~ THE BRIGHAM FAMILY ~
The Brighams were not among the very first settlers of Marlborough, though they came here quite early and
became a numerous family.
The following comes from Ella Bigelows book.
Many years ago over in the county of Curnberlaud in old England. there was a parish adjoining Scotland called Brigham. In the reign of Edward II. one heard about the - Barony at Brigham, " and the word is an object of interest to the antiquarian today, for one learns that after the Norman conquest it was assigned to Waldeof, Earl of Northcumberland, who built a stupendous castle which became the Baronial seat of his successors, the lords of Alerdale. Here as feudal kings they reigned for generations, maintaining in splendor a school and theatre of chivalry. This fortress was one of the strongest upon the island and is not yet in total ruins, and could the walls speak they might relate of royal embassies and visits, splendid tournaments, thrilling events and scenes of honor. As time went on, English nobility began to assume tower or sir names and noblemen took their names from their estates. At this time some successor of Waldeof assumed the name of Brigham.
Thomas Brigham was 32 years of age when he embarked 1635 at London for New England in the ship Susan and E1lyn, Edward Payne. master. Journeying to Watertown he became proprietor of a 14-acre lot on the strip which was taken from Watertown and in 1754 annexed to Cambridge. Thomas settled "hard by" and built his house in Cambridge on the lot of three and one-half acres which had been assigned to him. This was the very spot which Governor Winthrop and assistants agreed was a "fit place for a fortified town " and the capitol of the colony. Here a number of chief men built their houses and the General Court held their first sessions. And here Thomas Brigham resided until 1648. He filled standing and responsible positions, became proprietor of immense herds of cattle and swine, and when the land was divided to settlers according to their estates, he purchased a new site and built at once on the spot where now is Somerville, about one-third of it mile south of Tufts College and east of the Cambridge poor house. Thomas Brigham's last place of worship must have been Medford, and in her ancient graveyard, according to Morse Genealogy, his ashes repose awaiting a monument. He left an estate of considerable value and for his tune, a spacious house, which consisted of a hall, parlor, kitchen and two chambers all completely furnished and stored with necessary provisions. The inventory of his estate was peculiar. In the settlement of other estates prior to that time it would be difficult to find one of more personal property, including so many articles of luxery. Silver spoons and other utensils of silver, "join chairs" and "join stools," cushion, pieces, damask cloth, livery, table, one flock and four feather beds are enumerated ; and his wardrobe, for the age was that of a New England gentleman. He had two bound servants, five horses, fourteen sheep and ten cattle. His inventory footed up £449. (four hundred 49 pounds). Thomas Brigham, its we have said in the Rice story married Mercy Hurd who bore him five children, and when he died he appointed her sole executrix of his last will and testament.
Among Thomas and Mercy Hurd's five children was Thomas Brigham, the 2d, and when his mother married Goodman Edmund Rice of Marlborough continued, with his brothers and sisters, to live with his mother on his stepfather's estate. On attaining his majority, Thomas married Marv Rice (daughter of Henry) and bought from his stepfather, Edmund Rice, 24 acres of land in the southwestern part of the town on the site known as the Warren Brigham Farm on what we call Glen street.
The 1803 map section to the left shows the location of the homestead. The large star locates the house, the single small star indicates "Glen St." and the small double stars indicate Route 20 in Marlborough.
Here he built at log cabin. One day being called to Lancaster he left his family to care for the home. "Breaking flax" was one of the many household duties of the time, and in an unguarded moment this combustible material took fire and the house was soon in flames. When Thomas returned his little log but was no more to be seen. But rather a fire from flax than from treacherous foe, and in 1706 up went on the same spot of land another home, a frame house, so well and safely built that it was one of the 26 chosen as garrisons by the 137 families in town at that time.
The house to the left, I believe, is that which is discussed. Larger picture can be found at the Homes sections.
The farm of Thomas Brigham 2d was the starting of that immense farm which he acquired from the Indian occupants, and finally included in his own right thousands of acres stretching for miles away to Chauncey pond. He is said to have been a large strong man of whom the Indians stood greatly in awe. It was his custom in war times when going to mill to have an escort of two dogs and two guns. Probably the guns if not the dogs accompanied him to church and to other places. " We imagine that the two dogs ,went also to divine worship as we know that in early times it was the custom in cold weather for the favorite dog to be brought to meeting where he could be a warmth to his master's feet. Indeed, those living stoves became such a fashion and oft times such a nuisance to the congregation at large, that dog whippers were appointed and the owners of these pets were fined did they not see to it that they came not into the meeting house during the worship.
One day Thomas was found sleeping in his chair. He was 76 years old when this great sleep came upon him. They laid him away in 1716, and his son Gershom took his father's house for an "L" (addition) to his own newly built two-story house. Gershom was a man well known in the annals of Marlborough. An impartial surveyor, an intrepid constable; a selectman and one of the distinguished committee to seat the meeting; and woe unto the wide awake children of mischievous propensity, and even the parents who sometimes event nid nodding before the hour glass, resting on the little stand by the preacher, could be turned, for Gershom Brigham, the tithingman, was a regular attendant and himself, was never found napping. Gershom settled down happy and contented on the old home place, the so called Warren Brigham, and had five children by his good wife Mehitable Warren (6th child of Joseph Warren of Medfield) among whom was Joseph Brigham who married Comfort Bigelow who proved indeed a comfort to Joseph as well as to John her father after the latter's release from captivity.
Joseph Brigham and Comfort Bigelow went housekeeping in the homestead sketched above, which he built, and which is now known as the Ames house. This is one of the most interesting old homesteads anywhere to be found. In one of the rooms one finds a grand old fireplace so ample that one could climb up the immense chimney to the very roof itself. A hiding place surely for man or woman in the old historic ,days of thrilling events. Over the high mantel rests the grin and bayonet brought to America at the time of General Lafayette's landing, and resting near by is a halberd or javelin, and old sword, andirons, bellows, shovel and tongs, candle, snuffers and tray, a hanging tin candlestick and an ancient lantern through whose many openings the light found its way as best it could. Grouped around are chairs and tables of ancient pattern, and on the tables are old books and files of old almanacs, a circular willow basket with twelve small compartments for tumblers, and one larger for decanter. Here is a spinning wheel with its reel, a flax wheel, a tape loom, a quill wheel, slaies and temples used in weaving, a warming pan, a foot stove, an unique candlestand, ancestor as it were to the modern piano lamp; a spirit case or wine chest containing bottle and glasses of fine workmanship brought from over the sea; old grandfather's clock made by the celebrated Ephraim Barber, who lived about a mile east from this place on the shore of Lake Williams. But the most interesting of all is the chair in which Thomas Brigham died in 1717 at the age of 76 years.
Joseph and Comfort had a large family from whom are descended many well known families. Two of their children, Joseph aged 7 years and Comfort aged 5, died July 17, 1743, 11 on Saturday both of them, " as the old record pathetically reads". The names were repeated and the second Joseph or Joseph, Jr., inherited the home place.
Young Moses lost his heart, and being an enterprising young man, healso lost no time in gaining entrance to pretty Lydia's home and heart; and not long after, they two were "called" in the old church "not quite three miles away. " Three children blessed this union, among whom was Nancy B., who married as she grew to womanhood Esquire Levi Bigelow, and Lewis who married first Nancy Childs, and after her death Mrs. Mehetable Forbush. Among the latter's children was Doctor Joseph Stanford Ames, a grand man in every- sense of 'the word; of finest, tenderest sentiment, who lived to hear both high and low, rich and poor call him with one voice 11 our dear doctor; " Robert Ames, the well known dancing master; Stephen, and Martha, a refined, gifted and well read lady of 76 years who still remains (as of 1910) in the Joseph Brigham homestead.
In 1817 Elizabeth Larkin was married one morning by the Rev. Sylvester F. Bucklin to Winslow Brigham (son of Capt. Daniel and Thankful Brigham) and as time went on returned to live with "Mother Larkin" who had built this house. From this old homestead their daughter Elizabeth Brigham now a lovable dear lady of 92 years of age, was married to Wallace Witherbee youngest son of Caleb Witherbee whose two first years of married life were spent on the Wesson farm and from there ten rears in "Father Caleb Witherbee's" mansion. The children of William Wallace and Elizabeth Brigham Witherbee are Ellen, Frank, Elizabeth, Frederick, Mary, Sarah, Anne, Herbert.
When their two daughters moved to Fairmount, Winslow Brigham and his wife rented the old home and built the now Charles Morse house to which they moved and enjoyed life there for less than two weeks. At the town's political demonstration Nov. 1st, 1864 when general enthusiasm prevailed and noted speakers present, Mr. Brigham was standing on the sidewalk, and was knocked down by an unmanageable horse, and never spoke again. Soon the wife joined him in the other life. In the Larkin Home was married Anne Fisher Brighaim to Samuel Boyd. The couple boarded first at the Thayer Hotel. Then began housekeeping on Bridge street, and then went to the Draper home just this side of George Morse, (Samuel and Anne's child Delia [m. Henry Aldrich] Anna [m. Samuel C. Darling] Florence, Lydda, Carrie, Henry, Fannv.).
The old Homestead on Elm street was in former years, a one story dwelling which was taken down by Mr. Caleb Brigham 2d who erected the house. The latter was a man celebrated for many miles as a talented violin player, and a popular dancing master. His discipline was wonderful. He always kept the best of order and at no time during his lesson hours was laughing or whispering allowed. As soon as any noise was heard, up came the old violin turned bottom side up which he would strike with his bow and making such a noise that you would think he was about to smash the whole thing. Thus he would awe his pupils. But he was a veritable gentleman, a most popular teacher, and a strict temperance man. He married Martha Brigham who lived where Sidney Gleason lately resided. Her father and mother both died with the small pox and were buried in the night in the Brigham Cemetery. They were the first ones buried there. Mr. Brigham gave the land for a burying place. When her parents died, the youngest daughter was only twelve years old. She grew to be a smart, capable woman. Her husband Caleb 2d, earned the money and she aided him in the keeping of it. Of their sons and daughters who lived there, Francis Dana became President of Hudson's Bank, Charles went into railroad business in Fitchburg, Tileston lived at home with his parents, Martha married Mathias Rice, Laura married Alden Brigham, Angenette married Burleigh Morse, son of Lyman. Caleb Brigham died a number of years before his wife who suddenly one morning at her son Dana's after a pleasant day of apparent health, passed away.
One hundred years ago when the cotillion dances were held every Thursday night for several weeks at Cotting's Hall, Mr. Caleb Brigham and Mr. Pliny Witherbee with instruments in hand would mount the rostrum and the couples arm in arm take their position on the floor. Mr. Brigham was a fine looking portly man, a perfect Chesterfield in manners and of such character and standing in society that parents were glad to place their children under his instruction. His voice was clear and strong and few were his superiors in drawing music from the violin. Said an old ,gentleman "We shall always hold in highest esteem the memory of Mr. Caleb Brigham, so kind, so jovial and so desirous of making us all happy. We remember well in school the charge he would give to his scholars in leaving the hall: 'Now boys, remember in going away from here that you avoid rude and boisterous language. Be gentlemanly in your deportment for there are ears open to hear you, and I want you to convince all critics that you come here for a good purpose, not merely- to learn to dance but to be civil, courteous, and polite."
Among the children of Ithamer Brigham was Eli, who married Lydia Howe, and their son Jonas built the following pretty Homestead. Jonas Brigham was a man of unimpeachable integrity, and respected by all who knew- him. His son, Edward A., and daughters, S. Eliza and Hattie, still reside in this old home standing at the foot of Mt. Sligo, the highest elevation in Middlesex county.
Hundreds of descendants of the only one of the second generation of Brighams, whose grave is marked where he lies buried in the old cemetery in the rear of our High school building, will be interested in the old homestead on the Boston Road. Here lived the son of Capt. Samuel Brigham and Elizabeth Howe, daughter of Abraham and Hannah (Ward) Hove and grandson of Thomas and Mercy (Hurd) Brigham. Lieut. Jedediah Brigham married Bethiah, daughter of Joseph and Dorothy (Martin) Howe, and at his death he left the above homestead to his youngest son Winslow who married Elizabeth Harrington Winslow was a distinguished citizen and died as he had lived on the old place which passed on to his son, Major Jedediah, who married Lydia, daughter of William and Lydia (Morse) Boyd. Major Jedediah Brigham was a well known factor in Marlborough in time past and was much interested in military affairs. In town he was treasurer, assessor, selectman, and held other important offices. Ten children were born to him and his good wife in thus old homestead which until a few years ago was a landmark of Marlborough.
Here were born Betsey, who married Samuel Warren, and later he married Rebecca Morse; Lydia married Lyman Morse; Lucy married Timothy Patch; Hannah married George Peters; Ashley married Mary, daughter of Ephraim Bigelow; Joel married Lydia, daughter of Capt. Job Dickinson of Northfeld; William Pitt married Lavinia, daughter of Dr. John Baker; Augusta married John W. Stevens.
Betsey Brigharn, born in Westborough, of lively disposition and good company, once said : "You can't throw a stone in the boroughs but you'll hit a Fay- or a Brigham. " Her nephew was afflicted at one time with a compound fracture of the arm. The doctor after an examination stated that there was proud flesh in the arm. Aunt Godfrey quickly remarked, "You never saw a Brigham who didn't have I proud flesh. ' "
The old house was moved away- to School street after the grand old trees had been totally destroyed in a terrific storm, but those whose ancestors were born here and who became respected and noted citizens will ever treasure in memory the old Brigham homestead.
Coming down from the Puritan, Thomas Brigham, we find Itharmar, son of Capt. Ithamar and Ruth (Ward), who married Catherine Barnes, daughter of Solomon and ,Judith Barnes, and built a substantial house near Maplewood cemetery which was laid out in later years on some land belonging to the estate. Here in 1783 Ithamar and Catherine lived in peace and prosperity.
The house at the left is that of Itharmar Brigham.
The 1803 map section to the left indicates the location of Ithamar Brighams house; the large star shows the house, the small single stars indicate what is now known as "Pleasant St." and the small double stars indicate what is now known as "Berlin Rd.". The large circle indicates the location of the piece of land that is now known as "Maplewood Cemetery"
The War of the Revolution had passed and Marlborough had regained her domestic life and had settled down to the prosperity which little by little had come to her. Seven children were born to Catherine and Ithamar, among whom were: Moses and Eli. The former, six years older than his brother, soon set the matrimonial example by marrying Miss Susan Fosgate, of Berlin, setting up housekeeping in his new home at Crane Meadow. Moses seemed to be the favored nephew of his Uncle Silas, who married Persis Stowe of Southborough, and so all the personal property of the latter came to the Crane Meadow home; the old grandfather clock, the pewter plates, the lovely pink cups, the curtains patched and darned by Aunt Persis herself, the big pink dish which held the wedding cake for Moses and his bride; the pillow-cases spun from the very flax Aunt Persis raised, and the wonderful old pewter tankard used at communion table in the old Southborough church - for Silas kept bees and the old tankard made a most convenient receptacle for the honey they made.
A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY of THE FIRST SETTLERS OF NEW ENGLAND, SHOWING THREE GENERATIONS OF THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE MAY, 1692
ON THE BASIS OF FARMER'S REGISTER.
BY JAMES SAVAGE, published 1860
BRIGHAM, JOHN, Sudbury, son of Thomas, removed to Marlborough, of who he was representative 1689 and 90, had Sarah, born 27 March 1674; Mary, 6 May 1678; Jotham, 6 June 1680; Hannah, 27 March 1683; and Thomas, 6 May 1687.
SAMUEL, Sudbury, son of Thomas, removed to Marlborough, freeman 1690, by w. Elizabeth daughter of Abraham Howe of M. who died 26 July 1739, aged 75, had Elizabeth born 24 March 1685; Hepzibah 25 January 1687; SAMUEL, 25 January 1689; Lydia, 5 March 1691; Jedediah, 8 June 1693; Jotham, 23 December 1695; Timothy, 10 October 1698; Charles, 30 December 1700; Persis, 10 July 1703; and Antipas, 16 October 1706. He was a captain and died 24 July 1713. Sebastian, Cambridge 1636, removed to Rowley, was captain 1644, representative 1650. Johnson's History of N. E. 193, and Gage, in History of Rowley, gave this spelling of the name, whom Farmer had under Bridham. The baptismal name must be influential in preventing mistake, and the local historian likely to be correct.
THOMAS, Cambridge, came in the Susan and Ellen, 1635, aged 32, freeman 18 Apr. 1636, was not of Watertown, as Bond thought., did not remove to Sudbury, as Farmer had said, but wife Mercy Hurd, married probably after coming from England had Thomas, born around 1642; John, born 9 March 1645, above mentioned; Mary, who probably died before her father; Hannah, 9 Mar, 1650, or 1; and Samuel, 12 January 1653, above mentioned; all named in his will proven early in 1654. He made his will 7 October and died 8 December 1653. His widow married 1 March 1655, Edmund Rice; and next, 1664, William Hunt.
THOMAS, Sudbury, son of the preceding removed to Marlborough, m. 27 December 1665, Mary, was freeman 1690, had Thomas, born 24 February 1667, who died before his father; Nathan, 17 June 1671; David, 11 August 1673, died young,; Jonathan, 22 February 1675; David, again, 12 Apr. 1678; Gershom, 23 February 1681 (the last two died before their father); Elnathan, 7 March 1683; and Mary, 26 October 1687. He made his will 21 Apr. 1716, who was pro. 2 June 1717. Six of this name had been graduated at Harvard in 1834, and an equal number in aggregate at the other N. E. colleges.
The following information comes from various sources
Thomas Brigham, the ancestor of the Brighams in New England, embarked at London for America, April 18, 1835, in the shipSusan and Ellyn, Edward Payne, master. He was then 32 years of age, and consequently was born in 1603. He settled in Watertown, near Cambridge line, on land which was afterward set to Cambridge. He was made freeman in 1639, and was selectman in 1640, and subsequently. He married about 1637, Mercy Hurd, born in England. He died December 18, 1653, and she married 1655, Edmund Rice, then of Sudbury, but afterwards of Marlborough. He died and she married as her 3rd husband, William Hunt of Marlborough, who died in 1667, and she died 1693.
Thomas Brigham Jr., first son of Thomas Brigham and Mercy Hurd, came to Marlborough with his mother who then married Edmund Rice, and upon reaching age of consent and purchased a town right and settled in the south-west part of the town on what is now known as “Warren Bigelow Farm” on the road to Northboro. He built his house after King Philip’s War and it is still standing. He was a prominent man in town and held many positions of importance. The chair he died in was left to Mrs. Lewis Ames, one of his descendants, and it now is in the possession of the Marlborough Historical Society. Thomas married Mary Rice and they had seven children.
Paul Brigham, son of Thomas and Sarah (Stratton) Brigham, served as Lieutenant and Captain of the 5th Company, Colonel Ezekiel Howe's Massachusetts Regiment.
John Brigham, second son of Thomas Brigham and Mercy Hurd, was referred to as Dr. Brigham and was a man of character. He commenced his business for himself buy erecting a saw-mill near Howe Brook close to the center of the town of Northboro. He lived here in a small cabin for several years until fear of savages moved him to a place of safety. He probably went to Cambridge after leaving Northboro and after the war he located himself in Sudbury where he became a selectman and a Representative to the Court. It is said that he spent his final days with his daughter in Northboro.
Samuel Brigham, last son of Thomas Brigham and Mercy Hurd, was living at the same time in 1711 as his son Samuel Brigham II. The elder Samuel Brigham, a colonist, who was born in Watertown, and moved to Marlborough living east of the meeting house, near were now is Hosmer St. is, where he operated a tannery for many years. He was born January 12th 1652 and married Elizabeth Howe of Marlborough and had ten children. He was called a Captain, although no Revolutionary War marker marks his grave. He died July 13th 1713 at age 59 and his widow Elizabeth died July 26th 1739 at age 79. They are both buried in Old Common Cemetery. His son Samuel Brigham II was a Representative to the General Court from Marlborough and a Town Clerk in 1744 and 1745.
Nathan Brigham, first son of Thomas and Mary Brigham, was a Captain and filled many town offices. He married Elizabeth Howe and It is said that he found his wife dead kneeling beside her chair in her house. They had a son also named Nathan and when Southboro became a town, his home fell within it’s boundaries. In addition to Nathan they had seven more children.
Jonathan Brigham, second son of Thomas and Mary Brigham, married Mary Fay. Folklore says that while working in the woods, he discovered an Indian lurking near him; he seized his gun and took deliberate aim, the Indian doing the same. Both fired at the same time, the Indian fell dead, but Jonathan escaped unhurt. They had ten children.
Samuel Brigham II, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Howe) Brigham, married Abigail Moore and they had seven children. He was called a Lieutenant and was one of forty persons who, in 1727, purchased Grafton from the Indians. He was widowed when Abigail died on November 20, 1731, she is buried in the Old Common Burial Grounds. Samuel reached the rank of Captain. His son George Brigham had a son, William, who was mortally wounded at the battle of Tippecanoe on December 8, 1811.
Jedediah Brigham, son of Samuel and Elizabeth, married Bethiah Howe. He settled on the homestead of his parents and carried on with the tannery. He also owned lands in Princton, Lancaster and Bolton.
Winslow Brigham, son of Jedidiah and Bethiah (Howe) Brigham, was a delegate to convention for the framing the State constitution in 1779-80.
Timothy Brigham, fourth son of Samuel and Elizabeth Brigham, married first Martha Johnson who died in 1757. He married second Sarah Smith of Lancaster. He resided in the part of Marlborough which now is Southboro. He was the town treasurer for 24 years and an equal amount of time as a town selectman. He was an officer in the French War and rose to the rank of Colonel in the Militia.. When Southborough was incorporated in 1727, the first town meeting was held at his house which was located in that part of Marlborough which became Southborough. St. Marks school was the site of his house and it was taken down in 1817 and replaced with a new one built by Perly Whipple. The second meeting of this new town was again held at his house on August 28, 1727. At this meeting William Johnson was chosen moderator and William Ward Clerk, both of whom were formerly of Marlborough.
Charles Brigham, fifth son of Samuel and Elizabeth Brigham, moved to Grafton where he became a Magistrate of the town for the General Court.
Ephraim Brigham, third son of Nathan and Elizabeth Brigham, married Hannah Willard of Grafton. He resided near Williams Pond (on the now known as Beach Street). They had two children that died young. He attained the rank of Captain, which implied he was a substantial man of the town. In 1771 he set aside 133 pounds the proceeds of 22 pounds to be paid to the minister for preaching and an annual lecture to promote the present and future improvements of the young and the remaining to be expended in supporting a school in the middle of the town which was to be distinct from the District Schools, for the benefit of all children in the town. As a result of this, the “Brigham Lecture” arose and the “Brigham School” got it’s beginnings
Joel Brigham, son of Jonathan and Mary (Fay) Brigham, was a selectman in 1763 and 1741; he kept a “publiic house” in Marlborough for fifty years after which he moved to New York.
Samuel III, George and Ashbel S., sons of George and Mary Bragg Brigham, homestead located on Brigham Street covered 175 acres of land. It was first owned by Capt. Samuel Brigham III,. It was then occupied by Samuel's son George, born March 17th 1730 and married Mary Bragg daughter of Ebenezer Bragg of Shrewsbury, and was also a Representative to the General Court in 1776, 1777 and 1781. They had sixteen children, one died in March of 1771, 1 died in August of 1771 and four died in September of 1771, their first child Phineas died at age 2 months and two died at age two and age one in 1775. The remaining lived long enough for some of them to marry. George moved to Southboro and left the house to his son Ashbel Samuel Brigham, born March 3rd who married Persis daughter of Elijah and Ruth (Taylor) Brigham. They had a son Nahum who died a age 3 years on December 3, 1808. Ashbel died a widower July 13, 1839 and Persis died June 7, 1829; they are all buried in Brigham Cemetery. Asbel sold the homestead to Doctor Daniel Brigham. The homestead was Garrison No. 7 during Capt. Samuel Brighams time.
Doctor Daniel Brigham, son of Captain Jonas and Persis Brigham of Westboro. Doctor Daniel Brigham is buried in Brigham Cemetery and died at age 77 on June 12, 1837; he was a Revolutionary War veteran as a Private, Capt. William Morse's co. of volunteers, Col. Jonathan Read's regiment; enlisted Oct. 2, 1777; discharged Nov. 8, 1777; service, 1 months. 7 days; he had additional service at a young age. The property was then left to his son Barnabus Brigham which was located on the now known as Brigham Street.
Addington Brigham, son of Barnabus and Mary (Fife) Brigham - lived on The Farm originally covered 175 acres and has ever been occupied by Brighams. It was first owned by Capt. Samuel 3d, then by Samuel's son George, who left it to Ashbael Samuel, who sold it to Doctor Daniel, who was followed by Barnabas and then by Addington. George, Ashbael Samuel, and Addington Brigham were all born here on this old homstead, which was a Garrison place and stands on Brigham street in the south part of the town three-quarters of a mile from Marlborough Junction. Addington Brigham has served the town as Road Commissioner and the city of Marlborough as member of the Common Council of which he has been president. He is charter member of Marlborough Grange and member of the G. A. R., enlisting in 1864 in Co. E, 5th Mass. Inf. His children are Abbie A., who married George Fred Nichols and lives on the homestead land of Thomas; Ella, who married Wm. A. Porter; Cora E. who died 1892; and William Dl. Brigham a graduate of Boston University, a prominent lawyer who has served on positions of trust in Marlborough and was Representative to General Court from 21st Middlesex District, 1899-1907 inclusive. He married Florence R. Eyers of Northampton, England, ch. Ulysses A., Alfred E., and William Munroe, Jr. They as their father were all born here in the old home.
Barnabus Brigham was taxed in June 1855 the sum of $19.36. Pol tax $1.50, buildings and 26 acres of land $15.10 and personal property of 1 horse, 2 oxen, 5 cows, 1 yearling and 2 swine $2.66.
Gershom Brigham, son of Thomas Brigham 2nd and Mary (Rice) Brigham, took his fathers house and added it to his own newly built two story house as an "Ell". Gershom was a surveyor a constable and a selectman for the town of Marlborough. Gershom married Mehitable Warren, sixth child of Joseph Warren of Medfield, and the two of them had five children. Among them was Joseph Brigham who married Comfort Bigelow the daughter of John Bigelow who had been captured and released by Indians.
Joseph Brigham, son of Gershom and Mehetable Brigham, built himself a home which later on became the Ames house. This house was of interest, in one room one finds a grand old fire place, so ample that one could climb up the chimney. Over the high mantel rests the gun and bayonet brought to America at the time of General LaFayettes landing and resting near by is a javelin, old sword andirons, bellows, shovel and tongs, candle snuffer, hanging tin candlestick and a lantern. Grouped around were chairs and tables and files of old almanacs, a circular willow basket and twelve small compartments for tumblers and decanter. A spinning wheel with reel and flax wheel, a tape loom, quill wheel, items used for weaving, warming pan, a foot stove and other items occupied other spaces in the room. The was also an old Grandfathers Clock which had been made by one of New Englands finest clock makers, Ephraim Barber, who lived about a mile from his place on the shores of Lake Williams. Of most interest was the chair that Thomas Brigham died in, it occupied a spot in the room also. Two of their children, Joseph aged 7 years and Comfort aged 5 years died July 17, 1742. Mrs. Comfort Brigham died September 24th 1755 aged 47 years, 11 months and 20 days and is buried in Old Common Burial Grounds. Two years later, Joseph married Mrs. Ruth Ward, widow of Elisha Ward of Westborough. She was sister to Silas and Timothy Rice who were carried off to Canada by Indians in 1794. Ruth died February 7th 1786 at age 74 years 2 months and 20 days and is buried in Old Common Burial Ground; Joseph died five months later on July 29th 1786 at age 80 years, 3 months and 8 days. He is also buried in Old Common Burial Ground.
Joseph Brigham Jr., son of Joseph and Comfort Brigham, Remained on the farm and later married Lydia Barnes. They had two daughters, the first named Lydia. She was taught the routine of the farm and learned the workings of the dairy where many a pat of butter was molded into shape by her hands. Moses Ames took a liking to her and eventually took her hand in marriage.
Samuel Brigham, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Woods) Brigham, entered Dartmouth College before the breaking out of the Revolution, however calls of patriotism induced him to join in the fight in 1777. He was a Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War and was paymaster; he was present at the execution of Major Andre. Upon ending his tour, he returned to college and graduated in 1779. He took up a practice in that part of Shrewsbury that is now known as Boylston. He was severly injured and was forced to abandon his practice. He was a magistrate for many years. He died June 24, 1830 at age 74 and is buried in the Old Burial Grounds in Boylston, Massachusetts. His wife, Mary Ball, is buried ther also. She died August 21, 1756,
Charles Brigham, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Howe) Brigham, served as Justice of the Peace in 1778. He died in Grafton.
Aaron Brigham, son of Winslow and Elizabeth (Harrington) Brigham, served as a private in Captain Amasa Cranston's Company, Colonel Samuel Denins' Regiment in 1779.
Ithamer Brigham Jr., son of Thomas and Sarah (Stratton) Brigham, was selectman for ten years, and bore the title of Captain. He resided with Mr Alden Brigham.
Abel Brigham, son of Ithamer Jr. and Catharine (Barns) brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $40.92. Poll tax $1.50, buildings and 89 acres of land, $35.43 and personal property of 1 horse, 2 oxen, 6 cows and 2 swine $3.99.
Paul Brigham, son of Thomas and Sarah (Stratton) Brigham, served as Lieutenant and Captain of the 5th Company, Colonel Ezekiel Howe's Massachusetts Regiment.his son Paul was a soldier in the Revolution.
Francis Brigham, son of Ivory and Sally (Wilkins) Brigham, resided in Feltonville, now Hudson, Massachusetts, where he engaged in the shoe making industry. He, at one time, employed some three hundred people. He was a Captain and represented the town in the Legislature. In June of 1855he was assessed taxes of $157.10. Poll tax of $1.50; house, barn, brick shop, gravel pit and land $87.68 and personal property $67.92 (his personal property consisted of 1 horse, 2 oxen, 4 cows, 2 yearlings, stock in trade, 25 shares in the bank).
Daniel Brigham, son of Winslow and Elizabeth (Harrington) Brigham, was a Captain and filled every office in the town. He was selectman eighteen years, treasurer elven years, town clerk twenty years and represented the town in the General Court.
Aaron Brigham, son of Winslow and Elizabeth (Harrington) Brigham, was assessor, selectman and a Captain in the Militia.
Jedediah Brigham, son of Winslow and Elizabeth (Harrington) Brigham, was involved in public affairs, represented the town in General Court and had the rank of Major.
Joel Brigham, son of Jedeiah and Lydia (Boyd) brigham, was taxed in June 1855 $54.98. Poll tax $150, buildings and 93 acres of land $31.35 and personal property of "stock in trade", $22.13.
Henry Brigham, son of Uriah and Sarah (Gott) Brigham, was a minute man from Marlboro at the Lexington Alarm under Captain William Brigham. He died in Barre.
Lovewell Brigham, son of Soloman and Martha (Boyd) Brigham. His first name is recorded "Louwell" in the ital records. He marched at the Lexington Alarm.
Asa Brigham, son of Lewis and Rebecca (Babcock) Brigham, became an apprentice and eventually set up a business for himself in Lunenburg, Massachusetts. He rose to the rank of Major in the militia. His business was burnt out, so he moved to Louisiana in 1816. He eventually moved to Texas in about 1831. He was involved in the war between Texas and Mexico, and was one of the signers of the Declaration of Texas Independance. He became Treasurer of the Republic. He had an extensive writup by a Texas paper upon his death. His youngest son, Benjamin, was slain in the Battle of St. Jacinto on his twenty-first birthday.
Lewis Brigham, son of Asa and Elizabeth (Warren) Brigham, served as Corporal in the Massachusetts troops under Captain Brigham and Colonel Ward.
Joel Brigham, son of Jonathan and Mary (Fay) Brigham, responded to the Lexington Alarm as a Private in Captain Cyprian Howe's Company, Colonel Jonathan Ward's Regiment, from Cambridge. He died in Madison, N. Y.
William Brigham, son of Joel and Mary (Church) Brigham, commanded a company in Col. Jonathan Ward's regiment, which marched on the Lexington Alarm. He died in Tunbridge, Vt.
Jonathan Brigham, son of Joel and Mary (Church) Brigham, served as private in Captain Daniel Barnes' Company, Colonel Jonathan Ward's Regiment, which marched on the Lexington Alarm. He died in Mayville, N.Y..
Antipas Brigham, son of Jotham and Abigail (Howe) Brigham, served as Corporal and Sergeant in Captain Barnes' Company, Colonel Ward's Regiment, Massachusetts militia.
George Brigham, son of Samuel and Abigal (Moore) Brigham, was a member of a committee from Middlesex County to raise men for New York and Canada.
Phineas Brigham, George and Mary (Bragg) Brigham, served as Private in Captain Joseph Cole's Company, Colonel John Jacob's Regiment. He died in Eaton, N. Y.
Gershom Brigham, son of Benjamin and Hannah Brigham, was a minute man from Marlboro, under Captain William Brigham at Concord in 1775. He died in Fayston, Vermont
John Hastings Brigham, son of Otis and Lucy (Stratton) Brigham was taxed, June 1855, a sum of $6.25. Poll tax $1.50 and personal tax $4.75 (taxed on $500.00 of personal property).
George Henry Brigham, son of Otis and Lucy (Stratton) Brigham, was taxed $9.10. Pol tax $1.50, house and 110 rods of land $7.60.
George Webber Brigham, son of Eli and Lydia (How) Brigham, was taxed in June 1855 $13.94. Poll tax $1.50, shop and land $10.07 and personal property of 2 horses $2.37.
Jonas Edward Brigham, son of Eli and Lydia (How) Brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $36.26. Pol tax $1.50, buildings and 86 1/2 acres of land and personal property of 1 horse, 5 cows and 4 oxen, $3.70.
Francis Dana Brigham, son of Caleb Jr. and Martha (Brigham) Brigham, was taxed June 1855 a sum of $97.26. Poll tax $1.50, tax on house an dland $27.55 and personal tax of $68.21 (personal property consisted of 20 shares in the bank, 1 horse, 1 carriage and stock in trade).
Tileston Brigham, son of Caleb Jr. and Martha (Brigham) Brigham, was taxed June 1855 a sum of $24.11. Pol tax $1.50, buildings and 27 acres of land, $20.90 and personal property of 1 horse and 2 cows, $1.71.
William Henry Brigham, son of Artemus and Mary Ann (Arnold) Brigham, was taxed June 1855 a sum of $9.00. Pol tax $1.50, tax on house and 10 1/2 acres of land $6.65 and personal property tax of $0.85 (personal property consisted of 1 horse, 2 cows and swine).
Adolphus Brigham, son of Abner and Dorothy (Woods) Brigham, taught one winter in the west district of Southborough, Massachusetts. He was described as being very methodical in all his teaching, requiring the scholars to understand what they studied. He studied medicine and had married one of his students Eliza Parker who was the daughter of Swain Parker. He removed to Shrewsbury to start his practice of medicine.
Alden Brigham, twin son of Abner and Dorothy (Woods) Brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $16.98. Pol tax $1.50, tax on building and 30 acres of land $12.35 and personal property $3.13 (personal property consisted of 1 horse, 3 cows and money in the bank of $150.00).
Moses Brigham, son of Joseph Jr. and Sarah (Woods) Brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $42.25. Pol tax $1.50, tax on building and 26 acres of land $34.20 and personal property $6.55 (personal property consisted of 1 horse, 2 oxen, 6 cows, 22 yearlings, 1 carriage and money in the bank of $145.00).
Daniel Brigham, twin son of Daniel and Thankful (Brigham) Brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $13.94. Pol tax $1.50, tax on house and 1 acre of land $11.87 and personal property of 2 cows, $6.57.
Daniel Freeman Brigham, son of Daniel and Nancy (Gates) Brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $11.00. Pol tax $1.50 and a new house with 11 acres of land $9.50.
Dennison Brigham, son of Daniel and Nacy (Gates) Brigham, was taxed in June of 1855 a sum of $20.02. Pol tax $1.50, building and land $17.10 and personal property of 2 horses and 3 cows, $1.42.
John Winslow Brigham, son of Aaron and Sally (Fay) brigham, was taxed in June 1855 a sum of $13.18. Pol tax $1.50, house and land $10.92 and personal property of 1 horse and 1 cow $0.76.