In Montpelier the trolleys ran from Bailey Avenue , down State Street to Main Street to Barre Street and onto Pioneer Street. The line crossed the Winnoski River on the Pioneer Street Bridge. It then followed the highway to Barre.
In Barre, the main line continued South on Main Street to the "old Granite Bridge" on the corner of Hill and Main Streets. There was a branch line in Montpelier that left Barre Street on Libby Avenue to run on Sibley Street to Kemp Street, and over Kemp to Colbey Street. The branch line ended near the hospital at Woodrow Avenue, in the Seminary Hill section.
The second branch line left Main Street in Barre; climbing the hill on Washington Street, to the intersection with Peterson Street.
Car number 10, a single truck, 16 foot converted horse car, in Barre, Vermont.
An additional five 20 foot closed single truck cars were also ordered. These were numbered 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20.
The total track milege was 10.25, laid to standard gage 4 foot 8 and a half inches.
The fare was listed at 8 cents per zone in the 1924 McGraw directory.
In 1919 the company name was changed to Barre & Montpelier Traction and Power Company. Some how even with the 5 dangerous crossings and the competition of bus companies, the trolley line continued to operate until November 1927. After the flood of 1927, coal-burning steam locomotives from the Barre & Chelsea Railroad, a competitor transported granite scraps and rubble from the quarries in Barre over the trolley tracks to be used as fill to repair flood damage. Many efforts were made to bring back the trolleys, but trolleys never ran to Barre again.
A 40 minute headway was kept between the intersection of State Street and Bailey Avenue, Montpelier and the intersection of South Main Street and Ayer Street in Barre.
Between the increasingly popular automobile, the Montpelier & Wells River Railroad and early busses (Jitneys), the street railway was having a hard time in 1915. City officials complained that the trolleys were running too fast in that same year.
The Vermont State Highway Department blasted and widened the adjacent road in 1927, often leaving rocks and debris on the tracks for the railway to cleanup. Also in 1927 the Yellow Bus Company which operated between Barre, Montpelier and Burlington was given permission to provide local service.
The flood which followed a 48 hour rainstorm on November 3rd and 4th of 1927 nearly sealed the fate of the Barre Montpelier Street Railway. Destroying dams, bridges and undermining the tracks.
Robert C. Jones Railroads of Vermont I.Shelburne, VT : New England Press, 1993
McGraw Electric Railway Directory for 1924.
Albert Spaulding, Notes for Green Mountain Trolleys.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids