JOHN BACH – The subject of this sketch was born in Malaga township, Sep 18 1846. His parents, John BACH, Sr., (deceased Oct 8 1862), and Christina HEIN. They settled in the county in 1840. He married in this township, Feb 3 1872, Louisa WEBER, who was born in Pittsburgh, PA, Jul 4 1850. Her parents came here in 1847. They were Thomas WEBER, who died Feb 5 1877, and Eva STOFFEL. Their children are: Lora B., Katie C. and Thomas H. Mr. BACH is a school director in subdistrict number 3, and has held that office for two years. Mr. BACH’s parents were natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. His father returned to Germany after being six years in this country, and brought over his wife. They lived in Malaga township until the spring of 1850, when they moved into Wayne township, where they resided until his death. His wife still resides there, a widow. Mrs. BACH’s parents came from Bavaria, Germany, and located in Pittsburgh, PA, where they lived about five years, then came to Summit township for one year, then to Franklin, on the farm where Mrs. WEBER now resides. John BACH is a farmer and stock-raiser. Postoffice, Swasey.
J. W. M. BROCK – is a son of Isaac A. BROCK and Elizabeth MUGG. They died in southern IL. He was born in Belmont county, Mar 11 1822, and came to Monroe county in 1828. He was married in Monroe county, Oct 9 1842, to Maria MORRIS, who was born in Greene county, PA, Jan 28 1824. Her parents were Elihu MORRIS & Mary MORRIS. The children of Mr. & Mrs. BROCK are: Elihu C., born Sep 24 1843, died Aug 9 1855; Nathaniel N., Jul 10 1845; John W., Aug 29 1850, lives in Washington county; Viola M., Jul 15 1858, died Aug 30 1858. Mr. BROCK was in the war of the rebellion, being captain of Co. D, 27th OVI. His son, N. D. BROCK, was a private of Co. C, of the 161st OVI. Mr. BROCK was chosen first lieutenant of Co. D, 27th OVI, Aug 18 1861; was promoted to captain May 15 1862. He served under General John C. Fremont in MO, under General John Pope at the capture of New Madrid, Merriwether’s Landing, and at Island Number 10. He was in the siege of Corinth in 1863; was under General Rosencranz at the battle of Iuka, Corinth and New Madrid. He then went to Memphis; from Memphis via Chattanooga to Resaca GA, and was engaged in all the battles and skirmishes from there to Atlanta GA, where he was wounded Jul 22 1864. He was there furloughed, and honorable discharged on the 6th of Oct 1864. Isaac A. BROCK, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in the year 1790, in the blockhouse where Cincinnati now stands, and had many hardships to contend with. He saw for many years the rough side of pioneer life. Captain J. W. M. BROCK at one time in the war mistook the command, and with his company charged and took a battery of six light guns from the Confederates. No better or braver soldier ever drew sword in OH than Captain BROCK. The subject of this sketch has been one of Ohio’s brave soldiers in the late war. No man stands better in the community, or is more generally esteemed by all his acquaintances. He is a resident of Franklin township. By trade he is a carpenter and joiner, but is now engaged in the mercantile line. Adress, Stafford, Monroe county, OH.
WILLIAM M. DANFORD – was born in Seneca township, Monroe county, OH, Mar 26 1848. He is a son of William & Margaret DANFORD. He was married in Marion township, Noble county, Ohio, Mar 29 1877 to Sallie A. WILSON, who was born in Belmont county, OH, Jan 13 1857. Her parents were Samuel & Eliza WILSON. The child of Mr. & Mrs. DANFORD is Carl Clyde, born 27 Jan 1879. Mrs. DANFORD’s father was a soldier in the late civil war. He was first lieutenant of Governor Johnson’s body guard for a time; afterwards participated in several of the battles of the south; then, losing his health, went to a Nashville Hospital. After partially recovering his health, spent the balance of his time as a physician in the hospital. He was honorable discharged at the close of the war, and died from an accidental gunshot wound in the ankle at Carlisle, AR in May 1879. Mr. DANFORD was a school-teacher from 1867 till 1877, keeping school in Monroe & Noble counties, and was employed fourteen terms, seven in Monroe, and seven in Noble. He taught 60 months, and had 401 different pupils in his schools. Mrs. DANFORD’s great-grandfather’s name was William PORTER, of Boston, Belmont county. Her grandfather’s name was Tilghman BRASHER, of Morristown, now deceased. Her grandmother’s name was Emily A. BRASHER, of Morristown, and now Emily A. OKEY, of Summerfield. Mr. DANFORD is a resident of Franklin township, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Address, Swasey, Monroe county, OH.
JOSEPH DRAPER – was born in VA, Mar 10 1836, and came into Monroe county in the same year. He is a son of William DRAPER and Elizabeth ANTILL, who died in 1848. They came into the county in 1836. Mr. DRAPER was married in Franklin township, Monroe county, OH, Nov 29 1863, by Rev. Richard CARTRIGHT, to Mary WEBER, who was born Sep 18 1846 in Germany. Her parents were Thomas WEBER, who died Feb 5 1877, and Eva STOFFEL. They came to Monroe county in 1847. The children of Mr. & Mrs. DRAPER are: Maggie E., born Apr 15 1866; William H., Jan 22 1868; Thomas M., Sep 11 1870. All of the children live at home. Mr. DRAPER enlisted at Stafford, OH, Aug 11 1862 in Co. F, 116th OVI, was mustered into the service at Marietta, OH, as corporal of Co. F, Oct 22 1862, by Captain Mullenburg. He went from there to a Shenandoah Valley, WV, and was engaged in the following battles: Romney, Winchester, Piedmont, Cedar Creek, Fisher’s Hill, Petersburg, Lynchburg, and other hard-fought battles, to the number of sixteen. He was under the command of General Cook, was with him at Winchester; was transferred to General Siegel’s command in the spring of 1863; served under him about four months, and was then transferred to the command of General Hunter, and was with him on the famous Hunter’s raid. After they returned from the raid, General Philip Sheridan took command of the army, and they endured all the hard fighting incident to the campaign in the valley. Mr. DRAPER was promoted to be sergeant of Co. F, Jan 16 1864. His company was transferred to the 62nd OVI in Jun 1864. He served his remaining time in that regiment. He was one of the many soldiers in our late war who was broken down in health, but he does not draw pension. He served three years, and was honorable discharged at Richmond, VA. Mr. DRAPER’s parents were among the first settlers of this township, coming here when it was a wilderness. He took up government land and went into the woods and cleared up a farm, which he still owns. He is still living, and is one of the few old pioneers that still remain. He raised a family of six children, of whom Joseph, the subject of this sketch, was the second. Mr. DRAPER is a resident of Franklin township, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Address, Swasey, Monroe county, OH.
RICHARD GIBSON – and his wife, Wilmina GIBSON, and both natives of Calvert county, MD, the former born Jan 13 1817, and the latter Feb 20 1822. Their marriage took place near Barnesville, Belmont county, OH Nov 25 1841. Their children are: John, born Sep 16 1843; S. W., Jun 23 1846, resides in Franklin township; William T., Nov 4 1848; Martha A., Feb 6 1856. John, the oldest son, enlisted in Aug 1862, joining the 92nd OVI. He was in WV the fall and part of the winter of 1862. From there he went with his regiment to Nashville, TN, where he was taken sick with measles, which settled on his lungs, causing pneumonia, from which he died Mar 10 1863. Mr. GIBSON settled in Monroe county in 1842. Her parents are Samuel & Ellen GIBSON. His wife died Mar 13 1879. Her parents are John R. & Rebecca GIBSON. Mr. GIBSON is a farmer and stock-raiser. Address, Swasey, Monroe county, OH.
WILLIAM T. GIBSON – was born in Monroe county, OH, Nov 4 1848, where he still resides, engaged in farming and stock-raising. His wife, Mary A. STARKEY, is also a native of this county, where she was born Oct 21 1853. Their marriage was solemnized Mar 13 1873, in Monroe county. Their heirs are: Rozelle, born Jun 21 1874; Clarence R., May 7 1876; Henry P., Dec 6 1877; Albert C., Mar 5 1880. William’s parents are Richard & Wilmina GIBSON. Mrs. GIBSON’s parents are Henry & Mary STARKEY. Mr. STARKEY was in the war of 1861, enlisting in Oct 1863, in the 51st OVI, serving until the close of the war. Mr. GIBSON’s postoffice address is Swasey, Monroe county, OH.
WILLIAM GIBSON – is a native of Belmont county, and came to this county in 1855. He is a son of John R. GIBSON, now dead, and Rebecca HUNT. His wife was Mattie REED, to whom he was married in Franklin township, Nov 25 1863. She was born in this township, her parents being Edward REED & Mary LEMLEY (both deceased), who came into this county in 1832. Mr. GIBSON enlisted in this township as a private soldier in Co. D., 92nd OVI, in Aug 1862. The regiment went direct to Marietta, OH. From there they went to Gallipolis, to garrison that place at the time the rebels were driving Lightburn out of the Kenawha valley. From there they made two expeditions into Virginia, and were then mustered into the service at Gallipolis, OH, Oct 7 1862, and immediately took part in an expedition under General Cox, and drove the rebel army out of the valley and beyond the Kenawha mountains. They started for Nashville Jan 7 1873 [Note by typist: probably 1863], marched to Carthage, Jun 5, left there for Murfreesboro Jun 25, and had a hard fight at Hoover’s Gap, but were victorious with large loss to the rebels. The next battle of note was a Chicamauga, Sep 19 and 20 1863. The 92nd was in Gen. Turchin’s famous charge on the evening of the 20th, in which Mr. GIBSON commanded his company, the captain being wounded early in the fight. Mr. GIBSON was promoted second-lieutenant of Co. D, Oct 29 1863. He then came home, to Monroe county, and recruited 32 men for the regiment. He was promoted, Jan 8 1864, to first-lieutenant of Co. D. He joined the regiment, Mar 1864, at Ringgold, GA, and from there went to Atlanta and participated in its capture. He commanded Co. E for six months, taking command at Atlanta. He is now a merchant of Franklin township. Address, Swasey, Monroe county, OH.
JOHN P. MARTIN – was born in Belmont county, Feb 18 1851, and settled in this county in 1869. His father, Solomon B. MARTIN, died in 1863; his mother, Delilah PILES, lives in Middleburg, Noble county. His wife, Susan HAGERMAN, daughter of Peter & Lavina CARMICHAEL HAGERMAN, was born in this county, Feb 16 1847. They were married in Stafford, Nov 24 1870. Children: William G., born Nov 5 1871, died Sep 16 1879; Eury H., Mar 3 1873, died Apr 3 1873; Emma O., Feb 6 1874; Martha F., Nov 2 1876, died Feb 28 1877; John N. Jun 28 1878. Mr. MARTIN’s wife’s great-grandfather was in the war of 1812, and her brother, James C. HAGERMAN, in the war of 1861. Mr. MARTIN is doing a good business of manufacturing wagons of all kinds, shoeing, repairing and all kinds of work in this line. Address: Stafford, Monroe county.
ALEXANDER PICKENS – son of William & Nancy ALEXANDER PICKENS, was born in Belmont county, Aug 31 1811, and settled in Summit county in 1846. He was married in Woodsfield Jul 22 1880 to Margaret SMYTH, who had her birth in Centre township, Monroe county, Dec 17 1829. Her parents, Arthur SMYTH (deceased) & Nancy HAMILTON, came into the county in 1820. Mr. PICKENS has held the office of clerk of Franklin township for one term, and held that of trustee of school lands for several years. Mrs. PICKENS had a brother, John SMYTH, who was in the late war, member of 116th OVI, served about three years, was in all the engagements of the regiment, and was honorable discharged at the close of the war. Mr. William PICKENS, father of Alexander, came from Campbleton, Scotland, when a young man, after learning his trade of cabinet maker, and located at Philadelphia. After two years he went to York PA, where he married Nancy, daughter of James ALEXANDER. About 1790 he bought, at the Pittsburgh sales, land in Belmont county, OH, and settled on it the following year. The settlement was known as Scotch Ridge. In 1794 Mr. PICKENS’s father also located on Scotch Ridge, while Belmont county was still a territory, and built a saw-mill on Little Short creek. He raised nine children, five sons and four daughters, of whom Alexander was the fifth son. The old farm, taken up in 1796, is still in the family, owned by John C., the 4th son. Mr. Alexander PICKENS spent part of his early life trading prior to settling in Franklin township. Mrs. PICKENS’ family were among the very early settler. Business, farming and stock-raising. Postoffice, Swasey.
GEORGE REED – is a farmer and stock-raiser of Franklin township. He was born in Monroe county, OH, Aug 25 1820. He was married Mar 25 1857, to Hannah R. RODECKER, who was born in Fayette county, PA Jun 7 1835. Their children are: John W., born Aug 11 1858; Martha J., Apr 3 1860; Asa McClelland, Feb 3 1862; Frank, Oct 11 1864; William, Sep 12 1866; Joseph, May 25 1868; George, May 15 1870; Emily, Jan 10 1872; Mary, Apr 25 1876; James A., Jul 20 1878; Forest H., May 5 1879. Edward REED, father of the subject of this sketch, was a native of Greene county, PA. When a young man he enlisted in the war of 1812, in which he served some time. After the war he settled in Belmont county, at the mouth of Captina creek. He then married Mary, daughter of George LEMLEY. About the year 1820 he came to Monroe county – that which is now Greene township – he lived there 12 years and removed to Franklin township, where he purchased a large tract of land, which he cleared up and improved. He had a family of three sons and six daughters, of whom George was the second son; he gathered together a liberal supply of this world’s goods, and lived to a good old age to reap the benefit thereof. He was one of the hardy men who came into Monroe county at an early date, and helped lay the foundation to make this beautiful county what it is today. Address Mr. REED at Swasey, Monroe county, OH.
THOMAS WILSON – is a farmer and dealer in stock. Postoffice, Stafford. His father, William WILSON, settled in this county in 1817; his mother was Mary HUPP. He was born in Franklin township, Dec 11 1836; was married here, Apr 30 1858, to Rachel HANNAH, born in Guernsey county, Apr 1 1836, daughter of John & Elizabeth PIERCE HANNAH. Mr. WILSON has held several offices in this township, and has been a justice of the peace for 15 years. In the late war he enlisted as second lieutenant, was mustered as captain of Co. K, 92nd OVI, in 1862; mustered out by reason of disability, Jul 1863. His brother, William B., was a member of Co. D, 92nd OVI; was in the battle of Resaca and all the service to finish of the war. Mr. WILSON’s grandfather, William WILSON, settled on the clear fork of the Little Muskingum river, in 1817, then a wilderness. He and a few others organized a church, Methodist Episcopal, and built a log meeting-house, on the site of the present beautiful edifice known as the Southerland church. William WILSON (father of the subject of this sketch) and his brother Thomas, still live on the lands their father settled upon nearly 70 years ago. Both are hearty old gentlemen, true types of the earlier settlers of this country. Mr. Thomas WILSON has been for six years a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Transcribed by Dr. Shirley A. Harmon, e-mail: Shirley Harmon