Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Back to Main Page

 

 

(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
Judge ARTHUR THOMAS WATTS is one of the public-spirited and enterprising citizens of Dallas, and one of the leading members of the Dallas bar. Of his life and ancestry we present the following facts:
     Judge Arthur Thomas Watts was born in Covington County, Mississippi, August 31, 1837. His parents, William and Patience (Lott) Watts, both natives of Georgia, were born near Milledgeville. His father went with his parents to Mississippi about 1810, at which time the Lott family also settled there. Thomas Watts, the Judge's grandfather, served in both the Revolution and in the war of 1812, being 19 years of age when he took part in the first war. He died in Smith County, Texas, in 1856, at the age of about 94 years. His grandfather, Arthur Lott, also served through the Revolutionary war. In 1810 he started to Mississippi from Georgia, in company with a number of families, and was shot from his horse and killed by Indians in Alabama. Several others of the party were wounded at the same time. His widow with her children went on their sad journey to Mississippi, and in due time the large family spread out over western Mississippi and Texas.
     William Watts, the Judge's father, conducted farming operations on a moderate scale, working about 30 hands. He was a good business man, quiet and unassuming in manner, and in every way a worthy and highly respected citizen. He sold his interests in Mississippi, came to Texas, and settled on a farm in Harrison county in 1841. He died there in 1844. For a number of years he was a member of the Baptist Church. He was a man of earnest devotion and great usefulness. His widow is still living, an honored and highly esteemed pioneer of Polk county, Texas. She is an earnest Christian woman, and since her girlhood days has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She is now 85 years of age. Of her eight children, five are still living.
     Judge Arthur Thomas Watts received his education at Zion Seminary, Mississippi. After completing his course there, he began the study of law under the direction of John E. McNair, Circuit Judge of that district. He marked success and high standing in the legal profession show the wisdom of his choice for  a live work. He was admitted to the bar at Livingston, Polk county, Texas, in 1859, and at once began practice in partnership with Judge Crosson, now of Ballinger, Texas. This partnership continued a year. Mr. Watts then went to Mississippi on business, and while he was there the war opened. He enlisted on the first of August, 1861, as a private soldier in Company A, 16th Mississippi Regiment, and served throughout the war in the Army of Northern Virginia, being first under "Stonewall" Jackson, then under Longstreet, and latterly in A.P. Hill's corps. During the war he received several slight wounds, at one time being disabled for about 20 days, but on the whole he stood the service well.
     The war over, he came to Livingston and began anew the practice of law. In 1872 he was elected to a seat in the lower house of the State Legislature, and served in the session of 1873. He was instrumental in the passage of an election law, and also in securing a compromise with the Texas & Pacific Railroad for a bond grant of $6,000,000 besides rendering other efficient services. January 1, 1874, he moved to Weatherford, Texas, and with Mr. Lanham, now a Congressman, practiced law there until 1878. In October of 1878 he settled in Dallas. Here he conducted a successful practice until December, 1880. At that time he was appointed one of the Commissioners of Appeals of the State of Texas, receiving his appointment from Governor Roberts, and in that capacity he served till October, 1885, since which time he has been in the practice of his profession. The work of the Commissioners of Appeals, with which he was connected, will be found in the Texas Reports, volumes 54-64 inclusive.
     Judge Watts married in June, 1869, to Miss Mary Victery, daughter of John Victery, of Polk County, Texas. Her father, a farmer by occupation, has been dead for a number of years. Mrs. Watts died October 7, 1890, aged 40 years. She was an Episcopalian and a most estimable woman, loved by all, who knew her. She left four children:

     Ella Watts, a former student of Dr. Wheat's school, Winchester, Virginia
Samuel Watts, a stenographer and typist in his father's office, reading law at intervals
Arthur Watts, attending school
Ross Watts, attending school

     The judge is a member of the Episcopal Church and of the Masonic fraternity.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 368-369.
- o o o -


Back to Index
WILLIAM J. OWEN was born near the city of Rochester, New York, and inherited from his father the genius of handling stock. He was educated in the high school of Rochester and in that State learned the trade of a butcher, mastering all its details - practical and theoretical - with great aptness. After some years spent in business on his own account he removed to Hot Springs, Arkansas, then to Waco, Texas, and finally drifted to Dallas in 1883, and at once began business at his present location on Elm Street, his establishment being in a  very flourishing condition, owing to his upright and honorable business methods. Although he began in a modest way his business has increased very rapidly, and at his market the largest business in the city is done. Two thousand beeves are disposed of each year and other meats in proportion. He is one of the organizers of the Texas Butchers and Drovers' Association and is vice-president of the National Association and president of the local branch. He is an enthusiastic and influential member and attends all of the national associations. He also belongs to the order of Red Men and the Fat Men's Association. His present position is due to his own industry and integrity and he is probably one of the most universally popular men among all classes in the city. He is a kind-hearted and generous, and his purse has been many times opened to the calls of suffering humanity. He has built him a cozy home on Oak Street and lives in a manner becoming his position and influence.
     On the 22d March, 1872, he was married to Miss Lillie Ward of Grand Rapids, Michigan, by whom he had one son, William J. Owen, Jr.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 369-370.
- o o o -


Back to Index
M. V. COLE, a retired farmer of Dallas county, was born near Fayetteville, Washington county, Arkansas, January 2, 1837, the 10th child of John and Polly (McDonald) Cole, natives of Virginia. The father moved to Tennessee in an early day, where he opened up a farm, and later removed to Arkansas, and in 1843 to Dallas county, spending many years of his life on the frontier. He took up a claim of 640 acres in Precinct No. 1, where his death occurred in 1850, and his wife's death occurred there also, in 1869. M.V. Cole was reared to farm life and was educated in the subscription shools of the county and also attended the Hudson Academy, near Dallas. He came to Dallas county at the age of six years, and, after  reaching manhood, commenced farming and stock-raising. In 1862 he enlisted in Scott's Battalion, which was attached to Darnell's regiment, and was confined mostly in Arkansas. He was discharged in the latter part of 1862, after which he returned to Dallas and engaged in farming. Mr. Cole has since added to his original purchase, 1-1/2 miles from Dallas, until now he owns 300 acres, all of which is well improved. He also owns a fine residence and six acres in the city. Mr. Cole affiliates with the Democratic party, and in 1873 was elected County Treasurer serving three terms, and 1884 served one year as County commissioner of Precinct No. 1. He is a member of the School Board for the 9th Ward, and was active in securing the erection of a fine school building, costing $20,000. Socially, Mr. Cole is a member of  Tannehill Lodge, No. 52, A.F. & A.M., at Dallas, and religiously both he and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church.
     He was married in Dallas county, in 1862, to Margaret Preston, a native of Tennessee, and daughter of George and Ann (Roddy) Preston natives of Virginia. The parents moved to Tennessee in an early day, thence to Cass County, Missouri, and then to Dallas County, where the father died in 1868, and the mother a short time previous. Mr. and Mrs. Cole have four children:

     Georgie Cole, now Mrs. John F. Irwin of Dallas
Edwin L. Cole, reporter for the Herald of Dallas
Birdie May Cole, at home
Marshall V. Cole, at home

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 370.
- o o o -


Back to Index
THOMAS BEGGS, of the firm of Watson & Beggs, contractors and builders, came to Dallas in 1885, and were employed by C.A. gill, general contractor, and formed their partnership in 1888. They have built many fine residences in Dallas and Oak Cliff, as those of J.S. Armstrong, S.E Wilson, Messrs. Zang and Rich, of Chestnut Hill, Pearce and Cooper, etc., -- buildings costing from $3,000 upward, besides many cottages of $1,500 to $2,000, - and the First Baptist church of Dallas (all the wood and iron work). During the last year (1890) the firm employed 35 men four months, and the remainder of the year 15-20 men.
     Mr. Beggs was born in Ireland in 1862, the son of William and Mary (Beggs) Beggs, natives also of Ireland. His father died in his native country, and his mother now resides in Dallas. Mr. Beggs learned his trade in Belfast, Ireland. In July, 1882, he landed at New York, and soon after went to Pittsburgh and St. Louis, and finally came to Dallas, as already stated. He was married here in September, 1887, to Frederica A. Lawther, a native of New Orleans, and a daughter of Colonel R. Lawther, who now resides in Dallas. They have one child, by name Robert William. They are members of the Second Presbyterian Church of Dallas. On national matters Mr. Beggs is a Democrat.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 367-368.
- o o o -


Back to Index
A. POYNOR, City Engineer, was born in 1854, in Tennessee, and spent his youth in that State. He pursued a course of study at the Nashville University, with the specialty of civil engineering, and graduated in 1874. The next year he came to Texas and was employed as civil engineer on the Texas Pacific railroad for a number of years, in addition to general work at his profession throughout the State. In 1890 he was called by the city of Dallas to the office of city engineer, and he entered at once upon the discharge of his duties. His fitness for the place is amply tested by the excellent condition of all the public works under his control, waterworks, sewers, streets, etc. He employs twelve men, skilled and efficient.
     Mr. Poynor is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, a Knight of Pythias and a Knight Templar.
     A. Poynor's mother, Mrs. Charlotte T. (Stephens) Poynor, has been a resident of Dallas since 1874, coming here from Williamson county, Tennessee. She is now in her eighty-second year, and has powers both of body and mind quite well preserved for that advanced age. Her children are:
1. Poynor, residing in the Pan Handle of this State;
2. Dr. J. S. Poynor, of Williamson county, Texas; A. M., residing near Lancaster, Dallas county, Texas;
3. Poynor. The entire family are members of the Christian Church.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 370-371.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JAMES M. BRITAIN, a farmer and stockraiser of Dallas county, Texas, dates his birth in Henry county, Missouri, November 21, 1841. He is the second son and third child of Joseph and Sena (White) Britain, and when seven years of age came with them to Dallas county, Texas, where he was reared on a farm and educated in the subscription schools of that day. At the age of fourteen he engaged in freighting with ox teams, hauling from ports on the river and lumber from the pine woods. This occupation he followed till the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted, January 1, 1862, in Company C, Sixth Texas Cavalry, and was in active duty in Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Missouri, participating in all the battles with his regiment and suffering the many hardships incident to a soldier's life. While they were on the retreat from Corinth he was taken prisoner and confined ten days. He served till the close of the war, after which he returned to Dallas county and again engaged in freighting, driving horses and continuing the business successfully for five years.
     Mr. Britain was married February 9, 1870, to Miss E. H. Gray, a native of Virginia and daughter of William and Betsey (Alderson) Gray. Her family came to Texas in 1860; her father was killed during the war and her mother resides with her children. Soon after his marriage Mr. Britain bought 160 acres of land and engaged in farming, which, with stock-raising, has since claimed his attention. He now has 227 acres of fine land, under a high state of cultivation, and is raising corn, cotton and oats.
     Mr. and Mrs. Britain are the parents of nine children:
1. Otis D. E. married Kate T. Wright, of this county;
2. Freddie J. Britain
3. Eldon W. Britain
4. Oscar R. Britain
5. Claud Britain
6. Elizabeth Britain
7. Morris A. Britain
8. Addie Britain
9. Blake B. Britain

     Politically, Mr. Britain is a Democrat. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. They have been particularly fortunate in the enjoyment of good health. Only on two occasions have they required the services of a physician in their family on account of sickness.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 371.
- o o o -


Back to Index
HENRY MOULARD, a carpenter and builder of Dallas, was born in the Department of Loier et Cher, France, in 1862, the sixth of the seven children of August and Ann (David) Moulard, natives also of France. The father, a carpenter by trade, died in France, in 1882, aged sixty-three years; and the mother died in Dallas, October 11, 1891, aged sixty-nine years, a believer in the Catholic faith, as are also the family still. Their children are:
1. Eugene Moulard, who resides in Orleans,
2. France Moulard, married to Josephine Forgeat;
3. Camile Moulard, who died in Orleans, France, at the age of twenty-three years, unmarried: he served a year in the FreDeb army;
4. Henry Moulard, the subject of this sketch;
5. Jule J. Moulard, unmarried, a resident of Dallas since 1871, and a successful carpenter, having been an employe of the firm of Murphy & Bolas for the past seven years
6. Anna Moulard, the wife of J. F. Martine of Dallas: she died in 1877, at the age of twenty-three years.

     Mr. Moulard was brought to the United States in 1871, by his parents, with three brothers and a sister, arriving at Dallas December 24. He has a brother unmarried, living here in Dallas, Jule J. by name. Henry began learning his trade in 1876, in Dallas, and completed it in Orleans, France, spending two and a half years there, where they both, Henry and Jule J., completed their trade. Not withstanding he has suffered in any privations and encountered many obstacles, he has been an industrious laborer ever since be was eleven years of age, and his present prosperity is proof of his wisdom. He has taken great interest in the material welfare of the city of Dallas and has seen many changes in its phenomenal growth.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 371-372.
- o o o -


Back to Index
BARNETT GIBBS, attorney at law and capitalist, Dallas, was born in Yazoo, Mississippi, a son of Q. D. Gibbs,- French and Irish on the paternal side: his father was also a lawyer. His paternal grand-father, General George W. Gibbs, was a well known lawyer and politician in the early days of Tennessee. For a time he was Attorney General of the State. Mr. Barnett Gibbs, completed his school days at Cumber-land University, and in 1873 settled in Dal-las, for the practice of law, and since then he has also taken an active part in politics. Was City Attorney six years, from 1876 to 1882; State Senator from 1882 to 1884, from the district composed of Dallas, Kaufman and Rockwell counties, and after serving two years was elected Lieutenant Governor of Texas. His popularity is shown by the fact that be ran far ahead of his ticket. For a time he was acting Governor. Since the close of his official career, he has been engaged in the practice of his chosen profession and in looking after his large landed interests in Texas and New Mexico. He is a leading Odd Fellow, in which order he was once the youngest Grand Master the State ever had; and he is also a Knight of Pythias. It is probably as a public speaker that lie is best known. His services on the rostrum are in constant demand, whether there is a cainpaign on band or not. His views on prohibition and finance are clear and sound. Probably no man in the State has had more to do with -molding public sentiment than he. In addressing his fellow citizens his chief delight is to find them cool and calm, so that they will follow reason only.
     Mr. Gibbs has erected many buildings and spent much money in improving the city of Dallas. He has also a large farm in this county, and is developing Arkansas Pass, on the coast.
      Quesney Dibrelle Gibbs, the father of the subject of the foregoing sketch, was a native of Tennessee, who became a leading lawyer in Mississippi, to which State he moved in the 1830s, and finally died in the Confederate service, in which be was Captain, in the Thirtieth Mississippi Regiment. He had held the office of Judge of Probate, although he never took kindly to politics. He married Miss Sallie Dorsey, a native of Kentucky and a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; she died in 1863, aged fifty-one years.
     He was married in 1876, to Miss Sallie Haynes, the daughter and only child of J. W. Haynes, a merchant. She was educated in New York and Virginia, and is a lady of rare culture. They have two sons and one daughter:
1. Sallie Haynes Gibbs
2. Wildy Gibbs
3. Barney Gibbs, Jr.
     The wife's parents, John W. and Maria J. (Plummer) Haynes, came to Texas early in the 1850s, perhaps in 1851. Mr. Haynes was a leading Citizen in McKinney, and later in Dallas, where he died in 1873. Mrs. Haynes was a native of West Virginia, and died in 1888.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 372.
- o o o -


Back to Index
REV. J. A. HARTNETT, Rector of St. Patrick's Church, Dallas, is a native of Erin's Isle, county of Limerick, Ireland and a son of Daniel T. and HaDora (Donough) Hartnett. The father died in Weatherford, Parker county, Texas, in July, 1890, aged seventy years, and the mother now resides at the homestead in that county, aged sixty-eight years. They were the parents of twelve children, eight of whom are still living:
1. Thomas D. Hartnett, a railroad contractor through Texas, Missouri, Alabaina, Mississippi, and is now in Indiana on a contract for a railroad leading frorn Chicago East
2. Michael D. Hartnett, a hardware and farm implernent merchant of Graceville, Minnesota
3. Cornelius D. Hartnett, a wholesale grocer of Weatherford, being the senior member of the firm of C. D. Hartnett & Co.
4. Bridget Hartnett, wife of Charles Nolan, a farmer of Ankeny, Iowa
5. Margaret Hartnett, wife of John Hartnett, a railroad contractor and farmer near Weatherford
6. Angustine Hartnett, an Ursuline nun of Dallas, and known as Madam St. Mary Augustine
7. A. Hartnett
8. Daniel D. Hartnett, a retail grocer of Weatherford.

     Rev. J. A. Hartnett's father's half-brother, John F. Meagher, is ex-Governor of Minnesota. Daniel T. Hartnett was a man highly respected for his honesty and industry, and his children grew to mature years under the best parental influence, as is evinced by the business tact and high standing of each. They are all persons of prominahce in their line, and are respected by a large circle of acqnaintances.
     Rev. J. A. Hartnett came to America with his parents in 1863, and to Texas in 1871. He was educated at St. Mary's College, of St. Mary's Kansas, and his theological studies were pursued at St. Mary's Seminary, of Cincinnati, Ohio. He was ordained July 5, 1891, and first served as assistant at the Pro-Catbedral of the Sacred Heart, located at the corner of Bryant and Ervay streets, Dallas. Two months later be was appointed to his present position, which he has filled successfully and satisfactorily. His congregation is increasing rapidly, and in fact, has almost doubled since his pastorate began. Since early life Father Hartnett has taken kindly to theology, his reading and studies . being directed chiefly to his present work, and his habits and customs being in strict keeping with his high calling. He is a worthy man, an esteemed citizen, and is endowed with both vigor and public spirit.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 373.
- o o o -


Back to Index
W. D. BURKE, of the firm of Burke Bros., Cornice Works, Dallas, has been a resident of this city for about nine years.
     Born in New Orleans, he spent his boyhood days and learned the trade of copper, tin and sheet-iron worker there. After working in different cities of the country for some time, be settled in Dallas in 1882. In 1888 he and his brother, J. E. Burke, established business for themselves, since which time they have been having a thriving trade and employing constantly eight or ten men, their work extending to various towns in the northern part of this State.
     Mr. Burke's father, H. D. Burke, was a native of Ireland, was married at Independence, Louisiana, to Miss Mary Taggart, also a native of Ireland, was a grocer for thirty--five years in New Orleans, before and during the war had charge of Rowell, Sons & Wad-leigh's Southern Car Works, was a member of the Catholic Church, an honest and honorable man, and died June 30, 1886, at the age of sixty-six years. His widow is still living, at Houston, Texas, now aged fifty-eight years. Of their eight children five are living, namely:
1. Burke who is foreman on the Houston & Texas Central steam shovel, which position he has held for eleven years, being an excellent workman. J. E. Burke who married Mary Men-inger and their children are:
Mamie Burke
Lena Burke
Bell Burke
Irene Burke
John E. Burke
2. W. D. Burke
3. Agnes Burke, wife of Frank Alcala. Agnes has one child, John E. Alcala, and she and her family live at Houston.
4. Margaret M. Burke, unmarried and living with her mother
5. Henry D. Burke
6. the others died in early childhood

     W. D. Burke married, in Dallas, in 1886, Miss Angelica Vilbig, daughter of John C. and Barbara Vilbig, natives of Germany and married in Wisconsin. Mr. Vilbig was a shoemaker, and later a farmer; he died in 1880, a Catholic, aged forty-eight years, and his wife is still living, in Dallas. Their children are:
1. August Vilbig, who married Kate Cramer, resides in Dallas and has one child, Anna
2. Sophie Vilbig, who is the wife of E. A. Lott, resides in Dallas and has Teresa, Alfred, John,
3. Ed. L. Vilbig
4. Angelica Vilbig, the wife of W. D. Burke
5. John Vilbig (a contractor in Dallas)
6. Josie Vilbig, at home
7. besides four who died in early life.

Mr. Burke's children are:
1. William H. Burke
2. Eleanor Irene Burke

     He is a thorough going, earnest business man, and an enterprising and public-spirited citizen. Socially, he is a member of the Dallas Lodge, No. 70, K. of P.


- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 372-374.
- o o o -



 

 Back to Index
SETH SLOCUM, plaster contractor at Dallas, the oldest contractor in his line of the city, was born in Harrison county, West Virginia, in 1839, the third- born of the thirteen children of Elias and Maria (Pitcher) Slocum. His father was a native of Virginia and his mother of Connect-icut. The grandfather, Slocum, a native of New Jersey, settled in Virginia. Elias Slocum, a farmer, died in Virginia, about 1878, at the age of sixty-five years. He was a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years, and of good reputa-tion and extensive influence. At one time he was president of the agricultural society of Clarksburg, West Virginia. His widow died in the spring of 1892, at the age of about seventy-five years. She bad been totally blind for about twelve years before her death, having lost her sight from catarrh. She was a good Christian woman.
     Seth Slocum, was raised on a farm in Virginia. In 1863 he enlisted in Company D, Nineteenth Virginia Cavalry, and served therein until the close of the war, being engaged in the battles of Droop Mountain, Virginia, Fisher's Hill, Champion Hill, Shenandoah Valley, etc. Two horses were killed under him. At Droop Mountain he was wounded. After the war he went to Ohio, and learned his trade at Parkersburg, West Virginia, and in Ohio. In 1872 he came to Dallas, settling near where he now resides, and engaged in his trade, in Dallas and surrounding towns. Some of the principal contracts he has made and filled are those for the building of the North Texas National Bank, Middleton Bros., Central Bank, Barnett C. Gibbs' building, the St. George building, the greatest portion of the Grand Windsor, the new Eighth and Seventh Ward school buildings, Exchange Bank, etc. He generally has about.eight skilled men in his employ, and twelve laborers. The Acme Cement Plaster is superior, as it gives a very hard finish. One hundred and one-half tons of Acme plastering was used in the building of the new courthouse. Mr. Slocum was the contractor for the plastering of the new courthouse of Dallas and did a most excellent job, costing over $8,000. His bid was accepted over all others, even while bidding the highest, although plenty low enough. This speaks well of the confidence of the community in him as a finished and thorough workman in his line.
     In his political views he is a Democrat.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 374.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. W. HUNT. Among the brightest young business men of Dallas, Texas, is J. W. Hunt, who was born in the city of Salina, Alabama, November 13, 1863. He was the younger in the family of two children born to William. J. and Mary J. (Smith) Hunt, both natives of Alabama. The father was a blacksmith by trade and was well and favorably known in the city where he lived. His death occurred in 1865 and soon afterward the mother and family moved to Monroe county, Mississippi, where the former now resides. She is the wife of William T. Isbell, a native of Mississippi, and the fruits of the second union were four children:
1. Priestley Hunt
2. Charlie Hunt
3. Nettie Hunt
4. Emma Hunt

     J. W. Hunt was reared on a plantation in Mississippi, received his education in the common schools, was united in marriage to Quilla Judon, the only child born to Newton and Amarilla (Miles) Judon, the father a native of North Carolina. Mr. Judon died in the army and his widow afterward married C. M. Jones, a native of South Carolina and a prominent citizen of his county.
     In 1883 Mr. Hunt and family moved to Texas and located in Dallas November 20, of that year. He rented a farm near the city and tilled the soil for two years, after which he accepted a position with the Spillman Bros. on their dairy farm, and continued with them three years. After this he embarked in business for himself, starting a dairy of his own, and keeping two milk wagons on the road. He continued business alone for a year and then took a partner to whom he sold his interest some time afterward. He then engaged in his present business and is very popular in trade circles for his integrity, justly meriting the large measure of success achieved by industry and uprightness.
     To his marriage has been born two children:
1. Amanda Lou Hunt, whose birth occurred August 10, 1889
2. Minnie Lee Hunt, who was born December 11, 1891

     Mr. Hunt is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Dallas Lodge No. 70, and in politics he is Democrat.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 376.
- o o o -


Back to Index
PHILIP LINDSLEY comes of distinguished lineage, both social and literary. His descent is directly traceable, through nine generations, to Colonel Francis Lindsley, who left England in 1680, on account of religious persecution, emigrating to America and settling in New Jersey. His grandfather, Philip Lindsley, LL. D., D. D., was one of the most philosophical and accomplished minds of this country, and one of the leading spirits of his time. So says the eminent Dr. Leroy J. Halsey, now of the McCormick Theological Institute, of Chicago, in his preface to ÒThe Life and Writings of Philip Lindsley, Theological, Educational and Miscellaneous:" 3 volumes. Here will be found the richest treasures of thought, concentrated into a single discourse. A man of impettions and imperious energy, his sermons, lectures, and orations, wielded a vast influence for good throughout the whole country. His great life work was as President of the University of Nashville, Tennessee, for which undeveloped field of labor, (and that he might develop it), he left the Presidency of Princeton College, New Jersey. Indeed, he was elected to, and declined, the presidency of more American colleges than any other man of his age.
     The father of Philip Lindsley, Dr. N. Lawrence Lindsley, an educator and scholar of national reputation, added lustre to the literary life of Tennessee, and was a man of singular beauty of character, blended with ability and erudition rarely equaled. He had in preparation, but which his death left undone, a noble work, such, indeed, under the same name and of similar scope, as the dictionary recently published by the Century Company. After helping largely to build up Cumberland University, at Lebanon, Tennessee, while professor of Ancient and Modern Languages, and of Mathematics, he founded, at his own elegant residence, near by, a school for young ladies, the Greenwood Seminary, which becamd known as one of the foremost schools of the South. After his death, his accomplished widow, Mrs. Julia M. Lindsley, carried it on with signal ability and success. This lady's excellence of mind and heart won the strong affection of pupil and friend. Her father, Moses Stevens, was an eminent educator at Nashville, Tennessee. So that Mr. Lindsley comes of an educated race, and a family of educators, whose students are now scattered over Texas and the Southwest, filling posts of honor and usefulness.
     Philip Lindsley was born in Nashville, Tennessee. In 1872 he was President of the City Council of Nashville, and at the same time was a member of the Tennessee Legislature, from the old Hermitage district. His wife, Mrs. Louise D. Lindsley, is a daughter of the late Chancellor, Henry Dickinson, of Columbus, Mississippi. Their children are:
1. Henry D. Lindsley, now in business with his father
2. Annie Louise McGavock; and twin daughters, Julia and Kate.

     On her mother's side, Mrs. Lindsley is a great-grand daughter of Felix Grundy, the invincible advocate and lawyer, and Attorney General of the United States, whose wonderful achievements at the bar, will always live in Ameriean traditions. Her maternal grandfather was Jacob Me. Gavock, who moved to Tennessee from Wytheville, Virginia, where his immediate relatives of the same name still live. His name was a synonyme in Nashville, for more than fifty years, for all that was good and noble. Mr. and Mrs. Lindsley, of Dallas, are thus directly descended from the noblest families of the land.
     Mr. Lindsley removed to Dallas in 1875, and for twelve years after settling here, he was engaged in a large and successful law practice. He has numbered among his clients, three Dallas banks, the Pacific Express Company, Wells, Fargo & Company's Express, Bradstreet Company, and leading banks and mercantile firms of the East and West, in their Texas business. He found time, in the midst of these multifarious duties, to write some able legal papers, the publication of which attracted much attention and commendation from the bar of Texas. Some years ago, he retired from the active practice of the law, since which he has established a lucrative business, as an investment banker, with which is connected an admirably conducted real-estate department, the latter of which is under the charge of his son and brother.
     By impartial critics, Mr. Lindsley is pronounced a writer of rare wit, and of the choicest diction. Some of his writings, published in the Round Table and Dallas News, have been widely copied by the press of the country. lie has also written some little poems, which editors of noted journals have commended as gems of beauty. He has found recognition in leading periodicals of the East, where his productions appear by the side of those of the world's greatest writers. Successful and conservative in business, both in his own matters, and in those entrusted to him, possessed of a beautiful home and a happy family, Mr. Lindsley enjoys life, and the fruits of his earlier labors.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 376-378.
- o o o -


Back to Index
CAPTAIN THOMAS FLYNN, a farmer and stock-raiser of Precinct No. 1, Dallas county, was born in Ireland in 1833, a son of Patrick and Margaret (Flynn) Flynn, also natives of Ireland. The father came to America in 1837, but was never heard, from after reaching New. York; the mother died about 1881. Thomas was reared to farm life, and at the age of eighteen he joined the British army, serving five years. He was at the siege of Sebastopol, and served in all the attacks before that city. At the close of the Crimean war, in 1856, Mr. Flynn left England and came direct to New York city, and thence to Loudoun county, Virginia, where he remained two years. In 1858 he came by water to Jefferson county, Texas, thence by ox teams to Hopkins county, where he engaged in brick making. In 1860 lie sold out and came to Dallas city, where he engaged in the manufacture of brick. At the breaking out of the war in 1861, Mr. Flynn helped to raise Company A, Thirty-first Texas Cavalry, known as T. C. Hawpe's Regiment, of which he was elected First Lientenant, and later Captain. He was in the battle of Spring Creek, Missouri, was taken prisoner at Neosho, Missouri, was confined at Springfield, same State, then at McDowell's College, next at Alton, Illinois, thence to Camp Chase, Ohio; was exchanged to City Point, Virginia, and later engaged with the same company and regiment. He was in the Red River expedition against Banks. At the close of the war he was at the mouth of Oyster creek, Texas.
     After the war, Mr. Flynn was engaged in the manufacture of brick until 1875, when lie moved to his farm of 310 acres, about eight miles froin the city of Dallas, where has a good brick residence and other buildings. He also bought 140 acres of the old Moneyham homestead, owning in all about 500 acres. Mr. Flynn held the office of City Marshal of Dallas in 1872-1873, has taken an active interest in the Democratic party, and socially is a member of James G. Smith Lodge A., F. & A. M. He was married in Dallas in 1873, to Jimmie Coleman, a native of Todd county, Kentucky, and daughter of Mr. Coleman, an early settler of Tarrant county. Mr. Flynn lost his excellent wife in 1874, and May 16, 1877, in Dallas county, he married Eliza J. Terry, a native of South Carolina. She was the fourth in a family of nine children born to Asbury and Winnie (Graydon) Terry, natives of Greenville, Lawrence district, Sou th Carolina. They were married in their native State and in 184:1 the father started for Texas but did not arrive there. His death occurred in Mississippi, in 1850. The mother came to Dallas county in 1871, and her death occurred in 1889 in West Dallas. Mr. and Mrs. Flynn have one child, James T. Flynn.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 378-379.
- o o o -


Back to Index
R. W. ABRIGHT, of the firm of Sonnefield. Enmins & Abright, contractors and builders, Dallas, came to this city in 1883, engaging in his present business. The present partnership was formed August 14, 1891. Mr. Abright has erected the Gould building and a fine residence on the corner of Ross avenue and Harwood street, the Dargan building on Commerce street, the Missouri, Kansas& Texas passenger depot, the Frank Hamm building on Elm street, the Dallas City Water Works, the residence of J. B. Simpson on Maple avenue, and many other fine buildings of lesser note, and a bank in Waxahachie; and since the partnership was formed the firm has erected the Dallas county jail, the Bowie county courthouse and jail at Boston, Texas, and inside finish of Dallas county courthouse.
     Mr. Abright was born in the city of New Orleans in 1858, the only child of R. W. and Elizabeth (Murphy) Abright, father a native of Ohio and mother of Ogdensburg, New York. His father went to New Orleans when a young man, was a joiner and builder, and died there, in 1858, of yellow fever. R.W. Abright's mother came to Dallas in 1884: and resides now on Pacific avenue, the wife of D. F. Buckmaster. When grown up Mr. Abright went to Shreveport to learn his trade. His first contract was for the New York Lumber Company at Alexandria, Louisiana, putting up their mills, etc., which structures cost about half a million dollars. After that he came to Dallas, and has since taken an active interest in the welfare. of the city. On State and national questions he votes with the Democratic party.
     He was married in Shreveport, in 1880, to Anna Davies, a native of New Orleans, and daughter of Reese and Mary (Williams) Davies, natives of Wales, who emigrated to the Crescent City before the war. Mr. Davies was foreman in a dry goods store. He moved to Shreveport in 1869. The mother died in Shreveport in 1873 and the father in New Orleans in 1879. After his marriage, Mr. Abright settled in Shreveport. He has had five children:
Mary E. Abright
Anna M. Abright
Isabelle Abright
Robert W. Abright
Arthur Reese Abright

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 379.
- o o o -


Back to Index
SAM H. DIXON, Inspector of Texas State Penitentiaries, was born in Hays county, Texas, August 4, 1860, son of Dr. Shadrick and Judith (Covington) Dixon.
     Dr. Shadrick Dixon was engaged in agricultural pursuits in. connection with his professional work, and was a prominent man in his day. He was a member of the State Legislature of Alabama, in 1840 and 1841, and was a member of the Constitutional Convention of that State, of 1841, he and ex-Governor O. M. Roberts serving in the Legislature together, the latter in, the Senate and the former in the lower house. He was an officer in the Indian wars, and was one of the commissioners who removed the Indians west of the Mississippi. He came to Texas in 1853, spent the residue of big life here, and died at the advanced age of eighty-five years. He was born in North Carolina, February 29, 1800, and died Febrnary 14, 1885. He was a member of the Baptist Church and of the Masonic fraternity, and was held in the highest respect by all who knew him, his word being his bond and his name a synonym for honest and square dealing. His wife was born in 1813 and is still living, an honored resident of the old homestead in Hays county, a devoted Christian and a member of the Baptist Church. She is the mother of sixteen children, ten of whom are living. One son, Benjamin F., is an eminent divine in the Baptist Church, stationed at Gonzales, Texas. Another son, Dr. W. C. Dixon, is a prominent physician of this State. During the late war he served with distinction as a surgeon in Lee's army.
     Sam H. Dixon received his education at Baylor University, graduating with the class of 1878, Dr. William Cary Crane, one of the most eminent educators of the South, being president of the University at that time. The four years following his graduation he war, engaged in teaching, and while thus employed won the respect and esteem of both the pupils and patrons. After that be was engaged on the Galveston News. Next he secured a position as clerk in one of the departments at Austin, and was subsequently elected journal clerk of the Twentieth Legislature. He was then appointed by Hon. L. L. Foster, commissioner of agriculture, insurance, statistics an4 history, as Chief Clerk of the Agricultnral Department, which position he held two years. At that time he was elected by the Board of Directora of the Farmers' State Alliance as editor of their State organ, The Southern Mercury, and continued in the editorial chair until January, 1891, when he was elected Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of the Twenty-second Legislatnre, without opposition. The caucus of the Democrat State Convention which met in San Antonio, in August, 1890, selected him as their 8ccretary, to which the convention elected him without opposition. Soon after the adjournment of the Twenty-second Legislature, Governor Hogg tendered him the position of Inspector of State Penitentiaries, to fill the vacancy made by the resignation of W. C. Holland, and the duties of this important office he is faithfully performing.
     Mr. Dixon is prominently identified with the Farmers' Alliance. In June, 1891, in connection with a number of prominent farmers, he established what is known as The Farmer's World, in opposition to that branch of the Alliance in this State which advocates the sub-treasury scheme. In 1890 he was elected by the Farmers' State Alliance as a delegate to the National Convention of that body at Ocala, Florida, he being one of the four delegates sent from Texas. This was one of the most noted conventionsof farmers that ever convened in the United States.
     As a writer Mr. Dixon has gained considerable note, the work of his facile pen beling both interesting and instructive. He is the author of "Ten Nights with Big Foot Wallace, the Texas Ranger," a story of Texas border life, published in 1876; and "Agnes Dale, or, a Virginian in Texas," a story based on American and Texas history. His best known work, however, is, The Poets and Poetry of Texas," which contains biographical and critical sketches of the poetical writers of this State and selections from their works. This war, published in 1885. He has in manuscript a novel entitled ÒDixonia; or, Life on the Farm," his father being the hero of the story. At present he is engaged in writing a novel to be called ÒThe Heir of Incero," a story of the Meier expedition.
     Mr. Dixon is a man of family. He was married in 1880, to Miss Jennie Alice Wagnner, of Robertson county, Texas, and they have had five children:
Andrew Randolph Pendleton Dixon
Katie Grace Dixon
Mary Judith Dixon
Sam Rayne Dixon
Stoddard Dixon

     All are living except the second-born, Katie Grace, who died at the age of seventeen months.
     Both he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. He is also a member of the K. of P. and the K. & L. of H., while in politics he is a stanch Democrat.
     Mrs. Dixon is a prominent worker in the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, being Secretary of the State organization and editor of their State organ, The White Ribbon. She is a graduate of Baylor College, with the class of 1878, and is a woman of more than ordinary literary attainment and social grace. She has gained distinction as a writer on temperance and kindred subjects, and in this line, is doing, much efficient work.
     Mr. and Mrs. Dixon have been residents of Dallas since 1889 and are classed with the best citizens of the place.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 379-381.
- o o o -

   (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)