The Col. William Jones Post No. 100
Grand Army of the Republic, Gentryville, IN
The Col. William Jones GAR Post # 100
was disbanded in 1894 and reorganized in 1896.
Indiana State Archives, Commission on Public Records
The History of
GAR Post # 100
of Warrick, Spencer, Perry Counties, Indiana.
Goodspeed Bros. & Co. Publishers, 1885.
In the autumn of 1882 Col. William
Jones Post No. 100 G.A.R., was instituted with the following members: G. R.
Kellams, C.; Solomon Boyer, S.V.C.; Henry Cross, J.V.C.; Henry Bender, Q.M.; G.
W. Harris, Adjutant; F .W. Wibking, O.of D.; William Chinn, O. of G.; F. J.
McKasson, N. Horton, J. Coon, John Roberts, Henry King, A. G. Simons, A. Botler,
A.H. McCoy, C. Padgett, S.W. Lamping, J. H. Suter, R. G. Smith, William Hudspeth,
James Grigsby, Bartley Inco, Joshua Huser, John W. Oskins, and John Chinn.
The present membership is eighty-nine, and the present officers are McKasson,
C.; Cross, S.V.C.; G. W. Harris Q.M.; Bartley Inco, Adjutant.
The Col. William Jones GAR Post
No. 100 is believed to have been named in honor of Lieutenant Colonel William
Jones who was a member of the 53rd Indiana. Colonel Jones enlisted in the
Union Army while in his sixties and was killed during the battle of Atlanta, Georgia
in 1864. Colonel Jones lived in the Gentryville area and owned a general
store in which a young Abraham Lincoln had been a clerk. Click
Here for More Information on Col. William Jones