The Parish Church of St. Michael, at the end of Church
Street, is one of Helston`s principal features of interest. It was built,
at the expense of the Earl of Godolphin, in 1751-1761 to replace an earlier
structure that had been burnt down after being struck by lightning. The church
was designed by Thomas Edwards of Greenwich and the interior, with its iron
colums and gallery, strongly resembled the church of St. Alfege at Greenwich,
a church designed by Hawksmoor.
A granite porch with pilasters was added in 1830 with
a staircase up to the gallery. Other features of interest in this church include
Elizabetahn brasses in the porch; a vast brass chandelier (of 1762) with 24
branches (given by the Earl of Godolphin when the church was built) and the
original 18th century east window of coloured glass. Its replacement, at the
east end of the church, is filled by modern glass (1938) by Krugar Grey showing
two angels dancing the furry dance.
CHURCH INTERIOR 1903
Internal view of St Michael`s Church
at Harvest Festival
Photo kindly sent by Kathryn
Added 28th August 2010
War Memorial Photo kindly
sent by Kathryn Atkin
Added 15th March 2010
There are two ornate early 19th century monuments in the
church whilst in the churchyard is the garve of HENRY
TRENGROUSE, inventor of the rocket life-saving apparatus for sailors.
Trngrouse, who lived from 1772-1854, was Helston`s most famous citizen, well
acquainted with local shipwrecks and thus able to put his scientific knowledge
to a valuable and humane use.