Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Early Photos of Miller, Hand County, South Dakota
~ ~ ~ #4~ ~ ~
Hand County Courthouse
Miller, South Dakota
(Circa 1889)
Athough temporary, this was known as "The Old Courthouse"
 
 
 
 
Original, temporary courthouse for Hand County, South Dakota. This structure was constructed in 1889 by Miller pioneers, J.C. Yetzer and A.D. Hill, to fulfill a pledge to voters by the town. This building was located on the corner of Broadway and W. 4th St. A block of ground to the west was donated by the town on which a larger courthouse was built a year later.

This building was then used as a Baptist church, Knights of Pythias and Pythiah Sisters meeting hall, school house, and residence.  In 1955 the building was razed.

Photo scanned from Bring On The Pioneers - by Scott Heidpriem - used with permission.)
 
 
 
 
Hand County Courthouse
Miller, South Dakota
(Circa 1890)
Couthouse Number 2
Hand County Courthouse #2, constructed in 1890. This brick veneered structure, along with the jailhouse shown in back, stood where their present counterparts stand on West 4th St. This courthouse was in use for 36 years until replaced in 1926 by the present courhouse, at a cost of $200,000.

Note: The "Jailhouse" shown, was later moved, with porch removed, to E. 5th street where it later became the home of the Clarence and Martha Rosemore family.

(Photo scanned from Bring On The Pioneers - by Scott Heidpriem - used with permission.)
Hand County Courthouse
Miller, South Dakota
(Circa 1926)
Couthouse Number 3
Hand County Courthouse
Miller, South Dakota
(Circa 1926)
Couthouse Number 3
Current Hand County Courthouse - shown on the corner of West 4th Street and facing east on West 1st Avenue, Miller, South Dakota. Built in 1926 at a cost of $200,000.
Hand County Courthouse, Miller, South Dakota
This page was last modified by Carolyn S. Rosemore 19 Sep 2002
 
CSR
 
 
Another view of 1926-built Hand County Courthouse - Miller, South Dakota
Viewed from south side
Hand County Courthouse - Miller, South Dakota
Facing W. 1st Ave.
Q: Anyone remember when those poster-signs were sitting along the sidewalk?  50's? 60's?  csr
 
 
Hand County Courthouse, Jail (no longer in use), new Courtyard Villa (Assisted Living Center)
Miller, South Dakota
2002