Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Back to Main Page
(Updated December 29, 2000)

 

 

(Submitted by Dorman Holub)

Back to Index
ALLANSON DAWDY, one of the first settlers of Dallas County, Texas, is a son of Allanson and Nancy (Garrison) Dawdy. His father was born in Tennessee, July 12, 1786. From there, in 1815, he removed to Illinois, where he remained till death.

     He was an active member of the Baptist church, and a man of strict integrity and good habits.  His marriage to Nancy Garrison occurred 12 May 1805. To them were born 12 children, as follows:

1. James, born 12 August 1807, died 1867
2. Sarah, April 25, 1809, now deceased
3. Elizabeth, 11 June 1811, a resident of Illinois
4. Howell, 13 January 1813, is deceased
5. Matthew, 23 November 1815
6. George W. 23 March 1819, deceased
7. Daniel, 23 November 1870
8. Rachel, 27 February 1822
9. Nancy, 8 September 1824, deceased
10. Allanson, the subject of this sketch
11. Jesse, 8 April 1828
12. William C. 28 June 1831

     Allanson Dawdy, whose name heads this article, was born 15 December 1826. He remained with his parents until 1846, when he enlisted in the Mexican war and served one year; was in the engagement at Buena Vista, under Colonel Hardin. Returning from the war, he located in Dallas county, Texas. On the Trinity river he ran a ferry, known as Dawdy's Ferry. This he continued until 1881. In the mean time he purchased the farm where he now lives. During the civil war he enlisted, in Darnell's regiment, under Captain Perry; was in a number of skirmishes, and was First Lieutenant.  At the time of Lee's surrender he was at Tyler, Texas.

     In 1848, Mr. Dawdy was married to Rebecca Shelton, daughter of William and Elizabeth Shelton, natives of Virginia. For his second wife he married Miss Mary Kinney, and for his present, Mary Batchelor, a native of Missouri.

Mr. Dawdy has had 8 children:
1. Samuel W., a farmer of Dallas County, Texas
2. Allanson, Jr., a farmer of Hamilton county
3. Jane, wife of R. Keithley
4. William, a farmer of Dallas county
5. John Jessie
6. Olie
7. Byron
8. Ross
(the last four all being of the home).

     Politically, Mr. Dawdy is a Democrat. He is a member of the Masonic order and has been an active member of the Christian church for several years, and was at one time a deacon of the church.

     Such is a brief sketch of one of the pioneer settlers and substantial farmers of Dallas county.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 639.
- o o o -


Back to Index
AMON McCOMMAS -- Among the early settlers of Dallas county, Texas, few there are who have resided here as long as the above named gentleman. He came to this county with his father, Amon McCommas, Sr., in December, 1844, and settled five miles northeast of where the city of Dallas now stands. At that time, Dallas contained only five or six families, settled along the banks of the river. His father was a prosperous and wealthy farmer of Missouri, and moved from that State to this, coming through with ox teams and bringing with him a number of horses, cattle and sheep. They made the journey through the Indian Nation, and on their arrival here, the senior Mr. McCommas purchased a headright, and during the rest of his life, made his home on it, engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was prominent in the early history of this county, always exerting his influence for the good of the community in which he resided. He was chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, and was also chairman of the meeting that was held to organize Dallas county in 1845. While a resident of Missouri, he served as Justice of the Peace in Wright county. He was born in Tennessee, and had lived in several States before coming to Texas. He was one of the first Christian ministers in this part of the State, and was for thirty-four years actively engaged in the ministry. His death occurred here in 1877, in the seventy-third year of his age. He was married in 1826, to Mary Brumphield, daughter of James Brumphield. They reared a family of nine children: James B., deceased; Stephen B., also deceased; John and Elisha, residents of Dallas county; Amon, the subject of this sketch; Rosana, who became the wife of Jesse Cox, is deceased; William M., deceased; Mary E., wife of Dr. W. P. Stone, is deceased; Armilda, wife of B. F. Fleeman, of this State. Mrs. McCommas died in 1877, at the age of seventy-three years.
     Amon McCommas was born in Illinois, May 12, 1832, and was educated in the common schools of Missouri and Texas. At the age of twenty-one, he began life for himself, and that year, 1853, went overland to California, remaining there until 1869. During his sojourn in the Golden State, he was engaged in mining and teaming, and had his ups and downs like others there. He made the return trip by rail. After coming back to Texas, he farmed one year. In 1871, he engaged in the mercantile business at Scyene, where he now lives. He was Postmaster of this place from 1871 to 1889, with the exception of twelve or sixteen months during the early part of the '80s. He was engaged in merchandising for eight years, being in partnership with his father. After the death of his father, he turned his attention to farming, in which he is still engaged. For several years past, he has devoted considerable attention to the breeding of fine horses, having the Royal English turf blood. A fine horse owned by him and known as Lonnie B., won second money at the great Texas Derby during the fall of 1890.
     Mr. McCommas was married in 1870 to Miss Nancy C. Seals, daughter of Wilson and Mahalia (Mills) Seals, natives of Tennessee. They came to this State in 1865. Mr. and Mrs. McCommas are the parents of eight children, six of whom are living: Edwin F., Otto, Berdie, Bonner, Viola and Amon, Jr.
     Mr. and Mrs. McCommas are members of the Christian Church.  He is a member of Scyene Lodge, No. 295, A. F. & A. M., having served as Treasurer of the lodge for thirteen consecutive years.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 960-961.
- o o o -


Back to Index
CAPTAIN WILLIAM HUGHES LEMMON, of the real estate firm of Bowser & Lemmon, Dallas, Texas, was born February 25, 1840, in Polk county, Missouri, near the present town of Morrisville. His parents, William H. Sr., and Nancy Amanda (Hughes) Lemmon, natives respectively of Green county, Kentucky, and Williamson County, TN, were married near Paris, in the latter State, August 17, 1837. In the autumn of 1839 they emigrated to Missouri, the eldest child, A. C. Lemmon, being then about 18 months of age, and settled on Sac River in Polk County, where he improved a valuable farm, which was occupied as the family homestead until 1872.  The father was a practical farmer and stock grower, and somewhat prominent in local politics, and served as County Judge of his county from 1856-1860, elected by the Democracy, of which party he was always a strong adherent. He died at Springfield, Missouri, August 31, 1862, the result of exposure while confined as a citizen prisoner for sympathy with the South.  The mother still survives and resides with her son, Captain Lemmon; she is now in her 75th year.  The subject of this sketch was reared to farm life, and educated in the schools of Polk county and Carleton's College of Springfield, Missouri, of which the Rev. Charles Carleton, now president of Carleton's College at Bonham, Texas, was president.

     Captain Lemmon commenced life as a teacher in the public schools of southwest Missouri in 1858. In the spring of 1861 he assisted in organizing the first company organized in his county for the Southern army, and was elected its First Lieutenant, Captain Frank Mitchell being in command.  The late Colonel Charles H. Nichols, of Dallas, was subsequently Captain of said company. It was known as Company C, of Colonel J. J. Clarkson's Fifth Regiment Missouri State Guards, of which the Captain's brother, A. C. Lemmon, was Major; Colonel M. W. Buster, of Weatherford, Texas, was Adjutant; the late Colonel John M. Stemmons, of Dallas Commissary of Subsistence; and their fellow townsman, Colonel W. L. Williams, was a Lieutenant. In the winter of 1861-62 he was elected First Lieutenant of Capatin A. C. Lemmon's company, D, Fifth Missouri Confederates Infantry.  He was with General Price at the battles of Wilson's Creek, Dry Wood, Lexington, Elkhorn and Farmington, and the evacuation of Corinth, Mississippi; and later on he organized and was elected Captain of Company A, Jackman's cavalry regiment, and was with it in all of its many engagements till the close of the war, when he located in Dallas county, Texas, and again engaged in teaching, chiefly in Dallas and Tarrant counties.

     He traveled for the agricultural implement house of D. M. Osborne & Co., for several years, until in 1876, when he formed a co-partnership with O. P. Bowser in the hardware and agricultural implement business in the city of Dallas, which business they continued until 1887.  In that year, they invested largely in Dallas city and farm property, giving special attention to Bowser & Lemmon's North Dallas and Oak Lawn addition to the city of Dallas, which at present constitutes a large portion of the present limits of the Eighth Ward of the city. Captain Lemmon's beautiful suburban home, "Elmwood," located on the line of the North Dallas Electric Railway, at the corner of Cole and Lemmon avenues, on which he has devoted much labor and expense to add to its comfort and attraction, is one of the finest in the city.  He is largely interested in the North Dallas Improvement Company and the Dallas Guarantee and Investment Company property, of 1,500 acres, adjoining the city.  Captain Lemmon has for years been one of the leading, enterprising men of Dallas, and has always been promptly at the front to assit every laudable improvement or enterprise for the advancement of Dallas.  He has an abiding faith in her future, and believes that she will yet be a great commercial center, and eventually the chief city of the great Southwest; hence, he has always contributed liberally of his time and money to advance her interests.

     Captain Lemmon was married on the 27th day of February, 1867, in Dallas County, to Miss Mattie A. Knight, second daughter of O. W. and Serena (Hughes) Knight, both natives of Tennessee, where the parents were married, removing to Texas in 1844, and settled on what has ever since been known as the Knight farm, near Cedar Springs, and but a few miles from Dallas.  The father resided there until his death, which occurred in 1868. He was an honorable Christian gentleman, and highly respected and beloved for his many noble and generous traits of character.

     Hon. G. M. Epps G., Robert E. L. and A. J. Knight of Dallas, William H. Knight of Hillsboro, Texas, are brothers of Mrs. Lemmon; while Judge Burford, Dr. A. M. Cochran, John Field, of Dallas, Ben Cannon, of Arlington, Texas, and Captain J. J. Mallard, of Rusk, each married sisters of hers.  Her mother, Mrs. Knight, lives with the family of Captain Lemmon.  In 1882, the subject of this notice was called upon to mourn the death of his beloved wife after a short illness.  Six children, the fruit of this union, are living:

1. Nannie Laura (Mrs. Williamson)
2. Rena Amanda
3. Mary Kate
4. William C., Jr.
5. Mittie Lee
6. Eppie Knight

and grandchild, Mattie Lemmon, with his mother and mother-in-law, Williamson, constitute his family.  His only sister, Nancy Jane Lemmon, died in Missouri of typhoid fever, July, 1860. Captain Lemmon is an Elder and an active worker of the First Christian Church of Dallas, with which congregation he has for years been connected.  Politically, he has always been actively identified with the Democratic party, having frequently attended as a delegate its State, district, county and city conventions, and has served as chairman of the Democratic executive committee of the city of Dallas through some exciting campaigns.  He is a member of James A. Smith Lodge A. F. & A. M., and also a member of the Knights of Honor.  Captain Lemmon is one of the enterprising and public spirited citizens of Dallas, and is keenly alive to her best interests.  He is a worthy and intelligent citizen, such as gives character to a community.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 768-770.
- o o o -


 

Back to Index
WILLIAM J. LITTLE, a farmer of Dallas County, was born in Shelby county, Illinois, October 25, 1834, a son of John Little, also a native of Illinois.  The latter moved to Texas in 1835, landing in Montgomery county, but took a claim of 4,444 acres in Dallas county, and died on his way from Anderson county to this large tract of land.  The farm was sold to the administrator, and the children received but a small portion of this large body of fine land. Mr. Little died in July, 1854, and his wife, nee Bettie Bateman, born July 6, 1807, died at the age of 50 years.  They were the parents of 10 children, namely:

1. Pressie A., wife of J. M. Spillers
2. Pollie, now Mrs. S. B. Owens
3. Abral
4. Elizabeth J., wife of William Grove
5. William J.
6. John M.
7. Nancy, wife of William Bryant
8. Riley T., who was killed in the war
9. Bertha M., wife of Bishop Compton
10. Sarah C., wife of Ed Herring.

     William J., after the death of his father, brought the children to Dallas county, where he took care of them until their marriage.  After his marriage, Mr. Little pre-empted 160 acres of land, which he improved, but after five years sold this place and moved to where he now lives. He saved 197 acres out of his father's large tract, to which he afterward added 160 acres more, and he now has 700 acres of well improved land.  He also followed stock-raising, but of late years, has abandoned that occupation, and his entire farm is now managed by his son. Mr. Little was married October 14, 1855, to Miss Rose Amos, who was born June 6, 1842, in Virginia.  Her father, Joseph Amos, moved from Virginia to Texas in 1850, and died in Parker County, at the age of 70 years.  His wife, nee Sophia Davis, died at the age of 40 years.  Mr. and Mrs. Amos had 10 children:

1. Thomas J., deceased
2. Elizabeth, who died when young
3. Martha, who died in infancy
4. Mary, wife of John Curtis
5. Curtis
6. Rosana, now Mrs. William J. Little
7. Sarah, wife of James Milton
8. Jane
9. Eliza, wife of William Wheeler

10. Nancy, wife of William Brown

Mr. and Mr. Little are the parents of seven children:

1. Martha, wife of John Bolding
2. Riley T.
3. Mary, wife of Wilbor Williams
4. Rosa, wife of Fletcher Warren
5. Lillie, now Mrs. Perish Horn
6. Lula
7. Minnie

Mrs. Little is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 937.
- o o o -


Back to Index
JAMES HORTON, deceased, was one of the prominent pioneers of Dallas county, Texas. He was a native of Virginia, and a son of Enoch Horton. In 1845, he came to Dallas county and settled on a tract of 320 acres of wild land, which has since been known as the James Horton headright. He at once began the work of improving it, and making a home. From time to time, he acquired other property, and at his death, was the owner of an estate consisting of 4,000 acres of land.
    Mr. Horton was married in 1851 to Miss Jane Phillips, a daughter of Nimrod Phillips, and after his marriage, settled on the homestead, where he followed farming. Previous to his marriage, he made the overland journey to California, going on horseback in 1849. He was successfully engaged in mining there for a time, returning to Texas in 1851. Until 1857, he followed farming exclusively. At that time, he built the Eagle Ford gristmill, in which he was interested the rest of his life. He and his wife were the parents of eight children, three of whom are still living: James, Nuck, and Fanny, wife of R. M. Scripture, of this county. He was bereaved by the loss of his wife in 1869. Subsequently, he was united in marriage with Mrs. King, whose maiden name was Morton. By her, he had two children, and of these, one (Frank) is still living. Mr. Horton departed this life in 1875.
    James Horton, son of the above named gentleman, was born in Dallas county, Texas, August 13, 1856. He was reared on his father's farm, remaining on the old homestead until his marriage, which event occurred in 1879, the lady of his choice being Miss Laura Carter. She is a native of Texas, and a daughter of Milton and Sarah (Davis) Carter, who were among the pioneers of Dallas county. After his marriage, Mr. Horton settled on his present farm, which comprises 250 acres. Besides this, he has other property, having a landed estate consisting of 800 acres. His postoffice address is Eagle Ford.
    Mr. and Mrs. Horton are the parents of seven children, namely: Nuckie, Willis (deceased), Ridge, C. B. James, Grant and Lizzie. Mrs. Horton is a member of the Baptist Church. Politically, Mr. Horton affiliates with the Democratic party.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 947.
- o o o -


Back to Index
ENOCH HORTON, deceased, was born in Russell county, Virginia, March 22, 1777, a son of John Horton, a native of Ireland. When a young man, the latter came with his father's family, which included the father, mother, three sons and two daughters, to Virginia, first settling in the eastern part of the State, and later removed to Russell county. John Horton was married in that State to Isabelle Kendrick, a native of England, and they reared a family of four sons and five daughters, of whom our subject was the third son. The parents passed their days in Russell county, the father dying at the age of sixty years, and the mother lived to an advanced age.
    Enoch, our subject, was reared to farm life, and received but five days' schooling, but by his own exertions, he has attained a good education. After his marriage, he settled on a farm which his father had taken up under the squatter's sovereignty act, where he followed farming until he came to the frontier of civilization in Dallas county, Texas. In the spring of 1845, the family emigrated with horse teams to Springfield, Missouri, but the same year, came to Dallas county, first locating near Eagle Ford, Precinct No. 7, where they were both deceased.
    Mr. Horton was married in Russell county, Virginia, March 22, 1797, to Miss Martha Stinson, a native of that county, and daughter of John and Jane (Stewart) Stinson, natives of Virginia and of English ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Horton were the parents of nine children who lived to be grown, and all but one came to Texas, namely: Mary, deceased, was the wife of Martin Thompson; Jane, deceased, was the wife of William Bradshaw; John died in Texas; James also died in this State; Sarah, now Mrs. Cockrell, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume; Enoch, who died in Dallas county; Robert, deceased in California; Martha, deceased, was the wife of William Horton; Rachel, deceased, was the wife of Joseph Read. Mr. and Mrs. Horton were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The father's death occurred March 21, 1851, and was buried on the same day of the month of his birth and marriage. His estimable wife departed this life April 7, 1850.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 996.
- o o o -


Back to Index
D. A. LACY, a farmer and stock-raiser, postoffice Eagle Ford, Dallas county, Texas, has been a resident of this county since 1850.  Briefly sketched, an outline of his life is as follows:
    Mr. Lacy was born in Carter county, East Tennessee, November 1, 1830.  His father, P. Lacy, was a native of that State and a son of James Lacy, who was reared in East Tennessee, and who was a descendant of English ancestry that settled there at an early day.
     Mr. Lacy's father was reared on a farm, and was subsequently engaged in the manufacture of iron.  At the age of twenty-four years, he was married to Miss Sarah Inman, also a native of East Tennessee, daughter of John Inman, who was of Irish descent, and who lived and died in Tennessee.  After his marriage, he removed to Giles county, Tennessee, and during the war of 1812, served under the celebrated General Jackson, to whom he became very much attached.  Some time later, he moved to Walker county, Georgia, where he remained eight years, at the end of that time returning to Giles county, Tennessee. In 1849, with his wife and three children, he started for what was then the frontier of civilization.  They were detained at Memphis on account of high waters, and were obliged to remain there through the winter, and until about the first of May. While at Memphis, their oldest son, Alexander, died of cholera, aged twenty-eight years.  In May, they hired a boat to take them to Duval's Bluff, where they sold their horses and bought ox teams, continuing their journey to Texas, and enduring almost every hardship and privation imaginable.  They arrived here in October, 1850, and the father pre-empted 320 acres of wild land, which they set about improving, and here established their frontier home.  The old gentleman resided on this place the rest of his days. He lived to the advanced age of ninety-two years and died in 1887.  His wife preceded him to the other world, dying in 1871, aged seventy years. Both were active and earnest Christians, and were consistent members of the Baptist Church for many years.
    As will be noticed, D. A. Lacy was twenty when he arrived in Texas with his parents. July 17, 1856, he was married to Pallina Cockrell, daughter of Wesley Cockrell, who came here from Missouri, in 1846.  In connection with his farming pursuits, Mr. Lacy also engaged in teaming, hauling goods from Houston to Dallas; also from Shreveport to Dallas, for many years.  His union with Miss Cockrell was blessed with nine children, all now living, namely: Avrey, wife of James Wright, Dallas county; Albert, also of this county; James, Los Angeles, California; Adaline, wife of W. Gray, Howard county, Texas; Philemon, Los Angeles; Sarah, wife of Jefferson Wright, Dallas county; Allice May, Leona and Carl. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Lacy was again married, July 17, 1884, to Mrs. Rebecca Girard, a native of Cherokee county, Texas, daughter of Robert Retherford, who came to Texas at an early date. The result of this union is three children: Daisy, who died in 1889, aged four years, and Lillian and Hettie Florence.
    Mr. Lacy is a Democrat of the old Jacksonian type. During the late war, he served four years as teamster in the Confederate service. He still resides on the farm which his father pre-empted, and with him lives his brother, Abraham T.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 667-668.
- o o o -


 

Back to Index
EVAN W. BOLTON settled in the northeastern part of Dallas county 33 years ago, and hence is to be classed with the pioneers of this county.
     Mr. Bolton was born in Humphreys county, Tennessee, March 8, 1833, son of William and Jane (Cooly) Bolton, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of North Carolina. His father was Captain of a company in the war of 1812.  He was twice married, by the first union having four children and by the second five. The children by his first wife are:
1. William T., deceased
2. James, deceased
3. Abigail, who became the wife of C. K. Weaver
4. Nancy, deceased

The names of the other children are:
1. Benjamin W., deceased
2. Evan W.
3. Henry
4. Elizabeth, wife of Joe Scales
5. Charles M., deceased.

     The father died in 1840, and the mother of our subject, departed this life in 1850, aged 45 years.  Evan remained with his mother, making the support of her family until the time of her death, when the children found homes with their relatives.
    Mr. Bolton was united in marriage with Francis J. Parker, March 11, 1856.  Her birth occurred on the 11th of August, 1837.  The year following her marriage they came to Dallas county, Texas, and settled where the family now resides.  Mr. Bolton purchased 100 acres of land, which he has improved and on which he has a nice little home.  Twelve children have been born to them, all now living except one.  Their names are as follows:
1. Permelia A., wife of J. G. Drake
2. James W.
3. William H.
4. Amanda J., wife of A. J. Berriman
5. Malana T., wife of C. J. Mayers
6. Mary L., wife of James A. Wilson
7. Sarah E., wife of J. G. Hutson
8. Hattie B., wife of J. H. Hutson
9. Lucy A.
10. Margaret P.
11. Benjamin L.

     During the late war, Mr. Bolton served in the army, under B. Warren Stone.  When the war was over, he returned home and again took up his agricultural pursuits, which occupation has since claimed his attention.  He served as Constable of his township three years, and as School Director, 21 years.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 609-610.
- o o o -


Back to Index
GEORGE W. JAMES was born in Jasper county, Missouri, September 24, 1846.  His parents, Hannibal and Charlotte P. (Bradfield) James, were born in Loudoun county, Virginia, the former on the 20th of March, 1810, and the latter, on the 22d of June, 1815.      They were married in 1841, and that same year, moved to Jasper county, Missouri, where they made their home for 23 years, after which they moved to Dallas county, Texas. Mr. James rented land in this country two years and then bought a farm near Garland.  They lived on it until 1889, when he and his wife, becoming advanced in years, they broke up housekeeping and went to live with their two sons, Joseph M. and George W., spending most of their time with George.  They lived happily together over 50 years and had the pleasure of celebrating their golden wedding. Mrs. James was called to the world beyond on the 1st of April, 1891, at the age of 75 years, nine months, and nine days. Eight children were born to them, all dying in infancy except three:
1. Jefferson T. died in the army in 1863, and only two are now living.
2. Joseph M.
3. George W.

     George W., the subject of this sketch, served eight months in the Southern army during the latter part of the war, being a member of Price's army in the Indian department. While he was not in any regular engagement, he took part in several skirmishes.
    December 29, 1870, Mr. James was united in marriage with Miss M. C. Jones.  She was born in McMinn county, Tennessee, December 23, 1851.  Her father, Robert D. Jones, was a native of Virginia, born April 9, 1812, and her mother, nee Martha E. King, was born in Virginia in 1820, their marriage occurring in 1840.  The mother departed this life in 1881. Following are the names of their children:
1. James W.
2. Ellen M., wife of B. F. McDaniel
3. John T.
4. Joseph A.
5. Mary E., wife of C. S. Newton
6. Horace K.
7. Martha C., wife of G. W. James
8. Lucinda, wife of S. F. Hustead
9. Amanda, wife of James T. Murrell
10. Robert H.
11. George W., who died at the age of 16 years.

     After his marriage, Mr. James engaged in farming on his own account. He rented land for three years and then purchased a farm of 100 acres.  To this, he has since added 200 acres more, now owning 300 acres on Duck creek, located within half a mile of Garland.  Here, he has a fine residence and barn, and everything conveniently arranged for successfully carrying on farming operations, and the most of the improvements on this place, he has made himself.  He and his wife are the parents of two children:
1. Charlotte E., born in Dallas county, November 30, 1871
2. Horace H., born at the same place, September 23, 1875

     Although Mr. James was deprived of early educational advantages himself, he believes in giving his children a good schooling.  He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 610-611.
- o o o -


Back to Index
G. W. NEELLY, a farmer and stockraiser and prominent citizen of Dallas county, Texas, has resided here since 1865.
    Mr. Neelly was born in Polk county, Missouri, August 18, 1840, son of Pallas and Lucinda (Hopkins) Neelly, natives of Maury, county, Tennessee.  His father was a son of George Neelly, a native of South Carolina, and his great-grandfather Neelly, was born in Scotland, came to America before the Revolution, and fought as a soldier in that war.  George Neelly was drowned on the Mississippi river when his son, Pallas, was six years old, and the latter was reared in Arkansas by Simon Trent, an old friend of the family.  The mother of our subject is a daughter of James Hopkins, and is of English descent.  She and Mr. Neelly went to Missouri, where they became acquainted and were married.  He engaged in farming in that State until the troubled times of the Civil War. Six children were born to them, of which three survive:
1. James H. died in 1857, at the age of 14
2. John W., a member of Company G, Tenth Missouri Infantry, died in prison at Alton, during the war, aged 19
3. Thomas S. was killed during a skirmish near Bentonville, at the age of 16 years

     Mr. Neelly and his three sons were in service, and, during their absence, owing to the condition of affairs in Missouri, Miss Neelly loaded her household goods into the wagon with her two little girls, aged 12 and 14, and came to Dallas county, Texas.  They were eight weeks in making the journey and encountered many obstacles on the way, their oxen dying.  After the war, she was joined by her husband, and they made their home where Oak Cliff is now located.  There Mr. Neelly died, on the 5th of February, 1877.  Mrs. Neelly is still living, in this county.  She has reached the advanced age of 83 years, and retains her physical and mental vigor to a remarkable degree.  He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, to which she also belongs.
    Their son, G. W., was reared on the farm and was at home when the war broke out.  He enlisted under General Price, came South and was assigned to Company C, Tenth Missouri Cavalry, and was commissioned as Second Lieutenant.  At Humansville, Missouri, he was wounded in the right shoulder, which disabled him from active service for a year, and from the effects of which, he was never fully recovered.  He served till the close of the war and was discharged at Shreveport, June 8, 1865, after which he joined the family in Texas, walking from Shreveport to Dallas.  For two years he engaged in teaching school.  Then, he purchased a team and utensils, and devoted his attention to the agricultural pursuits on his present farm.
    December 21, 1871, he married Miss Eliva J. Hight, a native of Texas, and a daughter of Robert A. and Martha A. (Jordan) Hight, who came from Tennessee to Texas in 1860.  His wife died on the 6th of August 1878, and on December 28, 1881, Mr. Neelly wedded her sister, Miss Louisa P. Hight.  He has three children by his first marriage, and four by the latter, viz:
1. Martha L., wife of James Barker, Dallas county
2. Mollie E.
3. Addie E. A.
4. George W., Jr.
5. Fanny P.
6. Eula Lee
7. Laura A.

     In 1872, he purchased his farm of 110 acres, which he has improved, and, on which, he has since resided.  He now owns 226 acres of land, and is engaged in general farming.  He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Oak Cliff Lodge, No. 705, and Dallas Chapter, No. 47; has passed all the chairs of the blue lodge, served one year as Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge, and two years as District Deputy Grand-master.  His political views are in harmony with Democratic principles.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 608-609.
- o o o -


Back to Index
CHARLES B. GILLESPIE, who for many years was connected with the political history of Dallas County. He was born in the State of Arkansas, in December 1854, and is a son of Constantine C. Gillespie, a native of Alabama. The mother's maiden name was Haynes, and she was from Tennessee. They emigrated to Arkansas early in the 1840s, where the father practiced medicine until his removal to Dallas in 1867, and lived there until his death in 1887. He was a man of rare intelligence and fine mental attainments, honored and respected by all who knew him. Charles B. attended the common schools, where his advantages were very limited; by close application, however, he acquired a fund of information that enabled him to take a position in the office of the County Treasurer in September, 1875. He remained there one year under M. V. Cole, winning a reputation for promptness and fidelity to duty that he has retained through a long official career. In September, 1876, he was made Deputy Tax Collector, and was three times re-elected, serving in all eight years. He was a courteous and obliging officer, and reflected great credit upon his constituency. In addition to the duties of this office he had collected data upon the natural resources of Dallas county, which are of unquestionable reliability.

     Upon retiring from the office of Tax Collector, Mr. Gillespie formed a partnership with Mr. Cullum in the real estate business; into this enterprise he has carried the same methodical habits which characterized the work in the Collector's office, and has the most accurate and carefully prepared maps of Dallas county that have yet been made.

     In 1882, Gillespie was married to Miss Emma Cullum, a native of Tennessee, but since here childhood a resident of Texas. Two daughters and a son have been born to them. Mr. Gillespie is a member of the Knights of Pythias, in which fraternity he has held numerous official positions. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, he is a stalwart Democrat. He is a man of the highest honor, and a citizen of whom Dallas County may well be proud.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 340.
- o o o -


 

Back to Index
JOHN HERMAN, one of the early settlers of Dallas County, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1836, a son of August and Elizabeth (Bauman) Herman, also natives of Baden. The mother died in her native country in 1848, and the father in 1850. John was left an orphan at the age of 12 or 14 years, and was educated in the schools of Germany, where he also served an apprenticeship of the blacksmith's trade. When 20 years of age, he left his native country, sailing from Havre, France, to New York, and was 35 days en route. He went directly to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he worked at his trade, and where, June 24, 1861, he enlisted in company G, Second Missouri Infantry, for three years. He was mustered into service at St. Louis, and was engaged in the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, Perryville, Kentucky, Stone River, Tennessee, Chickamauga, and Missionary Ridge. He then went to Dalton, Georgia, but afterward returned to St. Louis, where he was honorably discharged September 29, 1864. He engaged at his trade in that city, but subsequently went to Kansas City, thence to Parkville, Missouri, and next to Cherokee Nation. In the fall of 1872 he came to Lancaster, Dallas county, and in the spring of 1873 to Dallas city, where he worked at his trade. In 1874 he was in the employ of the stage company, and about 1876 he engaged at farm work; was next in the cities of Galveston, Houston and Austin, and in the latter city he was engaged in chopping wood, and later worked in a foundry. He saved $90 while in that city, with which he came to Dallas and erected a shop on Jackson and Lamar streets, and three years later he bought a lot on Commercial street. After another three years he sold this lot, and later bought another and erected his present shop. In 1888, Mr. Herman erected a two-story brick, 75 x 70 feet, which he rented, and he now has three good store buildings.

     Socially, he is a member of George H. Thomas Post, No. 6, G.A.R., and of Queen City Lodge, No. 941, K. of H. He takes an active interest in politics, voting with the Republican party, and is also interested in everything for the good of his city or county. In 1883, Mr. Herman made a trip to his old home in Baden, Germany, but returned to Dallas county after an absence of four months.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 342.
- o o o -


Back to Index
S. B. HOPKINS, a retired business man of Dallas, was born in Washington county, Virginia, in 1849, a son of Asa Hopkins, a merchant of his native State. In 1859 the family moved to Tennessee, where Mr. Hopkins graduated at Cumberland University, in the class of 1868. Unlike many graduates, he made excellent use of his opportunities, equipping himself well for the practical duties of life. He began business for himself as a merchant in Nashville, Tennessee. Throwing into his business all the vigor and shrewdness of his nature, he prospered and attained an enviable position in the business world. In 1883 he disposed of his interest in Nashville and came to Dallas, then a city on the threshold of its extraordinary growth. He immediately began his business career by organizing the Fourth National Bank of Dallas, with a capital of $200,000, since increased to $600,000, and became its cashier. As soon as the bank was placed on a firm basis, he withdrew from its management and became a member of the firm of Porter & Hopkins in wholesale dry goods, and continued in this relation until 1891, since which date he has been devoting his time to his more private interests. He is president of the Dallas Homestead Company, which has furnished many a family with homes who could not have obtained them otherwise. He is a large property holder, showing his faith in the future of the city by investing largely in real estate here. He owns an elegant residence on College street. He has also a ranch in Cook county, this state of 4,000 acres.

     In respect to fraternal relations, he has become of the more prominent Knights of Pythias in the State. He was unanimously chosen as Colonel of the Uniformed Regiment, No. 3, whose territory embraces northern Texas, including 11 division of about 50 Knights each, and are a body of men who represent the industry, wealth and culture of the new South. He also holds other official relations, as denoted by his card, thus:

"S. B. Hopkins, Dallas, Texas,
Sir Knight Cap. Division 18.
Past Chancellor Dallas No. 70.
President Endowment No. 830."

     In his view of national questions Mr. Hopkins is a Democrat, and in religion he inclines toward the Protestant Episcopal Church, in whose college his children are being educated.. He is a genial, social gentleman, and deservedly popular.

     He married a daughter of Judge Brien, a lady of culture, educated at the Mount Auburn Institute, near Cincinnati. She was an exemplary wife and fond mother until her death in 1889, when she left four children in this life.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 344.
- o o o -


Back to Index
P. W. TREES, a farmer of Dallas county, was born March 28, 1857, a son of the first couple ever married in this county. He has devoted his life to stock raising and farming, has always lived in this immediate vicinity, and by upright living has won the esteem of all who know him. He was married in December, 1878, to Miss Phoebe Walker, a native of Arkansas, and they were the parents of five children. He lost his wife by death, and in December, 1886, Mr. Trees married Miss Sophronia Anthony, also a native of Arkansas.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 344-345.
- o o o -


Back to Index
THEODORE MOSHER, one of the prominent business men of Dallas, is proprietor of the famous foundry and machine shops located at 315 South Lamar street. This establishment has a well-earned reputation throughout Texas, due to the efficient management of Mr. Mosher.

      Mosher was born at Mattawan, Dutchess county, New York, August 7, 1834. His parents, John and Eliza (Meek) Mosher, had a family of 11 children, of whom he is the oldest. His father was a native of New York, and a master mechanic. After a useful life his death occurred, in 1864, at the age of 65. Both were honored members of the Episcopal church. January 31, 1866, Theodore Mosher was united in marriage with Miss Jennie E. Hetherington. She was the second daughter in a family of five children born to Christopher and Mary (Stephens) Hetherington. Her father was a machinist by occupation, and was a native of England. In 1840, in company with his wife and family, he emigrated to America, landing in New York. There he engaged in business and passed an active and useful life. His death occurred January 1, 1891. His wife survived him only a short time, when she quietly passed away. The father was for many years a minister of the gospel and was noted for his many acts of charity. Only four of their children are now living.

     Mr. Mosher served an apprenticeship of five years in his father's machine shop, after which he accepted a position as locomotive engineer on the Cincinnati & Indianapolis railroad. This occupation he followed for nine consecutive years, during which time his labors extended over some of the principal railroads in the United States. Then, by virtue of his superior knowledge, he was made foreman of the large machine shops at Indianapolis, Indiana, where he remained eight years. In 1871, he moved his family to Peoria, Illinois, where he was appointed master mechanic of the Peoria & Rock Island railroad shops, located there. This important position he held for two years. We next find him engaged in business for himself. He opened up and operated a machine shop and his business soon grew to vast proportions under his careful management, and he was placed among the leading citizens of Peoria. Owing to his wife's declining health, he decided to seek a change of climate. Disposing of his interests in Peoria, he came to Dallas, Texas, and established his business here. He first located on the corner of Market street and Pacific avenue, but his quarters there became too small and he moved to the corner of Ross avenue and Carter street. Desiring still larger accommodations, he moved to his present location. Here he employs from 75-80 men, and his payroll amounts to over $36,000. Yet, this enterprise is still in its infancy.

     Mr. and Mrs. Mosher have been blessed with five children, viz.: Edward J., whose death occurred in October, 1890, at the age of 23; Gracie A., who is now the wife of T. J. Jones, resides in Dallas, and his one child, Gracie E.; Mamie E.; William S.; and Theodore J.

     Mr. Mosher is a member of Temple Lodge, A. F. & A. M., No. 46, of Peoria, Illinois. The family hold membership with the Congregational Church in Dallas. Ever since he took up is residence here Mr. Mosher has been identified with the best interests of this city, and nay movement that has for it object the promotion of good finds in him an earnest support.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 345.
- o o o -


Back to Index
S. NELSON, architect and building contractor, came to Dallas in June, 1873, engaging at once in his present business. Since then he has had as many as 25 buildings in progress at one time. Among the more prominent buildings he has erected are the North Texas National Bank, Philip Sanger's residence and the First Congregational Church. At present, he is working in Ennis, Texas, and building two or three business houses in Dallas. He manufactures all the sash, doors and blinds which he uses in his building. In this line, he has sufficient work to keep a small mill running.

     Mr. Nelson was born in Denmark, in 1844, the son of N. and Mary (Schon) Nelson, natives also of Denmark, who passed their lives there. He learned his trade at Copenhagen and came to America in 1867, settling in New York. Subsequently, he went to New Orleans, and in 1870 came to Galveston, and in 1873 to Dallas. Here he has been active in the upbuilding of the city, in which he has seen many and marked changes in its development. He materially aided in organizing the Builders' Exchange.

     Mr. Nelson married Fannie Cobitz, a native of Austria, and they have had two children, namely: Lewis, who is now learning the bricklayers' trade; and Charles, who is at Stanton, Virginia, attending college. In political matters, Mr. Nelson is a Democrat, but is not active in the councils of the party. He is a member of the First Congregational Church in Dallas, in which society he has held offices.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 342-343.
- o o o -


 

Back to Index
E. E. GUILLOT has been engaged in the real estate and brokerage business in the city of Dallas, Texas, since 1889, and although this is a comparatively short time, yet his knowledge of real estate is unsurpassed for accuracy and thoroughness, and investors can always rely on his sound judgment relative to the present and prospective values of the residential and business sections of Dallas. Prior to entering upon this calling he was in the carriage business with E. Guillot, on Sycamore Street, for some time, and for about six months thereafter was a member of the firm of Guillot & Orr. He was born in Dallas January 26, 1866, the second of three children born to Maxime and Mary (Mullen) Guillot, the former a native of France, and the latter of Ireland. Maxime Guillot came from his native land to New Orleans, and from there to Dallas about 1842 and opened a carriage factory, bringing his wood workmen, painters and carriage trimmers with him. During the Civil War he was detailed to the Government shops, in which he remained for four years of that struggle. His death occurred October 23, 1889, after having been a resident of Dallas for over 40 years. The mother still resides here.

     E. E. Guillot was brought up in the city of his birth, and was educated in the schools of Galveston, Texas, and the State University of Columbia, Missouri. After leaving school he first worked for a hardware firm as clerk, and later with the Wier Plow Company as shipping clerk, two years later becoming store salesman, and still later traveling salesman. After quitting this firm he was in the carriage business as above stated until embarking in his present calling, in which he has already built up a reputation sufficient to warrant the implicit confidence of those who whom business relations have been established. He takes some interest in politics, voting with the Democratic party, and socially is a member of the Amity Lodge, No. 108 of the K. of P. He was married in Woodstock, Illinois, July 23, 1890, to Miss Katie Leonard, a native of Mississippi, and a daughter of Martin and Catherine (Decker) Leonard, natives of Barden, Germany and Dublin, Ireland, mother and father respectively. They were early settlers of St. Louis, and in 1876 came to Dallas, where the father conducted a grain and brokerage business. He died in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1880, of yellow fever, the mother's demise occurring in Dallas in 1878, of typhoid fever. Mr. and Mrs. Guillot are members of the Roman Catholic Church, and their union has been blessed in the birth of one child, - Earle. Mr. Guillot is a shrewd man of business, has a comfortable and pleasant home in Dallas, and gives every promise of becoming wealthy.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 340-341.
- o o o -


Back to Index
H. HAMILTON, a dealer in paper, oil and paints at Elm, Dallas county, was born in Boyle County, Kentucky, in 1854, the second of eight children, born to H. and M.C. (Hughes) Hamilton, also natives of Kentucky. The father, a merchant by occupation, emigrated to Dallas city in 1879, where he engaged in business with his son, the subject of this notice.

     Mr. Hamilton, our subject, remained in Boyle county, Kentucky, until 18 years of age, after which he came to Dallas city and engaged in his present business. He has the oldest store in the city, and, with this and his outside work, gives employment to about 30 men. Mr. Hamilton takes an active interest in politics, voting with his second term as Alderman of the Third Ward, is chairman of the Water Committee, and a member of the School Board. He has seen the substantial growth and development of the city of Dallas from a population of 1,500 to about 50,000, and has always taken an active interest in everything, for the good of the city and county.

     He was married in this city, in 1879, to Miss Hattie Rice, a native of Dallas County, and a daughter of Dr. Anderson and Zeriah Rice, natives of Kentucky. The father was a prominent physician of Dallas in the early days, and his death occurred in this city many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have had four children - Claude, Charley, Graham and Henry.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 341-342.
- o o o -


Back to Index
DANIEL MORGAN, brick and stone contractor, Dallas, was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1839, the youngest of ten children of George and Annie (Tosch) Morgan, natives also of Scotland. His father, a stone mason, died in 1861, and his mother some years later. After learning his trade, in his native land, he left there, at the age of 19 years, and came on a steamer from Glasgow to New York, and worked in Brooklyn for some years. In 1861 he went to London, Canada, and worked at his trade there for a time; then returned to New York city, and afterward proceeded to Savannah and Atlanta, Georgia, and became a railroad contractor in that State and in Alabama; next he was in Kansas City a number of years. In the autumn of 1872 he came from Alabama to Dallas, and since then he has taken a great deal of responsible work, putting up many of the leading business houses - notably those of Badgett Bros., Thomas Bros. (50 x 200), on Camp and Griffin streets, the seven-story Scolland building on Main street, with granite front, the Merchants' Bank, S.K. Richardson's residence, the basement of the courthouse at McKinney, etc., besides some fine buildings in Austin. For about five years he was employed on the Denver & South Park railroad, on the Alpine tunnel route, doing all the bridge construction from 1877 to 1882. He is now preparing a stone yard, for the new general sawing and dressing of stone. He employs on an average 30-40 men. He is one of the oldest brick contractors of the city, and is just completing the stone work on the Dallas county courthouse.

     Mr. Morgan was married in Chambers county, Alabama, in 1866, to Miss Eliza Burney, a native of Georgia and a daughter of Dr. J.H. Burney, a descendant of early settlers of that State, where his death occurred. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan have had eight children, of whom six are now living, as follows: Annie, Mary, James, Lottis, Jessie and Lucille.

     Mr. Morgan has taken some interest in the public welfare, voting with the Democratic party. His first Presidential vote was cast for Seymour and Blair. As to the fraternities, he is a member of Dallas Lodge, No. 70, Knights of Pythias, and also of the Uniformed Rank, No. 18, Dallas Division. Mrs. Morgan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, p. 343.
- o o o -


 

Back to Index
S. A. ERWIN, retired attorney of Oak Cliff, has a pleasant and comfortable home at the corner of Tenth and Crawford streets. He has been a resident of the Lone Star State since 1848, his first residence within its borders being in Cherokee county. He was born in Bedford, now Marshall county, Tennessee, in 1820, the youngest of 11 children born to John R. and Hannah B. (Bishop) Erwin, natives of North Carolina, in which State they were married, emigrating soon after to Bedford county, Tennessee, where they settled on a farm. The father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, although very young, and was under the care of his father, who was an active participant in that struggle. Grandfather Bishop also was a Revolutionary soldier and was killed while in the service. J.R. Erwin remained in Bedford County, Tennessee, and there died on the farm on which he first settled on coming to the State December 23, 1859, at the age of 86 years. His wife was born in 1777 and died in Bedford County, Tennessee, in 1851, on the old home farm in Tennessee.

     S. A. Erwin was brought up on the farm. At the age of 17 years he left home to enter college at Jackson, Maury county, Tennessee, where he remained three years. After leaving college he commenced reading law in Murfreesboro, and in 1843, was admitted to the bar, after which he established himself at Lebanon, Tennessee. In 1846 he enlisted under Captain Milton A. Haines at Nashville, for the Mexican war, and his company became a part of the regiment commanded by Colonel Jonas E. Thomas. After one year's service his health failed, and after a short time spent in Mattamoras he returned to Tennessee, in 1847. He at once resumed the practice of law, but decided to make a change of location, and accordingly came to Rusk, Cherokee county, Texas, of which he was one of the pioneers. He was married here, April 27, 1848, to Elizabeth J. McKee, a native of Maury county, Tennessee, and a daughter of Thomas and Frances (Stone) McKee, the former a native of South Carolina and the latter of Virginia. Mr. McKee was taken to Tennessee in early boyhood, there grew up and married and followed the occupation of farming until his removal to Texas in 1846. Here he resided on a farm until his death, which occurred in the fall of 1865, his widow having died in 1863. After his marriage Mr. Erwin settled in Rusk, Texas, and there practiced law until 1856, when he abandoned his profession to engage in farming and stock-raising, dealing in fine stock, in Cherokee county. He, in time, became the owner of a large plantation and cultivated some 300 acres.
     In 1876 he moved to Limestone county, Tehuacana Hills, where Trinity University is located, for the purpose of educating his children, and while there three of his sons graduated from that institution, of which he was, for some time, a trustee.

His children are as follows:

1. William Scott is married and a farmer of Tehuacana Hills, Limestone county

2. Sarimella C. is the widow of F.W. Beaty and resides at Tehuacana Hills

3. Fannie also resides there and is the wife of John H. Forrest

4. Floretta E. resides at Oak Cliff, Dallas County, Texas, and is the wife of Dr. E. J. Hallum, a farmer of Anderson County, Texas

5. John T. resides at Tehuacana Hills, farming

6. Robert L. is married and resides in Dallas, being bookkeeper for the Dallas City National Exchange Bank

7. James P., who is a special agent for the Dallas Mortgage Company.

     Although formerly a Whig in politics Mr. Erwin is now an independent, refusing to wear the collar of the dominant party of his State. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., the I. O. O. F. and he and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and have been active in church work.
     During over 40 years' residence in Texas they have been seen many changes, and Mr. Erwin has aided largely in its progress and development.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 767-768.
- o o o -


Back to Index
Honorable WILLIAM LAFAYETTE THOMPSON, attorney, Dallas, Texas, - Louisiana has given to Dallas, Texas, many estimable citizens, but she has contributed none more highly respected, or, for the conscientious discharge of every duty in every relation of life, more worthy of respect and esteem, then the subject of William Lafayette Thompson. He was born in Greensburg, Louisiana,
October 1, 1838, and was sixth in order of birth of seven children born to Alexander and Dorothea Pryor (Womack) Thompson, natives respectively of Georgia and Louisiana. The parents were married in the last named State and there passed the remainder of their days, the mother dying about 1847 and the father in 1852. The latter was a planter by occupation and followed that successfully all his life.

     Honorable William L. Thompson was reared on the plantation and received his literary education at Florence, Alabama, graduating with the class of 1859. He subsequently entered the Law School at New Orleans, and graduated from that institution in 1861, after which, in the same year, he enlisted at New Orleans in Company G, Fourth Louisiana Infantry, as private for one year. He participated in the battle of Shiloh and after that engagement and reorganization of the regiment he joined the Point Coupee Battery, Company B, with which he remained until the close of service, participating in all the battles of north Mississippi, viz.: Corinth, Fort Pemberton, Baker's creek and Jackson. After the battle of Baker's creek he retreated with General Loring to Jackson, Mississippi, and was in the six or seven days' fight at that place. He was also in the battle at Baton Rouge. Mr. Thompson was sent on detached service to East Louisiana, and surrendered at Clinton, Louisiana, in 1865.

     He immediately returned to St. Helena parish and engaged in the practice of law. In 1868 he was elected to the State Senate under the reconstruction acts of Congress, represented five parishes and served four years. In 1874 he moved to Texas, located in San Antonio, and practiced his profession until elected to the Legislature from Bexar county. He was re-elected and at the expiration of his term was appointed by President Cleveland special inspector of customs. He located on the lower Rio Grande, served 12 months, and was then transferred to El Paso, Texas, his district extending over New Mexico and Arizona. He was sent with two special agents of the Treasury Department to the principal mining district of Old Mexico to investigate the Mexican ore question. Being relieved from the Federal service, he located in Dallas, Texas, and resumed the practice of law. There he resided ever since.

     Mr. Thompson was married in St. Helena parish, Louisiana, to Miss Neanie Andrews, August 15, 1865, a native of East Feliciana parish, Louisiana, and the daughter of Elisham and Eliza (Jackson) Andrews, the father a native of South Carolina, and the mother of Tennessee. Her grandfather, Thomas Jackson, was in the Revolutionary war with Marion. Mr. Andrews moved from South Carolina to Louisiana at an early day and became a very wealthy planter. He died in the latter State in 1863 and his wife survived him until 1873. Mr. Thompson lost his wife in San Antonio, Texas, in 1883. To them were born four children:

1. J. Wheat, married and resides at San Antonio, Texas, is now clerk in the United States army.

2. Batie, now Mrs. Charles J. Grant, of Dallas, Texas

3. Lettie E., wife of D. P. Wheat, an attorney of Beaumont, Texas

4. Herbert Andrews, who is 14 years old.

     Socially, Mr. Thompson is a Royal Arch Mason, is a life member of St. Helena Lodge, No. 96, St. Helena parish, Louisiana, and he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is an Adjutant of Sterling Price Camp, Confederate Veterans of Dallas, Texas, and is also Adjutant General of the United Confederate Veterans and Chief of Staff of Lieutenant General W. L. Cabell of the Trans-Mississippi Department, United Confederate Veterans.

- Memorial & Biographical History of
Dallas County, Texas, 1892, pp. 765-766.
- o o o -


   (Transcribed by Dorman Holub from John Henry Brown's Memorial & Biographical History of Dallas County, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago,, 1892, Permission to reproduce this transcription must be obtained from Dorman Holub)