Guide to the Ghost Towns, Mining Camps,
and Other Formerly Inhabited Places in
Locations beginning with F
FARMER’S HOPE MINE
Located at Whitlock, in the Whitlock Mining District. Actual location not determined.
Buffalo Gulch and the Feliciana Mine
#1 (below) were located along this creek. The creek flows into the
This gold mine located along Feliciana Creek was active from the 1850s-1930s. A five-stamp mill operated here. Exact location not determined.
FELICIANA MINE (#2)
One of several mines in the Jerseydale Mining District. Actual location not determined.
Could this be the same as the Feliciana Mine #1 above? (GBS)
…SEE Clearing House Mine.
In 1864, this eight-stamp gold-quartz mill
operated on the “Middle Fork” (main branch?) of the
(Unless they were two separate mills. Possibly related to the Ferguson/Clearinghouse Mine. GBS)
In the 1850s-1860s a number of ferries were
active along the
On SH 41, 18 AIR miles due east of Mariposa.
I don’t know the status of, or story behind this tiny “Map Dot.” (GBS)
In the Granite Springs Mining District, which is located in the upper northwest corner of the county, straddling the Tuolumne County line, north of Lake McClure. Most of the gold mines in the district closed down by the 1930s. Actual location of the mine is not determined.
The 1870s gold mining camp of Fly Away was located about seven miles southeast of Coulterville. There were eight mining claims here along with a five-stamp mill. It was probably (GBS speculation) located in Flyaway Gulch, which is shown on the map east of SH 49, just north of its crossing of the Merced River, at a point about 6.5 AIR miles southeast of Coulterville. Actual site of the camp is not determined.
The Flyaway Group of mines is listed by the California Division of Mines & Geology as being in the Coulterville Mining District.
On the north side of Mariposa Creek, about 1.2 miles south of the “Old Highway”, 4.5 AIR miles southeast of Cathey’s Valley, and 3.4 AIR miles southwest of Bridgeport, 0.8 miles northeast of the Moore Hill Mine. In the Cathey Mining District. It was in operation 1850s-1930s.
This 1850s placer and hard rock mining camp
operated by French miners, was located east of Mariposa Creek, 1.2 miles south
of the site of Whitlock, and about 1.5 miles north of the junction of the
…SEE also Bonnet Garden.
Located about 0.8 miles west of SH 49 at a point about 1.5 miles south of Coulterville. In 1949, this old mining settlement was still marked by the foundations and schist rock-walled ruins of the boiler building, as well as other mine buildings and cabins.
This is one of the oldest hard rock mines in the county, and was located in the Bagby Mining District, 2.4 AIR miles southeast of Bagby, about a mile east of the Pine Tree Mine and 1.2 miles east of SH 49. It closed in 1948 after producing about $116,000 in gold.
Another reference in the mid 1950s, indicated the French Mine as being located on the west side of, and adjoining, the Lucky Boy Mine. At that time there were still several mine and mill buildings remaining.
Both of these referenced locations may possibly be the same mine. (GBS)
Actual location not determined.
This 1850s era placer
gold mining camp was located along the
* * *
Return to the GTs of Mariposa Co., CA Index Page
Detailed information on individual locations:
Ghost Town USA’s Ghost Towns of California
Also visit: Ghost Town
A few LINKS to outside webpages:
First Posted: December 10, 2001
website and all information posted here-in is
copyright © 1998-2013
by Gary B Speck Publications
ALL rights reserved