1886. The parents were both members of the Christian Church, and the father is a member of the I. O. O. F., Duck Creek Lodge, No. 444, and also of the Knights of Honor.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 346-347.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DR. D. A. PASCHALL, a prominent and well-known physician of Dallas county, Texas, was born in Trigg county, Kentucky, December 14, 1837.

     G. R. Paschall, the doctor's father, was born in Caswell county, North Carolina, November 19, 1813. At the age of 12 years he moved with his father to Tennessee, and lived in Weakley county until he reached his majority. On the 15th day of November, 1835, he was united in wedlock with Miss Elizabeth Williams, who was also born on November 19, 1813. Her father, Daniel Williams, was one of the first settlers of Illinois, and fought the Indians all over that State. After Mr. Paschall was married he moved to Trigg county, Kentucky, where he lived until 1840. He then moved to Springfield, Missouri, and a year later to Texas and settled in Red River county. The following spring he located near Willow Springs in what is now Rockwall county. A year later, he moved to Dallas county and settled near Barnes' Bridge, buying land there. He subsequently sold out and located in Fannin county. In 1847, he enlisted in the Mexican War, and after serving 12 months was discharged on account of a wound he received by being thrown from a horse, receiving his discharge in February, 1848. From the effects of that wound, he is still a sufferer. In the fall of 1848 he moved to Terrell, Kaufman county, where he still resides, now at the age of 77 years. His wife died November 11, 1882, aged 69. The names of their nine children are as follows:

1. James C. Paschall
2. Daniel A. Paschall
3. Isaac A. Paschall
4. Susan P. Paschall
5. Josiah N. Paschall
6. Mary E. Paschall, the wife of A. A. Laroe
7. Sarah J. Paschall
8. Nancy A. Paschall
9. Georgia Roberts Paschall, the wife of Charles Brady

     Doctor Daniel A. Paschall was the second born, and only he and his two sisters, Mary E. and Georgia Roberts, are now living.

     D. A. Paschall was only six years old when his father came to Texas. At the age of 16 he began the study of medicine under Drs. Hawkins and Paschall, of Fulton, Kentucky. In 1859, he graduated at the University of Pennsylvania, after which he began the practice of his profession at Haught's store, Dallas county, and was thus engaged there when the war came on. He enlisted in Colonel Greer's regiment and served in it until July, 1862. He then returned home and enlisted under Colonel Bass in the 19th Texas Regiment, and served four months as a private. He was then detailed as assistant surgeon of a hospital in the northern part of Arkansas, and stayed there until January, 1864. He was then sent back to Haught's store to practice, remaining at that place until 1868. That year, he moved to Turner's Point.

     Dr. Paschall was married on the 23rd day of February 1865, to Miss Virginia Haught, who was born October 29, 1848. She died November 4, 1884, at the age of 36 years. Her parents, Samuel and Isabella (Duvall) Haught, reared a family of nine children, namely:

1. Jane Haught, wife of Mote Golden, and after his death, M. M. Farmer
2. Emma Haught, wife of M. M. Farmer is deceased. One will see that M. M. Farmer married two sisters.
3. Alfred Haught
4. S. A. Haught
5. Isabella Haught, deceased
6. Juliette Haught, wife of S. H. Cumley, and Louisiana, deceased

     The Doctor's second marriage occurred April 28, 1889, to Mrs. Maud Bounds, nee Thompson. She has six brothers and sisters:

1. Lillie Thompson, wife of John Rupford
2. Nellie Thompson, wife of F. L. Watterson
3. May Thompson
4. Willie Thompson
5. Clifton Thompson
6. J. Wellington Thompson

By his first wife the Doctor had nine children:

1. Idaho Paschall, wife of J. M. H. Chisolm
2. Jesse P. Paschall
3. Samuel Paschall
4. A. H. Paschall
5. Nettie Paschall
These are the only children living.

     By his present companion, he has one child, Daniel A. Paschall, who was born June 20, 1890.

     In 1871-1872, Dr. Paschall took a course at the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and graduated. Returning to Haught's store, he continued his practice there till 1877, when he bought a farm of 570 acres at Terrell, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, also continuing his medical practice.  He still owns that farm. In 1885 he left his farm at Terrell and located again in Dallas county, at Mesquite. He has had an extensive and successful practice, and here he is regarded not only as a skillful physician but as one of the most prominent and leading citizens. He discovered a cure for malignant congested fever or spotted fever, and in the treatment of that dread disease, has met with unusual success.

     He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and he is a Mason and a Knight of honor.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 351-352.
- o o o -


Back to Index
GEORGE H. SHAWVER is a native of Macon county, Missouri, born December 28, 1848. John Shawver, his father, was born in Monroe County, Virginia, November 20, 1800, and was married in the Old Dominion to Miss Caroline Walker. They moved from Missouri to Texas in 1869, and the father bought 255 acres of land near Mesquite, where his son George H. Shawver now lives. He improved his property and resided on it a number of years. He returned to Missouri on a visit, and while there was taken sick and died, his death occurring in July, 1880. His wife departed this life March 12, 1872, at the age of 45 years. To them were born 10 children.

     George H. Shawver, was married, May 16, 1889, to Miss Dora A. Smith, who was born in Indiana, March 4, 1865. Her father, Abraham Smith, was born in Indiana in 1825, and her mother, who before her marriage was a Miss Greene, was born in 1832. The names of the children composing her father's family are as follows:

1. Sella Smith, wife of Seymour Hosa
2. Marshall Smith
3. Alice Smith, wife of John Rockey
4. Ellet Smith
5. Dora Smith, wife of George H. Shawver
6. Lawrence Smith
7. Elmer Smith
8. Gordon Smith

     Mr. Smith came to Texas in 1888 and settled near Mesquite, Dallas county. Mr. and Mrs. Shawver have two children:

1. Otto Shawver, born July 29, 1890
2. Ann Shawver, born December 30, 1891

     Mr. Shawver is a Mason and a Knight of Honor, belonging to the lodges at Mesquite. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 353-354.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM STULTS, M. D., deceased, was for many years a physician widely and favorably known among the citizens of the western part of Dallas county. He was born in Hamilton county, Tennessee, and, having been left an orphan, received only a meager education. He was an industrious and self-reliant boy, and made his own way from the beginning of his career. At the age of 17 years he went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he apprenticed himself to the carpenter's trade, and followed the same for about two years. He then returned to Tennessee, settling in Rutherford county, where he read medicine for two years, mostly under Dr. J.W. January, a successful physician of that day. Mr. Stults came to Texas on a prospecting tour in 1856, and decided to locate in Dallas county, December 3, 1857. He returned to Tennessee and married Miss Lou S. Wilson, of Gibson county, after which he came again to Texas, taking up his residence in the western part of the county, on a farm of 320 acres, lying on the west fork of the Trinity river. He at once began farming and the practice of his profession, and followed these occupations assiduously as long as he lived. He sold his first purchased in 1860, and bought a place on Grapevine prairie, where he lived about 14 years, and at the end of that time he again sold out, and purchased another farm adjoining. He remained on the latter place until his death, which occurred May 17, 1877. At the time of his death he had considerable landed interests, owning 738 acres, where he has successfully engaged in farming and stock raising. He also had an extensive practice, riding for miles in every direction, and this was at a time when there were no roads in the county, having had to make his way by bridle paths. Mrs. Stults was a highly esteemed, both as a physician and a citizen. He was a life-long member of the Baptist Church, and was always active in church work, of which most of his children are also members. His widow is a member of the Methodist Church.

     Mrs. Stults was born in Gibson county, Tennessee, June 15, 1834, a daughter of Samuel and Lou (Sharp) Wilson, natives of Maryland and North Carolina. The father emigrated to Kentucky when a young man, where he was married, and then moved to Rutherford county, Tennessee, and afterward to Gibson county, that State, where he died in 1854, at the age of 65 years. His wife died in Rutherford county, Tennessee, in 1834, at the age of 30 years. They were the parents of nine children, as follows:

1. Mary Wilson
2. Martha Wilson
3. John Wilson
4. William Wilson
5. Emaline Wilson
6. Belle Wilson
7. Eliza Wilson
8. Caroline Wilson
9. Lou S. Wilson
The only one of these children now known to be living is Mrs. Stults.

     Dr. William Stults and wife reared to maturity a family of eight children, all of whom are still living:

1. William Wilson Stults, a merchant of Ballinger, Runnels county, Texas
2. Fannie Stults, the wife of B. S. Taylor, also of Ballinger
3. Carrie S. Stults, the wife of J. E. Murray of Forth Worth
4. John S. Stults, of Dallas county
5. Charles W. Stults of Wilbarger county
6. Lou Belle Stults, wife of L. S. Sherwood, of McKinney, Collin county, Texas
7. Sallie S. Stults, wife of J. C. Farley of Ballinger
8. Ida Stults, unmarried

     The old home place has been divided among the children, and Mrs. Stults makes her home among them. The part on which the house stands belong to John S. Stults, who may be said to have taken his father's place in a certain sense.

     He was born within a short distance of where he now lives, June 29, 1864, on the place where his father first settled after moving to Grapevine prairie. He received a common-school education, finishing with an academic course at the high school of Grapevine, Tarrant county. He selected medicine as his profession, and began reading about 1886, spending considerable time over his books at home before taking up the study under a preceptor. He took one course of lectures at the Tulane University, at New Orleans, in 1889-1890, read for a short time under Burtis, Fields & Durings, of Fort Worth, then under Dr. D. W. Gilbert, of Sowers, Dallas county, and has taken one course of lectures at the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, Missouri. He expects to complete his medical education at an early date, and enter regularly on the practice of his profession, in which he has ever assurance of success. The Doctor was married March 18, 1891, to Miss Pearl Price, a daughter of Mrs. L. A. Price of Dallas county.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 354-355.
- o o o -


Back to Index
MARGARET S. SMITH, who resides in precinct No. 1, Dallas county, is the widow of Joseph L. Smith. His father, the Rev. James A. Smith, moved to Texas in 1847, coming from Tishomingo county, Mississippi, and settling in Dallas county, about eight miles north of Dallas. He was a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, with four appointments in Dallas County. He was accompanied to Texas by his wife and three children:

1. Wesley Smith, husband of Sarah Ann Wilbun. They had seven children
2. Joseph L. Smith, husband of Margaret S. Smith
3. Robert Smith, husband of Miss Winn of Dallas

     Joseph L. Smith married Margaret S. Smith in Dallas in 1853, she being the daughter of the late John M. Daniel, of Tennessee (found in the biographical history of Dallas county). They had five children, three now living (1892):

1. James A. Smith, who married Mattie M. Layton of Dallas, and they had one daughter, Lillian Smith
2. Fannie Smith, who married H. B. Johnston of Dallas and they have two children: Sophronia A. Smith, who married a Mr. Moore of Dallas (second child was not named in article)

     Before the Civil War, Joseph L. Smith was a salesman in the city of Dallas, and was also for some years a Justice of the Peace and as such had the reputation of being a magistrate of rare judgment, whose decisions were relied upon as clear, equitable and just. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in Colonel Stone's Regiment, with whom he served two years, taking part in the battle of Elkhorn, and was also in several engagements with hostile Indians in the territory. His regiment crossed the Mississippi and came under the command of Colonel Ross, being then mounted cavalry. This command was engaged at Corinth, and in several other important battles. Mr. Smith returned home on account of sickness, caused by privation and exposure, and after having recovered his health he joined Colonel Gurley's Command, Gano's Brigade, and served principally in Arkansas and Indian Territory. In this last command he formed and commanded Company I, and held a commission as Captain when his command was mustered out. After the close of the war he returned home, where he died in 1867, at the age 35 years.      During the last two years of the war, while her husband was in the field, Mrs. Smith took a few negroes and settled on a farm five miles north of Dallas, where she was engaged in farming. She subsequently purchased a farm eight miles north of Dallas, consisting of 300 acres, which she has since divided among her children, but retains 70 acres for a homestead. Joseph L. Smith, always took a lively interest in public affairs, and, though not a politician, he was active and alert in matters affecting the best interests of Dallas county. He was a member of the Masonic order, being at the time of his death a Knight Templar, and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
     Margaret S. Smith, came to Dallas county in 1850, with her mother, then the widow of John M. Daniel, who died in Tennessee, having previously lived in Alabama. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel had eight children:

1. William Daniel, a lawyer, married Mary Chandler of Mississippi. William served in the Mexican war, and was engaged in many important battles.
2. Jesse Daniel, a farmer five miles north of Dallas, married Ann Purvis
3. Francis R. Daniel, also a farmer five miles north of Dallas, married Mary Robinson of Alabama
4. John F. Daniel, married Mary Harvey of Dallas, both deceased
5. Eliza Daniels, deceased, the wife of Levi Windham, of Tuscaloosa, Alabama
6. Thomas B. Daniels, a farmer five miles north of Dallas. Thomas served in Good's Battery, the Civil war, and was engaged East of the Mississippi river. During his service he was held a prisoner of war at Chicago for 11 months.
7. Isabella O. Daniel, wife of Alexander Howard
8. Margaret S. Daniel wife of Joseph L. Smith.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 361-362.
- o o o -


Back to Index
HERBERT PRICE, Vice-president and General Manager of the Texas Mortgage and Agency Company, Dallas, Texas, is a man of marked business ability, wide awake to the interests of whatever enterprise with which he identifies himself. He was elected to his present position January 1, 1892, and with his characteristic push and energy is conducting the business of the company. Texas Mortgage and Agency Company of Dallas is the strongest of English and Scotch mortgage companies.
     Mr. Price was born in Cheshire, England, October 19, 1864, the youngest son of John and Emily (Marsh) Price, natives of England. His father, a ship merchant, left Liverpool, bound for New York, about December, 1865, and as the vessel on which he sailed was never heard from or sighted after leaving Queenstown, it is supposed that he was lost with the balance of the crew and passengers. Mr. Price was at that time 38 years of age. He and his family were members of the Established Church of England. At the time he was lost his wife was living at Southport, near Liverpool, and was left with three children:

1. John Price. John, the oldest, died in England, in 1874, aged 21 years
2. Walter Price. Still of his native country, is junior partner of the firm of Montgomery, Jones & Co., of Liverpool, importers of all kinds of grain, shipping from all countries, principally India and South America
3. Herbert Price

     Herbert Price was educated at the Tatten Hall School, England, completing his studies there in 1877. Then as one of the agents of Messrs. Perry, Berry & Co., esparto merchants of Liverpool, he went to Africa and thence to Spain, returning to England after a three years' sojourn in those countries. Many features of this trip were not of the most pleasant nature. Until the Tunisian war opened between the French and the Arabs he was stationed principally at Tunis, Sfax and Tripoli. Then he was recalled, as it was impossible to do further business. This was in 1879. From England Mr. Price came to America, landing in Canada. In Manitoba he was engaged in farming two years. At the expiration of that time he went to Winnipeg and joined the expedition of the Hudson Bay Company, and went to the Northwestern Territory and the Hudson bay. He subsequently returned to Winnipeg, and from there, in 1885, directed his course to new Orleans. We next find him in Abilene, Taylor county, Texas, where he was engaged in sheep-raising two years, then to Jones county. In 1889 he came to Dallas, where he has since been with the Texas Mortgage and Agency Company.
     Mr. Price was married September 17, 1890, to Miss Florence Flinn, daughter of Alfred Flinn, a ship-owner of Liverpool, England. They were married in that city, and came to America on their bridal tour. Both he and his wife are members of the Established Church of England.
     For one of his age, Mr. Price has had an extensive traveling experience. Although comparatively a recent acquisition to Dallas, he has made many friends here, by all of whom he is held in high esteem.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 363-364.
- o o o -


Back to Index
E. T. OVERAND, contractor and builder, 204 Thomas avenue, has been following his calling here since 1886, erecting most of the fine residences in the 9th Ward and some in the 8th Ward, besides the Thomas building at the corner of Kemp street and Griffith avenue, the Thomas residence at the corner of Pearl street and McKinney avenue, the residence of S. A. Mahon on McKinney avenue, and the Worthington residence at the corner of McKinney avenue and Boal street. At present he is engaged in erecting three fine brick residences in the 9th Ward, to rent or sell.
     He was born in Macoupin county, Illinois, in 1864, the second of the three children of Wesley and Mary (Campbell) Overand, natives of Ireland who came to America in their young days and settled in Pennsylvania. Next they moved to Illinois, and finally to Dallas, and for two years attended the military institute at Bryan, Texas. Then he learned the carpenter's trade, commencing with his brother, at the age of 19 years. He opened Overand's Addition, of Dallas, selling his first lot in 1887. Since that he has sold 18 lots, and he has 18 still left for sale, most of which have buildings upon them: they are for rent also, until sold. These house have all the modern improvements -- apparatus for gas, hot water, etc. He dug and equipped the first well in the 9th Ward, which furnishes water for the neighbors. The only people there now are the families of Messrs. Bowen, Thomas, Fletcher, and Smith. Mr. Overand has been one of the busy and energetic men of the city, always taking an active interest in the public welfare and material advancement of Dallas.
     December 25, 1887, he married Allie C. Bowen, a native of Dallas County and a daughter of William and Mary Bowen, natives of Missouri, who came to Dallas county in 1868. The mother died in Navarro county, Texas. Mrs. and Mrs. Overand have two children:

Eddie Overand
J. W. Overand

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 359.
- o o o -


Back to Index
W. J. LOGAN, proprietor of Logan Steam Laundry Manufacturing Company, was born in Fayette county, Indiana, May 30, 1860, the youngest of five children born to John and Adaline (Dean) Logan, natives of Ireland and Scotland. At an early day the parents came to Cincinnati, Ohio, where the father engaged as a merchant tailor, and thence to Connersville, Indiana. In 1862, he enlisted in the 16th Indiana Regiment, and died at Indianapolis, from wounds survived him until 1864, her death occurring at Connersville, Indiana.
     W. J. Logan was reared in Indiana, and educated in the schools of Fayette county, and also attended school at Valparaiso, Indiana, from 1878 until 1880. After leaving college he was engaged as a bookkeeper for Richmond & Hatcher, at Connersville, Indiana, and five months afterward embarked in the laundry business. He subsequently removed to Terre Haute, Indiana, and then to Dallas, Texas, where he now conducts the oldest laundry in the city. He gives employment to 50 men, and is also engaged in the manufacture of soap. The business was first started under the firm name of W. J. Logan & Company, later, about 1886, was change to Brand & Logan, in 1887 to W. J. Logan & Brother, and in December, 1890, Mr. Logan purchased his brother's interest and established the Logan Manufacturing Company.
     He was married in Dallas, May 27, 1885, to Minnie Sites, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of John J. and Mary Sites, natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Logan have three  children:

Jessie Eugenia Logan
John A. Logan
Clarence Eugene Logan

     Mr. Logan is a member of the Republican Party, is now serving his second term as Alderman of the First Ward, and has been represented in the City Council. Socially, he is a member of Dallas Lodge, No. 70, K. of P., of Dallas Division, No. 18, K. of P. Uninformed Rank, and is now Adjutant of the Third Texas Rank, is a member of the Dallas Lodge, No. 44, I.O.O.F., and also of the Knights of Honor.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 357-358.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DANIEL C. LANDESS. This gentleman has been a resident of Texas since 1878. He landed in Dallas county, January 9, of that year, with a wagon and team and $10 in money. He at once rented a farm and commenced work, and from the first has been successful in his undertakings. He now owns a fine farm of about 400 acres, all well improved. His cozy and attractive residence has about it many features characteristic of the Northern home. All this property he has made since he came here, with the exception of 50 acres, which was a present to his wife from his father.
     Mr. Landess was born in Highland county, Ohio, May 16, 1847. His father, J.A. Landess, was a native of Highland county, Ohio, born in 1814. In 1865 they moved to Illinois and settled in Pike county, where the father bought land and is still living. His wife died there in 1878, at the age of 60 years. To them were born 10 children, and at the this writing (1892) all are living except two. Their names are as follows:

William Landess
Levi Landess
Nancy Landess, wife of E. A. Colvin
Asenath Landess
Daniel C. Landess
John H. Landess
Merica Landess
Harvey Landess
Samuel Landess
Thompson Landess
Amanda Landess, wife of Eustace Cumby
Martin Landess.

     Daniel C. Landess was married, October 17, 1878, to Miss L. J. Potter, who was born December 12, 1857. (J. P. Potter, her father, is in the biographical history of this volume). Mr. and Mrs. Daniel C. Landess have five children:

Valtie Landess, born October 2, 1880
Zula Landess, born February 23, 1882
Leslie Landess, born February 13, 1884
Alvis Landess, born February 16, 1886
Dona Landess, born March 10, 1889

     Mr. Landess formerly belonged to the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, but has not affiliated with these orders since coming to Texas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 359-360.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DR. KELLEY H. EMBREE, a practicing physician and prominent citizen of Garland, Texas, dates his birth in Monroe county, Kentucky, February 9, 1848.
     The Doctor landed in Texas in February 1873. Previous to his coming to Texas he had devoted himself earnestly to the study of medicine, under the instruction of Dr. Chlowing of Tennessee, had graduated at the American Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and had practiced one year in Tennessee. After his arrival in Dallas county, he followed his profession seven years, at the end of which time he turned his attention to the mercantile business in Garland, continuing thus employed five years. Disposing of his stock of goods, he then returned to the practice of medicine in Garland, continuing thus employed five years.  Disposing of his stock of goods, he then returned to the practice of medicine and has since devoted himself exclusively to his professional duties. He has won the confidence and esteem of all who know him, and has established an extensive practice in this vicinity. Starting out a poor boy, he has been successful in life, and is now comfortably situated. He owns a nice little home at the edge of Garland, and a grove of 20 acres nearby, one of the finest parks in the State. People come to it from far and near to hold picnics and religious services.
     Joshua Embree, the Doctor's father, was born in Monroe county, Kentucky, and passed most of his life in that county. He was married April 1, 1845, to Miss Catherine B. Kelley, who was born January 1, 1823, a daughter of Mason and Sarah (Cowring) Kelley. To them seven children were born:

Virginia Embree, wife of Wesley Guthrey, now deceased.
Kelley H. Embree
Chlowring A. Embree
Sarah A. Embree, wife of Duncan A. Morgan
Venetia M. Embree, wife of Ranson Smith
Mary M. Embree, wife of N. Thorp
Ida S. Embree, wife of Frank Clark

     In later life, Mr. Embree moved to Tennessee, where, May 23, 1865, he was accidentally killed, at the age of 51 years. The Doctor was then only 18 years of age, and he being the oldest son, his mother and his family looked largely to him for support. In 1870, Mrs. Embree and her four daughters came from Tennessee to Texas, making the journey by teams and coming with another party, arriving here in safety after being six weeks enroute.
     Dr. Embree was married, November 26, 1876, to Miss Mary E. Erwin, who was born June 16, 1861. (Her father was Matthew Erwin, who is also a part of the biographical history as well.)
     Dr. Embree and his wife have five children:

Emma Embree, born September 24, 1878
Earl Embree, born March 15, 1881
Edd Embree, born October 9, 1883
Ernestine Embree, born December 12, 1886
Evon Embree, born December 11, 1889

     Mrs. Embree is a member of the Christian Church. The Doctor is an Odd Fellow and belongs to the Duck Creek Lodge. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor, and has been a delegate to the Grand Lodge at Galveston, Texas, on two occasions.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 356-357.
- o o o -


Back to Index
S. D. BOND, who is engaged in the real-estate business in Dallas, has been identified with the interests of this city since 1874.
     Mr. Bond was born in Harrison county, Mississippi, in 1854, the third in a family of four children born to Rankin and Charity Josephine (Dale) Bond. His father was a native of Mississippi and a member of one of the prominent early families of the southern part of that State. He was a stock dealer and farmer. His death occurred in Pass Christian, Mississippi, in 1858, of yellow fever. The mother, a native of Georgia, is still living and resides with her son, S. D. Bond. Grandfather Bond was a distinguished  politician in southern Mississippi, and served as a member of the Legislature.
     S. D. Bond was reared and educated in Pass Christian, Mississippi, coming direct from there to Dallas, Texas. For a few years he worked at the carpenter's trade, and then began taking contracts in connection with his building. Then for eight or 10 years he was engaged in the mercantile business on Main street. He built and sold a brick block on McKinney avenue. He also erected a number of other buildings, and has been actively engaged in buying and selling property here.
     Mr. Bond has taken some interest in the political affairs of Dallas county, voting with the Democratic party. He is a member of the Tannehill Lodge, No. 56, A. F. & A. M. He is a public-spirited man, and takes an active interest in any measure that has for its object the promotion of good.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 364.
- o o o -


Back to Index
FRANK AUSTIN is a jeweler, and a respectable old settler of Dallas county. He was born July 2, 1826. His parents were Charles and Grace (Busby) Austin, both natives of Pennsylvania. The father was a wagon-maker in Philadelphia and followed that business in that city for many years, being extensively known. He was a relative of the Austins after whom the city of that name was called. He and his good wife were members of the Baptist Church and were of Welsh extraction. The father died in 1848, aged 60, but his wife survived him for about five years when she too passed away, at about the same age. She was a devout Christian woman and prominent in the church. There were nine children in the family, all raised to mature years, five of whom are still living.
     Frank Austin was the seventh in the family and was reared in Philadelphia, where he received his education in the common schools of that city. After finishing his education he learned the jeweler trade, which he worked at for some six years in Philadelphia and then came to Wisconsin, in 1856, and settled in Ripon, where he opened a jewelry store. Here he remained for three years and then removed to Warsaw, Missouri, and opened a store there and also remained there for three years. From there he went to Waukesha, Wisconsin, and opened a store which he ran until 1870, then came to Dallas, where he opened a store and has been engaged here in the jewelry business ever since, with considerable success.
     Mr. Austin was elected Alderman of the city in 1872, but does not care for political honors, business claims engrossing his attention.
     Frank Austin was married in 1848, to Miss Jane Colson, daughter of David Colson, of Pemberton, New Jersey, and she bore her husband three children:

1. Austin, who is in the jewelry business in Childress, Texas, married to a Miss J. T. Orr, of Dallas
2. William F. Austin
3. Martha Jane Austin

     The mother died in 1854, aged 24. She was a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Austin's second marriage occurred February 16, 1856, and the lady of his choice was Miss Jane W. Wheeler, daughter of Benjamin and Beatrice Wheeler, of Northamptonshire, England, where they were married, and where Mrs. Austin was born. There were eight children in her family, two of whom died in early childhood. Of the remainder, five are still living. Mr. Wheeler was a farmer who cam to America with his family, in 1841, settling in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on a farm and removed from there to Iowa, dying at Eddyville, Iowa, in 1874, after a residence of four years. His ages was 71, and both he and his wife were members of the Baptist Church. His wife survived him two years and then died at the same age as her lamented husband.
     Mr. and Mrs. Austin have had five children:

1. Frank Austin, died at age of 18 months, October 18, 1858
2. Benjamin W. Austin, married Miss Fannie Swindells, daughter of the publisher of the Dallas Herald, at that time, resides at Oak Cliff and is a bookkeeper at the Waters-Pierce Oil Company and Florence Marie is their only living child
3. Jacob B. Austin (twin of Salina Jane), who married Miss Ida L. Hickman, resident of Hico, Texas, engaged in the jewelry business.
4. Salina Jane Austin (twin of Jacob B.)

     Mrs. Austin is a member of the Baptist Church of Dallas, and Mr. Austin is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is a highly esteemed and valued citizen, who, with his wife, a very intelligent, Christian woman, are such people as give character to a community and of whom Dallas is proud. Their blameless lives and many sterling qualities of head and heart have endeared them to a host of friends, both here and in other localities where they have lived.
     We clip the following from one of the leading papers of the day: "Said Mayor Henry Brown to Round About Town: 'Five years ago, at a birthday party given by Henry Boll, a solemn league and covenant was formed by six friends present, which was that annually at the birthday of each they should all meet and break bread together in the bonds of personal friendship. Since then, one of their number, William Werden, died and was buried amid their tears. On the second of this month the reunion was on Frank Austin's 66th birthday, and all but Judge Burford were present. Mrs. Austin officiated at the dinner, assisted by her daughter-in-law, Fannie Swindells, now the wife of Mr. Benjamin Austin. To these old citizens, some of whom knew her parents before Fannie Swindells was born, it was a sweet souvenir. Each of the old friends, Frank Austin, Dr. A. A. Johnston, Henry Boll, and by inference Nat. M. Burford, left the scene a happier and better man.'"

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 362-363.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JAMES ARBUCKLE, of the firm of Arbuckle & Sons, stock brokers of Dallas, was born Glasgow, Scotland, in 1840, the eldest of 11 children born to George and Margaret (Baird) Arbuckle, natives of Scotland. The father was a merchant in Glasgow, and lived in that country until his death in 1870; his wife died of diphtheria about 1864. Grandfather James Arbuckle was with Wellington during the war, being a member of the Scottish Greys.
     James was reared and educated in the city of Glasgow, and graduated at the Andersonian University of that city. At the age of 19 years he left home and came direct to New Orleans, in connection with a wholesale dry-goods house, and became their adjuster for several years during the war, in Louisiana, Texas, and Indiana. During the war Mr. Arbuckle was also interested in vessels in Mexico, through Eagle Pass and Brownsville. In 1866 he established the first bank in Eastern Texas, at Jefferson, the head of navigation on the Red river, under the firm name of James Arbuckle & Co., and continued there until the railroad facilities established business elsewhere. He then engaged in the cotton exporting trade at Galveston, and in 1884 came to Dallas, where he engaged in importing Jersey and Holstein cattle, being the first to establish that business in northern Texas. While in that city Mr. Arbuckle was also engaged in the insurance, banking and stock brokerage business, and was the first projector of the State Fair, of which he was a director for three years. In 1889 Mr. Arbuckle bought 178 acres of land in Dallas county, which he has since improved.
   He was married in Houston, Texas, in 1880, to Mary Helen Castleton, a native of New York, but reared in Virginia. She was a daughter of Rev. Thomas and Maria (Rutland) Castleton, natives of Norwich, England, who emigrated to New York, and then to Virginia. For many years the father was at the head of an institution of learning at Baton Rouge, and later was pastor of the Presbyterian church at Houston. He was lost at sea while enroute from Galveston to New York in 1865; the mother died some years previous in New York, and was buried at Syracuse. Mr. and Mrs. Arbuckle have had seven children, namely:

George Arbuckle, now of St. Louis, was married to Marie Banconier, a member of an old French family of St. Louis
Maclyn Arbuckle, a leading member of the McLeon Prescott Dramatic Company
James Arbuckle, Jr., who is in business with his father
Mary Clyde Arbuckle, attending the Episcopal School at Dallas
Alexander Arbuckle, also attending school
Andrew Egon Arbuckle, at home

     Socially, Mr. Arbuckle is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Jefferson, and both he and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 391-392.
- o o o -
  (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)