Julian Smith Casino is located at historic Lake Olmstead Park.
More information needed. By history a place labeled a 'casino' usually also was an amusement park if the park be 'small'. Established 1870 ??
Lake Olmstead too became a recreation center. Sailboat and rowboat races around the small islands competed with swimming and other attractions along the shore. The Lake View pavilion along its shore was the place to be at the turn of the century.
But the canal could turn pleasure into tragedy. An overgrown granite headstone on the canal bank near Rae’s Creek reads: "Here on the 10th day of March 1891 were drowned Louise King Connelly and Henry Cumming Lamar."
Lake Olmstead was created in 1872 as a part of Augusta Canal expansion designed by engineer Charles Olmstead. Augustans began flocking to Lakeview Park as early as a year later, according to articles in The Augusta Chronicle.
Julian Smith Casino, named after a former Augusta mayor, was added in 1936.
The park was the place to go before the coming of Strom Thurmond Lake. Boat racing, fishing and water skiing were among the popular uses, but after the 70,000-acre U.S. Army Corps of Engineers impoundment was created in the mid-1950s, the casino, park and facilities started to deteriorate from lack of use.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids