Mariposa Co., CA
This once-flourishing mining town dates to 1850. It is located on SH 49, about 4.7 miles northwest of Mariposa.
It was the center of a large placering area as well as being the main support center for
the famed Princeton Mine (see details below).
The post office was established July 10, 1862 as
In 1949-1950, slate was quarried at the Mount Bullion Quarry, located about three miles west of town.
In 1949, some of the remaining historic buildings included the iron-shuttered, adobe and brick Carlo MARRE Store (east side of highway) and the wood frame Frank TRABUCCO Store. The MARRE Store was built in the 1860s. The PRINCETON HOTEL was already long gone.
In April 2002, these were also all gone. Only the old school remained, and it appeared to be in process of being converted to a single family home.
· Peak: about 2000 miners
· 1930 -
· 1970 - 50
· 1980 - 110
· 1990 - 110
· 2000 - 110
· S½ Sec 7, N½ Sec 18, T5S, R18E, MDM
· Latitude: 37.4849377 / 37° 29’ 06” N
· Longitude: -120.0201759 / 120° 01’ 13” W
MINES located in the Mount Bullion Mining District include the following. Click on the appropriate links for additional details.
SOURCES: #1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 14, WPA
* * *
Return to the GTs of Mariposa Co., CA Index Page
Detailed information on individual locations:
Ghost Town USA’s Ghost Towns of California
Also visit: Ghost Town
A few LINKS to outside webpages:
First Posted: December 10, 2001
Last Updated: March 19, 2005
website and all information posted here-in is
copyright © 1998-2013
by Gary B Speck Publications
ALL rights reserved