Cass Co., MO
McLellan Springs is located three miles east and two miles
north of the town of
Mr. McLellan suffered from Bright’s disease, but soon after moving to the farm he recovered and decided that the oddly flavored water from the 75-foot well on his property had curative property, especially for kidney diseases.
In 1888, McLellan
erected a new two-story house and began to offer room and board to persons who
wanted to try the curative properties of his well. By 1892, his property had become known as McLellan Springs, and by the late 1890s the well had come
under the management of the National Sanatorium Company of
Old county maps show a town by the name of McLellan Springs. It consisted of three blocks, with residence sections on the east and west ends, and a park containing the well in the center. Mr. McLellan died in 1918, and the place became neglected.
The residence built by Mc. McLellan was in use and was owned by John A. Bartholomew. The remainder of the land became farmland. The well had caved in and was never restored.
Researched and copyrighted ©by Donald L. Meador Sr.
Used here by his permission.
This was our Ghost Town of the Month for Nov 2007.
· Sec 22, T43N, R33W
Ghost Town USA’s Ghost Towns of Missouri
Detailed information on individual locations:
Listings of related groups of locations
Also visit: Ghost Town
A few LINKS to outside webpages:
FIRST POSTED: November 11, 2006
LAST UPDATED: November 11, 2006
This website and all
information posted here-in is
copyright © 1998-2013
by Gary B Speck Publications
ALL rights reserved