Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

This is part 1 of 5 (pages 1 through 10) of the segmented version of this book

Click a number to go to that part of the book:   2,   3,   4,   5

 

Click here to go to the “Whole Book” version of this book.  For more details about the Whole Book and Segmented Book versions of this book, see the Background and Editorial Notes

 

 

THE ONE ROOM SCHOOLS OF MONROE COUNTY, OHIO – 1808 - 1957

 

(Click here for Background and Editorial Notes)

 

 

 

Cover page for the above titled book

 

 

 

Dedicated to those one-room

teachers who felt that the

real object of education

is to give children

resources that will endure

as long as life endures.

 

Page 1

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

MONROE COUNTY RETIRED TEACHERS 1975-76

 

Howard Blattler

Lorena Miller

Marie Brague

Ivin Miracle

Josie Burkhalter

Lulu Miracle

Alvie Burns

Roy Miracle

A. A. Byers

Mildred Miracle

Harold Christman

Eula McGary

Helma Christman

Mildred McHugh

Harold Cline

Helen McMahon

Kathryn Cline

Joe Newman

Gladys Cox

Agnes Norris

Woodrow Crum

Mary Norris

Wilda DeWitt

Ethel Pfalzgraf

Annie Laurie Drum

Laura Pfalzgraf

Glenn Dye (deceased)

Glenn Piatt

Helen Dye

Vera Polen

Wilbert Franks

Henry Prichard

Florence Grimes

Elaine Rea

Marie Grimes

Delphene Reef

Vernon Hamilton

Ray Ring

Elsa Harper

Hazel Rohr

Eleanor Haudenschield

Victor Salisbury

Graydon Haudenschield

Marie Schumacher

Lilliam Hawkins

I. F. Shafer

Clyde Hawkins (deceased)

Virginia Stahl

Freda Hayes

Zelma Steed

Anna Heckler

Harry Straight

Bernice Hendershot

I. M. Straight

Irene Hendershot

Goldia Straight

Ella Herriman

Elizabeth Thomas

David Highman

Esther Thompson

Jay Highman

Harold Thompson

Flora Hagan

Marie Thompson

Sylvia Jackson

Lucille Traylor

Laura Jolliffe

Bessie Tubaugh

Harold Kinney

Blanche Tubaugh

Viola Kinney

Esther Tubaugh

Edith Kirkman

Harry Ullman

Nedra LaCroix

Edna Ullman

Lester Lehman

Lena Walter

Marie Lehman

Warren Winland

Susie Mallett

Gladys Winland

Nettle Martin

Harriett Zesiger

 

Other retirees (not members) who have requested that their name be listed in our booklet are:

 

Amelia Eddy

Mary (Luedy) Jackson

Mildred Frieden

Arthur Willison

Elsie Hanna

Dorothy Willison

 

 

Page 2

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

 

OFFICERS OF MONROE COUNTY CHAPTER

RETIRED TEACHERS ASSOCIATION 1975-1976

 

 

Harry Straight, President; Glen Piatt, Vice President; Marie Thompson, Secretary-Treasurer; I. M. Straight, Legislation; Annie Laurie Drum, Membership; Henry Prichard, Program; Vernon Hamilton, Housing; Mary Norris, Community Affairs; Roy Miracle, Protective Services; Virginia Stahl, Education; Lester Lehman, Bicentennial; Harold Thompson, Past President.

 

 

The above officers, under the chairmanship of Lester Lehman, are responsible for this booklet - "History of Monroe County One Room Schools." However, this booklet has been a project of the entire membership of this association. We want to sincerely thank anyone who has contributed material or information for the book.

 

As President of the Monroe County Retired Teachers Association (1975-76) I want to thank all the officers and members for the excellent cooperation, fellowship, suggestions and encouragement that they have given to me for the past two years. It has been an enjoyable experience for me.

 

HARRY STRAIGHT

President

 

Page 3

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

INTRODUCTION

 

By Lester Lehman

 

"No longer sits the schoolhouse by the road", even the blackberry vines that crept nearer and nearer the subject of the poet's childhood memories no longer mark the spot where the rural school once stood. The memory of these buildings which once dotted our countryside, becomes increasingly dim with each passing generation.

Many of our retired teachers recall these vividly for it was very likely they once attended one of these as a student and in the case of many, a great portion of their teaching career was spent within the walls of one or more of these structures.

With the success of the American Revolution Americans embarked upon a new experiment in government: a government of; by, and for the people. This would require a literate voting population and as early as 1785 when the Northwest Land Ordinance was passed provisions were made to provide means of education for those who would become residents of this great mass of land known as the Northwest Territory. For these rural people the one room school was the answer. Modern educators are too often

prone to amplify their shortcomings and pass over their merits too lightly, yet the desired position that our nation holds among the peoples of the world is ample evidence schools taught well. It was from these simple institutions that Lincoln's call for volunteers who were to march to Gettysburg and Appomattox was filled. In the half century that followed it was these schools

that supplied the men and women who would dam our rivers, build our railroads, write our books, and transform this sprawling rural countryside into the greatest industrial nation the world has ever seen.

In 1917 when the Kaiser's war machine seemed to spell the very annihilation of Europe these institutions supplied "the American doughboy" who was determined to do his bit to "make the world safe for democracy." Again in 1941 when the security of all peace loving people was again in jeopardy, young men and women largely educated in these simple buildings

were to be found in every corner of the world determined that the freedoms we hold so dear should become the inherent right of all.

Today the rural school is no more. Much as the flint lock rifle, the spinning wheel or the covered wagon, it has served its purpose and has given way to a more advanced and complicated system which is with us today. Only occasionally is one found and then likely used as a storehouse or perhaps gathering dust in a museum, or existing in the memory of an older generation of a way of life now past and gone. It is for this reason that this listing of rural and village schools which once existed in our county has been undertaken.

Their position began to deteriorate with the advent of the improved road and the internal combustion engine in areas where road building was more simple and less costly than in Monroe County erosion took place much earlier. The decade between 1925 and 1935 marked the closing of most of the rural schools in this county beginning first along our best highways. With the construction of Route 7 schools along and adjacent to it were consolidated, with the same pattern following the building of Routes 8, 78, 556 and 536. Only the more remote remained open and these only until some form of improved road made consolidation possible. In Switzer Township the school once known as Mount Vernon remains being used as a polling place and meeting hall for the township trustees. The Switzer School in the same township had been used as a storage place for township machinery until this spring when it was torn down and replaced with a larger building. In Salem Township the Valley School had long been used as a church building. It remains but is no longer in use and its days are numbered, and so throughout

the county here and there one may be found.

The rural school has played a conspicuous part in the history of our county, our state, and our nation. We retired teachers were a part of that history. It was here that we taught. It was here that we made our contribution to another generation ot God's people. We are grateful for the opportunity we have had, and are proud of the boys and girls we have taught. It is our hope that the heritage we received has been transmitted to our successors a bit richer.

Much effort has gone into the perfecting of this list and to those who have been responsible we give our sincere thanks. Our sources of information have been confined to the memory of those who once knew of the locations of these buildings and the information coming to us from Caldwell's Atlas of Monroe County. No doubt our list is incomplete. If anyone reading this has knowledge of any school not appearing on this list we would be glad to have the information to add at a later date.

 

Page 4

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

ADAMS TOWNSHIP

 

MELLOTT RIDGE - This school building still stands and is used as a meeting house by a small congregation of the Church of Christ. At least two buildings stood on this site which is about 2 ½  miles from Cameron on County Road 231. The school was closed in 1937 and the pupils attended Cameron School. The last teacher there was Clarence Gates. Others were: John Pfalzgraf, Marjorie Bierie Webb, and Paul Turner.

 

WEEKLY - This school was abandoned about 1883 and 1884. It was located on Township Road 168 in Section 25. The land on which it once stood is now owned by George Visnic. This school was replaced by Center School. A small cemetery still marks the spot where this building once stood.

 

CENTER - This building was located in section 32 on Township Road 152 near the junction of Township Roads 152 and 167. Teachers known to have taught there were: Jacob Pfalzgraf, Samuel Pfalzgraf, John Pfalzgraf, Fred Pfalzgraf, T. T. Gillispie, Guy McKelvey, and Vernon Sumption.

 

DEMOCRACY - Democracy School stood at the junction of County Road 30 and Township Road 454 about one mile south of Altitude or about 6 miles west of Cameron and about 6 miles east of Woodsfield. The ground on which it once stood is presently owned by Dorothy Walton. It closed about 1927 and was the first attempt at consolidation in Adams Township and probably one of the first in Monroe County. James McCaslin was hired to transport the pupils to Fairfax. Teachers known to have taught there were: Guy McKelvey, Daisy Keevert Ward, and the Kiedash Sisters.

 

FAIRFAX - This building was located on what is now State Route 78 in section 29 on soil now owned by Stanley Ault. The building was moved and fashioned into a dwelling now owned by Bob Ollom. This was one of three school buildings that stood in the immediate vicinity. This building ceased to operate as a school about 1932-33. Teachers known to have taught there were: Jacob. Samuel, John, Fred Pfalzgraf.

 

MINOR - On County Road 29 about 3 miles west of Cameron. The ground on which it once stood is presently owned by the S. E. Pfalzgraf heirs. This was on Sunfish Creek and closed about 1880.

 

BRACEY - This building stood at what was once known as Bracey's Mills which was near the junction of Piney Creek and Sunfish Creek. The school seems to have gone out of existence with the mill. This is believed to be about 1880.

 

DEWEY - This one room school was located on State Route 26 on the farm presently owned by James Lindamood. At least three different buildings were built on this location which is approximately nine miles north of Woodsfield or three miles south of Ozark. It closed about 1935 or 36. It was said to generally have been taught by a member of the Gallagher Family.

 

CAMERON - The village of Cameron can boast of at least four school buildings since it was first laid out by James Atkinson in the year of 1837. The first being a log structure located near the old pioneer cemetery on land donated by Mr. Stephen Atkinson. This was a one room log structure and was replaced by a two room building on ground donated by George Suppes at the damsite' on Sunfish Creek near Suppes Mills almost directly east of the Pfalzgraf Store and post office. The village at this time was known as Jamestown having received its name by James Atkinson who first laid out the town. This building is still in existence having been converted into a home and is now occupied by Howard Hickman. In 1887 a new two room brick building was built on the site of the present building. Between 1924 and 1932 this building was also used as a high school. In 1939 the rooms were divided and became a four room building. Teachers of the high

school who are known to have taught there were: Cephus Stevens, Forrest Gutherie and Parcel Mallett. Some of the grade teachers who have taught there were: Pearl Treiber Kimpel, Clara McCoy, Margaret Wallace Hartline, Florence Hickman, Helen Pfalzgraf, Elaine Rea, Raymond Straight, David Highman, Brady Hines, Ethel Staib Pfalzgraf. Mrs. Ivan Miracle. Charles Ward, and Herman Bough.

In addition, Albert Ward, conducted two special classes there for a long period of time, possibly as much as twenty years. One class was in Spencerian writing and the other in pedagogy. This class was primarily directed at preparing teachers for the Boxwell examination, which if passed successfully would qualify them for certification as teachers. This venture had the blessing of the school examiners of the county and represents one of the earliest attempts at teacher training in Monroe County and possibly in the state as well.

Written by Lester Lehman

 

Page 5

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

BENTON TOWNSHIP

 

Early History Prior to 1900

In 1813 the first school was taught by Henry Bower in a small log cabin in section 20. Another school was taught in 1815 in a log cabin on the land owned by Isaac M. Cline. The teacher was Wm. Knight. This location was along Muskingum Creek which was later known as Jericho Community.

Benton Township it bound on the west by Washington Township, on the north by Perry Township, on the east by Jackson and on the south by Washington County. Before 1900 there were six schools in Benton Township which were as follows: Pine Ridge No. 1; Trail Run No. 2, this was changed to No. 4 in 1817; Oak Grove No. 3; Brownsville Exempted Village No. 4

and in 1920 changed to No. 6; Pine Knob No. 5 later becoming No. 2; Jericho No. 6 later to become No. 5. Trail Run first known as No. 2 and later to become No. 4 was located in Section 2 along the Trail Run Stream on Route 800 south of Antioch. In 1908 the ground was sold from Joseph Hanna Hill to Chris Busche. In 1914 the school building was moved across the road on the Thomas Carson lot. In 1929 the school was discontinued and the building torn down in 1930 and sold to Everett Dimit.  The following teachers taught at Trail Run:

 

1901 - 02   O. A. Bonar

1902 - 03   Jacob C. Woods (6 mo. $180.)

1903 - 05   J. L Meeker (6 mo.)

1905 - 06   Louis Schweickhardt

1906 - 08   C. E. Havener ($40.00)

1908 - 09   C. E. Havener

1909 - 10   J W. Lallathin -- Lallathin Resigned

1910 - 11   J. E. Fankhaurer

1911 - 12   S. E. Cline (8 mo.)

1912 - 13   Chalmer D. Brown

1914 - 16   Minnie Hubacher

1916 - 17   Edith Stewart

1917 - 18   Perlie Briggs

1918 - 19   Mollie Ridgewav

1919 - 20   Lucy Lentz

1920 - 21   Glen Miller

1921 - 22   RachelWilliamson (1 mo.) - Glen Dye

1922 - 23   William Rosenlieb

1923 - 24   A. V. Newhouse

1924 - 26   Inez Lash

1926 - 28   Glen Dye

1928 - 29   Arthur Lash

1919 - School Discontinued

 

Pine Ridge No. 1 was located in Section 12 approximately 1¼  miles from Route 800 between Trail Run and Brownsville. Around 1900 the land was owned by Henry Busche now owned by Charles Taylor. In 1935 this school was discontinued and the building was moved to Brownsville to make a two room building there. The following teachers taught at

Pine Ridge:

 

1901 - 02   C. E. Hurd

1902 - 03   Evart Pool  ($30. per mo.)

1903 - 04   Evart Poole

1904 - 05   Sam Weddle & Charles Eisenbarth

1905 - 06   H. A. Claugus (8 mo.)

1906 - 07   H. A. Claugus

1907 - 08   C. E. Havener

1908 - 09   E. P. Lovett ($40. per mo.)

1909 - 10   Florence Folqer

1910 - 11   Lou Bottenfield

1911 - 12   Lou Bottenfleld (Resigned) Cora Henthorne

1912 - 13   J. H. Hickenbotham

1913 - 14   Eska Eikelberry

1914 - 15   Pearl Henthorne

1915 - 16   Ida Stine

1916 - 18   Rachel Williamson

1918 - 19   Lizette Amos

1919 - 20   Rachel Williamson

1920 - 21   Laura Busche

1921 - 22   W. E. Rosenleib

1922 - 23   Zelda Black

1923 - 24   Helen Cain

1924 - 25   Arthur Lash

1925 - 26   Lois Dye

1926 - 28   Albert Stacy

1928 - 31   Delbert Hensel

1931 - 33 Kermit Cline

1933 - 35 Helen McHuoh

School Was Now Discontinued.

 

Page 6

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

OAK GROVE SCHOOL

 

This school was better known as "Mudsock" and was located on John Allen farm now owned by the U. S. government.  In 1923 this school was discontinued and in 1926 the building was moved to Brownsville to be used for grades 18 while high school was held in the Brownsville building. Teachers were as follows:

 

1900 - 01   C. Bolen $25. per mo.

1903 - 02   Lione Muff man ($30 per mo. 4 mo.)

1902 - 03   G. W. Stewart

1903 - 05   Henry Claugus

1905 - 07   Charles Henderson

1907 - 08   Cleo Gregg

1908 - 10   S. E. Cline

1910 - 13   Edith Stewart

1913 - 14   Minnie Hubacher

1914 - 15   Ida Stine

1915 - 16   Beulah Lowman

1916 - 19   Marie Petty

1919 - 20   Anna Harrington

1920 - 21   Emma Miller

1921 - 22   Edith Ring.  (School Closed)

 

PINE KNOB

 

Pine Knob No. 5 and later No. 2 was located on the Benjamin Dye Farm. later owned by his grandson Glen Dye who sold it to Frank Ball. the present owner. This schoolhouse was built in 1902. The contract for the stone work was given to Sol Cline for $44.50 and building the house to George Buegel for $569.00. This location is on Dye Ridge in section 36 on a hill above Muskingum Creek.  Frank Ball is erecting a unique "Dome House" on the format Pine Knob Sthool site.  The following teachers taught at Pine Knob:

 

1901 - 02   James Crawford

1902 - 03   Ella McCaslin (4 mo., $120.00)

1903    Summer (2 mo.)

1903 - 04   Samuel Waddle (4 mo.)

1904    Summer (2 mo.) Samuel Weddle

1904 - 05   Ella McCaslin (8 mo., $300.00)

1905 - 07   Gilbert Pool

1907 - 08   Samuel Waddle

1908 - 09   Everett Ring ($40. per mo.)

1909 - 11   Everett Ring

1911 - 13   David Hill

1913 - 14   Alvie Eisenbarth

1914 - 16   Jennie Cline

1916 - 18   Vera Taylor

1918 - 19   B. F. Dye (Glen's father)

1919 - 20   Samuel Weddle

1920 - 21   Glen Dye ($75.80 per mo.)

1921 - 22   Orlando Moore

1922 - 23   Glen Dye

1923 - 26   Zelda Black ($100. per mo.)

1926 - 27   Lois Dye

1927 - 28   Gladys Scales

1928 - 29   Zelda Black

1929 - 32   Glen Dye

1932 - 33   Helen McHugh

1933 - 36   Kermit Cline

1936 - 40   Ray Ring

1940 - 41   Franklin Dye

In 1941 the school was discontinued and the pupils were transported to Brownsville School.

 

Page 7

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

JERICHO SCHOOL

 

The Jericho School build in 1900 is located in Section 26 close to the Muskingum Creek. In 1900 it was on the H. A. Williamson farm, later the ground was owned by Andrew Cline and presently by Ellis Rine. The Jericho is the only one room school still standing in Benton Township. It can be seen from Route 12, the Brownsville Graysville Road. The following teachers taught there:

 

1901 - 03   A. W. Kellar

1903 - 04   I. Thornberrv

1904 - 05   George Smith

1905 - 08   Clyde Steele

1908 - 09   Issac Dye

1909 - 10   Ina W. Cline (mother of Mrs. Glen Dye)

1910 - 11   Everett Cline

1911 - 12   Everett Ring

1912 - 13   Vivian Reed

1918 - 19   Rachel Wiiliamson

1919 - 21   Orlando Moore

1921 - 22   Zelda Black

1922 - 23   Orlando Moore

1923 - 24   Violet Scarborough

1924 - 26   Glen Dye

1926 - 27   Gladys Bell West

1927 - 28   Zelda Black

1928 - 30   Kermit Cline

1930 - 32   Helen McHugh

1932 - 36   Roy Ring

1936 - 39   Kermit Cline

1939        School Closed and Pupils Transported To Brownsville.

 

BROWNSVILLE SCHOOL

 

The Brownsville School was classified as an Exempted Village School No. 4 from 1900 -1920. In August of 1920 the Brownsville Exempted Village School Board combined with the Benton Township School Board as Brownsville School No. 6. A new schoolhouse was built in 1912 to replace the old house destroyed by a cyclone. The new building was a one story

26 x 30 foot structure. The contract to build was given to I. O. Swallow for $650.00 and an additional $200.00 for the annexed townhouse. It was voted that labor was not to exceed $2.00 per day for tearing down the old building. When the school was closed in 1964, the building was sold to Glen Dye who later sold it to Eugene Winland. He made the building into a garage. In 1959 the Benton Township School District became a part of the River Local District. In 1964 the Brownsville and Antioch Schools were consolidated to form the New Midway School on Route 800 south of Antioch.

The following were Brownsville teachers:

 

1901 - 02   Miranda Wilson (6 mo., $180.)

1902   Miranda Wilson (2 mo. summer, $22.50 per mo.)

1902 - 04   Miranda Wilson (6 mo., $30. per mo.)

1904 - 09   Miranda Wilson (8 mo. $40.00 per mo.)

1909 - 11   E. P. Lovett ($30. per mo.)

1911 - 12   Daisy Hupp

1912 - 13   E. P. Lovett

1913 - 20   Miranda Wilson (1915 $45. per mo., 1917 $50., 1920 $60.)

1920 - 21   Rachel Williamson 1$75.80 per mo.)

1921 - 22   Emma Miller 1$76.80 per mo.)

1922 - 26   Miranda Wilson (~96. per mo.)

1926 - 27   Harry Murphy

1927 - 28   Arthur Lash

1928 - 29   Glen Dye

1929 - 31   Herman Each

1931 - 32   Ray Ring

1932 - 35   Glen Dye

1935 - 39   Glen Dye, Gr. 5-6-7-8 -- Helen McHugh Gr. 1-2-34.

1939 - 40   Glen Dye 7 & 8; Kermit Cline 4-5-6; Helen McHugh 1-2-3.

1940 - 44   Glen Dye 7 & 8; Ray Ring 4-5-6; Helen McHugh 1-2-3.

1944 - 48   Glen Dye 5-6-7-8; Helen McHugh 1-2-3-4.

1948 - 51   Mary Pryer 5-6-7-8; Helen Dye 1-2-3-4.

1951 - 64   Glen Dye 5-6-7-8; Helen Dye 1-2-3-4.

1964   Brownsville consolidated with Antioch at Midway.

1926 - 29 A two year high school at Brownsville with Inez Lash as teacher.

 

Page 8

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

After Brownsville School became a part of River Local School District special music teachers came to the school for the first time in Benton Township. Connie Graham was the vocal teacher and Van Morris the instrumental. Morris soon had each student in grades 5. 6. 7 & 8 playing in the cadet band (19). Glen Dye provided instruments for those students unable to buy their own. There was never an inside bathroom in any Benton Township School nor any school lunches ever served.  Glen Dye taught 44 years in Benton Township. Helen (McHugh) Dye taught 34 years and 29 of these were consecutive in Brownsville. Miranda Wilson taught 18 years in Brownsville; Kermit Cline 10 years in Benton Township and Ray Ring 14 years in Benton Township.

 

1901   W. C. Pool   $30. plus $3.00 per trip

1901 - 02   J. A. Hendershot $15.

1902 - 12   I. O. Swallow   $20

1912 - 14   J. I. Travis

1914 - 15   A.E. Hall

1915 - 18   I. 0. Swallow

1918 - 28   F. L. Buegel (1926  $125 per year)

1928 - 30   Waiter Cline

1930 - 32   J. F. McHugh

1932 - 38   F. L. Buegel (12 mo. $85) 

1938 - 40   J. F. McHugh

1940 - 47   F. L. Buegel    (deceased)

1947 - 48   Wm. Buegel ( Son of F. L. deceased)

1948 - 57   Earl Ring

1957 - 59   Harold Hensel until consolidated with River Local District.

 

Special recognition was given to the following:

Earl Ring               9 years of service

I.  O. Swallow       13 years of service

F. L. Buegel          23 years of service

 

 

TOWNSHIP CLERKS OF BENTON TWP SCHOOL BOARD

 

1901 - David McCaslin

     James Ridgeway (Pres.)

     James Ridgeway  3

     Walt Ring

     George Stacy  5

     Wm. Dimit

     Issac Eikelberry   6 (Pres.)

1920 - 21 J. F. McHugh

1901 - 02 Henry Busche   1

     Wm. Langsdorf

     Henry Waiter  2

     James Ridgway. (Pres.)

     James Ridgeway  3

     Walt Ring

     George Stacy  5

     Wm. Dimit

     Issac Eikelberry (Pres.)

1922 - 23 James Ridgway (Pres.)

1903 - 04 Henry Busche   1  (Pres.)

     James McHugh

     Henry Waiters  2

     Walt Ring

     James Ridgeway  3

     George Travis

     Joshua Dye   5

     Joe Buegel

     Jasper Eikelberry 6

1924 - 25 James McHugh (Pres.)

1905 - 1916 Wm. Langsdorf

     Wm. Busche. (V. Pres. )

     Henry Deist  J.F.Lori 1909

     Geo. Travis

     James Ridgeway  3 (Pres.)

     Walt Ring

     Wm. Ridgeway 1914 -1915

     J. A. Buegel

     George Stacy  5 (Pres.)

1926 - 27 James McHugh, Pres.

     Marsahll Cline    6

     Joe Buegel

1916 - 17 Wm. Langsdorf   1  (Pres.)

     James Ridgway

     J. I. Moore  2

     Wm. Busche

     James Ridgway  3 (Pres.)

     Forrest Dye (Resigned)

     Walt Ring   (Pres.)

     Walt Ring (Replacement)

     George Stacy  5

1928 - 29 Joe Buegel (Pres.)

     F. L. Buegel

     James Ridgway

     Marshall Cline   6

     James McHugh (Pres. 29)

1918 - 19 Wm. Langsdorf

     Walt Ring

     D. W. Petty

     Wm. Dimit

 

[Transcriber’s note:  It is not clear what the numbers mean following the name.  They have been included here since they appear in the printed book.]

 

Page 9

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

 

(Cont’d from page 9)

 

1930 - 31 Wm. Dimit (Pres.)

1940 - 41 A. E. Hall (Pres.)

     James Ridgeway

     Jay Vanwy

     Roy Travis, (V. Prer)

     W. G. Hill

     Wm. Busche

     Wm. Dimit

     James McHugh, (Clerk)

     James Ridgway (Dec. Feb. 41)

1932 - 33 James Ridgway, (Pres.)

     Clarence Schwaben

     Roy Travb (V.P.)

1942 - 43 John W. Buegel (Pres.)

     Wm. Busche

     Ernest Ring (V.P.)

     John Stacy

     W. G. Hill

     Frank Ring

     Jay Vanwy

1934 - 37 A. E. Hall (Pres.)

     Harry Cline

     John Stacy

1944 - 45 John W. Buegel (Pres.)

     Denver Rosanleib (Resigned)

     Emest Ring (V.P.)

     Frank Ring

     Wm. Schmidt

     Earl Ring

     Carl Schmidt

     Wm. Dimit (V.P.)

     Roy Travis

     F. L. Buegel

1946 - 47 Wm. Schmidt (Pres.)

1938 - 39 Austin Hall (Pres.)

     Carl Schmidt (V.P.)

     Earl Ring (V. P. )

     Denver Rosenleib

     Wm. Dimit

     Ernest Ring

     James Ridgway

     Roy Travis (Resigned)

     John Stacy

     Harold Hensel (Replacement)

 

1948 - 49 Denver Rosenlieb (Pres.)

 

     Carl Schmidt (V.P.)

 

     Emest Ring

 

     Harold Hensel

 

     Raymond Busche

 

 

 

Recognition for terms of Board Members were:

 

George Stacy             

15 years

James McHugh           

12 years

Marshall Cline              

13 years

Wm. Langsdorf        

17 years

Walt Ring                 

13 years

Wm. Dimit           

16 years

James Ridgway           

35 years

 

 

Written by Helena McHugh Dye

 

BETHEL TOWNSHIP ONE-ROOM SCHOOLS

 

Bethel Hall

Clift

Little Injun

Lebanon

Smithberger No. I

Sycamore Valley

Unger

Whitten

Bethel High School at Marr.

 

 

Thanks to Bernice Hendershot for calling in these schools

 

Page 10

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

Click here to go to Part 2 of 5 (Pages 11 through 22)

Click a number to go to that part of the book:   2,   3,   4,   5

(Click here for Background and Editorial Notes)

Click on one of the following to return to:

Click here for the Short-Cut Table of Contents