Visitors at Baby Camp on
Here are a group of former
patients, parents, nurses, babies and friends of the institution
attending the eleventh annual homecoming at the Dallas Baby camp
Saturday. Miss May Smith, superintendent, occupies the center
of the group.
LOCAL BABY CAMP
CARED FOR AT INSTITU-
TION PAYS RESPECTS
of visitors--children who were once patients, their parents and
friends--called at the Dallas Baby camp Saturday in celebration
of the eleventh annual home-coming day at the little hospital
on Oak Lawn avenue, where 2300 sick babies have been cared for
and cured of their ailments.
Miss May Smith, head of the institution,
and her staff of seven nurses were busy from morning until after
7 o'clock in the evening, entertaining the steady stream of those
who came to pay tribute to the work the baby hospital is doing.
A youngster of vie came all the
way from Ryan, Ok., to pay his respects to those who once save
his life. The first incubator baby ever cared for at the institution,
now a healthy boy of seven, was there.
In spite of great handicaps in
equipment, Miss Smith and her staff have conducted an efficient
hospital for sick babies under two years of age in their remodeled
cottage. Now, they are looking forward to the completion of their
new $55,000 building, construction of which, will start shortly,
and where they plan on caring for 100 children at a time, instead
of thirty, which is all permitted with space now available.
Tells of Difficulties.
- June 1, 1924, Dallas
Daily Times Herald, p. 11, col. 1.
Miss Smith told of the difficulties
under which the work has been carried on in the past. The first
incubator used at the hospital was devised from an old wash-boiler.
Now, there are five up-to-date incubators, the gifts of different
friends of the institution.
Each baby has his own milk and
water bottles and his individual thermometer. Sterilization of
articles, preparation of food formulas and heating of water for
bathing are all done on one stove, and increased equipment for
those purposes is one of the things Miss Smith is looking forward
to in the new hospital home.
In spite of the limited quarters,
the baby hospital is divided into well arranged wards for the
patients and all steps are taken to give each the best of attention.
- o o o -
[Note: In 1922, the Baby camp was located at the
northwest corner of Maple & Oak Lawn avenues]
Purchase of Site
For Hospital to
Be Up to People
Institution to Be Avail-
able in 1932.
Governor Sterling has approved an appropriation of $39,500 for
the first unit, the power building of the new Dallas State Hospital,
the matter of providing a site for the hospital rests squarely
upon the people of city and county.
- June 14, 1931, The
Dallas Morning News, Section I, p. 6, col. 1.
It was revealed Saturday that chamber
of commerce officials and others interested in the earliest possible
establishment of the hospital here expect the County Commissioners
Court to submit a bond issue to the voters of the county, probably
next summer, to get funds for the site. The statute creating
the hospital was amended at the last session of the Legislature
to permit this method of raising the necessary money.
About 500 acres will be required
for the hospital site. It is understood that no definite location
has been made as yet. Options on several sites will be taken,
most probably before the bond issue is submitted, so that the
taxpayers will not be held up for the price of the land.
The initial $39,500 appropriation
will not become available until 1932. In dispatches from Austin,
it was said that the small appropriation was allowed to continue
in the bill as passed by the Legislature "to assure citizens
of Dallas that the State is acting in good faith in requesting
them to purchase a site."
The State hospital here will represent
a consolidation of the Dallas Psychopathic Hospital, authorized
a number of years ago, but never established due to lack of appropriations,
and the proposed State Cancer and Pellagra Hospital.
- o o o -