Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
 

Wellston, Missouri      So Close to Eden

Introduction:

Before the "Vikings" were selected as the team name for Normandy High School, in St. Louis County,  before there was a community called Normandy, Missouri, before there was a Lucas and Hunt Road; there was a junction of Hunt Road and St. Charles Rock Road. 

In 1883 A college was constructed on 19 acres there, and it was called Eden College and Theological Seminary.


Click image to enlarge

Read a bit about  Eden College below, an then we will explore our community, the Metropolitan area of Wellston, Missouri.   (NOTE: Wells Station was the center of our universe in 1883)

" History
Eden Theological Seminary was established in the summer of 1850 at Marthasville, Missouri. In 1883, the Seminary moved to Wellston, Missouri, on the outskirts of Saint Louis, where it acquired its present name, Eden. In 1924, another relocation brought the Seminary to its present location in Webster Groves, Missouri.
  Accreditation

Eden is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. Eden is approved by the University Senate of the United Methodist Church to prepare United Methodist students for ordained ministry.
  Students
One of the seven seminaries of the United Church of Christ, Eden is ecumenically inclusive. Eden currently has more than 200 students enrolled in both degree and non-degree programs. Edenís student body represents a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds and 18 denominations including the UCC, UMC, Presbyterian Church (USA), American Baptist, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Roman Catholic and the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church."  http://www.eden.edu/     and        http://www.eden.edu/index.php/eden-at-a-glance/


Now this story is not about School events,  but  .... Since most of us have walked the walk on the grounds of what was Eden college.... We can drop in a little bit of Trojans vs Viking memories.

From our Wellston High School memories,  there was THE GREAT annual end of season football game with Normandy, where because of the sheer size difference between the two schools, they stomped us almost every year. 

We usually had the homecoming dance and a big pep rally before the big game with the big school.

We would decorate our cars, have a noisy pep rally, and memories to keep forever.

Normandy, with it's colossal Gymnasium was the host for the Christmas break basketball tournaments.  When we only needed a team of five playing and another five or so on the bench we did much better against the big schools.



Click image to enlarge
Bob Haefner, the night before the football game against the Vikings of Normandy. 1947.
Yes, it is snowing.

Now we cover the 1883 to 1924 period in our town as it relates to our "College across the street".


Click image to enlarge

The corner stone of Eden College and Theological Seminary was laid April 8, 1883, and the dedication of the new building took place October 28, 1883.

The college, surrounded by a beautiful campus, is a brick building, with a front of 168 feet, and a tower ninety-six feet high.

The first floor was used for classrooms and lecture halls, the second and third floors were dormitories, and the attic was for trunk storage. There was a full basement with under ground passage to the steam and furnace room located at the rear of the building.


Click image to enlarge

The original name of Normandy School District was District No.2, Township 46, Range 6, Eden, St Louis County, Missouri.

(That is correct, the address was "Eden".)

1923 - Normandy School Board purchased the then 25-acre Eden Seminary to be converted to Normandy High School. The ornate, four story, main seminary building was shared by the two institutions during the 1923-24 school year.

1949 August 14, A fire destroyed the upper floors of the original Eden building.  The foundation was roofed and the building was used as a maintenance and utility building, it still offered underground access to steam heat piping in tunnels.

1958 The seminary foundation was totally razed. The original clock from the Eden Seminary building was preserved and restored.

The address now is 6701 St. Charles Rock Road, (Easton). The High School still has a "campus" setting, with a quadrangle surrounded by the various halls and buildings.


Click image to enlarge

Contact the Webmaster   eMail               Main Menu