Mikado / Victory Theater was located on the north side of
Easton Avenue, just east of Hodiamont Avenue in the Wellston
business area. The address was 5951 Easton Avenue (today Dr.
Martin Luther King Drive., St. Louis, MO 63133
The O. T. Crawford chain built the Mikado theater in
1911, the architect was F. A. Duggan. The Original Japanese
design seated 1608, including the balcony. The
building was completely redesigned in 1939 in a
modern art deco design. Fire regulations, wider seats, and
aisles reduced seating capacity to 1103. The newly
modernized Mikado added a permanent marquee projecting over
In December 1941, WWII began. In many cities a
theater named Mikado (a dated term for "Emperor of Japan")
would be renamed. The Mikado was renamed the Victory theater
in February, 1942.
The Victory closed in the early 60s. The building was
then used as a church. The building does not exist today.