Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

To Dallas County Archives main page
Eagle Ford School, 3rd Grade photo, 1946-47

(Updated July 23, 2004)

1880
Real Estate Transfers.

     Recorded during the past two weeks. Reported by Jones & Murphy, land agents, office No. 715 Main street, opposite the St. George hotel:
...
     James Horton and P. M. Newton to B. Lavois, lot 10, block 17, in the town of Eagle Ford, for $40.

- March 23, 1880, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 8, col. 2.
- o o o -

Gillespie and Work's
DALLAS
City and County Directory,
1881-82

EAGLE FORD
6 Miles west of Dallas, on Texas & Pacific Railway.
B. L
AVOIS, P. M.

Precinct Officers.
Pryor, A. G., constable.

Blacksmiths.
Castor, Jacob

Merchants.
Lavois, B.

Miller.
Luck, W. M. & Son.

Farmers.
Allen, Abraham
Bond, L. W.
Brook, W. H.
Cockrell, Lee
Cowand, B. L.
Castor, Jacob
Cockrell, Wesley.
Cockrell, Ellis.
Girard, J. J.
Girard, Jno. F.
Guillemett, A.
Horton, Frank.
Horton, N. E.
Horton, Jas.
Lacey, D. A.
Loupot, Jno.
Lindsey, D. G.
Moore, H. M.
Mitchell, W. A. J.
Pemberton, A.
Rhodes, J. M.
Rhodes, J. H.
Royer, Jos.
Sauterre [Santerre], E.
Scripture, R. M.
Sauterre [Santerre], F.
Sauterre [Santerre], G.
Scott, Jack.

Tenants.
Allen, J. O.
Allen, J. F.
Andrews, Wm.
Alston, G. M.
Dill, M. C.
Lynch, J. A.


EAGLE FORD.

Dallas County-Sou. Div. T. & P. Ry.

Population about 200. Six miles from Dallas court house, its express and banking town, 227 from Texarkana, and 26 from Fort Worth by rail. Ship direct. Has one grist mill operated by power from Trinity river, one steam gin and two schools. Exports cattle. Daily mail by rail. Bruno Larvis, P. M.

Cooper, Miss Emma, teacher
Larvis, Bruno, genl store
Lively, I. R., lumber
Livley, M. C., teacher

Source: R. L. Polk & Co.'s Texas State Gazeteer and
Business Directory for 1882-1883, p. 369.

-----

EAGLE FORD. A postoffice on the E. div. M. P. Ry, in Dallas county, 220 miles northeast of Austin and 6 west of Dallas, the county seat and nearest banking point. It contains a grist mill, a cotton gin, and 2 schools. Livestock is shipped. Population, 50. Mail, daily.

Lavois, B., general store.

Source: R. L. Polk & Co.'s Texas State Gazeteer and
Business Directory for 1884-1885, p. 305.

-----

EAGLE FORD. A postoffice on the T. & P. Ry, in Dallas county, 220 miles northeast of Austin and 6 miles west of Dallas, the county seat and nearest banking point. It contains a grist mill, a church and a school. Population, 50. Tel. W. U. Exp., Pacific. S. G. Logsdon, postmaster.

Bowens, Ed & Co., general store.
Lavoise, F. D., general store.
Logsdon, S. G., Railroad, Express and Tel Agent.
Luck, J. E., general store.

Source: R. L. Polk & Co.'s Texas State Gazeteer and
Business Directory for 1889-1890, p. 424.

- o o o -

1889
THE SMALLPOX CASE.

_______

Eagle Ford Stirred From Centre to
Circumference Over It.

     The building from which the colored smallpox patient was moved yesterday was burned down late in the afternoon under the special supervision of Mayor Connor and Alderman Rowley. It was a frame shanty located two doors east of the colored church on Young street, and was valued at $25.
     Eagle Ford, four miles west of the city, became very panicky last night over the appearance of several negroes who arrived on the train and took up their habitations in the most populous portion of the little burg. The first to arrive was a negro woman and her two children, who stated that she was fresh from Dallas, and that the authorities had just sent her sister and two children to the pest house because she had a case of smallpox. This statement almost paralyzed the inhabitants, who went to work and had the woman shipped back to Dallas. Arriving here, she found the shanty burned to ashes, and gathering a number of her sympathizers and relatives, they all went over to Eagle Ford and established themselves there during the night. The news of their arrival had been broken in every household in the place before breakfast, and when a delegation of angry citizens made demonstrations towards driving the unwelcome emigrants from the place, they refused to go.
     Mr. John Lucks, the station agent, was then dispatched to the city on the morning train. He reported the case to the authorities and desired on behalf of the community that some wise disposition be made of the colored arrivals who, it was thought, had been exposed to the disease.
     As a simple and effective preventive in the absence of anything better, is recommended the use of pure apple vinegar. The faces, necks, chests and stomachs of the suspects should be bathed in it, they should rinse their mouths with it and keep it in plates in each room where it will evaporate. It is said to be an unfailing preventative in small pox epidemics.

- February 14, 1889, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 5, col. 1.
- o o o -

1890
Real Estate Transfers.

     Frankie E. Newton and Ernest E. Newton, lots 8 and 9, block 16, Eagle Ford, $7.

- December 20, 1890, Dallas Daily Times Herald, p. 4, col. 4.
- o o o -

1941
EAGLE FORD ROAD
RENAMED IN HONOR
OF COMMISSIONER

     The Commissioners' Court paid honor to one of its own members, Vernon Singleton, Monday morning, when it changed the name of the Eagle Ford Road to Singleton Boulevard.
     It took this action after a petition bearing the names of about 200 property owners, along, and in the vicinity of that thoroughfare, had presented a petition requesting it.
     Reason assigned for the change was that certain conditions in the neighborhood, over which the property owners had no power to prevent, have been cleaned up and the road improved, largely through the efforts of Commissioner Singleton.

- December 8, 1941, Dallas Daily Times Herald, Sec. I, p. 16, col. 2.
- o o o -