NW 1/4 of 17
Hand County, SD
Beulah Cemetery SD Hand cemetery 443622N 0984822W Miller NE
Beulah Cemetery & Church History
Hand County, South Dakota
From Scott Heidepriem's BRING ON THE PIONEERS ©1978 - used with his permission.
Beulah Community Church
A group of thirty-seven farmers met in Robert Conkey's new granary building on August 29, 1886 for the purpose of organizing a church.
Mr. Pomeroy, a Presbyterian missionary had just organized a Presbyterian church in Miller and was now called upon to help organize this one. He also served as minister until April 1887 when Mr. M.E. Chapin was engaged to serve both Beulah and Howell churches for one year at a salary of $700.
While the Beulah church was being constructed during the summer of 1886, services were held in the granary. The newly built church was dedicated with special services on November 27, 1886. A house was purchased in 1887 and moved to the grounds for use as a parsonage.
Mary Jane Jones and Edith Matilda Jones were the first babies baptized by H.P. Corse in 1890. Barton Douglas was the first adult baptized, March 4, 1888. Evan Allen Jones was received in membership on March 4, 1888.
Beulah Church was known as the Beulah Presbyterian Church until April 22, 1897 when it left the Presbyterian Synod and joined the Congregational denomination. It remained Congregational until 1928, when Reverend Cleveland reorganized, and it became a Community church.
The church was closed from the mid 1930's until it was reopened in 1948. A Sunday School was organized and a church board formed.
Clement Jones, son of Eldon and Blanche (Wade) Jones, was killed during WWII. A pulpit was dedicated in his memory in 1953.
The 75th Anniversary of Beulah Church was celebrated August 6, 1961.
Maxon Conkey and Linda Bell were married on December 11, 1970 - the only wedding on record of Beulah church.
During the 1950's and 1960's, several improvements were made; new carpeting was installed, a piano light and electric clock were obtained from memorials of those who had passed away; the ceiling was lowered and inside walls were paneled, the roof was shingled and a new gate was placed at the Beulah Cemetery entrance across the road to the north of the church.
The last service was held June 29, 1975 at the 50th wedding anniversary of Mr. & Mrs. Harold Carr with about 80 people in attendance.
Beulah Church - closed June 29, 1975
Photo by Carolyn S. Rosemore - October 1, 2001
North of Beulah Church at 369 Ave & 192 St
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids