Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Back to Main Page

 

 

(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
DOMINIQUE BOULAY has been a resident of Dallas county since May 10, 1856, when he came here with the French colony and engaged in farming. He was born in France, in 1826, the eldest child in the family of Benjamin and Marianne (Audebout) Boulay, natives also of France, in which country his parents died, his father in 1832. Mr. Boulay was reared in a small town in the north of France, learning the carpenter and joiner's trade, as well as the vocation of farming. He was thirty years of age when he came to Dallas county, being on the voyage in a sailing vessel from January to May, 1856, landing at New Orleans. He proceeded thence by water to Houston, and thence by ox team to Dallas. In 1866 he returned to Natchitoches parish, Louisiana, where he followed farming until February, 1882, when he returned to Dallas, since which time he has worked at his trade. Here he has made what lie possesses by his own industry. He owns desirable town property. Practically be is a self-made man, attaining his present high standing amid many difficulties. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
He was married in 1856, the year of his arrival in this country, to Isabelle Pimpare, a native of France and a daughter of Rene Pimpare. Her father, a native of that country,, came with Mr. Boulay to America. Mr. Boulay has one child, Adolphine, now Mrs. Armand, of Dallas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 392-393.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DR. THOMAS H. D. STUART, of Ellis county, is a son of Dr. R. J. Stuart, who was born in Princess Anne county, Maryland, in 1812. The father emigrated from his native State to Georgia, and in 1873 to Texas, settling on a farm where a portion of the city of Oak Cliff now stands, and thence to the southern part of Dallas county, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1883. He was thoroughly educated, having taken a literary course at Baltimore and also a medical course at Atlanta, Georgia. For several years he practiced sucessfully in Georgia and Louisiana. Dr. Thomas H.D. Stuart's mother, nee Melvina Coker, was a daughter of Thomas and Precious (Lovejoy) Coker. Mr. and Mrs. Stuart were married in 1833, and were the parents of four children:
1. Susan A. Stuart, widow of Caldwell Bishop, a farmer and merchant by occupation
2. Thomas H. D. Stuart
3. Mary L. Stuart, deceased, was the wife of A.S. Blythe, Sheriff of Miller county, Arkansas
4. Jefferson A. Stuart, general agent for Curtis & Co., of St. Louis, and a resident of Aberdeen, Mississippi.

     The father was married a second time, in 1853, to Miss Sarah E. Simmons, a native of Georgia.

     Thomas Stuart was born in Georgia, in 1839, and at the age of fifteen years he removed with his parents to Louisiana, where he remained until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted in the Seventeenth Louisiana Regiment Infantry, Company D, was at at the battle of Shiloh, and served to the close of the war. He then returned home and resumed the study of medicine under his father, and in the fall of 1866 he began a course of lectures at Philadelphia Medical College, and graduated at that institution in 1868. Dr. Stuart at once began the practice of medicine in Ouachita parish, Louisiana, where he remained until coming to Texas, in 1871, locating in Dallas county, where be continued his practice in connection with farming. He remained there until 1889, when he bought and settled where he now lives. In 1874 he was married to Florence T. Palmer, a native of Dallas county, and a daughter of Dr. A.B. and Francis A. (Dickson) Palmer. To Dr. and Mrs. Stuart have been born six children, namely:
1. Francis L. Stuart
2. Robert J. Stuart
3. Nellie Blythe Stuart
4. Jessie B. Stuart
5. Mary Stuart
6. Charlie P. Stuart

     Mr. Stuart began life for himself at the close of the war, with comparatively little assistance, and, notwithstanding his having met with heavy losses, he is now in good circumstances, owning 276 acres of well improved land. He is a kind, hospitable man, of refined tastes and good habits, and the golden rule is exemplified in his every day life. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been a delegate to county and State conventions for years; and socially is a Master Mason.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 393-394.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ROBERT MURPHY dates his birth in Daviess county, Indiana, March 18, 1845. His father, John L. Murphy, was born in Louisville, Kentucky. In 1852, in company with his brother-in-law and others, he went to California, leaving his wife and children in Indiana, and never returned. His family remained in Daviess county until 1860, when they moved to Washington, same State. At the latter place Robert engaged in the tobacco business. Their next move was to Union county, Illinois, where they turned their attention to fruit raising. Five years later the family moved to Dallas county, Texas, arriving here in the fall of 1870.
Mr. Murphy's mother was before her marriage Miss Pauline J. Cross. She wedded John L. Murphy in 1841, and by him had four children:
1. Marion Murphy
2. Robert Murphy
3. Monroe Murphy. Monroe died, leaving a widow and one child.
4. Johanna Murphy. Johana is the wife of Matthew Gillmore

     Mrs. Murphy now lives with her son at Mineral Wells, Texas.
On their first arrival in Texas, they settled near Dallas, rented land and began raising cotton. Roberts worked until he had money enongh to buy some land in the eastern part of Dallas county, about five miles south of Garland and fourteen miles northeast of the city of Dallas. He and his brothers bought 615 acres. They subsequently divided it, and the share which fell to Robert is that on which he now lives-a fine farm of 200 acres. He also owns other land, making in all 254 acres, worth, at the lowest figure, $40, per acre. Besides this he owns valuable property in Dallas. Starting out in life a poor boy, Mr. Murphy has worked his way up to his present position of prosperity.
     October 15, 1885, he wedded Miss B. L. Shawver, who was born in August, 1867, daughter of James Shawver. She has one sister, Miss Edna Shawver. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Murphy, whose names are
1. Robert C. Murphy
2. Carl Thompson Murphy

     He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Mr. Murphy is well known throughout this part of Dallas county as an enterprising and progressive farmer and stock-raiser. On his farm are found some fine specimens of' Jersey and Durham cattle and Clydesdale horses.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 394.
- o o o -


Back to Index
HENRY B. BENNETT, a successful farmer of Dallas county, was born in Freco, Arkansas, May 12, 1843, a son of Pleasant and Docia (Simpson) Bennett, the former a native of Alabama.
The parents settled in Polk county, Ar-kansas, many years ago, where the father died during the war, at about the age of fifty-five years, and where the mother still lives, being well advanced in years. They were the parents of twelve children, namely:
1. Fannie Bennett, deceased, married a Mr. Allen
2. Sallie Bennett, the wife of James Mays, resides in Frio county, Texas
3. Rena Bennett, deceased, married Andrew Johnson
4. Thomas Bennett, deceased
5. Margaret Bennett, who married Daniel Williams and is now deceased
6. Mary Emily Bennett, deceased, married Eafo Turner
7. Parolee Bennett, deceased, was the wife of William Williams
8. Henry B. Bennett
9. Matthew Bennett, a resident of Montague county, Texas
10. Carroll Bennett who resides in Frio county
11. Lucinda Bennett, the wife of John Porter, of Frio county
12. Laura Bennett, deceased, was the wife of Dock Hopkins, of Frio county.

     Henry B. Bennett came to Texas, and resided successively in Titus, Davis, Cherokee and Tarrant counties. He removed to Tarrant county in the fall of 1872, where he was engaged in milling at Grapevine. In 1878 he came to Dallas county, and bought the place of 150 acres where he now resides, sixty acres of which is under cultivation. Mr. Bennett was married in December, 1866, to Susan, a daughter of J. M. Stringfellow, of Frio county. She died April 26, 1885, leaving eight children:
1. Mollie Lee Bennett, the wife of Cal Prewett, of Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
2. Docia Ann Bennett, now Mrs. John Galbert, Dallas county
3. William Madison Bennett
4. John Henry Bennett
5. Rufus Edward Bennett
6. Jesse Carroll Bennett
7. Jennetta Bennett
8. Susan Bennett at home.

     Mr. Bennett was again married in November, 1885, to Mrs. Mary Walls, the widow of Berry Walls, of Tarrant county. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett and five children are members of the Freewill Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 394-395.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOHN LOUPOT has been a resident of Dallas county, Texas, since February, 1856, but was born in Ardennes, France, in the month of February, 1836, to Nicholas and AdaliNe Gilet, also natives of France. The elder Loupot was a mason by trade and accumulated a fair competency. Jobn Loupot obtained his knowledge of masonry under his father, prior to the sixteenth year, at which time he went to work at Sedan as a grocery-keeper, and until his removal to America in his twentieth year, he was engaged in various occupations. During this time his education was not neglected and besides attending the common schools he has also attended, for sometime a commercial college. November 11, 1855, be sailed for America from Anvers, Belgium, to Liverpool, England, and there took passage in a sailing vessel bound for New Orleans, the distance being covered in thirty-one days. He came to Galveston, Texas, by steamer, thence to Houston, but not being able to find a conveyance to Dallas be returned to Galveston and came up the Trinity river, which occupied three weeks. He was accompanied by his uncle, Francis Loupot, who returned to France in 1869. At Newport he conld not come further and the rest of the journey was made on foot, a distance of 150 miles. He and his companion, being unable to speak English, were unable to obtain food, sometimes two days elapsing before their fast was broken. The settlers' houses were few and far between, there were no bridges across streams, and at last Mr. Loupot's companion broke down and he was compelled to leave him at Palestine. With $1.50 in his pocket made the remaining 100 miles alone, swimming the swollen streams with his clothes tied to his back with a grapevine. He reached his destination February 24, 1856, his sole capital being 15 cents. The first week he secured employment at herding sheep and for one year he farmed with the French colony. He then went to Kaurman county and worked on a farm four months, then returned to Dallas and began improving the farm which he now owns but which belonged to his uncle. He followed various occupations until his marriage October 4, 1869, to Miss Rosina Getzer, a native of Switzerland, who came to this country in 1867, when sixteen vears of age, a daughter of Andrew Getzer. After the celebration of his marriage he resided in Dallas for four years, conducting a bar and bakery business, and also erected many buildings in the city, one of which was the Odd Fellows' Hall in 1872. During the Civil war be was in Mexico, engaged in freighting cotton and remained in that country for four years. In 1875 he moved to his present farm, and although he at first followed general farming he has since made a specialty of gardening and dairying. His land comprises 160 acres and is well and carefully tilled. He and his wife are the parents of five children:
1. Rosina Loupot
2. John Loupot
3. Ema Loupot
4. Maxime Loupot
5. Emile Loupot

     Mr. Loupot is a member of the I.0.0.F., and politically is independent. He is a self-made man, in the fullest sense of that of that abused phrase, and by his own efforts has accumulated a comfortable competency, notwithstanding the fact that in early life he met with many reverses and discouragements.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 395-396.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JOSEPH BLAKENEY, City Assessor of Dallas, was born in Kildare county, Ireland, March 29, 1856, a son of Hugh and Mary (Kehoe) Blakeney, also natives of Ireland. The father died June 11, 1892, aged sixty-five years. He was a member of the Board of Trade, and a member of the Equalization Board for four years, and a member of the Catholic Church. He was highly respected by the community, having always been identified with every enterprise that tended to the advancement of the city. The mother of our subject died July 28, 1885, aged fifty-three years. She was a devout Catholic from early girlhood. The parents reared a family of seven children, four of whom are still living:

1. Mary Blakeney, wife of 0. F. Bohonon, resides in Nashua, New Hampshire, and has one child, Lillie;
2. Joseph Blakeney
3. Thomas James Blakeney, who attended the celebrated college at Carlow, Ireland, three years; the Allegany college, New York State, four years; was ordained priest in 1892, by Bishop Brennan, of Dallas, and is now located in St. Patrick's Church as curate
4. Hugh J. Blakeney, who married Annie Foy, and they have four children:
Thomas Blakeney
Mary Blakeney
Annie Blakeney
Sophie Blakeney

     Joseph Blakeney, graduated at the Boston high school in the class of 1875, and the following year came to Dallas, where he successfully conducted a bakery for ten years. He was then connected with the Blakeney Manufacturing Company, 1888 to 1891, having been secretary of the company during the latter part of the last year. His brother, Hugh, was vice-president the same two years, and his father president, three years. April 5, 1891, our subject was elected to his present position, on the Democratic ticket, and in a most hotly contested election. His opponent, E. R. Fonda, received 1,900 votes and Joseph Blakeney received 3,030. Mr. Blakeney is a member of the Catholic Church and takes an active part in the Democratic party.
     He was married July 13, 1880, to Miss Ellen Griffin, a daughter of John Griffin, of New Castle, Pennsylvania. Four childlren have been born to this union:
John J. Blakeney
Hugh Blakeney
Ellen Blakeney
Edith Blakeney, who died at the age of seven months.

     The mother died at New Castle, Pennsylvania, having gone to her old home to improve her health, September 30, 1891, aged thirty years. She was a member of the Catholic Church, was a woman of eminent devotion and signal usefulness, and in the prime of life was called upon to act in another sphere. She had many warm friends, was a worthy and devoted woman, a loving wife, a fond mother and a cherished friend. The family have ever been active in business, have shown enterprise in helping forward the best interests of the city, and stand well in church and business circles. Mr. Blakeney is a man of good business qualifications, and will do honor to his present office, or any position of trust, as he carries the confidence of the people.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 396.
- o o o -


Back to Index
O. V. LEADBETTER, Oak Cliff, Dallas connty, Texas, is one of the prominent pioneers of the county, having settled here in 1848.
Mr. Leadbetter was born in Overton county, Tennessee, May 30, 1827, the second son and third child of Arthur Leadbetter. His father was born June 3, 1798, son of Arthur Leadbetter, a native of England, who came to this country before the Revolutionary war and served as a soldier in that conflict. He first settled in North Carolina, and during the Revolution moved to Jamestown, Virginia, coming at an early day to Tennessee, where he died, when his son Arthur, father of O.V. Leadbetter, was a child. Grandmother Leadbetter was nee Frances Brooks, a native of Ireland, who lived to an advanced age and died in Tennessee. Arthur was reared on the farm by his mother, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits on the old homestead. At about the age of 30, he became a Baptist minister, having charge of 27 churches near his home. He chose for his wife, Miss Elizabeth Robbins, who was born in Tennessee, March 18, 1802, daughter of Isaac Robbins, a native of Scotland. He continued farming in connection with his church work in Tennessee until 1832, when he emigrated to Illinois, then the border-land of civilization. In less than a year, however, on account of sickness, they returned to Tennessee, making that State their home until March 7, 1848, when, with their six children, they came to Dallas county, Texas. Mr. Leadbetter first settled on East fork, where he resided till 1850, when he located in what is now known as the Leadbetter neighborhood. He organized five churches in this county, having charge of four at one time in connection with his farming pursuits, and during the latter years of his life he devoted his whole time to the ministry. He took a headright of 640 acres, and located it four miles north of Cedar Hill, on what is known as the Cedar mountain, on the waters of Mountain creek. He improved a farm of seventy-five acres, where lied lived at his death. By his first wife he had eight children,seven of whom lived to be grown:
1. Mary A. Leadbetter, (deceased)
2. Isaac L. Leadbetter
3. Leadbetter
4. Lewis B. Leadbetter
5. Martha Leadbetter (deceased)
6. Cynthia Leadbetter (deceased)
7. Arthur Brooks Leadbetter. After a most active and useful life, Arthur Leadbetter passed to the reward beyond, November 7, 1859.

     Mrs. Leadbetter died of small-pox, in 1848, three months after her arrival in Texas, having contracted the disease while en route to this State. Mr. Leadbetter was subsequently married to Mrs. Elizabeth Pierson, nee Ogle, and by this union had five children:
1. Francis Leadbetter
2. James Leadbetter
3. William Leadbetter
4. Elizabeth Leadbetter
5. George Leadbetter

     O. V. Leadbetter, received his education in the subscription schools of that period, and remained on the farm with his parents until his marriage, which occurred March 4, 1848, to Miss Margaret Fox, a native of Alabama. Her parents, Joseph and Lucy (Evans) Fox, were natives of Tennessee, her birth occurring while they were sojourning in Alabama. They subsequently moved to Texas, and located in Dallas county. Mr. Leadbetter took a headright in Mercer's colony, in the eastern part of the county, remained there three years, and in 1851 exchanged his right for one in Peters' colony, where he has since lived. The land was wild and he began improving it, at the same time working at the blacksmith's trade, being a natural mechanic. In July, 1862, he became a soldier in the Twenty-second Texas Infantry, and was a participant in the battle of Galveston. He was detailed in the Commissary Department, and took charge of the Government shop at Beanmont, Texas, and remained in the service until the close of the war, receiving his discharge at Houston. The war over, be returned to his farm and agricultural pursuits, where, as the years glided by, prosperity attended his honest and earnest efforts, and today he is the owner of 254 acres of well improved land, all under a high state of cultivation. The water supply of this place comes from a spring, over which the friendly branches of a large elm tree casts a most delightful shade. This immense tree was but a sapling five feet high when Mr. Leadbetter took up his abode here. Changed is the scene now. A two-story residence, erected in 1876, has taken the place of the primitive log cabin, 12 x 14 feet, with its dirt floor, in which Mr. and Mrs. Leadbetter established their home. Sons and daughters have grown up around them. Two have passed to the other world and eight are still living.
1. Thomas J. Leadbetter died at the old home
2. Nathaniel B. Leadbetter, a civil engineer, while acting as Deputy County Surveyor and locating land in Brown county, was drowned in Pecan bayou, near Brownwood, aged twenty-four years.
3. Wesley C. Leadbetter
4. Minerva Leadbetter
5. William O. Leadbetter
6. Linnie Leadbetter
7. James J. Leadbetter
8. Arthur L. Leadbetter
9. Thomas J. Leadbetter
10. Carroll E. Leadbetter

     Mr. Leadbetter is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and his wife of the Christian Church. In politics he affiliates with the Democratic party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 397-398.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ROBERT P. TOOLE, a prominent citizen of Dallas, Texas, office in the Bankers & Merchants' bank building, dates his birth in Blount county, Tennessee, Novernher 18, 1851. Of his life and ancestry the following facts have been gleaned:
   Mr. Toole's parents, James M. and Loncilla R. (Patton) Toole, were natives of Tennessee and Georgia, respectively. His father was a merchant in Maryville and Knoxville, was successful in his business enterprises, and accumulated large possessions. He lost heavily, however, during the war. He was well and favorably known both in business and social circles; was for many years an Elder in the Presbyterian Church, and also served as Sabbath school Superintendent for a number of years. Grandfather William Toole, a native of North Carolina, was a saddler and had a large establishment in Maryville, employing a large number of hands. This was the leading industry of the place. He was a very devout member of the old school Presbyterian Church. His death occurred in 1861. For a number of years be served as a Justice of the Peace in Maryville. Matthew Toole (the grandfather of Colonel Keller, of Dallas) was his brother, their father being a native of the Emerald Isle. Matthew moved to Mississippi from North Carolina, and died there many years ago, William Toole's wife was before marriage a Miss Berry. James M. Toole was twice married. His first wife was a Miss Wallace. Their two children were:
1. George A. Toole
2. Elizabeth Toole, who is now the widow of Stewart N. Fain, and lives in East Tennessee

1. Robert P. Toole is the oldest of the four children by his second wife,
2. Matthew M. Toole
3. Albert J. Toole
4. Annette. Toole

     Robert P. Toole moved with his parents to Knoxville, Tennessee, when he was ten years old, Knox being an adjoining county to Blount, and was educated at the University of Tennessee, located at Knoxville. He read law in the office of W. P. Washburn, Esq., and was admitted to the bar in 1876. In that year, when only twenty-one years of age, he was made a sub-elector for Knox and adjoining counties, and became prominent in politics through his canvass for Tilden. In 1880, he was elected City Attorney of Knoxville, but in the fall of that year resigned his position and came to Texas. Settling at Dallas, he assumed an editorial position on the old Dallas daily Herald, of which Colonel John F. Elliott was the editor-in- chief, and one of the proprietors. In 1884, upon the adoption of Olin Welborn, member of Congress from the Dallas district, as chairman of the House Committee on Indian Affairs, be selected Mr. Toole as the Secretary of the Committee, and Private Secretary of the Chairman. This appointment sent him to Washington, where he remained for three winters. He afterward was connected with various newspapers in the capacity of editorial writer, special reporter, and legislative correspondent, among them the Memphis Avalanche. and the Houston Post.
      In consequence of impaired health, Mr. Toole gave up his newspaper work in 1890, and, returning to Dallas, took charge of the Dallas Land Title Abstract Company's business, the management of which he has at the present time. In 1890, he purchased a home in Oak Cliff, a suburb of Dallas. where he now resides. In April of this year (1892) he was elected one of the Aldermen of  this magic little city, leading the entire ticket by a flat-tering margin. In response to a call signed by over 400 of the leading and representa-tive citizens of Dallas, in May of this year, Mr. Toole announced himself as a candidate to represent Dallas county in the Twenty- third Legislature of Texas, and was nomin-ated by acclamation for the position by the Democratic County Convention of Dallas county, on the 19th of July. His ability to- fill this honored position, and his great popu-larity with all classes of people, render him a strong man for the race.
       Mr. Toole is a man of family. He was married in 1883, to Miss, Clemmie Parker, who was born and reared in Dallas. Their only child is Cora McCoy Toole.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 398-399.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ABRAM McCOY HORNE, deceased, one of the earliest settlers of Dallas county, had the distinction of being the first white person born in Lexington, Missouri, the date of his birth being July 31, 1819. He was a son of the Rev. William Horne, a native of East Tennessee, and a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, who removed to Missouri in 1817 and was among the pioneer settlers there; he died while on a journey to California 1857. He married Elizabeth McCoy, a native of east Tennessee and a member of one of the oldest families of that section. She died in Texas, in her eighty-fifth year.
     Abram McCoy received a fair education for those early days, and was trained to the occupation of farming. He followed the plow for thirty-five years in his own State, and then went to Kansas, where he engaged in freighting goods across the plains for two years. He then returned to agricultural pursuits, and in 1866 he came to Texas, settling in Dallas county. The county was then thinly settled, and business in Dallas city was confined to the public square. He embarked in the dry-goods and grocery trade, the firm being Horne & Blake, and conducted a very successful business. It was too confining to suit his naturally rural tastes, and he accordingly sold out and invested in a plantation. This land he never occupied himself, but bought eleven acres from Judge N. M. Burford in the heart of the present site of Dallas, and built a residence there. He bad to cut the timber to clear a spot for the house, and thus has witnessed a wonderful transformation in the surroundings of his early home.
     Mr. Horne was married in 1842, to Miss Elizabeth J. Johnson, and six children were born to them, one of whom survives, Mrs. Ernest, a resident of Dallas. The mother died in 1874 and her remains were buried in the old cemetery. In 1875 Mr. Horne was married a second time, to Ruth Ann Ross, a native of Tennessee. She died March 2, 1891. Three grandchildren until recently made their home with our subject:
1. Annie L. Kelly
2. John M. Ernest
3. Arthur M. White

     December 3, 1891, in Dallas, Mr. Horne married Miss Clara O. Ramsey, of Norwood, Louisiana. January 29, 1892, his horse ran away, throwing him from his buggy and so injuring him that he died two days afterward, January 31, 1892, at 6:30 p.m.
Mr. Horne was a faithful member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for forty-eight years, and politically war, an old Jackson Democrat. While he was a resident of Kansas he was County Judge for a time, and while on the plains held a Captain's commission from the United States Government, having charge of fifty men. He was the old Missourian in Dallas county and took precedence on Missouri day at the State Fair. Mrs. Ruth Ann Ross Horne was a charter member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Dallas, and Mrs. Elizabeth J. Horne belonged to, the same society.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 399-400.
- o o o -


Back to Index
H. C. BARLOW, an able constructive architect, contractor and builder, and an efficient general superintendent of all kinds of buildings, located at No. 317 Flora street, Dallas, Texas, has followed his vocation in this place since the fall of 1880.
His parents were Joseph and Ariana (Norwood) Barlow, both natives of Maryland and both belonging to well-known and highly respected families of that State, in which the grandparents of each were born. His maternal grandmother was a Howard, and married Edwin Norwood, who was a prominent man of his day. His grandmother's brother, Samuel Howard, inherited all his parents' large property, including many slaves, according to the old English law prevalent in Maryland, which provided that, in case of no will the eldest son should inherit everything, he, however, was more liberal than the law, for he divided his possessions with the rest, some time later, selling out and going West to Ohio, which was then a wild and unsettled country, and where he afterward died.
      The father of H. C. Barlow was a prosperous wholesale and retail grocer of Baltimore, who, after the close of the war, settled on a large farm near that city, on which he died in 1882, aged sixty-four years. He was a man of very great financial ability, intensely energetic and of exalted probity, all of which conspired to gain for him the universal respect of his associates and friends who were much attached to him on account of his rare personal and social attractions. The mother of H. C. Barlow, who was two years older than her husband, is still living, at the age of seventy-seven years, and resides on tile old homestead. She is a woman of intelligence and many amiable traits of character, which have endeared her to a host of friends in the neighborhood in which she has resided for so many years.
      H. C. Barlow was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1848, and was the sixth in order of birth of a family of eight children. He received his education in that city, where he was living when the city authorities called for the enlistment of all loyal citizens, between the ages of sixteen and sixty-five, who should assist in the defense of the city against the invasion of General Early's army, who in their attempt to capture Washington city made a bold raid through Maryland. Among those to answer this imperative call was the subject of our sketch, his father and two elder brothers of H.C. Barlow. The former two served for only a couple of weeks, or until the fright was over, and, upon the father being solicited to permit his youngest son to continue in the service, he very justly replied that be bad boys in the army, and if it should become necessary he himself would enlist and take with him H. C. Barlow. This checked further inaportuning on that point; but after the close of the war, in order to abate somewhat the excessive fervor engendered by recent military performances, our subject enlisted in the regular service for three years, and served out his time, during which he was mostly in Arkansas and the Indian Territory, and assisted in reconstructing the former state.
      Mr. Barlow suffered the inconvenience of having a wealthy father, and was thus not forced to early learn a trade or exert his natural abilities, with which latter he is undoubtedly abundantly endowed. It thus transpires that we find him serving an apprenticeship of six months at the carpenter's trade in St. Louis, in the meantime, and without a teacher, other than books, studying architecture, for which, it seems, he had a decided adaptability, being a born mechanic, and having, almost, come whittling into the world.
     In 1871 be came to Texas, settling in Houston, where he was employed as a journeyman and also worked in the railroad shops. In 1880 he came to Dallas, where he has done a great deal of work, having erected some of the finest buildings in the city. He has the advantage of having served in every department of his business, and thus brings a thorough knowledge of all details and an extended experience to bear on all work under his superintendence. He has traveled extensively throughout the State, is widely and favorably known, and often has his judgment referred to in matters of importance, both relating to his business, in which he is conceded to be an authority, as well as in other matters of moment to the State and country.
     Thus has intelligent and persistent effort resulted in eminent business success, while his noble qualities of heart have attracted and retained the universal esteem of his fellow men.
     In politics he is independent, selecting from the various tickets those candidates who, in his opinion, are the best adapted, by reason of natural ability and experience as well as thorough probity of character, to fill the important positions to which they aspire to be elected.
     He was married in Maryland in 1883, to Miss Laura Virginia Forsyth, an estimable lady and a native of that State. She is a daughter of John and Margaret (Hipsley) Forsyth, both natives of the Fame State, where they are well and favorably known. Her father died in 1876, but her mother still lives, near Baltimore, where she is much esteemed on account of her sterling qualities of mind and heart.
     Mr. and Mrs. Barlow have three children,
1. Emerson Caspar Barlow
2. William H. Barlow
3. Margaret Arianna Barlow

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 400-402.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. H. MITCHELL, physician and surgeon, Dallas, Texas, was born in Sumner county, Tennessee, September 6, 1834, son of Pleasant and Sarah (Hunt) Mitchell, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of North Carolina.
   Pleasant Mitchell went from Virginia to Tennessee with his parents in 1820, and was engaged in farming along the Bledsoe creek for twenty years. His death occurred there in 1840. He was well and favorably known in that vicinity, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a leading spirit and officer in the church. His wife survived him a number of years, her death occurring in 1888, at the age of seventy-two years and three months. She, too, was an earnest Christian and a member of the Methodist Church. Of their three children:
1. Dr. J.H. Mitchell. The Doctor is the oldest.
2. Sophia C. Mitchell. Sophia C., wife of John Dunnegan, was born in 1836, and died in September, 1857.
3. Mary F. Mitchell. Mary F., wife of William Kersy, lives in Polk county, Missouri.

     Dr. J. H. Mitchell was educated in Humansville Academy, Polk county, Missouri, to which place the family moved in 1847. He graduated at the Eclectic Medical Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1861. Previous to this he made the overland journey to California, taking with him a drove of 800 cattle, and after an absence of two years returned East in 1859. In July, 1861, he entered the Confederate service, and as assistant surgeon was with Dr. Chenoweth in Cotbron's Brigade, under General Price. At the end of one year failing health compelled him to leave the service.
     Dr. Mitchell had opened an office in Dallas county, Missouri, in March, 1861, and practiced there till July. After leaving the army he located in Rockwall, Texas, in the fall of 1862, where he was engaged in the practice of his profession until 1866. Then he spent six months in Alexandria, Louisiana; was in Nashville, Illinois, from 1866 to 1871, and in Sweet Springs, Missouri, from 1871 to 1884. Coming to Dallas, Texas, in 1884, he established himself in practice here, and has since been ranked with the worthy members of the medical profession of Dallas county. While in Rockwall he was medical examiner of furloughed soldiers and of those who entered the service there. At Sweet Springs he was medical examiner for the Hartford Life Insurance Company. He is a member of the State Medical Association of Texas, and of the National Medical Association of the United States.
     The Doctor was married in 1864 to Mrs. Sarah Vassallo. They have six children:
1. Emma G. Mitchell
2. John Brittan Mitchell, who is in the employ of Meyer Brothers, wholesale druggists, Dallas
3. Lloyd B. Mitchell, who has been with the Crowdus Drug Company five years
4. Joseph Edwin Mitchell
5. Rena Mitchell
6. Natalin V. Mitchell

     Dr. Mitchell is a member of the Masonic fraternity, both of the blue lodge and chapter, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
     Mrs. Mitchell is a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Dye, she being one of the four of their sixteen children - nine daughters and seven sons - who are still living. Her parents, both natives of Virginia, were married there and early moved to Kentucky, and, after rearing a family in that State, came to Texas in 1847, being among the honored pioneers of the State. Her father died in 1852 and her mother in 1879. By her former husband, Francesco Vassallo, she has one child, Angioletta, who is now the wife of W. J. McConnell, of Dallas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 402-403.
- o o o -


Back to Index
W. L. SMITH, brick contractor and builder of Dallas, has been engaged at his trade here since his arrival November 24, 1876. His work has been the construction of business blocks, such as the News office on Commerce street and the Farmers' Alliance building, and sub-contractor on the Harwood school building, the addition to an academy, and what is now the Guild building on Elm street, three fire-engine buildings in Dallas, and many other structures, besides a number of residences, as those of Mr. Foster, P. Wilkinson on Ervay street, etc. He generally has in his employ ten mechanics and fifteen laborers.
     Mr. Smith was burn in Jefferson county, Tennessee, in 1834, the eldest child of Absalom (a farmer) and Mary (Lockhart) Smith natives of Tennessee. His father died in 1851, and his mother about 1864. In 1862 Mr. Smith enlisted in Company H, Twenty-third Tennessee Infantry, was captured at Vicksburg May 22, 1863, confined in prison twenty-two months at Fort Delaware and Point Lookout, in Delaware and Maryland, paroled in 1864 and went to Decatur, Illinois, whore he was employed; he also worked at Springfield.
     He was married in Tennessee, in 1858, to E. C. Rowe, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of Abraham and Dorcas (McKehan) Rowe, natives of Tennessee and both now deceased. Mr. Smith moved with his family to Dallas in 1876.
     As to political matters he has not been active, except so far as to vote the Democratic ticket when presented. He is a member of the American Legion of Honor, Lodge No. 410, and of the order of the Golden Cross. He and his wife belong to the Presbyterian Church. Of their eight children, five are living, namely:
Charles N. Smith, married and residing in Dallas
Clara Smith
Bell Smith
William E. Smith
Frank D. Smith
Arthur T. Smith

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 403.
- o o o -


Back to Index
L. HOUSLEY. America is peculiarly the home of young business men, and particularly is this true of the West, where they have a chance to grow, not being stunted or crowded out of existence by the fierce competition of older civilization. This is particularly true of Texas, whose wide expanse is peculiarly adapted to the cultivation of this promising product, as is amply testified by its numerous successful businessmen. Among these, none are more conspicuously endowed with those qualifications necessary to insure success than is L. Housley, whose extraordinary energy has removed all the obstacles of circumstances, and gained for him a foremost rank among this army of pushing mercantile giants.
      L. Housley was born near the town of the same name, Housley, located in Dallas county, on December 25, 1868, and remained on the home farm until he was fifteen years of age. At this time he began to learn the drug business, working, for this purpose, in a drug store in Dallas for two years, when, varying his occupation, he engaged in farming for a while, subsequently starting a dry-goods and grocery store in the town of Housley. It was while thus employed that he was summoned to official duty, having been appointed Postmaster by President Cleveland, which office he still holds, under the present administration. This fact of itself sufficiently testifies to his ability and integrity, both of which are necessary for a fitness for this office.
      Mr. Honsley was married October 3, 1888, to Miss Willie E. Stokes of Chapel Hill, Washington county, this State, a vivacious and amiable young lady, and a representative of a prominent family. Her parents were originally from Mississippi, and her grandfather, Rev. J. H. Stone was one of the pioneers of Washington county. She has a brother, who is an able lawyer, residing in Wichita Falls, Texas. He married Miss Lillie Billingslea, a well known society lady. Mrs. Housley's sister, Miss Mannie Stokes, a very bright young lady, was married to R. D. Exurn, a wealthy planter, and a prominent business man of Vaughan, Mississippi.
      L. Housley and his wife have two children: the elder, Blanche, was born July 17, 1889, and the younger child was born June 25, 1891. Mrs. Housley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
      The location and natural environments of the place chosen by Mr. Housley for his home, eminently fit it for that use. With 190 acres of highly cultivated land situated on the shores of a sparkling sheet of water, covering three acres at a depth of twenty-five feet, known as Housley lake, abounding with the greatest quality Of fine fish, it may well be one of the show places of the State. On an attractive site on this land Mr. Housley has built a handsome residence, with all modern conveniences and improvements, besides commodious barns for his grain and stock. Two hundred yards from his residence is his store, which is the largest in the town. Here he conducts a large business in dry goods and groceries. Mr. Housley is permanently located, and will lend all his efforts to make Housley lake the metropolis of this part of the county, which with his reputation for energy and determination he will no doubt accomplish.
      Public-spirited and liberal-minded, ever ready to lend his efforts to the promotion of the public good, Mr. Housley has gained the. confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens, while his cordial, accommodating disposition has endeared him to a large circle of friends.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 403-404.
- o o o -


Back to Index
J. W. MORRISON, a contractor and builder of Dallas, came to the city in April, 1873, at which time the place contained a population of 5,500, and he has ever since followed his vocation here. For the first four or five years he was a journeyman carpenter, commencing to take contracts for himself in 1877. He erected the business houses of Blankenship & Blake, at the corner of Commerce and Lamar streets, and that of Doran Bros., a two-story brick on Mann street, a large three-story brick at the corner of Elin and Ervay streets, and all the buildings at the fair grounds; also the private residences of Alderman Loeb on Wood street, a tine brick residence at the corner of Harwood street and Ross avenue, costing about $15,000, one on Bryan street costing about $7,000; also a few business houses and residences at Waxahachie, a two-story residence in the country, twenty or thirty cottages, and three residences for himself on suuth Harwood street-two of one-story each and one of two stories.
      Mr. Morrison was born in Scotland, June 22, 1854, the eldest of the three children of John and Jane (Ralston) Morrison, natives of Scotland. His mother, who was born in Paisley, Scotland, died in the old country, in 1861; and his father came to America in 1865, settling in Hancock county, Illinois, and engaging in farming there until his death, occurring August 6, 1887. Mr. J. W. Morrison was educated in the schools of Glasgow, and served his apprenticeship there at the carpenter and joiner's trade. In 1871 he emigrated to the United States, landing at New York, and going thence by way of Chicago to flancock county, Illinois. He coinmenced work for himself in Keokuk, Iowa, and in 1873 came to Dallas as first stated. At that time the Texas Central and Pacific railroads had just reached this point. Since coming here he has earned a substantial reputation and prospered in business. He takes no active part in partisan politics, but votes for the best man and measures independently. He is a member of Dallas Lodge, No. 70, K. of P. In Dallas, March 14, 1877, he married Min-nie Emily Etta Tooth, a native of Manchester, England, and a daughter of Richard and Ann (Blears) Tooth, natives also of England. Her father was a civil engineer and was sent out by the Government to survey and construct a railroad in South America, and he died in Peru, about 1873. Her mother, with two daughters, came to Canada, and finally to Dallas, about, 1875. Her death occurred in Mexico, about 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Morrison have three children:
John Richard Morrison
Robert Samuel Morrison
Albert Arthur Morrison

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 404-405.
- o o o -


Back to Index
GEORGE W. NEWMAN, M. D., was born in Dallas county, Texas, February 18, 1861. He was reared on a farm in his native county, where he remained with his father until he was grown. He then attended the Trinity University, and after completing his college course, chose medi-cine for his profession, beginning its study under the instruction of Dr. D. C. Pardue. Subsequently he entered the Tulane University at New Orleans, and graduated in medicine, in 1888. He then returned home and commenced the practice of his pro-fession in his own neighborhood, Pleasant valley, where he has since remained.
     He was married to Miss Bettie Munday, December 17, 1882, on her twentieth birthday, she having been born in Mercer county, Kentucky, in 1862. After his marriage the Doctor bought a farm of 241 acres, on which he built a nice residence. His farm is now one of the finest in the county. He has two tenant houses for his hired help. The farming operations are all under his personal supervision, and this, together with his extensive professional duties, wholly occupies his time.
     The  Doctor's father is H. R. Newman.
     Mrs. Newman's mother died when she was one day old, and she had also the misfortune to lose her father when she was quite small. She was reared by her grandmother, Margaret Munday, and after her marriage the venerable grandmother came to live with her. She is a most amiable old lady, and is now eighty-nine years of age, having been born in Kentucky, December 22, 1802. Her son, Thomas Munday, father of Mrs. Newman, was born in Woodford county, Kentucky, December 6, 1827, and was married to Miss Nancy Baldwin, on the 30th of November, 1860, Mrs. Newman being their only child.
     The Doctor and his wife have bad four children:
James A. Newman, born July 6, 1885
Charley Newman, March 30, 1887, died April 25, 1890
Guy Newman, born April 11, 1889
Maggie May Newman, January 29, 1891

     Dr. Newman is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife of the Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 405-406.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ANDREW T. REID, of the firm of Lindsay & Reid, stone contractors and proprietors of a Stone yard on Broadway and Pacific avenue, Dallas. In September, 1882, he came from Marquette, Michigan, to Texas, locating at Austin, where he followed his trade; the next year he came to Dallas and worked at stone-cutting by the day until he formed the present partnership, in 1888.
     He was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in May, 1852, the only child of Andrew T. and Margaret (Peat) Reid, natives of Perth, Scotland, and deceased many years ago. At the age of twenty-seven Mr. Reid emigrated to the United States, stopping first for a while in New Jersey, next in Chicago and Indiana, then Marquette, Michigan, then to Austin, Texas, and finally, as before stated, to Dallas.
     In politics he takes an active interest, but votes independently; has been actively identified with many public-spirited enterprises and is a useful citizen. He is a member of the Caledonia Club of Dallas. He was married in Marquette, Michigan, in 1881, to Elizabeth E. Lee, a native of Canada and a daughter of Michael and Mary Lee, natives of Ireland who in early days moved to Canada and died there. Mr. Lee, as well as the father of Andrew T. Reid, were farmers. Mr. Reid's children are James and Mary.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 406.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JULIUS BAUMANN, a carpenter, and builder of Dallas, was born in Germany, in 1853, the youngest son of August and Welhelmine (Heise) Baumann, also natives of Germany. The parents remained in their native country until death, the father dying in 1872, and the mother in November, 1890. Julius was reared and educated in his native country, where he also learned the cabinetmaker's trade. After coming to Texas he remained a short time in Abilene, but in November, 1881, he came to Dallas, where he has since remained. He has been engaged in the building interests since coming to this State; also bought and improved his place on Caroline street, and has four residences on McKeniton street, which he rents. Mr. Baumann is identified with the Democratic party, but takes no active interest in politics, and socially, is a member of the Knights of Honor, at Dallas. He has always taken an active interest in everything for the good of the county, and has made what he has by his own efforts.
     He was married in this city, in 1884, to Minna Thiede, a native of Germany, and a daughter of Christian and Caroline Thiede, Also natives of Germany. The parents were married in that country, and in 1883 came to Dallas county, and they now reside near Richardson, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Thiede have reared a family of eight children, six of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Baumann have three children:
1. Otto Baumann
2. Emma Baumann
3. Metha Baumann

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 406-407.
- o o o -


Back to Index
SAMUEL KLEIN, President of the Dallas County Council, was born in Bavaria, Germany, and is a son of Joseph and Johanna (Weiss) Klein. He received the thorough education characteristic of the German nationality, and at the age of fourteen years engaged in mercantile pursuits with his father. He bad been thus employed for two years, when he determined to cross the sea and try his fortunes in a foreign country. The new world offered inducements to the young and brave that the European countries did not possess, and with a heart full of brightest hope for the future he landed in New York city. He continued his journey to the West and at the age of seventeen years he was engaged in the manufacture of clothing at Rushville, Indiana. He was very successful, and carried on this enterprise until 1873, when he removed to Texas, and settled in Dallas, which was then a village. He first gave his attention to the wholesale liquor business, associating himself with Mr. Wolf, under the firm name of Klein & Wolf. This relationship existed until 1875, when the firm was changed to Freiberg, Klein & Co., and the business transferred to Galveston, Texas. They established a high reputation for integrity and fair dealing. Since his residence in Dallas, Mr. Klein has been interested in various enterprises, and has aided very largely in the development of the city. When the new city charter was granted, he was chosen First President of the Council, and he is now a member from the fourth ward. He is a stanch, efficient officer, and has the courage of his convictions. He belongs to the Masonic order, to the Knights of Pythias, and to the I.O.B.B. Politically, he is a Democrat. He is one of the leading members of the Jewish congregation, and has contributed liberally to the support of the synagogue, and other churches as well.
     Mr. Klein was married August 29, 1877, to Miss Henrietta Simon, and they are the parents of four children.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 407.
- o o o -


Back to Index
N. J. LACY, engaged in the real-estate business in the city of Dallas, was born in Christian county, Kentucky, on July 14, 1854, the third of four children born to William and Mary Caroline (Carsley) Lacy, also natives of Kentucky. The father died in his native State in the early part of 1858, and the mother afterward married and moved to Brenham, Texas, and in 1874 to Dallas. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy bad four children:
1. Fannie Lacy, now Mrs. B. P. Wallace, of Dallas
2. Minnie A. Lacy, the wife of Tom Morris, of this city
3. N. J. Lacy.
4. Mattie H. Lacy, now Mrs. Credo, of Galveston, Texas.

     J. N. Lacy was reared in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, and educated at the schools of Ripley, Tennessee, after which he engaged in clerking. A few years later be began buying and selling real estate, and in 1874 he came to this county, where he engaged in the same business. Mr. Lacy is identified with the Democratic party, has witnessed the complete growth of the city of Dallas, and has taken an active interest in everything for the good of the city and county. He was married at Hot Springs, Arkansas, August 13, 1878, to Miss Rosa Moore, a native of Tennessee and a daugh-ter of J. W. and Agnes (Derring) Moore, natives of North Carolina. The parents moved to Tennessee at an early day, and later to Hot Springs, where the father followed merchandising. The father died in that city. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy have had seven children, namely:
1. William N. Lacy
2. Harry T. Lacy
3. Ruby Lacy
4. Mary Helen Lacy
5. Jessie A. Lacy
6. John N. Lacy
7. Genevieve Lacy

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 407-408.
- o o o -


Back to Index
A. M. ELMORE, a prominent and highly respected physician and surgeon of Dallas, Texas, is a native of Perry county, Missouri, born August 20, 1837.
     His parents were James and Anna (Cosner) Elmore, natives, respectively, of South and North Carolina. In Missouri the father was a farmer and distiller, later a merchant. He came from Missouri to Grayson county, Texas, in 1852, and in this State engaged in milling and mercantile business, and also successfully carried on farming and stock operations. He was known far and wide as "Uncle Jimmie," and by all who knew him he was respected and admired for his many estimable qualities. He died in Pilot Point, Texas, in 1865, aged fifty-seven years. His worthy companion passed from earth's activities to her reward in 1869, at the age of fifty-six. Of their six children, the Doctor was the third-born. He received his literary education in public and private schools, also attending the Literary Institute at Clarksville, Texas. He then read medicine under the tutorship of Dr. J. P. Hutchinson at Pilot Point. He attended the McDowell College, St. Louis, Missouri, graduating in 1861.
     Returning from college, Dr. Elmore opened an office in Cooke county, near the present site of Marysville, and practiced there one year. Then, in 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Texas Cavalry, under Colonel Charles DeMorse, and was with the forces that operated in Indian Territory and Arkansas. Until the battle of Elk Creek he was a private. At that time he was transferred to general-hospital service, and later was promoted to assistant surgeon, under Dr. Crowdus, in the First Choctaw and Chickasaw Regiment, remaining thus engaged until the war closed.
     After the war he came back to Texas and located at Pilot Point, where he engaged in the practice of medicine and sale of. drugs. In 1887 he came from there to Dallas, and has since been engaged in practice here. The Doctor is a writer of some distinction. He is also engaged as business manager of The Texas Health-Journal. This journal is a handsome and well written monthly magazine, devoted to preventive and State medicine, the creation of a State Board of Health, and the exposure of medical frauds, secret remedies and quacks. Following are the names of its officers:
J. R. Briggs, M. D., managing editor;
J. C. Rucker, M. D.
T. P. Pipkin, M. D., associate editors; A. M. Elmore, M. D., business manager
Hon. Dudley G. Wooten, attorney for the company.

     Dr. Elmore was married in 1862 at Pilot Point, Texas, to Miss Frances Dirickson, daughter of Isaac and Harriet Dirickson, of Pilot Point, she and her parents being natives of Kentucky. The Doctor and his wife had eight children:
A. E. Elmore, a clerk in the general freight office of the Texas & Pacific Railroad
B. Kate Elmore, a music teacher in Indian Territory; Ida, wife of John T. Alexander, Ardmore, Indian Territory
C. Janies Elmore, a clerk in the office with his brother
D. E. Elmore; Helen
E. Clarence Elmore
F. two that died in early childhood.

     Mrs. Elmore died in December, 1884, She was a devoted Christian woman and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. February 14, 1886, the Doctor married Mrs. Mattie Clouse, widow of Henry Clouse, of Pilot Point. She is a daughter of Alphonso Wilson, of Shawneetown, Missouri, and she and her first husband were natives of Missouri. She has four children:
Effie Elmore, wife of W. H. Vaughn, of St. Louis, Missouri
Emma Elmore
Grace Elmore
Alphonso Elmore

     Her father died in January, 1891, aged seventy-two years, and her mother in May, 1891, at about the same age.
     Dr. Elmore is a physician of ability and a man of integrity, and for his many estimable qualities he is held in high esteem by all who know hirn. He is a Mason of high degree, a member of the Knights of Honor and Knights and Ladies of Honor, and is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Democrat and takes an interest in political matters; has served as a member of the central committee, and as chairman of the county committee in Denton county, Texas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 408-409.
- o o o -


Back to Index
COLONEL D. A. WILLIAMS, attorney of Dallas county, Texas was born in Prince Edward county, Virginia, October 19, 1832.
   His parents were Royal and Delilah (Gaulden) Williams, both natives of Virginia, the father being a planter, raising tobacco. He moved to Livingston county, Missouri, and later two Mercer county, where he followed farming and was also engaged in merchandising. He was one of the prominent men of Missouri of his day. He was held in high esteem for his strict integrity and sterling qualities of head and heart. With the Masonic fraternity he was prominently identified. He served as Worshipful Master of his lodge. He owned many slaves, and it is a fact worthy of note that while he lived on the border of a free State and often took his slaves with him into Iowa, to assist in driving stock, etc., none of them ever showed the least disposition to leave their master, but always seemed happy and contented. He died in 1865, at about the age of seventy. His wife died in December, 1889, at the home of one of her married daughters in California, she also being seventy at the time of her death. There were seven in her family, Colonel D.A. Williams being the fifth born, and six are still living, the sisters all in California.
     In 1861, D. A. Williams enlisted with his brother, William Monroe, in Company G, Gates' regiment a company he had raised himself of which he war, First Lieutenant. He and his brother remained together till 1863, when the latter was killed while on a raid through Missouri, aged nineteen years. After they bad served Dine months D. A. was made Captain and William M., First Lieutenant. Later, D.A. Williams raised a regiment, organized the companies, and was elected Colonel, which position he held during the remainder of the war. For some time previous to the organization of this regiment he commanded the advance guard of the Missouri Cavalry, tinder J. 0. Shelby. He was in all the principal engagements west of the Mississippi river: Lexington, Elk Horn, Prairie Grove, Jenkins' Ferry, Prairie de Ann and all the engagements against General Steele, ever acting the part of a brave soldier, and officer. At the battle of Mark's Mill, he had two horses killed under him.
     After the close of the war Colonel Williams went with a number of prominent officers and 400 or 500 private soldiers to Mexico, going through in battle line to the city of Monterey. After remaining there three months, the Colonel returned to the United States and joined his family (wife and three children) in Illinois, from whence he went to Arkansas and located in Chico county. There be was engaged in cotton planting one year. From there he went to Jefferson county, that State, and continued the same business three years; thence to Desha county, near the month of the Arkansas river, where he bought a cotton plantation and also conducted a mercantile business, remaining there till 1876. That year he met with misfortune, caused by the overflow of the river, and moved to Texas. Here, he located in Dallas, and has since been actively engaged in the practice of law. He was elected County Attorney in 1888, reelected in 1890, and is now closing his second term in a most satisfactory manner. His office is in the new courthouse, one of the finest buildings in the State. The Colonel is well known as a good citizen and an efficient officer, and his duties and able services are a part of the county's history.
He was married February 24, 1859, to Louisa Wynn, a member of a prominent Virginia family residing in Tazewell county. By her he had four children:
1. Samuel Williams, of Bonham, Texas, married Josie Williams, by whom he has two children, Harry Williams and Lucile Williams, and at this writing is employed as a commercial traveler
2. Edward G. Williams, of Dallas, is his father's assistant in the practice of law
3. Mary Williams is the wife of Joseph Scott, a produce dealer, Gallatin, Missouri
4. William M. Williams, who died in infancy.

     The mother died of cholera, near Pine Bluff, Arkansas, in 1866, her youngest child dying of the same disease a few days later. Her death occurred when she was thirty years of age. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and was a most devoted Christian woman. On both sides her ancestry represented people of excellent character, high social influence and great personal worth. In her the truest and purest type of the affectionate daughter, the loving wife and the fond mother were united. Her memory is sanctified by a love as tender as it was sweet.
     Colonel Williams is a member of the Elks and has been associated with the Masons and Odd Fellows.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 409-410.
- o o o -


   (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)