Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Back to Main Page

 

 (Submitted by Dorman Holub)


ANDREW P. DAVIS, M. D.

Back to Index
DR.  ANDREW P. DAVIS, one of the leading practitioners of the homeopathic system of medicine in Dallas county, was born in Allegany county, New York, March 10, 1835, and is a son of George W. and Jane (Haywood) Davis, natives of the State of Connecticut. The father was a noted physician and was recognized as a profound scholar and deep thinker in his day. He was a student of the science of medicine for sixteen years before he began his practice in Indiana, and the habit of painstaking, patient research was inherited by the son, Andrew P. Davis. On account of the dishonest settlement of his father's estate the Doctor was left to his own resources. He acquired a common school education in the public schools, and took a more extended course at Wabash College, Indiana, where he made, the most of his opportunities. He fitted himself for teaching, and while engaged in his profession he began the study of medicine about the year 1861. He first made an exhaustive investigation of the eclectic system, after which he turned his attention to allopathy. For this purpose he entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, and was graduated at that institution in 1866. Afterward he practiced that system of medicine constantly for about eleven years. Not content with his knowledge of medicine in these two systems, be began the study of homeopathy, and graduated at Pulte Homeopathic Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in the year 1877, and this same year he graduated in ophthalmology, having taken a special course therein under the instructions of Prof. Wilson at Cincinnati, after which he returned to Terre Haute, Indiana, where he practiced for two years; then he moved to Corsicana, Texas, where he was the pioneer homeopathic physician of that place, and successfully and favorably introduced that system in that community. Overwork and failing health forced him to suspend his practice for the time, and he went to New York city, where he attended a six months' course of instructions in the New York Ophthalmic College, and an inspiration for still more pioneer work in the Lone Star State, in the Sunny South, without unpacking his goods, he returned to Texas, in the spring of 1880, and settled in Dallas, where he has remained almost all the time since. Five years of this period he devoted his time to general practice, and the education of his oldest and youngest sons in medicine, and graduated them both in the Hahnemann Homeopathic College at Chicago, Illinois, and settled them both in a lucrative and respectable practice in this city. The last five years of his time have been devoted to special practice, opthamlmology and otology, until within the last two years. Not having attained as much knowledge of medicine as was commensurate with the necessities of his desires, be attended another special course of instructions, under the auspices of Prof. E. H. Pratt, Chicago, IIinois, in orificial surgery, since which time he has confined himself exclusively to that branch of the profession, and enjoys the satisfactory commendation of all of his patrons in his successful cures of many diseases thought to be incurable.
     He has been a regular correspondent of the Southern Homeopathic Journal, which is edited by one of his former partners. He is a clear and logical writer, and his articles are eagerly read by the members of the profession. The homeopathic system of medicine has found in Dr. Davis a staunch and able champion, and a conscientious adherent to its principles.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 381-382.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JAMES K. PALMER, Superintendent of Public Instruction for Dallas county, Texas, has done much toward building up the educational interests of the county. He is public-spirited and progressive in his methods, and to his efficient and untiring efforts much is due.
     James K. Palmer was born in Missouri, October 22, 1847, son of Thomas and Minerva (Shrewsbury) Palmer, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively. His father was a successful farmer and a highly respected and public-spirited citizen. He was in the Black Hawk war during, the entire engagement. In the Christian Church be was a prominent and active member, and by all who knew him he war, esteemed. About 1845, be moved from. Virginia to Missouri, and in 1866 went to Wayne county, Illinois, where be spent the residue of his life and died. His wife, born in 1827, is still a resident of Wayne connty. She has been a member of the Christian Clinrch the most of her life. To this worthy couple were born five sons and three daughters. One Son, Samuel J., is deceased. One daughter and one son still reside in Wayne county, and. three sons live in Texas. All were too young to take part in the late war.
     James K. Palmer received his education in Kirksville, in the North Missouri Normal School, and a two years' special training in the Central Indiana Normal School, at which be graduated in 1884. He has been a teacher for twenty-one years, has taught in all grades, and has made a marked success in his profession. He carne to Dallas county in 1872, and has taught in Ellis, Tarrant and Dallas counties, chiefly in the conntry. In 1886 he founded the Central Institute in Dallas county, a school of four departments, primary, intermediate, preparatory and high school. He erected the building and established the school, the house and grounds costing $2,600, and was serving here at the time he was appointed to his present position. This school, both a public and a private one, has been of inuch value to Dallas county, and is still in a prosperous condition. For nearly three years Mr. Palmer has been superintendent of public instruction of Dallas county, and is now a candidate for re-election, his many friends feeling certain that he will remain in office.
     Mr. Palmer was married in 1876 to Miss Rosa Carter, daughter of John R. Carter, of Wayne county, Illinois, and after six years of happy married life she was called to her last home, aged twenty-two years. She was a most amiable woman and a devoted mernber of the Christian Church. October 28, 1888, he was again united in marriage with Miss Katie O'Brate, a native of Missouri. At an early age she went with her parents to Kansas. Her education was received in Kansas City, and for seven years she has been engagd in teaching, in Kansas and Texas. Mrs. Palmer is a lady of much culture and refinement, is well posted on general topics, and, like her husband is deeply interested in educational matters. Both are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Palmer is a member of the Masonic fraternity, having taken the blue lodge, chapter and Knight Templar degrees. In politics be is a Democrat.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 382-383.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN C. BIGGER, prominent among the successful legal lights of Dallas county, was born in Massillon, Stark county, Ohio, in 1844. His parents, Daniel and Martha L. C. (Michener) Bigger, were natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and Ohio. His father was a popular druggist, and was noted for his upright, honorable character, while his mother was related to some of the first families of the Buckeye State, and war, greatly esteemed because of her intelligence and amiability of character.
     John C. Bigger was the eldest of a family of three children, and received his primary education in the public schools of Massillon and Freeport, Illinois, where he resided until he was eighteen years of age, when, on August 10, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Ninty-Second Illinois Infantry, as a Corporal, at Freeport, Illinois.
     He participated in many battles, the hardest being that of Chickamagua, and served his country faithfully until 1864, when he was honorably discharged, by a special order of the War Department as First Sergeant. He never missed a day from duty, and escaped without a wound.
     On returning home he entered the University of Michigan and graduateduated law in March, 1868, when he at once began the practice of his professon in St. Louis, Missouri, where be remained until 1875; then he came to Dallas, Texas, where he has since lived. He has been very successful in the practice of his profession, has a large patron, age, and is highly endorsed by his brother attorneys at Dallas and elsewhere, as well as enjoying the respect of the various communities in which he has the pleasure to reside.
     Mr. Bigger was appointed United States Attorney by President Arthur, in 1882, and served until 1885, continuing under President Cleveland, He is now President of the Dallas Republican Club, Assistant Adjutant General Department of Texas G. A. R., and a member of the Republican State Executive Committee. He has prosecuted the true principles of Republicanism with vigor, and is well and favorably known throughout the State and country as a rig, sinaggressive, energetic and capable gentleman. He has twice been the nominee of his party for Congress. Socially, he is a Royal Arch Mason.
     Of naturally superior intellectual powers, combined with rare judicial acumen and an energetic disposition, Mr. Bigger has carved his fortune unassisted out of the marvelous possibilities of the magnificent Lone Star State, while his probity and kindness of heart have gained for him the universal friendship of his fellow men.
     In 1884, Mr. Bigger married Mrs. Judge Thurmond, an estimable lady, and the widow of an eminent jurist of Texas. They have one child, a beautiful daughter, now six years of age.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 383-384.
- o o o -


Back to Index
MAJOR FRANCIS M. ERVAY was for many years closely identified with the business interests of Dallas county, but is not at present in active business. He was born in the State of Pennsylvania, in 1836, and is a son of Jacob and Sophia (Sligh) Ervay, who were also natives of the Keystone State. His father was born in 1801, and in 1849, while en route to the West, died of cholera at Cleveland, Ohio. His mother is still living, aged eighty-two years, and resides at Springfield, Missouri. They reared a family of ten children, all of whom are living, our subject being the fifth in order of birth. He received his education in the common schools, and was early engagedin agricultural pursuits, in which he was employed at the time of the breaking out of the Civil war. He volunteered in 1861 as a private in Company I, Fourth Pennsylvania Cavalry, which a few months later was attached to the Army of the PotoMac, and which participated in all the noted battles of that army, up to the close of the war. By successive promotions on the field, he rose to the rank of Captain and Brevet Major. On December 1, 1864, in the charge upon the fort of Stony Creek, Virginia, Majors W. B. Mays and Francis M. Ervay led the assault on the rear (if the Confederate forts at the head of 200 mounted men of the regiment. They charged, pistol and saber in hand, and compelled the surrender of 200 men, three pieces of artillery, and a large amount of stores. The Confederates found themselves virtually surrounded, and snrrendered to a number not equal to their own. The attacking party set fire to the Confederate stores, to the railroad station and to the bridge over Stony creek, and hastily retreated with their prisoners, all of which was so quickly done that Hampton, whose headquarters were only four miles distant, had no time to retrieve the losses of the day, although he attempted to do so. In this daring assault, Major Ervay was twice wounded, from the effects of which he has never. fully recovered. He was sent to the hospital immediately after this assault, and remained their until February 17, 1865, when he was honorably discharged on account of physical disability. He then located at Cleveland, Ohio, where he successfully engaged in the oil refinery business until 1869, when he came to Dallas, Texas. Here, he was interested in various lines of business, meeting with marked success in all his undertakings. His brother, Henry S. Ervay, preceded him to the Southwest by twelve years, making a name for himself in the leading commercial circles of the county.
     Mr. Ervay was married, in 1858, to Miss Sarah A. Ross of Pennsylvania. One child, Ida, was born in 1859, and died in Texas in 1870. The mother died in the same year. Mr. Ervay was married a second time, 1872, to Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, a member of one of the pioneer families of Dallas county. They had two children, Harry Frank, who died at the age of ten years, and Estelle, the only surviving child. Mrs. Ervay had two children by her first Marriage.
     Major Ervay is a member of the Masonic order and a Knight Templar. He has for twenty years been an active member of the Church of the Disciples of Christ (Christian). He has been a member of the Dallas School Board, a zealous worker, and has ever attested the genuineness of his desire to see the coming generation well equipped in mental attainment for the duties of American citizenship. As a citizen, no man in the city of his residence more fully enjoys the confidence and esteem of those among whom he has lived for twenty-three years.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 384-385.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. WILLIAM SMITH, a farmer and stock raiser of Precinct No. 1, Dallas county, was born in Halifax county, Virginia, in 1821, the only child of Alexander and Nancy Smith, also natives of Virginia. The father died in his native State when J. William Smith was but a child, and in 1840 he moved to White county, Tennessee, where he learned the cabinet maker's trade, in Sparta. He afterward followed the shoemaker's trade for many years, and also worked at the same after coming to Dallas county. Mr. Smith subsequently returned to Virginia and brought his mother to Tennessee, and in 1855 he came to Dallas county, Texas. In 1858 he bought 256 acres of raw land, which he subsequently improved, and he now has his entire farm under a good state of cultivation.
     Mr. Smith was married in Virginia, in 1841, to Susan H. Morris, a native of Virginia, and daughter of Sophia (Herndoy) Morris, natives of Virginia. The father died in his native State, and the mother afterward married James Dillen, and in 1855 they came to Dallas county, but both are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had nine children:
1. Mary Smith, widow of P. A. Winn;
2. Sophia Smith, wife of W. S. Cummins, of Plano, Texas;
3. James H. Smith, who is married and resides on the home farm;
4. Altimesa Smith, wife of George Seers, of Dallas;
5. John C. Smith, a. resident of Cedar Springs, Dallas county, Texas;
6. Sally Jane Smith, wife of A. G. White, of Bethel, Collin county, Texas;
7. Susan Smith, of this county; and
8. H. Smith, who is married and resides in Fort Worth, Texas.

     Mr. Smith affiliates with the Democratic party; socially, he is a member of James A. Smith Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and of Tannehill Lodge, No. 52, Dallas; and religiously, both he and his wife are members of the Cochran Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 385.
- o o o -


Back to Index
A. L. OVERTON, Wheatland, Texas, resides in Precinct No. 7, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mr. Overton was born her ein Dallas county, September 3, 1848, oldest son and child of W. P. Overton, of whom prominent mention is made elsewhere in this work. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the common schools. He lived with his father until he was thirty-two years old, and in 1880 settled on his present farm, which is land his father had owned for many years. He owns 440 acres, 132 of which are near Lisbon.
     Mr. Overton was married, April 14, 1881, to Miss Minnie Brannaum, a native of Texas, born in Dallas county, in 1864. She is a daughter of Lindsey and Margaret (Miller) Brannaum, who came from Missouri to Dallas at an early day. To them five children have been born, four of whom are living.
1. William Calvin Overton
2. Roburta Overton
3. Eula Overton
4. Earl Overton
5. James Moody Overton died at the age of two years and a half.

     While Mr. Overton is engaged in general farming, be gives special attention to stock, having a fine herd of Durham cattle, and Berkshire bogs. His political affiliations are with the Democratic party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 385-386.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DR. J. B. SMOOT, a promising young physician and surgeon of Dallas, was born in Collin county, Texas, February 20, 1867, son of W. B. and Lizzie (Bozarth) Smoot, natives of Virginia and Missouri respectively. His father came from Howard county, Missouri, to Texas in 1861, and settled in Collin county, where he was engaged in farming and stock-raising, being especially interested in the latter occupation. He did his part toward opening up the way for the progress of civilization in this section of the country. His death occurred in 1867, at about the age of fifty years. His widow is still living, and now a resident of Plano, Texas. She is a member of the Christian Church at Plano. She was his second wife, and is the mother of two sons, Walter and J. B. The former died at the age of twenty-seven years. At the time of his death he was engaged in the livery business at Quanah, Hardeman county, Texas.
     Dr. J. B. Smoot received his education at Thorp's Spring, at Carlton College and at Bonham, Texas; also attended Christian College, at Canton, Missouri. While at Canton he began the study of medicine under the instruction of Dr. M. A. Atkinson, of that place. Afterward he entered Beaumont Hospital Medical College at St. Louis, where he graduated in March, 1888. He then remained there in charge of the medical clinic until November. Returning to Texas, he located in Dallas, where be has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, meeting with marked success. He is a member of the Dallas County Medical Association.
     Dr. Smoot was married December 9, 1891, to Miss Marie E. Tyler, daughter of W. M. and Dixie Tyler, the latter being a daughter of Judge P. S. Lannaen, of St. Louis, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Tyler were born four children:
Walter Tyler
William Tyler. William died in 1891, at the age of twenty-three years.
Mary E. Tyler
P. L. Tyler

     Mrs. Tyler was married in 1890, to Joseph A,. Wherry, City Registrar of St. Louis.

     The Doctor is a member of the K. of P. order, having passed all the chairs in his lodge up to that of V. C., which position he now occupies. A man of pleasing address, scholarly attainments and professional ability, Dr. Smoot bids fair to make his mark in the world. Although only a recent accession to Dallas, he has gained the contidence of the people here and, both as a physician and a citizen, he is held in high regard by all who know him.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 386.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ALBERT C. VINING traces his ancestry back to 1776, when his paternal grandfather, Benjamin Vining, was he served in the war of 1812 and lived to a ripe old age, dying in 1862. Mr. Vining's father, Cosby Vining, was born in Murray county, Georgia, in 1801, and remained there until 1838, when he moved to Cherokee county, Alabama. In 1839 he came to Texas and located in Cherokee county, where he died in 1849. He was a self -made man, having begun life for himself when quite young without any capital save his own persevering energy. He prepared himself in early life for the practice of medicine, which he began in 1838 and continued till the time of his death. In his profession he met with eminent success, traveling over a territory having a radius of sixty miles. In 1845 be allowed himself to be elected Sheriff of Cherokee county, thinking by that means he would be able to quit the practice of medicine. However, finding his professional duties did not diminish, he resigned the position of Sheriff after eight months, thereafter devoting his entire attention to his practice. For some time he was Indian agent for Cherokee Nation. In politics he was a Whig. He was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years.
     Mr. Vining's mother was Martha (Hudson) Vining. She was born in Georgia in 1811 and died in Texas in 1858. She was a zealons, consistent Christian woman and for years a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Her marriage with Mr. Vining occurred in 1832, and they had a family of seven children:
1. Joseph W. Vining, who is engaged in the undertaking business at Rusk, Cherokee county, Texas
2. George M. Vining, deceased
3. Albert C. Vining
4. Terena E. Vining, wife of W. N. Sloan, of Cherokee, Texas
5. James Monroe Vining, who was killed in battle
6. Rosa A. Vining, wife of Elijah Mosley, Cherokee county, Texas
7. Sallie Vining, wife of Dr. W. R. Pierson, a practicing physician of Cherokee county.

     Albert C. Vining was born in Georgia in 1837. He went with his parents to Alabama and in 1839 came with them to Texas, remaining under the parental roof as long as they lived. He continued to live on the old homestead until 1860. He then went to Mexico and from there to Arizona, where he secured a position on the overland mail route, stationed at Leon Hole, remaining there nine months. At the end of that time he was transferred to the San Antonio & San Diego line, continuing till August, 1862. From San Antonio he drove a team to Marshalltown, Texas. He was then appointed wagon master in the Confederate service, which position he held till 1864. He came to Dallas county, and the following year, 1865, located near his, present home. In 1871 he moved to where he still lives.
      In April, 1867, Mr. Vining married Miss Isabel Fondren, daughter of M. R. and Millie Fondren. She was born in this county in 1852, and died here in 1868.
      Mr. Vining is a Democrat and a member of the Farmers' Alliance.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 386-387.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DR. J. M. PACE, a physician and surgeon of Dallas, was born in Marengo county, Alabama, April 19, 1836. His great-grandfather, Frederick Pace, was born in Wales, and came to the United States in 1768, seven years before the Revolutionary war. He was the father of five children: three sons and two daughters, all born in Wales. William, the eldest son, and a great uncle of our subject, was eleven years of age when he came to America. At the age of about seventeen years he enlisted in the Colonial army, where he served until the close of the struggle, taking part with the Patriots, or Rebels, as they were called by the British. He married Miss Grissom, of Georgia. He lived to the good old age of four score years. John, the second son, and Dr. J. M. Pace's grandfather, was eight years of age when he came to the United States, and was twenty-one years of age at the close of the Revolutionary war. He married Miss Elizabeth Jones, of South Carolina, and they bad a family of ten boys and three girls:
1. Louis Pace, deceased at the age of three years
2. Steven Pace, at the age of sixty years
3. James Pace was killed at the age of fifty-seven years
4. Dempsey Pace, deceased at the age of seventy-five years
5. William Pace, Dr. J.M. PaceÕs father, is still living, aged eihbty-five years
6. Mary Pace, born in February, 1822, married Colonel Robert Small, and they have eight children;
7. John Pace died at the age of fifteen years
8. Thomas Pace died at the age of forty-five years
9. Richmond Pace is still living, aged seventysix years
10. Jessie Pace, deceased at the age of seventy-one years
11. George Washington Pace died at the age of fifteen years
12. Martha Pace, the first, died at the age of three years.
13. Martha Pace, the second, died at the age of three years.

     The father of these children died of congestive chills, at the age of forty years, and his wife died at the age of seventy-five years. Dempsey, the third child of Frederick Pace, was six years of age when the family came to the United States. He was twice married, first to Miss Elizabeth Rainwater, and later to Miss Mary Yarbrough. He died at the age of ninety-three years. Dillie, the fourth child of Frederick Pace, was four years of age when the family came to America, and Anna, the fifth, was two years of age.
     William Pace, the father of our subject, is a native of Mississippi, is a farmer by occupation, and during the late war be did much good service at home. For fifty years he has been a Deacon in the Baptist Church, is a man of great Christian devotion and signal usefulness, and in him the truest and finest type of religious life are imitated. He is extensively known, and highly respected as a pioneer settler. In 18__ Mr. Pace married Miss Sarah Yarbrongh, a lady of culture, possessing many amiable and Christian qualities, also a devout member of the Baptist Church. She was born January 6, 1811, and died November 27, 1857. Her whole life reflected the power and beauty of a holy Christianity in its relations to the family, the community, and the church of her choice. Mr. and Mrs. Pace bad ten sons:
James M., born January 2, 1831, died in. March, 1831
John W., born July 15, 1832, died September 23, 1841
Thomas L., born January 31, 1834, died of camp dysentery during the late war, August 12, 1862
1. Jesse M. Pace
2. Edward F. Pace, born April 26, 1838, died of pneumonia in the Confederate army, April 15, 1862
3. Nathan Y. Pace, born January 12, 1840, died September 10, 1843
4. Frederick A. T. Pace, born January 17, 1843, died January 23, 1844
5. Williamson Winfield Scott Pace, born July 7, 1848, is still living. Williamson W. S. entered the army at about seventeen years of age, and served until the close of that strnggle. His wife was formerly Miss Mary Avery. He now resides at Camden, Arkansas; has served as Mayor of his town, as secretary of the Fair Association, and was postal clerk at Washington city during Cleveland's administration.
6. Lawrence Julius Pace, born January 14, 1851, resides at Jefferson, Marengo county. Lawrence Julius is engaged in general merchandising at Jefferson, Alabama. He is a man of fine business qualifications, and is well liked among his acquaintances for his social qualities.

     J. M. Pace, was educated at the University of Louisiana, graduating at that institution in the class of 1858. He then took a course at the Post Graduate School at New York city, after which he began the practice of medicine at Camden, Arkansas, continuing there from 1858 to 1878. He then visited Europe and took a private course under the tutorship of the celebrated Lawson Tait, of the Queen's College, at Birmingham, England, where he remained three months. Dr. Pace came to Dallas in 1878, and has been a continuous practitioner here ever since, with good success. He is a member of the County, State, American and International Medical Associations. He met the last mentioned society in Berlin, Germany, in 1890, and the next meeting will be held at Rome. During their meeting in Washington City, in 1876, he was appointed a delegate from the State Medical Association of Arkansas, and was appointed to the one at Berlin for the State Medical Association of Texas. The Doctor has always ranked high in his profession in whatever comipunity he has resided, and has been an unceasing student throughout all the years of his practice. His professional skill, his kindly, genial temperament, coupled with his manly qualities, have gained him the respect and esteem of the community.
     Dr. Pace was married on New Year's day, 1860, to Miss Anna J. Woodland, a daughter of Edward Norris Woodland, of Camden, Arkansas. Mrs. Pace is a lady of culture and refinement, and possesses many admirable traits of character. They are the parents of six children, namely:
1. Edward Pace , born October 1, 1860, died March 23, 1861
2. Jessie Pace, born January 23, 1862, is the wife of Edward Gray, an attorney of Dallas, and Beulah is their only living child
3. Pace Montrose, born October 7, 1864, died August 28, 1865
4. James Pace born October 25, 1865, is a druggist of this city
5. Beulah Pace, born March 13, 1871, is the wife of Harry Kahler, agent for the Middlesex Banking Company, of this city
6. Sadie Pace born September 26, 1876, is a pupil of the Dallas High School. Mrs. Pace is a member of the Fresbyterian Church.

     Our subject is a member of the Masonic order, blue lodge, Royal Arch and commandery, and of the K. of P. and the K. of H. Dr. Pace is in thorough sympathy with the progress of the city on every line of advancement.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 387-389.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. V. CHILDERS, M. D., occupies prominent place in professional circles in Dallas, and is well worthy of representation. He was born in Giles county, Tennessee, in 1832, and is a son of J. Vaulton Childers. He passed his boyhood and youth in his native State, and received his education in the private schools of the county. Having chosen the profession of medicine as his life work, he began the study of the science at Pulaski, Tennessee, and was graduated at the University of Penncylvania in 1859, with the degree of M. D. He had just begun his practice when the war between the North and South ended the pursuit of all private interests. He took an active part in the raising of a company for the Third Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, Confederate States America, and was soon appointed Assistant Surgeon. He was afterward commissioned Surgeon, and spent the most of his time in the hospitals, although he was often in the field in active service. Viewed from the position of a citizen in a civilized quarter of the globe, it was a terrible thing to witness the carnage of battle, but from a professional standpoint, he gained a rare experience, and one that will be of profit to him throughout his career as a physician.
     After the cessation of hostilities, Dr. Childers returned to Tennessee, where he practiced until 1872, when he came to Texas, and at once entered into professional work in which he was actively engaged until 1889. He was among the earliest doctors in the place, and justly claims the title of "pioneer."
     He was married to Miss Corinne Elliott, a daughter of Dr. Elliott. Two years after her marriage Mrs. Childers died. Five years later the doctor married Mrs. Ida Patton, nee Randall, whose family were among the early settlers in Texas. They have no children. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic order, belonging both to the blue lodge and the chapter. For many years he has been a member of the Method-ist Episcopal Church, and has contributed liberally towards its support. He is a man of great integrity of character and high moral principles. He has acquired a competency through his professional labors, and lives in a handsome home on Pearl street, where he is surrounded by all the comforts of a modern civilization.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 389.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ANDREW J. PULASKI, a prosperous farmer of Dallas county, residing near Mesquite, dates his birth in Upson county, Georgia, September 29, 1852. He started out in life at the age of sixteen with nothing save the clothes he had on his back, and, unaided, he has risen to his present position of prosperity, He served a three years' apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade, and subsequently decided to try his fortune in the West. He started out in company with another young man, he (Mr. Pulaski) furnishing the money, and when they reached Texas his companion gave him the dodge, and has never been heard from since. Alone and without money, he walked day and night until be reached his destination. He then hired out to work on the railroad as a section hand, and, after being thus employed for a short time, went to Arlington and worked at his trade in the day time and piled wood at night for the railroad company, working eighteen hours a day for eighteen months, rain or shine. At the end of three years Mr. Pulaski had made money enough to buy seventy-five acres of improved land. He then returned to Alabama and was married to "the girl he had left behind," and came back to Texas that same year. Again he was employed on the railroad, this time as section foreman, continuing as such two years. Next we find him at Forney, where he bought property and kept hotel six months. Not liking that business he moved to his farm, and here he has since lived, engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has purchased other lands and is now the owner of 505 acres, all fenced and otherwise improved. He is now comfortably situated and is enjoying the fruits of his early years of toil.
     John C. Pulaski, his father, was born in 1823. He was married to Miss Maggie Moore in 1844 and in 1855 moved to Alabama, bought land and still lives on his farm there. By his first wife he had six children:
1. Sarah Pulaski, wife of Wiley Sanders
2. Bettie Pulaski, who died young
3. Andrew J. Pulaski
4. Charley Pulaski, now deceased
5. Drusy G. Pulaski
6. David R. Pulaski

     Mrs. Pulaski died in 1862, at the age of thirty-five years. In 1866 Mr. Pulaski wedded Sarah Ingram, and by her has had five children.
Mollie Pulaski, the oldest, is the wife of Thomas Tobias.
John Pulaski
Mely Pulaski
Owen Pulaski
James Pulaski.

     Mr. Pulaski, Sr.,  was in the Confederate army during the war, was captured at Fort Blakely, and was paroled.
     Mr. Andrew J. Pulaski was married to Miss Mollie Simpler, April 4, 1880, in Alabama, as already stated. She was born November 15, 1858, a daughter of William and Sophia (Murphy) Simpler. Her father was born in Georgia. She is one of a family of three daughters, her two sisters being:
1. Mattie Simpler, wife of V. F. Pace
2. Lena Simpler, wife of James Lang

     Mr. Simpler's wife died in 1869 and he was married in 1870 to Lizzie Cox, by whom he had four children:
1. Florence Simpler, wife of Samuel Armstrong
2. Houston Simpler
3. Mallie Simpler

     Mr. and Mrs. Pulaski have had four children, whose names and dates of birth are as follows:
0la Pulaski, born September 1, 1881
Maggie Pulaski, August 4, 1884
Jerome Pulaski, January 23, 1886
Andrew Pulaski, May 9, 1889 and died October 27, 1890.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 390-391.
- o o o -


Back to Index
W. C. AKARD, engaged as city drummer for Corden, Crysler & Co., wholesale grocers, of Dallas, Texas, is a native born resident of Dallas, his birth occurring in 1865. He is the second in a family of seven children born to W. C. C., and Sarah (Bowen) Akard, natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively. The father moved to Polk county, Missouri, at an early day, and was there married. He was a merchant, and in 1864 came to Dallas, where he followed general merchandising. Everything was freighted in those days, and the father's death occurred while enroute for goods, in 1871, at Calvert, Texas. The mother, who is still living, resides in Dallas, is the wife of A. C. Daniel.
     W. C. Akard was reared in Dallas, educated in the schools of that city, and afterward engaged in the grocery business on Main street, Dallas. He continued in that business for six or seven years. In 1887, he was married in Springfield, Missouri, to Miss Gertrude Staley, a native of Springfield, Missouri, and the daughter of W. B. and Josephine (Lacey) Staley, natives also of Missouri. Her father was an early merchant of Springfield, but about 1876 moved to Dallas county, settled on a farm, and there he now resides. Her mother died in Dallas, Texas, in 1873. After his marriage, Mr. Akard settled in Montrose, Colorado, but in September, 1887, returned to Dallas, where he embarked in the grocery business, continuing in the same until engaging in the real estate business in 1889 and 1890. Politically Mr. Akard supports the principles of the Democratic party, and socially he is a member of the K. of P., Arnity Lodge, No. 108. His marriage was blessed by the birth of one child, William Harry Akard.
     Mr. Akard has seen the complete growth of the city of Dallas, and has fished where the City Hall now stands. He is now residing on a part of the original bornestead, and also owns considerable real estate in the city. One street in the city, William, is named for our subject, and another street, Akard, is named for his father. Porter street was named for a brother of our subject. Mr. Akard is a public-spirited citizen, and has given his hearty support to all enterprises that had for their object the upbuilding of the city.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 391.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JESSE CALLAWAY, one of the representative citizens of Dallas county, is a son of Joshua and Margaret  Callaway. The father was born and reared in Wilkes county, Georgia, but subsequently removed to Walton county, same State, where he spent the greater part of his life, dying in 1838. Our subject's mother was born in Virginia, a daughter of Charles Crawley, also a native of Virginia. Her parents removed to Wilkes county, Georgia, where she was reared and married. She accompanied her husband to Walton county, Georgia, where she spent the remainder of her days, dying in 1868, at the age of sixty-eight years. Mr. and Mrs. Callaway were the parents of eleven children:
1. Samuel Callaway
2. William Callaway
3. Charles Callaway
4. John Callaway
5. Eleanor Callaway
6. Robert Callaway
7. Lydia Callaway
8. Nancy Callaway
9. Jesse Callaway
10. James Callaway
11. Joseph Callaway

     Jesse Callaway, was born in Walton county, Georgia, June 29, 1828. In the latter part of 1852 he went to Tallahassee Florida, where he engaged in the mercantile business, having previously followed farming. He was a resident of the city about seven years, after which he sold out and began traveling, visiting different points in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Returning to Florida in 1860, he located at Pensacola, and was a resident of that city when the war broke out. He cast his lot with his State, enlisting in the winter of 1860, in a local company, which was soon incorporated in the First Florida Regiment of Infantry, and which was soon a part of the Confederate troops that took possession of the United States Navy Yard at Pensacola. Mr. Callaway served in that vicinity until the expiration of his term of enlistment, when he entered Cobb's Legion, Wade Hampton's Brigade, and went to the front. He was in all the engagements fought by his command, which comprised some of the heaviest of the war, and served to the general surrender, laying down his arms at 8alisbury, North Carolina, in April, 1865, having bad the d fortune never to be captured or wounded.
     At the close of the war Mr. Callaway went to Pike county, Alabama, where he remained sixteen months, engaged in farming, and next removed to Missouri, living in various localities of that State, and engaged in variour occupations. Having accumulated some money, he purchased a number of teams in 1869, and began working on railroads in Missonri, which he continued during the years of 1869, 1870, 1871. He then came to Texas to take work on the International Railroad, then being constructed through east Texas, but remained there only a few months, when he sold out and caine to the city of Dallas. Here his first investments were in city lots, which became very valuable in 1888-1890. A short time after coming to Dallas, he secured employment from J. T. Elliott, in the lumber business, but after sixteen years his health gave way, and be decided to retire from active business pursuits. In 1879, he bought a farm in partnership with M. L. Cordell, consisting of 160 acres, and situated near Dallas, which he subsequently divided. He afterward bought a few acres at different times, and now has 100 acres, all of which is either cultivated, or in pasture, and which, on account of its proximity to the city of Dallas, is very valuable. Mr. Callaway gives his entire attention to this farm, and to his other. interests. He has traveled a great deal, and now often takes trips to different parts of the country. He is a member of the Baptist Church, having united with that denomination at Tallahassee, Florida, in 1858. He is a public-spirited and progressive man, liberal with his means, and kind and charitable.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 391-392.
- o o o -


  (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)